UE22 Error Master Thread-Pioneer, are you listening? - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 551Likes

post #811 of 1863 Old 01-26-2017, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Yes. It's been a while, but now I try again. Last time, I did not find this issue.
This voltage is in many spots, supplies many ICs.
IC9520 I believe is the VR IC. I have replaced it and still no change. Page #88.
If I cut the trace, I get 3.04V out of the IC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1863 Old 01-26-2017, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibimakai View Post
Yes. It's been a while, but now I try again. Last time, I did not find this issue.
This voltage is in many spots, supplies many ICs.
IC9520 I believe is the VR IC. I have replaced it and still no change. Page #88.
If I cut the trace, I get 3.04V out of the IC.
That's main +3.3V supply for the board. There must be a component get shorted. Use your hand to check for abnormal temperature of any component that gets this power rail. Then try to separate each component from this rail to narrow the problem.

Sent from my SGP771 using Tapatalk

XBR55X700D/Optoma UHD60
Denon AVR-X8500H
14 Gigaworks S750 Cubes
Acoustimass 15 Series 2 Sub
Too much to list here :)
post #813 of 1863 Old 01-26-2017, 12:25 PM

It would be nice a flir camera. Thanks, I will look for something that gets hot. Can I just pour alcohol on the board, and see which component dries up the fastest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #814 of 1863 Old 01-26-2017, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 451
I have an SC-55 (which I bought as a refurb in 2012), and on 1/13 was offered the one-time repair or purchase of an SC-85 $549.00 (refurb) or an SC-95 $599.00 (refurb).

I elected to have mine repaired, because I did not think $599 for the SC-95 was a good enough deal with only a 90-day warranty. If the refurb came with a 1-year warranty I might have bitten.

Over the holidays Fry's had a one day sale on the SC-95 for $800 out the door, only $200 more, and that would be brand new and come with a 2-year warranty, if I am not mistaken. Not sure exactly when Pioneer went from 2 to 3 year warranty on the Elites.

The other reason I did not elect to upgrade to the SC-95 is because someone who did take the upgrade offer said their unit came back stamped with large letters (on the S/N sticker on the back? I can't recall) that said refurb only 90 day warranty or something to that effect. That would make it tougher to resell if I wanted to get rid of it when I find a deal on an SC-LX701.

My refurb SC-55 lasted 4 years and 9 months before it failed, and after I get mine repaired, I will be satisfied if I can squeeze a couple of more years out of it. I don't expect to get much more than 7-8 years out of an electronic device like a TV or an AVR these days.

I believe stuff is not built to last, but is relatively cheaper than the stuff built 2-3 decades ago. I prefer it that way. Cheaper entry point and simply upgrade with newer features more often.

My unit was picked up by FedEx yesterday on January 25 to go back to Pioneer. I will update the thread as to how long it takes to repair and ship back to me.

I really can't complain, but am grateful, since Onkyo/Pioneer is agreeing to repair my unit that was bought refurbished in the first place, and failed after 4 years and 9 months, well out of warranty.

Since they are under no obligation to fix these units which are well out of warranty, but have agreed to anyway, I consider this honorable and I will have no qualms about considering the purchase of a Pioneer in the future, since I like their AVR's with the D-class amps.

In fact, one of the reasons I did not opt to upgrade to the SC-95 they offered me is because I have my eye on the SC-LX701, which looks perfect for me. The new Elites come with a 3-year warranty it appears, which is not too shabby.
VideoGrabber likes this.
post #815 of 1863 Old 01-26-2017, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Also, considering how much considerable expense it must be for Onkyo to ship our units back and forth for repair, plus paying the technicians to repair them, plus the extra hours paid in the customer service department, I hardly think this was a deliberate planned obsolescence conspiracy. I think this will end up costing them more money. Things like this happen from time to time with all the major manufacturers.
post #816 of 1863 Old 01-26-2017, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh Nguyen View Post
I just want to see if you want to try once more but I realized remove and put it back would be a pain.
So it's up to you @voopy .
I have no issues sending it back in. It is better than simply junking it.
I'll look for your address in my PM's again and send it off next week.

Is there any possibility of changing out that bad chip for example?
post #817 of 1863 Old 01-26-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLED4UNME View Post
Also, considering how much considerable expense it must be for Onkyo to ship our units back and forth for repair, plus paying the technicians to repair them, plus the extra hours paid in the customer service department, I hardly think this was a deliberate planned obsolescence conspiracy. I think this will end up costing them more money. Things like this happen from time to time with all the major manufacturers.
I didn't call it a conspiracy, I said it is odd that so many electronics last only 3-4 years these days which leads me to believe there is a built in life.

I would rather pay more and get something that lasts as long as *I* want it to, decide for myself when it's time to upgrade, buy another one and not be forced into it.
post #818 of 1863 Old 01-26-2017, 02:56 PM

If you keep them too long, you will be missing on new features.
post #819 of 1863 Old 01-26-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibimakai View Post
If you keep them too long, you will be missing on new features.
Personally, I don't much care for tons of features. I just want what I buy to last until I decide it's time to get something new.

As AV, computers, communications, you name it, converges all together, I don't need everything I buy to do the same things as everything else does. I want an AV receiver to have inputs, outputs, switch cleanly between them and have good quality audio.

I don't care for ipod connections and countless other useless things I never really use anyhow.

But, I hear you .
post #820 of 1863 Old 01-27-2017, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLED4UNME View Post
I have an SC-55 (which I bought as a refurb in 2012), and on 1/13 was offered the one-time repair or purchase of an SC-85 $549.00 (refurb) or an SC-95 $599.00 (refurb).

I elected to have mine repaired, because I did not think $599 for the SC-95 was a good enough deal with only a 90-day warranty. If the refurb came with a 1-year warranty I might have bitten.

Over the holidays Fry's had a one day sale on the SC-95 for $800 out the door, only $200 more, and that would be brand new and come with a 2-year warranty, if I am not mistaken. Not sure exactly when Pioneer went from 2 to 3 year warranty on the Elites.

The other reason I did not elect to upgrade to the SC-95 is because someone who did take the upgrade offer said their unit came back stamped with large letters (on the S/N sticker on the back? I can't recall) that said refurb only 90 day warranty or something to that effect. That would make it tougher to resell if I wanted to get rid of it when I find a deal on an SC-LX701.

My refurb SC-55 lasted 4 years and 9 months before it failed, and after I get mine repaired, I will be satisfied if I can squeeze a couple of more years out of it. I don't expect to get much more than 7-8 years out of an electronic device like a TV or an AVR these days.

I believe stuff is not built to last, but is relatively cheaper than the stuff built 2-3 decades ago. I prefer it that way. Cheaper entry point and simply upgrade with newer features more often.

My unit was picked up by FedEx yesterday on January 25 to go back to Pioneer. I will update the thread as to how long it takes to repair and ship back to me.

I really can't complain, but am grateful, since Onkyo/Pioneer is agreeing to repair my unit that was bought refurbished in the first place, and failed after 4 years and 9 months, well out of warranty.

Since they are under no obligation to fix these units which are well out of warranty, but have agreed to anyway, I consider this honorable and I will have no qualms about considering the purchase of a Pioneer in the future, since I like their AVR's with the D-class amps.

In fact, one of the reasons I did not opt to upgrade to the SC-95 they offered me is because I have my eye on the SC-LX701, which looks perfect for me. The new Elites come with a 3-year warranty it appears, which is not too shabby.
This is my first post, great Forum.

I have a VSX-53 that displayed the UE22 two months back. It would take 20 minutes for the sound to come on. If I take the cover off heat the chip up and turned it on there would be no UE22 and the sound would work right away. Of note, my unit is not in an ideal location ventilation wise and has high usage 10+ hours a day, purchased back in December 2011. I had figured that because of high usage and poor ventilation it was probably my fault. But this forum shows otherwise.

Thanks for the information here I reached out for the offer. They got back within 24hrs on the initial request (1/23) and another 24hrs with their offer:

One time repair or these available units at these discounted prices, SC-81 for $349.00 or SC-91 for $449.00.

I am going with the one time repair as I already replaced the unit with an SC-LX801, but plan to use the VSX-53 in another room. I was extremely happy with the Pioneer Elite up to this point so I was willing to take a chance. I am making sure the SC-LX801 is ventilated properly though.
post #821 of 1863 Old 01-27-2017, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked: 411
As a refresher... The UE22 issue is not Pioneer's fault. TI issued a directive stating that the TI DSP Pioneer used had a manufacturing defect which caused it to degenerate after so many hours (I don't remember the number)... Unfortunately, the number of hours is the equivalent of two years use for most people.

Pioneer stopped using that DSP in future models, but TI and Pioneer would not step up to the plate and offer a resolution for the issue. My guess is that by the time TI recognized the problem, Pioneer had already started making newer models and Pioneer would only offer repairs for those units still under warranty (which is moot because they would replace the bad boards with the same board with the same bad DSP).

To redesign and manufacture new boards with a "fixed" DSP would be cost prohibitive for Pioneer for the numerous models involved for each affected year. Remember, Pioneer was losing a lot of money, forcing them to sell off their television lines and eventually selling 50% of the company to Onkyo. They were in no financial shape to tackle the task.

As someone else mentioned, Pioneer is not the only manufacturer with reliability issues... Onkyo (I had two Onkyo TOTL receivers with bad HDMI boards), Sony, Yamaha and Denon all had some model lines with defective parts. Some issues could be resolved with firmware updates but hardware issues are not easily fixed. With new models coming out every year, it is impossible to predict how a model line will turn out.

Even though I own a SC-67 (which BTW is still running with no issues, go figure), I really like the Pioneers. Knowing the history of this issue, I still went out and bought the Pioneer SC-97 and I do not regret it. I understand the anger some buyers have especially paying top dollar for the products, but s**t happens to all of us sooner or later.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #822 of 1863 Old 01-27-2017, 12:42 PM

Anh , I have the board back out and will be sending it next week.

Thanks for looking at it again.
post #823 of 1863 Old 01-27-2017, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Jon S, you make a good point. The current replacement program is a fair one too. Either have the old one fixed or replace it with a refurbished one.
post #824 of 1863 Old 01-27-2017, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Why were some offered refurbs and some not? It was just incentive for me to get something else. Not Pioneerkyo.
post #825 of 1863 Old 01-27-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidblinD View Post
Why were some offered refurbs and some not? It was just incentive for me to get something else. Not Pioneerkyo.
Because O&P just let their authorized service centers decided what they can offer at their stock availability.
It is not the same official recall program as Onkyo currently has for their product lines around the same time.

XBR55X700D/Optoma UHD60
Denon AVR-X8500H
14 Gigaworks S750 Cubes
post #826 of 1863 Old 01-27-2017, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Just for the record, let me add I am extraordinarily happy with my SC-99 (and my Elite speakers). I am brand new to home theater (long time audiophile). I had no idea AVRs could produce such wonderful sound.
post #827 of 1863 Old 01-28-2017, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Hi Jon S,

Thanks for your input on this thread. Your posts for our issue are very informative and helpful for other affected and non-affected (yet) owners.

Its great that you still have your SC-67 running with no issues. Can I ask if you put heat sinks on the 2 TI DSP chips? And how is your usage in terms of years of ownership and does it see moderate or heavy use?

Thanks
post #828 of 1863 Old 01-28-2017, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
Hi Jon S,

Thanks for your input on this thread. Your posts for our issue are very informative and helpful for other affected and non-affected (yet) owners.

Its great that you still have your SC-67 running with no issues. Can I ask if you put heat sinks on the 2 TI DSP chips? And how is your usage in terms of years of ownership and does it see moderate or heavy use?

Thanks
Yes... i did put heat sinks on all chips that seemed to have heat issues when i bought it, I learned my lesson when i bought the Onkyo TX-NR905 and TX-NR906 which had thermal issues as well which fried all the caps on the HDMI boards... I use the Pioneer receiver roughly 20 hours a week since I bought the SC-67, about 5-6 years ago? heat sinks are a cheap investment in my opinion... Although self-adhesive heat sinks are getting harder to find...

Although i have to admit that I have cut back the SC-67 use since i bought the a couple of SC-97s...
Edllguy likes this.

post #829 of 1863 Old 01-29-2017, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I found this thread why looking for my UE22 issue. I had no idea this was such a common issue. Over the past few months the sound was cutting in and out and the video was also going black. I phoned pioneer which directed me to an Onkyo service number. After dealing with them for a while I was given an extended warranty number and I shipped it out to be fixed last week.

My unit is a SC-1227-k, purchased from futureshop. Manufactured date, April 2012. I have not be offered any replacement option, I did have to pay for shipping to the regional authorized service dealer and they are supposed to fix it and ship it back.
post #830 of 1863 Old 01-29-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesiss View Post
I found this thread why looking for my UE22 issue. I had no idea this was such a common issue. Over the past few months the sound was cutting in and out and the video was also going black. I phoned pioneer which directed me to an Onkyo service number. After dealing with them for a while I was given an extended warranty number and I shipped it out to be fixed last week.

My unit is a SC-1227-k, purchased from futureshop. Manufactured date, April 2012. I have not be offered any replacement option, I did have to pay for shipping to the regional authorized service dealer and they are supposed to fix it and ship it back.
Another story to tell that O&P have no direct control to handle the service.

Sent from my F3113 using Tapatalk

XBR55X700D/Optoma UHD60
Denon AVR-X8500H
14 Gigaworks S750 Cubes
post #831 of 1863 Old 01-29-2017, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesiss View Post

Hello Nemesiss,

Since your unit was purchased from futureshop you must be from Canada...can you confirm this?

If so this is good news as it would validate that Onkyo/Pioneer Canada is finally offering Canadians a one time extended warranty (repair only) on Pioneer receivers affected with UE-22 Error.

Canada is a smaller market so a replacement option similar to the offer in the United States for affected receivers would not work here in Canada I'm going to speculate. However, Canadians should take notice of this new development.

Stay tuned for more information...
post #832 of 1863 Old 01-29-2017, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I see that there have been a lot of new AVS Forum members signing up here lately due to their issue with UE-22 Error on their Pioneer receivers.

This is good and I want to encourage more member sign ups who have been impacted and affected. We need to continue to build our case of this manufacturing defect in our Pioneer receivers. The number of posts and descriptions of owner experiences with UE-22 Error validates that this problem is wide spread and we need the reports to be documented here. I believe that this thread will hit the 2000 post count and beyond.

Thanks to everyone for your efforts to document the UE-22 Error issue.
Goalline and vavan like this.
post #833 of 1863 Old 01-29-2017, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Hello Nemesiss,

Since your unit was purchased from futureshop you must be from Canada...can you confirm this?

If so this is good news as it would validate that Onkyo/Pioneer Canada is finally offering Canadians a one time extended warranty (repair only) on Pioneer receivers affected with UE-22 Error.

Canada is a smaller market so a replacement option similar to the offer in the United States for affected receivers would not work here in Canada I'm going to speculate. However, Canadians should take notice of this new development.

Stay tuned for more information...
Yes, I purchased it from futureshop in Canada. I suppose that would explain why I wasn't offered the replacement option. The struggle I did have while dealing with the support was they wanted the original purchase receipt. I couldn't find it, I only had the original packaging. I tried to get a copy from bestbuy who took over for futureshop but they didn't have records of futureshop transactions they could trace.

I let the service support know about this and they were able to go ahead with the warranty work regardless, thankfully.
Edllguy likes this.
post #834 of 1863 Old 01-30-2017, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
For Jon S above. You are 100% correct except for one tiny detail: I didn't buy an hdmi board from ti. I bought a receiver from Pioneer. When the AC Delco, Brembo, or Bendix parts go bad in the braking system on your car where do you take it? NOT to them.
Goalline likes this.

Last edited by VoidblinD; 01-30-2017 at 08:51 AM.
post #835 of 1863 Old 01-30-2017, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
VSX 1021K for VSX-1130-K

VSX 1021K got a UE 22 error. I contacted Onkyo and they offered me a trade for
VSX-1130-K for $212.00USD (refurbished) that includes a 90 day warranty.

I have a 4k TV now so I could make use of the new model.

Is it a good offer? Should I be worried about it breaking after the 90 days? Any way to extend the warranty.
post #836 of 1863 Old 01-30-2017, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthepeople View Post
VSX 1021K got a UE 22 error. I contacted Onkyo and they offered me a trade for
VSX-1130-K for $212.00USD (refurbished) that includes a 90 day warranty.

I have a 4k TV now so I could make use of the new model.

Is it a good offer? Should I be worried about it breaking after the 90 days? Any way to extend the warranty.
I would suggest that you go for it. The offer won't change. To expect a warranty enhancement under this new program I think is unrealistic and I wouldn't count on an after market warranty as it doesn't meet the criteria to be valid if something goes wrong.
post #837 of 1863 Old 01-30-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
I would suggest that you go for it. The offer won't change. To expect a warranty enhancement under this new program I think is unrealistic and I wouldn't count on an after market warranty as it doesn't meet the criteria to be valid if something goes wrong.
Onkyo offers with their recall as a coupon to buy a new one and customers have full warranty.

XBR55X700D/Optoma UHD60
Denon AVR-X8500H
14 Gigaworks S750 Cubes
post #838 of 1863 Old 01-31-2017, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidblinD View Post
For Jon S above. You are 100% correct except for one tiny detail: I didn't buy an hdmi board from ti. I bought a receiver from Pioneer. When the AC Delco, Brembo, or Bendix parts go bad in the braking system on your car where do you take it? NOT to them.
True... But as I mentioned, once the warranty expired, Pioneer was not obliged to repair the unit for free... if your car breaks down after the warranty expires, you go and have fixed at your expense.

post #839 of 1863 Old 01-31-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
True... But as I mentioned, once the warranty expired, Pioneer was not obliged to repair the unit for free... if your car breaks down after the warranty expires, you go and have fixed at your expense.
But if there is a recall for your car of the broken part or related to it, you get it repaired for free.

Goalline and voopy like this.

XBR55X700D/Optoma UHD60
Denon AVR-X8500H
14 Gigaworks S750 Cubes
post #840 of 1863 Old 01-31-2017, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 78
E.g The manufacturing defect in Toyota airbags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page