The "OFFICIAL" 2015 Denon "S-series" / "X-series" AVR Owner's thread + FAQ (HDCP 2.2) - Page 280 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 101681Likes

post #8371 of 17508 Old 05-20-2016, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbro View Post
I have a man cave in one room. A "Gym" with a TV and two speakers so I can watch TV while running in the next room.
This setup worked perfectly with my Pioneer until it blew an HDMI port.
So I bought an AVR-S910W! Huge upgrade! But I'm trying to set up Zone2.

Through research, I've found out that Zone2 requires analog in order to output. I can play internet radio but not my movies in Zone2 from what I've read I have to analog from source (the Mac Mini) to the AVR-S910W. There are no RCA connections on the Mac mini. Any suggestions?
Does it have a headphone jack?

http://www.monoprice.com/category?c_...&cs_id=1021815
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8372 of 17508 Old 05-20-2016, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 701 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21991 Post(s)
Liked: 11927
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbro View Post
I have a man cave in one room. A "Gym" with a TV and two speakers so I can watch TV while running in the next room.
This setup worked perfectly with my Pioneer until it blew an HDMI port.
So I bought an AVR-S910W! Huge upgrade! But I'm trying to set up Zone2.

Through research, I've found out that Zone2 requires analog in order to output. I can play internet radio but not my movies in Zone2 from what I've read I have to analog from source (the Mac Mini) to the AVR-S910W. There are no RCA connections on the Mac mini. Any suggestions?
In order to pass an HDMI source to Zone 2, on the Denon remote select OPTION - ALL ZONE STEREO which will down mix the audio in the main zone to stereo as well.
fredbro likes this.
post #8373 of 17508 Old 05-20-2016, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post
I've searched this thread but couldn't find an answer. Is there any setting on my S710W that will turn off the power to the front USB port when I turn off the receiver, or is it always on regardless of settings? Thanks!
Yup. Set the Setup - Network - Network Control setting (p. 195 Owner's manual) to "Off in Standby" which will turn off the USB jack but also disable the capability to power on the AVR using a smart phone app.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8374 of 17508 Old 05-20-2016, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneman View Post
Funny you should mention about features the 4200 doesn't have that older (Denon) models had--I just noticed that the 4200 also doesn't have any switched AC outlets, unlike the 3808ci which has TWO of them; I suppose this may have been a decision based in part due to most folks not ever using them and/or as a cost-cutting measure (i.e., de-contenting). Now granted that I never really did make use of them on my 3808 which is probably why I didn't notice that they weren't present on the 4200 to begin with, but still...

I also liked the dual input/output channel indicators on the display that the 3808 had but are not present on the 4200...no biggie but it would have been nice to have them.

Although not present on the front panel display, you can see both on the TV by simply pressing the INFO button on the Denon remote.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 05-20-2016 at 10:26 AM.
post #8375 of 17508 Old 05-20-2016, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
In order to pass an HDMI source to Zone 2, on the Denon remote select OPTION - ALL ZONE STEREO which will down mix the audio in the main zone to stereo as well.
THANK YOU SOO MUCH!! That works perfectly! And when I'm done running I just switch it back the same way!

As far as monoprice.com goes, I buy so much from them they're sending me $100.00 wine cards so I need to easy up with them..
Thank you again for helping soo quickly with this!

Fred
post #8376 of 17508 Old 05-20-2016, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminG View Post
Hi all, I'm still tossing up whether to get a x6200w when I update my display, or if I should perhaps hang on a little longer. Perhaps some kind soul might be able to assist with two questions.

1) Will the current range pass Dolby Vision HDR content ?
2) Is the model likely to be pass dynamic HDR when the 2.1 update hits?

Any assistance would be gratefully received. My local retailer had no idea.

Cheers,
Ben
1. AFAIK, it has not been spec'd for AVR processing, so not likely.
2. No. This is a hardware update and AFAIK, HDMI 2.1 chipsets not likely available until the 2018 models are released.
post #8377 of 17508 Old 05-20-2016, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by grossag View Post
I am running into the exact same issue with the Denon AVR-X4200W and the DirecTV C61K. I called Denon today to get a support ticket filed about this issue and they said they would get back to me next week. Did you end up getting a fix to this issue? Specifically, I am running into the following issues:

1. Sometimes the DirecTV receiver believes that the Denon receiver doesn't support 4K.
  2. Any time I switch from 720p/1080i to 4K or the reverse, the TV says "No signal".

My AVR settings are: 4K upscaling disabled, HDMI passthrough enabled, ARC off.

Everything works fine when going directly from my DirecTV to the TV. I have tried two different up-to-date HDMI cables that both support [email protected] (one active and one passive). So to me this rules out the HDMI cable and the DirecTV unit, showing that it's specifically a Denon receiver issue. Soft resets don't resolve the issue either.

The workaround for both issues is to either (1) power off the AVR and power it back on or (2) switch the AVR to a different HDMI input then switch it back. So it appears to be a Denon firmware issue where it doesn't handle the resolution switch or HDCP handshake renegotation well when it's already turned on and receiving input.
Something similar happening here. I´ve got a Denon 4200 and set it up with a Samsung Js8500, the thing is that when i'm in Netflix I see no Option for 4K (in the description piece I use to see 4K - 5.1 - etc, etc, but since I have connected my denon no more 4K using Netflix.
Is there any setup i should modify in order to get that? i checked it out and all seem to be correct.I have all wired with HDMI 1.4 which should work for 4K (?)

I will appreciate any help.

thanks in advance
post #8378 of 17508 Old 05-20-2016, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 26
If my X6200 is passing through the signal from my Direct TV box, Apple TV or my Blu Ray player, is it just passing through the signal or is it up converting it first and applying any video configurations?

I want the TV doing the video processing? Correct?

Theater: Denon AVR 4520ci - Emotiva XPR-5 - Denon 3313 BDP - L/C/R Klipsch KL7800 THX, SL/SR Klipsch KS7800 THX SBL/SBL, FHL/FHR, FWL/FWR Klipsch 5800W - (2) Epik Empire subs/(1) DIY 18" sub - Darbee Darblet - Epson 5030UB/150" Fixed Mount Screen

Family Room: Denon AVR X6200W - Sony XBR55X930D - Samsung UBD-K8500 - (5) Speakercraft Profile AIM8 One
post #8379 of 17508 Old 05-20-2016, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Schmidt View Post
If my X6200 is passing through the signal from my Direct TV box, Apple TV or my Blu Ray player, is it just passing through the signal or is it up converting it first and applying any video configurations?

I want the TV doing the video processing? Correct?
If all of your sources are HDMI, there is no "up conversion" being done and the "i/p Scaler" setting factory defaults to "Analog" so is effectively OFF if you're only passing HDMI sources, otherwise, you can manually set it to OFF.
post #8380 of 17508 Old 05-20-2016, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Yup. Set the Setup - Network - Network Control setting (p. 195 Owner's manual) to "Off in Standby" which will turn off the USB jack but also disable the capability to power on the AVR using a smart phone app.
Thank you! Your awesomeness is abundant.
post #8381 of 17508 Old 05-20-2016, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Network Card Reset - can be done while X4200W is ON

Tried using my X4200W today, using the USB input to listen to some hi res audio, but got the NO CONNECTION message, switched to Internet Radio and OnLine Music, and on both inputs got the same message. I power cycled and reset my home router/access point, but still had the issue. I could not connect to the AVR via the Apple App.

So, I did the Network Card Reset - pushed in DIMMER and SETUP Buttons on the front panel. Message on display - Network Reset - Please Wait. (or something like that). Sure enough, after a few seconds, the NO CONNECTION message went away and all of the WLAN options worked fine.
galonzo likes this.
post #8382 of 17508 Old 05-20-2016, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
the 3rd HDMI output is dedicated to Zone 2. So in order to use it you need to power on Zone 2 and select the specified source. Note that it's for Zone 2 which is a matrix passthrough, the HDMI audio will NOT be stripped and played in surround sound as the untouched signal will simply pass on through to the display.
Thanks!! Gonna give it a shot.
post #8383 of 17508 Old 05-20-2016, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So a question for you pros out there. I have a Onkyo TX-SR607 receiver that I'm going to use to run my outdoor patio system. My question is with all the new Denon's coming out there seems to be some good deals on the AVR-S910W and AVR-X2200W, which of these two would you purchase, or would you go to the newer 920? All are in the $500 - 580 mark. I've read so many reviews on these that I'm at the point of just asking. TIA.

SAMSUNG SAM-UN75JU 75" 4K Ultra High Definition TV
POLK Audio Vanishing RT Series in-wall 6.5" 2 way
PLK V60 POLK AUDIO 6.5" in-ceiling
Polk DSWPRO 660wi 12-inch High Performance Subwoofer /400 WATTS
Onkyo TX-SR607
post #8384 of 17508 Old 05-20-2016, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 329
How do I set up to listen to Tidal, a high resolution streaming service?

Jack
post #8385 of 17508 Old 05-20-2016, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetJunkies View Post
So a question for you pros out there. I have a Onkyo TX-SR607 receiver that I'm going to use to run my outdoor patio system. My question is with all the new Denon's coming out there seems to be some good deals on the AVR-S910W and AVR-X2200W, which of these two would you purchase, or would you go to the newer 920? All are in the $500 - 580 mark. I've read so many reviews on these that I'm at the point of just asking. TIA.
I had this exact question, did some research and ended up with the X2200.
post #8386 of 17508 Old 05-21-2016, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjulio View Post
Tried using my X4200W today, using the USB input to listen to some hi res audio, but got the NO CONNECTION message, switched to Internet Radio and OnLine Music, and on both inputs got the same message. I power cycled and reset my home router/access point, but still had the issue. I could not connect to the AVR via the Apple App.

So, I did the Network Card Reset - pushed in DIMMER and SETUP Buttons on the front panel. Message on display - Network Reset - Please Wait. (or something like that). Sure enough, after a few seconds, the NO CONNECTION message went away and all of the WLAN options worked fine.
Thanks for the follow up. I've edited post 5 to reflect this procedure works for both the X4200W and X6200W.
galonzo and Madmax67 like this.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 05-21-2016 at 01:58 AM.
post #8387 of 17508 Old 05-21-2016, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 86
My S910W just bit the bullet. I've tried a hard reset and microprocessor reset multiple times with no luck. Right now it will power on, but I get no sound and no picture. I've tried multiple inputs and multiple displays. Sometimes I get get to the network interface, sometimes not. Right now I'm trying to restore my audyssey config just to see if that will do anything. What's interesting is that when I plug the audyssey mic in it will let me run audyssey setup and I can hear the tones.

I've called denon and they told me that I need to send it to an authorized repair center, at my cost of course, but return shipping is covered under warranty. I just bought this unit 40 days ago and am just outside the normal return window from the company I bought it from, it was a referb, so maybe I won't go that route in the future, but I've never had issues with referb equipment in the past.

Does anyone have any ideas that I should try before I drop the money to ship it to a repair facility?

I am trying to see if the company I bought it from will cut me a break since it's just outside the return window.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk
post #8388 of 17508 Old 05-21-2016, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazinvan View Post
I had this exact question, did some research and ended up with the X2200.
Just curious, what was your deciding factor? Any connectivity issues or setup issues?

SAMSUNG SAM-UN75JU 75" 4K Ultra High Definition TV
POLK Audio Vanishing RT Series in-wall 6.5" 2 way
PLK V60 POLK AUDIO 6.5" in-ceiling
Polk DSWPRO 660wi 12-inch High Performance Subwoofer /400 WATTS
Onkyo TX-SR607
post #8389 of 17508 Old 05-21-2016, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjmc99 View Post
My S910W just bit the bullet. I've tried a hard reset and microprocessor reset multiple times with no luck. Right now it will power on, but I get no sound and no picture. I've tried multiple inputs and multiple displays. Sometimes I get get to the network interface, sometimes not. Right now I'm trying to restore my audyssey config just to see if that will do anything. What's interesting is that when I plug the audyssey mic in it will let me run audyssey setup and I can hear the tones.

I've called denon and they told me that I need to send it to an authorized repair center, at my cost of course, but return shipping is covered under warranty. I just bought this unit 40 days ago and am just outside the normal return window from the company I bought it from, it was a referb, so maybe I won't go that route in the future, but I've never had issues with referb equipment in the past.

Does anyone have any ideas that I should try before I drop the money to ship it to a repair facility?

I am trying to see if the company I bought it from will cut me a break since it's just outside the return window.

Did you call (no email) and talk with someone at the vendor you purchased from? A few years ago I bought my 1st, and last HK AVR from jr and it died after 43 days (13 days past window) and I thought I was screwed, but I called them and they said no problem, and I was able to return it (they paid return shipping) and I got my first Denon AVR in return.

It's always worth an phone call, as the worst that can happen is no.
post #8390 of 17508 Old 05-21-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
Did you call (no email) and talk with someone at the vendor you purchased from? A few years ago I bought my 1st, and last HK AVR from jr and it died after 43 days (13 days past window) and I thought I was screwed, but I called them and they said no problem, and I was able to return it (they paid return shipping) and I got my first Denon AVR in return.

It's always worth an phone call, as the worst that can happen is no.
I haven't tried calling yet, I don't believe they are open on the weekends, the vendor is a4l...

I will give it a shot on Monday.

post #8391 of 17508 Old 05-21-2016, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Power off the AVR and unplug the power cable for at least 10 minutes. Then refer to post 5 of this thread and do a "Hard" reset at least 4-5 times in a row. If still no joy, then as recommended above, call the vendor and see if they will exchange the unit.
post #8392 of 17508 Old 05-21-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Power off the AVR and unplug the power cable for at least 10 minutes. Then refer to post 5 of this thread and do a "Hard" reset at least 4-5 times in a row. If still no joy, then as recommended above, call the vendor and see if they will exchange the unit.
I'm going to leave it unplugged for a few hours and try again.

Does anyone know if it's possible to reflash the latest firmware? I haven't found a procedure to do so, I keep getting stopped at the update process since I already have the latest firmware. If this is possible it could help if the current code got corrupted on avr.

And as I was writing this. The vendor basically told me to talk to denon for a direct replacement, which to me sounds like what I was told by denon to send to a repair facility. Unless there is another option I'm not aware of.

post #8393 of 17508 Old 05-21-2016, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
1. AFAIK, it has not been spec'd for AVR processing, so not likely.
2. No. This is a hardware update and AFAIK, HDMI 2.1 chipsets not likely available until the 2018 models are released.
Interesting. I was wondering if it'd come out in 2017, but in retrospect probably not since it's probably still too early.

I guess the significance of this now is that it will make no difference for the decision between choosing a 2015 model vs. a 2016 model this year.

In fact, even the new Philips UHD Blu-ray player coming out this month doesn't support HDMI 2.1, despite the fact that it's Philips who is pushing this change to the HDMI standard. (The player supports up to HDMI 2.0a / HDCP 2.2.)
post #8394 of 17508 Old 05-21-2016, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm going to leave it unplugged for a few hours and try again.

Does anyone know if it's possible to reflash the latest firmware? I haven't found a procedure to do so, I keep getting stopped at the update process since I already have the latest firmware. If this is possible it could help if the current code got corrupted on avr.

And as I was writing this. The vendor basically told me to talk to denon for a direct replacement, which to me sounds like what I was told by denon to send to a repair facility. Unless there is another option I'm not aware of.

The latest, AFAIK, no, but a previous version, yes; however, the trick would be to find the previous version of firmware code.
post #8395 of 17508 Old 05-21-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
The latest, AFAIK, no, but a previous version, yes; however, the trick would be to find the previous version of firmware code.
Well if anybody has an older firmware for the s910w I'll give it a shot.

The vendor did however get back to me and said I could bring it in for testing and "if" it fails they will replace it. So that is good. I would still like to solve the issue myself if possible, that's just the way I am, but when hardware fails, there isn't much you can do about that.

post #8396 of 17508 Old 05-21-2016, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
How do I set up to listen to Tidal, a high resolution streaming service?
On the Tidal website they say they are supported by Denon HEOS. Does this mean that I can play a Tidal stream on my X3200W?

Jack
post #8397 of 17508 Old 05-21-2016, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'm currently using the x2200w and have been enjoying for the past 2 months. I set it up wirelessly to my wireless router and its been working just fine. So this past week I've been trying out Spotify and Apple Music via my iPhone 6 and using AirPlay to wirelessly stream it. It has been very hit or miss on connectivity for me. So today I decided to go into the Network settings of the receiver and its saying its connected to my router but when I do network diagnostics, scan for networks or search for firmware it just says "Please Wait..." Have there been any issues with the 2200 having wireless connectivity issues? If so, is there a way to reset the network settings for the lower end series like the 3200, 2200 yet?? Thanks in advance.
post #8398 of 17508 Old 05-21-2016, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1779 Post(s)
Liked: 1762
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminG View Post
Hi all, I'm still tossing up whether to get a x6200w when I update my display, or if I should perhaps hang on a little longer. Perhaps some kind soul might be able to assist with two questions.

1) Will the current range pass Dolby Vision HDR content ?
2) Is the model likely to be pass dynamic HDR when the 2.1 update hits?

Any assistance would be gratefully received. My local retailer had no idea.

Cheers,
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Dolby Vision does not piggyback on HDR10. The two formats are packaged differently. This is why Dolby Vision content does not even require HDMI 2.0a, while HDR10 does.
post #8399 of 17508 Old 05-21-2016, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I got an awesome deal on a new x4200w to replace my x4000. I needed 4k60 and HDCP 2.2. My wife went on an errand and I quickly did the swap out. Still need to run Audessy. All stealth mode.

This is my 4th Denon. So far so good. I thought about something lesser but just couldn't do it. I was about to buy a refurbished unit from Accessories4less when I found a new one locally for the same money. Yippee!!
muzz, doctorwizz, galonzo and 3 others like this.
post #8400 of 17508 Old 05-21-2016, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post
I got an awesome deal on a new x4200w to replace my x4000. I needed 4k60 and HDCP 2.2. My wife went on an errand and I quickly did the swap out. Still need to run Audessy. All stealth mode.

This is my 4th Denon. So far so good. I thought about something lesser but just couldn't do it. I was about to buy a refurbished unit from Accessories4less when I found a new one locally for the same money. Yippee!!
Nice! Did you hide the x4000?
Edit: My wife didn't even notice the ceiling speakers until I pointed to them.
galonzo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
4:4:4 , alexa , arc , audyseey , Audyssey , avr , AVR-X2200W , bluetooth , chroma , connect , Denon , denon 2200w , denon x1200w , lfe , s710w , s910w , spotify , x-1200w , x1200w , x2200w , x3200w , x4200 , x4200w , x6200w , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page