Onkyo TX RZ800 & RZ900 - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 220Likes

post #991 of 1177 Old 08-14-2017, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi,

I noticed that for LPCM sources the 'Direct' listening mode will not produce any LFE. When I use my PC and PS4pro which outputs LPCM 7.1 my subwoofer will stay on standby. I need to use 'multichannel' listening mode to make the bass comes out of the subwoofer.

Can anyone help shed some light on this? I prefer to listen to the audio as it was produce/encoded (direct mode). Initially I thought the games were not using the .1 channel but low bass does rightfully comes out of the subwoofer in multichannel listening mode.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1177 Old 08-14-2017, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Wasnt sure if i should make a new thread or post in this one. Was a toss-up. Will start with this.

I'm trying to direct play some media via roku plex client to my rz900 via hdmi. The problem im running into is the receiver seems to misidentify Dolby Digital tracks as Dolby Digital+

Ive viewed the files in mediainfo and theyre standard 16bit 640k ac3 yet every single one i play tosses my receiver into Dolby Digital+

Ive checked the plex webapp and theres no transcoding going on. files are being directly played.

Only scenario I can think of is that the receiver while supporting Dolby Digital has no display/identifier for it therefore Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus tracks both show as Dolby Digital Plus.

Does this sound about right? Ive wasted an entire day on this /grumble
post #993 of 1177 Old 08-14-2017, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by klepp0906 View Post
Wasnt sure if i should make a new thread or post in this one. Was a toss-up. Will start with this.

I'm trying to direct play some media via roku plex client to my rz900 via hdmi. The problem im running into is the receiver seems to misidentify Dolby Digital tracks as Dolby Digital+

Ive viewed the files in mediainfo and theyre standard 16bit 640k ac3 yet every single one i play tosses my receiver into Dolby Digital+

Ive checked the plex webapp and theres no transcoding going on. files are being directly played.

Only scenario I can think of is that the receiver while supporting Dolby Digital has no display/identifier for it therefore Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus tracks both show as Dolby Digital Plus.

Does this sound about right? Ive wasted an entire day on this /grumble
plex via smart tv app and I see only whatever the movie actually is.

could it be the roku doing it?

Not sure if it's a big deal though. dd+ should be ok.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #994 of 1177 Old 08-14-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp787 View Post
plex via smart tv app and I see only whatever the movie actually is.

could it be the roku doing it?

Not sure if it's a big deal though. dd+ should be ok.
yea i mean.. its not a big deal. Its partially aesthetic and partially trying to figure out what/where the disconnect is.

Why is it seeing it as DD+?

So youve compared two seperate files? one DD and one DD+ and the DD comes up as DD without the +?

I know it will show DTS fine. It will show Dolby surround, mono, stereo...

However I have not found a way to discern between DD and DD+ as of yet.

I will try the plex smart tv client though for ****s, its been awhile but i guess u never know lol.
post #995 of 1177 Old 08-14-2017, 06:41 PM

Well, sure as **** you were right.

more questions than answers now though..

So my smart tv plex client shows DD and not DD+

I know it doesnt support DTS and converts all DTS to DD which it displays as DD.

The roku clients conversion from DTS >5.1 converts to DD+ (or thats what it displays as.

I guess im now curious as to whether this is a plex roku client issue, or roku issue. Or by design even.

The auto select in roku says DD+/DTS but I dont know that it would mention DD seperately considering if it supports DD+ its backwards compatible.

Hrm......

edit: just realized the smartTV doesnt suport DD+ anyways which would normally speak to a transcode I guess but checking with plex its not transcoding the audio so it is def plain jane DD (which I knew)

The question now becomes how to troubleshoot further to determine if its the roku itself or the plex clients fault? Any idears? >.<

Last edited by klepp0906; 08-14-2017 at 07:02 PM.
post #996 of 1177 Old 08-15-2017, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, sure as **** you were right.

more questions than answers now though..

So my smart tv plex client shows DD and not DD+

I know it doesnt support DTS and converts all DTS to DD which it displays as DD.

The roku clients conversion from DTS >5.1 converts to DD+ (or thats what it displays as.

I guess im now curious as to whether this is a plex roku client issue, or roku issue. Or by design even.

The auto select in roku says DD+/DTS but I dont know that it would mention DD seperately considering if it supports DD+ its backwards compatible.

Hrm......

edit: just realized the smartTV doesnt suport DD+ anyways which would normally speak to a transcode I guess but checking with plex its not transcoding the audio so it is def plain jane DD (which I knew)

The question now becomes how to troubleshoot further to determine if its the roku itself or the plex clients fault? Any idears? >.<

plex generally will do whatever you tell it to do as far as audio content.

you could try plex on a laptop or something. maybe plex on a chromecast or PS3/4 etc...

post #997 of 1177 Old 08-15-2017, 05:44 AM

Quote:
plex generally will do whatever you tell it to do as far as audio content.

you could try plex on a laptop or something. maybe plex on a chromecast or PS3/4 etc...
and it does. I think it may be the roku and not plex unless its a platform specific plex issue.

Same file from same server serves my plex smart tv client > receiver Dolby Digital.

Roku client passes receiver Dolby Digital+ from the same file.

I suppose I can try the PS4 and see what happens. I didnt think of that either! off i go!

EDIT: bust. the ps4 sends it as multichannel so thats what shows up on the receiver. nothing about/to distinguish via dd or dd+ etc.

sigh i cant win lol.

Last edited by klepp0906; 08-15-2017 at 06:44 AM.
post #998 of 1177 Old 08-15-2017, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi,

After playing around with some search phrases on Google I think I have found the answer to my own question and MAYBE the answer to Klepp0906's question -

From Onkyo support forum:

'Based on some chipsets in certain receivers, direct listening mode does not activate the subwoofer so you will have the other options. Also some content are encoded in emulations or Dolby and not true Dolby. The Dolby listening modes will help you achieve better surround effects in instances like this as well. Thanks, FM9'
post #999 of 1177 Old 08-15-2017, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
and it does. I think it may be the roku and not plex unless its a platform specific plex issue.

Same file from same server serves my plex smart tv client > receiver Dolby Digital.

Roku client passes receiver Dolby Digital+ from the same file.

I suppose I can try the PS4 and see what happens. I didnt think of that either! off i go!

EDIT: bust. the ps4 sends it as multichannel so thats what shows up on the receiver. nothing about/to distinguish via dd or dd+ etc.

sigh i cant win lol.
you can change the way the ps4 sends audio I believe. can change from LPCM to bitstream.

post #1000 of 1177 Old 08-16-2017, 07:23 AM

this i was aware of but not of the difference. Just was told lpcm was suprior so thats what i went with ;p

so bitstream will show the codec?
post #1001 of 1177 Old 08-16-2017, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Has any one experienced any issues when a nonsubsampling source is fed through the Onkyo TX-RZ800/900 to a display with HDMI Color Subsampling turned on?

In my situation, I have a DirecTV H24 connected via high speed HDMI to HDMI input 2 on my Onkyo TX-RZ810 which is then connected to HDMI 1 of a Vizio M65-D0.

When subsampling is set to off on the display, there is no issue. When I turn the subsampling setting on, audio is dropped from the DirecTV how the picture is still visible without issue. Other "non 4K" devices such as Nintendo Switch do have an audio loss regardless of subsampling settings.

I also have a PS4 Pro and Sony 4K Blu Ray player connected to the other high speed ports of the Onkyo which have no issue with subsampling on or off. The issue occurs on all HDMI 2.0 ports and with numerous different cables. Firmware is up to date on all device.

I can't seem to figure this one out. Any one with ideas?

PS3 Gamer Tag: WastedSauce
360 Gamer Tag: Thrillhelm
post #1002 of 1177 Old 08-17-2017, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
this i was aware of but not of the difference. Just was told lpcm was suprior so thats what i went with ;p

bitstream gets decoded differently. so your results may be more in line with what you expect.

post #1003 of 1177 Old 08-17-2017, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 740 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22594 Post(s)
Liked: 12295
Quote:

DD/DTS "bitstream" is simply the compressed file being passed (which is why the AVR can identify it as DD or DTS and then decompresses it to LPCM) while "LPCM" is the already decompressed file which is why the AVR only sees Multi CH IN and has no idea what compression routine was used.
bp787 and klepp0906 like this.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 08-17-2017 at 06:01 AM.
post #1004 of 1177 Old 09-09-2017, 06:28 AM

Hey guys, im having a little issue trying to figure something out w/ my RZ900 and this forum has always been amazing for help.

Just got home with my new newborn yesterday so my brain is a garbled mess >.<

Anyways, I never used my tv in game mode before.. but as I just got a steam link which introduces plenty of its own latency, i figured nows a good time to start. (xbr 950b if relevant).

Now EVERYTHING is connected through the receiver so my options were A) move all things that need game mode to HDMI out 2 on the receiver and a different input on the TV vs B) programming a macro for all my various components to swap to and from game mode on my harmony.

Needless to say, option A) seemd the quicker, cleaner, more practical of the 2.

Ive gotten so far as connecting the HDMI output 2 to the new input on the TV. Setting up the picture settings, turning on powered zone 2 on the receiver.. but now im stuck.

Where in the receiver set up do I change the various inputs to output from hdmi 2 instead of hdmi 1? I only want the roku on hdmi 1 so I can leave that on cinema mode, and the various consoles are all going to hdmi out 2 so i can leave that calibrated/set to game mode.

problem is even if i manually change the tv to the other hdmi input which is connected to hdmi out 2 on the recever, I press setup on the receiver and am not even getting the OSD.

where am i hung up?

thanks a ton!

EDIT: just went back to normal. What I assumed was gonna be easier may in fact not be. Might not even be possible which is worse but i digress.

Seems the 2nd output isnt really a second output at all. Kinda like the sub output. It just mirrors the first and has all kind of proclivaties attached. Couldnt get it to even mirror the first anyways so meh. Kinda crazy for an (iirc) 1500 dollar receiver but thus is life.

For now its manual toggling it on and off which wouldnt be AS bad as it is if i didnt share the tv w/ the rest of the fam down there. The bedroom tv has its own inputs (no receiver) so its eazy/takes care of itself. Having the receiver and/or universal remote makes this a nightmare.

Last edited by klepp0906; 09-10-2017 at 01:02 AM.
post #1005 of 1177 Old 09-14-2017, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 59
never mind

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #1006 of 1177 Old 09-19-2017, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang66 View Post
never mind

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Anyone here using a TX-RZ800 (or '900) for a 2.1 channel music-only system? I currently am (sources include CD, phono and digital files - e.g., DSD), but am wondering whether I can achieve better sound quality with a higher end 2-channel integrated and/or amp/preamp. My mains are KEF LS50s, and my sub is a Rythmik L12.

Thanks in advance!
post #1007 of 1177 Old 09-19-2017, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 870
2.1 channel listening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbsaph17 View Post
Anyone here using a TX-RZ800 (or '900) for a 2.1 channel music-only system? I currently am (sources include CD, phono and digital files - e.g., DSD), but am wondering whether I can achieve better sound quality with a higher end 2-channel integrated and/or amp/preamp. My mains are KEF LS50s, and my sub is a Rythmik L12.

Thanks in advance!
Although I have a 7.1 speaker config with my 900, whenever I listen to regular cd's or vinyl I use 2.1 only.
The 900 is the best receiver I have ever owned and sounds fantastic in 2 channel mode. Could not be happier with my "Beast".

Panasonic TC-P55ST50 Plasma 55"
Oppo BDP-203 Blu Ray, Toshiba A30 HD DVD
Onkyo RZ-900 Receiver (7.1 Config)
Klipsch R28F, RC64ii, RS400, RB600, R-12SW Sub
Mac Mini/PS3/Wii, Harmony Smart Control
post #1008 of 1177 Old 09-22-2017, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi, hoping someone can help with an audio issue I have with my TX-RZ800.
All my connections are HDMI cables (sat box to receiver, bluray player to receiver, receiver to TV).
My speakers are front floor towers, surround towers, back towers, smaller front speaker, 2 x bookshelf dolby atmos top fired and a subwoofer.

Makes no difference if listen in 7.1.2 or 5.1.2 but here is the issue...
When listening to movies in Direct, All Channel Stereo or Full mono, the vocal dialogue audio is full and no problem hearing it with all the other surround sounds etc.
But listening in any of the other modes, DTS Neural, THX Cinema, Theater Dimensional, Dolby Surround, etc the vocal dialogue is barley audible over all the other
sounds. I tried many different movies and all the same result. If I turn the volume way up and back off volume on the Surrounds/Back speakers it's better but still doesn't sound right.

Listening to a bluray player 4K movie in Dolby Atmos mode the same problem is there. If I change it to BD/DVD Direct then the voices are full/easy to hear.

Thx for any help!
post #1009 of 1177 Old 09-23-2017, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomilo View Post
All my connections are HDMI cables (sat box to receiver, bluray player to receiver, receiver to TV).
My speakers are front floor towers, surround towers, back towers, smaller front speaker, 2 x bookshelf dolby atmos top fired and a subwoofer.

When listening to movies in Direct, All Channel Stereo or Full mono, the vocal dialogue audio is full and no problem hearing it with all the other surround sounds etc.
But listening in any of the other modes, DTS Neural, THX Cinema, Theater Dimensional, Dolby Surround, etc the vocal dialogue is barley audible over all the other
sounds. I tried many different movies and all the same result. If I turn the volume way up and back off volume on the Surrounds/Back speakers it's better but still doesn't sound right.

Listening to a bluray player 4K movie in Dolby Atmos mode the same problem is there. If I change it to BD/DVD Direct then the voices are full/easy to hear.

Thx for any help!
The only thing that's worked for me in clearing up dialogue is to crank the treble and volume on the center speaker way up. I've also tinkered with the equalizer settings, pulling down some of the mid-range settings. But after all this, last night I had to turn on subtitles to understand the dialogue.
post #1010 of 1177 Old 09-23-2017, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thx for any help!
while I'm not sure what the exact issue is, why would you want to put a movie (assuming it's encoded in DD/DTS or other similar format other than 2.0) in any of the other formats? You'd basically be down converting the Multichannel digital format to a lower quality standard, probably causing weird unintended conversion issues. All channel stereo doesn't really modify much, and neither do Direct or Full Mono. The other psuedo multichannel modes do a lot of "guesswork".

post #1011 of 1177 Old 09-23-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
while I'm not sure what the exact issue is, why would you want to put a movie (assuming it's encoded in DD/DTS or other similar format other than 2.0) in any of the other formats? You'd basically be down converting the Multichannel digital format to a lower quality standard, probably causing weird unintended conversion issues. All channel stereo doesn't really modify much, and neither do Direct or Full Mono. The other psuedo multichannel modes do a lot of "guesswork".
Thx for the reply but I'm confused, all these other listening modes (must be 7 or 8 of them) are basically not worth using/listening to? I don't understand the point of having them then?
Also, listening in 5.1.2, the only mode I can get the height speakers to work is in All Channel Stereo.
post #1012 of 1177 Old 09-23-2017, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thx for the reply but I'm confused, all these other listening modes (must be 7 or 8 of them) are basically not worth using/listening to? I don't understand the point of having them then?
Also, listening in 5.1.2, the only mode I can get the height speakers to work is in All Channel Stereo.
those modes create either A) effects or B) pseudo surround options. They're not necessary, in most cases, to reproduce sources with multi-channel digital audio tracks.

all channel stereo, direct, and the native DD/DTS options are the only ones i've ever bothered with. I'd almost call many of them legacy modes.

The receiver is a 7 channel receiver, not a 9. It does not have the processing for 9 amplification. Thus, you cannot do 7.1.2.

Regarding why your height speakers are not working, this is a configuration issue and a source issue. I have the 810. it took me a few tries to get the audio modes right.

For non-atmos or non-DTS:X sources, your listening modes should probably be:
Dolby Surround/DTS-Neural

For DTS-X/HD you'll want the corresponding listening mode.

For DD TrueHD, you'll prob want the corresponding listening mode.

A description of what listening modes are available and when they're available start on page EN-20 in the manual: http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/..._manual_en.pdf

Also look at Pg EN-47

post #1013 of 1177 Old 09-24-2017, 10:14 AM

I appreciate the help on better understanding all the capabilities of this receiver!

those modes create either A) effects or B) pseudo surround options. They're not necessary, in most cases, to reproduce sources with multi-channel digital audio tracks.
all channel stereo, direct, and the native DD/DTS options are the only ones i've ever bothered with. I'd almost call many of them legacy modes.

I've found on some moviesthat using Dolby Surround mode gave better audio as far as say, helicopters flying, gunshots, etc. but as stated before, the vocal audio sounds are distant, less than full.

The receiver is a 7 channel receiver, not a 9. It does not have the processing for 9 amplification. Thus, you cannot do 7.1.2.

That option is available in the Setup/Speakers (photo attached)?

Regarding why your height speakers are not working, this is a configuration issue and a source issue. I have the 810. it took me a few tries to get the audio modes right.

Yeah, still working on this.

I had already printed out the listening mode pages but probably should have read thru those pages better, and will.

Thx again for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7.1.2 config.jpg (88.8 KB, 30 views)
post #1014 of 1177 Old 09-25-2017, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 24
post #1015 of 1177 Old 09-25-2017, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I appreciate the help on better understanding all the capabilities of this receiver!

I've found on some moviesthat using Dolby Surround mode gave better audio as far as say, helicopters flying, gunshots, etc. but as stated before, the vocal audio sounds are distant, less than full.

Thx again for your help!

* yeah, I know what you're saying about the surrounds. perhaps adjusting ALL of the levels for all of the speakers might help. Lowering the left/right/surrounds and upping the center... ??? Don't know. haven't seen this issue.

* The option in the photo is, for lack of a better term, a "known error". The manual covers a variety of different receivers in reality and the firmware is basically the same across models... so really it's a mistake as far as anyone has found. If you search this thread, you'll find that onkyo has stated it doesn't support the processing for 9 discrete channels, only seven. (plus sub). You can attach different speakers, but the receiver will only handle the 7 distinct channels. The extra speakers will be replicas.

Last edited by bp787; 09-25-2017 at 11:11 AM.
post #1016 of 1177 Old 09-25-2017, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstantYo View Post
Thanks!
I wonder if Google Cast will ever be enabled?

EDIT: NM, I see that Cast was enabled in April. Guess I haven't tried it lol. Sad to see that it's only for audio. would've been extra sweet for it to have been a full cast experience.

Also, there's an update for the 810... pretty much the same as for the 800/900

http://www.intl.onkyo.com/support/fi.../tx-rz810.html

Last edited by bp787; 09-25-2017 at 11:05 AM.
post #1017 of 1177 Old 09-25-2017, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, still working on this.

I had already printed out the listening mode pages but probably should have read thru those pages better, and will.

Thx again for your help!

Oh, and some additional info from various people on this 7.1.2 issue:

https://www.amazon.com/review/RG0QU0...dp_lswr_rp_hza

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions...sin=B00ZQMO76A

https://www.amazon.com/review/R2YCNS...dp_lswr_rp_hza

post #1018 of 1177 Old 10-02-2017, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Loss of Sound

Has anyone else experienced loss of sound in all channels whereby the only way to regain is to change inputs?

I have a 5.1 set-up with TiVo Roamio, Oppo Blu-Ray, AppleTv, and Samsung HDTV apps all feeding my RZ900 via HDMI.

I recently downloaded the most recent firmware and this issue coincidentally (or not) started.

It is happening intermittently when skipping commercials while watching TiVo, whereby when video playback resumed and the sound did not. Watching AmazonTV via the Samsung TV apps, the same issue occurred.

Each time, the display of the receiver states all channels active. Strangely, the is no "no signal" error message.

Going to try Onkyo for help, but was hoping the forum might have other suggestions?

Bummer...this unit has been flawless until now...

Home theater:
Samsung QN65Q80RAFXZA
Onkyo TX-RZ900 Receiver
Mirage 3si, Mcsi, OM-R2, BPSS-210
Tivo Roamio, AppleTV 4K, Harmony Ultimate One, Oppo BDP-103D
post #1019 of 1177 Old 10-05-2017, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
What settings have you changed on the receiver out of the box?

Do you for an example use the equalizer settings?

Phase match bass on?
post #1020 of 1177 Old 10-05-2017, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZ800power View Post
What settings have you changed on the receiver out of the box?

Do you for an example use the equalizer settings?

Phase match bass on?
That's the strange thing. I haven't changed anything. Just installed the firmware update.

Out of the box, I just ran the white noise speaker calibration. All sources use "direct" as far as signal processing goes. No changes or problems at all over the last 2 years.

Onkyo RZ support seemed to think there was an error in the firmware download (I used WIFI direct download, not usb). Per their suggestion, I tried to reinstall the firmware via usb, but the unit keeps giving me the message that I already have up to date firmware.

Home theater:
Samsung QN65Q80RAFXZA
Onkyo TX-RZ900 Receiver
Mirage 3si, Mcsi, OM-R2, BPSS-210
Tivo Roamio, AppleTV 4K, Harmony Ultimate One, Oppo BDP-103D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
RZ800

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page