MARANTZ SR7010 owners - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 59Likes

post #271 of 319 Old 10-02-2018, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Exclamation Dolby Vision

Update is available! https://marantz.custhelp.com/app/ans...s-%26-pre-amps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 319 Old 10-05-2018, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwinc View Post
Yes, I went through the approximately 45 minute upgrade process last night. I was able to get my Oppo UDP-203 to pass DV successfully through the Marantz to my display, but it was a little dicey. It took a couple attempts with my Star Wars: The Last Jedi UHD. I hope there aren't continual handshake problems.
post #273 of 319 Old 01-25-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 420
fellas,

im taking the pluge into the 11 channel realm! But I need some clarity as I have never done a external amp/avr setup.

I have searched, and this is what I have gathered (please correct me)

The AWG on the RCA cables do not matter??

And the speaker wire still goes to the receiver and never the amp correct? The amp only connects to the AVR?

If someone could post a pic of the avr wired up to the amp I would appreciate it, I googled but cant seem to find a good example.

Video: 75X940E/60E8000 Plasma (Formerly; 78JS9500/58c8000/75hu8550/78ju7500) BD Player: OPPO UDP-203
Audio: Marantz 7010 / SVS PB-13 Ultra / Klipsch RF-7ii RC-64ii Polk M70's IC-5800 (5.1.4)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 319 Old 01-25-2019, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 730 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22433 Post(s)
Liked: 12202
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmercer3 View Post
fellas,

im taking the pluge into the 11 channel realm! But I need some clarity as I have never done a external amp/avr setup.

I have searched, and this is what I have gathered (please correct me)

The AWG on the RCA cables do not matter??

And the speaker wire still goes to the receiver and never the amp correct? The amp only connects to the AVR?

If someone could post a pic of the avr wired up to the amp I would appreciate it, I googled but cant seem to find a good example.
The SR7010 can only power 9CH so if you're connecting an external amp to expand to 11CH, then those extra 2 speakers will have to be connected to the external amp.
post #275 of 319 Old 01-25-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The SR7010 can only power 9CH so if you're connecting an external amp to expand to 11CH, then those extra 2 speakers will have to be connected to the external amp.
thank you, I assumed the speakers still went to the avr and just got power sent to the avr via the amp... learned something new today lol thanks!

Video: 75X940E/60E8000 Plasma (Formerly; 78JS9500/58c8000/75hu8550/78ju7500) BD Player: OPPO UDP-203
Audio: Marantz 7010 / SVS PB-13 Ultra / Klipsch RF-7ii RC-64ii Polk M70's IC-5800 (5.1.4)
post #276 of 319 Old 04-06-2019, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Anyone here with experience using Marantz SR7010 in stereo?

Recently I purchased the Marantz SR7010 AVR with a pile of B&W 602 speakers for use in my upcoming HT. I've decided I can't stand the errors in my Sonos system anymore so I wanted to set the SR7010 up in stereo mode.

After an hour of jockeying with this thing I discovered that the FR/FL speaker terminals weren't supposed to be used in stereo-only config; I had to connect to the "Wide/Height2" terminals for some reason and switch to Zone 2. Otherwise the sub output never shuts off and the stereo pair gets very limited bass.

So everything is working despite taking way too many steps to do something so simple, and now I've reached my first real complaint: the bass is still pretty limited. These same B&W602 speakers, when driven by my Adcom, produce a very hard hitting, deep bass. I'm perfectly aware that the Marantz power is nowhere near a tuned GFA555, but its not even attempting the deep work, its just acting like its not there.

I've already discovered the EQ section and played around with that, but I wasn't happy with the results. Without doing a proper curve to my room I never mess with that stuff anyway. My previous stereo used a Hafler IRIS preamp, which some you may remember has no bass/treble controls, so unless I'm doing the Audyssey setup I'm going to leave that stuff alone. My IRIS/Adcom/2ch B&W 602 system had incredible extension and sounded extremely sweet. I'd hope to get something close with 30 year newer technology.

What can I do to bring the low end back to this system?
post #277 of 319 Old 04-06-2019, 12:25 PM

Update:

I ran the speaker setup wizard. After I deselected all the various height, surround and LFE options it finally figured out that I wanted 2ch stereo and asked me if I heard test sounds coming out of either channel. I didn't. Then I put the speakers back on the main L/R outputs and the sound came back.

In summary: The manual states that I have to hook the stereo pair to the outputs I mentioned in my first post and choose Zone 2. Now the AVR itself wants me to use the regular L/R outputs for stereo. Screwy.

And I still lack bass. Its maddening listening to Billy Cobham without getting the effect of the slap bass or the kick drums like I should be getting.
post #278 of 319 Old 04-07-2019, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 155
"After an hour of jockeying with this thing I discovered that the FR/FL speaker terminals weren't supposed to be used in stereo-only config;"

That is wrong. Start there. All receivers can play stereo front left and right, Marantz receivers most certainly do. Stereo, Pure Direct or stereo plus sub(s) depending on your selection.

Music, more music.
post #279 of 319 Old 04-07-2019, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 1850
System reset I would try...If it has one...
post #280 of 319 Old 04-07-2019, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8975 Post(s)
Liked: 6139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Sevin View Post
Update:

I ran the speaker setup wizard. After I deselected all the various height, surround and LFE options it finally figured out that I wanted 2ch stereo and asked me if I heard test sounds coming out of either channel. I didn't. Then I put the speakers back on the main L/R outputs and the sound came back.

In summary: The manual states that I have to hook the stereo pair to the outputs I mentioned in my first post and choose Zone 2. Now the AVR itself wants me to use the regular L/R outputs for stereo. Screwy.

And I still lack bass. Its maddening listening to Billy Cobham without getting the effect of the slap bass or the kick drums like I should be getting.
So you want to listen in 2.0 without the sub?

In the Manual Setup section of your AVR, just like in my Denon, is a who separate menu for 2 channel setup when listening in 2 channel in the direct mode.

It allows you to select for stereo playback large or small, (sounds like you want large for stereo), sub or no sub, (you'd select no sub), and if you choose to add the sub by saying "yes" you can set a different crossover for it vs that for multi channel playback.

It is a very nice feature of more expensive Denons and Marantz that few people know exists.

Starts on page 267 of your manual but to get there you need to get into the manual setup sub menu which is in the Speakers section of the 5 main sub menus, (Audio is first then Video, then Inputs then Speakers and finally Network), as shown on pages 198 and 199 of your manual.

https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im.../642SR7010.PDF

Geoff A. J., California
post #281 of 319 Old 04-07-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
So you want to listen in 2.0 without the sub?

In the Manual Setup section of your AVR, just like in my Denon, is a who separate menu for 2 channel setup when listening in 2 channel in the direct mode.

It allows you to select for stereo playback large or small, (sounds like you want large for stereo), sub or no sub, (you'd select no sub), and if you choose to add the sub by saying "yes" you can set a different crossover for it vs that for multi channel playback.

It is a very nice feature of more expensive Denons and Marantz that few people know exists.

Starts on page 267 of your manual but to get there you need to get into the manual setup sub menu which is in the Speakers section of the 5 main sub menus, (Audio is first then Video, then Inputs then Speakers and finally Network), as shown on pages 198 and 199 of your manual.

https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im.../642SR7010.PDF
Yes, I want to use this AVR in stereo mode, no sub.

Thanks for the info and the link, but thats where I was at in my last post. I've applied everything you mentioned but there is very little bass going to the speakers. Its not as bad as something like a blown woofer, but it sounds like a 2.1 system where the subwoofer was accidentally unplugged. The system seems to be sending the bass elsewhere. These speakers are extremely capable on the low end of the curve, and they're just not getting anything.
post #282 of 319 Old 04-08-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Update:

If you want to hear stereo in the main zone, connect the speakers to the Front L/R speaker posts.

If you want to hear stereo in Zone 2, connect the speakers to the Zone 2 speaker posts.

If you prefer not to use a sub, then in the Setup Wizard, you indicate "No sub" which will then set your speakers to LARGE, passing all audio + LFE to them.
post #283 of 319 Old 04-08-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Yes, I want to use this AVR in stereo mode, no sub.

Thanks for the info and the link, but thats where I was at in my last post. I've applied everything you mentioned but there is very little bass going to the speakers. Its not as bad as something like a blown woofer, but it sounds like a 2.1 system where the subwoofer was accidentally unplugged. The system seems to be sending the bass elsewhere. These speakers are extremely capable on the low end of the curve, and they're just not getting anything.
The 602s claim 52hz response so not that deep.

Maybe use these tones to see how low response goes before dropping off; an SPL meter or SPL app on your phone would be helpful.

https://www.audiocheck.net/testtones...rsts20-200.php

Geoff A. J., California
post #284 of 319 Old 04-08-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
If you want to hear stereo in the main zone, connect the speakers to the Front L/R speaker posts.

If you want to hear stereo in Zone 2, connect the speakers to the Zone 2 speaker posts.
According to the manual, for just a stereo pair the speakers need to be hooked to the Front/Wide/Height L/R terminals, Zone 2. That didn't work right.

I got into the setup wizard, which got me to use the main zone, regular Front L/R. That got me some decent, detailed sound.

Quote:
If you prefer not to use a sub, then in the Setup Wizard, you indicate "No sub" which will then set your speakers to LARGE, passing all audio + LFE to them.
I did that during the setup wizard as well as the whole zone and channel thing, and the bass just isn't there. I'm still trying to figure this out.
post #285 of 319 Old 04-08-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
The 602s claim 52hz response so not that deep.

Maybe use these tones to see how low response goes before dropping off; an SPL meter or SPL app on your phone would be helpful.

https://www.audiocheck.net/testtones...rsts20-200.php
I have a SoundCheck II CD here, but I appreciate the link to the test tones. Its always nice to expand the resource library.

This is not my first go around with the DM602. I have a pair of 602 S2 that have been my go-to for the past 20 years. I'm extremely familiar with the response, plus I've been using the same test material since 1984 so I know what this material should sound like coming through these speakers. The bass that I am used to out of these speakers just isn't happening with this AVR. Its like this thing is stuck on the idea of me having a sub in the chain, even though I have the LFE disabled - or at least I think I do.

I have a Velodyne 12 sitting in storage that I could pull out and use to solve the problem but theres just no reason. These speakers do everything I want - except produce bass when they're hooked to a Marantz AVR.

In my opinion, an AVR power supply at this price point ($2000) just can't produce the current necessary to drive these speakers on the low end, not when the receiver has to drive 9 channels. The DM602 are not exactly efficient, so they need power.
post #286 of 319 Old 04-09-2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
According to the manual, for just a stereo pair the speakers need to be hooked to the Front/Wide/Height L/R terminals, Zone 2. That didn't work right.

I got into the setup wizard, which got me to use the main zone, regular Front L/R. That got me some decent, detailed sound.

I did that during the setup wizard as well as the whole zone and channel thing, and the bass just isn't there. I'm still trying to figure this out.
When you want them configured as Zone 2 speakers (p. 78 Owner's Manual), that is correct, otherwise as noted by the images on p. 53 and p. 78 Owner's manual, main zone speakers are connected to the Front L/R.
post #287 of 319 Old 04-09-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:

In my opinion, an AVR power supply at this price point ($2000) just can't produce the current necessary to drive these speakers on the low end, not when the receiver has to drive 9 channels. The DM602 are not exactly efficient, so they need power.
Interesting.

My 8 year old Denon 1912 was far less money back in the day and has zero issue driving my towers to satisfying extension when played in 2.0.

In fact despite having a Velodyne DD15 as my sub I listen in 2.0.

But they are 89db efficient.

Here are the actual measured performance numbers for your AVR:

Test Bench
Audio: This graph shows the SR7010’s left channel, from CD input to speaker output with two channels driving 8-ohm loads. Measurements for THD+noise, crosstalk, signal-to-noise ratio, and analog/digital frequency response were all within expected performance parameters. Full details available at soundandvision.com.—MJP

0.1% THD 1.0% THD
2 Channels Continuously Driven, 8-Ohm Loads 128.7 watts 168.8 watts
2 Channels Continuously Driven, 4-Ohm Loads 201.7 watts 235.3 watts

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...oMWGZESsb2K.99

Geoff A. J., California
post #288 of 319 Old 04-09-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
When you want them configured as Zone 2 speakers (p. 78 Owner's Manual), that is correct, otherwise as noted by the images on p. 53 and p. 78 Owner's manual, main zone speakers are connected to the Front L/R.
On page 53 of my owner's manual, I have a room diagram and wiring diagram for "7.1 Channel Playback". On page 78 I have a diagram for "7.1-channel playback (MAIN ZONE) + 2-channel playback (ZONE2 or ZONE3). Neither page mentions running a stereo-only pair.

If you refer to page 50 (Speaker configuration and "Amp Assign" settings) you'll see the only Main Zone reference for "2-channel speakers for stereo playback" is cross-referenced with "9.1ch/2ch Front" and it points at p75 "Exclusive 9.1-channel playback + 2-channel playback speakers".

On p75 we're told that for a stereo pair in the Main Zone, we're to hook up not to FR and FL (which is obviously too logical for Marantz) but to FR' and FL'. I couldn't find any reference in the manual to what that meant, but by the terminal diagram shown on p75, those apostrophe connections go to "FRONT WIDE/HEIGHT2" R+L terminals.

And thats why I hooked up to those terminals to begin with, because the manual told me to do that. When it didn't work, and I went into the setup wizard, that thing told me to hook up to the regular FR and FL terminals. I got sound but the bass is weak.

And so here I am.
post #289 of 319 Old 04-09-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Interesting.

My 8 year old Denon 1912 was far less money back in the day and has zero issue driving my towers to satisfying extension when played in 2.0.

In fact despite having a Velodyne DD15 as my sub I listen in 2.0.

But they are 89db efficient.

Here are the actual measured performance numbers for your AVR:

Test Bench
Audio: This graph shows the SR7010’s left channel, from CD input to speaker output with two channels driving 8-ohm loads. Measurements for THD+noise, crosstalk, signal-to-noise ratio, and analog/digital frequency response were all within expected performance parameters. Full details available at soundandvision.com.—MJP

0.1% THD 1.0% THD
2 Channels Continuously Driven, 8-Ohm Loads 128.7 watts 168.8 watts
2 Channels Continuously Driven, 4-Ohm Loads 201.7 watts 235.3 watts

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...oMWGZESsb2K.99
There's specs, and then there's results. Show me the specs all day but until I get results there's either a component issue or this thing can't do the job. Its quite possible that there is some kind of EQ setting that needs to go away, but I have no idea where I might find that. The manual is all about hooking up dozens of speakers in hundreds of ways but there is practically no trouble shooting or exploration of the settings.

I don't know which way this is going but its not looking good for the Marantz right now.

I'm going to pull my other pair of 602s out of storage this weekend and see how they do with this AVR. Since I have a baseline to judge them by - my Adcom GFA555 and a whole host of source material - I should be able to make a quick determination of whether this unit is going to stay here long term or go up for sale.
post #290 of 319 Old 04-09-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
On page 53 of my owner's manual, I have a room diagram and wiring diagram for "7.1 Channel Playback". On page 78 I have a diagram for "7.1-channel playback (MAIN ZONE) + 2-channel playback (ZONE2 or ZONE3). Neither page mentions running a stereo-only pair.

If you refer to page 50 (Speaker configuration and "Amp Assign" settings) you'll see the only Main Zone reference for "2-channel speakers for stereo playback" is cross-referenced with "9.1ch/2ch Front" and it points at p75 "Exclusive 9.1-channel playback + 2-channel playback speakers".

On p75 we're told that for a stereo pair in the Main Zone, we're to hook up not to FR and FL (which is obviously too logical for Marantz) but to FR' and FL'. I couldn't find any reference in the manual to what that meant, but by the terminal diagram shown on p75, those apostrophe connections go to "FRONT WIDE/HEIGHT2" R+L terminals.

And thats why I hooked up to those terminals to begin with, because the manual told me to do that. When it didn't work, and I went into the setup wizard, that thing told me to hook up to the regular FR and FL terminals. I got sound but the bass is weak.

And so here I am.
Any 7CH AVR model, regardless of brand, can do 2CH stereo playback by simply connecting the speakers to the Front L/R speaker posts.
post #291 of 319 Old 04-10-2019, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, fellow forumers. I planned to buy 7010 but checked messages here and can't decide. Maybe better to buy 7011?
https://helptochoose.com/compare-av-receivers/sr7011

Come as you are.
post #292 of 319 Old 04-10-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Peterson View Post
Hi, fellow forumers. I planned to buy 7010 but checked messages here and can't decide. Maybe better to buy 7011?
https://helptochoose.com/compare-av-receivers/sr7011

The SR7011 features HEOS but lost Web Control. You need to decide which model best meets your feature/input/output/budget requirements.
post #293 of 319 Old 04-10-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
There's specs, and then there's results. Show me the specs all day but until I get results there's either a component issue or this thing can't do the job. Its quite possible that there is some kind of EQ setting that needs to go away, but I have no idea where I might find that. The manual is all about hooking up dozens of speakers in hundreds of ways but there is practically no trouble shooting or exploration of the settings.

I don't know which way this is going but its not looking good for the Marantz right now.

I'm going to pull my other pair of 602s out of storage this weekend and see how they do with this AVR. Since I have a baseline to judge them by - my Adcom GFA555 and a whole host of source material - I should be able to make a quick determination of whether this unit is going to stay here long term or go up for sale.
The Marantz does have pre outs so you can use the Adcom to power them if you prefer.

Geoff A. J., California
post #294 of 319 Old 04-13-2019, 02:54 PM

Todays update:

I've gotten the SR7010 to send some bass to the B&W 602s.

I went through the setup again, and I found that afterwards the Amp Assign menu had changed. Previously I was given a choice between 5.1/2ch, 7.1/2ch and 9.1/2ch. The manual said to select 9.1/2ch and go from there. After going through setup I found there was now a 9.1 option added, where it wasn't previously. Selecting that got full range sound to the 602s.

The sound, while above average, is nowhere near as silky as the same speakers with the Adcom GFA555. Drum hits and bass/guitar slap don't have the same attack or shape, and vocals are quite nice but have a little bit of hollowness, sort of like someone singing near an open bucket.

I still have to put the system through Audyssey calibration. It seems sort of a waste of effort since this is not the final configuration nor the room I'll have the AVR in, but I'll do it before I give a final report.

No backlight on the remote that I can find, so thats my major aggravation for the time being.
post #295 of 319 Old 04-13-2019, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Todays update:

I've gotten the SR7010 to send some bass to the B&W 602s.

I went through the setup again, and I found that afterwards the Amp Assign menu had changed. Previously I was given a choice between 5.1/2ch, 7.1/2ch and 9.1/2ch. The manual said to select 9.1/2ch and go from there. After going through setup I found there was now a 9.1 option added, where it wasn't previously. Selecting that got full range sound to the 602s.

The sound, while above average, is nowhere near as silky as the same speakers with the Adcom GFA555. Drum hits and bass/guitar slap don't have the same attack or shape, and vocals are quite nice but have a little bit of hollowness, sort of like someone singing near an open bucket.

I still have to put the system through Audyssey calibration. It seems sort of a waste of effort since this is not the final configuration nor the room I'll have the AVR in, but I'll do it before I give a final report.

No backlight on the remote that I can find, so thats my major aggravation for the time being.
The SR7010 should have come with an RC026SR where the backlight button is on the side of the remote (not the top) on the right about 1/3 of the way down. If you got the unit used it is possible that someone just provided a cheaper non backlit remote. The backlit versions are quite a bit more expensive (~35-40 as replacements vs 65-70 for the backlit version) vs .

The 9.1 option is only available when you choose "11 speakers" or something like that in the amp assign. Both the "amp assign" and speaker config have to be setup to fully configure it.

-Rich
Ellis Sevin likes this.

Quad Marantz AVR 9.2.(4+2) Atmos/DTS:X using Dual sr7010's + Dual scAtmos nr1403's
Marantz MM8003 150W/ch Amplifier Driving (L/C/R/SL/SR/SBL/SBR)
HTD Speakers L3 Tower L/R, L3 Center, Dual 12" L3 Subs, L2 Tower SL/SR, L2 Bkshlf SBL/SBR, Flat Panel WL/WR, Angled 6.5" In Ceiling FH/RH, 8" In Ceiling TM
Epson 5040UB Faux-K/3D with 106" Multi-Format Screen.
post #296 of 319 Old 04-13-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb6435 View Post
The SR7010 should have come with an RC026SR where the backlight button is on the side of the remote (not the top) on the right about 1/3 of the way down.

The 9.1 option is only available when you choose "11 speakers" or something like that in the amp assign. Both the "amp assign" and speaker config have to be setup to fully configure it.
Thanks for the info on the backlight. I never noticed it, due to the way I hold the remote. I wish it was brighter but it should help.

I know what you're talking about regarding the 11 speaker selection. There is a place in the setup that asks how many speaker channels are being used. Choice are 13, 11, 10 or less. Or something like that. I did exactly the same steps this time as I did the first time, yet I got different results. I guess thats the exact opposite of insanity?
post #297 of 319 Old 04-14-2019, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

None of those other settings, 5.1, 7.1, 11.1 should have anything to do with sending the full range of sound to your front left and right in stereo. The only settings that should effect bass getting to the L/R are in sub set up; speaker large/small, crossover, LFE or LFE+Main and for an analog signal bass Db + or -.

Music, more music.
post #298 of 319 Old 04-14-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altpensacola View Post
None of those other settings, 5.1, 7.1, 11.1 should have anything to do with sending the full range of sound to your front left and right in stereo. The only settings that should effect bass getting to the L/R are in sub set up; speaker large/small, crossover, LFE or LFE+Main and for an analog signal bass Db + or -.
To the contrary, I believe that by switching from 9.1/2ch to just 9.1 was what fixed it. Otherwise, the system attempted to send a stereo signal to zone 2, via two of the height channels. Even though that was precisely what the manual said to do, it just didn't work. Mistakes in manuals aren't exactly uncommon.

That was the only setting I had changed. Speakers were set to Large, crossover was at 80Hz - the lowest setting I could find (and it should have been 0Hz since there was no sub) - LFE+Main was enabled. I have no idea what you mean by "analog signal bass Db + or -" so I couldn't review that setting and since I hadn't seen it in any menu, its pretty doubtful I had changed it.

Despite Marantz (and Denon) making classy, capable gear, they still make these things too hard to handle by far. There should have been an easy setup button - a single click/menu selection - that enabled 2.0 along with all that entailed. No sub, no crossover, simply "I have two speakers and I'll get into home theater later on, just please give me the best possible 2ch sound". Then it could segue into a speaker placement wizard and finally the XT32 calibration. Instead, we're given three different decoding options along with a bunch of modifiers, plus choices for placement of up to 15 different speakers.

Last edited by Ellis Sevin; 04-14-2019 at 07:00 AM.
post #299 of 319 Old 04-14-2019, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

The 9.1/2 setting changes 2 of the internal amps from getting a height signal (pseudo) for your main room surround to a 2 channel stereo for another room set of speakers. With that set up then you have to turn on Zone 2 and tell it what source to play, for example my Marantz is set for 7.1 in main room and zone 2 amps for stereo, So I can have the surround going in the theater room playing a DVD and Zone 2 speakers in the bedroom playing a CD.
I can also select STEREO in the theater room and then turn on Zone 2 and have the same source playing in the bedroom. In that setting STEREO in the theater room is only the Left and right Speakers and sub, of if I selected Large for the Left Right - no sub.
If you have your speakers set to large there is NO crossover setting, the only signal a sub gets at that point is the .1 of a movie/concert mix.
What I meant by Analog Bass is that if the receiver is not getting a digital Dolby or DTS signal from a source set up, like a turntable, then the options for Bass and Treble are activated and you can adjust their decibels just like you used to do on stereo receivers.

These many setting are confusing but the bottom line is if you want to play a stereo signal without sub you can certainly do it left and right speakers only.
The easiest option on the Marantz is to activate Pure Direct by button on remote or faceplate under the door.

Music, more music.
post #300 of 319 Old 05-12-2019, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1577 Post(s)
Liked: 701
It's been a while since I've had to make any major adjustments within my SR7010, so have forgotten some of the tips and tricks. But I'm adding a bit more audio via Tidal and Roon, whereas I've been pretty much movie-only in setup. I do use Audyssey XT32, and am pretty happy with the results watching movies. I have a 7.1.4 setup. So:

1. I want to make some adjustments to certain Inputs (e.g. lowering subwoofer level, or possibly going to straight 2-channel mode), while leaving my Blu-ray and other Input options unchanged. How do I make such audio, or even video or other tweaks, for *One* Input only, while leaving the others as they were?

I think I know how, but would appreciate confirmation to avoid wasting a lot of time experimenting.

2. When I do select 2-channel mode, to use only Front L/R, I assume that the Audyssey adjustments are still in use, which is what I want, and that the only way to change this is via the Audyssey menu, with the option to bypass Front L/R. Is this correct?

Thanks!

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
sr7010

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version