UE22 Error Master Thread-Pioneer, are you listening? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 522Likes

post #61 of 1760 Old 09-24-2015, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Tried all fixes....

I have tried all of the work arounds everyone else has done to get another week or so out of their units. Nothing has worked for me. My unit powers and everything seems normal except audio, it still pushes video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1760 Old 09-29-2015, 03:52 PM

Response from Pioneer

Just for ****s and giggles I emailed Pioneer support. I told them the problem with the receiver and what I have tried to fix the problem. I got the response I expected, "Base on your diagnosis, I suggest to get the receiver to a nearest service center.

Thank You,
Raymund
Home Theater Product Support"
post #63 of 1760 Old 10-02-2015, 03:50 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by givmeadvil View Post
Just for ****s and giggles I emailed Pioneer support. I told them the problem with the receiver and what I have tried to fix the problem. I got the response I expected, "Base on your diagnosis, I suggest to get the receiver to a nearest service center.

Thank You,
Raymund
Home Theater Product Support"
Ha!! Raymond was my customer service rep too when I sent pioneer customer support an inquisition on this issue. He recommended taking to an authorized pioneer repair shop as well, to the tune of $500. He advised I call 1-800-421-1404 option 4, option 2. The kind lady on the end said there was nothing she could do since it has been out of warranty for so long, and exceptions for this issue have been denied. She put me on a list to speak to a manager. Obviously, this is a manufacturer defect. What's next? Class action?
givmeadvil and Cataractes like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 1760 Old 10-02-2015, 05:07 PM

Hell I don't expect anything to last forever, and I'm not looking for a "free fix". But when there's an issue with an item all built around the same time and the same problem I'd say there is a "defect". We all realize these units have age on them, if they won't fix them for free at least make it a reasonable price to fix it.
Edllguy likes this.
post #65 of 1760 Old 10-03-2015, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by givmeadvil View Post
Hell I don't expect anything to last forever, and I'm not looking for a "free fix". But when there's an issue with an item all built around the same time and the same problem I'd say there is a "defect". We all realize these units have age on them, if they won't fix them for free at least make it a reasonable price to fix it.
Reviewing this entire thread from start to finish, it shouts "MANUFACTURER DEFECT"

The UE22 Error follows a consistent pattern of failure for Pioneer receivers made in 2011 and 2012. No specific model or month of production/manufacturing date has any relationship with this issue in terms of isolating the problem to a particular production run. It has happened to owners who have had their receivers both enclosed and out in the open with plenty of airflow or ventilation. You see that confirmed in this thread.

Although I still do think that the issue is heat related combined with a faulty design implementation I believe some owners may have escaped the EU22 Error as forum member cswiger states:

"having good ventilation (or active cooling if needed) from the beginning could make a big difference in how likely you are to experience a problem." This could explain why the EU22 Error failure has not happened with all owners. Just a theory though.

You have to wonder what design change Pioneer quietly slipped in for 2013 models and forward that eliminated the problem. I would like to see an SC-77/SC-79 opened up and compared directly to an open SC-55/SC57 or SC-67/SC-68 that points to a change in design/build.

I'm going to assume that Pioneer spent a lot research and time to find a winning design, after the discontinuation of the "Ice Receivers". Remember, Pioneer waited 2 years before releasing these new models in 2011 and at an affordable price point that could please the end consumer while also make money for Pioneer. However, they probably did not field test the new design long enough to identify that there actually was a problem after long term use and/or different usage scenarios.

I just hope that Onkyo/Pioneer will consider a "Customer Care Program" for owners of 2011/2012 model years or at the very least an affordable "repair program".

Please continue to report and document your receiver UE22 Error occurrences here so that we can build our case even stronger.

Thanks
givmeadvil and kmanglos like this.

Last edited by Edllguy; 10-08-2015 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Minor corrections.
post #66 of 1760 Old 10-03-2015, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Double Post Deleted

Last edited by Edllguy; 10-03-2015 at 06:22 PM.
post #67 of 1760 Old 10-06-2015, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Yeah, the enclosed space suggestion is a crock. I had mine in an open cabinet with 6 inches of room above it. That is easily within manufacturing recommendations.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Edllguy and givmeadvil like this.
post #68 of 1760 Old 10-09-2015, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
VSX-53 with UE22 Error & Won't Update Firmware

MFD September 2012

Was working fine until 10/05/15

Came home from work and UE22 flashing on receiver.

Trying to hit the DTS chip with the heat gun. No luck so far.

Not a happy camper as we rely on this receiver to run all 3 zones in the house (living, kitchen and dining)

Not purchasing another Pioneer product ever again and steering everyone else away as well.
post #69 of 1760 Old 10-10-2015, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Out of curiosity, what models are affected by this issue?

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #70 of 1760 Old 10-10-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
Out of curiosity, what models are affected by this issue?
Mine is, or was, VSX-1021K
I don't know all model's involved, but there are a few different ones

Last edited by givmeadvil; 10-10-2015 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Adding
post #71 of 1760 Old 10-11-2015, 02:36 AM

I have a VSX-2021K Manufactured Feb 2012 SN LBM005212ER, and also had the dreaded UE22 and no audio, as I had invited a room full of folks over to watch rugby on my big screen. Embarrassing for me but not great PR for pioneer!!

Tried to auto-update software, but only gets to 20% before bombing out. I cannot even find any firmware on the pioneer support site to try a USB update. I want to try this first before aiming at heatgun at the solution.

I have a good mate who can normally swap chips over ... is there any replacement chips available ?

Any idea where the firmware resides - cannot find any link

I will the see how I get on with pioneer customer services and it seems there is a common fault here - so they need to admit this as under European law, they are responsible for consumer electronics for 6 years, especially if you can prove it is a common fault and not as a result of misuse. My unit has been kept in a fully ventilated environment and is only used once a week on average.

Thanks Folks
post #72 of 1760 Old 10-11-2015, 02:36 AM

I have a VSX-2021K Manufactured Feb 2012 SN LBM005212ER, and also had the dreaded UE22 and no audio, as I had invited a room full of folks over to watch rugby on my big screen. Embarrassing for me but not great PR for pioneer!!

Tried to auto-update software, but only gets to 20% before bombing out. I cannot even find any firmware on the pioneer support site to try a USB update. I want to try this first before aiming at heatgun at the solution.

I have a good mate who can normally swap chips over ... is there any replacement chips available ?

Any idea where the firmware resides - cannot find any link

I will the see how I get on with pioneer customer services and it seems there is a common fault here - so they need to admit this as under European law, they are responsible for consumer electronics for 6 years, especially if you can prove it is a common fault and not as a result of misuse. My unit has been kept in a fully ventilated environment and is only used once a week on average.

Thanks Folks
post #73 of 1760 Old 10-12-2015, 08:43 PM

SC 67 here.
post #74 of 1760 Old 10-12-2015, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
SC-67 ue22 error. Has been dead for months and I have a warranty from BB. After my sammy 8500 died I don't care, I have warranty on that to.

I love this site

Last edited by BigOne88; 10-15-2015 at 01:51 PM.
post #75 of 1760 Old 10-17-2015, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 394
hmm.. i also have a SC-67... That would be a concern.... i bought mine February, a few months after it was released...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #76 of 1760 Old 10-20-2015, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Mine is an vsx 2021 k, pioneer won´t be the way to go anymore... i asked for the replacement board and were asking an hilarious more than 500 € , it cost me less that, i think im going to use it as an amp only solution or something maybe i make an buttkicker system or something for my sim rig... look for a surround processor or audio card for my pc.
post #77 of 1760 Old 10-20-2015, 08:19 PM

Liked: 13
Finally a call back from a manager, nothing they can do

I e-mailed Russ Johnston (do a linkedin search) about my complaint after waiting two weeks for a manager to call me back. I got a call today with the same rhetoric: Sorry it's out of warranty, there is nothing we can do.

Here's Russ' e-mail address if you'd like to voice your opinion as well.
russ.johnston"at"pioneerelectronics.com

Sorry, I can't post links yet.
givmeadvil likes this.
post #78 of 1760 Old 10-21-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsaxman View Post
I e-mailed Russ Johnston (do a linkedin search) about my complaint after waiting two weeks for a manager to call me back. I got a call today with the same rhetoric: Sorry it's out of warranty, there is nothing we can do.

Thanks Russ. I will definitely send an e-mail.
post #79 of 1760 Old 10-22-2015, 05:48 PM

UE 22 error Pioneer VSX-60

Purchased our Pioneer VSX-60 from ABT electronics in Glenview, IL November of 2012 for $600. After reading through these posts, I decided not to try the update or any of the fixes as they seem to be worthless. Nonetheless, I am extremely grateful that you have set up this thread, allowing us to see others in the same situation and building a case for Pioneer/Onkyo to recognize our issue.

We are in the early stages of the problem, can take several minutes to more than 10 plus minutes to get sound to work with our Samsung TV even though we see the picture. The error message UE22 flashes on our Pioneer receiver display. Sometimes, if we switch from Tuner then back to SAT/TV the sound comes on HOWEVER the error message continues to flash on the receiver display. We realized after reading many web pages, not just this one, that the problem is widespread and will likely get worse. We are not techy so I do not plan to open the unit and try for the heat fix.

After several emails with Pioneer, pointing out to them that this is a known problem, their answer was the same as the rest of the folks posting here, you are out of warranty and therefore we can not do anything for you. I plan to show this thread to ABT to see if they can offer any assistance. They do a tremendous amount of business in the Chicago area and might have some pull. We purchased an entire new house of appliances from them in 2003 and are hoping that this will help persuade them to help us. I would expect that there are others following this thread that may have the same relationship with ABT (or similar) and I am encouraging you to attempt to leverage this relationship with your dealer/electronic shop, to ask them to speak to Onkyo/Pioneer as they have the power.

I will also contact Onkyo to see what advice or support they will offer based on the warranty extension mentioned here in this thread (I have an Onkyo receiver that is probably 12 years old with NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER in another spot in my house). I am so angry about Pioneer's blanket response to my emails, I have a good mind to bad mouth them on Twitter, Facebook and any other social media if I do not get satisfaction. I think it is absolutely unconscionable that Pioneer does not stand behind it's products when hard working consumers have paid what I consider an outrageous amount of money for a product that has not lasted more than 3 years. It shows a lack of mutual respect to consumers who put their trust in their product.

Thank you for giving us this forum to document the issue.
Edllguy likes this.
post #80 of 1760 Old 10-23-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:

Just sent email to Russ, we will see what comes of it
post #81 of 1760 Old 10-24-2015, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi all,
Update on my Elite VSX 60...
After getting the unit back from my Pioneer Authorized repair facility I connected my receiver and put it back on the shelf.
It did not work and just flashed the UE22 that everyone has.
I also noticed that when I have UE22 and no sound the "Program Indicators" (upper left: L-C-R-SR-SL) also flash
as if the unit cannot lock on to a program input.
In the frequent times that the receiver actually has Audio the UE22 still flashes but the "Program Indicators" are no longer flashing and are on solid.
Then when I lose Audio the "Program Indicators" go back to flashing as well.

Back to my story...
I enabled the "Pass Thru" for all of my HDMI inputs and when I turned it off the small blue light lit (upper right) on the front of the display and I could see my DirecTV on my TV and the Audio also came from my TV's speakers.
To have my computer show on my TV I would turn on the receiver and switch to HDMI 6.
Wait a bit and turn it off letting the Pass Thru kick in.
So at this point it was an expensive but dead HDMI Switcher for my DirecTV, Blu-Ray And HTPC.

Then a strange thing happened, after switching to HDMI 4 for DTV the audio was magically working again with UE22 still flashing, Program Indicators" were not flashing as I stated above and I had perfect Audio for 2 days, I did not shut off the receiver in fear that I would lose it.
Then as mysteriously as the audio started it stopped and I had to turn off the receiver to enable Pass Thru and I was back to listening through my TV's speakers..

It has now been that way for the last few months...
All I have is my TV and then poof the receiver will work for a few days and then die again!
Like it is teasing me!
And When it works the Audio / Surround is as perfect as when I first got it!

This is the craziest thing I have ever seen in electronics, usually it works or it does not but I have never seen this.
Even with "Cold Solder" joints they will usually crackle when working or hit the object and not go from perfectly good to perfectly bad.

That's all I got.
Asking for Best Buy Gift Certificates for Christmas and maybe I'll finally get a new receiver .
When it works it's perfect...So damn frustrating and I wish that I could figure out once and for all what makes it do this!

Take care everyone,

Bud
post #82 of 1760 Old 10-24-2015, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

I have compiled a list of receivers that have been listed in this post with UE22:

Elite SC-LX85

Elite SC-50

Elite SC-55

Elite SC-57

Elite SC-63

Elite SC-67

Elite SC-1222-K

Elite SC-1527-K

Elite VSX 52

Elite VSX 53

Elite VSX 60

VSX 1021-K

VSX 1121-K

VSX 2021-K

Bud

Last edited by Bud B; 10-28-2015 at 12:20 AM.
post #83 of 1760 Old 10-26-2015, 06:27 PM

Just sent an e-mail to Russ.
givmeadvil likes this.
post #84 of 1760 Old 10-27-2015, 10:07 AM

Ue22

I just got this error a few days ago on my SC-1522-K. Tried doing a factory reset and updating firmware, error would return within 24 hours. My unit was just under 2 years old, fortunately costco gave me a full cash refund.
post #85 of 1760 Old 10-27-2015, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:

Check with your State's Department of Consumer Affairs. Manufacturer's of consumer electronics products are usually required to provide parts|support (not necessarily free!) for a certain number of years beyond the [model year end?] sales period for the product--perhaps for as many as 7 years, regardless of the warranty period. If it was an interstate purchase--"by mail"--there may also be applicable Federal consumer protection law.

_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #86 of 1760 Old 10-27-2015, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B View Post
I have compiled a list of receivers that have been listed in this post with UE22:

Elite SC-LX85

Elite SC-50

Elite SC-55

Elite SC-63

Elite SC-67

Elite SC-1222-K

Elite SC-1527-K

Elite VSX 52

Elite VSX 53

Elite VSX 60

VSX 1021-K

VSX 1121-K

VSX 2021-K

Bud

Add SC-57 to this list. Purchased March 2012 and died with UE22 in December 2014...
post #87 of 1760 Old 10-28-2015, 01:20 AM
Advanced Member

Hi all,
So after everything is all said and done and we all know that Pioneer couldn't give a hoot about any of us or UE22.
Who would purchase another Pioneer product?

My answer is NOT ME!
If I cannot trust in any longevity of a company's product past it's warranty and there is no customer support if there is a manufacturing flaw,
How can I possibly rationalize investing my money and faith on another one of their products?!

Stick a Fork in Me I'm Done with Pioneer!

The real 64 thousand dollar question is: "Who DO I now trust for the replacement of my Elite VSX 60 UE22 receiver.

Bud B

Last edited by Bud B; 10-28-2015 at 01:23 AM.
post #88 of 1760 Old 10-28-2015, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B View Post
Hi all,
So after everything is all said and done and we all know that Pioneer couldn't give a hoot about any of us or UE22.
Who would purchase another Pioneer product?

My answer is NOT ME!
If I cannot trust in any longevity of a company's product past it's warranty and there is no customer support if there is a manufacturing flaw,
How can I possibly rationalize investing my money and faith on another one of their products?!

Stick a Fork in Me I'm Done with Pioneer!

The real 64 thousand dollar question is: "Who DO I now trust for the replacement of my Elite VSX 60 UE22 receiver.

Bud B
I just sold my Pioneer SC-68 and bought a Marantz. I'm officially done with pioneer and I've had all their flagship models for about 20 years.
Goalline likes this.

JVC DLA-RS1000, 120″ EluneVision Reference Studio AudioWeave 2.35:1 CinemaScope screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, Anthem MCA 525, Anthem MCA 225, Anthem PVA-4, Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers x4, Paradigm Prestige 95F, Paradigm Prestige 15B x4, Paradigm Prestige 55C, Paradigm Signature Sub 1, Panasonic UDP820 UHD player, OPPO 203 UHD player, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner, AC Infinity AIRCOM X4.
post #89 of 1760 Old 10-28-2015, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased an SC 68 from Best Buy in September 2012. I began to have audio problems about one week ago. The UE22 error message started yesterday. The only way I can get sound on the SAT/CBL input is to change the input to Tuner which does have sound and then return to the SAT/CBL input which will now work. I use the Pure Direct setting.

Can a firmware update fix this UE22 error and lack of sound issue.? I had a no sound problem with an Onkyo Receiver that was fixed with a firmware update.

Derek
post #90 of 1760 Old 10-28-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekH View Post
I purchased an SC 68 from Best Buy in September 2012. I began to have audio problems about one week ago. The UE22 error message started yesterday. The only way I can get sound on the SAT/CBL input is to change the input to Tuner which does have sound and then return to the SAT/CBL input which will now work. I use the Pure Direct setting.

Can a firmware update fix this UE22 error and lack of sound issue.? I had a no sound problem with an Onkyo Receiver that was fixed with a firmware update.

Derek
Damn, it is almost as if this flaw was intentionally designed to fail just as the warranty was expiring. Very few have complained that their receivers failed before the warranty ran out. I was actually all set to sell my SC67 at the beginning of this year when my wife talked me out of it. I wanted to purchase the next flagship (SC99) as soon as it came out. My wife thought the SC67 would be better used as a secondary system. Some poor sap would have been stuck with this problem instead of me.

Now, I am trying to decide whether to go with the Denon 7200WA or one of the Anthems. I suppose Yammy is also in play.
kmanglos likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page