The "OFFICIAL" 2015 Denon "S-series" / "X-series" AVR Owner's thread + FAQ (HDCP 2.2) - Page 467 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 101740Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #13981 of 17682 Old 05-28-2017, 08:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Zcars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 94
"New" X2200W

I didn't expect to be on the Denon forums, but I just ordered a B stock X2200W from Gibby's (like A4L in Canada), and I hope it was the right choice. I am upgrading from the Yamaha RX-V379, because I recently upgraded my speakers from the Pioneer AJ bookshelves and centre to the KEF Q100s and Q200c and thought I could do better. My room is a little odd, with the TV diagonal to a corner seating sectional and openings to kitchen and hallway, and I was never really satisfied with how YPAO configured the speakers, so I am hoping the better Audyssey will make a difference. I was set on getting the Marantz NR 1607, but after doing a load of research on these forums I figured I could get the same quality and functionality with a Denon for less money. As far as I could surmise, this unit is comparable to the Marantz sr5010 with the same basic components but a bit cheaper.
I opted for the 2015 model because it still had the analogue to hdmi conversion which I may use. Some of the other features are of no interest to me, I just wanted something with better sound quality and video features over the entry level Yamaha. This is just HT with some music so video was more of a focus, as I have my 2.1 system for music listening.
I am hoping jumping from the V379 to the X2200W is sufficient to make a big enough difference in sound and video quality without adding too many features I don't need. Reviews of the 2200W have been good, so hopefully I don't get a lemon.
Any warnings or red flags? I can still cancel the order or change it before it ships.
Zcars is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13982 of 17682 Old 05-28-2017, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,313
Mentioned: 747 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22753 Post(s)
Liked: 12402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post
I have the X6200W. How can I watch a movie using my Bluetooth headset via the receiver? Is that even possible? I'd figure there would be some kind of way. I sure hope so. I also have Spotify but can't figure out how to get that to work from my receiver either.
Purchase and connect a 3rd party Bluetooth transmitter.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #13983 of 17682 Old 05-28-2017, 03:25 PM
Member
 
adumadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Audyssey DSX stopped working as before after April 2017 Firmware update

My setup uses wide/Audyssey DSX as opposed to height. It's setup as 9.1ch with 5ch & SB & FW channels configuration. I bought X4200 primarily for this DSX functionality and it was working flawlessly until recent FW upgrade. My firmware was up-to-date with 11/2016 Firmware version which worked flawlessly with DSX modes expansion of surround formats until recently.

Denon X4200 recently prompted for Firmware update late April 17/early May and after firmware update to version 0992-7370-8242-04, Audyssey DSX option no longer appears when I click movies/music sound modes button unlike before for different sound formats such as DTS, Dolby Digital etc. It looks like DSX functionality has been broken and now working only for Dolby Atmos/True HD unlike before when it worked across multiple surround formats to add wide stage expansion using DSX using Front Wide channels which stopped working after this firmware update. Please help me restore to previous 11/2016 firmware so that I can get back the functionality as intended.

So, I would like to revert to last firmware released on 11/2016 which worked great in DSX mode as opposed to this latest Apr 2017 FW which broke this functionality. Thanks for your help.
adumadu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13984 of 17682 Old 05-28-2017, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,629
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by adumadu View Post
My setup uses wide/Audyssey DSX as opposed to height. It's setup as 9.1ch with 5ch & SB & FW channels configuration. I bought X4200 primarily for this DSX functionality and it was working flawlessly until recent FW upgrade. My firmware was up-to-date with 11/2016 Firmware version which worked flawlessly with DSX modes expansion of surround formats until recently.

Denon X4200 recently prompted for Firmware update late April 17/early May and after firmware update to version 0992-7370-8242-04, Audyssey DSX option no longer appears when I click movies/music sound modes button unlike before for different sound formats such as DTS, Dolby Digital etc. It looks like DSX functionality has been broken and now working only for Dolby Atmos/True HD unlike before when it worked across multiple surround formats to add wide stage expansion using DSX using Front Wide channels which stopped working after this firmware update. Please help me restore to previous 11/2016 firmware so that I can get back the functionality as intended.

So, I would like to revert to last firmware released on 11/2016 which worked great in DSX mode as opposed to this latest Apr 2017 FW which broke this functionality. Thanks for your help.
Are you saying DSX is no longer available?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Samsung PN F8500 60'' TV, Denon AVR X4200W, Onkyo TX SR805, Parasound HCA 1500A, SVS Prime Towers and Center, SVS Prime satellites, Proficient Surrounds, Duo Kreisel DXD subs, PSA S3000i sub, Oppo 103D player, Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTR 3600
asere is offline  
post #13985 of 17682 Old 05-29-2017, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,313
Mentioned: 747 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22753 Post(s)
Liked: 12402
Quote:
Originally Posted by adumadu View Post
My setup uses wide/Audyssey DSX as opposed to height. It's setup as 9.1ch with 5ch & SB & FW channels configuration. I bought X4200 primarily for this DSX functionality and it was working flawlessly until recent FW upgrade. My firmware was up-to-date with 11/2016 Firmware version which worked flawlessly with DSX modes expansion of surround formats until recently.

Denon X4200 recently prompted for Firmware update late April 17/early May and after firmware update to version 0992-7370-8242-04, Audyssey DSX option no longer appears when I click movies/music sound modes button unlike before for different sound formats such as DTS, Dolby Digital etc. It looks like DSX functionality has been broken and now working only for Dolby Atmos/True HD unlike before when it worked across multiple surround formats to add wide stage expansion using DSX using Front Wide channels which stopped working after this firmware update. Please help me restore to previous 11/2016 firmware so that I can get back the functionality as intended.

So, I would like to revert to last firmware released on 11/2016 which worked great in DSX mode as opposed to this latest Apr 2017 FW which broke this functionality. Thanks for your help.
Are Front Wide speakers configured in Manual Setup? Have you set Audyssey DSX = ON?

Otherwise, the only way to revert back to a previous firmware is if you can find someone that downloaded it and kept a separate copy.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #13986 of 17682 Old 05-29-2017, 08:31 AM
 
jsmiddleton4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 4,945
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 373
I have Audyssey DSX and my FW is updated.
jsmiddleton4 is offline  
post #13987 of 17682 Old 05-30-2017, 05:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Landenberg, PA
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 16
3D Epson 5030UB Drop Out Problem

Folks - I appreciate all the information posted here. I have an Denon X4200W receiver. Last Friday, I replaced the HDMI cable (now certified) of Monitor 1 (4K- ARC) to my new sony 940E TV due to poor transmission. Everything now is fine for the TV, but my epson (connected to the monitor 2- 3D) suddenly is starting and stopping about 20 minutes into a 3D movie...and, then about every 10 minutes. This is true for all 3 of my blu ray players (oppo 203, samsung 8500 and Xbox One s)...connected to various HDMI inputs on the denon.

The problem, therefore, appears to be with my denon or epson? What's strange is that this happened after I replaced the cable for the TV. I'm wondering about the splitter (monitor 1/2) in the denon? Any thoughts will be appreciated. Has this been reported? Didn't see anything after a search.

Jim
jreash is offline  
post #13988 of 17682 Old 05-30-2017, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,625
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1735 Post(s)
Liked: 4979
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreash View Post
Folks - I appreciate all the information posted here. I have an Denon X4200W receiver. Last Friday, I replaced the HDMI cable (now certified) of Monitor 1 (4K- ARC) to my new sony 940E TV due to poor transmission. Everything now is fine for the TV, but my epson (connected to the monitor 2- 3D) suddenly is starting and stopping about 20 minutes into a 3D movie...and, then about every 10 minutes. This is true for all 3 of my blu ray players (oppo 203, samsung 8500 and Xbox One s)...connected to various HDMI inputs on the denon.

The problem, therefore, appears to be with my denon or epson? What's strange is that this happened after I replaced the cable for the TV. I'm wondering about the splitter (monitor 1/2) in the denon? Any thoughts will be appreciated. Has this been reported? Didn't see anything after a search.

Jim
I had a similar issue with my x6200w. Like you I got a new Sony x900e and when I used my projector(benq ht2050) I would get random signal drops.
I went berserk and changed all my cables to Blue Jeans Cables but still had the problem.
I was thinking it had something to do with running the hdmi outputs in dual in the Denon.
I changed the output to monitor 1 for tv and monitor 2 for the pj. Whenever I want to use the pj I just switch to monitor 2 and vice versa for tv. Not a single dropout since!
subacabra is offline  
post #13989 of 17682 Old 05-31-2017, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,313
Mentioned: 747 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22753 Post(s)
Liked: 12402
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreash View Post
Folks - I appreciate all the information posted here. I have an Denon X4200W receiver. Last Friday, I replaced the HDMI cable (now certified) of Monitor 1 (4K- ARC) to my new sony 940E TV due to poor transmission. Everything now is fine for the TV, but my epson (connected to the monitor 2- 3D) suddenly is starting and stopping about 20 minutes into a 3D movie...and, then about every 10 minutes. This is true for all 3 of my blu ray players (oppo 203, samsung 8500 and Xbox One s)...connected to various HDMI inputs on the denon.

The problem, therefore, appears to be with my denon or epson? What's strange is that this happened after I replaced the cable for the TV. I'm wondering about the splitter (monitor 1/2) in the denon? Any thoughts will be appreciated. Has this been reported? Didn't see anything after a search.

Jim
As is the case with most HDMI splitters, only the video that is common to both can be passed (ie. 1080p and non-3D), and since your Sony TV is not 3D capable, then the AVR would have issues passing 3D video when the HDMI Video Output is set to the factory default of "Auto(Dual)" so as suggested in the post above, for each individual source, you will want to set this setting to either Monitor 1 (TV) or Monitor 2 (PJ) depending on which display you want to use.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #13990 of 17682 Old 05-31-2017, 05:51 PM
Member
 
MizzouTiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: O'Fallon, MO
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have search the thread and haven't found anything regarding this. I have a Denon S910W and every so often my rear left speaker just "drops out" - nothing comes out of it. I have found that if I disconnect that speaker from the rear of the Denon, and the reconnect it, it comes back. Everything will be fine for a few weeks, and then it will do it again. Anyone have any ideas regarding this or other trouble shooting ideas?
MizzouTiger is offline  
post #13991 of 17682 Old 05-31-2017, 05:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Landenberg, PA
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
I had a similar issue with my x6200w. Like you I got a new Sony x900e and when I used my projector(benq ht2050) I would get random signal drops.
I went berserk and changed all my cables to Blue Jeans Cables but still had the problem.
I was thinking it had something to do with running the hdmi outputs in dual in the Denon.
I changed the output to monitor 1 for tv and monitor 2 for the pj. Whenever I want to use the pj I just switch to monitor 2 and vice versa for tv. Not a single dropout since!
Hey - I appreciate the reply. Makes sense. This being on the bleeding edge of 4k can have it's challenges.

Jim
subacabra likes this.
jreash is offline  
post #13992 of 17682 Old 05-31-2017, 06:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Landenberg, PA
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
As is the case with most HDMI splitters, only the video that is common to both can be passed (ie. 1080p and non-3D), and since your Sony TV is not 3D capable, then the AVR would have issues passing 3D video when the HDMI Video Output is set to the factory default of "Auto(Dual)" so as suggested in the post above, for each individual source, you will want to set this setting to either Monitor 1 (TV) or Monitor 2 (PJ) depending on which display you want to use.
Thanks JD - Will give this a try tomorrow.
Jim
jreash is offline  
post #13993 of 17682 Old 06-01-2017, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,313
Mentioned: 747 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22753 Post(s)
Liked: 12402
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouTiger View Post
I have search the thread and haven't found anything regarding this. I have a Denon S910W and every so often my rear left speaker just "drops out" - nothing comes out of it. I have found that if I disconnect that speaker from the rear of the Denon, and the reconnect it, it comes back. Everything will be fine for a few weeks, and then it will do it again. Anyone have any ideas regarding this or other trouble shooting ideas?
Could be a loose speaker wire connection or perhaps amp failure. Try swapping the Rear Left and Rear Right speaker wire connections to see if the issue now presents in the Rear Right speaker (ie. amp issue) or follows the speaker and still presents in the Rear Left speaker (ie. speaker issue).
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #13994 of 17682 Old 06-01-2017, 08:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Zcars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 94
noise from x2200w

I may have a problem with my new B Stock x2200w. I did a hard reset and quick set up when I got it the other day and did not notice anything wrong, but did not set up audyssey as I was pressed for time. Yesterday when I turned it on I saw the firmware update notice so I hit OK. Suddenly I was hearing what can best be described as a low, regular "purring" noise from all speakers regardless of input. The noise continued after the update was done and the unit powered back on. I turned it on later and it was less noticeable but still there (maybe was there on initial setup but I didn't notice). I have removed all components and plugged into a different receptacle but same thing. I will try another factory reset tonight, but any ideas what this could be?
Zcars is offline  
post #13995 of 17682 Old 06-01-2017, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,313
Mentioned: 747 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22753 Post(s)
Liked: 12402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zcars View Post
I may have a problem with my new B Stock x2200w. I did a hard reset and quick set up when I got it the other day and did not notice anything wrong, but did not set up audyssey as I was pressed for time. Yesterday when I turned it on I saw the firmware update notice so I hit OK. Suddenly I was hearing what can best be described as a low, regular "purring" noise from all speakers regardless of input. The noise continued after the update was done and the unit powered back on. I turned it on later and it was less noticeable but still there (maybe was there on initial setup but I didn't notice). I have removed all components and plugged into a different receptacle but same thing. I will try another factory reset tonight, but any ideas what this could be?
A bad b stock.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #13996 of 17682 Old 06-01-2017, 11:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Zcars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I was afraid of that. I have a 14 day return window, so maybe I will go with a Marantz 1606 or 1607. Thanks.
Zcars is offline  
post #13997 of 17682 Old 06-01-2017, 06:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Zcars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I did some more troubleshooting when I got home today and isolated the issue to all the electrical outlets on that side of the room. When I plugged in the receiver with a speaker attached to an outlet on another wall and one in the basement there was no buzz. Unfortunately I cannot relocate the equipment but at least it is almost unnoticeable now. Odd that I never had this with the Yamaha in the exact same setup. Anyway, I am keeping the receiver and enjoying the improved sound with Audyssey.
Zcars is offline  
post #13998 of 17682 Old 06-03-2017, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,629
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Is there a difference with the x4200 volume scale? Set at 0-98 it displays 63. Set to -79.5 - 18.5 it displays -17.
The -17 is closer to reference than 63 yet they sound the same as far as volume level.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Samsung PN F8500 60'' TV, Denon AVR X4200W, Onkyo TX SR805, Parasound HCA 1500A, SVS Prime Towers and Center, SVS Prime satellites, Proficient Surrounds, Duo Kreisel DXD subs, PSA S3000i sub, Oppo 103D player, Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTR 3600
asere is offline  
post #13999 of 17682 Old 06-03-2017, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kokishin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,189
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
Is there a difference with the x4200 volume scale? Set at 0-98 it displays 63. Set to -79.5 - 18.5 it displays -17.
The -17 is closer to reference than 63 yet they sound the same as far as volume level.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
0-98: linear scale.
-79.5 - 18.5: logarithmic scale.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon FTV Stick 4K, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
kokishin is offline  
post #14000 of 17682 Old 06-03-2017, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,629
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
0-98: linear scale.
-79.5 - 18.5: logarithmic scale.
Which one is used more? I take it the linear?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Samsung PN F8500 60'' TV, Denon AVR X4200W, Onkyo TX SR805, Parasound HCA 1500A, SVS Prime Towers and Center, SVS Prime satellites, Proficient Surrounds, Duo Kreisel DXD subs, PSA S3000i sub, Oppo 103D player, Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTR 3600
asere is offline  
post #14001 of 17682 Old 06-03-2017, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kokishin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,189
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
Which one is used more? I take it the linear?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
I use logarithmic. I can only speculate many avs members use logarithmic. Some folks prefer linear because it gives them the illusion of more head room when increasing the volume.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon FTV Stick 4K, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
kokishin is offline  
post #14002 of 17682 Old 06-03-2017, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,629
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
I use logarithmic. I can only speculate many avs members use logarithmic. Some folks prefer linear because it gives them the illusion of more head room when increasing the volume.
Basically linear -10 is 10 away from reference. And 90 with logarithmic is 10 away from reference?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Samsung PN F8500 60'' TV, Denon AVR X4200W, Onkyo TX SR805, Parasound HCA 1500A, SVS Prime Towers and Center, SVS Prime satellites, Proficient Surrounds, Duo Kreisel DXD subs, PSA S3000i sub, Oppo 103D player, Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTR 3600
asere is offline  
post #14003 of 17682 Old 06-03-2017, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,313
Mentioned: 747 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22753 Post(s)
Liked: 12402
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
Is there a difference with the x4200 volume scale? Set at 0-98 it displays 63. Set to -79.5 - 18.5 it displays -17.
The -17 is closer to reference than 63 yet they sound the same as far as volume level.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
On the "absolute" scale 80 is reference, whereas on the "reference" scale 0db is reference so just as 63 is 17 from reference so to is -17db 17 from 0db using the "reference" scale.


Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
Which one is used more? I take it the linear?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
By families ... the "absolute" as it's easier to comprehend as the number goes higher/lower ... the volume gets louder/softer but by enthusiasts ... the "reference" scale as it's easier to understand that -20db means 20db below reference.
lance466 likes this.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 06-05-2017 at 01:09 AM.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #14004 of 17682 Old 06-03-2017, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,629
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
On the linear scale 80 is reference, so just as 63 is 17 from reference so to is -17db 17 from 0db reference as well.




By families ... the linear but by enthusiasts ... the logarithmic.
Gotcha makes sense now. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Samsung PN F8500 60'' TV, Denon AVR X4200W, Onkyo TX SR805, Parasound HCA 1500A, SVS Prime Towers and Center, SVS Prime satellites, Proficient Surrounds, Duo Kreisel DXD subs, PSA S3000i sub, Oppo 103D player, Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTR 3600
asere is offline  
post #14005 of 17682 Old 06-04-2017, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dan in St. Louis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO, USA
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
0-98: linear scale.
-79.5 - 18.5: logarithmic scale.
In fact both scales are logarithmic. One is a scalar measurement with no units, the other uses units of dB referenced to a particular listening level. An increase of 3 digits in either results in doubling the used amplifier power.

The fact that both are logarithmic can be shown by noticing that the dB reading is always 80 digits less than the scalar reading: dB = scalar - 80.

M = Mega, m = milli. K = Kelvin, k = kilo. B = Bytes, b = bits. G = Giga, g = gravity. Dan in Saint Louis
Dan in St. Louis is offline  
post #14006 of 17682 Old 06-04-2017, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Moderator
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 25,132
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked: 2261
I think I've hit a road block issue. I rearranged all my cables behind the rack today. It seems my blu ray hdmi input (#3) is stuck in an analog position. Meaning it doesn't recognize the hdmi signal...so iam getting no audio out of that input.

I read through the manual and page 270 says I can assign an hdmi signal vs auto to that input. When I do change from auto to hdmi it switches from ANA on the front display to blank. ....not recognizing an hdmi signal. I have verified cables and sources to rule out those issues (meaning verified the cable and source played correctly in a different input, then tried those same cable and source in the blu ray input).


Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
Ron
rboster is online now  
post #14007 of 17682 Old 06-04-2017, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,313
Mentioned: 747 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22753 Post(s)
Liked: 12402
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
I think I've hit a road block issue. I rearranged all my cables behind the rack today. It seems my blu ray hdmi input (#3) is stuck in an analog position. Meaning it doesn't recognize the hdmi signal...so iam getting no audio out of that input.

I read through the manual and page 270 says I can assign an hdmi signal vs auto to that input. When I do change from auto to hdmi it switches from ANA on the front display to blank. ....not recognizing an hdmi signal. I have verified cables and sources to rule out those issues (meaning verified the cable and source played correctly in a different input, then tried those same cable and source in the blu ray input).


Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks
Ron
It would seem the HDMI input has gone kaput on you. Try doing a soft reset first followed by a hard reset if no joy (both described in post 5 of this thread).
rboster likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #14008 of 17682 Old 06-04-2017, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Moderator
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 25,132
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked: 2261
Soft reset did not do anything. I did a hard reset and will start again tomorrow.

Thanks JD for the input


Ron
rboster is online now  
post #14009 of 17682 Old 06-05-2017, 12:52 AM
Senior Member
 
mpyw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 32
There's a firmware update for the X6200 available at Denon website (24th May 2017)
I wonder if anyone have the change log
What does it do?
I almost brick my unit during last update and would like to be very careful and won't update if the update is not want I wanted

To be or NOT to be......YOU are WHO you ARE
mpyw is offline  
post #14010 of 17682 Old 06-05-2017, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,313
Mentioned: 747 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22753 Post(s)
Liked: 12402
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyw View Post
There's a firmware update for the X6200 available at Denon website (24th May 2017)
I wonder if anyone have the change log
What does it do?
I almost brick my unit during last update and would like to be very careful and won't update if the update is not want I wanted
There is a lot of very helpful information available to you in the first 8 posts of this thread to include the firmware change log for each model in post 6.
jdsmoothie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
4:4:4 , alexa , arc , audyseey , Audyssey , avr , AVR-2310CI , avr-s710w , AVR-X2200W , bluetooth , chroma , connect , Denon , denon 2200w , denon x1200w , lfe , s710w , s910w , spotify , x-1200w , x1200w , x2200w , x3200w , x4200 , x4200w , x6200w , Yamaha

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off