*Official* Marantz 2015 NR-1506/1606, SR-5010/6010/7010 & AV7702mkII owner's thread - Page 181 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12634Likes

post #5401 of 12309 Old 06-28-2016, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Audyssey settings:

I watch normal tv with couch against a wall in a living room. On movie nights, I like to move my couch in about 4'. Is it possible to save more than 1 Audyssey setting for different sitting experiences? If so, I would even set one up for myself watching tv alone with 1 listening area.

If this is possible, are settings inside unit, or would I use a thumb drive to save these on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 12309 Old 06-28-2016, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4689 Post(s)
Liked: 2727
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbarbel View Post
Hi,
I wonder if anyone can tell me if there is any inherent difference between the Movie, Music , and Game Sound Modes.
The user manual implies that there is but gives no details as to what those differences are.
Each gives you a different list of DSP enhancement add-on modes. The music versions of Dolby Surround and DTS Neural: X, for instance, supposedly give you a less aggressive surround upmixing effect that might be more suitable for movies, etc. etc.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #5403 of 12309 Old 06-28-2016, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Each gives you a different list of DSP enhancement add-on modes. The music versions of Dolby Surround and DTS Neural: X, for instance, supposedly give you a less aggressive surround upmixing effect that might be more suitable for movies, etc. etc.
Thanks for that. I now understand a little better what is happening.
Why can't the manual give us some detail ?
Maybe it does and I am missing it but I have looked for an explanation without any success.
Once again, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5404 of 12309 Old 06-28-2016, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22748 Post(s)
Liked: 12392
Quote:
Originally Posted by landonsdad View Post
Audyssey settings:

I watch normal tv with couch against a wall in a living room. On movie nights, I like to move my couch in about 4'. Is it possible to save more than 1 Audyssey setting for different sitting experiences? If so, I would even set one up for myself watching tv alone with 1 listening area.

If this is possible, are settings inside unit, or would I use a thumb drive to save these on?
You can use the Web Control - SAVE/LOAD procedure to SAVE a copy of one Audyssey configuration (~10 minutes) to a PC and then LOAD it back (~ 10 minutes). Each file would have to be given a unique name otherwise the 2nd SAVE will simply write over the 1st SAVE. Note this procedure is completed using the "network" not the USB input.

Refer to post 4 item 4 in the 2015 Denon AVR Owner's thread linked below for more info on SAVE/LOAD:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post34728969
post #5405 of 12309 Old 06-29-2016, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Which one? SR5010/SR6010/SR7010 with HT Bypass

My AVR4311 died a slow death, so I'm currently using my old 3805 and I'm really missing the Audyssey correction for movies/TV.

I have an Integrated amp with bypass, so I'm all set for my 2 channel listening. I have external amplification, so I'm not that concerned with the receiver's power ratings.
I have an OPPO 95 that I use for multichannel SACD via the analogue inputs, and feeding all external amps via pre-out. To me the 4311 pre-amp sounded better than the 3805's pre-amp, and I'd like to gain some improvement here .

I'm also not too concerned about the better DAC in a higher model, since I'd be using Audyssey and I'm using primarily external DAC's.
If I ever went to Atmos most I'd have is a 5.1.2 or maybe 5.1.4.
For my situation, is there really any reason to just not get the Marantz SR5010? The only concern I have is with the version of Audyssey. I was very happy with that aspect of the 4311, so what's the opinion on XT vs XT32 sound processing? Do people really "hear" the extra processing power?
Quite honestly, all of these receivers have way more features than I'll ever use. The value packed into all of them is amazing.
post #5406 of 12309 Old 06-29-2016, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY1999 View Post
My AVR4311 died a slow death, so I'm currently using my old 3805 and I'm really missing the Audyssey correction for movies/TV.

I have an Integrated amp with bypass, so I'm all set for my 2 channel listening. I have external amplification, so I'm not that concerned with the receiver's power ratings.
I have an OPPO 95 that I use for multichannel SACD via the analogue inputs, and feeding all external amps via pre-out. To me the 4311 pre-amp sounded better than the 3805's pre-amp, and I'd like to gain some improvement here .

I'm also not too concerned about the better DAC in a higher model, since I'd be using Audyssey and I'm using primarily external DAC's.
If I ever went to Atmos most I'd have is a 5.1.2 or maybe 5.1.4.
For my situation, is there really any reason to just not get the Marantz SR5010? The only concern I have is with the version of Audyssey. I was very happy with that aspect of the 4311, so what's the opinion on XT vs XT32 sound processing? Do people really "hear" the extra processing power?
Quite honestly, all of these receivers have way more features than I'll ever use. The value packed into all of them is amazing.
From personal experience with various electronics I think it is very difficult to predict what you may want to do in the future.
Maybe you just could want to go to a 5.2.2 or 5.2.4 or even 7.2.2 or 7.2.4 sometime down the line.
If you are ever using two subs (as I now do after previously thinking I would never have even one) then the Audyssey XT32 really comes into it's own. It seamlessly integrated my two subs into my system and the results are fantastic.

I have just bought my first AVR and it was the Marantz 7010. I wasn't going to buy anything without XT32 and I am glad that I didn't.
Initially I wasn't interested in Atmos but have now bought all the necessary speakers and am waiting to move into my dedicated music/movie room where I will be able to enjoy their benefits. Having the option is fantastic.

My advice would be to go for XT32 and a nine channel receiver if you can, rather than save some cash now but regret it later.

Best of luck with your planning and buying !

Last edited by alexbarbel; 06-30-2016 at 02:52 AM.
post #5407 of 12309 Old 06-29-2016, 09:00 AM

Liked: 14
left/right balance

This question might be better suited for the Audyssey thread, but I thought I'd start here--

I have a 6010 and I am trying to choose between direct and Audyssey for two-channel listening. Both have advantages.
For me, the timbres of instruments/voices seem more accurate/realistic in direct, but the room correction and bass management do what they are supposed to in Audyssey and work wonders in cleaning everything up.
I understand that I must simply decide which I prefer--no problem there--but here is my question:

Part of what Audyssey does is change the db (volume level) of each speaker. In multi-channel, this is a non-issue, but in 2-channel, the placement of instruments/soundstage/center fill changes quite a bit.
So if there is a solo voice or solo instrument placed dead center in direct, when I switch to Audyssey, not only does the timbre change a bit, but the solo voice shifts significantly off-center (in this case, left-center instead of dead-center.) This bugs me so much, that I will probably not be able to use Audyssey for 2-channel listening, which is a shame.

Is it possible to keep the "good stuff" of the Audyssey algorithm and somehow restore the balance so that the soundstage is essentially the same?
I see that there is a way to adjust the speaker distance after calibration, but I have not found a way to adjust speaker volume. Any suggestions?
Might there be another reason why this is happening?
Thanks.
post #5408 of 12309 Old 06-29-2016, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi,
I hadn't noticed the shift in voice that you describe and so just played a bit of music and can say that it doesn't seem to be happening in my system.
My stereo speakers are at the coners of an equilateral triangle and I sit at the apex. All is symmetrical.
Is that the same for you ?
post #5409 of 12309 Old 06-29-2016, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro50 View Post
This question might be better suited for the Audyssey thread, but I thought I'd start here--

I have a 6010 and I am trying to choose between direct and Audyssey for two-channel listening. Both have advantages.
For me, the timbres of instruments/voices seem more accurate/realistic in direct, but the room correction and bass management do what they are supposed to in Audyssey and work wonders in cleaning everything up.
I understand that I must simply decide which I prefer--no problem there--but here is my question:

Part of what Audyssey does is change the db (volume level) of each speaker. In multi-channel, this is a non-issue, but in 2-channel, the placement of instruments/soundstage/center fill changes quite a bit.
So if there is a solo voice or solo instrument placed dead center in direct, when I switch to Audyssey, not only does the timbre change a bit, but the solo voice shifts significantly off-center (in this case, left-center instead of dead-center.) This bugs me so much, that I will probably not be able to use Audyssey for 2-channel listening, which is a shame.

Is it possible to keep the "good stuff" of the Audyssey algorithm and somehow restore the balance so that the soundstage is essentially the same?
I see that there is a way to adjust the speaker distance after calibration, but I have not found a way to adjust speaker volume. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Hi again,
Just been having another look at things and if you want to change individual speaker volume (called Levels by Marantz) the path is :
Setup/Speakers/Manual Settings/Levels/Test Tone Start.

When you select Test Tone Start all your speakers and their levels will be displayed and a test tone will play. You will be able to set the volume (level) that you wish.

Hope this helps.
post #5410 of 12309 Old 06-29-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:

Thanks.
It's actually the AVR that does this, not Audyssey, although regardless, the speakers should each be balanced to provide the same volume level at the MLP (ie. 1st mic position).

In addition to using the Test Tones (global volume change across all sources) you can also use the Option - Channel Level Adjust setting for source specific volume changes.
post #5411 of 12309 Old 06-29-2016, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Is it neccesary to do all 8 positions, as I never listen at those, 3 is max is use on the couch.
I have a feeling that my ht sounds worse with all 8 positions measured, then with only 3 i had done before when i had 5008. Now I have 5010
Surround speakers are way to loud now compared to front, i mean i literally jera sound coming from the back mostly then front
post #5412 of 12309 Old 06-29-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabre View Post
Is it neccesary to do all 8 positions, as I never listen at those, 3 is max is use on the couch.
I have a feeling that my ht sounds worse with all 8 positions measured, then with only 3 i had done before when i had 5008. Now I have 5010
Surround speakers are way to loud now compared to front, i mean i literally jera sound coming from the back mostly then front
You're only focusing on the Main Listening Position (MLP). After the 1st mic position, the additional 7 mic positions are additional data points for Audyssey to use and should be placed no more than a 1'-2' radius around that 1st mic position. Regardless of how many you decide to run, it's your setup, so you can always adjust the speaker volume levels in Manual Setup - Test Tones after running Audyssey to suit your personal preference without impacting the actual EQ.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 06-29-2016 at 11:06 AM.
post #5413 of 12309 Old 06-29-2016, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

So if I fiddle with manual, it will still.keep majority of audyseyy settings, plus the ones I did, or it automatically cancels audyseyy?
post #5414 of 12309 Old 06-29-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
So if I fiddle with manual, it will still.keep majority of audyseyy settings, plus the ones I did, or it automatically cancels audyseyy?
Changes in Manual Setup (LARGE/SMALL, volume, crossover) do not impact Audyssey and when made become the new "active" settings. The original settings will always remain in the Audyssey Setup menu so you can more easily return to them if you choose.
post #5415 of 12309 Old 06-29-2016, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Eeeee, see, audyseyy srt my fornts and center as large, and when i switched to small, to whole sound got quiet and weak and as if audyseyy is not active anymore.
post #5416 of 12309 Old 06-29-2016, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2850
Quote:
Eeeee, see, audyseyy srt my fornts and center as large, and when i switched to small, to whole sound got quiet and weak and as if audyseyy is not active anymore.
That symptom suggests that the signal going to your subwoofer is so low that the sub's auto-on feature isn't working. Turn down the gain knob on the subwoofer and re-run the Audyssey calibration. Usually having the subwoofer's gain knob at the 9 o'clock position is about right but sometimes lower is necessary. After the Audyssey calibration has finished, the subwoofer's trim level in the receiver should be approximately -3. If the subwoofer's gain knob was set too high before the Audyssey calibration, the receiver's trim level often will have pegged at -12, which is much too low for the subwoofer's auto-on to work.

Please take the time to look through the Audyssey 101/FAQ It answers the questions you've asked and many you haven't thought of yet. The instructions in the receiver's owner's manual are woefully inadequate.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #5417 of 12309 Old 06-29-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Easy enough to see if Audyssey is still active by simply pressing the INFO button on the remote.
post #5418 of 12309 Old 06-29-2016, 01:54 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbarbel View Post
Hi again,
Just been having another look at things and if you want to change individual speaker volume (called Levels by Marantz) the path is :
Setup/Speakers/Manual Settings/Levels/Test Tone Start.

When you select Test Tone Start all your speakers and their levels will be displayed and a test tone will play. You will be able to set the volume (level) that you wish.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shifting center balance problem solved.
Oddly, it seemed tied to the measured distance from the FL speaker to the listening position.
First, I went into Test Tones, as you suggested and put both FL and FR to the same volume (0 db)
No change.
Then I noticed that the Audyssey setup had measured my FL speaker incorrectly, it was set at about a foot further away than it actually is. (By tape measure, both FL and FR are the same distance from the listening position.)
When I adjusted, the center image snapped back into place.

So now I am back to the raging argument that I am having with myself over Direct vs. Stereo!
At the moment, Direct is winning. In spite of all the truly effective changes that Audyssey and the Marantz can provide, there is something "magical" about the sound coming from my PSB T2 towers in Direct mode.

Thanks for your help!
post #5419 of 12309 Old 06-29-2016, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks.
Oddly, it seemed tied to the measured distance from the FL speaker to the listening position.
First, I went into Test Tones, as you suggested and put both FL and FR to the same volume (0 db)
No change.
Then I noticed that the Audyssey setup had measured my FL speaker incorrectly, it was set at about a foot further away than it actually is. (By tape measure, both FL and FR are the same distance from the listening position.)

So now I am back to the raging argument that I am having with myself over Direct vs. Stereo!
At the moment, Direct is winning. In spite of all the truly effective changes that Audyssey and the Marantz can provide, there is something "magical" about the sound coming from my PSB T2 towers in Direct mode.

Thanks for your help!
Hi,
As is often the case you have asked a question which has then led you to finding the answer by your own efforts.
Glad that you have solved the shifting soundstage issue but am afraid only you can decide which sound mode you prefer.
I have similar issues and put it down to having so much choice.
All the best in your quest for audio Nirvana .
post #5420 of 12309 Old 06-29-2016, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks.
No change.

Thanks for your help!
Hi (again),
Just a thought but if you run Audyssey again get the tape measure out and make sure that your position 1 for the mic is dead centre and equidistant from your front right and left. Then when all is done look at what Audyssey has set the distances to.
post #5421 of 12309 Old 06-29-2016, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
That symptom suggests that the signal going to your subwoofer is so low that the sub's auto-on feature isn't working. Turn down the gain knob on the subwoofer and re-run the Audyssey calibration. Usually having the subwoofer's gain knob at the 9 o'clock position is about right but sometimes lower is necessary. After the Audyssey calibration has finished, the subwoofer's trim level in the receiver should be approximately -3. If the subwoofer's gain knob was set too high before the Audyssey calibration, the receiver's trim level often will have pegged at -12, which is much too low for the subwoofer's auto-on to work.

Please take the time to look through the Audyssey 101/FAQ It answers the questions you've asked and many you haven't thought of yet. The instructions in the receiver's owner's manual are woefully inadequate.
Ok, cause manual said put voljme knob on sub to 12 oclock
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Easy enough to see if Audyssey is still active by simply pressing the INFO button on the remote.
post #5422 of 12309 Old 06-29-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Ok, cause manual said put voljme knob on sub to 12 oclock
True, however, as Selden indicates ..... in real life, a better setting is generally around 9 o'clock and in some cases as low as 7 o'clock. Regardless of where you set it, after Audyssey has completed, you want the sub volume level set somewhere between -4db to -8db, which most will then generally want to raise a few db closer to 0db using Manual Setup - Test Tones - Subwoofer. The closer to 0db, the stronger the signal the AVR sends out guaranteeing the sub will fire when left in AUTO mode.
post #5423 of 12309 Old 06-29-2016, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Is a way to change the volume increment from halves to wholes...... I want to be able to crank it up faster

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
post #5424 of 12309 Old 06-29-2016, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked: 329
I did the Audyssey calibration last week. I am not satisfied with the subwoofer results. It was calibrated on 75db. It seems that the lows were not as good as it is with Audyssey off. Also after calibration the sub was set to -6,5. How much can I boost it up?

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED B6
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
post #5425 of 12309 Old 06-29-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post
Is a way to change the volume increment from halves to wholes...... I want to be able to crank it up faster
No, although you simply need to hold the volume button down longer for it to move faster.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 06-29-2016 at 04:39 PM.
post #5426 of 12309 Old 06-29-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMWhizzle View Post
I did the Audyssey calibration last week. I am not satisfied with the subwoofer results. It was calibrated on 75db. It seems that the lows were not as good as it is with Audyssey off. Also after calibration the sub was set to -6,5. How much can I boost it up?
As much as you want ... but generally not higher than to +3.0db (or in your case that would be raising it a total of +9.5db from -6.5db to +3db).

Most generally raise it about 3-5db or simply closer to 0db.
post #5427 of 12309 Old 06-29-2016, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Thanks, will try it tommorow'

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED B6
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
post #5428 of 12309 Old 06-29-2016, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Great info! Thanks, im new with all this, got everything hooked up properly, now its software tweeking.
post #5429 of 12309 Old 06-29-2016, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
No, although you simply need to hold the volume button down longer for it to move faster.
thanks jd..... never really understood the half db increments.... just a very minor annoyance

Love the SR7010.
Just waiting on my new mains then I can really start playing around with it

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
post #5430 of 12309 Old 06-29-2016, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Just got some new ELAC speakers. When I run Audyssey it tells me that my left surround speaker is out of phase. Checked my speaker wire to the speaker and the to the terminals on my 7010 and confirmed it is wired correctly but Audyssey still says it is out of phase. What gives and should I ignore it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marantz 7010 AVR --->7.2.4, LG OLED65E6, Oppo UDP-203, Onkyo TX-750 (2nd amp), Elac UF5 Front, DCM CX-Center, Elac UB5 Surrounds Polk A4 (Back) Energy CB-20 x 4 (ceiling) Hsu VTF2-MK4 x 2 Subs, Harmony Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
7010 , av7702mkii , hdmi marantz nr1506 , Marantz , marantz 7702 256gb ssd , marantz sr5010 , no sound , nr1506 , NR1606 , SR5010 , sr6010 , sr7010 , subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page