UE22 Error Master Thread-Pioneer, are you listening? - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 550Likes

post #1171 of 1850 Old 11-14-2017, 05:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh Nguyen View Post
It just came up from my mind that whether only Pioneer got this batch (unlikely though) or any other receiver manufacturers got the same batch. I haven't heard the same issue from others yet.

Sent from my SGP771 using Tapatalk
Wasn't Onkyo plagued with HDMI and or sound issues? I thought that is where the idea to "reflow" the DSP came from. It's been years since I first started looking for the issue and moved on to another box at the time.

There are probably 100 videos on YouTube if you search for "onkyo repair."

I'm guessing that other manufacturers did get the same dsp, but may have different firmware that limits results when you search for UE22 error.

Although, it is also possible that pioneer had a custom DSP designed for their own products. They definitely have the $$$ to commission TI for such a project.

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1850 Old 11-15-2017, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Got my unit back from Pioneer / Onkyo today, looking to hook it back up tonight and will report back. Quick turn around on this. Thanks for the instructions by the OP !
Edllguy likes this.
post #1173 of 1850 Old 11-19-2017, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I don't think I did this before but I would like to officially thank AVSForum member "nulland" for researching and finding the TI recall notice about the defective DSP chips in all Pioneer receivers made in 2011/2012. That notice was the missing link and verified and confirmed 100% the defect was real which eventually led to the new owners of Onkyo/Pioneer to help us with UE22-Error repair program (see post #1 ).

Thank you "nulland"

Ambassador for Toronto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1174 of 1850 Old 11-20-2017, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 504
So I opted for the repair on my VSX-53, I can't remember when now it's been awhile, maybe a year ago now or almost, anyway it's having issues!!!

So today we couldn't get connected to anything, no picture, maybe HDMI issue. I go to turn it off and it hangs, takes about 15 seconds to turn off, frozen in mean time. It finally turns off and then it won't turn back on, push button and nothing. I unplug, plug back in and nothing. Wait, repeat still nothing. Then it finally turns back on and same issue, won't connect to anything. Power down and same thing, takes awhile to power off, like it's frozen and won't turn back on.

So apparently the repair isn't a solid fix either, dead within a year, anyone else have this happen on a repair for the UE22? I would have done the refurb but the units they offered weren't a direct replacement for what I had and I could have just bought those at same cost out of pocket anyway.

edit: repaired in March.

This line intentionally left blank.

Last edited by tomtastic; 11-20-2017 at 11:02 PM.
post #1175 of 1850 Old 11-20-2017, 11:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So had it unplugged for awhile then powered it back up, it wouldn't power on, pushing button did nothing for awhile, tried remote nothing then it finally turned on, and then it started working like normal. HDMI's connected and audio ok, etc. Powered down and that was normal, not major delay like before and powered back up normal with one press of button.

Did a few power on/off attempts and they were normal again. If it didn't work this time I was going to do the factory reset but it started working normal so I didn't. Will keep an eye on it, not sure what happened with it. Was powered on when noticed it had no HDMI connection, powered down but major delay in shutting off and wouldn't power on, unplugging didn't fix, but would turn back on eventually like there was lag in response to power button, something haywire in the circuits maybe? Left unplugged for awhile didn't turn back on right away but when it did things returned to normal.

post #1176 of 1850 Old 11-21-2017, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
VSX-1021-K UE22 error

Hi all -

Thanks for all the support you guys provided through this thread. I am one of the (un)lucky ones with UE-22 error on my VSX-1021-K. I followed the instructions on the first post and got an email back from Onkyo today offering the free repair or a trade-in for VSX-1130-K for $212.00.

Any inputs on the VSX-1130-K? I was happy with the old one but wondering if $212 is a fair trade for a newer 2015 model. I searched the forum and it looks to be a good unit.

Thanks all!
post #1177 of 1850 Old 11-21-2017, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I also submitted the pictures and request and got an email the next day.
Hello,

You will have the option of getting a free repair, where we will send you a box and label or paying an additional price for a refurbished VSX-80 $199.00USD or VSX-90 $239.00USD.

Please let me know which option you would like to go with.

Since I bought an Onkyo Model: TX-NR656

last week which I will get tomorrow I chose a repair. So I will be selling it on Ebay I guess.
post #1178 of 1850 Old 11-23-2017, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
So had it unplugged for awhile then powered it back up, it wouldn't power on, pushing button did nothing for awhile, tried remote nothing then it finally turned on, and then it started working like normal. HDMI's connected and audio ok, etc. Powered down and that was normal, not major delay like before and powered back up normal with one press of button.

Did a few power on/off attempts and they were normal again. If it didn't work this time I was going to do the factory reset but it started working normal so I didn't. Will keep an eye on it, not sure what happened with it. Was powered on when noticed it had no HDMI connection, powered down but major delay in shutting off and wouldn't power on, unplugging didn't fix, but would turn back on eventually like there was lag in response to power button, something haywire in the circuits maybe? Left unplugged for awhile didn't turn back on right away but when it did things returned to normal.
Hello tomtastic, glad things are back to normal and that you are enjoying your VSX-53.

All the best.
post #1179 of 1850 Old 11-23-2017, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
mine was working ok, but every couple of hours I would get ue22 even after unplugging it and it was getting closer and closer together.
post #1180 of 1850 Old 11-25-2017, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just an update. Still a happy camper with the VSX-90 upgrade option I chose to replace my UE22 VSX-1121-K manufactured in Nov 2011 back in May 2017, over six years from purchase.

My advice to recent readers is to not set expectations of instant gratification, same day callbacks and such. Overall, my process took about two months, from start to finish. Everything moved along in the process exactly as was explained and expected.

That said, I'm sorry to hear that Brian A. has since left Pioneer/Onkyo and I wish him all the best in his current endeavor. The good news is that his leaving has created two jobs and that we now have Adam and Shanice taking over for Brian. Be mindful that they are learning in their new roles about this program and all of the variations of affected models, authorized sellers, manufacturing runs, in stock availability to offer upgrade models, logistics, etc.

Having patience, reasonable expectations, and an understanding attitude with the people that are helping you resolve your individual circumstances will do wonders for lowering everyone's stress, mostly yours. Especially if something doesn't go exactly perfectly smoothly.

Don't sweat the petty things in life. Pet the sweaty things instead.
Edllguy likes this.
post #1181 of 1850 Old 11-26-2017, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^Thanks Mike for the informative post.

I agree with you. I'm very grateful that Onkyo/Pioneer is supporting this program and we should be patient with the process and the employees that are implementing the process.

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1182 of 1850 Old 11-26-2017, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 15
All serial#'s are affected with UE22error? Getting a new SC67 cheap just wondering. Thanks

It is all about quality. That is the picture.
NEC XG-1352LC 8" CRT, 106" wide StudioTek 130 screen
post #1183 of 1850 Old 11-26-2017, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspianM View Post
All serial#'s are affected with UE22error? Getting a new SC67 cheap just wondering. Thanks
All Pioneer and Pioneer Elite receivers made in 2011/2012 are affected globally. All serial #'s are affected in this date range.

If your SC-67 is new with 0 hours, it will fail in 2-3 years of average use.

If you are getting it used say ebay for example I would ask the seller if they had the DSP chipset replaced since the original TI chipset are defective. If not I would not buy it unless you were willing to go through all the hassle described in post #1 .

A word of caution: some resellers are trying to unload these defective Pioneer receivers without disclosure about the verified defect. Please be cautious!

All the best.
kahlilj likes this.

Last edited by Edllguy; 12-07-2017 at 07:46 PM.
post #1184 of 1850 Old 11-28-2017, 12:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks. This one is manufactured in 2013 if means anything! I decided to look for something else.

It is all about quality. That is the picture.
NEC XG-1352LC 8" CRT, 106" wide StudioTek 130 screen
post #1185 of 1850 Old 12-01-2017, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The once a month reminder...

Continued from Post #1
Important Information relating to your UE22-Error claim

When submitting your claim through Onkyo ensure that you indicate that you want the correct main digital board installed that has the updated DSP chipset with the part number D810K013DZKB4 or D808K013DPTP4. The "D" Version. Verify this again with the service centre location that they installed the correct version before they send back your receiver.

If you receive back your receiver with DSP chipset D810K013BZKB4 ("B" Versions) and D808K013CPTP4 ("C" Versions) your receiver will fail again in 2-3 years. These chips were identified by TI as prone to premature degeneration or aging and were subsequently recalled.

Note: Lower end receiver models will have 1 DSP chip and higher end models will have 2 DSP chips.
atroph likes this.

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1186 of 1850 Old 12-02-2017, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
3 month update: I got the VSX-1131 a few days after my last post and got it hooked up. It's been working beautifully! Since it is not part of the normal upgrade route for the VSX-1122k let me give my 2 cents for those thinking of upgrading to the VSX-1130--DON'T! The implementation of ATMOS is flaky at best (will only support front ATMOS enabled speakers) and the setup is cumbersome. Stick with the repair! IF they will let you upgrade to the 1131 do it, it's a great unit (but be aware that it is HDCP 2.2 complient so you will have to upgrade all your HDMI cables as I did or there will be no video if you are connecting to a 4k tv). All In all I am pleased with the final results even if I did go though some unusual problems getting there. I guess I was just unlucky with my timing since it seems I was right in the middle of the change of Bryan being replaced by Adam and Shanice at Onkyo/Pioneer. However, they did come through for me in the end and it has restored my faith in them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehb224 View Post
The saga continues! The VSX1130K was defective out of the box. I called yesterday (Monday August 28, 2017) and spoke with Shanice, then someone in tech support, and then Adam who said they would send me a shipping label to return it later that day. That evening when I returned from work I had a shipping label for a DIFFERENT CUSTOMER and an ONKYO TNX646! This was sent to me by the Onkyo Order Dept. Supervisor. I started this process on July 9, 2017 and to date (August 29, 2017) the problem has not been resolved and I still do not have a working Receiver. I called back this morning and spoke again with Shanice. I read her the email with the shipping label I had received and then read my email reply where I basically documented my experience since starting this process. She agreed that my frustration at this point was justified andit was getting a bit ridiculous that I still did not have a working unit almost 2 months after starting this process. She put me on hold and talked to her superior. They are going to upgrade me to a VSX1131K which is one year newer (2016 model) because of all the problems I have had. They are supposed to send the shipping label today and once I get the unit to FEDEX and it is in the system they will ship out the new unit. I hope this is the end of it! One interesting thing that Shanice told me is that my 15 year old Elite VSXD811S that I still have can be traded in for a newer unit. I might look into that once I get this matter resolved to see what I can upgrade that unit to and how much it will cost. (Although, since she was not familiar with that unit and that it is 15 years old I suspect that it might not be upgradable.)

Don't know why things did not go smoothly for me. I hope others do not have to go through what I have been going through. Each time I have had to call I have been on the phone for about an hour or more, including hold times and I have had to call a at least 6 times or more since the process started back in july, in addition to emails.

For those that are starting this process be aware of a few things:
1. Bryan is no longer with the company (Both Adam and Shanice have told me this), you will most likely be dealing with Adam and Shanice. They are both easy to work with.
2. If you opt for the repair the warranty is 90 days, if you opt for the upgrade to a newer refurbished model the warranty is 1 year. (Adam and 2 others in tech support have told me this, even though the email form I had to sign when I returned my original unit stated that the refurbished unit they were sending had a 90 day warranty.)
3. Don't waste money on expedited shipping! IT seems their warehouse can't even send out a shipping notification until AFTER the unit is delivered and do not ship it out on the day you are told it will be shipped.
Edllguy likes this.
post #1187 of 1850 Old 12-02-2017, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Submitted my request for return today.
Was just gonna buy a new unit but why? Money is tight, might as well try to get a newer model at a huge discount.

I have the 1121K and got it from New Egg in Sept 2011. Sept of this year the error first popped up but it went away when I unplugged the receiver. Since then it has gotten worse to the point that it no longer works.
It was in my cabinet with about 2 feet of airflow above it and adequate space on the sides.
I will only get it repaired if they offer me something without 4K and DTS-X.
I was looking at a new Denon but if Pioneer/Onkyo can restore my faith, then I will stay.

The only drawback is I only paid $179 for this receiver. I got lucky one Saturday morning when 2 New Egg coupons overlapped and got $320 off...What a bargain!

Anyway, thank you OP for doing all the Leg work on this. It is much appreciated!

Joe
Edllguy likes this.

Arrive
Raise Hell
Leave
post #1188 of 1850 Old 12-05-2017, 07:12 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by syphon View Post
Update: Got my return box today, will ship tomorrow.
Quick update: Ended up sending it in much later, about 8 days ago. Got an E-mail today saying its been fixed and should be here Thursday. Will update when I test it.

post #1189 of 1850 Old 12-07-2017, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInNVa View Post
Submitted my request for return today.
Was just gonna buy a new unit but why? Money is tight, might as well try to get a newer model at a huge discount.

I have the 1121K and got it from New Egg in Sept 2011. Sept of this year the error first popped up but it went away when I unplugged the receiver. Since then it has gotten worse to the point that it no longer works.
It was in my cabinet with about 2 feet of airflow above it and adequate space on the sides.
I will only get it repaired if they offer me something without 4K and DTS-X.
I was looking at a new Denon but if Pioneer/Onkyo can restore my faith, then I will stay.

The only drawback is I only paid $179 for this receiver. I got lucky one Saturday morning when 2 New Egg coupons overlapped and got $320 off...What a bargain!

Anyway, thank you OP for doing all the Leg work on this. It is much appreciated!

Joe
I have the exact same receiver and purchased from Newegg about the same year. I thought of purchasing a new receiver thinking the DSPs and digital to analog converters would be better now than 2011 but opted for the repair. I still had the issue that the receiver would freeze and I would have to unplug all the HDMI cables to do a factory reset. I purchased a LG OLED TV a few weeks ago, replacing a an old Panasonic plasma and far have not had to reset. I FIOS cable box and Apple TV (not 4K) plugged directly into the TV and "ARC" audio return channel passing sound to the receiver. I turned on CIC so turning on the TV turns on the receiver and the TV remote controls volume.

I only have stereo sound from Mackie HR824 power studio monitors, but the sound is really good. I have been watching Dolby Atmos demos and watched the original Blade Runner movie on VUDU and wow the sound is amazing even with 2 speakers with DD+ sound. Some 4K music videos sounded amazing also.

This forum has been so informative and helpful over the years I have been reading it and I am really glad to be a part of it.

Blaine
post #1190 of 1850 Old 12-10-2017, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hello everyone, if you have received back your UE22-Error affected receiver, repaired, please let us know how things are going? Are you enjoying your repaired receiver with your favourite movies or music?

Please note that some owners have received back their repaired units and have run into problems. However, it was soon found out that it was not their repaired Pioneer receiver that was at issue but an incorrect set up.

I want to thank those that have reclarified their position and acknowledged that it was not their UE22-Error repaired Pioneer receiver that was at fault. Their issue was solved after self troubleshooting connections and all their hardware setup scenarios.

All the best.

Ambassador for Toronto

Last edited by Edllguy; 12-16-2017 at 07:46 AM.
post #1191 of 1850 Old 12-13-2017, 12:00 AM

Liked: 17
All set up and working. Thank you to the OP for creating the thread. Had I not found this, it would have become a bookend.
Edllguy likes this.

post #1192 of 1850 Old 12-13-2017, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello everyone. I am glad this thread is here. I just received an email from Parts that they will be sending me a box and label to return my SC-65. Can someone confirm if it is a free shipping return label? Also, I did not need to show my receipt for my unit which is a good thing since I purchased it from Ebay. Thanks for making this thread. It is very informative and useful.
Edllguy likes this.
post #1193 of 1850 Old 12-13-2017, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by manamal View Post
Hello everyone. I am glad this thread is here. I just received an email from Parts that they will be sending me a box and label to return my SC-65. Can someone confirm if it is a free shipping return label? Also, I did not need to show my receipt for my unit which is a good thing since I purchased it from Ebay. Thanks for making this thread. It is very informative and useful.
It is prepaid shipping label, so you don't have to pay for shipping back and forth.

Edllguy and manamal like this.

XBR55X700D/Optoma UHD60
Denon AVR-X8500H
14 Gigaworks S750 Cubes
Acoustimass 15 Series 2 Sub
Too much to list here :)
post #1194 of 1850 Old 12-16-2017, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Sent in my VSX-1126 and of course when they tested it wouldn't the receiver decide to behave. I don't know if it makes any difference as I never tested it but the shop said the receiver works fine on FM. Wouldn't that be bypassing the offending chip? It's been unplugged for some time so I have them letting it run. I know that given time the display will soon be flashing UE22 followed by the usual symptoms.

Last edited by BassLake; 12-16-2017 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Clarity
post #1195 of 1850 Old 12-16-2017, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassLake View Post
Sent in my VSX-1126 and of course when they tested it wouldn't the receiver decide to behave. I don't know if it makes any difference as I never tested it but the shop said the receiver works fine on FM. Wouldn't that be bypassing the offending chip? It's been unplugged for some time so I have them letting it run. I know that given time the display will soon be flashing UE22 followed by the usual symptoms.
Hello BassLake, that is a common symptom of events as you have described. FM works fine for now but everything else doesn't. The offending DSP chip is in its final stages of dying.

Also, a lot of affected owners cannot replicate UE22-Error on short notice because it was put in storage for a very long time and therefore when tested after nonuse, cannot replicate the error code.

I would insist that the repair shop keep it plugged in to let it it go through the final UE22-Error stages of dying before UE22-Error stays on permanently.

Note: I want to remind affected owners whenever UE22-Error occurs, do not delay, take a picture right away and do not delete it. It will help expedite your claim down the road as these defective Pioneer receivers never die suddenly and completely in a short window of time. They progressively and slowly fail and unfortunately giving affected owners a false sense of hope when really they will die a slow and complete failure death.

Ambassador for Toronto

Last edited by Edllguy; 12-16-2017 at 09:44 PM.
post #1196 of 1850 Old 12-16-2017, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No issues since the last freezing problem about a month ago, no freezing since then and no return of UE-22 since the repair last March.
Edllguy likes this.

post #1197 of 1850 Old 12-17-2017, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
[QUOTE=Edllguy;55332402]

I would insist that the repair shop keep it plugged in to let it it go through the final UE22-Error stages of dying before UE22-Error stays on permanently.

You're saying it will produce the error regardless of input if given enough time?
post #1198 of 1850 Old 12-17-2017, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

[quote=BassLake;55334428]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post

You're saying it will produce the error regardless of input if given enough time?

There is a good probability it will produce the error, however, I can't guarantee it. This thread relies on information posted here. Before I can say with certainty that XYZ will happen I usually rely on multiple reports from different sources posted in this thread. Then I can say with confidence that yes leaving it plugged in will reproduce the error code eventually. Right now it's theoretical but not absolute.

I heard that the repair centres know by other means to confirm if DSP chip is at fault. Again, I rely on reports posted here. However, they should take your word if you tell them you saw the UE22-Error code displayed before putting it in storage.

Keep us updated. All the best.

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1199 of 1850 Old 12-18-2017, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I don't want to go against all of you here however, this is not official recall from OEM so if your receivers are working at time of service, then it will likely to be returned without an offer.
So it has to be either UE22 message displayed or there is no sound coming from your receiver at all to have them serviced.

XBR55X700D/Optoma UHD60
Denon AVR-X8500H
14 Gigaworks S750 Cubes
Acoustimass 15 Series 2 Sub
Too much to list here :)
post #1200 of 1850 Old 12-18-2017, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
about to try and fix my brother's SC67 with same error. I was just wondering why nobody tried using flux when they attempted a reflow if the Texas instruments DTS chips? that seems to be the key to a successful reflow. I'll report my findings when I get the time to get to it. also, the chips appear to be smd, not BGA as suggested earlier in the thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page