AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Receivers, Amps, and Processors (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/)
-   -   The "OFFICIAL" 2015 Denon "S-series" / "X-series" AVR Owner's thread + FAQ (HDCP 2.2) (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2021353-official-2015-denon-s-series-x-series-avr-owners-thread-faq-hdcp-2-2-a.html)

mp5475 09-09-2019 08:21 PM

Hi all. I have 6200w.

Looks like my monitor 1 out is dead after a close lightening strike, hit my neighbor’s house. The monitor2 still works.

My question is what is the main difference between the two other than arc? Still same 4K resolution?

jdsmoothie 09-09-2019 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mp5475 (Post 58536090)
Hi all. I have 6200w.

Looks like my monitor 1 out is dead after a close lightening strike, hit my neighbor’s house. The monitor2 still works.

My question is what is the main difference between the two other than arc? Still same 4K resolution?

Yes.

sbalasu3s 09-11-2019 09:01 AM

May be this question is already answered or i am not using the correct search term - pardon me.

I have a X6200W in a 7.2.4 setup. I was using a Polk RtiA8 and CSi A5 for the fronts. I used the pre-outs for the rear height speakers. Recently i upgraded the fronts to Polk Lsi M705 and M706 fronts. I also got a monolith 3x200W amp to power the fronts.

All i did to make it work was remove the speaker cables from the denon and connect it to the Monolith amp. Then used a RCA cable to connect the front (left, right and center) pre-outs in the denon (the ports about the SB ports) and connected the other end to the monolith. I didn't change any setting in the Denon Menu to specify the pre-outs. It set to the Height2 still as they are powered externally. This setup works perfectly.

My question is : Since the fronts are now powered externally, can the height2 be powered internally by Denon?. How do i go about doing it?. I know the pre-outs are hot and active all the time. I am more confused about the amp-assign section. Should i change the pre-out to 'Front' and that solves it?.

jdsmoothie 09-11-2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbalasu3s (Post 58542472)
May be this question is already answered or i am not using the correct search term - pardon me.

I have a X6200W in a 7.2.4 setup. I was using a Polk RtiA8 and CSi A5 for the fronts. I used the pre-outs for the rear height speakers. Recently i upgraded the fronts to Polk Lsi M705 and M706 fronts. I also got a monolith 3x200W amp to power the fronts.

All i did to make it work was remove the speaker cables from the denon and connect it to the Monolith amp. Then used a RCA cable to connect the front (left, right and center) pre-outs in the denon (the ports about the SB ports) and connected the other end to the monolith. I didn't change any setting in the Denon Menu to specify the pre-outs. It set to the Height2 still as they are powered externally. This setup works perfectly.

My question is : Since the fronts are now powered externally, can the height2 be powered internally by Denon?. How do i go about doing it?. I know the pre-outs are hot and active all the time. I am more confused about the amp-assign section. Should i change the pre-out to 'Front' and that solves it?.

Yes, you simply need to change the AMP ASSIGN pre-out setting to "Front" and then connect the Rear Height speakers to the Height 2 speaker posts (w/X6200W powered OFF). You'll also need to run Audyssey again to account for the different gain in the Monolith.

sbalasu3s 09-11-2019 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdsmoothie (Post 58542646)
Yes, you simply need to change the AMP ASSIGN pre-out setting to "Front" and then connect the Rear Height speakers to the Height 2 speaker posts (w/X6200W powered OFF). You'll also need to run Audyssey again to account for the different gain in the Monolith.

Thanks a lot!.

checker9 09-17-2019 07:53 PM

Will the Denon X4200W do Heos?

On the Denon site, under the X4200 description page it states, "Denon HEOS Link IP Control
Denon's acclaimed HEOS whole home audio system features advanced multi-room, multi-source audio streaming, and the AVR-X4200W features IP control capability with the HEOS Link, so you can control the receiver with the HEOS app."

I am trying to find my X4200 on my Android phone Heos ap but it finds nothing.

jdsmoothie 09-17-2019 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by checker9 (Post 58572668)
Will the Denon X4200W do Heos?

On the Denon site, under the X4200 description page it states, "Denon HEOS Link IP Control
Denon's acclaimed HEOS whole home audio system features advanced multi-room, multi-source audio streaming, and the AVR-X4200W features IP control capability with the HEOS Link, so you can control the receiver with the HEOS app."

I am trying to find my X4200 on my Android phone Heos ap but it finds nothing.

Not on its own no as it is not a HEOS model (ie. the models with an "H" suffix are HEOS models which were only first released in 2016 with the X4300H/X6300H), rather as you stated above, the HEOS Link must be purchased.

https://usa.denon.com/us/heos-link

checker9 09-18-2019 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdsmoothie (Post 58573340)
Not on its own no as it is not a HEOS model (ie. the models with an "H" suffix are HEOS models which were only first released in 2016 with the X4300H/X6300H), rather as you stated above, the HEOS Link must be purchased.

https://usa.denon.com/us/heos-link

Thanks. So newer models with "H" would have Heos built-in and I could cast streams to a "H" model with my Android phone's Heos ap?

jdsmoothie 09-18-2019 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by checker9 (Post 58574660)
Thanks. So newer models with "H" would have Heos built-in and I could cast streams to a "H" model with my Android phone's Heos ap?

Correct. It's like they have the HEOS Link built-in to them.

You can even use ALEXA's voice control to control the AVR as well. :)

checker9 09-18-2019 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdsmoothie (Post 58574908)

You can even use ALEXA's voice control to control the AVR as well. :)

Do you need to have an Echo or similar device linked to it or with no other device the Hs will do Alexa voice control?

jdsmoothie 09-18-2019 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by checker9 (Post 58575422)
Do you need to have an Echo or similar device linked to it or with no other device the Hs will do Alexa voice control?

You need an Alexa capable unit (eg. Echo, Echo Dot, etc.).

checker9 09-18-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdsmoothie (Post 58575462)
You need an Alexa capable unit (eg. Echo, Echo Dot, etc.).

Thanks. One more please. Without an Echo-etc., would I be able to use the Amazon Music within an H model via my phone? Could I search for songs etc. on my phone and then have the Denon play from its internal Amazon Music without an Echo etc.? If so, it would be the Heos ap of something else I would use on the phone to do that?

jdsmoothie 09-19-2019 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by checker9 (Post 58575910)
Thanks. One more please. Without an Echo-etc., would I be able to use the Amazon Music within an H model via my phone? Could I search for songs etc. on my phone and then have the Denon play from its internal Amazon Music without an Echo etc.? If so, it would be the Heos ap of something else I would use on the phone to do that?

Yes, you can select Amazon Music from the HEOS (iOS/Android) app.

cmdrdredd 09-21-2019 08:55 AM

Tried searching through the thread and maybe I missed the answer to a question I had.

If I use Main+LFE in bass management for music, does that setting affect things when I watch a movie with Atmos or DTS:X or gaming with multichannel audio? In other words should I turn it off for other content and then back on for music exclusively?

jdsmoothie 09-21-2019 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmdrdredd (Post 58588680)
Tried searching through the thread and maybe I missed the answer to a question I had.

If I use Main+LFE in bass management for music, does that setting affect things when I watch a movie with Atmos or DTS:X or gaming with multichannel audio? In other words should I turn it off for other content and then back on for music exclusively?

The Subwoofer = LFE + MAIN setting is only different from simply LFE when the Front L/R speakers are set to LARGE, otherwise if the Front L/R = SMALL, then both settings provide the same results.

cmdrdredd 09-21-2019 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdsmoothie (Post 58589248)
The Subwoofer = LFE + MAIN setting is only different from simply LFE when the Front L/R speakers are set to LARGE, otherwise if the Front L/R = SMALL, then both settings provide the same results.

when I play music with this setting off the bass is pretty lacking and everything sounds like it’s lacking low end. When I enable this setting without doing anything else it fills out with more prominent bass from the sub. Especially noticeable when playing in direct mode.

This seems to contradict what you are saying. It’s literally night and day for that usage. I have everything set to small [emoji2369]

jdsmoothie 09-21-2019 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmdrdredd (Post 58589330)
when I play music with this setting off the bass is pretty lacking and everything sounds like it’s lacking low end. When I enable this setting without doing anything else it fills out with more prominent bass from the sub. Especially noticeable when playing in direct mode.

This seems to contradict what you are saying. It’s literally night and day for that usage. I have everything set to small [emoji2369]

DIRECT/PURE DIRECT disable Audyssey and bass management (ie. all speakers are treated as LARGE).

cmdrdredd 09-24-2019 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdsmoothie (Post 58590154)
DIRECT/PURE DIRECT disable Audyssey and bass management (ie. all speakers are treated as LARGE).

So if I set it to main + LFE does that override anything so that I should swap back to just LFE? I like main + LFE for music using direct (best sound for my setup) but don’t want to compromise movies. If I need to change it back and forth I will do that.

jdsmoothie 09-25-2019 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmdrdredd (Post 58602882)
So if I set it to main + LFE does that override anything so that I should swap back to just LFE? I like main + LFE for music using direct (best sound for my setup) but don’t want to compromise movies. If I need to change it back and forth I will do that.

Using the "LFE + MAIN" setting (noting this is a subwoofer setting wherein the subwoofer plays the LFE (ie. 0.1) and the Front L/R lower frequencies below the Front L/R crossover) would be required when using DIRECT/PURE DIRECT for the sub to be active.

raypjuarez 09-27-2019 12:57 PM

I’m stuck in a predicament. I can place two Def Tech Pro 600 as rear heights for Dolby atmos but the problem is that my x2200w doesn’t have the rear height option. My couch is against the wall. Can I set them up as top middle? Should I just buy the Enabked modules? I’m stuck in a an apartment for the time being.

jdsmoothie 09-27-2019 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raypjuarez (Post 58615194)
I’m stuck in a predicament. I can place two Def Tech Pro 600 as rear heights for Dolby atmos but the problem is that my x2200w doesn’t have the rear height option. My couch is against the wall. Can I set them up as top middle? Should I just buy the Enabked modules? I’m stuck in a an apartment for the time being.

If your couch is against the back wall, then they really wouldn't be "rear heights" anyway so nothing lost there, therefore set them up as Top Middle, or better yet mount them to the ceiling above and slightly forward of the couch.

surroundsoundnewb 09-28-2019 01:43 PM

Does the 710 pass through HLG, HDR10 and Dolby Vision?

I'm upgrading from a 1080p screen so I just want to make sure my receiver can handle anything out there (or consider whether I have to get a new receiver).

Thanks

jdsmoothie 09-28-2019 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surroundsoundnewb (Post 58619134)
Does the 710 pass through HLG, HDR10 and Dolby Vision?

I'm upgrading from a 1080p screen so I just want to make sure my receiver can handle anything out there (or consider whether I have to get a new receiver).

Thanks

Yes.

CaptainZombi 09-29-2019 05:28 PM

I'm sort of cross posting this from the new 2019 Denon thread. My question is has anyone had any of their HDMI inputs die out on your S710W and were you able to get them repaired or they were not able to be repaired?

My almost 5 year old Denon S710W just had its second HDMI inputs died out this past weekend after a really bad storm. I even have all of my components hooked up to a APC. The first HDMI stopped working about a few months back, now a second one just stopped working. I am down to 3 HDMI inputs and need all 5 of them due to the amount of devices hooked up. I plan to sell this receiver as-is with the two bad HDMI inputs.

I was at Best Buy today and picked up the S950H, how good of a receiver is it since I haven't had a chance to hook this one up yet and won't till later this evening? I was going to look for a repair shop on the S710, but hear it can get expensive getting HDMI ports repaired and also finding a good shop that will stand by their work.

jdsmoothie 09-29-2019 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainZombi (Post 58623112)
I'm sort of cross posting this from the new 2019 Denon thread. My question is has anyone had any of their HDMI inputs die out on your S710W and were you able to get them repaired or they were not able to be repaired?

My almost 5 year old Denon S710W just had its second HDMI inputs died out this past weekend after a really bad storm. I even have all of my components hooked up to a APC. The first HDMI stopped working about a few months back, now a second one just stopped working. I am down to 3 HDMI inputs and need all 5 of them due to the amount of devices hooked up. I plan to sell this receiver as-is with the two bad HDMI inputs.

I was at Best Buy today and picked up the S950H, how good of a receiver is it since I haven't had a chance to hook this one up yet and won't till later this evening? I was going to look for a repair shop on the S710, but hear it can get expensive getting HDMI ports repaired and also finding a good shop that will stand by their work.

Refer to post 5 and do a few microprocessor resets in a row to try and resolve the S710W HDMI input issue. If no joy, replacing an HDMI board generally costs about $400 if the board is available, however, unlikely in the case of the S710W, therefore better to repurpose the S710W to another room which requires fewer HDMI inputs.

CaptainZombi 09-29-2019 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdsmoothie (Post 58623240)
Refer to post 5 and do a few microprocessor resets in a row to try and resolve the S710W HDMI input issue. If no joy, replacing an HDMI board generally costs about $400 if the board is available, however, unlikely in the case of the S710W, therefore better to repurpose the S710W to another room which requires fewer HDMI inputs.

Thank you so much for your quick reply in both threads. I did the reset a few times and it didn't resolve the HDMI input issues, ugh, this stinks. I'll probably try this again later this evening a few more times in a row to see if it does anything, if not I'll just hook up the S950H. I've had HDMI ports go out on other devices too in the past and it just stinks how finicky HDMI is after all of these years that the tech has time to mature. I remember our old receivers with less tech would last for many years, now its like a gamble with these newer ones on how long they will last until some port goes out.

jdsmoothie 09-29-2019 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainZombi (Post 58623298)
Thank you so much for your quick reply in both threads. I did the reset a few times and it didn't resolve the HDMI input issues, ugh, this stinks. I'll probably try this again later this evening a few more times in a row to see if it does anything, if not I'll just hook up the S950H. I've had HDMI ports go out on other devices too in the past and it just stinks how finicky HDMI is after all of these years that the tech has time to mature. I remember our old receivers with less tech would last for many years, now its like a gamble with these newer ones on how long they will last until some port goes out.

This being the case, look to possible internal electrical wiring issues in your home (eg. other appliances powering on causing a power surge). Also consider adding a quality surge suppressor (ie. not a power strip) between the AVR and the wall outlet.

CaptainZombi 09-29-2019 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdsmoothie (Post 58623370)
This being the case, look to possible internal electrical wiring issues in your home (eg. other appliances powering on causing a power surge). Also consider adding a quality surge suppressor (ie. not a power strip) between the AVR and the wall outlet.

We had some very bad storms on Friday that caused the power to go out multiple times. Not sure if you had seen my previous message, I have an APC that all of the components are connected to and that didn't help with the second HDMI going out. Wonder if the HDMI board was already having some issues after the first HDMI that went out months ago, it was only a matter of time that this one went out.

BTW, I know that Denon and Marantz are under the same umbrella. Are Marantz receivers better than Denon?

jdsmoothie 09-29-2019 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainZombi (Post 58623390)
We had some very bad storms on Friday that caused the power to go out multiple times. Not sure if you had seen my previous message, I have an APC that all of the components are connected to and that didn't help with the second HDMI going out. Wonder if the HDMI board was already having some issues after the first HDMI that went out months ago, it was only a matter of time that this one went out.

BTW, I know that Denon and Marantz are under the same umbrella. Are Marantz receivers better than Denon?

You may also want to consider installing a "whole home" surge suppressor which generally runs $200 - $300 when installed by a qualified electrician.

Wouldn't say better, rather instead that the comparable Denon/Marantz sister models are generally made up of the same components with the Marantz offering multi analog inputs and main zone pre-outs as well as HDAM pre-amp modules.

CaptainZombi 09-29-2019 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdsmoothie (Post 58623486)
You may also want to consider installing a "whole home" surge suppressor which generally runs $200 - $300 when installed by a qualified electrician.

Wouldn't say better, rather instead that the comparable Denon/Marantz sister models are generally made up of the same components with the Marantz offering multi analog inputs and main zone pre-outs as well as HDAM pre-amp modules.

Thanks for the suggestion on whole home surge suppressor. I never knew that they had such things.

Good thing is that I don't need any of the extra multi analog inputs, so I should be fine with the Denon.