AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Receivers, Amps, and Processors (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/)
-   -   The "OFFICIAL" 2015 Denon "S-series" / "X-series" AVR Owner's thread + FAQ (HDCP 2.2) (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2021353-official-2015-denon-s-series-x-series-avr-owners-thread-faq-hdcp-2-2-a.html)

denck 10-22-2019 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denck (Post 58701652)
Great! Thank you for the info jdsmoothie, will check it out!

Just to follow up, the quick select change fixed my problem! Thank you!

jdsmoothie 10-22-2019 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denck (Post 58718354)
Just to follow up, the quick select change fixed my problem! Thank you!

Excellent! Thanks for the follow up. :)

loungesong 10-27-2019 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loungesong (Post 58687020)
I got a little further. By disabling Ultra HD Deep Color (HDR) in my LG TV, I can get 4K. So it's working but am I now missing something?



Why was this working for my Roku Ultra but not the Xbox One S?

Just in case I can help someone else I solve this. It was the HDMI cable. My five-year-old cable was 50 feet long and could not support the bandwidth requirements. I swapped it out for a fiber optic cable and no problems at all.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jdsmoothie 10-28-2019 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loungesong (Post 58740522)
Just in case I can help someone else I solve this. It was the HDMI cable. My five-year-old cable was 50 feet long and could not support the bandwidth requirements. I swapped it out for a fiber optic cable and no problems at all.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks for reporting back with the resolution. A reminder to all purchasing 4k TVs that they will need to upgrade older version HDMI cables to "Premium" certified 4k/18gbps or fiber optic 4k/18gbps cables when trying to pass a 4k source.

digitalsoundx 10-28-2019 02:06 AM

Low sound quality on AVR X1200W Denon
 
Hi everyone I have this Denon AVR X1200W Denon and the audio quality on stereo mode while playing from USB drive or even from Bluetooth is very low. It feels very basic like I am playing on a standard player.

Btw I have Boston speakers connected to them and the calibration and setup is done right.

The Dolby mode is fine but is there anything special I need to add to this reciever to play quality and crystal clear audio on stereo mode while playing songs. TIA

Leeliemix 10-28-2019 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalsoundx (Post 58740842)
Hi everyone I have this Denon AVR X1200W Denon and the audio quality on stereo mode while playing from USB drive or even from Bluetooth is very low. It feels very basic like I am playing on a standard player.



Btw I have Boston speakers connected to them and the calibration and setup is done right.



The Dolby mode is fine but is there anything special I need to add to this reciever to play quality and crystal clear audio on stereo mode while playing songs. TIA



What do you mean with basic like on a standard player?
Bluetooth afaik is not really good to use for sound quality.
What quality is the music on your USB drive?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

digitalsoundx 10-28-2019 05:55 AM

What I meant by saying basic is that the audio is not much powerful and clear. The kind of price that this reciever has I was expecting the audio to be much better if not flawless. Just to give a comparison I have a low cost TDA3116 amp and the stereo sound on it sounds way much better. You can hear every detail the vocals the instruments it's still not the best but given the price which is only $30 I think it outperforms in everything in stereo sound.

What I dont understand is that why the audio on the Denon is not able to produce much clarity like vocals and instruments in stereo mode given the price it has as I was expecting it to be flawless. Oh btw I have checked the equalizers there isn't any problem there.

Even if we leave the Bluetooth the audio is average on USB mode.

eljaycanuck 10-28-2019 06:05 AM

- What speakers (make & model) do you have?
- Are you using speakers only or speakers + subwoofer?
- Did you run Audyssey as described in the Denon's owner's manual?
- If 'yes', after you ran it did you go into the speaker set-up menu and set all speakers to "small" and the crossover settings to 80Hz?
- Are you comparing both receivers/amps at roughly the same volume levels?

digitalsoundx 10-28-2019 07:25 AM

These are the speakers that I have

Boston Acoustics SoundWareXS5.1 and are calibrated by the installation guys from the store.

Just few minutes ago I was reading somewhere to play audio nonstop for 10-12 hours to get better sound from these speakers.

I have never done that is that required to do or anything else to get better sound.

eljaycanuck 10-28-2019 07:41 AM

Run Audyssey, then go into the speaker set-up menu and set all speakers to "small" and the crossover settings to 150Hz. (Also try 200Hz.)

jdsmoothie 10-28-2019 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalsoundx (Post 58740842)
Hi everyone I have this Denon AVR X1200W Denon and the audio quality on stereo mode while playing from USB drive or even from Bluetooth is very low. It feels very basic like I am playing on a standard player.

Btw I have Boston speakers connected to them and the calibration and setup is done right.

The Dolby mode is fine but is there anything special I need to add to this reciever to play quality and crystal clear audio on stereo mode while playing songs. TIA

Raise the master volume level of the AVR.

Also, consider changing the <RESTORER> setting (p. 156 Owner's manual) from the factory default of "LOW" to either "MEDIUM" or "HIGH".

digitalsoundx 10-28-2019 09:37 AM

I will try these settings and update here

loudo38 10-28-2019 02:42 PM

I have a S710W. About a week ago I got a firmware or software update to it. Since the update every 4 or 5 times I turn it on, it doesn't output any audio or video to the TV. I can change inputs and use all functions of the remote and it changes the receiver. The only way I can get it to output video or audio is to unplug it from the wall, for about 30 seconds, then plug it back in. Then everything works normal for 4 or 5 times, and I have to do the unplug and plug thing again. Is anyone else experiencing this since the update?

JackB 10-28-2019 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the 3200. I have an 85" flat panel on my Living Room wall with flanking wall speakers and floor mounted tower speakers. I have moved the towers out of my HT as they are of higher quality, something I wanted for the LR. Currently the wall speakers are disconnected but I am wondering if I can use them for Atmos sound. Their center point is about two to three feet above the center point of the towers. See attached picture. I can tilt the wall speakers slightly to get more separation but not a lot. The ceiling is 10' high so I can't bounce the sound.The rear speakers are in the ceiling and about tree to four feet behind the seating position.

I could mount Atmos speakers in the ceiling but I would rather use the wall speakers if possible as it would save me about $300 and I wouldn't have to cut more holes in the ceiling.

Will what I'm thinking of doing work?

jdsmoothie 10-29-2019 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB (Post 58745472)
I have the 3200. I have an 85" flat panel on my Living Room wall with flanking wall speakers and floor mounted tower speakers. I have moved the towers out of my HT as they are of higher quality, something I wanted for the LR. Currently the wall speakers are disconnected but I am wondering if I can use them for Atmos sound. Their center point is about two to three feet above the center point of the towers. See attached picture. I can tilt the wall speakers slightly to get more separation but not a lot. The ceiling is 10' high so I can't bounce the sound.The rear speakers are in the ceiling and about tree to four feet behind the seating position.

I could mount Atmos speakers in the ceiling but I would rather use the wall speakers if possible as it would save me about $300 and I wouldn't have to cut more holes in the ceiling.

Will what I'm thinking of doing work?

Ideally, there should be a greater separation between the floor and height speakers for a better Atmos experience; however, as you've already got them mounted, might as well test it out for yourself to determine if it's acceptable for you.

JackB 10-29-2019 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdsmoothie (Post 58745692)
Ideally, there should be a greater separation between the floor and height speakers for a better Atmos experience; however, as you've already got them mounted, might as well test it out for yourself to determine if it's acceptable for you.

It was late last night when I asked the question. When I got up this morning I realized it wasn't one of my better posts. Thanks for waking me up.

rexmolsen 10-29-2019 11:37 AM

Why? Denon AVR-S710W sounds shallow compared to my old AVR-2310CI
 
2 Attachment(s)
Hi Folks,

I'm a novice here so I hope this question makes sense and is simple.

I just changed Denon receivers in my home theater thinking i was upgrading to support 4k video. My old receiver is a Denon AVR-2310CI. My new one is a Denon AVR-S710W.
All other components are the same:
- Definitive Tech ProCinema 800 speakers
- Samsung UN65KS8500 TV
- same HDMI cables, speaker wires, same room in the house
- TV source is Netflix, Prime Video via Samsung apps in the TV, and i've also tried using Roku Ultra 4k and Amazon 4k Firestick.

The only thing changed is the receiver. The overall sound just seems shallow now. Movies do not feel as immersive as before. Sorry, I don't have a good technical explanation... just my experience. I've tried different configurations using optical cable and HDMI ARC to get sound to the receiver.

What is the main difference in the receivers that could cause this?
- Is it simply the watts per channel difference? 75w (new) vs 105(old) @ 8 ohms
- Or are there other factors I should consider?

Below are links to the specs of the two receivers. I'm just looking for the key difference that would account for the sound difference.

Thank you!!

Russdawg1 10-29-2019 11:42 AM

Cheap, mass market model vs expensive, quality model.

That 2310 sold for $1000 originally.

Leeliemix 10-29-2019 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russdawg1 (Post 58747728)
Cheap, mass market model vs expensive, quality model.

That 2310 sold for $1000 originally.



This and maybe audyssey use/not use and how well the auto setup was performed.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jdsmoothie 10-29-2019 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexmolsen (Post 58747694)
Hi Folks,

I'm a novice here so I hope this question makes sense and is simple.

I just changed Denon receivers in my home theater thinking i was upgrading to support 4k video. My old receiver is a Denon AVR-2310CI. My new one is a Denon AVR-S710W.
All other components are the same:
- Definitive Tech ProCinema 800 speakers
- Samsung UN65KS8500 TV
- same HDMI cables, speaker wires, same room in the house
- TV source is Netflix, Prime Video via Samsung apps in the TV, and i've also tried using Roku Ultra 4k and Amazon 4k Firestick.

The only thing changed is the receiver. The overall sound just seems shallow now. Movies do not feel as immersive as before. Sorry, I don't have a good technical explanation... just my experience. I've tried different configurations using optical cable and HDMI ARC to get sound to the receiver.

What is the main difference in the receivers that could cause this?
- Is it simply the watts per channel difference? 75w (new) vs 105(old) @ 8 ohms
- Or are there other factors I should consider?

Below are links to the specs of the two receivers. I'm just looking for the key difference that would account for the sound difference.

Thank you!!

Although the 2310CI is a higher level model (older grant you), they both use the same version of Audyssey MultEQ. Try doing another Audyssey EQ with the mic groupings closer together (ie. no more than 1' radius around the 1st mic position which should be done at the main listening position, ie. where you sit).

rexmolsen 10-29-2019 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdsmoothie (Post 58747878)
Although the 2310CI is a higher level model (older grant you), they both use the same version of Audyssey MultEQ. Try doing another Audyssey EQ with the mic groupings closer together (ie. no more than 1' radius around the 1st mic position which should be done at the main listening position, ie. where you sit).

Thanks Leeliemix and jdsmoothie for the feedback. I performed another Audyssey EQ and the sound is MUCH better. For some reason the speaker distance calculations were way off the first time around (i hadn't checked the results previously). Everything sounds incredibly better now.

Thank you!

JackB 10-30-2019 12:37 PM

I'm stumped. I hooked up my Sony BR player to the Cbl/Sat digital in port that is in the upper left hand corner of the 3200. The Sony is located next to my front projector so an HDMI connection is not feasible. However, I get no sound. I have the 3200 dialed to Cbl/Sat. It must be something basic I'm doing wrong or sound would be present, I think.

Appreciate any help.

jdsmoothie 10-30-2019 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB (Post 58753456)
I'm stumped. I hooked up my Sony BR player to the Cbl/Sat digital in port that is in the upper left hand corner of the 3200. The Sony is located next to my front projector so an HDMI connection is not feasible. However, I get no sound. I have the 3200 dialed to Cbl/Sat. It must be something basic I'm doing wrong or sound would be present, I think.

Appreciate any help.

What does the Sony being close to the PJ have to do with not being able to use an HDMI connection? Are you only passing audio to the AVR and not the video?


Try setting the <INPUT MODE> p. 185 to "DIGITAL" for the CBL/SAT source.

JackB 10-30-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdsmoothie (Post 58753528)
What does the Sony being close to the PJ have to do with not being able to use an HDMI connection? Are you only passing audio to the AVR and not the video?


Try setting the <INPUT MODE> p. 185 to "DIGITAL" for the CBL/SAT source.

Thanks. I had nothing assigned to Coax1.

jdsmoothie 10-30-2019 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB (Post 58753726)
Thanks. I had nothing assigned to Coax1.

The Coax 1 input factory defaults to CBL/SAT so there should be no change required.

JackB 10-30-2019 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdsmoothie (Post 58754706)
The Coax 1 input factory defaults to CBL/SAT so there should be no change required.

There was a - there when I brought up the screen.

jdsmoothie 10-31-2019 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB (Post 58754868)
There was a - there when I brought up the screen.

Problem resolved then. :)

gregoryperkins 11-01-2019 08:50 AM

I'm having a strange problem with my x4200. I have it up in my bedroom since my x6400 replaced it. I mostly use it for the radio in the morning. The other day I turned it on and it switched to bluetooth and indicated it was connected to a tablet. I found the tablet and it was off. I guess I must have connected it at some point in time, years ago. This morning I went to turn it on and it was already on with the input set to bluetooth, same tablet which was still off. I will unpair the tablet, but it sure seems strange that it would be switching like that. Normally it just starts with the last input, I was physically pressing the power button in both cases.

jdsmoothie 11-01-2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregoryperkins (Post 58761870)
I'm having a strange problem with my x4200. I have it up in my bedroom since my x6400 replaced it. I mostly use it for the radio in the morning. The other day I turned it on and it switched to bluetooth and indicated it was connected to a tablet. I found the tablet and it was off. I guess I must have connected it at some point in time, years ago. This morning I went to turn it on and it was already on with the input set to bluetooth, same tablet which was still off. I will unpair the tablet, but it sure seems strange that it would be switching like that. Normally it just starts with the last input, I was physically pressing the power button in both cases.

Simply unpair the tablet from the AVR.

gregoryperkins 11-01-2019 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdsmoothie (Post 58762240)
Simply unpair the tablet from the AVR.


I guess I was wrong, it was on! Thanks.

To be clear it was an old Amazon craplet. Getting the bluetooth unpaired was extremely difficult with their bastardized version of Android. My phone has never done this...


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.