The "OFFICIAL" 2015 Denon "S-series" / "X-series" AVR Owner's thread + FAQ (HDCP 2.2) - Page 583 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 101681Likes

post #17461 of 17508 Old 06-16-2019, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
HDR was possible from the factory while Dolby Vision and HLG were added via a firmware update. Ensure you are using "Premium" certified 4k HDMI cables.

https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/pr...e/faq.aspx#157
Nevermind. Just figured out the problem. I'm using a Denon 602 video processor in between the DTV client and the 2200. The 602, although a great device for cleaning up the DTV signal, is not HDR enabled.

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17462 of 17508 Old 06-16-2019, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 701 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22005 Post(s)
Liked: 11929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameshtx View Post
Hi. I'm trying to connect the Sonos Connect into the Denon AVR-X3200 for Zone 2. The Sonos came with RCA plugs. I tried to plug the RCA from the Sonos's analog audio out to Denon's zone 2 pre-out but that didn't work. Any suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis View Post
Output to output doesn't sound like a very good idea.
As Dan implies, if you're trying to stream the Zone 2 audio to Sonos speakers around the house, you'll need to connect the AVR Zone 2 pre-outs to the Sonos analog "inputs."
post #17463 of 17508 Old 06-16-2019, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
As Dan implies, if you're trying to stream the Zone 2 audio to Sonos speakers around the house, you'll need to connect the AVR Zone 2 pre-outs to the Sonos analog "inputs."

Thanks guys. Got it to work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7.2.4 l Epson 5040ub Projector l Oppo 203 Blu Ray player l Denon AVR-X4300h l Def Tec BP9080 LR/Front Atmos l Def Tec CS9080 C l Def Tec SR9080 SL/SR/SBL/SBR l Monoprice 6.5 Rear Atmos l SVS PB-2000 dual setup l Panamax M5400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17464 of 17508 Old 06-18-2019, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Where can I get the firmware for the AVR-X4200W now that the Denon web page no longer lists it as a model? I need it via USB.
https://usa.denon.com/us/downloads/productupdates
post #17465 of 17508 Old 06-18-2019, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
Where can I get the firmware for the AVR-X4200W now that the Denon web page no longer lists it as a model? I need it via USB.
https://usa.denon.com/us/downloads/productupdates
Contact Denon.
post #17466 of 17508 Old 06-19-2019, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
6200W Advice?

Good Morning.

I currently own the X6200W but it is in the shop for repair. The dealer gave me a loaner Integra DTR-30.5. After running the audyssey setup on the Integra I am a bit blown away with the results. It feels like an upgrade even though it should not be. I am finally able to feel the impact from the lows, both during movies and music. It sounds so much more like being at a top theater. The dialog from deep voices is impactful...etc.

So I guess, my question is, what can you guys think I am doing wrong with my Denon?

For both setups, I ran audyssey in the same positions and the max number of listening positions. I changed the cross-overs to 80Hz on both units. Subs are level matched prior to calibration and I didn't touch the gain between the two different set-ups.

My speaker set-up is:
L/R - B&W 685
Center - B&W HTM62
Surrounds - B&W DS2
Subs - Dual SVS-PB-1000

Appreciate any help?
post #17467 of 17508 Old 06-19-2019, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcraig View Post
Good Morning.

I currently own the X6200W but it is in the shop for repair. The dealer gave me a loaner Integra DTR-30.5. After running the audyssey setup on the Integra I am a bit blown away with the results. It feels like an upgrade even though it should not be. I am finally able to feel the impact from the lows, both during movies and music. It sounds so much more like being at a top theater. The dialog from deep voices is impactful...etc.

So I guess, my question is, what can you guys think I am doing wrong with my Denon?

For both setups, I ran audyssey in the same positions and the max number of listening positions. I changed the cross-overs to 80Hz on both units. Subs are level matched prior to calibration and I didn't touch the gain between the two different set-ups.

My speaker set-up is:
L/R - B&W 685
Center - B&W HTM62
Surrounds - B&W DS2
Subs - Dual SVS-PB-1000

Appreciate any help?
The Audyssey in the Integra is the MultEQ whereas your 6200 has XT32. The XT32 has much more emphasis on the lower frequencies. This addendum to the Audyssey FAQ explains it:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...ml#addendumtop

I had the same experience when I went from my 3808ci to my 4200.

LG OLED55B6P (Calibrated by AVICAL)
Denon AVR-X4200W ** oppo UDP-203 **oppo BDP-103D
HR44 DirecTV ** Panamax 5300 ** Harmony One Universal Remote
Hsu HB-1 MK2 (L, R & S) ** Hsu HC-1 MK2 (C) ** Hsu VTF-15H (sub)
Crowson Technology Level 2 Motion System
MediaLight 6500K Bias Lighting System ** AIRCOM T8 Receiver Cooling Blower
post #17468 of 17508 Old 06-20-2019, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
The Audyssey in the Integra is the MultEQ whereas your 6200 has XT32. The XT32 has much more emphasis on the lower frequencies. This addendum to the Audyssey FAQ explains it:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...ml#addendumtop

I had the same experience when I went from my 3808ci to my 4200.
Were you able to make corrections? If so, what did you do?
post #17469 of 17508 Old 06-22-2019, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Denon distorts without sub

Hi everyone

I'm having a lot lot of issues ever since I've retired my subwoofer. Basically the issue is that my Denon AVR-X4200W redirects the subwoofer channel on surround signals to the front speakers causing them to distort quite badly when the bass track becomes too heavy. Turning on Dynamic EQ amplifies the problem to the extreme, so I can definitely not run the amp with that turned on.

The only thing that really fixes it -- that I've been able to figure out -- is turning subwoofer to "Yes" in the speaker settings to make the amp think there's a subwoofer connected, making it NOT mix the subwoofer track into the front speaker tracks. This, of course, means that I'm unable to hear the subwoofer track but perhaps that could be considered what I want. It, however, also has the undesired effect that Audyssey is turned off because the speaker settings are no longer the same as when measured using the Audyssey mic. So basically I now have no way of listening to surround tracks with Audyssey because I don't have a subwoofer... which is totally ridiculous!

My front speakers are the Dali Rubicon LCR (can't post a link because my post count is not high enough).

Can anyone help me?
post #17470 of 17508 Old 06-22-2019, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Those speakers are not designed to play lower frequency signals. Either lower the master volume, enable Dynamic Volume, or add the subwoofer back into the setup.
bigguyca likes this.
post #17471 of 17508 Old 06-22-2019, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinlk View Post
Hi everyone

I'm having a lot lot of issues ever since I've retired my subwoofer. Basically the issue is that my Denon AVR-X4200W redirects the subwoofer channel on surround signals to the front speakers causing them to distort quite badly when the bass track becomes too heavy. Turning on Dynamic EQ amplifies the problem to the extreme, so I can definitely not run the amp with that turned on.

The only thing that really fixes it -- that I've been able to figure out -- is turning subwoofer to "Yes" in the speaker settings to make the amp think there's a subwoofer connected, making it NOT mix the subwoofer track into the front speaker tracks. This, of course, means that I'm unable to hear the subwoofer track but perhaps that could be considered what I want. It, however, also has the undesired effect that Audyssey is turned off because the speaker settings are no longer the same as when measured using the Audyssey mic. So basically I now have no way of listening to surround tracks with Audyssey because I don't have a subwoofer... which is totally ridiculous!

My front speakers are the Dali Rubicon LCR (can't post a link because my post count is not high enough).

Can anyone help me?

You really should use a subwoofer. Your L and R speakers (if the link below refers to your speakers) have one 6 1/2 inch bass/mid-range driver that has a rated -3dB point of 59 Hz in the bass crossing over at 3,100 Hz in the treble.

https://www.dali-speakers.com/loudsp...n/rubicon-lcr/

Such a small driver will not handle low bass, will distort at higher levels in the bass, and will muddy the mid-range when bass is present. Covering such a wide range of frequencies, and likely driving the bass/midrange driver so hard will cause the full range of distortions: harmonic, intermodulation, multi-tone IM, and even Doppler distortion due to the wide range of frequencies covered.

In addition your AVR (this is true of most AVR's) digitally reduces the level of the L&R signal by 12 dB when a subwoofer is not present. This reduction allows mixing in the unknown levels of bass (unknown to the AVR) from other channels digitally without the overall signal exceeding 0 dBFS and causing digital overs, which can be nasty. The volume control adds most of this attenuation back in the analog domain. The process above will reduce the effective S/N ratio of the DAC by 12 dB and may have other unpredictable results. Multi-channel systems are really intended to be operated with a subwoofer(s).
Purple X and galonzo like this.

Last edited by bigguyca; 06-22-2019 at 11:45 AM.
post #17472 of 17508 Old 06-22-2019, 12:28 PM

I realize that I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to how speakers or amplifiers actually work... I just find it surprising that the setup I would prefer to run is not really possible in practice. But I hear what you're saying and have lugged my sub back upstairs from the basement and will try experimenting with it.

Do you happen to have any advice on how to prevent a subwoofer from muddying up the sound stage? I don't know how to describe it, but I've always felt that my sub is too boomy and doesn't sound as crisp as an integrated unit (a regular speaker with both tweeter and woofer) does. Plus it look ugly.

Sad face :-(
post #17473 of 17508 Old 06-22-2019, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2591 Post(s)
Liked: 2336
The problem is with expectations. Expecting the L&R speakers to produce a lot of bass in frequencies they were not designed to produce. Then, adding to the problem by turning on "Dynamic EQ", which pumps up the bass even further. No wonder you are getting distortion.

So, as other folks here have mentioned, you need to either re-introduce the subwoofer (what sub is it make/model, BTW, it matters), or live without the exaggerated bass frequencies you are trying to produce sans sub.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-22-2019 at 04:00 PM.
post #17474 of 17508 Old 06-22-2019, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinlk View Post

Do you happen to have any advice on how to prevent a subwoofer from muddying up the sound stage? I don't know how to describe it, but I've always felt that my sub is too boomy and doesn't sound as crisp as an integrated unit (a regular speaker with both tweeter and woofer) does. Plus it look ugly.

Sad face :-(
Sounds like your sub is picking up some room gain. If located in a corner that can cause it. Try moving it out from any walls if possible. But your best bet is to do a sub crawl and find the best location. Try several locations and pick the best sounding location or the best based on your aesthetic preferences.

Where we want to put them does not always sound the best.
galonzo likes this.

Onkyo TX RZ830, Chane 3600, AudioSource AMP100VS, XBox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500, NVIDIA Shield, D-Link 16-Port Gigabit Switch, Caavo, Control Center, 2 x KEF Q900's Mains, 1 x KEF Q650C Center, 4 x KEF Q100's Surrounds, 4 x RSL C34E's ATMOS, 4 x Chane SBE-118's
post #17475 of 17508 Old 06-22-2019, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcraig View Post
Were you able to make corrections? If so, what did you do?
I guess it depends on your opinion on room correction software (Audyssey in this case). If you believe that it’s a good thing then there is nothing to correct. The XT32 in your 6200 and my 4200 is doing a better job with the bass than the Integra and my old 3808. A lot of people boost the sub in the receiver after running Audyssey. I have mine up about 3db.
galonzo likes this.

LG OLED55B6P (Calibrated by AVICAL)
Denon AVR-X4200W ** oppo UDP-203 **oppo BDP-103D
HR44 DirecTV ** Panamax 5300 ** Harmony One Universal Remote
Hsu HB-1 MK2 (L, R & S) ** Hsu HC-1 MK2 (C) ** Hsu VTF-15H (sub)
Crowson Technology Level 2 Motion System
MediaLight 6500K Bias Lighting System ** AIRCOM T8 Receiver Cooling Blower
post #17476 of 17508 Old 06-24-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
You really should use a subwoofer. Your L and R speakers have one 6 1/2 inch bass/mid-range driver that has a rated -3dB point of 59 Hz in the bass crossing over at 3,100 Hz in the treble.

Such a small driver will not handle low bass, will distort at higher levels in the bass, and will muddy the mid-range when bass is present. Covering such a wide range of frequencies, and likely driving the bass/midrange driver so hard will cause the full range of distortions: harmonic, intermodulation, multi-tone IM, and even Doppler distortion due to the wide range of frequencies covered.

In addition your AVR (this is true of most AVR's) digitally reduces the level of the L&R signal by 12 dB when a subwoofer is not present. This reduction allows mixing in the unknown levels of bass (unknown to the AVR) from other channels digitally without the overall signal exceeding 0 dBFS and causing digital overs, which can be nasty. The volume control adds most of this attenuation back in the analog domain. The process above will reduce the effective S/N ratio of the DAC by 12 dB and may have other unpredictable results. Multi-channel systems are really intended to be operated with a subwoofer(s).
Wow. Thanks for the in-depth reply. I've since gone back to running with my subwoofer and no longer have any issues with distortion. I've dialed the sub down a bit though and am trying to think of ways to best hide the sub somewhere where it won't be as noticeable.
post #17477 of 17508 Old 06-30-2019, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 186
The X4200W has been great for 5.1 and I'm ready to expand to 5.1.4

Would I be better served by upgrading to a X4500H or adding an additional amp and using the pre-outs?

Are there any pros or cons to going one route or the other?

Sony 75X940E JTR 110HT, Single 8HT, Captivator 1400 Denon X4200W Sony X800M2 ATV4K
post #17478 of 17508 Old 06-30-2019, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Your call. But with HDMI 2.1 just around the corner I'd buy an external amp. They aren't that expensive. Audiosource gets the nod almost by default here but I use the Onkyo M510. Not that much more and a great stereo channel amp. Simple and way powerful enough.

Wait and save your money.
galonzo and irishluck73 like this.
post #17479 of 17508 Old 07-02-2019, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 12
X6200W leading me to believe it can power 11 channels?

Folks,

I was looking through my options for expanding my 7.1 system to 5.1.4 on my X6200W, and there is a amp assign setting that leads me to believe I can run 7.1.4 without external amplification and I am confused (given the receiver only has 9 amps).

Assign mode: 9.1
Layout: 5ch + SB
Height: Height sp 4ch, Dolby sp none
Layout: Top front, Top rear

Reading that correctly, that is 5 channels + 2 channels (surround back) + 4 channels (height) = 11 channels.

What happens in this configuration? The manual shows at least 3 examples of 13 channels connected with only a single 2 channel external amp. What am I missing here?
post #17480 of 17508 Old 07-02-2019, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash28 View Post
Folks,

I was looking through my options for expanding my 7.1 system to 5.1.4 on my X6200W, and there is a amp assign setting that leads me to believe I can run 7.1.4 without external amplification and I am confused (given the receiver only has 9 amps).

Assign mode: 9.1
Layout: 5ch + SB
Height: Height sp 4ch, Dolby sp none
Layout: Top front, Top rear

Reading that correctly, that is 5 channels + 2 channels (surround back) + 4 channels (height) = 11 channels.

What happens in this configuration? The manual shows at least 3 examples of 13 channels connected with only a single 2 channel external amp. What am I missing here?
The X6200W is a 9CH model with 9 built-in amps. It can do a 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 setup without adding a 2CH amp. The sound mode selected would determine whether the SB speakers are silent and 4 Top speakers used or the SB speakers active and only 2 Top speakers used. For a 7.1.4 setup, you would need to add a 2CH external amp.
galonzo likes this.
post #17481 of 17508 Old 07-02-2019, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
The X6200W is a 9CH model with 9 built-in amps. It can do a 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 setup without adding a 2CH amp. The sound mode selected would determine whether the SB speakers are silent and 4 Top speakers used or the SB speakers active and only 2 Top speakers used. For a 7.1.4 setup, you would need to add a 2CH external amp.
Well, that's awesome. So you are saying that if I connect them all and I play Atmos material, the 5.1.4 (ceiling speakers) activate, and if I play Dolby HD 7.1 material, the rear speakers activate and ceiling speakers go inactive?

If so, given my non-optimized ceiling mounted rears, this is AWESOME news.

What about if I am using the DSU on 5.1 or 7.1 content. Does that activate the Atmos speakers?
post #17482 of 17508 Old 07-03-2019, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash28 View Post
Well, that's awesome. So you are saying that if I connect them all and I play Atmos material, the 5.1.4 (ceiling speakers) activate, and if I play Dolby HD 7.1 material, the rear speakers activate and ceiling speakers go inactive?

If so, given my non-optimized ceiling mounted rears, this is AWESOME news.

What about if I am using the DSU on 5.1 or 7.1 content. Does that activate the Atmos speakers?
Yes. Both the Dolby Surround and DTS Neural:X simulators would send audio to the height speakers as well.
post #17483 of 17508 Old 07-05-2019, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Denon AVR-X3200 incorrect connection,

Hello Guys,
I bought Klipsch system 7.1 with Denon AVR-X3200 (used, 100% everything is working - checked). I come back home and I forgot to take Denon remote control from the seller (so the only connection with Denon so far I have is by application). I wanted to watch some movie on Netflix however there is no sound at all. I gave up, then I thought I will check PS4 - I turned on Witcher and OMG everything was working with amazing sound. OK, so I thought let's watch Netflix through PS4, I was able to hear a sound and watch a movie but the sound is very quiet and muffled. Is there any way to fix it? The best way would be just to play it through TV without PS4 but for some reason, I can't hear speakers at all. I will attach the picture of how I connected the TV and PS4, sorry for such an easy question but I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Denon - Copy.PNG
Views:	24
Size:	524.2 KB
ID:	2587940  
post #17484 of 17508 Old 07-05-2019, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsonnens View Post
I’m not home right now but within settings somewhere you can check your input assignments and check to see if you’re hiding any inputs. Perhaps someone else can point you to exactly where to look.

Thanks! This worked the input was hidden.

post #17485 of 17508 Old 07-05-2019, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Connections seem fine. Did you run the Setup Wizard? Try a factory reset?
post #17486 of 17508 Old 07-05-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAYB View Post
Connections seem fine. Did you run the Setup Wizard? Try a factory reset?
Do you mean factory reset on the amplifier? (please remember I don't have remote for Denon)
post #17487 of 17508 Old 07-05-2019, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaromarcin View Post
Do you mean factory reset on the amplifier? (please remember I don't have remote for Denon)
Yes the amplifier. Who knows how the previous owner had it running. Put the Denon 2016 remote app on your phone, should work.
Reset...

http://rn.dmglobal.com/usmodel/DENON...-Procedure.pdf

Online manual...
http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX3200W/EU/EN/index.php

Don't need remote for factory reset. Couple button pushes. Actually don't need remote for anything if you can use the Denons screen.
galonzo likes this.

Last edited by MRAYB; 07-05-2019 at 05:50 PM.
post #17488 of 17508 Old 07-05-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAYB View Post
Yes the amplifier. Who knows how the previous owner had it running. Put the Denon 2016 remote app on your phone, should work.
Reset...

http://rn.dmglobal.com/usmodel/DENON...-Procedure.pdf

Online manual...
http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX3200W/EU/EN/index.php

Don't need remote for factory reset. A couple button pushes. Actually, don't need remote for anything if you can use the Denons screen.

hm...now it doesn't work at all, I'm in the initial setup. In the application, I can not change anything I can only turn on and off first zone that's all. I think the game is over until I will get an original Denon remote or in the worst case, I would have to buy some more advanced universal remote like Logitech harmony? I bought the cheapest one and I could only turn in on and off.

Do you know which Logitech harmony will allow me to also enter and set up the Denon? I bought the cheapest universal remote but I didn't know those allowed only to turn on and off devices( and volume up/down).

Last edited by jaromarcin; 07-07-2019 at 07:07 AM.
post #17489 of 17508 Old 07-06-2019, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 2051
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaromarcin View Post
hm...now it doesn't work at all, I'm in the initial setup. In the application, I can not change anything I can only turn on and off first zone that's all. I think the game is over until I will get an original Denon remote or in the worst case, I would have to buy some more advanced universal remote like Logitech harmony? I bought the cheapest one and I could only turn in on and off.
Moved to Denon thread.
jaromarcin likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #17490 of 17508 Old 07-07-2019, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Firmware error

My 4200 is attempting to update(supposedly only 3 minutes) but it seems to be running into errors.

The last was update fail 10

*** got it fixed, I tried plugging in an Ethernet cable and it finally worked
mrtickleuk likes this.

Last edited by byeloe; 07-07-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
4:4:4 , alexa , arc , audyseey , Audyssey , avr , AVR-X2200W , bluetooth , chroma , connect , Denon , denon 2200w , denon x1200w , lfe , s710w , s910w , spotify , x-1200w , x1200w , x2200w , x3200w , x4200 , x4200w , x6200w , Yamaha