*Official* Marantz 2015 NR-1506/1606, SR-5010/6010/7010 & AV7702mkII owner's thread - Page 405 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12614Likes

post #12121 of 12181 Old 06-09-2019, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
I can try to give this a try in the next couple days. But I am not sure what I am looking for.

Can I tell from the front panel, or the remote control app, or do need to have specific speaker configurations?

Not sure what happens if you don't have any height speakers configured, but assuming you do, play a Dolby track and press say, the blue Movie Sound Mode button and see if it lets you select for example Dolby D + Neu:X, which will then appear on the display.

Noah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12122 of 12181 Old 06-10-2019, 11:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Saw comments earlier in a thread about the 7010 having HD radio and recalled I had a long unused FM antenna in my attic. I was still pulling a few wires after my ceiling speaker install so pulled one to hook up the antenna. Got to say I was disappointed. Did an Auto scan and got 60 some stations and only 2 were HD. Neither of which sounded any better than a typical FM station. I rarely listen to the radio but had heard that HD radio was supposed to be so much better, you could fool me...
post #12123 of 12181 Old 06-11-2019, 12:05 AM

fyi

"“HD Radio” is the brand name for the digital radio broadcast technology developed by iBiquity Digital Corporation. The “HD” in “HD Radio” does not stand for “high definition” or “hybrid digital.”"

And the sound isn't HD, either.

Years ago I bought an HD tuner assuming it was and promptly returned it; it sounded almost as bad as AM (a low-bandwidth broadcast method of days gone by).
nathan_h, codyrocco and mrtickleuk like this.

Noah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12124 of 12181 Old 06-11-2019, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4463 Post(s)
Liked: 2514
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
fyi

"“HD Radio” is the brand name for the digital radio broadcast technology developed by iBiquity Digital Corporation. The “HD” in “HD Radio” does not stand for “high definition” or “hybrid digital.”"

And the sound isn't HD, either.

Years ago I bought an HD tuner assuming it was and promptly returned it; it sounded almost as bad as AM (a low-bandwidth broadcast method of days gone by).

It's just a way for them to squeeze more sub channels into the frequency band stations are assigned. The sound quality is terrible.
nathan_h likes this.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #12125 of 12181 Old 06-11-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 534
I vaguely recall talk early on how HD radio was "supposed" to be close to CD quality. That was of the pluses if I recall. Streaming music has long been better quality in many cases that OTA radio, and I've been using streaming content for 15+ years. Early streams were bit starved but now not so much.

I have been occasionally exploring the thousands of online music stations the 7010 offers, it's overwhelming. The computer interface is helpful but still a challenge. Most of my streaming is from Pandora and Amazon music at this point.
post #12126 of 12181 Old 06-11-2019, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbimmer View Post
Spotify Connect used to fail on my SR5010 about every 2 or 3 weeks, even though it was still connected to my WIFI network. To fix it, I would do a soft reset (unplug the 5010). It's possible that one of the other reset methods (see post#4) might provide a longer lasting fix. My solution was to connect the SR51010 to my router via Ethernet instead of WIFI, and it hasn't failed since.

I've only used ethernet since I purchased it a few years ago. I think the spotify app in the Marantz is no loner supported. Why I came to this conclusion because when I look at the newer models on the website Spotify is no longer mentioned on the information. It only states that you can stream your favorite services via airplay or Bluetooth. In the past they used to mention that the AVR has built in spotify and even had the logo on the site.
post #12127 of 12181 Old 06-12-2019, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, I have a AV7702mkii and I finally was able to add a pair of rear height speakers so now I'm 5.1.2.

My questions are: Is there a way to have the rear height speakers active while watching content other than Dolby Atmos? There is still a rather limited offering of Atmos content to stream. Can the pre-amp be set to 'mix-in' those speakers even if specific content does not exist for them? Is that where the Auro 3D comes into play?

Thanks
post #12128 of 12181 Old 06-12-2019, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by brassman623 View Post
Hello, I have a AV7702mkii and I finally was able to add a pair of rear height speakers so now I'm 5.1.2.

My questions are: Is there a way to have the rear height speakers active while watching content other than Dolby Atmos? There is still a rather limited offering of Atmos content to stream. Can the pre-amp be set to 'mix-in' those speakers even if specific content does not exist for them? Is that where the Auro 3D comes into play?

Thanks
engage either DSU or DTS Neural X upmixers and your good to go.
nathan_h and brassman623 like this.

TCL-65R615, 55P605 DV/HDR10 & 49S405 HDR10, Philips BDP7501, BPD7502 UHD Players
Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93, Marantz AV7702MKII, NR1607. Xbox One S
Emotiva XPA5,UPA2, UPA200 & Mini X Amps
Speakers, Polk SDA-2, Monitor 10A & 5A, Axiom M80,
VP180, QS8, M2, QS4, ATMOS 7.1.4 & 5.1.2 NYGiants!
post #12129 of 12181 Old 06-12-2019, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout190 View Post
I've only used ethernet since I purchased it a few years ago. I think the spotify app in the Marantz is no loner supported. Why I came to this conclusion because when I look at the newer models on the website Spotify is no longer mentioned on the information. It only states that you can stream your favorite services via airplay or Bluetooth. In the past they used to mention that the AVR has built in spotify and even had the logo on the site.
It still works on my US model SR5010 that has the latest firmware. Could be that the Canadian model is different? Have you tried all the different Reset methods?

post #12130 of 12181 Old 06-12-2019, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 701 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22008 Post(s)
Liked: 11935
Quote:

Thanks
Either the Dolby Surround upmixer or the DTS Neural:X simulators can be used with non-Atmos/DTS:X audio.

However, the Auro 3D simulator (Auromatic) would not simulate audio to the Rear Height speakers as Front Height would also be required. The Auro 2D simulator would simulate audio to floor speakers only.
brassman623 likes this.
post #12131 of 12181 Old 06-12-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:

Thanks
I'll add a comment about the lack of immersive streaming content.

You REALLY need to get yourself a UHD Blu-ray player. There are hundreds of Dolby Atmos; and DTS: X titles; on Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray... 99.9% are lossless encoded (except for two lossy DTS: X Fast & Furious disc titles; from Universal).

Some studios exclusively release immersive audio tracks; on UHD Blu-ray. And those discs aren't as expensive as you might think and often times go on sale.
brassman623 likes this.

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 06-12-2019 at 09:11 AM.
post #12132 of 12181 Old 06-12-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
I'll add a comment about the lack of immersive streaming content.

You REALLY need to get yourself a UHD Blu-ray disc player. There are hundreds of Dolby Atmos and DTS: X titles on Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray... 99.9% lossless encoded (except for two lossy DTS: X Fast & Furious disc titles from Universal).

Some studios exclusively release immersive audio tracks on UHD Blu-ray. And those discs aren't as expensive as you might think and often times go on sale.
Curious whether you see your post as nothing wrong or do you see all the "&#115" that replace every "s"?
Keith AP likes this.
post #12133 of 12181 Old 06-12-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Curious whether you see your post as nothing wrong or do you see all the "&#115" that replace every "s"?

I think it's a random glitchy interaction with the forum software because this has happened randomly on my Android phone using Chrome as well as my iPad on the Safari browser.

post #12134 of 12181 Old 06-12-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
I think it's a random glitchy interaction with the forum software because this has happened randomly on my Android phone using Chrome as well as my iPad on the Safari browser.
Indeed. Now see .. this last post came through just fine.
post #12135 of 12181 Old 06-12-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Indeed. Now see .. this last post came through just fine.

This was on my desktop using Firefox.

post #12136 of 12181 Old 06-12-2019, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
It still works on my US model SR5010 that has the latest firmware. Could be that the Canadian model is different? Have you tried all the different Reset methods?

I contacted Marantz and this is the reply I got:

"Thank you for contacting Sound United Support, we value you as a customer and appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance!
My name is Jim I am a Tier 2 Technical Support Lead for Denon and Marantz. I understand you want to know about Spotify and your SR5010.

Spotify is an app that was in all of our receivers up until the last couple years. Spotify decided that they did not want the app to work inside our units anymore. So they changed the way it worked so that people could no longer log in to Spotify on any of our units. We got lots and lots of calls and emails with people complaining about this and there was nothing we could do to correct it. So our software engineers had to write a firmware update to remove the app entirely.

Now due to the changes Spotify insisted on making, Spotify will only work through either bluetooth or Airplay via another device streaming to the receiver.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us again.

Thank you for contacting Sound United Customer Support. Have a great day!"

So looks like it's Spotify that pulled the plug.
post #12137 of 12181 Old 06-12-2019, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout190 View Post
I contacted Marantz and this is the reply I got:
"..Spotify decided that they did not want the app to work inside our units anymore..So our software engineers had to write a firmware update to remove the app entirely.!"
So looks like it's Spotify that pulled the plug.
Well that stinks! Having Spotify Connect was high on my list of features when I bought the SR5010. Maybe mine hasn't picked up the latest firmware yet. I will definitely not update it and maybe block the update site on my router.

EDIT2: Placed the blame where it belongs:
In my opinion, Spotify should have come up with a solution that didn't impact their customers and business partners!

EDIT: I did some searches in the Spotify boards and there was some references to SR5008 and older units getting firmware updates to fix Spotify, but nothing about the SR5010 or later models losing this feature. ?

Last edited by jdbimmer; 06-13-2019 at 08:02 AM.
post #12138 of 12181 Old 06-13-2019, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Well that stinks! Having Spotify Connect was high on my list of features when I bought the SR5010. Maybe mine hasn't picked up the latest firmware yet. I will definitely not update it and maybe block the update site on my router.

In my opinion, Sound United/Marantz/Denon should have found some other resolution with Spotify that didn't impact their customers or included Google Cast in the firmware (if at all possible) to replace it. I mean we kind of paid for this feature, and they are taking it away. That's just wrong!

EDIT: I did some searches in the Spotify boards and there was some references to SR5008 and older units getting firmware updates to fix Spotify, but nothing about the SR5010 or later models losing this feature. ?
All older (ie. non-HEOS) models received a firmware update to remove the on board Spotify.

Note also that blaming SU/Marantz/Denon is like blaming your travel agent whom you booked airline tickets through because the airline decided to cancel the flight.
solarrdadd and mrtickleuk like this.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 06-13-2019 at 01:30 AM.
post #12139 of 12181 Old 06-13-2019, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Marantz SR-6010 Crashing

Hi everyone,

First time poster but long time reader.

I've been having the following issue recently. When playing 4K files with TrueHD/Atmos 7.1 audio, my Marantz receiver shuts itself off (red light flashes) after a few mins of play time if the volume is above a certain level (I haven't fully tested it but it usually occurs around -40db.)

My setup is as follows:

• Plex Media Server on QNAP TS-451+ NAS, ethernet wired
  • NVIDIA Shield Android Box connect to Marantz receiver via HDMI
  • Polk Audio RM series speakers with 7.1 configuration
  • Samsung JS8500 65" UHD TV connected to Marantz (via the OneConnect hub) with HDMI

I'd like to note that this only appears to happen when playing these types of files on Plex Home Theater. Music files on same platform (mp3s at 320kbps) can be cranked at high volume with no problem. Same goes for Netflix, Amazon Video, etc.

I've checked for loose speaker wires but everything appears to be ok. I am at a loss.

Can anyone suggest what could possibly be the problem?

Thanks in advance!
post #12140 of 12181 Old 06-13-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
All older (ie. non-HEOS) models received a firmware update to remove the on board Spotify.

Note also that blaming SU/Marantz/Denon is like blaming your travel agent whom you booked airline tickets through because the airline decided to cancel the flight.
In that case, my travel agent would find another flight or give me the cash value of the ticket in compensation. Analogies aside, I do see that this is really Spotify driven, so I will recant my rant on SU/Mz/Dn.

However, I think there is some conflation of issues here which has confused me. And I thought the original question was in regard to Spotify Connect not working, not the Spotify App. I believe these are 2 different things.

Please correct me if any of this is wrong.

1) The Spotify App has been removed through a firmware update. This was a built-in app on the SRx010 that did not require using a remote control device (other than the AVR remote). I never used it or had any interest in it.

2) Spotify Connect still works over Wifi. When used with a remote control device (e.g., Android phone/tablet) music is streamed directly from Spotify to the AVR. In other words, the audio stream is not being streamed from Spotify to Android/iPhone and then streamed to the AVR.

3) Until recently, Spotify Connect required a Spotify Premium subscription to work. I do have premium and its still works on the latest firmware (I disabled bluetooth just to make sure).

4) Spotify recently opened up Spotify Connect to non-premium accounts. However, this requires a firmware update on the AVR that supports a new Spotify Connect SDK. I do not know if the SRx010 has that update. If not, non-premium accounts will not be able to use Spotify Connect.

Bottom line, the Spotify App is gone. Spotify Connect still works for Premium subscribers. I am unsure if it works for non-premium users.
TrueDis likes this.

post #12141 of 12181 Old 06-13-2019, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely View Post
So if I want to upgrade my 7010 to a newer AVR (and still stay within D/M) and retain wide fronts, only the 8500 is available, But after looking at the 8500's manual it seems that DTS Neural X (being the only upmixer which works with a wide front) can't be driven by a Dolby input. Am I correct on this? If that's the case then I'm back to my earlier proposal of using a new Denon AVR and zone2ing it to my Marantz 7010 with the 7010 connected only to my wide front speakers and using the DSX mode.
It looks like zone2ing it won't work. I did an experiment using my wife's 3400 using its zone2 pre-out to another device.
It would only output a signal via zone2 pre-out if the HDMI setting (under Zone2 setup) was set to PCM, and by doing so it forced 2-channel on the main section of the 3400 regardless of the input feed. (Must be due to the limited number of D/A converters?) Also, it doesn't seem that there is a setting allowing for a master volume control controlling the main and zone2 simultaneously.
post #12142 of 12181 Old 06-13-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
It looks like zone2ing it won't work. I did an experiment using my wife's 3400 using its zone2 pre-out to another device.
It would only output a signal via zone2 pre-out if the HDMI setting (under Zone2 setup) was set to PCM, and by doing so it forced 2-channel on the main section of the 3400 regardless of the input feed. (Must be due to the limited number of D/A converters?) Also, it doesn't seem that there is a setting allowing for a master volume control controlling the main and zone2 simultaneously.
You would want to use the Zone 2 monitor out on the X3400H to the SR7010.
post #12143 of 12181 Old 06-13-2019, 04:26 PM

So, anyone know if cross-upmixing still works on 7702mkII w/the new f/w update?

Noah
post #12144 of 12181 Old 06-13-2019, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You would want to use the Zone 2 monitor out on the X3400H to the SR7010.
Thanks. I'll try it tomorrow with a device that has an HDMI input. Is there a solution to the "Master Volume Control" issue? Without a master volume this project is not viable.
post #12145 of 12181 Old 06-13-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I'll try it tomorrow with a device that has an HDMI input. Is there a solution to the "Master Volume Control" issue? Without a master volume this project is not viable.
There is no master volume control.
post #12146 of 12181 Old 06-14-2019, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There is no master volume control.
Well, that kills that project. Thanks anyway.
post #12147 of 12181 Old 06-14-2019, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I have a question about using the "video select" feature on my 7010. I do workout classes on my Apple TV that don't have music and I want to play music mixed together with the teacher's instructions. While I realize this isn't possible to do on the receiver, I thought I could sort of hack it by playing music on the receiver, then using video select to choose the Apple TV input, and then playing the ATV audio through my TV, but it seems that the HDMI stream the receiver passes to the TV in this case contains video-only, not audio. Is there any way to get it to pass the full stream?

LG OLED65B6P
Marantz SR7010 driving 5.1.4
Klipsch RP-280FA Atmos Towers (Front) | RP-250C (Center) | R-115SW (Sub)
Pioneer SP-EFS73 Atmos Towers (Rear)
post #12148 of 12181 Old 06-14-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDis View Post
I have a question about using the "video select" feature on my 7010. I do workout classes on my Apple TV that don't have music and I want to play music mixed together with the teacher's instructions. While I realize this isn't possible to do on the receiver, I thought I could sort of hack it by playing music on the receiver, then using video select to choose the Apple TV input, and then playing the ATV audio through my TV, but it seems that the HDMI stream the receiver passes to the TV in this case contains video-only, not audio. Is there any way to get it to pass the full stream?
You would have to set <HDMI Audio Out> to "TV" to pass both video+audio to the TV.
post #12149 of 12181 Old 06-14-2019, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
You would have to set <HDMI Audio Out> to "TV" to pass both video+audio to the TV.
Hm, I did find that setting and try changing it to TV, but it didn't seem to affect the "video select" output. Does it work for you?

LG OLED65B6P
Marantz SR7010 driving 5.1.4
Klipsch RP-280FA Atmos Towers (Front) | RP-250C (Center) | R-115SW (Sub)
Pioneer SP-EFS73 Atmos Towers (Rear)
post #12150 of 12181 Old 06-14-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDis View Post
Hm, I did find that setting and try changing it to TV, but it didn't seem to affect the "video select" output. Does it work for you?
No, rather simply letting you know what setting is required to pass HDMI source audio to the TV. Your use case may not work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
7010 , av7702mkii , hdmi marantz nr1506 , Marantz , marantz 7702 256gb ssd , marantz sr5010 , no sound , nr1506 , NR1606 , SR5010 , sr6010 , sr7010 , subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page