The "OFFICIAL" 2015 Denon "S-series" / "X-series" AVR Owner's thread + FAQ (HDCP 2.2) - Page 269 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 101727Likes

post #8041 of 17642 Old 05-07-2016, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
You can certainly add (2) height speakers above the FL/FR speakers as either Front Height/Top Front. Whether you can add (2) more slightly forward of the main listening position will depend on how close they would be to the current SL/SR speakers as the closer they are the less of an impact you will have from them, otherwise, you can do at least the (2) up front for sure.
Thanks. My room is designed with a screen wall. The center, FL and FR are all next to and above the screen behind acoustical transparent fabric. I have two rows of seating. The SL/SR are roughly even to slightly behind the 1st row and rear surrounds are behind the 2nd row. This has always been a compromised listening position if seated in the 2nd row. I was thinking of putting the front heights slightly forward of the 1st row and the other two slightly forward of the second row. Is that that a good or poor placement of the two sets of height speakers? I can add another amp to power them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8042 of 17642 Old 05-07-2016, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi guys, I have a question. I have a AVR-S910W and was wondering if it's normal for my Audyssey setting to HAVE to be enabled (set to reference)
If i turn the EQ off, everything gets super quiet and to get it back to the levels of Audyssey being on, I have to turn the volume to about 70-80...that's 3/4 full, which doesn't seem right at all.

Overall, with EQ on, the bass is WAY louder coming out of the SVS subs...with EQ off there is no punch...which I really don't like...not sure I want my subwoofers EQ'd.. the .1 signal is supposed to be pure and handled by the sub, NO?

I watched Mad Max (EQ on) and had to keep turning the sub down, it was boomy, borderline annoying, but turn EQ off and it was barely there....why is this receiver messing with LFE output when there's no setting to adjust it to my knowledge?

Another example. Watching FRIENDS, the brief music in between scenes, there are some great bass moments where it gets really low and loud and deep...and again with the eq off, it sounds like TV speakers...just no bass, no substance overall from the rest of the speakers.

My old Pioneer (Vsx-1021k) never had this issue. I could turn EQ on or off, and there would be minor difference in sound, but nothing this drastic and volume overall remained at a constant level.

I have turntables hooked into the receiver so any Audyssey or eq crap puts a very noticeable delay between the sound output and the headphones. So when I play music I have to turn it off and pump the volume to like 80...this seems really weird to me.

Is there something wrong with my receiver???
My Bluetooth quit working too..it will connect, display the ID/Time but nothing comes out of the speakers..

Setup:
4x Infinity Primus 363's
1x Bic LCR Center
2x SVS PB-2000
14 AWG Wiring

I did set all speakers to small. Odyssey sets them to large, because they are, but everything i read, people say to set your speakers to small and x-over at 80, which again, I don't really understand, when you have 4 big ass towers capable of producing great sound down to 36HZ, why cut them off at 80...wouldnt bookshelf speakers serve the same purpose?

Hope to hear some feedback from you guys, thanks!
post #8043 of 17642 Old 05-07-2016, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I finally got my 6200 all wired up. I went with a 13.1 setup wired exactly as in the below illustration:

I have the receiver configured with the 11.1 assign mode and a floor layout of "5ch & SB & FW"

When playing back Atmos titles, I have noticed that the front wides are not used, but that the rear surrounds are. I understand that is because only 11 channels can be active at any given time.

I prefer using the front wides given the layout of my room, and I can accomplish this by going into settings and changing the floor layout to "5ch & FW". This way Atmos titles use all but the rear surround speakers.

1. Is there an easier way to toggle between using the front wides and rear surrounds?

2. When in "5ch & FW" mode, what exactly is being sent to the front wides? In a 7.1 sound track, do I loose the rear surround channels, or are they somehow incorporated into the "5ch & FW" bed?

3. When in "5ch & SB & FW" mode, is there any source material that will utilize the front wide speakers?

Thanks

Last edited by pclausen; 05-07-2016 at 01:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8044 of 17642 Old 05-07-2016, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thumbs up HDCP conflict resolved!

Quote:
Yup. As others have commented .... hogwash. I have two older 1080p TVs, neither of which has any problems. Note however, there may be an issue with your particular model of TV having a connection problem.
ISSUE SOLVED:

After a lot of research, testing and input from you all, the only conclusion I could make was there was an issue with the HDCP. Which device is at fault is anyone's guess.

Nonetheless, I found that there are certain Chinese manufacturers of HDMI splitters that, either by mistake or design, strip out the HDCP during the splitting process, leaving a "clean signal" on the output.

I purchased THIS from Amazon.

It's now in place, between the X4200W Monitor 1 OUT and the TV HDMI 1 IN, and I now have perfect video displaying on my TV with no issues.

Thanks everyone for your help!
doctorwizz and galonzo like this.

Denon AVR-X4200W receiver
Gallo Strada 2 fronts on Mapleshade stands
Gallo Strada 2 center
Gallo A'diva SE surrounds
SVS SB12-NSD sub
Hisense 55H6SG 55" smart TV
post #8045 of 17642 Old 05-07-2016, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
=accordex;43857738
I did set all speakers to small. Odyssey sets them to large, because they are, but everything i read, people say to set your speakers to small and x-over at 80, which again, I don't really understand, when you have 4 big ass towers capable of producing great sound down to 36HZ, why cut them off at 80...wouldnt bookshelf speakers serve the same purpose?

To address your last question, yes 363 are large but almost no tower speakers can Dig as deep as a dedicated sub can. Plus, sub has Ours own amp so let it do the work. Also, when speakers are set to large, the avr processes a full range signal to the speakers with the bass being the most taxing for the receiver. Your s910 is not a very powerful avr so driving four 363 ( which are claimed to be 4ohm btw) is already taxing the living hell out of the 910 even when set to small.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
galonzo and Madmax67 like this.
post #8046 of 17642 Old 05-07-2016, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I want to open the X2200W receiver tuner always on a certain fm station.

That is, I am listening to station -B-, then I close the Receiver. When I open the receiver, I would like the Tuner to open on station -A-.

I tried but no luck, can someone guide me. tia

PRESENTLY:    TCP55VT60               PS3 SLIMIR 2 BT RE-BL DENON X2200W [B] FIBETV
MOTOROLA PVR VIP-2262
PARADIGM MONITOR 7 v6 front speakersKLIPSCH SUBWOOFER
KSW10
kLIPSCH SATELITE SS-1kLIPSCH CENTER SC-1HARMONY ONE
PARADIGM ATOMS V6 (front height) NOW SYSTEM IS 5.1.2
post #8047 of 17642 Old 05-07-2016, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmar View Post
I want to open the X2200W receiver tuner always on a certain fm station.

That is, I am listening to station -B-, then I close the Receiver. When I open the receiver, I would like the Tuner to open on station -A-.

I tried but no luck, can someone guide me. tia

Open the station you want, then press and hold one of the quick select buttons, wait for it to flash and it will memorize the setting.
post #8048 of 17642 Old 05-07-2016, 03:35 PM

By doing this, saves the station in quick select, but I don't think will solve the problem if I close with station B and want to open always with station A

PRESENTLY:    TCP55VT60               PS3 SLIMIR 2 BT RE-BL DENON X2200W [B] FIBETV
MOTOROLA PVR VIP-2262
KSW10

Last edited by frankmar; 05-07-2016 at 04:03 PM.
post #8049 of 17642 Old 05-07-2016, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBCookin View Post
ISSUE SOLVED:

After a lot of research, testing and input from you all, the only conclusion I could make was there was an issue with the HDCP. Which device is at fault is anyone's guess.

Nonetheless, I found that there are certain Chinese manufacturers of HDMI splitters that, either by mistake or design, strip out the HDCP during the splitting process, leaving a "clean signal" on the output.

I purchased THIS from Amazon.

It's now in place, between the X4200W Monitor 1 OUT and the TV HDMI 1 IN, and I now have perfect video displaying on my TV with no issues.

Thanks everyone for your help!
I suggested a HMDI switch. That would have worked too. Glad that splitter worked for you!
I had the same issue a few years ago with a AVR 1912. TV has no signal or blinking. PC monitor worked fine. Out of the blue I tried a HDMI switch between the AVR and the TV, and it just worked.
I now use that 1912 for height amps and still have to use a HDMI switch to see the GUI for setup.
post #8050 of 17642 Old 05-07-2016, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 743 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22616 Post(s)
Liked: 12310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckman37 View Post
Thanks. My room is designed with a screen wall. The center, FL and FR are all next to and above the screen behind acoustical transparent fabric. I have two rows of seating. The SL/SR are roughly even to slightly behind the 1st row and rear surrounds are behind the 2nd row. This has always been a compromised listening position if seated in the 2nd row. I was thinking of putting the front heights slightly forward of the 1st row and the other two slightly forward of the second row. Is that that a good or poor placement of the two sets of height speakers? I can add another amp to power them.
Poor placement as they are not only two close to each other, but too close to the SL/SR and SBL/SBR speakers as well. As I suggested, your best placement is up front closer to the FL/FR speakers.
post #8051 of 17642 Old 05-07-2016, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordex View Post
Hi guys, I have a question. I have a AVR-S910W and was wondering if it's normal for my Audyssey setting to HAVE to be enabled (set to reference)
If i turn the EQ off, everything gets super quiet and to get it back to the levels of Audyssey being on, I have to turn the volume to about 70-80...that's 3/4 full, which doesn't seem right at all.

Overall, with EQ on, the bass is WAY louder coming out of the SVS subs...with EQ off there is no punch...which I really don't like...not sure I want my subwoofers EQ'd.. the .1 signal is supposed to be pure and handled by the sub, NO?

I watched Mad Max (EQ on) and had to keep turning the sub down, it was boomy, borderline annoying, but turn EQ off and it was barely there....why is this receiver messing with LFE output when there's no setting to adjust it to my knowledge?

Another example. Watching FRIENDS, the brief music in between scenes, there are some great bass moments where it gets really low and loud and deep...and again with the eq off, it sounds like TV speakers...just no bass, no substance overall from the rest of the speakers.

My old Pioneer (Vsx-1021k) never had this issue. I could turn EQ on or off, and there would be minor difference in sound, but nothing this drastic and volume overall remained at a constant level.

I have turntables hooked into the receiver so any Audyssey or eq crap puts a very noticeable delay between the sound output and the headphones. So when I play music I have to turn it off and pump the volume to like 80...this seems really weird to me.

Is there something wrong with my receiver???
My Bluetooth quit working too..it will connect, display the ID/Time but nothing comes out of the speakers..

Setup:
4x Infinity Primus 363's
1x Bic LCR Center
2x SVS PB-2000
14 AWG Wiring

1. "Have to be"? No as it's your setup ... you can do as you choose; however, the vast majority prefer using Audyssey as it generally does a great job EQ'ing the speakers/sub.
2. Average volume for most is going to be 50-70 (ie. > 50% as the Denon uses a logarithmic volume where the higher volume is reached closer to 3/4 of max volume).
3. The Sub is actually the one speaker that needs the most EQing, so yes, you want it EQ'd for better audio quality.
4. Just as the AVR has leveled each speaker to pass a 75db test tone to the main listening position, so to has it done so for the sub as well. After running Audyssey, most owners find the sub to be weak and in fact generally raise the subwoofer level (ie. Manual Setup - Test Tones - Subwoofer) about 3-5db. In your case you may wan to adjust it down a few db.
5. Your SVS subs are far more capable of passing the lower frequencies < 80Hz then are your FL/FR speakers.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #8052 of 17642 Old 05-07-2016, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclausen View Post
I finally got my 6200 all wired up. I went with a 13.1 setup wired exactly as in the below illustration:

I have the receiver configured with the 11.1 assign mode and a floor layout of "5ch & SB & FW"

When playing back Atmos titles, I have noticed that the front wides are not used, but that the rear surrounds are. I understand that is because only 11 channels can be active at any given time.

I prefer using the front wides given the layout of my room, and I can accomplish this by going into settings and changing the floor layout to "5ch & FW". This way Atmos titles use all but the rear surround speakers.

1. Is there an easier way to toggle between using the front wides and rear surrounds?

2. When in "5ch & FW" mode, what exactly is being sent to the front wides? In a 7.1 sound track, do I loose the rear surround channels, or are they somehow incorporated into the "5ch & FW" bed?

3. When in "5ch & SB & FW" mode, is there any source material that will utilize the front wide speakers?

Thanks
1. No, rather you must sacrifice either the SB or one set of heights (eg. using Audyssey DSX).
2. When playing an Atmos audio track ... whatever object audio is directed to the Front Wide speaker. 7.1 is down mixed to 5.1.
3. Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, however, you can also simulate audio to the Front Wide using Audyssey DSX and DTS Neural:X as well.
post #8053 of 17642 Old 05-07-2016, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
By doing this, saves the station in quick select, but I don't think will solve the problem if I close with station B and want to open always with station A
Yes, it actually does.
post #8054 of 17642 Old 05-07-2016, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Could be your TV is doing this.
It was definitely the Denon overlay, not connected to the TV with ARC.
post #8055 of 17642 Old 05-07-2016, 09:11 PM

I t does not work, unless I did miss a step.

I set 98.5 on quick select pos 4.

I then closed the avr at station 95.6

When I opened the avr it opened at 95.6 in reality it should have opened at 98.5

Then if I press quick select 4 it goes to 98.5

Did I miss a step somewhere. tia

MOTOROLA PVR VIP-2262
KSW10
post #8056 of 17642 Old 05-07-2016, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
If you don't mind stereo in the main zone as well ... select OPTION - ALL ZONE STEREO on the remote. Otherwise if you want to maintain 5.1 in the main zone, then also connect an analog audio cable (red/white) from the source to the same source name analog inputs (eg. CBL/SAT).
Thank you for the response. That's exactly what I was looking for.
post #8057 of 17642 Old 05-07-2016, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Had my X3200 set up for the last 5 days now. It replaced a Yamaha RX-V1900. I have to report the RX-V1900 has been re-installed this evening. The Denon sounds like utter garbage to me. The sound is over processed. The center channel can't be understood. I don't want to sit in my living room at 75db just to hear the center channel at night. I can do that on my Yammy at 22db and it is crystal clear.

I don't really understand what is wrong with this thing. Ran the setup 8 times and its different every time. It makes my center sound like it is under water. Sound quality is sub standard at best. If this is how it sounds for all of you, you should really try Yamaha because my 6 year old receiver blows this thing out of the water in sound quality. Pretty down after all this hyped up review here. Denon strike two for me. First one was DOA.
post #8058 of 17642 Old 05-08-2016, 12:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

When I opened the avr it opened at 95.6 in reality it should have opened at 98.5

Did you turn your avr on using quick select 4 button instead of the power button? If not, when avr is off, just press quick select 4 and it will go to whatever setting was memorized
post #8059 of 17642 Old 05-08-2016, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz063 View Post
It was definitely the Denon overlay, not connected to the TV with ARC.
ARC has nothing to do with it (ie. audio only), rather simply that the TV can have its own volume overlay as well as the AVR's volume overlay (eg. common with Samsung TVs). If you are confident that the overlay is from the Denon .. then will have to wait to hear from others that might have experienced this.
post #8060 of 17642 Old 05-08-2016, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

As a reminder ..... there are (3) ways to power on the AVR .....

(1) Press the power button which then powers on the AVR and selects the last source used prior to going to Standby
(2) Press a specific source button which powers on the AVR and selects that specific source
(3) Press a Quick Select button which powers on the AVR and selects the specific source stored under that Quick Select (ie. can be different for each Quick Select)
post #8061 of 17642 Old 05-08-2016, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prismx View Post
Had my X3200 set up for the last 5 days now. It replaced a Yamaha RX-V1900. I have to report the RX-V1900 has been re-installed this evening. The Denon sounds like utter garbage to me. The sound is over processed. The center channel can't be understood. I don't want to sit in my living room at 75db just to hear the center channel at night. I can do that on my Yammy at 22db and it is crystal clear.

I don't really understand what is wrong with this thing. Ran the setup 8 times and its different every time. It makes my center sound like it is under water. Sound quality is sub standard at best. If this is how it sounds for all of you, you should really try Yamaha because my 6 year old receiver blows this thing out of the water in sound quality. Pretty down after all this hyped up review here. Denon strike two for me. First one was DOA.

Strange that as a 10 year AVSForum member you would simply dis the X3200W outright without even asking for assistance about what you could do to improve your experience. Most owners are thrilled with their experience, especially after running Audyssey.

Are you familiar with how Audyssey works? Did you run all 8 mic positions each time? Have you read the Audyssey FAQ provided in the Official Audyssey thread sticky? A short summary would be that you need to use either the cardboard mic stand provided or ideally a mic boom stand and focus all 8 mic positions within 1-2' of the main listening position only (ie. where you sit). If there is a high back, the mic needs to be placed a few inches above the back of the seat. If against a back wall, the mic needs to be no closer than 2' from the back wall.

How to improve center channel dialogue - ensure the center speaker is angled directly at your head and not at your knees (if on a lower shelf) ..... when listening to a cable/sat source and using Dynamic EQ, set the Reference Level Offset to 10db which will reduce the bass/surround boost thus improving the audio .... for night time listening especially, try using Dynamic Volume (Med) which will help to boost the lower level dialogue allowing you to lower the master volume.

Additionally, the FL/FR speakers should be toed in towards the main listening position.

Ensure also to run Audyssey again after making any speaker positioning adjustments.
Madmax67 likes this.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 05-08-2016 at 02:49 AM.
post #8062 of 17642 Old 05-08-2016, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hello, I am running a small 5.1 system in my living room. I purchased a X1200 from a member on here and I am not quite happy with the SQ and went out and purchased a X4200. I still have it in the box and was wondering if before I opened it, does it make sense to purchase the x6200 instead. This is my main room for watching regular tv along with sports. All movies are watched in dedicated home theater in the basement. So I guess Im asking is the X6200 worth the $800ish extra $'s?

Thank you so much.

Theater: Denon AVR 4520ci - Emotiva XPR-5 - Denon 3313 BDP - L/C/R Klipsch KL7800 THX, SL/SR Klipsch KS7800 THX SBL/SBL, FHL/FHR, FWL/FWR Klipsch 5800W - (2) Epik Empire subs/(1) DIY 18" sub - Darbee Darblet - Epson 5030UB/150" Fixed Mount Screen

Family Room: Denon AVR X6200W - Sony XBR55X930D - Samsung UBD-K8500 - (5) Speakercraft Profile AIM8 One
post #8063 of 17642 Old 05-08-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
As a reminder ..... there are (3) ways to power on the AVR .....

(1) Press the power button which then powers on the AVR and selects the last source used prior to going to Standby
(2) Press a specific source button which powers on the AVR and selects that specific source
(3) Press a Quick Select button which powers on the AVR and selects the specific source stored under that Quick Select (ie. can be different for each Quick Select)
1 and 3 that I know going to work on 2 and and at the same time refresh my memory to do it in Harmony one.

Its almost a week I have the X2200w, and not as refined as the AVR1910. I am tweeking it especially on different sources of imput where volume is not the same. But I'll come back and post more details on it later. thanks

MOTOROLA PVR VIP-2262
KSW10
post #8064 of 17642 Old 05-08-2016, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Strange that as a 10 year AVSForum member you would simply dis the X3200W outright without even asking for assistance about what you could do to improve your experience. Most owners are thrilled with their experience, especially after running Audyssey.

Are you familiar with how Audyssey works? Did you run all 8 mic positions each time? Have you read the Audyssey FAQ provided in the Official Audyssey thread sticky? A short summary would be that you need to use either the cardboard mic stand provided or ideally a mic boom stand and focus all 8 mic positions within 1-2' of the main listening position only (ie. where you sit). If there is a high back, the mic needs to be placed a few inches above the back of the seat. If against a back wall, the mic needs to be no closer than 2' from the back wall.

How to improve center channel dialogue - ensure the center speaker is angled directly at your head and not at your knees (if on a lower shelf) ..... when listening to a cable/sat source and using Dynamic EQ, set the Reference Level Offset to 10db which will reduce the bass/surround boost thus improving the audio .... for night time listening especially, try using Dynamic Volume (Med) which will help to boost the lower level dialogue allowing you to lower the master volume.

Additionally, the FL/FR speakers should be toed in towards the main listening position.

Ensure also to run Audyssey again after making any speaker positioning adjustments.
I appreciate you posting this. I don't mean to come across as rude, I was just super down about it. I have followed every step in this thread to the T. I have used the mic as described. I have ran Audyssey 8 different times in all 8 positions are recommended. I have removed my living room table, I have removed my speaker covers. I have raised the Dynamic Volume (actually medium does allow for clearer voice but it sounds robotic now and not natural). I have set the Dynamic EQ. No matter the changes. The audio sounds absolutely terrible.
Maybe my unit is defective. All my speakers levels are constantly off too. Crossover for center was set to 60. Fronts to 40. Rears to 120. I changed the settings to 80 but no avail. It still sounds horrid. It did set my speakers to small so that is a plus. I attempted to adjust the levels myself by using options and raising the center to 5 and lowering the sides to -1. It helped a little but as soon as I watch something on HBO or TV its sounds muffled and under water. I can't make much of an adjustment for the center as it sits in its space below the TV. I would say it faces about my stomach height.

The Yamaha has NONE of these issues. I ran YAPAO and everything is crystal clear. I can only conclude that I have a broken unit. Music over stereo sounds amazing with it though.

My setup is: Energy RC-30 fronts, Energy LCR Center, PL-200 Sub, with Energy CR-10 Surround Speakers. The Cable receiver is a Hopper 3. TV is a older Sharp 52".
post #8065 of 17642 Old 05-08-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohcho View Post
Did you turn your avr on using quick select 4 button instead of the power button? If not, when avr is off, just press quick select 4 and it will go to whatever setting was memorized
Did not think about that. Cause I power on my units through the Harmony one. I modified the H1 and instead selecting tuner, selected QS 4 and voila works good. TIA

MOTOROLA PVR VIP-2262
KSW10

Last edited by frankmar; 05-08-2016 at 07:02 AM.
post #8066 of 17642 Old 05-08-2016, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prismx View Post
I appreciate you posting this. I don't mean to come across as rude, I was just super down about it. I have followed every step in this thread to the T. I have used the mic as described. I have ran Audyssey 8 different times in all 8 positions are recommended. I have removed my living room table, I have removed my speaker covers. I have raised the Dynamic Volume (actually medium does allow for clearer voice but it sounds robotic now and not natural). I have set the Dynamic EQ. No matter the changes. The audio sounds absolutely terrible.
Maybe my unit is defective. All my speakers levels are constantly off too. Crossover for center was set to 60. Fronts to 40. Rears to 120. I changed the settings to 80 but no avail. It still sounds horrid. It did set my speakers to small so that is a plus. I attempted to adjust the levels myself by using options and raising the center to 5 and lowering the sides to -1. It helped a little but as soon as I watch something on HBO or TV its sounds muffled and under water. I can't make much of an adjustment for the center as it sits in its space below the TV. I would say it faces about my stomach height.

The Yamaha has NONE of these issues. I ran YAPAO and everything is crystal clear. I can only conclude that I have a broken unit. Music over stereo sounds amazing with it though.

My setup is: Energy RC-30 fronts, Energy LCR Center, PL-200 Sub, with Energy CR-10 Surround Speakers. The Cable receiver is a Hopper 3. TV is a older Sharp 52".
How so? The crossovers you list appear to be normal. It's also possible you may have received a defective mic, although keep in mind that the speaker crossovers/levels are set based on how your speakers react in their current environment, which might not necessarily be the same as the mfr's specs.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #8067 of 17642 Old 05-08-2016, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Schmidt View Post
Hello, I am running a small 5.1 system in my living room. I purchased a X1200 from a member on here and I am not quite happy with the SQ and went out and purchased a X4200. I still have it in the box and was wondering if before I opened it, does it make sense to purchase the x6200 instead. This is my main room for watching regular tv along with sports. All movies are watched in dedicated home theater in the basement. So I guess Im asking is the X6200 worth the $800ish extra $'s?

Thank you so much.
Only if you plan on expanding to Atmos 7.2.4 or otherwise have 4-ohm speakers and like to listen at movie reference volume levels.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #8068 of 17642 Old 05-08-2016, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Only if you plan on expanding to Atmos 7.2.4 or otherwise have 4-ohm speakers and like to listen at movie reference volume levels.
Thank you so very much for your reply!

I do not plan on expanding this room, nor do I have 4-ohm speakers in this room. I have Speakercraft in ceiling speakers. Nothing crazy... I just was thinking that the X6200 made sense for if I ever switch out my theater receiver which is a Denon 4520ci. The X4200 seems to have plenty of power, but wanted to make sure that going with the X6200 wasn't the better choice.

Theater: Denon AVR 4520ci - Emotiva XPR-5 - Denon 3313 BDP - L/C/R Klipsch KL7800 THX, SL/SR Klipsch KS7800 THX SBL/SBL, FHL/FHR, FWL/FWR Klipsch 5800W - (2) Epik Empire subs/(1) DIY 18" sub - Darbee Darblet - Epson 5030UB/150" Fixed Mount Screen

Family Room: Denon AVR X6200W - Sony XBR55X930D - Samsung UBD-K8500 - (5) Speakercraft Profile AIM8 One
post #8069 of 17642 Old 05-08-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
How so? The crossovers you list appear to be normal. It's also possible you may have received a defective mic, although keep in mind that the speaker crossovers/levels are set based on how your speakers react in their current environment, which might not necessarily be the same as the mfr's specs.
Are you suggesting to leave the crossover settings as they are? Going by the guide it suggests to raise it to 80.

I am debating to give it one last chance and set it up again but I just don't think I should have to constantly fiddle with settings for every single movie I might play.
post #8070 of 17642 Old 05-08-2016, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
1. "Have to be"? No as it's your setup ... you can do as you choose; however, the vast majority prefer using Audyssey as it generally does a great job EQ'ing the speakers/sub.
2. Average volume for most is going to be 50-70 (ie. > 50% as the Denon uses a logarithmic volume where the higher volume is reached closer to 3/4 of max volume).
3. The Sub is actually the one speaker that needs the most EQing, so yes, you want it EQ'd for better audio quality.
4. Just as the AVR has leveled each speaker to pass a 75db test tone to the main listening position, so to has it done so for the sub as well. After running Audyssey, most owners find the sub to be weak and in fact generally raise the subwoofer level (ie. Manual Setup - Test Tones - Subwoofer) about 3-5db. In your case you may wan to adjust it down a few db.
5. Your SVS subs are far more capable of passing the lower frequencies < 80Hz then are your FL/FR speakers.
Thanks for the input!!!
My main concern, with these 2 VERY expensive subs, is that since, like I said, the difference is SO night/day that, the EQ is putting some kind of +10 trim, or huge DB (eq) boost, that I cannot see, or change, and is sending a dirty/distorted signal to them, and potentially harming them...could that be the case??? I'm guessing it would be hard to detect with these things until it's too late..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
4:4:4 , alexa , arc , audyseey , Audyssey , avr , AVR-X2200W , bluetooth , chroma , connect , Denon , denon 2200w , denon x1200w , lfe , s710w , s910w , spotify , x-1200w , x1200w , x2200w , x3200w , x4200 , x4200w , x6200w , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page