*Official* Marantz 2015 NR-1506/1606, SR-5010/6010/7010 & AV7702mkII owner's thread - Page 172 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12611Likes

post #5131 of 12156 Old 06-12-2016, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 692 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21882 Post(s)
Liked: 11863
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidwelr1 View Post
My dad needs a new receiver and need to know if he'll need one with HDMI 2.0 if he gets a new 4K tv? Receivers without the newest HDMI won't be able to realize the full extent of the tv without it....correct? He really doesn't need one of the newest receivers with Atmos, etc. so I was hoping to get him a refurbished one that came out a couple of years ago like the sr7008.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
He will need either a 2015 or 2016 model unless the 4k source video is passed directly to the TV (eg. dual HDMI 4k BDP passing video to TV and audio to the non-4k AVR (eg. SR7008).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5132 of 12156 Old 06-12-2016, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
He will need either a 2015 or 2016 model unless the 4k source video is passed directly to the TV (eg. dual HDMI 4k BDP passing video to TV and audio to the non-4k AVR (eg. SR7008).

Thanks as always JD. That's what I thought. It can be done but it's a little more difficult and you wouldn't be able to do all the video switching via the AVR so that's why I'm thinking he should just go ahead and get one with the new HDMI standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5133 of 12156 Old 06-12-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidwelr1 View Post
Thanks as always JD. That's what I thought. It can be done but it's a little more difficult and you wouldn't be able to do all the video switching via the AVR so that's why I'm thinking he should just go ahead and get one with the new HDMI standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would be easiest, yes. Also don't forget to tell him to upgrade to the newer 4k "Premium" HDMI cables.

http://www.monoprice.com/search/inde...igLink-2470763
toddn149 and tidwelr1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5134 of 12156 Old 06-12-2016, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 21
hello again guys,

I just ordered a new cd player marantz CD5005.
Is it better to use the RCA or the optical out to connect it with my SR6010?
post #5135 of 12156 Old 06-12-2016, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4430 Post(s)
Liked: 2496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Montana View Post
hello again guys,

After spending that kind of money on a player that only plays CD's, I would return it and get something that also plays high resolution SA-CD's and maybe even DVD-Audio discs. Perhaps even a universal player like an Oppo so you can also play Pure Audio Blu-ray discs.

If you don't, then I would just use the optical out. Many of these high tech receivers digitize the analog inputs so they can use their DSP chips and so you would be eliminating a possible double conversion of the audio signal.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #5136 of 12156 Old 06-12-2016, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
After spending that kind of money on a player that only plays CD's, I would return it and get something that also plays high resolution SA-CD's and maybe even DVD-Audio discs.

If you don't, then I would just use the optical out. Many of these high tech receivers digitize the analog inputs so they can use their DSP chips and so you would be eliminating a possible double conversion of the audio signal.
Hello Dan and thanks for the instant reply.

I usually listen tracks that i bought from iTunes from my macbook using Airplay.
I have already ripped most of my cds and listen them from my PC using DLNA. I have also a Spotify premium account.
I want a cd player just in case and sometimes for convenience reasons (ie when i buy new cds or when i have my PC & Mac shutdown).
post #5137 of 12156 Old 06-12-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Hello Dan and thanks for the instant reply.

I usually listen tracks that i bought from iTunes from my macbook using Airplay.
I have already ripped most of my cds and listen them from my PC using DLNA. I have also a Spotify premium account.
I want a cd player just in case and sometimes for convenience reasons (ie when i buy new cds or when i have my PC & Mac shutdown).
I would still get something like an Oppo universal player if you're willing to buy a spendy CD-only player IMHO. You can also play ultra-high res Pure Audio Blu-ray's that are as good or better than Super Audio CD's. Regular 16 bit CD's pale in comparison.
bkedwin and Tony_Montana like this.

post #5138 of 12156 Old 06-12-2016, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basa14 View Post
Hey guys,

I have a AV7702 MKII and cannot get any audio out of it from my old Toshiba HD-A3 HD-DVD player via HDMI. I get lossy audio over the optical output, but otherwise cannot get sound out of the A3. The video works properly. I've tried different HDMI cables, and different inputs on the MKII to no avail. I even have a spare A3 and tried that one as well with the same problem. The audio settings in the A3 are set to PCM for HDMI. I've tried PCM and bitstream over optical but then only get stereo over the optical connection. I have no problems getting audio over HDMI from my cable box, XBO, or BR player. Is there some quirk with the HDMI on the Toshiba so that it doesn't work with a modern PrePro?

Any thoughts?

Thank you for help,

Basa14
Strange. Not the same, but FWIW...

It works fine with my Denon AVR-S710W and a Venturer SHD7000, which I believe is based on the Toshiba HD-A3 reference design.

And my Marantz SR5010 works fine with my Toshiba HD-A2 (not A3).
post #5139 of 12156 Old 06-12-2016, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1847 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoGal View Post
Hi all, up front, I'm a noob, out of my comfort zone and hope I'm in the right place. I've been looking for answers to an audio issue that started 5 months ago, shortly after replacing my old receiver and I've found nothing in that time. I hope someone can help me by me posting my issues specifically. Let me know if I can explain anything further.

Setup: Sony TV KDL55W800B, Mac Mini (2011), ATV4, Oppo Bluray BDP-83, PS4, all connected to Marantz receiver SR6010, via HDMI. Issues started when I replaced my old Marantz SR7002 with the SR6010 in January.

Issue: Audio playback through the Mac mini (my media centre) was distorting sound intermittently. I'd be watching a show and every second sentence would drop out, or the sound would distort entirely, and then come back, completely at random. I initially assumed it was a VLC playback issue thru the Mac mini. I bought an Apple TV (Gen 4) to remove VLC playback from my setup in February & playback was fine, but amp started switching to AirPlay and zero'ing volume randomly. (Turned off ATV auto remote & devices, issue persists). Bluray & ATV started replicating the initial sound issue described by April. Volume now also seems to increase and decrease during playback randomly. These same issues are now witnessed using VLC, QuickTime, Plex (Mac mini), various blurays (Oppo & PS4), iView, Plex, Netflix, Stan (ATV). There's no consistency to when the sound will fail, or on which device. The only common element in the Marantz. I don't know the correct word but the speaking appears to get pitchy right before the problem hits, it's the first sign that the audio is about to malfunction.

I also have an issue that the receiver display will state 'muted' + mute icon on tv screen, yet I'll have full sound that I can adjust (also random & cannot replicate at will). I also find that when the receiver is turned off & the TV remains on that devices plugged into the receiver will sometimes still work through tv alone (audio & display).

Solutions tried:
- Introduced ATV & removed VLC use (problem now occurs when using ATV).
- Replaced all HDMI cables (no result).
- Turned off ATV auto remote control (as per idownloadblog article) (no result).
- Disconnected & reset receiver from factory settings, problem free for 4 weeks before issues resumed (in May 2016). Disconnecting power fixes issues from 30mins, up to 3 days before recommencing at random times, on any or all devices through receiver (results vary, problem remains)
- Turned off Eco mode on receiver (no result).

Any ideas besides returning to the store and hoping they can replicate these faults? I have captured some footage, but it seems the surest way to fix the problem is to try & record the fault with my iPhone.
Hi NintendoGal,

If no one has said so, welcome to AVS!

Can you advise your speaker setup? Is it 5.1/7.1 and do you plan to go to Atmos/DTS:X/Auro3D object audio? Please take a look at the basic 5.1 setup in the picture below (it's also included in your Marantz SR-6010 owner's manual).

5.1 speaker configuration:

Did you carry out the Audyssey auto-calibration with the supplied mic that came with the SR-6010? If so, what are the results? When carrying out the auto-calibration, were all the speakers able to "see" the mic and the angles from each speaker to the Main Listening Position (MLP) are that shown in picture above? Using a mic boom stand or tripod for the auto-calibration will give more consistent and repeatable results, but one can also use the rocket ship cardboard that came with your receiver as a start.

What is the make and model number of the speakers you're using? Are you using a sub?

What is the listening room dimensions? Front to back, side to side and floor to ceiling? How far away are the speakers from the room boundaries?

Is your SR-6010 brand new or a 2nd hand unit (i.e re-furbished). The warranty will tell you as a brand new unit comes with a 3-year warranty from an authorized dealer while the 2nd hand only gets a single year. If you did get a 2nd hand unit, carry out multiple factory resets (jdsmoothie recommends 4x to 5x) to clear the internal memory. Please note that getting a 2nd hand unit means taking on some risk and at least one 2016 Marantz owner had to go through 3 re-furbished units, before being satisfied with his 4th unit.

Use the Oppo universal blu-ray player BDP-83 as the test source, the Oppo will send both accurate video and sound signals to the SR-6010. Ensure that bit-streaming is enabled on the Oppo with secondary audio set to OFF. If the Oppo has deep color, also turn it OFF. Grab a calibration disc such as the Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark and Calibration Disc 2nd Edition and a hand held SPL meter with C weighting. With the volume at 0dB (80 on the absolute scale) on the SR-6010, play the 75dB test tones for each of the speaker channels on the calibration disc. At the MLP and with the SPL meter held at ear height, are you getting 75dB? There will be some slight errors depending on the accuracy of the hand held meter, but it shouldn't be more than +/-3dB.

Once you've got the Oppo and SR-6010 setup correctly, test with the PS4. Are the results the same? It should be, if not then there some settings on the PS4 that needs to be adjusted.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
post #5140 of 12156 Old 06-12-2016, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked: 855
Quote:
hello again guys,

Hey Tony
This lovely CD player has a decent DAC inside, I would use the RCA and spend a little more on the cables. Of course members stateside will give you advise to the contrary, so YMMV.. cheers
Tony_Montana likes this.
post #5141 of 12156 Old 06-13-2016, 03:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 948
Quote:
1. ECO mode should reduce the core temp.
Thank you for your help, ECO mode significantly reduced the heat output of my 7010, it is now lukewarm as expected.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #5142 of 12156 Old 06-13-2016, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post
How much room are people leaving above and below the SR7010 for cooling?
I have a two post rack, the front will eventually be covered with a door but the sides and back are wide open to a storage room..... which I am LOVING for access
Any recommendations?

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
post #5143 of 12156 Old 06-13-2016, 06:39 AM

Quote:
How much room are people leaving above and below the SR7010 for cooling?
I have a two post rack, the front will eventually be covered with a door but the sides and back are wide open to a storage room..... which I am LOVING for access
You'll want at least 3-4" clearance above and on the sides. The AVR has feet which should not be removed.
post #5144 of 12156 Old 06-13-2016, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You'll want at least 3-4" clearance above and on the sides. The AVR has feet which should not be removed.
Thanks jdsmoothie..... so 2U at a minimum. On the bottom I am actually looking at lifting it slightly as the way the front panel hinges hits the front lip on my rack shelf

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
post #5145 of 12156 Old 06-13-2016, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Hey Guys,

Looking for an education and I hope I've come to the right place! I'm looking to start building my first audio high end (a relative term around here for sure ) surround sound system and would like to ask a few questions to the group as it relates to the Marantz receivers. Right now I'm looking at either the SR5010 or the SR6010- both of which I think I'm going to go 2nd hand with, just because the cost savings are so significant (I hope I don't get a lemon!).

I'm looking to eventually build out a 5.1 system when I get the extra dough. However to start, I'm looking to go with a pair of the Chane A5s, Klipsch RP-280Fs, or maybe a 3rd ringer like the new ELAC UF5s. I'd then eventually move on to get a center channel to match, a pair of bookshelves, and I've got my eyes on the prize with maybe a Rythmik L12 sub.

My question is- is the jump to the SR6010 really worth it for someone in my position just starting out (I'm a total novice when it comes to this stuff)? My rough understanding is that the SR6010 comes with an additional 2.1 channels of pre-amp processing, gets XT32, an additional 10W per channel, and allows for better multi room / zone listening. All in all, is the extra $300 or so worth it to make the jump to the SR6010?

Really looking forward to everyone's thoughts, please let me know if I can explain anything further- thanks!
post #5146 of 12156 Old 06-13-2016, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4807 Post(s)
Liked: 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNewGuy View Post
Hey Guys,

Looking for an education and I hope I've come to the right place! I'm looking to start building my first audio high end (a relative term around here for sure ) surround sound system and would like to ask a few questions to the group as it relates to the Marantz receivers. Right now I'm looking at either the SR5010 or the SR6010- both of which I think I'm going to go 2nd hand with, just because the cost savings are so significant (I hope I don't get a lemon!).

I'm looking to eventually build out a 5.1 system when I get the extra dough. However to start, I'm looking to go with a pair of the Chane A5s, Klipsch RP-280Fs, or maybe a 3rd ringer like the new ELAC UF5s. I'd then eventually move on to get a center channel to match, a pair of bookshelves, and I've got my eyes on the prize with maybe a Rythmik L12 sub.

My question is- is the jump to the SR6010 really worth it for someone in my position just starting out (I'm a total novice when it comes to this stuff)? My rough understanding is that the SR6010 comes with an additional 2.1 channels of pre-amp processing, gets XT32, an additional 10W per channel, and allows for better multi room / zone listening. All in all, is the extra $300 or so worth it to make the jump to the SR6010?

Really looking forward to everyone's thoughts, please let me know if I can explain anything further- thanks!
Most people find that the improvement in the quality of the sound provided by XT32 is substantial. Another difference is that the 6010 has a phono input while the 5010 does not. If you have (or plan to get) a turntable, you'll need to add the price of a phono preamp to the 5010 if you don't already have one. The difference in power between them is inaudible, so that's not really a factor, nor do the number of speaker connections matter if you're planning to stick with a 5.1 speaker configuration and not expand to overheads. You'll have to decide how likely it is that you'll use the muttizone features.
Madmax67 likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #5147 of 12156 Old 06-13-2016, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Hey Guys,

I would say yes it is worth the extra.
The Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 does a real nice job of setting up your speakers and subwoofer and is well worth having.
The extra channels will come in very handy when you want to expand your system, as you most probably will. And there is no harm in having the extra power although the difference is not really that significant.
Go for it ! I don't think you will regret it.
post #5148 of 12156 Old 06-13-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Why don't you look at SV Sound's Prime speakers and EMP Tek's Impression series while you're at it? I would also consider four ceiling speakers and get immersed in 3D audio.
Madmax67 likes this.

post #5149 of 12156 Old 06-13-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Not if you can use that savings to get to a center and sub sooner, no.
post #5150 of 12156 Old 06-13-2016, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Thanks jdsmoothie..... so 2U at a minimum. On the bottom I am actually looking at lifting it slightly as the way the front panel hinges hits the front lip on my rack shelf
My 5010 gets too hot to hold your hand on it, and it's in an open cabinet with plenty of space around it.
post #5151 of 12156 Old 06-13-2016, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKiTLz View Post
I just got my Marantz SR6010 to replace my Anthem MRX500 as I want Atmos. Haven't even connected it yet but I'm already questioning it a bit. It feels like a toy.

This thing is LIGHT. I'm supposed to believe it has 7 channels of amplification and 110W (rated in 2 channel) yet it weights 25lbs.
My anthem is 5 channels @ 75W and weighs 34lbs.

Also the front bezel looks like brushed aluminium but it's plastic.

This is an $1800 receiver (Canada). I think I paid $1500 for my Anthem back when they came out and it feels significantly better built. Hopefully it changes my opinion once powered on.
I noticed this right away. Compared to my old Denon 3802 the 5010 a lightweight, probably due to a smaller power transformer and more plastic. The volume control feels like a cheap toy compared to the Denon's as does the remote. But none of this bothers me, the way I see it they are taking cost out of areas that don't matter and it performs and sounds great. With technology advancing year by year they're becoming obsolete faster and faster anyway.
post #5152 of 12156 Old 06-13-2016, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
Strange. Not the same, but FWIW...

It works fine with my Denon AVR-S710W and a Venturer SHD7000, which I believe is based on the Toshiba HD-A3 reference design.

And my Marantz SR5010 works fine with my Toshiba HD-A2 (not A3).
BuGsArEtAsTy,

Interesting. What are the settings on your AVR's and HD-DVD players? I get no sound from HDMI but the video is fine. I've tried every setting I can think of in both the PrePro and HD-DVD players. It is not the end of the world as I can still get audio via the optical route but it would be nice to get the lossless audio.

Thank you,

Basa14
healthnut likes this.
post #5153 of 12156 Old 06-13-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Why don't you look at SV Sound's Prime speakers and EMP Tek's Impression series while you're at it? I would also consider four ceiling speakers and get immersed in 3D audio.
I've never heard of those brands until now, again being new to the hobby . I'll be sure to check them out! I'd love to get ceiling speakers- I just don't think I'll have the budget, nor want to spend the money to outfit my current condo. I'll wait till I get the house!
post #5154 of 12156 Old 06-13-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Most people find that the improvement in the quality of the sound provided by XT32 is substantial. Another difference is that the 6010 has a phono input while the 5010 does not. If you have (or plan to get) a turntable, you'll need to add the price of a phono preamp to the 5010 if you don't already have one. The difference in power between them is inaudible, so that's not really a factor, nor do the number of speaker connections matter if you're planning to stick with a 5.1 speaker configuration and not expand to overheads. You'll have to decide how likely it is that you'll use the muttizone features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbarbel View Post
I would say yes it is worth the extra.
The Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 does a real nice job of setting up your speakers and subwoofer and is well worth having.
The extra channels will come in very handy when you want to expand your system, as you most probably will. And there is no harm in having the extra power although the difference is not really that significant.
Go for it ! I don't think you will regret it.
Appreciate your inputs! I don't see myself being interested in getting a turntable, so I would be able to rule that out. I also wouldn't be utilizing the multizone features, at least at my current place. I guess I'll just have to decide whether bumping up to XT32 is worth the cash. More research to come!
post #5155 of 12156 Old 06-13-2016, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobat View Post
My 5010 gets too hot to hold your hand on it, and it's in an open cabinet with plenty of space around it.
Mine also gets that hot with ample space. I think these things just run hot, so you would for sure what to provide adequate space or even add a secondary fan if you are going to have it somewhat constricted.
post #5156 of 12156 Old 06-13-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I've never heard of those brands until now, again being new to the hobby . I'll be sure to check them out! I'd love to get ceiling speakers- I just don't think I'll have the budget, nor want to spend the money to outfit my current condo. I'll wait till I get the house!
Those two are internet direct from very reputable, long standing brands. SVS also has a 45 day risk-free trial. HSU Research is another great option for subwoofers, though Rythmik Audio subs are also excellent.
Madmax67 likes this.

post #5157 of 12156 Old 06-13-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobat View Post
I noticed this right away. Compared to my old Denon 3802 the 5010 a lightweight, probably due to a smaller power transformer and more plastic. The volume control feels like a cheap toy compared to the Denon's as does the remote. But none of this bothers me, the way I see it they are taking cost out of areas that don't matter and it performs and sounds great. With technology advancing year by year they're becoming obsolete faster and faster anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by breadysmith View Post
Mine also gets that hot with ample space. I think these things just run hot, so you would for sure what to provide adequate space or even add a secondary fan if you are going to have it somewhat constricted.
If you set ECO mode to ON, the AVR temp should drop at least 10 degrees F.
post #5158 of 12156 Old 06-13-2016, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you set ECO mode to ON, the AVR temp should drop at least 10 degrees F.
What does ECO mode do?

Family Cave Theater
post #5159 of 12156 Old 06-13-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
What does ECO mode do?
Reduces power consumption when not required.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #5160 of 12156 Old 06-13-2016, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Reduces power consumption when not required.
Of the amps that are in use? Does it reduce output to the speakers?

Family Cave Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
7010 , av7702mkii , hdmi marantz nr1506 , Marantz , marantz 7702 256gb ssd , marantz sr5010 , no sound , nr1506 , NR1606 , SR5010 , sr6010 , sr7010 , subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page