The **Official** Yamaha RX-V779 Thread(2015 HDMI 2.0a HDCP 2.2 Receiver) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 120Likes

post #31 of 658 Old 08-10-2015, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmesunset View Post
Argh, I misspoke. My apologies for the misunderstanding, and thanks to all who were willing to help anyway.

What I meant was that I didn't want to create a special DSP "scene" with 7 speakers active and the center and all four surrounds modified to 0% out, or modified to 0% delay, or something that defeated the real purpose of the DSP. I didn't want to "hack" the DSP to do something that seemingly shouldn't require such brute force.

I've got nothing against digital processing - sometime this week I'm going to add front presence speakers and start tinkering with scenes. kikkenit2 nailed it exactly - for plain ol' stereo signal I just want to activate the crossover to give the subwoofer the low frequencies.

Thanks again to everyone.
If you mean 7CH Stereo, it won't include the sub in the "all speakers" output without bass management as far as I know. Check p. 57 of your manual. I don't know if you can set the center speaker in 7ch Stereo to mute, I miss that from my RX-V663. It allowed me to play back stereo from two front and two rear speakers (so only phantom center).

Pp 104-105 is where you set up bass management.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 08-11-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 658 Old 08-10-2015, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked: 4139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
If you mean 7CH Stereo, it won't include the sub in the "all speakers" output as far as I know.
I would tend to think just the opposite: I think the sub works in 7CH Stereo mode.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".

Last edited by m. zillch; 08-10-2015 at 05:19 PM.
post #33 of 658 Old 08-11-2015, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
I would tend to think just the opposite: I think the sub works in 7CH Stereo mode.
Oops, I meant without bass management enabled. If all speakers are set to Large, switching on 7ch Stereo doesn't suddenly start using the sub as far's I know.

With bass management enabled, it works normally in 7ch Stereo.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 08-11-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 658 Old 08-12-2015, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi @All

I got my 779 today and just finished setting it up (including updating the firmware). So far I'm very pleased but I stumbled over a strange behaviour:

Apart from two video sources attached via HDMI, I have two audio sources attached to it:
A CD Player connected via optical cable to AV1 and
a Sonos Connect connected via coax cable to AV2.

When I choose AV1 I can listen to CDs just fine, adjusting the volume, choosing DSP, whatever - everything works as expected.
But when switching to AV2, strange things happen:
Firstly, I nearly blew my ears away! I always keep the volume adjustment feature in the Sonos Connect disabled in order to handle the volume using the amp (previous one was a Onkyo). But with the 779, the volume control doesn't have any effect, I have to use the volume control of the Sonos to stop the earthquake!
Secondly, when the playback on the Sonos is still running, I can hear it on any other AV channel - on AV1 the playbacks of the Sonos and the CD are even mixed
And when listening to this mix, the volume control of the 779 again does only have an effect on the volume of the CD playback...

Strangely, it does not work the other way round - when the CD playback is running and I choose any other channel than AV1 the CD playback can't be heard anymore (this is what I would expect from AV2 likewise).

I scanned the manual and all the setup options but I can't find any error in my configuration and consequently no way to change this strange behaviour.

Did anyone have the same problems or does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers

Jake
post #35 of 658 Old 08-12-2015, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeomat View Post
Hi @All

I got my 779 today and just finished setting it up (including updating the firmware). So far I'm very pleased but I stumbled over a strange behaviour:

Apart from two video sources attached via HDMI, I have two audio sources attached to it:
A CD Player connected via optical cable to AV1 and
a Sonos Connect connected via coax cable to AV2.

When I choose AV1 I can listen to CDs just fine, adjusting the volume, choosing DSP, whatever - everything works as expected.
But when switching to AV2, strange things happen:
Firstly, I nearly blew my ears away! I always keep the volume adjustment feature in the Sonos Connect disabled in order to handle the volume using the amp (previous one was a Onkyo). But with the 779, the volume control doesn't have any effect, I have to use the volume control of the Sonos to stop the earthquake!
Secondly, when the playback on the Sonos is still running, I can hear it on any other AV channel - on AV1 the playbacks of the Sonos and the CD are even mixed
And when listening to this mix, the volume control of the 779 again does only have an effect on the volume of the CD playback...

Strangely, it does not work the other way round - when the CD playback is running and I choose any other channel than AV1 the CD playback can't be heard anymore (this is what I would expect from AV2 likewise).

I scanned the manual and all the setup options but I can't find any error in my configuration and consequently no way to change this strange behaviour.

Did anyone have the same problems or does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers

Jake
Well, there IS a volume trim on the Options menu (p. 93 of the manual). That said ... you're describing something I'd consider a manufacturing defect.

1. Can hear one input while selecting another.
  2. Volume is maxed out on a digital input.
  3. Volume cannot be corrected, sounds like it's ruining your speakers.
I'd return that to the store/seller, do not pass GO, do not collect $200. Take a look at the troubleshooting section, but I don't think they'll have a common (and user-fixable) description for what you're describing.

post #36 of 658 Old 08-12-2015, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Try initialize all reset. Otherwise toast.
post #37 of 658 Old 08-25-2015, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
External Amplifier Advice with the RX-V779

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
Anyone else bought this receiver? If you need pre-outs then this really is an excellent choice for non-Atmos uses.
I want to connect a Crown XLS1500 to my RX779 via RCA connectors to drive two JBL-JRX115's in stereo in addition to my regular Klipsch speakers connected to the speaker wire connections. Can I do this with the RX-779 and have all speakers active simultaneously?
post #38 of 658 Old 08-25-2015, 09:56 PM

Running two pair of front L/R stereo speakers in the same room is not advised from a sound quality point of view and running them in two different rooms, one set on the amp and one from the pre-outs to an outboard amp, will "work" however there is no way to have independent control of bass management, tone controls, EQ, distance, balance, or even volume. They will be locked to exactly the same configuration for both pairs.

Units like this which have variable level "zone outs" ["multi room pre-outs"] give a bit more independent control of the secondary room, however it is typically stereo only, not surround sound, and YPAO mic tests and calibrations work only for the main room.
mpgxsvcd likes this.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".

Last edited by m. zillch; 08-27-2015 at 12:35 PM.
post #39 of 658 Old 08-27-2015, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardojc1n1 View Post
I want to connect a Crown XLS1500 to my RX779 via RCA connectors to drive two JBL-JRX115's in stereo in addition to my regular Klipsch speakers connected to the speaker wire connections. Can I do this with the RX-779 and have all speakers active simultaneously?
Take note of the cautions in your manual on p. 33, particularly:
Quote:
- When using the PRE OUT jacks, do not connect speakers to the corresponding SPEAKERS terminals.
I dunno why you want two sets of L/R speakers active simultaneously. Feel free to enlighten us.
mpgxsvcd likes this.

post #40 of 658 Old 08-27-2015, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2618
I downloaded updated firmware for this receiver the other day. However, I have no idea what it adds or resolves.
post #41 of 658 Old 09-01-2015, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
I downloaded updated firmware for this receiver the other day. However, I have no idea what it adds or resolves.
For documentation on firmware updates, you might want to visit the Yamaha website for the product. The link is:

usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v779_black_u/ (I'm too new here to post an actual link)

If you click on the "Support" tab you'll see a PDF file named "Additional Features" that describes the new feature of MusicCast, which seems to be the ability to _transmit_ to a BlueTooth device. There is another guide that seems to be a repeat of the same MusicCast information.

The very sad thing I noticed is that the "Additional Features" document replaced the previous "Additional Features" document, which described how to register "Favorite Item Shortcuts" using the remote. Making me wonder how many other Additional Features documents are lost in time, and how many features I don't know about.
post #42 of 658 Old 09-01-2015, 08:28 AM

My kingdom for a TV power control!

I would be so happy if I could just power the TV on and off with the remote.

Not merely "On when the receiver is on, off when it is off." I want to be able to turn it on, find my Net station or whatever, and turn it back off. Without a second remote.

I know, I know. "And wouldn't it be great to control the TV volume as well?" And to control.......

But I'd be so happy to be able to control the power. Even a single switched outlet would be great.
post #43 of 658 Old 09-01-2015, 08:34 AM

Wanting to source an FM radio transmitter for outdoors.

Quote:
I dunno why you want two sets of L/R speakers active simultaneously. Feel free to enlighten us.
I want to transmit the LR signal to a pair of ear-protection headphones for mowing the lawn.

I don't see any tape-loop outputs. Or any outputs except speakers, HDMI, and video monitor.
post #44 of 658 Old 09-01-2015, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Not merely "On when the receiver is on, off when it is off." I want to be able to turn it on, find my Net station or whatever, and turn it back off. Without a second remote.

I know, I know. "And wouldn't it be great to control the TV volume as well?" And to control.......

But I'd be so happy to be able to control the power. Even a single switched outlet would be great.

Quote:
I want to transmit the LR signal to a pair of ear-protection headphones for mowing the lawn.

I don't see any tape-loop outputs. Or any outputs except speakers, HDMI, and video monitor.
Wow. I hadnt realized until these two questions that some features of my 775 were dropped off of the 777, 779:

- AV OUT
- Source and TV controls on the remote control

.... PFFFT! to you, Yamaha.

For the lawn listening, I can only suggest the Zone 2 output, but you are limited in what sources can be played through it. See p. 82 of the manual.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 09-01-2015 at 07:20 PM.
post #45 of 658 Old 09-01-2015, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:

The zone 2 pre-outs should work. Only certain sources are supported independently in zone 2, but in Party Mode (meaning same source in all zones) any source will work.

And yes, the already poor remote (tiny buttons, no backlight) seems to have gotten even worse this year.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #46 of 658 Old 09-01-2015, 02:02 PM

Using a 1/4 inch TRS phone plug to stereo RCA adapter cord, to feed the wireless headphone transmitter using the front panel headphone jack, has an advantage that it turns off the speakers in the main room when in use. Many wireless headphone transmitters even come with such a cord.

post #47 of 658 Old 09-14-2015, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, I'm kind of confused with this receiver by two things:

1. I see pics of it online with and without a phono input. Were there two revisions of this receiver?

2. Compared to my Pioneer 1222K which is now dead, I find the audio or dialogue to be more recessed sounding. I mean not the actual center channel volume which can be raised without really fixing the issue. It seems like during big action sequences, dialogue gets lost or buried where with the pioneer, it was seemingly more intelligible. Has anyone noticed this if coming from another brand of receiver? Is it just the way its decoding? I did find a dialogue level adjustment (I think its three settings). I think I have to take it up one or two notches for it to feel like my previous receiver.

Any suggestions welcome.
post #48 of 658 Old 09-14-2015, 12:47 AM

RXV779s officially sold in the US and Canada do not have phono. Other countries do.

An outboard phono preamp from a third party could be bought for an unused auxiliary input though, should you need it. The are usually $30 or so for ones of comparable quality to what Yamaha receivers with phono might have.

As for the dialog sounding different the only thing that comes to mind is that maybe due to mic placement or room décor YPAO has dialed in objectionable EQ which adversely affects the dialog. Maybe try running YPAO again but using a different microphone placement technique at a slight different "ear height"? Not sure.

Are you aiming the mic straight up? Was there any other noise in the room? If an AC, frig, or fan is running it can change readings slightly.

Last edited by m. zillch; 09-14-2015 at 12:58 AM.
post #49 of 658 Old 09-14-2015, 12:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by contoursvt View Post

1. I see pics of it online with and without a phono input. Were there two revisions of this receiver?

2. Compared to my Pioneer 1222K which is now dead, I find the audio or dialogue to be more recessed sounding. I mean not the actual center channel volume which can be raised without really fixing the issue. It seems like during big action sequences, dialogue gets lost or buried where with the pioneer, it was seemingly more intelligible. Has anyone noticed this if coming from another brand of receiver? Is it just the way its decoding? I did find a dialogue level adjustment (I think its three settings). I think I have to take it up one or two notches for it to feel like my previous receiver.

Any suggestions welcome.

1. Check p 12 of your manual. PHONOGRAPH input is only available in certain countries.

2. Use the On Screen, Info display to see if the content has a dialog vol adj flag.

post #50 of 658 Old 09-14-2015, 01:11 AM

Oh I see. Yes I did actually check the manual after being confused or a bit and there it said that north American models don't have the phono. I find it odd they did that but oh well. It was more just a wonder more than anything else.

As for the dialogue, I had done the measurement pretty much the same as with the pioneer. Microphone pointing up from the seated position. I have a box that I set it on which lifts it to about hear height. I've even tried bypassing all that and doing the settings manually (ie the distance and using an SPL meter and tones to set the levels). The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the pioneer by default had some dialogue enhancement which was turned on and I didn't know about it. I will play some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
RXV779s officially sold in the US and Canada do not have phono. Other countries do.

An outboard phono preamp from a third party could be bought for an unused auxiliary input though, should you need it. The are usually $30 or so for ones of comparable quality to what Yamaha receivers with phono might have.

As for the dialog sounding different the only thing that comes to mind is that maybe due to mic placement or room décor YPAO has dialed in objectionable EQ which adversely affects the dialog. Maybe try running YPAO again but using a different microphone placement technique at a slight different "ear height"? Not sure.

Are you aiming the mic straight up? Was there any other noise in the room? If an AC, frig, or fan is running it can change readings slightly.
post #51 of 658 Old 09-14-2015, 01:11 AM

Thanks I will definitely check that out.

Quote:
1. Check p 12 of your manual. PHONOGRAPH input is only available in certain countries.

2. Use the On Screen, Info display to see if the content has a dialog vol adj flag.
post #52 of 658 Old 09-14-2015, 01:13 AM

Also p92 of the manual discusses dialogue level and lift settings which might not be set to your liking. Try to use level only, all by itself and not lift, if at all possible.

Last edited by m. zillch; 09-14-2015 at 01:29 AM.
post #53 of 658 Old 09-14-2015, 01:22 AM

Quote:
I have a box that I set it on which lifts it to about hear height.
That's not ideal because the flat panel of the cardboard acts as an artificial reflective surface which reflects sounds back at the mic with different intensities depending on frequency.

It is best for the mic to be free and clear of nearby surfaces like broad, flat cardboard planes, so use a "boom arm" approach instead. The mic has a standard camera tripod thread underneath so you could use one of those, or for equally good results try [duct] taping the mic to the end of a stick like a broom or mop handle and rest it on the rear back support of the listening chair, aiming upward from below and behind the chair, such that the mic itself aims straight up and is at your ear height (had you been sitting there).
greatartiste likes this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 09-14-2015 at 01:34 AM.
post #54 of 658 Old 09-14-2015, 01:32 AM

Awesome feedback on the measurement issue. Never even thought of the issues the box is causing. I will just use my camera tripod for sure now!
post #55 of 658 Old 09-14-2015, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

Your local retailer will be able to provide you with a remote control that will work your amp AND give you the ability to control the TV. They don't cost the earth either. The reason for the buttons going away? Many, many people ask for simplicity - and the price to pay for that is fewer buttons. Easy fix though... or, buy a Harmony, they really are pretty cool.
greatartiste likes this.
post #56 of 658 Old 09-14-2015, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
For documentation on firmware updates, you might want to visit the Yamaha website for the product. The link is:

usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v779_black_u/ (I'm too new here to post an actual link)

If you click on the "Support" tab you'll see a PDF file named "Additional Features" that describes the new feature of MusicCast, which seems to be the ability to _transmit_ to a BlueTooth device. There is another guide that seems to be a repeat of the same MusicCast information.
MusicCast is quite a big thing to be included in this upgrade.
It effectively means you can make the RXV779 the start of your multiroom system... sending any audio source to up to 9 other MusicCast devices. HDMI lossless audio, AirPlay, USB, optical etc etc.
Turning on the Bluetooth transmitter is kinda cool as you can send it to bluetooth docks... or bluetooth headphones, handy while mowing the lawn, as an example.
post #57 of 658 Old 09-14-2015, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2618
Quote:

Any suggestions welcome.
I had the same issue when watching movies as opposed to watching TV. I felt that the center channel was too soft for what I was accustomed to. Perhaps it is just Yamaha’s processing that does it? Anyway I increased the vocal setting by two clicks and it resolved the issue.

Please be aware that I use both volume leveling and dynamic range compression. That very well could have an effect on it. However, I really need to be able to use it at night without waking the kids up so this is my best option.

I also use the dialog lift feature because I use presence speakers. That works great. All of the vocals come directly from the top half of the TV screen which would be tough to do without dialog lift. Usually all of the dialog comes out of the center channel speaker that is typically directly under the screen. This localization of the sound under the TV is not ideal in my opionion.
post #58 of 658 Old 09-14-2015, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try and play with that setting. I probably wont use dialogue lift but at least the level I'll try

Quote:
I had the same issue when watching movies as opposed to watching TV. I felt that the center channel was too soft for what I was accustomed to. Perhaps it is just Yamaha’s processing that does it? Anyway I increased the vocal setting by two clicks and it resolved the issue.

Please be aware that I use both volume leveling and dynamic range compression. That very well could have an effect on it. However, I really need to be able to use it at night without waking the kids up so this is my best option.

I also use the dialog lift feature because I use presence speakers. That works great. All of the vocals come directly from the top half of the TV screen which would be tough to do without dialog lift. Usually all of the dialog comes out of the center channel speaker that is typically directly under the screen. This localization of the sound under the TV is not ideal in my opionion.
post #59 of 658 Old 09-19-2015, 01:52 PM

Let's revisit the danger of using the pre-outs with speakers.

I want to connect my 779 to an FM radio transmitter that has RCA line-level inputs. ALL speaker outputs on the 779 are connected to speakers. I am using the 2nd zone as Front Presence with the DSP, not as an independent zone.

I'm now at the point where I need to either

A) purchase a Bluetooth to RCA converter and dedicate the Bluetooth radio to output (sometimes)
B) go against the warning / advice about using pre-outs with speakers.
C) get an HDMI to RCA converter, unless I would be forced to drop the presence speakers to use it.

What gives with that? My understanding is that pre-outs are such high impedance that they shouldn't make any effect on the system. (Well, actually, the inputs that one connects to the pre-outs). Like connecting a voltmeter or scope to a circuit -- tiny, tiny impact on the system under test.

Previously posted:

Quote:
- When using the PRE OUT jacks, do not connect speakers to the corresponding SPEAKERS terminals.
post #60 of 658 Old 09-19-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I want to connect my 779 to an FM radio transmitter that has RCA line-level inputs. ALL speaker outputs on the 779 are connected to speakers. I am using the 2nd zone as Front Presence with the DSP, not as an independent zone..
However by my read of the manual, the RCA outs labelled as "Zone 2" stay that way under all circumstances, even when using presence speaker outs, and have an independent volume control compared to the main room. This is what you should use for the FM transmitter. [In many receivers such analog outs don't work from incoming HDMI signals so you need to use parallel runs to each corresponding RCA input for them to work, but I see no mention of that in the Yamaha manual, at least from my quick perusal.]

For the best sound quality you want to find the loudest output that still won't distort the FM transmitter's input stage, and leave it there forever, so as to maximize your signal to noise ratio and keep hiss at bay. You should do your actual volume adjustments for day-to-day use at the receiver's end.

Quote:
B) go against the warning / advice about using pre-outs with speakers...

What gives with that? My understanding is that pre-outs are such high impedance that they shouldn't make any effect on the system.
I think it is not a warning as much as it is a advisor that without independent controls for volume and room correction modifications (YPAO's EQ, etc.) using both the preouts and the speaker outs simultaneously is asking for trouble in terms of frustration free ease of use. People for instance wanting to send sound to an alternate room would be upset that the sound was calibrated and modified for a different room that that they were actually listening in. Adjusting the volume would also likely be a nightmare since they are locked together.

Last edited by m. zillch; 09-19-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
freezing , RX-V779 , tsr-7790 , unresponsive , yamaha tsr-7790

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page