*Official* Marantz 2015 NR-1506/1606, SR-5010/6010/7010 & AV7702mkII owner's thread - Page 164 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12614Likes

post #4891 of 12181 Old 05-28-2016, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 873
Have a read around Audyssey too, it will help you understand terms like crossover, LFE, and such.. cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4892 of 12181 Old 05-28-2016, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
On the actual "EQ" .... nothing. But although there is no problem raising the 60Hz crossover up to 80Hz, lowering the 200Hz crossover down to 80Hz would then open up a non EQ'd frequency range from 80Hz - 200Hz which is why you never should lower the crossover.

Try running Audyssey again a few more times ensuring your FL/FR speakers are aimed right at the mic.
OK,
That makes perfect sense. I will leave the 200 Hz as is but will do a few more runs. My fronts are toed in just a little so I will need to move them to get them to point directly at the mic.
I take it that I will then need to leave them pointed directly at the listening position.
Thanks for the helpful input.
post #4893 of 12181 Old 05-28-2016, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
Have a read around Audyssey too, it will help you understand terms like crossover, LFE, and such.. cheers
Thanks Pete,
I'm on it .
Regards , Alex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4894 of 12181 Old 05-28-2016, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbarbel View Post
Thanks Pete,
I'm on it .
Regards , Alex.
In particular, please take a look at Audyssey 101/FAQ
The instructions in your AVR's owner's manual are woefully inadequate.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #4895 of 12181 Old 05-28-2016, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
In particular, please take a look at Audyssey 101/FAQ
The instructions in your AVR's owner's manual are woefully inadequate.
Thanks for that link I will read that tomorrow when my head is back together !
At the moment I'm past the point where I can take any more in and so a few beers are called for.
Tomorrow I will be raring to go and will hopefully get to the end point.
Once again , thanks for the input. It is very much appreciated.
Regards, Alex.
post #4896 of 12181 Old 05-28-2016, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Postulate: Auro upgrade purchased. VOG connected to Sub 2. When native Dolby Atmos and DTS:X signal is detected, no signal to sub 2? If native DD+ or DTS detected, can the AV7702MKII be set to use Auro emulator, in lieu of DSU or NeuralX?

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC top front, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
post #4897 of 12181 Old 05-28-2016, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 1466
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbarbel View Post
Hi,
I wonder if anyone could help me out with a couple of problems I am having with the installation on my new 7010 ?

Firstly, I am using Q Acoustics Concept 20 as fronts. These are specified to go down to 64 Hz.
I am using Q Acoustics 2010i as surrounds which go down to 68 Hz.
I use an SVS Subwoofer .
I haven't yet installed my remaining speakers (for a 7.2.2) as I need to prepare things.

When the setup (using Setup Assistant) was completed Audyssey had set my fronts (Concepts) to a crossover of 200 Hz and my surrounds (2010i) to 60 Hz. This doesn't seem correct to me but I am not sure.
It seemed to have set the distances spot on and also the subwoofer level seemed very good.
I think that I should manually adjust the fronts and surrounds to a crossover of 80 Hz but am not sure what , if any , effect this will have on the EQ that Audyssey has implemented.
Audyssey sets the crossover based on it's measurements of your speaker's performance as they are set up in your room. It sets the crossover based on where the speaker response first drops to -3 dB. The speaker's specifications are based on measurements in an anechoic chamber which can give a completely different result.

As a guess I'd say that you probably have your surrounds a bit closer to the wall than your fronts and that is likely to give them more reinforcement at bass frequencies so even if their specification indicates that they don't have as much bass extension as the fronts, they may end up delivering more bass extension in the room than your fronts do. Next, bass response can be extremely uneven in the range below 300 Hz in a room and is affected by speaker placement and listening position or, in this case, measurement position. Try playing around a bit with your front speaker placement, especially distance from your front and side walls. It's possible that you're getting a cancellation effect somewhere up above 150 Hz which is causing a dip in just that region so that even though you get much more actual extension than the crossover frequency indicates, there's a dip just below 200 Hz which drops the in room response at that frequency to lower than -3 dB and as a result you get the high crossover frequency. Eliminate the dip and the crossover frequency should end up being set much lower.

Changing your listening position to a bit forward or back from where it is may also help but I'd suspect that the cause of the dip is something in the speaker placement rather than the listening position.

As others have said, lowering the crossover frequency below where it is set isn't a good idea because Audyssey does not provide correction below the crossover frequency and you will end up with some mid-bass which isn't corrected if you lower the crossover frequency.
bigguyca likes this.
post #4898 of 12181 Old 05-28-2016, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aiken View Post
Audyssey sets the crossover based on it's measurements of your speaker's performance as they are set up in your room. It sets the crossover based on where the speaker response first drops to -3 dB. The speaker's specifications are based on measurements in an anechoic chamber which can give a completely different result.

As a guess I'd say that you probably have your surrounds a bit closer to the wall than your fronts and that is likely to give them more reinforcement at bass frequencies so even if their specification indicates that they don't have as much bass extension as the fronts, they may end up delivering more bass extension in the room than your fronts do. Next, bass response can be extremely uneven in the range below 300 Hz in a room and is affected by speaker placement and listening position or, in this case, measurement position. Try playing around a bit with your front speaker placement, especially distance from your front and side walls. It's possible that you're getting a cancellation effect somewhere up above 150 Hz which is causing a dip in just that region so that even though you get much more actual extension than the crossover frequency indicates, there's a dip just below 200 Hz which drops the in room response at that frequency to lower than -3 dB and as a result you get the high crossover frequency. Eliminate the dip and the crossover frequency should end up being set much lower.

Changing your listening position to a bit forward or back from where it is may also help but I'd suspect that the cause of the dip is something in the speaker placement rather than the listening position.

As others have said, lowering the crossover frequency below where it is set isn't a good idea because Audyssey does not provide correction below the crossover frequency and you will end up with some mid-bass which isn't corrected if you lower the crossover frequency.
David,
Thank you so much for the clear and concise answer.
I am now able to make some sense of the Audyssey results.

You are spot on about the positioning of my fronts and surrounds. The fronts are a lot further away from any boundaries and so are not getting much bass reinforcement.

I will play around with their positions and see what results I get but soon I am moving home and will be setting up a dedicated music/cinema room with a 7.2.2 configuration. The room has much more scope for variation than my present room so I will be copying your post into wordpad for future reference, although I must say you put it so logically and clearly that I expect I will have no trouble working from memory.

Once again, many thanks for the very valuable info. It is very much appreciated.

Regards, Alex.
post #4899 of 12181 Old 05-28-2016, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 701 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22007 Post(s)
Liked: 11931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
Postulate: Auro upgrade purchased. VOG connected to Sub 2. When native Dolby Atmos and DTS:X signal is detected, no signal to sub 2? If native DD+ or DTS detected, can the AV7702MKII be set to use Auro emulator, in lieu of DSU or NeuralX?
1. Correct.
2. Yes.
Ted99 likes this.
post #4900 of 12181 Old 05-28-2016, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 6
SR-7010 Upmix 2.1 with 5.1 Signal

I picked up Midway which is English: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.1 Sensurround / DTS Digital Surround Audio 2.1 (listed as mono here but I don't think that's the case: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Midway-Blu-ray/49318/).

I'm trying to get this upmixed but I've gotten nowhere with the Movie button. Either this isn't a supportable idea or if the problem is that the signal is 5.1 but the soundtrack is 2.1.

I need schooling in general. If I watch Poirot on Netflix which isn't flagged 5.1 I get great upmix. Birds and background music to the rear speakers. The signal is stereo but if I chose Dolby from the Movie button it sounds suspiciously good. Too good really.

But no luck with with Midway. Either because the signal is higher than the soundtrack or something I don't know understand.
post #4901 of 12181 Old 05-28-2016, 11:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTGreg View Post
I picked up Midway which is English: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.1 Sensurround / DTS Digital Surround Audio 2.1 (listed as mono here but I don't think that's the case: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Midway-Blu-ray/49318/).

I'm trying to get this upmixed but I've gotten nowhere with the Movie button. Either this isn't a supportable idea or if the problem is that the signal is 5.1 but the soundtrack is 2.1.

I need schooling in general. If I watch Poirot on Netflix which isn't flagged 5.1 I get great upmix. Birds and background music to the rear speakers. The signal is stereo but if I chose Dolby from the Movie button it sounds suspiciously good. Too good really.

But no luck with with Midway. Either because the signal is higher than the soundtrack or something I don't know understand.
It's probably mono. When you upmix mono, nothing changes.
post #4902 of 12181 Old 05-29-2016, 12:54 AM

Quote:

Unlike Denon AVRs which have a "Mono Movie" surround mode that will simulate audio to all speakers in the setup, the Marantz models have no such surround mode available.
post #4903 of 12181 Old 05-29-2016, 04:15 AM

Quote:

Press on the Info button on the receiver's remote. It'll generate an on-screen display showing which input channels the player is providing to the receiver. I seem to recall a claim that Neural:X doesn't work for stereo signals. However, the soundtrack will be up-mixable by Dolby Surround if you decode the audio into PCM in the player.

Selden

post #4904 of 12181 Old 05-29-2016, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sirius /xm

Good morning, SR5010, newbie, online music stuck on a song.... Display setting shows 18 seconds into a song on Sirius/xm, will not shut down , logged out and back in of Pandora and Sirius /xm ... Is there a soft reboot? Or any thoughts?
Also are what are advantages/disadvantages to dynamic sound? I currently have it turned off....
Thanks all
post #4905 of 12181 Old 05-29-2016, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quick question about the 5010 that I hope someone can answer - I have a 6.1 channel setup with no center channel speaker. Obviously I have the 5010 configured with center = none.

I find then when playing a 7ch LPCM source, I get no center channel audio. Is this the expected behavior ? I assume yes and it's because PCM input is not processed, but wanted to confirm.
post #4906 of 12181 Old 05-29-2016, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris3G View Post
Quick question about the 5010 that I hope someone can answer - I have a 6.1 channel setup with no center channel speaker. Obviously I have the 5010 configured with center = none.

I find then when playing a 7ch LPCM source, I get no center channel audio. Is this the expected behavior ? I assume yes and it's because PCM input is not processed, but wanted to confirm.
No, not normal. Even in "Direct" mode downmixing should work.
post #4907 of 12181 Old 05-29-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke M View Post
It's probably mono. When you upmix mono, nothing changes.
2.1 is mono? Or is the idea that it is going to two speakers but is the same signal to both and therefore won't upmix?
post #4908 of 12181 Old 05-29-2016, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke M View Post
No, not normal. Even in "Direct" mode downmixing should work.
Interesting, thanks. That's definitely not the behavior i'm getting, and I've verified it works the same with multiple different sources.
post #4909 of 12181 Old 05-29-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris3G View Post

Not processed? Huh? When the Center speaker is set to NONE, the center channel audio is split between the FL/FR speakers whether the audio is PCM or bitstream.
post #4910 of 12181 Old 05-29-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
2.1 is mono? Or is the idea that it is going to two speakers but is the same signal to both and therefore won't upmix?
The latter. When there's no difference at all between the two incoming signals, there's nothing the upmixers can do.

Selden

post #4911 of 12181 Old 05-29-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
The latter. When there's no difference at all between the two incoming signals, there's nothing the upmixers can do.
To make sure I got it right, if it's two channel stereo then it can upmix to all speakers. But if it's two channel with the same signal then it knows not to try? I don't see why some ranges of audio can't be sent to the side and rear surrounds. It would surprise me if it gives up because the signal is the same. I find "dts Digital Surround" to be deceptive if only two speakers fire.

And I'm sticking with 5.1 on the signal because regardless of the settings those channels light up with the info button.

I think I need to send copies out to others to see.
post #4912 of 12181 Old 05-29-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Press on the Info button on the receiver's remote. It'll generate an on-screen display showing which input channels the player is providing to the receiver. I seem to recall a claim that Neural:X doesn't work for stereo signals. However, the soundtrack will be up-mixable by Dolby Surround if you decode the audio into PCM in the player.
I haven't turned on Neural:X in the player. Good idea on PCM since I've been running uncompressed bitstream. But no help. Dolby Surround does show up and I lose the DTS options that are on the sleeve. But no difference.

I just looked under a magnifying glass and it talks about 4.0 and 5.1 soundtracks. I'll scan that in and send a copy to a friend to test on another brand player.
post #4913 of 12181 Old 05-30-2016, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 21
which differences are between 6010 and 7010?
post #4914 of 12181 Old 05-30-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Montana View Post
which differences are between 6010 and 7010?
Refer to posts 5 and 6 on page 1 of this thread for more info.
post #4915 of 12181 Old 05-30-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Refer to posts 5 and 6 on page 1 of this thread for more info.
JD sorry but i still cannot understand the max number of speakers that 6010 supports.
Is it possible to have a 7.2.2 setup without an external amp?
post #4916 of 12181 Old 05-30-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Montana View Post
JD sorry but i still cannot understand the max number of speakers that 6010 supports.
Is it possible to have a 7.2.2 setup without an external amp?
SR6010 - 7CH AVR - 5.2.2 out of the box or 5.2.4/7.2.2 w/2CH external amp

SR7010 - 9CH AVR - 5.2.4/7.2.2 out of the box or 7.2.4 w/2CH external amp
post #4917 of 12181 Old 05-30-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
SR6010 - 7CH AVR - 5.2.2 out of the box or 5.2.4/7.2.2 w/2CH external amp

SR7010 - 9CH AVR - 5.2.4/7.2.2 out of the box or 7.2.4 w/2CH external amp
Thank you JD!!!
post #4918 of 12181 Old 05-30-2016, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Just got the Marantz SR-6010. Great amp so far but I have a question regarding the drop-down panel in the front. When I push it down it goes down automatically but when I lift it back it sometimes makes a scratching sound. Sometimes it's negligible.

Is this normal? Am I not supposed to be hearing any strange sounds when I push it back up or...?
post #4919 of 12181 Old 05-31-2016, 12:55 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Anyone?
post #4920 of 12181 Old 05-31-2016, 01:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Mire View Post
Anyone?
Hi Stephan,
I have the 7010 but assume the flap is the same on the 6010 and no, I do not hear a scratching sound when it is opened or closed.
It sounds to me like there is some slight fouling of the hinge mechanism.
As it is not a serious issue I would try soaking a cotton bud in some WD 40 ( a light lubricating oil) and carefully applying it to the hinge area. The hinge is well away from any electronics so with care you should be fine but do not spray the oil , just use a cotton bud and tread lightly.
Let us know how you get on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
7010 , av7702mkii , hdmi marantz nr1506 , Marantz , marantz 7702 256gb ssd , marantz sr5010 , no sound , nr1506 , NR1606 , SR5010 , sr6010 , sr7010 , subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page