*Official* Marantz 2015 NR-1506/1606, SR-5010/6010/7010 & AV7702mkII owner's thread - Page 329 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12643Likes

post #9841 of 12355 Old 08-26-2017, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have a 7702mkii and just upgraded form a 1080p plasma to the vizio p65 4k tv. I will get a 4k device later. For now, Most of my viewing is streaming non-4k Netflix, amazon, and plex on a fire tv. Occasional blurays on pioneer elite player.

What scaler settings should I change to? According to rtings.com, the vizio p series does better with 1080p and 4k sources.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9842 of 12355 Old 08-26-2017, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 759 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22932 Post(s)
Liked: 12548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
I have a 7702mkii and just upgraded form a 1080p plasma to the vizio p65 4k tv. I will get a 4k device later. For now, Most of my viewing is streaming non-4k Netflix, amazon, and plex on a fire tv. Occasional blurays on pioneer elite player.

What scaler settings should I change to? According to rtings.com, the vizio p series does better with 1080p and 4k sources.
i/p Scaler = OFF
post #9843 of 12355 Old 08-26-2017, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi i have a marantz nr1606 and i believe the the HDMI out port is damaged and needs to be replaced. After looking closely at it, it appears that one of the pins is bent or out of whack. I was going to take the case top cover off and take a closer look, but was curious if anybody had any experience replacing the HDMI port on this type of received or if there are any posts to discuss doing this. not sure if there is soldering required or not. any guidance would be appreciated. I've attached a photo of the port in question.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1540.JPG (543.5 KB, 49 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9844 of 12355 Old 08-26-2017, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Smart Select

I have read the manual many times, but I never been able to register a function with Smart Select using the av7702kii. Any pointers?

Thanks in advance.
post #9845 of 12355 Old 08-27-2017, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockerb View Post
Hi i have a marantz nr1606 and i believe the the HDMI out port is damaged and needs to be replaced. After looking closely at it, it appears that one of the pins is bent or out of whack. I was going to take the case top cover off and take a closer look, but was curious if anybody had any experience replacing the HDMI port on this type of received or if there are any posts to discuss doing this. not sure if there is soldering required or not. any guidance would be appreciated. I've attached a photo of the port in question.
The NR1606 is covered by a 3 year warranty if purchased new. Send in for warranty repair, otherwise, your own repair effort will nullify any further warranty work by Marantz.
post #9846 of 12355 Old 08-27-2017, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubPlate View Post
Smart Select

I have read the manual many times, but I never been able to register a function with Smart Select using the av7702kii. Any pointers?

Thanks in advance.
Fairly easy. First of all, as noted on the p. 159 of the Owner's manual, the SMART SELECT buttons factory default to specific sources already which you can change simply by manually selecting another source and then pressing/holding a SMART SELECT button for 4-5 seconds to memorize that new source to that specific SMART SELECT button.
DubPlate likes this.
post #9847 of 12355 Old 08-27-2017, 02:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinion View Post
Well looks like I'm doing a full reset after all. Network is out again. Ugh
Just finished a full reset, re-config, and saved a new .dat file with my current more updated settings. Hopefully the full reset fixes things. I didn't have any issues with the setup after. The last straw was went to turn it back on this evening and it wouldn't turn on again.

Pansonic TC-P60VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Arris MX011ANM (Xfinity X1) | Apple TV 4K
post #9848 of 12355 Old 08-27-2017, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Fairly easy. First of all, as noted on the p. 159 of the Owner's manual, the SMART SELECT buttons factory default to specific sources already which you can change simply by manually selecting another source and then pressing/holding a SMART SELECT button for 4-5 seconds to memorize that new source to that specific SMART SELECT button.

Hi J

I was trying to register the dynamic volume, pure direct functions. The manual indicates that this is possible, am I wrong?
post #9849 of 12355 Old 08-27-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubPlate View Post
Hi J

I was trying to register the dynamic volume, pure direct functions. The manual indicates that this is possible, am I wrong?
Both are possible as noted in the Smart Select settings image below:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	313
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	2273924  
post #9850 of 12355 Old 08-27-2017, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
marantz 7010, no Atmos channels firing.

Ok, i have a 5.2.2 setup with 2 height channels (high wall mounted, not ceiling bouncy) the Height channels all run fine when I am soloing them in Audyssey.... and do receiver based pink noise tests... they are labeled as height and match the graphics.

I am not however getting any height channels coming through the Dolby calibration files. I have tried almost every possible routing to see if something is down mixing them to 5.1. I Do see the "ATMOS" logo on my receiver saying it should be running, and have tried all of its mix modes.. so I don't think this is the result of having "all channel stereo" selected. What am I missing?

AVR- Marantz 7010 updated drivers.

try #1- Atmos test files run off of my TV usb drive player. It is a Samsung JU6400 4K UHD Smart TV Audio passed through HDMI, via bitstream PCM Line compression HD Audio. No Height channels

try #2- Macbook pro os 10.12.6 audio sent via HDMI.

try #3 - try to plug USB into Marantz. it won't play video files only audio

I have run blurays that have atmos- but they are too "busy" to calibrate and really see if Atmos is working correctly.

Any ideas? does every way I try to play it compress the bitstream to non ATMOS before sending it to the receiver? is it the HDMI?

thanks,
Save
post #9851 of 12355 Old 08-28-2017, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblenny View Post
Ok, i have a 5.2.2 setup with 2 height channels (high wall mounted, not ceiling bouncy) the Height channels all run fine when I am soloing them in Audyssey.... and do receiver based pink noise tests... they are labeled as height and match the graphics.

I am not however getting any height channels coming through the Dolby calibration files. I have tried almost every possible routing to see if something is down mixing them to 5.1. I Do see the "ATMOS" logo on my receiver saying it should be running, and have tried all of its mix modes.. so I don't think this is the result of having "all channel stereo" selected. What am I missing?

try #1- Atmos test files run off of my TV usb drive player. It is a Samsung JU6400 4K UHD Smart TV Audio passed through HDMI, via bitstream PCM Line compression HD Audio. No Height channels

I have run blurays that have atmos- but they are too "busy" to calibrate and really see if Atmos is working correctly.

Any ideas? does every way I try to play it compress the bitstream to non ATMOS before sending it to the receiver? is it the HDMI?

thanks,
Save

In order for the Atmos meta data to play from a Dolby TrueHD or DD+ audio track, the audio must be "bitstream" and not "PCM" which is likely what your TV is passing from the connected USB. A better test is to select an Atmos movie from the NETFLIX smart app on the TV as it should then pass the DD+(Atmos) audio track if your TV has that capability.

Also note that "bitstream" = compressed while "PCM" = uncompressed.
post #9852 of 12355 Old 08-28-2017, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Always helps to indicate which AVR you are using as there are 5 models discussed in this thread of which the SR7010 is the only one that can do an Atmos 7.1.4 setup.

In addition to a 2CH amp required for either the FL/FR or the Height 2 L/R speakers to expand the AVR main zone from 9CH --> 11CH, you would also need another 2CH amp for each of the Zone 2 and Zone 3 speakers connected to the Zone 2/3 pre-outs, so in other words, you would need 6 external amps for your use case.
JD - I have the 7010 with the following speaker setup. I may upgrade to atmos down the road but for now want to tweak my current setup per below:

Zone 1: 7.1 in HT
Zone 2: HDMI passthrough to TV in dif room adjacent to HT
Zone 3: I want this zone to run my house speakers; I'm using a speaker selector box (cheap I know haha) so all I need the Marantz to do is send a single, 2 channel amped signal for music listening across zone 3.

What config should I choose during setup of the 7010 and how to hookup zone 3 channels on back of Marantz?

Thanks so much in advance
post #9853 of 12355 Old 08-28-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddigler View Post
JD - I have the 7010 with the following speaker setup. I may upgrade to atmos down the road but for now want to tweak my current setup per below:

Zone 1: 7.1 in HT
Zone 2: HDMI passthrough to TV in dif room adjacent to HT
Zone 3: I want this zone to run my house speakers; I'm using a speaker selector box (cheap I know haha) so all I need the Marantz to do is send a single, 2 channel amped signal for music listening across zone 3.

What config should I choose during setup of the 7010 and how to hookup zone 3 channels on back of Marantz?

Thanks so much in advance
Zone 2 - Zone 2 HDMI monitor out to the Zone 2 TV

Zone 3 -
AMP ASSIGN = 7.1ch + Zone 3 (p. 78 Owner's manual)

Connect the speaker selector box to the Front Wide/Height 2 speaker posts.

*** Note the AVR may not provide sufficient power for the Zone 3 speakers so if that is the case you'll need to connect an external 2CH amp to the Zone 3 pre-outs and connect the speaker selector box to the external 2CH amp.
ddigler likes this.
post #9854 of 12355 Old 08-28-2017, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Zone 2 - Zone 2 HDMI monitor out to the Zone 2 TV

Zone 3 -
AMP ASSIGN = 7.1ch + Zone 3 (p. 78 Owner's manual)

Connect the speaker selector box to the Front Wide/Height 2 speaker posts.
Thanks for the help Smooth! Couple questions:

So there is a config option for each of the zones? Didn't realize that (I'll dig into the manual)
Won't the above setup mean the HT (zone 1) is always on (playing music) when I just want zone 3 playing music to house speakers?

Last edited by ddigler; 08-28-2017 at 09:17 AM.
post #9855 of 12355 Old 08-28-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the help Smooth! Couple questions:

So there is a config option for each of the zones? Didn't realize that (I'll dig into the manual)
Won't the above setup mean the HT (zone 1) is always on (playing music) when I just want zone 3 playing music to house speakers?
Nope. In order to pass audio to a Zone, that zone must be first powered ON, regardless of whether referring to Zone 1, 2, or 3. If you only want Zone 3 powered ON, you would only power on Zone 3.
post #9856 of 12355 Old 08-28-2017, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2851
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblenny View Post

I am not however getting any height channels coming through the Dolby calibration files. I have tried almost every possible routing to see if something is down mixing them to 5.1. I Do see the "ATMOS" logo on my receiver saying it should be running,
If the receiver says it's receiving Atmos, that implies that the audio is being bitstreamed and you certainly should be able to hear the overheads if the soundtrack you're listening to includes them. In that case, I really dunno what would be keeping your overhead speakers silent other than a glitch or defect in the receiver. My comments below are mostly generic.

You might try doing a full return-to-factory-settings reset (several in a row) and then do another receiver setup, using the Assistant and selecting the option which includes the maximum number of possible speakers, more than you actually have. During the tests it'll disable the ones it can't hear.

To double-check, if you press the Info button on the receiver's remote, while you're playing an Atmos soundtrack, the receiver's on-screen informational display should show the word Atmos in the left-hand (input soundtrack) channel display and the icons for all of your speaker channels should be lit up in the right-hand (output speaker) channel display.

Quote:
and have tried all of its mix modes.. so I don't think this is the result of having "all channel stereo" selected. What am I missing?
When the receiver is decoding an Atmos soundtrack, all of the speaker channels are in use although some of them might be silent, so selecting +Surround or +Neural:X won't actually do anything. Other options (like Stereo) should downmix the audio.

Quote:

As JD wrote, if the receiver reports that it's receiving PCM (multichannel) audio in its Info display, then it is not (and can not) receiving Atmos. In that case, you can check your overhead speakers by pressing one of the Music/Movie/Game buttons on the remote and scrolling down to an entry that says either +Surround or +Neural:X. Both of those settings upmix the incoming audio to use overhead speakers. How much activity they actually get depends on the soundtrack.
Quote:
Whether or not you can get Atmos by way of a computer depends on the media player software that you're using and its audio settings.

Quote:
Although this won't help fix your problem...
In many cases if you ignore the receiver's warning, you can still play a video file and hear its audio although the receiver can't decode and display the video.
Quote:

In general, the most reliable way to get Atmos audio with video is to play a disc, USB or DLNA signal through a Blu-ray disc player. Some models of TV can now forward Dolby Digital Plus soundtracks from some streaming services, though.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #9857 of 12355 Old 08-28-2017, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Selden. Let me do some digging in the next couple of days. This is quite helpful at seeing the problem from other angles!
post #9858 of 12355 Old 08-29-2017, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nope. In order to pass audio to a Zone, that zone must be first powered ON, regardless of whether referring to Zone 1, 2, or 3. If you only want Zone 3 powered ON, you would only power on Zone 3.
Won't be the last silly question I ask haha Thx Smooth.

OK AMP ASSIGN = 7.1ch + Zone 3 got it. I'll give it a go!
post #9859 of 12355 Old 08-29-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Won't be the last silly question I ask haha Thx Smooth.

OK AMP ASSIGN = 7.1ch + Zone 3 got it. I'll give it a go!

I'd rather ask a silly question and get the answer rather than going years using a configuration that could have been easily resolved had I asked the silly question.
post #9860 of 12355 Old 08-29-2017, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked: 1382
Quote:
I'd rather ask a silly question and get the answer rather than going years using a configuration that could have been easily resolved had I asked the silly question.
Tombstone material.
ddigler and mrtickleuk like this.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon FTV Stick 4K, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
post #9861 of 12355 Old 08-31-2017, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Has anyone ever experienced crossover distortion? My 5010 distorts anything which should be coming from other speakers when going to the subwoofer. I can hear weird harmonics coming from the sub, but if I drive just the sub channel, it sounds perfectly fine.

The power output is also significantly curtailed for the subwoofer when used with other speakers. Basically anything that is coming from other speakers is about -20dB down from the straight subwoofer output.

Scot Kight

"Don't touch that, this isn't your house and that isn't your tv!" she says.

"But look at it, the contrast is completely blown out, the color is all off and that tint. This will only take a sec..."
post #9862 of 12355 Old 08-31-2017, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Kight View Post
Has anyone ever experienced crossover distortion?
Before calibration, I could notice a bit of discontinuity in a falling sweep tone (ie, a slow drop from 200 Hz to 20 Hz over 30 seconds or so) around the 60 or 80 Hz crossover point. After running Audyssey and tweaking a little, I can't readily identify the crossover point by ear.

Quote:
My 5010 distorts anything which should be coming from other speakers when going to the subwoofer. I can hear weird harmonics coming from the sub, but if I drive just the sub channel, it sounds perfectly fine.

The power output is also significantly curtailed for the subwoofer when used with other speakers. Basically anything that is coming from other speakers is about -20dB down from the straight subwoofer output.
Running the calibration should adjust the relative volume levels for all channels, at the least.

You also haven't said anything about your sub or speakers, what the xover settings are, what the channel trims are, etc.

Primary (2.1): Thiel CS 1.2 / Velodyne F1000 sub / Adcom GFA-555 Mk2 / Rotel 970BX / Sony CDP-CA9 ES
Secondary (5.1): Paradigm Mini-Monitor v.3 / CC270 v.3 center / ADP-170 v.2 surrounds /
SVS SB1000 sub / Marantz SR-6010 / AppleTV + Win7 PC / BenQ BL3200PT
post #9863 of 12355 Old 08-31-2017, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cswiger View Post
You also haven't said anything about your sub or speakers, what the xover settings are, what the channel trims are, etc.
Understood, because it isn't important to the discussion really, though I understand why it may seem to be important.

In my case the sound level is 20db higher when going straight to the sub vs any output that goes out via the crossover. There is no level setting option to adjust crossed over output vs just the sub anywhere in the system. All settings subwoofer general settings are either turned off or at 0dB.

The distortion is extensive, very apparent and appears any time the crossovers are used and only in the subwoofer channel at all crossover points (tried everything 40-200) during all output of the sub and not just at crossover. Doing an REW sweep from 20-2000hz will result in a weird buzz in the subwoofer for all channels affected by the crossover from 20-200 hz, or whatever I set max to be. When I output directly to the LFE channel, there is no buzzing and it seems to be ~ 20db higher output. Doesn't matter which device I have as the sub.

Scot Kight

"Don't touch that, this isn't your house and that isn't your tv!" she says.

"But look at it, the contrast is completely blown out, the color is all off and that tint. This will only take a sec..."

Last edited by Scot Kight; 08-31-2017 at 03:28 PM.
post #9864 of 12355 Old 08-31-2017, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Kight View Post
Understood, because it isn't important to the discussion really, though I understand why it may seem to be important.

In my case the sound level is 20db higher when going straight to the sub vs any output that goes out via the crossover. There is no level setting option to adjust crossed over output vs just the sub anywhere in the system. All settings subwoofer general settings are either turned off or at 0dB.
It's normal for the LFE channel to play 10 dB louder than the bass coming from a main channel:

http://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_...pril-2000.html

For consumers, we want things to be simple. Up until recently, only serious enthusiasts would use an SPL meter to set the levels of their home theater equipment, let alone ask everyone to remember to set the LFE channel differently. For this reason, home Dolby Digital equipment is pre-set to play LFE data 10 dB higher than a main channel (or 10dB higher than the bass from a main channel). It is only necessary to set the subwoofer relative to a main channel and the LFE level will be correct. Very few processors allow direct manipulation of the LFE level. That is why the menus on most receivers say "Subwoofer Level" rather than "LFE Level".

Quote:
The distortion is extensive, very apparent and appears any time the crossovers are used and only in the subwoofer channel at all crossover points (tried everything 40-200) during all output of the sub and not just at crossover. Doing an REW sweep from 20-2000hz will result in a weird buzz in the subwoofer for all channels affected by the crossover from 20-200 hz, or whatever I set max to be. When I output directly to the LFE channel, there is no buzzing and it seems to be ~ 20db higher output. Doesn't matter which device I have as the sub.
This isn't normal, however. Consider making a recording and see whether someone can diagnose further....
mrtickleuk likes this.

Primary (2.1): Thiel CS 1.2 / Velodyne F1000 sub / Adcom GFA-555 Mk2 / Rotel 970BX / Sony CDP-CA9 ES
Secondary (5.1): Paradigm Mini-Monitor v.3 / CC270 v.3 center / ADP-170 v.2 surrounds /
SVS SB1000 sub / Marantz SR-6010 / AppleTV + Win7 PC / BenQ BL3200PT
post #9865 of 12355 Old 08-31-2017, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Can SR 6010 up mix any type of incoming input into Dolby ATOMS just like it does into DTS:X ? I have SR 6010 with 5.1.4 set up with 4 ceiling speakers. I wondering if the receiver has capability to up mix PCM or 5.1 or 7.1 into Dolby ATOMS. Also with ceiling speakers is Dolby ATOMS better or DTS:X ?
post #9866 of 12355 Old 08-31-2017, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 4752 Post(s)
Liked: 2783
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKR25 View Post
Can SR 6010 up mix any type of incoming input into Dolby ATMOS just like it does into DTS:X ? I have SR 6010 with 5.1.4 set up with 4 ceiling speakers. I wondering if the receiver has capability to up mix PCM or 5.1 or 7.1 into Dolby ATMOS. Also with ceiling speakers is Dolby ATMOS better or DTS:X ?
You cannot change something channel based (mono, stereo, 5.1, or 7.1) into an immersive format. You can, however, upmix certain audio cues to the height speakers using Dolby Surround or DTS Neural: X. As long as your unit has its firmware updated, you can use either upmixer on any content except actual Dolby Atmos or DTS: X tracks.
nathan_h likes this.

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 08-31-2017 at 07:37 PM.
post #9867 of 12355 Old 08-31-2017, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dolby Vision/HLG update for Marantz NR-1606

I saw in an earlier post by JD Smooth back towards the end of July that he said his Marantz rep confirmed that they will be updating the 2015 AVRs like the NR-1606 with the upcoming DV/HLG pass-thru software update. I am not implying I doubt this information but I have not seen Marantz make any updated/formal announcement. I would assume they would want to publicize this as it is a great customer service-centric message on how they are "future-proofing" more of their AVR line than their competitors are doing.

Are the comments of a Marantz rep without either officially posting on their website or AV blogs or making a formal announcement proof enough that this will indeed happen? I have no personal experience with Marantz and no insights into JD Smooth's relationship with them but I just wanted to pose the question.
post #9868 of 12355 Old 09-01-2017, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKR25 View Post
Can SR 6010 up mix any type of incoming input into Dolby ATOMS just like it does into DTS:X ? I have SR 6010 with 5.1.4 set up with 4 ceiling speakers. I wondering if the receiver has capability to up mix PCM or 5.1 or 7.1 into Dolby ATOMS. Also with ceiling speakers is Dolby ATOMS better or DTS:X ?
As Dan indicated, you're not converting, rather simply "simulating" audio to the height speakers which can be done with PCM 5.1/7.1 audio using either the Dolby Surround or DTS Neural:X upmixers as noted on p. 192 of your Owner's manual.
post #9869 of 12355 Old 09-01-2017, 02:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 94
SR7010 HDMI board Heatsink Mod/Upgrade

I recently bought a second SR7010 that had a bad video board and replaced it. Thanks to Sandy in Marantz parts!

While doing so I decided to do some extra work and added heatsinks to most of the chips including the DSPs on this unit and my other SR7010.

Heatsinks added to the newly replaced HDMI board for some cheap piece of mind:
Name:  20170820_231403 (Large).jpg
Views: 349
Size:  472.6 KB

The heatsinks are available from Amazon, Ebay, etc:

5: 22x22x10mm (Gagdeter, with upgraded 3m tape)
5: 20x20x10mm (uxcell, but they didn't have tape)
2: 14x14x7mm (Various Rasberry Pi Kit suppliers)
2: 8.8x8.8x5mm (Various Rasberry Pi Kit suppliers)

HDMI boards could vary so be sure to check that everything fits on yours if you do this.

6 of the chips could fit the 22mm heatsinks but I bought them in packs of 5 so I just used a 20mm heatsink on the 6th (upper left) chip.
I recommend buying them with good quality tape just to avoid any possibility of the heatsink moving and shorting something out. Most of the chips won't really benefit much but it was fun to do anyway as a hobby.

The Raspberry Pi Kit also came with both the 8.8x8.8x5 and 14x14x7mm heatsinks. I bought a roll of quality heatsink tape but you can also buy precut pads for the 20x20x10 kits or just buy a 14x14x7 kit with 10 chips and use the tape pads from it. The smallest 8.8mm heatsinks are probably not really useful anyway.

I am not sure if this was really the reason that the original board went out but I already had it apart and it can't hurt!

Do this modification at your own risk... Be very careful to use the correct sized heatsink and make sure that it can't slip, move, or touch any chip leads.

-Rich
mrtickleuk likes this.

Quad Marantz AVR 9.2.(4+2) Atmos/DTS:X using Dual sr7010's + Dual scAtmos nr1403's
Marantz MM8003 150W/ch Amplifier Driving (L/C/R/SL/SR/SBL/SBR)
HTD Speakers L3 Tower L/R, L3 Center, Dual 12" L3 Subs, L2 Tower SL/SR, L2 Bkshlf SBL/SBR, Flat Panel WL/WR, Angled 6.5" In Ceiling FH/RH, 8" In Ceiling TM
Epson 5040UB Faux-K/3D with 106" Multi-Format Screen.

Last edited by rfb6435; 09-01-2017 at 02:52 AM.
post #9870 of 12355 Old 09-01-2017, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1733 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Very interesting tweak..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
7010 , av7702mkii , hdmi marantz nr1506 , Marantz , marantz 7702 256gb ssd , marantz sr5010 , no sound , nr1506 , NR1606 , SR5010 , sr6010 , sr7010 , subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page