Passive Amplifier wihtout volume control - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-14-2015, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Passive Amplifier wihtout volume control

Hello all,

I was wondering if there is even such product? I don't need a volume control, in fact i would think having one would hurt the sound quality(my guess), but a switch box that allows me to switch between inputs.

Dac> passive amp> multiple outputs

I have multiple headphone amplifers that I like to switch from time to time, so having a device like this would definitely save me a lot of hassle while I'm switching the cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-15-2015, 06:09 AM
FMW
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1654 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
Volume controls don't affect sound quality.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-15-2015, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post
Volume controls don't affect sound quality.
Disagree. I tried two pre-amps of different brands and they sounded different (same power amplifiers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-15-2015, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler28nm View Post
Hello all,

I was wondering if there is even such product? I don't need a volume control, in fact i would think having one would hurt the sound quality(my guess), but a switch box that allows me to switch between inputs.

Dac> passive amp> multiple outputs

I have multiple headphone amplifers that I like to switch from time to time, so having a device like this would definitely save me a lot of hassle while I'm switching the cables.
It sounds like what you need is an RCA audio splitter/distribution amp. Depending on how many inputs/outputs you need and how picky you are about any changes in signal level, these could range anywhere from a few bucks to over $1,000. Here's a thread from head-fi.org that discusses the topic, giving both points of view. More importantly, there are a lot of options given for which you can look up reviews in order to help find the right solution for you...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596369/best...tter-to-use/30

My personal advice is to at least try out a couple of cheap y-splitters before spending a lot. First, listen without the splitters, I.e. DAC-->headphone amp. Second, listen with the splitters connected between the DAC and either headphone amp, but without connecting the other headphone amp. Third, listen with both headphone amps connected to the splitters. If you don't notice any difference in sound quality in any of the three setups then that solution should work for you. If you do then you may want to try a splitter box with an internal switch, which may help as it eliminates the unused amp from the signal path.

Last edited by HockeyoAJB; 06-15-2015 at 07:27 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-15-2015, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3311 Post(s)
Liked: 3421
A pre-amp is more than a volume control.

I do not know what a "passive amplifier" is. Many amplifiers do not have gain controls, consumer and pro. Many possibilities. For multi-channel, either get a distribution amplifier or simply use Y-connectors to tie several amplifier inputs (not preamp outputs) together. You could add a basic passive control such as the one from Emotiva or simple control from any of the parts stores, or build your own.

There are switch boxes available to switch among inputs, again from parts or specialty audio places. Or you can build your own. One caution is that switching glitches may occur for various reasons (typically differences in output stage designs and coupling capacitor states) and those can range from nothing to minor pops to speaker-eating thuds. Whenever I built a line-level switched I included high-value (20k ~ 50k) resistors loading each input to minimize switching glitches.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #6 of 6 Old 06-15-2015, 09:36 AM
FMW
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1654 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
Disagree. I tried two pre-amps of different brands and they sounded different (same power amplifiers)
And you determined that the cause of the audible difference was due to volume controls in what way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page