The "OFFICIAL" 2015 Denon "S-series" / "X-series" AVR Owner's thread + FAQ (HDCP 2.2) - Page 588 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 101744Likes

post #17611 of 17726 Old 10-01-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZombi View Post
Thanks for the suggestion on whole home surge suppressor. I never knew that they had such things.
Also remember that not all electrical surges come in through the power line.

Some enter through TV cable, and then from the set top box to the receiver. Some enter through outdoor TV antennas, and then from the TV to the receiver.

They can even enter through network cables. We once lost a number of network interface cards in the college where I taught because the long cable runs between the ends of a hallway suffered induced currents from a nearby lightning strike.
galonzo likes this.

M = Mega, m = milli. K = Kelvin, k = kilo. B = Bytes, b = bits. G = Giga, g = gravity. Dan in Saint Louis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17612 of 17726 Old 10-05-2019, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 35
HELP please with external amp

I am going a little nuts. I purchased a monolith 5 channel amplifier to go with my Denon 4200. I connected all the pre-outs to the monolith and the speaker wires to the monolith. I went to amp assign and cannot find an option to use an external amp for the 5 channels (R,L,C,RS, LS). The receiver worked fine when I was using the internal amps. What am I doing wrong? I have a 5.1 system. Thanks in advance.
post #17613 of 17726 Old 10-05-2019, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 759 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22927 Post(s)
Liked: 12543
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWolf View Post
I am going a little nuts. I purchased a monolith 5 channel amplifier to go with my Denon 4200. I connected all the pre-outs to the monolith and the speaker wires to the monolith. I went to amp assign and cannot find an option to use an external amp for the 5 channels (R,L,C,RS, LS). The receiver worked fine when I was using the internal amps. What am I doing wrong? I have a 5.1 system. Thanks in advance.
The main zone pre-outs are always hot therefore there is no required setting to activate them. You're good to go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17614 of 17726 Old 10-05-2019, 08:43 PM

Is there any reason why I am not getting sound? I dont hear sound out of any channel.
post #17615 of 17726 Old 10-06-2019, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Is there any reason why I am not getting sound? I dont hear sound out of any channel.
Is the external amp powered on? If there is a gain/volume knob on the amp, is it raised to at least 80% of maximum? Did you run Audyssey again to account for the difference in gain between the external amp and the AVR?
post #17616 of 17726 Old 10-06-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Is the external amp powered on? If there is a gain/volume knob on the amp, is it raised to at least 80% of maximum? Did you run Audyssey again to account for the difference in gain between the external amp and the AVR?
The amp is powered on. There is no volume knob on the monolith amp. I tried to run Audyssey but there was no sound coming out of the speakers to analyze.
post #17617 of 17726 Old 10-06-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked: 1382
Quote:
The amp is powered on. There is no volume knob on the monolith amp. I tried to run Audyssey but there was no sound coming out of the speakers to analyze.
Is the amp's blue light on?

Are you using the external trigger? If so, temporarily disconnect the trigger cable.

Report back.
galonzo likes this.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon FTV Stick 4K, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
post #17618 of 17726 Old 10-06-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
Quote:
Is the amp's blue light on?

Are you using the external trigger? If so, temporarily disconnect the trigger cable.

Report back.

I contacted monoprice/ monolith. Right now, I disconnected the amp. I will wait to see what monolith says before wintry again. I will post once I hear. Thx
post #17619 of 17726 Old 10-06-2019, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
I contacted monoprice/ monolith. Right now, I disconnected the amp. I will wait to see what monolith says before wintry again. I will post once I hear. Thx

Does it have both balanced and RCA inputs? If so, is the correct option picked? If it has both, there is a toggle switch below the rca input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JVC RS-440 | SI Slate 1.2 120" Zero Edge 16x9 screen | Fusion Lagoon Seating
Denon x4300H | Revel 5.1.4 F206/C205/W893/C763 | Dayton
Sealed 18-HO | Behringer EP4000
Tivo Bolt | Oppo 203 | Apple TV 4K | PS4 Pro | Nvidia Shield TV
post #17620 of 17726 Old 10-06-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeboo View Post
Quote:

Does it have both balanced and RCA inputs? If so, is the correct option picked? If it has both, there is a toggle switch below the rca input.

I didnt even see these switches. Thank you!!!!
shoeboo likes this.
post #17621 of 17726 Old 10-06-2019, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked: 371
I am having trouble mixing HD and UHD passing through my 2200, HD out of Monitor 1 and UHD out of Monitor 2. Port 1 output goes to a 1x4 splitter where I have three HD projectors wired up. Monitor 2 goes to a 4K projector. The problem is that some gremlin doesn't like it set up this way even if only one projector is on. I suspect there are conflicting EDID id's going on and causing havoc. I have temporarily solved it by putting a rf controlled power plug on the splitter and essentially toggling the power depending on whether I'm watching UHD or HD.

In the 2200 menu there is the setting for Auto(Dual), HDMI1, and HDMI2. If I set Port 1 to 1080P:24Hx, 2160 resolution and Port 2 to 720P/1080P resolutions will that fix it? Or are those only used when the video processor is being used? Or, if I set those to those resolutions and then set the output to Dual will that do it? Or do I need to continue to use my jury rigged solution?

Jack
post #17622 of 17726 Old 10-07-2019, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I'm noticing weird lip sync problems when playing blu-rays, especially 4K discs with Dolby Vision and HDR10 through my Denon 4200.

My set up was initially:

1. First HDMI video direct from Oppo 203 to LG OLED C7 (HDMI1 input)
2. Second HDMI audio only from Oppo 203 to Denon 4200 receiver
3. Denon 4200 receiver to LG OLED C7 (HDMI2 input with ARC)
4. Technicolor Expert mode on TV
5. All TV processing off except for Real Cinema which is forced on by the TV for 24p material.

After researching I got the impression that Real Cinema was the culprit because it quadruples processing time so the picture falls behind audio. But, as I said, you can't disable it for certain inputs.

So I tried sending both audio and video to the receiver via a single HDMI cable. This apparently (?!) has the benefit of having the TV send delay instructions back to the receiver via the HDMI2 ARC connection.

That seemed to fix the lip sync while watching movies, but when watching special features the lip sync issue returns - most recently tested with Shout Factory's John Carpenter's Vampires and Lionsgate's Apocalypse Now Final Cut (the intro of which is Dolby Vision).

The only thing that seems to work is scrapping the TV's cinema modes altogether and using Game mode (replicating the settings from Technicolor Expert mode as much as possible).

Oppo/Denon/LG is quite a common combination but my issues "appear" to be unique. Can anyone shed any light? Is there something I can tweak on the Denon? I have switched auto lip sync in but I'm not sure what difference this makes?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
post #17623 of 17726 Old 10-07-2019, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 44
With audio to the Denon 6200 and picture to the C8 TV I dont get lipsync problems (or with TV apps or with anything connected to the Denon only) only with devices connected to the TV with audio routed by ARC. I have lipsync off on the Denon.

I doubt if Real Cinema is to blame - I dont think that function quads the processing time - rather its Trumotion that might and is undesirable anyway. My denon HDMI in is set to PC label - a bit like game mode - and neither are the best options for regular video sources.
post #17624 of 17726 Old 10-07-2019, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsg View Post
With audio to the Denon 6200 and picture to the C8 TV I dont get lipsync problems (or with TV apps or with anything connected to the Denon only) only with devices connected to the TV with audio routed by ARC. I have lipsync off on the Denon.

I doubt if Real Cinema is to blame - I dont think that function quads the processing time - rather its Trumotion that might and is undesirable anyway. My denon HDMI in is set to PC label - a bit like game mode - and neither are the best options for regular video sources.
Tru motion is always off on my system. Horrible feature. So its not that.

Definitely pointing to Real Cinema as the problem. Please note it only engages when watching 24p material - including both Dolby Vision and HDR10 material - and comes on by default when in cinema mode.

Game mode is unaffected. I'm guessing PC mode is unaffected too - because Real Cinema can be switched off. But as you say neither is ideal for movies, though Game comes close if you tweak it right.

Regular stuff is fine.

Last edited by Crazytrekker; 10-07-2019 at 06:25 AM.
post #17625 of 17726 Old 10-07-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeboo View Post

Monoprice tech replied to me today. They did not say anything about the toggle switches. Their response was to send the amplifier back to them for a new unit
post #17626 of 17726 Old 10-08-2019, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazytrekker View Post
Tru motion is always off on my system. Horrible feature. So its not that.

Definitely pointing to Real Cinema as the problem. Please note it only engages when watching 24p material - including both Dolby Vision and HDR10 material - and comes on by default when in cinema mode.

Game mode is unaffected. I'm guessing PC mode is unaffected too - because Real Cinema can be switched off. But as you say neither is ideal for movies, though Game comes close if you tweak it right.

Regular stuff is fine.

Real Cinema on LG TVs converts 60fps material to native 24fps. If your INPUT is 24fps, Real Cinema isn't doing anything. It may appear to be engaged in the menus, but that's just it showing the last used setting. The fact that it's grayed out and can't be changed is telling you that the input signal (in this case, a 24fps signal) doesn't support using the setting.

My C6 has issues with lipsync with certain studios Dolby Vision movies with my Panasonic BDP820 and Denon X2200W. Warner movies appear to be mostly fine (except IT for some reason), Paramount and Lionsgate have the biggest issues with needing delay added in at the player level. I think it's a combination of the way the movies are authored (I know there's multiple different DV profiles that can be used. I don't have issues with HDR10 movies though.

My theory is that LG has a specific delay value that's sent back to the receiver for DV, but depending on how the movie is authored it creates more processing load on the TV, so that delay value isn't constant. Either that, or the delay value just isn't sent back at all on some DV movies. I think the latter may be the case because I can leave the audio delay setting in my player's configuration and the movies that didn't have a lip sync issue before STILL don't have an issue despite there being additional audio delay introduced by the player. Basically, I can leave the 50ms or so of audio delay on my player all the time and it doesn't hurt movies that had correct lip sync before. The only issue is that the audio delay necessary doesn't seem 100% constant on all DV movies and may need adjustment on a movie by movie basis.

Lip sync via ARC (or optical out from the TV) is a lost cause. IF the material is native 24fps AND the audio is Dolby Digital, lip sync is usually (with some exceptions) fine so the majority of netflix and Amazon are fine. PCM audio with 24fps material usually (but not always) means the audio is delayed from the video out of the gate and can't be adjusted "backwards." I'm guessing there's more internal overhead in converting PCM audio to output from the TV than there is just passing the Dolby Digital signal. I bet the reason why it's sometimes ok is that the stream's source has slightly different audio properties.
Crazytrekker and mrtickleuk like this.
post #17627 of 17726 Old 10-08-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm having trouble getting my Menus to appear when I press Setup.Is there a circumstance where it will not show up?

Jack
post #17628 of 17726 Old 10-08-2019, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
I'm having trouble getting my Menus to appear when I press Setup.Is there a circumstance where it will not show up?
Ensure <Video Conversion> is enabled.
post #17629 of 17726 Old 10-08-2019, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ensure <Video Conversion> is enabled.
Where do I turn it on? The manual on Page 240 talks about it but doesn't show where the on/off control is. Also, just above I asked about a conflict when using both Monitor outputs. Post #17621 Was my post too confusing? It's not simple to explain the problem.

Edit: Nevermind on the Video Conversion. Stumbled on it going through the menu on the unit itself. However, still looking for answer to second question.

Jack

Last edited by JackB; 10-08-2019 at 04:19 PM.
post #17630 of 17726 Old 10-09-2019, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Where do I turn it on? The manual on Page 240 talks about it but doesn't show where the on/off control is. Also, just above I asked about a conflict when using both Monitor outputs. Post #17621 Was my post too confusing? It's not simple to explain the problem.

Edit: Nevermind on the Video Conversion. Stumbled on it going through the menu on the unit itself. However, still looking for answer to second question.
The X2200W 2nd HDMI monitor output simply mirrors the first output, therefore for your use case you must set <HDMI Video Output> to either Monitor 1 or Monitor 2 as desired for each source. Note that you can use Quick Select buttons to SAVE each setting as well.
galonzo likes this.
post #17631 of 17726 Old 10-14-2019, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Cannot Use Xbox One S in 4K

Hi,

I have a X3200W running the latest firmware it can download. I finally upgraded to a 65" LG B8 television.

I only have two sources: a Roku Ultra and an Xbox One S. I have no issue with the Roku Ultra in 4K.

However I cannot seem to get the Xbox One in 4K. 1080p no issue When I change the setting to 4K UHD I get the no signal error on the LG TV. In the "4K TV Details" screen in the Xbox I have green checkmarks for all the 4K attributes. I have the refresh rate set to 60Hz and I have tried many different settings in the Video Modes to no avail.

In the Denon settings under Output Settings I have Video Conversion: Off and Video Mode: Auto.

I have swapped cables with the Roku and that didn't work.

Unsure about next step other than trying yet another new cable? Is this even possible?
post #17632 of 17726 Old 10-14-2019, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I got a little further. By disabling Ultra HD Deep Color (HDR) in my LG TV, I can get 4K. So it's working but am I now missing something?

Why was this working for my Roku Ultra but not the Xbox One S?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loungesong View Post
Hi,

I have a X3200W running the latest firmware it can download. I finally upgraded to a 65" LG B8 television.

I only have two sources: a Roku Ultra and an Xbox One S. I have no issue with the Roku Ultra in 4K.

However I cannot seem to get the Xbox One in 4K. 1080p no issue When I change the setting to 4K UHD I get the no signal error on the LG TV. In the "4K TV Details" screen in the Xbox I have green checkmarks for all the 4K attributes. I have the refresh rate set to 60Hz and I have tried many different settings in the Video Modes to no avail.

In the Denon settings under Output Settings I have Video Conversion: Off and Video Mode: Auto.

I have swapped cables with the Roku and that didn't work.

Unsure about next step other than trying yet another new cable? Is this even possible?
post #17633 of 17726 Old 10-16-2019, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm traveling so I can't look for myself. I use my 3200 for Pandora music. Is there an app for Amazon Prime Music? CurrentlyI'm using a 4K Firestick which has the app but is limited to 16 bit. If there was an appon the Denon then I think you could get 24 bit. If it's not on the Denon then you have to pay a lot more, like 2-300 more, for a DAC to get their full UHD music stream.

That's my non-tech assessment. If anyone as this experience I would like to know what the alternative is.

Jack
post #17634 of 17726 Old 10-16-2019, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm traveling so I can't look for myself. I use my 3200 for Pandora music. Is there an app for Amazon Prime Music? CurrentlyI'm using a 4K Firestick which has the app but is limited to 16 bit. If there was an appon the Denon then I think you could get 24 bit. If it's not on the Denon then you have to pay a lot more, like 2-300 more, for a DAC to get their full UHD music stream.

That's my non-tech assessment. If anyone as this experience I would like to know what the alternative is.
No on board app, rather Firestick (or other 3rd party device) is your best bet.
post #17635 of 17726 Old 10-16-2019, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No on board app, rather Firestick (or other 3rd party device) is your best bet.
Do you know of a 3rd party device that will play the full range of the HD music services available for less than $100? Or is this all what we used to call functional pricing? I was in hardware development back in the 70's for a very large computer manufacturer and we used to charge 75% more for a disc drive with double the capacity even though it was the same physical product. All they did in those days was limit the range of the disc arm with a set screw. Is that what we are getting here because the devices that will deliver the higher bit ranges can't be worth that much.

Jack

Last edited by JackB; 10-16-2019 at 02:19 PM.
post #17636 of 17726 Old 10-17-2019, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Do you know of a 3rd party device that will play the full range of the HD music services available for less than $100? Or is this all what we used to call functional pricing? I was in hardware development back in the 70's for a very large computer manufacturer and we used to charge 75% more for a disc drive with double the capacity even though it was the same physical product. All they did in those days was limit the range of the disc arm with a set screw. Is that what we are getting here because the devices that will deliver the higher bit ranges can't be worth that much.
No, but perhaps another member can chime in?
post #17637 of 17726 Old 10-18-2019, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Source Level Volume Issue

Hi All,

I have an X3200W hooked up via HDMI to all my sources.. I have the turn on volume level set to 22. All sources come on with that volume, but on the input where my Panasonic UB820 is connected, it always comes on saying 47 on the volume display, it's very loud..(over twice) and strange.. Is there a way to match it, even through I set it for 22 for that input also?

Very strange that that one behaves differently.. Would think that even if the Panasonic is outputting louder than all the rest of my connected devices, it would still set it to 22 like the other inputs do..

I could understand the source level being the issue if it still came on at 22 like the others, but twice as loud, not actually setting itself to 47.. but maybe I am wrong in that thinking..

My devices are Direct TV 4K, two 1080P Direct tv boxes, Xbox 1 X, Wii U, and the Panasonic UB820.. Connected to an LGC8..

Thank you for the help, I tried to search this out, but seems I can not find the exact situation.

David
post #17638 of 17726 Old 10-18-2019, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denck View Post
Hi All,

I have an X3200W hooked up via HDMI to all my sources.. I have the turn on volume level set to 22. All sources come on with that volume, but on the input where my Panasonic UB820 is connected, it always comes on saying 47 on the volume display, it's very loud..(over twice) and strange.. Is there a way to match it, even through I set it for 22 for that input also?

Very strange that that one behaves differently.. Would think that even if the Panasonic is outputting louder than all the rest of my connected devices, it would still set it to 22 like the other inputs do..

I could understand the source level being the issue if it still came on at 22 like the others, but twice as loud, not actually setting itself to 47.. but maybe I am wrong in that thinking..

My devices are Direct TV 4K, two 1080P Direct tv boxes, Xbox 1 X, Wii U, and the Panasonic UB820.. Connected to an LGC8..

Thank you for the help, I tried to search this out, but seems I can not find the exact situation.

David
There are (4) Quick Select buttons on the remote. One can be used for each of 4 different sources. There are numerous settings that can be saved under each Quick Select to include "Volume" (ie. start up volume) which factory defaults to 40 (but can be changed). Refer to Quick Selects in your Owner's manual, pp. 140-142.
doctorwizz likes this.
post #17639 of 17726 Old 10-18-2019, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
There are (4) Quick Select buttons on the remote. One can be used for each of 4 different sources. There are numerous settings that can be saved under each Quick Select to include "Volume" (ie. start up volume) which factory defaults to 40 (but can be changed). Refer to Quick Selects in your Owner's manual, pp. 140-142.
Great! Thank you for the info jdsmoothie, will check it out!
post #17640 of 17726 Old 10-18-2019, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Hi All
I have the avr 6200 and it was happy with ROku Ultra and VUDU uhd Dolby Atmos films and for some reason it started dropping out with the sound
I have changed cables and the hdmi input and still have the problem
It never drops out when I use my und blu ray player

Unplugged amp for 10 minutes and done a hard reset
Any suggestions

Regards
H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
4:4:4 , alexa , arc , audyseey , Audyssey , avr , AVR-2310CI , avr-s710w , AVR-X2200W , bluetooth , chroma , connect , Denon , denon 2200w , denon x1200w , lfe , s710w , s910w , spotify , x-1200w , x1200w , x2200w , x3200w , x4200 , x4200w , x6200w , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page