The "OFFICIAL" 2015 Denon "S-series" / "X-series" AVR Owner's thread + FAQ (HDCP 2.2) - Page 293 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 101761Likes

post #8761 of 17765 Old 06-05-2016, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
What signal is the PC passing? Are both Monitor1 and Monitor2 outputs connected? What if you set the Video Output to "Monitor1" instead of "Auto"?
Update: I sorted this out
this was my Intel HD driver setting that did scaling (should be set to Maintain Display scaling to disable)

Last edited by ahtoh; 06-05-2016 at 10:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8762 of 17765 Old 06-05-2016, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Dolby Surround is Dolby's new upmixer. It upmixes the incoming audio signal to make use of all of your speakers when the incoming signal has fewer channels than you have speakers. It is provided instead of the older Dolby ProLogic II but has fewer controls. While playing a soundtrack, press on the Movie button to choose an appropriate sound mode, with or without Dolby Surround enabled. Note that this has to be done while a soundtrack is actually playing. Different options are available depending on the type of input signal.
Do you conceivably have to set the dsu for every type of signal you can get your hands on then?

2 channel, mono, dd, truehd, dd+, ect...
post #8763 of 17765 Old 06-05-2016, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post
Do you conceivably have to set the dsu for every type of signal you can get your hands on then?

I don't think so, if you are listening to atmos and you choose the surround" option it will remember that, if you are listening to pcm, could be 2-7 channel, it will use the up mixer, if you are listening to a dts signal it will switch to straight dts. This is per source. At least that is my experience, also audyssey settings are per source as well, so you can set Sirius to 10 or 15 dB for dynamic eq or volume, as opposed to 0 or 5 for your blurays or TV.

Posted with my BlackBerry PRIV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8764 of 17765 Old 06-05-2016, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmar View Post
On my avr1910, the Dolby Prologic sounded better, the back surround did not interfere much with the center speaker, While the Dolby surround sometimes the sound of the Back speakers get a little noisier and thus overpowering the center speaker.

Therefore I put it in 2.1 stereo. While with the Dolby Prologic I did not have to do that.
Turn off Dynamic EQ if its is on.
post #8765 of 17765 Old 06-06-2016, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
[quote=jdsmoothie;44449369]Ensure you are using the more current "Premium" 4k/18Gbps HDMI cables.

Replaced cables with 4K, with the same results. Still no picture detected on the LG's UHD enabled HDMI ports
post #8766 of 17765 Old 06-06-2016, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 766 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23214 Post(s)
Liked: 12738
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtoh View Post
Update: I sorted this out
this was my Intel HD driver setting that did scaling (should be set to Maintain Display scaling to disable)
Figured as much. Thanks for reporting back with the resolution.
post #8767 of 17765 Old 06-06-2016, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruesha81 View Post
Ensure you are using the more current "Premium" 4k/18Gbps HDMI cables.

Replaced cables with 4K, with the same results. Still no picture detected on the LG's UHD enabled HDMI ports
Ensure the "Deep Color Output" setting on the Blu Ray player is set to OFF.
post #8768 of 17765 Old 06-06-2016, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Either DSU or other surround mode yes ... thereafter it will be remembered.
post #8769 of 17765 Old 06-06-2016, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmar View Post
On my avr1910, the Dolby Prologic sounded better, the back surround did not interfere much with the center speaker, While the Dolby surround sometimes the sound of the Back speakers get a little noisier and thus overpowering the center speaker.

Therefore I put it in 2.1 stereo. While with the Dolby Prologic I did not have to do that.
Others have posted with the same impression as well .... ie. preferring DD PLIIx over DSU.
post #8770 of 17765 Old 06-06-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Ensure the "Deep Color Output" setting on the Blu Ray player is set to OFF.
Deep Color set to off, from Automatic, same result, no picture on the LG
post #8771 of 17765 Old 06-06-2016, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Deep Color set to off, from Automatic, same result, no picture on the LG
Is this a brand new unit or refurbished? Have you tried all of the HDMI inputs on the AVR? If yes, and still no joy, refer to post 5 of this thread and first do a "soft reset" followed by a "hard reset".
post #8772 of 17765 Old 06-06-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Is this a brand new unit or refurbished? Have you tried all of the HDMI inputs on the AVR? If yes, and still no joy, refer to post 5 of this thread and first do a "soft reset" followed by a "hard reset".
The whole setup is a replacement of my old AV solution (Denon 4308CI, Pioneer Kuro LX5090, Panasonic BD500). The X6200W is brand new. All of the HDMI inputs behave in the same manner. I have already done a soft reset. I will try soft rest followed by a hard reset. I have a second issue on the unit, in that it will ONLY send DD to zone 2 if the Main Zone is switched off.

Last edited by Ruesha81; 06-06-2016 at 08:56 AM.
post #8773 of 17765 Old 06-06-2016, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The whole setup is a replacement of my old AV solution (Denon 4308CI, Pioneer Kuro LX5090, Panasonic BD500). The X6200W is brand new. All of the HDMI inputs behave in the same manner. I have already done a soft reset. I will try soft rest followed by a hard reset. I have a second issue on the unit, in that it will ONLY send DD to zone 2 if the Main Zone is switched off.
If the hard resets don't work, I'd exchange it for another unit.
post #8774 of 17765 Old 06-06-2016, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Either DSU or other surround mode yes ... thereafter it will be remembered.
And you have to do it on each input/source that you use as well.
post #8775 of 17765 Old 06-06-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
If the hard resets don't work, I'd exchange it for another unit.
Soft then Hard Reset failed to fix the no Picture issue on the LG TV's UHD ports.
post #8776 of 17765 Old 06-06-2016, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Soft then Hard Reset failed to fix the no Picture issue on the LG TV's UHD ports.
Here's a forum member with a similar problem with his Marantz AVR. You may want to call Denon and report the issue. Possible it may be TV related.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post44540041
post #8777 of 17765 Old 06-06-2016, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 33
My X4200 has been one wonky receiver.
1st one died two weeks after being set up.
Second one delivered to my house dead on arrival.
Third unit, OSD stopped working. I prepared to do a hard reset so I went to the web interface to save the configuration file. Upon clicking save, BAM! OSD started working, no reset required.
Parsing the receiver for controller feedback stopped working. Struggled for hours with this. Finally, enabled, then disabled wifi, parsing now works and is sending data to my controller.
Currently, can't get audio/video out of HDMI 5 (media player) to the TV. The first X4200 I had worked fine.
What else can I expect with this receiver? My last Denon (2802) lasted 16 flawless years.
post #8778 of 17765 Old 06-06-2016, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post
My X4200 has been one wonky receiver.
1st one died two weeks after being set up.
Second one delivered to my house dead on arrival.
Third unit, OSD stopped working. I prepared to do a hard reset so I went to the web interface to save the configuration file. Upon clicking save, BAM! OSD started working, no reset required.
Parsing the receiver for controller feedback stopped working. Struggled for hours with this. Finally, enabled, then disabled wifi, parsing now works and is sending data to my controller.
Currently, can't get audio/video out of HDMI 5 (media player) to the TV. The first X4200 I had worked fine.
What else can I expect with this receiver? My last Denon (2802) lasted 16 flawless years.
Unusual for one new unit to fail, let alone 3 in a row.
D Bone likes this.
post #8779 of 17765 Old 06-06-2016, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Ensure you are using the more current "Premium" 4k/18Gbps HDMI cables.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/pre...n_Program.aspx

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store...hdmi-cable.htm
I'm having the same issue with this new LG TV, but with a Marantz 6010. I have tried 4 different cable manufacturers. I spoke to someone on the phone in tech support who wants to say it's "double upconversion" happening. I pointed out I was feeding from a 4k 60fps source.

He agreed to raise a trouble ticket to engineering and see what response he gets. We'll see. I did tell him about both Marantz and Denon receivers showing this problem.

What is frustrating is having to work through all the 'obvious' things (did you try soft resetting the unit) - yes, yes, yes I did to all of them. I understand why they have to ask the questions, though.

He said he will get back to me via email or phone. We'll see. I don't expect anything swift, as I am betting (I may be wrong!) that the engineers will push back and say "this must be user error!" unless they start hearing this from everywhere, and the sample size (this TV + Marantz/Denon) is too small.
post #8780 of 17765 Old 06-06-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb-ca View Post
I'm having the same issue with this new LG TV, but with a Marantz 6010. I have tried 4 different cable manufacturers. I spoke to someone on the phone in tech support who wants to say it's "double upconversion" happening. I pointed out I was feeding from a 4k 60fps source.

He agreed to raise a trouble ticket to engineering and see what response he gets. We'll see. I did tell him about both Marantz and Denon receivers showing this problem.

What is frustrating is having to work through all the 'obvious' things (did you try soft resetting the unit) - yes, yes, yes I did to all of them. I understand why they have to ask the questions, though.

He said he will get back to me via email or phone. We'll see. I don't expect anything swift, as I am betting (I may be wrong!) that the engineers will push back and say "this must be user error!" unless they start hearing this from everywhere, and the sample size (this TV + Marantz/Denon) is too small.
I raised a total of 5 tickets to Denon about various issues. The issue with the no picture on the LG OLED65G6v has been escalated to the engineers in Japan. The shop I got this from is going to give me a loan X6200W to see if it is just my amp or a larger problem with all the X6200W
post #8781 of 17765 Old 06-06-2016, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I raised a total of 5 tickets to Denon about various issues. The issue with the no picture on the LG OLED65G6v has been escalated to the engineers in Japan. The shop I got this from is going to give me a loan X6200W to see if it is just my amp or a larger problem with all the X6200W
Hi, Ruesha81! Could you please tell them that another user is seeing the exact same problem with the Marantz SR-6010 (latest firmware)? I have opened up an incident with Marantz support about it, and it would be great if they could know that other receivers are showing the same problem.
post #8782 of 17765 Old 06-06-2016, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjmc99 View Post
I don't think so, if you are listening to atmos and you choose the surround" option it will remember that, if you are listening to pcm, could be 2-7 channel, it will use the up mixer, if you are listening to a dts signal it will switch to straight dts. This is per source. At least that is my experience, also audyssey settings are per source as well, so you can set Sirius to 10 or 15 dB for dynamic eq or volume, as opposed to 0 or 5 for your blurays or TV.

My experience, too. Once you set e.g. DTS HD MSTR to DTS HD + Neural:X, it remembers that setting, and if you set TrueHD to TrueHD+DSU, it remembers that, too.

Just an update regarding my X4200W, - I got my Atmos speakers today! I'm taking it easy on the Atmos purchases since my room is really small (14x10). I got the Klipsch RP-140SA to sit on my front towers.

I must admit, I fired up Gravity, apparently a revelation in Atmos, and was... for lack of a better word... disappointed.

However, it occurred to me after doing some A->B instant comparisons - shutting off Atmos and just using the TrueHD track (easily done by just hitting the "Movie" button on the Denon remote), that it's not what you GAIN by using Atmos over TrueHD etc, - it's what you LOSE by NOT using Atmos.

Honestly? Just... wow. For example, (no spoilers), in Gravity, at 10:15, Ed Harris is speaking, and with the regular TrueHD track his voice just sounds like it's coming from all speakers. It's not nuanced at all, and it's almost odd sounding, to be honest, after hearing the Atmos track, where Ed Harris's voice comes from... well... somewhere in the sky to the top right of the image, almost ethereal sounding. The music bounces around all the speakers in the subsequent scene, and it's really, REALLY involving.

Another example of odd TrueHD audio "fixed" by Atmos? John Wick. Again, no spoilers, but John Wick pulls a gun to shoot a few times at 50:46. When he shoots, there's far too much rear surround channel action, - bizarrely so. With the Atmos track, it echoes around the front heights, and sounds infinitely better, and the rear surrounds don't sound overpoweringly loud because of the more natural sound progression involving the heights. Club music has height and depth to it, and overall greatly improves the experience. Great stuff.

One of my favorite demos, though, is a REALLY simple one. Again, no spoilers, but right at the very start of Unbroken, some planes fly overhead right after the credits. It's the first thing you see in the movie. With TrueHD, it's SO flat sounding. There's no height to the experience. With Atmos? Wow. Just... wow. The crackle of planes hits above you, and then the roar completely bowls you over from all directions. Sensational.

Overall, very impressed, and the X4200W is working flawlessly so far. No complaints!
Mrjmc99 and williamwallace like this.
post #8783 of 17765 Old 06-06-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb-ca View Post
Hi, Ruesha81! Could you please tell them that another user is seeing the exact same problem with the Marantz SR-6010 (latest firmware)? I have opened up an incident with Marantz support about it, and it would be great if they could know that other receivers are showing the same problem.
I will add that detail to the case with Denon
post #8784 of 17765 Old 06-06-2016, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
I just got the X4200W and noticed that one the feet does not have the rubber O-ring installed. The unit looks fine otherwise, how would I go about getting this part? I hope it doesn't require some drastic measure like having to contact the repair center or something like that... I browsed the Denon website, but it wasn't very useful.

Attachment 1446754
Just an update, I contacted Denon and they sent me a new foot without questions. Great service so far.

D Bone and galonzo like this.

OLED65C9PUA, NVIDIA SHIELD TV Pro, BDI 8179
post #8785 of 17765 Old 06-06-2016, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Others have posted with the same impression as well .... ie. preferring DD PLIIx over DSU.
Being so, have any body pressured Denon to re-install Pro Logic ll as an additional to Dolby Surround. tia

PRESENTLY:    TCP55VT60               PS3 SLIMIR 2 BT RE-BL DENON X2200W [B] FIBETV
MOTOROLA PVR VIP-2262
PARADIGM MONITOR 7 v6 front speakersKLIPSCH SUBWOOFER
KSW10
kLIPSCH SATELITE SS-1kLIPSCH CENTER SC-1HARMONY ONE
PARADIGM ATOMS V6 (front height) NOW SYSTEM IS 5.1.2
post #8786 of 17765 Old 06-06-2016, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
My experience, too. Once you set e.g. DTS HD MSTR to DTS HD + Neural:X, it remembers that setting, and if you set TrueHD to TrueHD+DSU, it remembers that, too.

Just an update regarding my X4200W, - I got my Atmos speakers today! I'm taking it easy on the Atmos purchases since my room is really small (14x10). I got the Klipsch RP-140SA to sit on my front towers.

I must admit, I fired up Gravity, apparently a revelation in Atmos, and was... for lack of a better word... disappointed.

However, it occurred to me after doing some A->B instant comparisons - shutting off Atmos and just using the TrueHD track (easily done by just hitting the "Movie" button on the Denon remote), that it's not what you GAIN by using Atmos over TrueHD etc, - it's what you LOSE by NOT using Atmos.

Honestly? Just... wow. For example, (no spoilers), in Gravity, at 10:15, Ed Harris is speaking, and with the regular TrueHD track his voice just sounds like it's coming from all speakers. It's not nuanced at all, and it's almost odd sounding, to be honest, after hearing the Atmos track, where Ed Harris's voice comes from... well... somewhere in the sky to the top right of the image, almost ethereal sounding. The music bounces around all the speakers in the subsequent scene, and it's really, REALLY involving.

Another example of odd TrueHD audio "fixed" by Atmos? John Wick. Again, no spoilers, but John Wick pulls a gun to shoot a few times at 50:46. When he shoots, there's far too much rear surround channel action, - bizarrely so. With the Atmos track, it echoes around the front heights, and sounds infinitely better, and the rear surrounds don't sound overpoweringly loud because of the more natural sound progression involving the heights. Club music has height and depth to it, and overall greatly improves the experience. Great stuff.

One of my favorite demos, though, is a REALLY simple one. Again, no spoilers, but right at the very start of Unbroken, some planes fly overhead right after the credits. It's the first thing you see in the movie. With TrueHD, it's SO flat sounding. There's no height to the experience. With Atmos? Wow. Just... wow. The crackle of planes hits above you, and then the roar completely bowls you over from all directions. Sensational.

Overall, very impressed, and the X4200W is working flawlessly so far. No complaints!
How did you setup your room with atmos? Pics?
I have high walls with cathedral ceilings and I cannot install in-wall speakers. So Im gathering ideas on what people have found to work very well.

I drive a Dodge Stratus.

post #8787 of 17765 Old 06-06-2016, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod9707 View Post
How did you setup your room with atmos? Pics?
I have high walls with cathedral ceilings and I cannot install in-wall speakers. So Im gathering ideas on what people have found to work very well.
My room is 8 foot high, and the speakers are ceiling-bouncing - sitting on my front towers, so 4 feet from tower speaker top to ceiling.

If you have cathedral ceilings that makes it a problem, and not being able to install in wall speakers makes it a double problem.
post #8788 of 17765 Old 06-06-2016, 04:53 PM

Whats the consensus on the best bang for buck amplifier to pair with the x4200? My media room is for gaming and movies so I will use the amplifier for rears as any music listening is done throughout the house via Sonos.

I'm sorry to bust in and ask like this versus page through this thread but I'm trying to make purchases soon as I think Im going to buy 3 pairs of pro monitor 800's and then I need an amplifier to match the 4200.

Appreciate the help y'all!

I drive a Dodge Stratus.

post #8789 of 17765 Old 06-06-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
My room is 8 foot high, and the speakers are ceiling-bouncing - sitting on my front towers, so 4 feet from tower speaker top to ceiling.

If you have cathedral ceilings that makes it a problem, and not being able to install in wall speakers makes it a double problem.
Thanks William! Heres a few pics to show you what I'm up against...
Also I plan on mounting the projector from the ceiling and also putting the components outside of the room to free up space. Everything's in demo mode until I know where Im going to mount speakers, etc.

I may post these pics in the Atmos thread to see if anyone else can give me recommendations on where to install speakers.
Reason for no in wall is due to no access to roof in attic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3630.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1482761   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3631.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1482769   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3632.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1482777  

I drive a Dodge Stratus.

post #8790 of 17765 Old 06-06-2016, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod9707 View Post
Thanks William! Heres a few pics to show you what I'm up against...
Also I plan on mounting the projector from the ceiling and also putting the components outside of the room to free up space. Everything's in demo mode until I know where Im going to mount speakers, etc.

I may post these pics in the Atmos thread to see if anyone else can give me recommendations on where to install speakers.
Reason for no in wall is due to no access to roof in attic.
You could try some aimable on Wall/ceiling speakers and try to hide the wires with molding or something. Audyssey should be able to account for the room to some degree.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
4:4:4 , alexa , arc , audyseey , Audyssey , avr , AVR-2310CI , avr-s710w , AVR-X2200W , bluetooth , chroma , connect , Denon , denon 2200w , denon x1200w , lfe , s710w , s910w , spotify , x-1200w , x1200w , x2200w , x3200w , x4200 , x4200w , x6200w , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page