The **Official** Yamaha RX-V779 Thread(2015 HDMI 2.0a HDCP 2.2 Receiver) - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 120Likes

post #631 of 658 Old 04-15-2019, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone had an issue with Yamaha's protection circuitry activating?

I've got a three-year-old TRS-7790BL that for a while has been turning off and on randomly. I always assumed it was just a minor quirk -- maybe related to a malfunctioning universal remote -- until just recently when I got the dreaded blinking red light indicating the protection circuitry had activated. Thankfully, I was able to reset the system by holding down the Info and Tone Control buttons and then pushing Main Zone. I initially thought a loose speaker wire connection was probably the culprit, but it happened again last night after I'd tightened all of them.

Any ideas of a possible cause? Could a failing HDMI cable trip the protection circuitry?

(I should note that I'm using the receiver with a Sony XBR 900E, which has had some issues since the last Android TV update. In what is apparently a known issue, the sound doesn't work when I first turn on the TV. I have to turn the system off and on again to get it to work. That got me thinking that the protection circuitry problem could be ARC related but that's just a guess.)

Last edited by ryewhiskey; 04-15-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 658 Old 04-15-2019, 10:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked: 4108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryewhiskey View Post
Has anyone had an issue with Yamaha's protection circuitry activating?
The self protection circuit usually engages itself if it senses the speaker load is too difficult to drive
Examples:
- Low impedance speakers
- driving more than one pair
- a speaker which reaches a low impedance at a specifc frequency even though the manufacturer rates it much higher
- a partial short such as when a single strand of the speaker wire accidentally touches over to the other side. This may happen at the ends of the wire but sometimes even happens along the length especially if the wire gets physically worn.

Or from over heating:
Examples:
- playing music loudly even for just a short time
- playing music at a medium to loud level for an extended period of time
- not giving the receiver enough ventilation such as putting it inside a cabinet or placing another component on top of it which impedes the air flow needed by the ventilation slots
ChromeJob likes this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 04-15-2019 at 11:05 PM.
post #633 of 658 Old 04-16-2019, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
The self protection circuit usually engages itself if it senses the speaker load is too difficult to drive
Examples:
- Low impedance speakers
- driving more than one pair
- a speaker which reaches a low impedance at a specifc frequency even though the manufacturer rates it much higher
- a partial short such as when a single strand of the speaker wire accidentally touches over to the other side. This may happen at the ends of the wire but sometimes even happens along the length especially if the wire gets physically worn.

Or from over heating:
Examples:
- playing music loudly even for just a short time
- playing music at a medium to loud level for an extended period of time
- not giving the receiver enough ventilation such as putting it inside a cabinet or placing another component on top of it which impedes the air flow needed by the ventilation slots
Thanks for the reply. I'm using the receiver with five Athena bookshelf speakers, so I don't think it's the speaker load. I'll have to recheck all the speaker wire to make sure a random strand of wire didn't accidentally get loose. As for ventilation, it's on a table so it's sides and rear are open but we do sometimes leave books or other objects on top of it. I'll make sure the top is clear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 658 Old 04-17-2019, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2183 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Yep, leave the top vents clear for cooling, always. Warm air rises. If the receiver has been exposed to dust, try unplugging it and taking a gentle vacuum to the cabinet vents to clear any dust.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
post #635 of 658 Old 05-23-2019, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Can any expert here can help me figure out an issue I'm having with mine?

I watch Youtube or streaming via web on my AV4 input and TV on my HDMI2 input. The volume on my AV4 input is loud and I usually listen with gain of -40 or so. However, when I'm watching TV on HDMI2 input, I have to crank the volume up to -25 or so to match the volume from AV4 input. Even then the vocals of a music program seems very low.

I first had both inputs on "Straight" setting, which works really well. However, when I'm watching TV, the volume on "Straight" setting is too low so I tried to change it to 7-channel or 2-channel stereo. Then it gets louder.

So my question is, is this a normal behavior?

Thanks in advance.
post #636 of 658 Old 05-23-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by next_milenium View Post

I watch Youtube or streaming via web on my AV4 input and TV on my HDMI2 input. The volume on my AV4 input is loud and I usually listen with gain of -40 or so. However, when I'm watching TV on HDMI2 input, I have to crank the volume up to -25 or so to match the volume from AV4 input. Even then the vocals of a music program seems very low.

I first had both inputs on "Straight" setting, which works really well. However, when I'm watching TV, the volume on "Straight" setting is too low so I tried to change it to 7-channel or 2-channel stereo. Then it gets louder.

So my question is, is this a normal behavior?

Thanks in advance.
Do you have a center speaker connected and have you run the auto calibration system, "YPAO"?
post #637 of 658 Old 05-23-2019, 03:13 PM

Angry

Quote:
Do you have a center speaker connected and have you run the auto calibration system, "YPAO"?
Yes, I have a center speaker and I ran YPAO when I set it up originally.

Again, the issue is the sound is fine with loud center speaker volume when I watch everything except broadcasted TV programs. Then the center speaker volume gets drowned by surround sound volume and I have to switch to 7-channel or 2-channel stereo to get louder center speaker volume.
post #638 of 658 Old 05-23-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:

Hi next_milenium, could try adjusting the Input Trim which correct volume differences in each input when switching between input sources.
Select your input then press Option > Input Settings > Input Trim.
post #639 of 658 Old 05-23-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Yes, I have a center speaker and I ran YPAO when I set it up originally.

Again, the issue is the sound is fine with loud center speaker volume when I watch everything except broadcasted TV programs. Then the center speaker volume gets drowned by surround sound volume and I have to switch to 7-channel or 2-channel stereo to get louder center speaker volume.
An objectionable change in volume when one changes sources is often caused by a "disappearing/reappearing" center channel either due to miscalibration or a setting on the source device transmitting a weird signal as the signal format changes from 5.1 to 2.0.

A common example of miscalibration is when a consumer follows bad advice on the web from a person who insists, "Try cranking up the center speaker level, rather than relying on YPAO's decision, so it will make dialog easier to hear". NO! THAT'S HORRIBLE ADVICE. Sure, it may temporarily improve dialog but when the system changes to a Dolby 2.0 signal or stereo, suddenly everything sounds way too quiet.

When "TV sound is too quiet" it suggests the system is failing to reproduce the center channel signal for some reason which is where all the dialog comes from.

Turn on your system, select your TV source so you are in this "too quiet" mode and then walk up to the front of the room so you can hold your ear close to the speakers to verify if the center speaker is where the dialog is indeed coming from. Is it?

Last edited by m. zillch; 05-23-2019 at 03:37 PM.
post #640 of 658 Old 05-23-2019, 03:56 PM

I did some more careful listening and noticed the center speaker volume (dialog) is fine if I'm watching news or commercials. But when I'm watching a music program like the Voice or Idols, then the singer's volume from the center speaker is not loud enough.

I'm guessing the signal being sent when the music programs are on is different than say a news program and my system somehow is not able to handle it well.
post #641 of 658 Old 05-23-2019, 04:13 PM

Yes it sounds like there is something funky with your source device. Check the settings.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
post #642 of 658 Old 05-26-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

What is plugged in to AV4? A computer? You may have the output volume too high.

How is the TV plugged into HDMI2 IN ... usually people listen to it using SPDIF (an AV or AUDIO IN) or HDMI ARC.

How the Center channel sounds depends upon the audio content coming in. Is if Dolby Digital, 2.0 channel with Surround encoded? Read the manual, 7ch stereo mixes anything to stereo and then plays through all the speakers; I believe the Center gets a sum of Left and Right. If you want to “separate out” the singer to the Center speaker, try Sur Decode (Dolby, or DTS).

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
post #643 of 658 Old 05-30-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
What is plugged in to AV4? A computer? You may have the output volume too high.

How is the TV plugged into HDMI2 IN ... usually people listen to it using SPDIF (an AV or AUDIO IN) or HDMI ARC.

How the Center channel sounds depends upon the audio content coming in. Is if Dolby Digital, 2.0 channel with Surround encoded? Read the manual, 7ch stereo mixes anything to stereo and then plays through all the speakers; I believe the Center gets a sum of Left and Right. If you want to “separate out” the singer to the Center speaker, try Sur Decode (Dolby, or DTS).
AV4 is the input being used by my TV for the Smart TV function (like watching Netflix or Youtube).

Most everything sounds fine except any music programs like American Idol or Voice as the singer's voice gets drowned by the instrumental music which forces me to raise the volume higher.

Thanks for the reply.
post #644 of 658 Old 06-02-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
AV4 is the input being used by my TV for the Smart TV function (like watching Netflix or Youtube).

Most everything sounds fine except any music programs like American Idol or Voice as the singer's voice gets drowned by the instrumental music which forces me to raise the volume higher....
Okay, you're confusing your terms. Sounds like the TV is connected to HDMI 2 OUT, which is enabled for HDMI-ARC, and you're listening to content from the TV via ARC (which maps to AV4 by default). HDMI 2 OUT is not the same as HDMI 2 (IN).

Speaking in broad terms, if you've run YPAO -25dB should be about right for listening. Anything that's louder, you can attenuate by using the input volume trim. As far as the singer being "drowned out" by the orchestra, that could be the mix of the content, or you need to run YPAO again to get the center speaker dialed in properly.

post #645 of 658 Old 06-10-2019, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
No sound through ARC (yamaha receiver RX-V479)

Hi, I am trying to find a solution to this problem.
I have a Yamaha receiver RX-V479 with 4 speakers (small sides L+R, center channel and subwoofer) connected to a 65 LG smart TV (2018, from Costco). also a Blue-Ray and PS4 connected with HDMI to the yamaha.

All components work good and connections are good but for some reason I can't get audio via ARC from the TV when using the AMAZON prime or NETFLIX apps (the rest of the apps, like Sling TV, You Tube or Live TV (antenna) are fine) I was able to hear audio through ARC only with the show MYTHBUSTERS on AMAZON prime in stereo (R L on the screen of the receiver). Looks to me that there is issues with any other configuration but I have seen the receiver show (R C L) and have the three speakers work on the sling app.

Receiver turns on automatically but there is no audio. I thought that this random issue could be related to and old HDMI cable, but today I upgraded to a FULL HDMI 2.0 compliant (SecurOmax) and nothing. I also upgraded all firmware and apps on TV, receiver and blu-ray. I tried different settings on the received, trial and error, but there is no sound. the new HDMI cable is going from the ARC labeled HDMI on the TV to the HDMI OUT (HDCP2.0 ARC) on the receiver. Then the blue ray goes (HDMI) to the HDMI 1 (BD/DVD) input on the receiver. Settings on the receiver HDMI settings are as follow and I believe correct:
HDMI CONTROL "on"
TV AUDIO INPUT "AV2"
ARC "on"

Finally the TV audio is set to "HDMI ARC"
When I turn the TV on, the receiver powers on and the Blu-ray as well AND the tv proceeds to show the Blue ray on the screen! (which is not affected by the audio issue).
So...
Why does the Blu-ray turns on by itself and along the receiver when turning the TV (which I don't want off course, I want only to wake the receiver!)? I see the LG shows BD with a line to RECEIVER when selecting HDMI 2 on the screen so the LG "sees" the blu-ray.
Why does the Blu-ray menu or movie shows up on the TV when turning the TV on and without selecting it! (and on the receiver as well)?
Why does the Blu-ray have sound and not the apps from the TV (netflix or amazon or anything)!
any ideas?
Thanks a lot!
A
post #646 of 658 Old 10-14-2019, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Question ! Phase: Reverse (for subwoofer)

While playing Chemical Brothers Come with Us from Amazon HD, the volume suddenly muted off. I tried to unmute it through both the Amazon and Yamaha remotes, and manually, but nothing changes. Turned everything off and back on, still the same. Went into the Speaker Manual Setup and saw under Subwoofer, Use, an exclamation point over my subwoofer. The message below said !Phase: Reverse.

Unplugged and Replugged the cable for the subwoofer and AVR, no changes.

Any suggestion on how to get back the audio? I will disconnect the subwoofer but as I said, no changes.
post #647 of 658 Old 10-14-2019, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by natchie View Post
While playing Chemical Brothers Come with Us from Amazon HD, the volume suddenly muted off. I tried to unmute it through both the Amazon and Yamaha remotes, and manually, but nothing changes. Turned everything off and back on, still the same. Went into the Speaker Manual Setup and saw under Subwoofer, Use, an exclamation point over my subwoofer. The message below said !Phase: Reverse.

Unplugged and Replugged the cable for the subwoofer and AVR, no changes.

Any suggestion on how to get back the audio? I will disconnect the subwoofer but as I said, no changes.
AVR working NOW.

Hmm, after having unplugged power from AVR, Prime box , TV, all is well. Weird moment.. ALL is GOOD now
post #648 of 658 Old 10-14-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Check your wiring. If the wiring is secure (e.g. kids or pets haven't been messing about with it), could be a sign of something going bad.
natchie likes this.

post #649 of 658 Old 10-14-2019, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgostoMortal View Post
Hi, I am trying to find a solution to this problem.
I have a Yamaha receiver RX-V479 with 4 speakers (small sides L+R, center channel and subwoofer) connected to a 65 LG smart TV (2018, from Costco). also a Blue-Ray and PS4 connected with HDMI to the yamaha.

All components work good and connections are good but for some reason I can't get audio via ARC from the TV when using the AMAZON prime or NETFLIX apps (the rest of the apps, like Sling TV, You Tube or Live TV (antenna) are fine) I was able to hear audio through ARC only with the show MYTHBUSTERS on AMAZON prime in stereo (R L on the screen of the receiver). Looks to me that there is issues with any other configuration but I have seen the receiver show (R C L) and have the three speakers work on the sling app.

Receiver turns on automatically but there is no audio. I thought that this random issue could be related to and old HDMI cable, but today I upgraded to a FULL HDMI 2.0 compliant (SecurOmax) and nothing. I also upgraded all firmware and apps on TV, receiver and blu-ray. I tried different settings on the received, trial and error, but there is no sound. the new HDMI cable is going from the ARC labeled HDMI on the TV to the HDMI OUT (HDCP2.0 ARC) on the receiver. Then the blue ray goes (HDMI) to the HDMI 1 (BD/DVD) input on the receiver. Settings on the receiver HDMI settings are as follow and I believe correct:
HDMI CONTROL "on"
TV AUDIO INPUT "AV2"
ARC "on"

Finally the TV audio is set to "HDMI ARC"
When I turn the TV on, the receiver powers on and the Blu-ray as well AND the tv proceeds to show the Blue ray on the screen! (which is not affected by the audio issue).
So...
Why does the Blu-ray turns on by itself and along the receiver when turning the TV (which I don't want off course, I want only to wake the receiver!)? I see the LG shows BD with a line to RECEIVER when selecting HDMI 2 on the screen so the LG "sees" the blu-ray.
Why does the Blu-ray menu or movie shows up on the TV when turning the TV on and without selecting it! (and on the receiver as well)?
Why does the Blu-ray have sound and not the apps from the TV (netflix or amazon or anything)!
any ideas?
Thanks a lot!

A
You probably have HDMI CEC enabled on your Blu Ray player. Turn it off. Then it won't turn on and switch inputs when the TV is powered on.

As far as Prime and Netflix audio not working except for Mythbusters which is in stereo, your Yamaha may not be able to handle Dolby Digital + which is being sent from the LG Smart TV to the Yamaha AVR. Either that or the LG TV has trouble sending out a DD+ signal via ARC.

Might want to check the audio output settings on the TV. Is it a LG OLED or plain LED?

Afro GT

Last edited by afrogt; 10-14-2019 at 06:11 PM.
post #650 of 658 Old 10-14-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
You probably have HDMI CEC enabled on your Blu Ray player. Turn it off. Then it won't turn on and switch inputs when the TV is powered on.

As far as Prime and Netflix audio not working except for Mythbusters which is in stereo, your Yamaha may not be able to handle Dolby Digital + which is being sent from the LG Smart TV to the Yamaha AVR. Either that or the LG TV has trouble sending out a DD+ signal via ARC.

Might want to check the audio output settings on the TV. Is it a LG OLED or plain LED?
Thanks for your response. This is an LED LG TV. You see this is 2019...things suppose to work, but they won't. The whole ARC thing is extremely volatile, flimsy and unreliable. I just want to get sound to the AVR and control it with either 2 remotes (tv and AVR) or just one (Tv). You read the whole manual on the three things (LG tv, Yamaha AVR, Sony Blu-ray and PS4) and it doesn't work, you even call Yamaha (they said my AVR model 479 "may not work well with the TV" ??? so the magical word "upgrade" starts to show up. No thanks. Man analog audio was so much easy, direct and simple.
post #651 of 658 Old 10-15-2019, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
you could connect an optical cable from the TV to AVR for smart app audio. It's way more reliable and stable than ARC.

you only have a 5.1 receiver so you won't be getting Dolby Atmos decoding anyway.
AgostoMortal likes this.

Afro GT
post #652 of 658 Old 10-15-2019, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The RX-V775 supports Dolby Digital+ (confirmed) so the 779 most surely would. My Samsung TV seemingly must transcode DD+ to DD and the Netflix app had audio dropouts, I finally gave up on Samsung and moved to an Apple TV and never looked back. My fine fellow user is correct, using TOSlink or coax digital audio (S/PDIF) over HDMI-ARC is usually problem-free, particularly if you don't need Dolby Atmos encoded into DD+.
AgostoMortal likes this.

post #653 of 658 Old 10-16-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
The RX-V775 supports Dolby Digital+ (confirmed) so the 779 most surely would. My Samsung TV seemingly must transcode DD+ to DD and the Netflix app had audio dropouts, I finally gave up on Samsung and moved to an Apple TV and never looked back. My fine fellow user is correct, using TOSlink or coax digital audio (S/PDIF) over HDMI-ARC is usually problem-free, particularly if you don't need Dolby Atmos encoded into DD+.
Thank you guys for the responses, yes that is what I ended up doing when the ARC did not work, Optical cable. works great.
I don't know what Dolby Atmos or DD+ so surely I don't "need" it. I am happy with "good sound out of every source, into AVR. and using the 2.1 speakers + center channel to help dialogues in movies.
A
post #654 of 658 Old 10-16-2019, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you're only running a 3.1 system (Left, Center, Right, subwoofer), you don't need Dolby Atmos, which directs sounds to overhead speakers. 5.1, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, you don't need Atmos. Only when you graduate to 5.1.x, 7.1.x will you want to reconsider.

post #655 of 658 Old 01-14-2020, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb0007 View Post
Hey, Boomer,

I purchased the "same" receiver (the TSR-7790 that Yamaha says is the same as the 779) a couple of months ago at A4L, too.

I AM DELIGHTED with the purchase, and the value I think that the receiver offers. Warning: I am a bit on the "Scottish" side of "thrifty" .

While my answer is necessarily somewhat vague (not a lot of detail mentioned in your post), I have had a number of receivers in my time, and am always impressed by the results I get w/ Yamaha (said, even though I have 2 Onkyo receivers that I enjoy greatly).

GLW your decision.
Hello from Russia! can you help me to change wallpaper on my rx-v779 receiver? I try to find any information about it for long long time. please please please
post #656 of 658 Old 01-14-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_m33 View Post
Hello from Russia! can you help me to change wallpaper on my rx-v779 receiver?
Not sure if this helps but on my different Yamaha, a TSR-7810, I select this on the remote control:

setup,
function,
"display set",
enter

I get two options here: "piano" or "gray"

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
post #657 of 658 Old 01-14-2020, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Not sure if this helps but on my different Yamaha, a TSR-7810, I select this on the remote control:

I get two options here: "piano" or "gray"
I have the same options. but I find here information about repack and changing the firmware for another model of the receiver, maybe someone knows how to repack with own picture our firmware
post #658 of 658 Old 01-14-2020, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_m33 View Post
Hello from Russia! can you help me to change wallpaper on my rx-v779 receiver? I try to find any information about it for long long time. please please please
lord_m33,

Re your question, I am sorry that I am unable to help. I gave my receiver away . . . .

Jim
St. Louis, MO area
AVRs: Denon AVR-X4400H, Onkyo TX-NR1030, Denon AVR-X3400H, Onkyo TX-NR646
Speakers: BIC America LH6-LCR and FH-65B, Polk RTi6, Infinity Primus P362, Klipsch KSF-C5
Subs: Polk PSW505 x 2, Klipsch Synergy Sub-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
freezing , RX-V779 , tsr-7790 , unresponsive , yamaha tsr-7790

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page