The "OFFICIAL" 2015 Denon "S-series" / "X-series" AVR Owner's thread + FAQ (HDCP 2.2) - Page 586 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 101704Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #17551 of 17562 Old 08-12-2019, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,280
Mentioned: 716 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22163 Post(s)
Liked: 12033
Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
@jdsmoothie and/or @batpig , are these (2015) the last models not subject to the possibility of the removal of cross-upmixing between DTS Neural:X and DSU for Dolby or DTS content (has this already happened in the newer models)? I'm thinking about upgrading to be able to use the Audy app, but not if it means no cross-upmixing...
AFAIK, the loss never applied to other than the 2019 and newer models.
galonzo likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17552 of 17562 Old 08-13-2019, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
biglen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Limerick, PA
Posts: 617
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have the S710W, and was wondering if it would be worth getting a newer model receiver, or does the 710 still hang tough in today's audio world?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
biglen is offline  
post #17553 of 17562 Old 08-14-2019, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,280
Mentioned: 716 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22163 Post(s)
Liked: 12033
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
I have the S710W, and was wondering if it would be worth getting a newer model receiver, or does the 710 still hang tough in today's audio world?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Depends on whether you want any of the newer features found on more current models. Review post 1 in each of the 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 Owner's threads. These 2015 models are the oldest that are able to pass 4k/HDCP 2.2 video.
galonzo likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17554 of 17562 Old 08-14-2019, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
JudgeSmails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Posts: 960
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Hi all, looking for general advice. Looking to upgrade from my current unit, a Denon AVR-X2200W. Long story short, I recently had a very poor customer service situation with Denon's parent company. While my 2200 has been pretty good overall (only real complaints are wifi connection is often spotty if it works at all) I am hesitant to just get another Denon due to my recent experience. Outside of my receiver I am running into quality problems with Sound United products right after warranty runs out.

Would you get another, newer Denon when upgrading from a 2015 Denon X? Or would you look at an alternative like Yamaha or Pioneer? I'm not an Onkyo fan.

Thanks in advance.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
JudgeSmails is offline  
post #17555 of 17562 Old 08-14-2019, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,280
Mentioned: 716 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22163 Post(s)
Liked: 12033
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
Hi all, looking for general advice. Looking to upgrade from my current unit, a Denon AVR-X2200W. Long story short, I recently had a very poor customer service situation with Denon's parent company. While my 2200 has been pretty good overall (only real complaints are wifi connection is often spotty if it works at all) I am hesitant to just get another Denon due to my recent experience. Outside of my receiver I am running into quality problems with Sound United products right after warranty runs out.

Would you get another, newer Denon when upgrading from a 2015 Denon X? Or would you look at an alternative like Yamaha or Pioneer? I'm not an Onkyo fan.

Thanks in advance.
Network related issues are more often the result of the model of modem/router in use. Every major brand is likely to have some negative customer service experiences. As this is a Denon thread, the recommendation is of course going to be to upgrade to a newer Denon model if it meets your feature/input/output requirements.
JudgeSmails and galonzo like this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #17556 of 17562 Old 08-14-2019, 09:45 AM
Member
 
kmd1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Exclamation

I just got an update for my S910W

4600-9481-4035

Anyone know what was fixed?
kmd1970 is offline  
post #17557 of 17562 Old 08-15-2019, 10:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm extremely frustrated with my 910 and the weirdest issue:

After several hours of troubleshooting and changing out cables and ports. It seems to be a handshake issue somewhere in the chain.

A) If I start out with ATV > AVR (via HDMI out 1) > TV HDMI 1, I either get a black screen or fuzz.

B) If I go through ATV > AVR (via HDMI out 2) > Oppo > TV, it works. If from here I switch to the TV's HDMI 1 which is also hooked up to HDMI out 1, it works also! I'm not sure what's going on.

Has anyone experienced this before?
tommyknocker2121 is offline  
post #17558 of 17562 Old Yesterday, 12:27 AM
Member
 
Dougb59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 21
After power outage, AVR-X6200W won't power on (no lights/nothing)

Our power went on and off several times within a few minutes today. After that, everything came back on except our Denon AVR-X6200W receiver. It is completely dead. No lights at all, no sound, no video passed to TV. The power strip to which it is connected is working (no error indications, other connected devices getting power). I tried unplugging it and then plugging it back in a few times. Nothing. I'm hoping it is a fuse or some other easy fix, but I'm concerned. I've spent a few hours searching this and other forums for possible answers. Most discussions of similar problems indicate that there is a blinking/red light or other "signs of life" that the receiver is getting power but is in an error mode or has some damaged components. Ours shows no lights or other indications that anything is powered on.

Any thoughts? Is there a fuse I should check/replace? I think we've had it for about 3 or 4 years, and have generally been very happy with it. We do use a lot of the features and capabilities (multi-room speakers, 2 monitors, many different input sources - including security cameras, phono preamp, etc.).

Any help will be much appreciated.
Dougb59 is offline  
post #17559 of 17562 Old Yesterday, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,280
Mentioned: 716 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22163 Post(s)
Liked: 12033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougb59 View Post
Our power went on and off several times within a few minutes today. After that, everything came back on except our Denon AVR-X6200W receiver. It is completely dead. No lights at all, no sound, no video passed to TV. The power strip to which it is connected is working (no error indications, other connected devices getting power). I tried unplugging it and then plugging it back in a few times. Nothing. I'm hoping it is a fuse or some other easy fix, but I'm concerned. I've spent a few hours searching this and other forums for possible answers. Most discussions of similar problems indicate that there is a blinking/red light or other "signs of life" that the receiver is getting power but is in an error mode or has some damaged components. Ours shows no lights or other indications that anything is powered on.

Any thoughts? Is there a fuse I should check/replace? I think we've had it for about 3 or 4 years, and have generally been very happy with it. We do use a lot of the features and capabilities (multi-room speakers, 2 monitors, many different input sources - including security cameras, phono preamp, etc.).

Any help will be much appreciated.
Try plugging the AVR directly to a wall outlet and power it on using the "hard reset" procedure listed in post 5. If still no life, if you purchased with a credit card, check to see if they offer an extended warranty that extends the mfr's warranty 1-2 extra years, otherwise, if not, time to look for a more current model as a replacement.

Perhaps your home owner's insurance will pick up some of the new purchase price.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #17560 of 17562 Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM
Member
 
Dougb59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Thanks JD - I'll give that a try (but without much hope - since it seems to be entirely dead, so I'm dubious that any combination of button pushing, etc. will do anything).

So, does that mean that there isn't an internal fuse, or some other replaceable part, that may have been fried? It seems a shame to throw out a not-too-old, fairly high-end receiver if it is repairable for, say, under $200.

Thanks again
Dougb59 is offline  
post #17561 of 17562 Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM
Member
 
Dougb59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 21
FYI, I just tried plugging directly into a tested live extension cord from the wall outlet (no surge protector or anything else). Also, the hard reset procedure (hold down up and own arrow buttons on front while pressing the power button). No display, no light, no sound, no indication of life.
Dougb59 is offline  
post #17562 of 17562 Old Today, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,280
Mentioned: 716 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22163 Post(s)
Liked: 12033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougb59 View Post
Thanks JD - I'll give that a try (but without much hope - since it seems to be entirely dead, so I'm dubious that any combination of button pushing, etc. will do anything).

So, does that mean that there isn't an internal fuse, or some other replaceable part, that may have been fried? It seems a shame to throw out a not-too-old, fairly high-end receiver if it is repairable for, say, under $200.

Thanks again
If you really don't want any of the newer features found on more current models, you could of course take it to an electronics repair shop and pay the $80-$100 repair estimate, but likely to cost more than $200 for repair.
jdsmoothie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
4:4:4 , alexa , arc , audyseey , Audyssey , avr , AVR-X2200W , bluetooth , chroma , connect , Denon , denon 2200w , denon x1200w , lfe , s710w , s910w , spotify , x-1200w , x1200w , x2200w , x3200w , x4200 , x4200w , x6200w , Yamaha



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off