UE22 Error Master Thread-Pioneer, are you listening? - Page 42 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 550Likes

post #1231 of 1853 Old 01-11-2018, 02:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just for information: Pioneer in europe takes no responsibility at all regarding this error, nor are they interested in offering a discount if I would like to replace my currently failing VSX-921 with a new Pioneer. I understand that I have a six year old product out side warranty, but I'm still disappointed when my problem is caused by a known error that seems to happen in great numbers. Needless to say I'm not interested in Pioneer/onkyo products anymore.

Luckily there are other brands
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1853 Old 01-11-2018, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pioneer receiver model/number: VSX-921-K
Build date (MFD: month & year): July 2011
Purchase date: Dec 2011
UE22 Error display date: Late Dec 2017
Receiver positioning/placement statement: On TV stand with plenty of air circulation around it.
Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up: Medium usage, average evening TV watching.
Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing: I first experienced intermittent and random loss of sound and the flashing of the UE22 initially, but the loss of sound and error became more frequent over the following days, to the point a week or two after the first symptoms the system will not output any sound and is constantly flashing the UE22 error. I've tried to factory reset (the system won't let this happen) and firmware update (the system says there is an update, but the update fails).

Have to say I'm very disappointed in Pioneer that the receiver has failed after only 6 years. I would have expected a product like this to last beyond it's technical usefulness.

I'm living in Ireland. I contacted Pioneer Europe via their complaints form on their website on the 7th January (4 days ago), but no reply from them yet.
post #1233 of 1853 Old 01-11-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambora View Post
Just for information: Pioneer in europe takes no responsibility at all regarding this error, nor are they interested in offering a discount if I would like to replace my currently failing VSX-921 with a new Pioneer.
This is very disappointing to hear, especially considering this appears to be a mass fatal fault that will occur in just a matter of time.

How did you contact them? I've tried their form on their European website, but still waiting on a reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1234 of 1853 Old 01-12-2018, 01:01 PM

Liked: 11
Hey guys,

Just wanted to give an update on my experience with the UE22 Error/Return situation. I received my box on or about 12/18 and dropped it off on 12/26 and now I am happy to say that I received my Pioneer Elite SC-65 yesterday 1/11/18 via FedEx and after hooking it back up it works perfectly. Oh boy did I miss ARC

Once again thanks to the creator of this thread and the people who contributed information for us to follow. It help a LOT!!!

Imagine life without the internet and helpful forums. OMG!

FYI: I did not have to provide a receipt nor did I have to state where my receiver was placed.

Thanks again.
post #1235 of 1853 Old 01-12-2018, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I got my SC-57 back today. It felt like it took no time. Works fine it seems at least when I powered it up.
Edllguy likes this.

2 ch room
Amp/DAC - Peachtree Nova 125
Speakers - Bowers and Wilkins CM6 S2 on B&W stands.
Desktop
Amp/Dac NAD D 3020
Speakers Bowers and Wilkins DM601S3
post #1236 of 1853 Old 01-13-2018, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 115
^^^ That's awesome dallastt. We hope you have hundreds/thousands of hours of continued enjoyment with your repaired SC-57. Please feel free to report back here in the future that your SC-57 is still performing well.

I also want to say that this is a community thread. I want to encourage other members to help those who are requesting guidance or advice.

It is nice to see that affected owners that have went through the repair process from A to Z are posting on this thread their experience and are helping other affected members to navigate the process. Thank you.

Take care.

Ambassador for Toronto

Last edited by Edllguy; 01-13-2018 at 10:36 AM.
post #1237 of 1853 Old 01-13-2018, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin Healy View Post
This is very disappointing to hear, especially considering this appears to be a mass fatal fault that will occur in just a matter of time.

How did you contact them? I've tried their form on their European website, but still waiting on a reply.
I contacted them through the e-mail form on the swedish website, got a reply withon two workdays. I share your disappointment, sucks to pay for a widespread error when other countries gets it covered.

OT: Is there a recommendation/buyers guide part of this forum? Ofc I've been reading alot of discussions around different models but I guess someone have already asked for recommendations with similar demands
post #1238 of 1853 Old 01-14-2018, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 25
10 months post-fix for my 1121 and still working well.
Edllguy and lsturbointeg like this.

Visiting since 2002!
post #1239 of 1853 Old 01-15-2018, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
[quote=Edllguy;55336002]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassLake View Post

There is a good probability it will produce the error, however, I can't guarantee it. This thread relies on information posted here. Before I can say with certainty that XYZ will happen I usually rely on multiple reports from different sources posted in this thread. Then I can say with confidence that yes leaving it plugged in will reproduce the error code eventually. Right now it's theoretical but not absolute.

I heard that the repair centres know by other means to confirm if DSP chip is at fault. Again, I rely on reports posted here. However, they should take your word if you tell them you saw the UE22-Error code displayed before putting it in storage.

Keep us updated. All the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
Hello BassLake, that is a common symptom of events as you have described. FM works fine for now but everything else doesn't. The offending DSP chip is in its final stages of dying.

Also, a lot of affected owners cannot replicate UE22-Error on short notice because it was put in storage for a very long time and therefore when tested after nonuse, cannot replicate the error code.

I would insist that the repair shop keep it plugged in to let it it go through the final UE22-Error stages of dying before UE22-Error stays on permanently.

Note: I want to remind affected owners whenever UE22-Error occurs, do not delay, take a picture right away and do not delete it. It will help expedite your claim down the road as these defective Pioneer receivers never die suddenly and completely in a short window of time. They progressively and slowly fail and unfortunately giving affected owners a false sense of hope when really they will die a slow and complete failure death.
Update - The repair shop was good enough to let it run and it took three weeks for UE-22 to show up. She's all fixed up and on her way home.
Edllguy likes this.
post #1240 of 1853 Old 01-15-2018, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 40
VSX-1121 UE22 error 1/13/2018

UE22 just happened to me on Saturday. Thanks for this thread, found it when I Googled the error code. Still reading through thread but planning to contact Pioneer for support. Any advice what I can do if I can't find the receipt? I'm the first owner - can't find how to check if I registered on pioneer. From the 1st post I'm assuming Pioneer has been bought by Onkyo - should I request for support on the Pioneer or Onkyo site?

• Pioneer receiver model/number - VSX-1121
  • Build date (MFD: month & year), - Sept 2011
  • Purchase date - Looking for receipt, assuming 2011/12
  • UE22 Error display date - 1/13/2018
  • Receiver positioning/placement statement - open TV stand table open from 4 sides
  • Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up - medium usage, mainly for evening TV and weekend use
  • Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing. - no warning, UE22 just appeared yesterday.
post #1241 of 1853 Old 01-15-2018, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^ Hello BassLake, that is awesome and validates the theory UE22-Error is a progressive failure that eventually leads to complete failure of the unit. Many stakeholders on this thread should take note of this important validation!

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1242 of 1853 Old 01-15-2018, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsilicon View Post
UE22 just happened to me on Saturday. Thanks for this thread, found it when I Googled the error code. Still reading through thread but planning to contact Pioneer for support. Any advice what I can do if I can't find the receipt? I'm the first owner - can't find how to check if I registered on pioneer. From the 1st post I'm assuming Pioneer has been bought by Onkyo - should I request for support on the Pioneer or Onkyo site?

• Receiver positioning/placement statement - open TV stand table open from 4 sides
  • Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up - medium usage, mainly for evening TV and weekend use
  • Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing. - no warning, UE22 just appeared yesterday.
Hello,

First take a picture of the error code right away. Don't delay. You are dealing with Onkyo as the lead as they own Pioneer Electronics now. Follow the instructions carefully in post #1 . Receipt is not always needed for the one time warranty repair. Each case is decided on its own merits but you should have a good reason why you don't have a receipt. Try to find some type of email of the purchase etc.

Please report back here with your outcome.

All the best.

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1243 of 1853 Old 01-15-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Hello,

First take a picture of the error code right away. Don't delay. You are dealing with Onkyo as the lead as they own Pioneer Electronics now. Follow the instructions carefully in post #1 . Receipt is not always needed for the one time warranty repair. Each case is decided on its own merits but you should have a good reason why you don't have a receipt. Try to find some type of email of the purchase etc.

Please report back here with your outcome.
All the best.
Thank you for the advice and will contact Onkyo. You can tell that I haven't had a reason to look at amplifiers in a while. I took a picture + video of the UE22 error (see attached). I think I still have the receipt but will need to wait till tonight to get it.

---

Wow, got a response within a few seconds of posting. Was asked to email the parts department with the following information:

Model#-
Serial#-
Full Name-
Complete Shipping Address-
Phone #-
A picture of the front and back of the unit, the front should clearly show the model# and the back MUST clearly show the serial#.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180113_115228_resized.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	2345936  

Last edited by sfsilicon; 01-15-2018 at 11:45 AM.
post #1244 of 1853 Old 01-15-2018, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

[quote=BassLake;55500054]
Quote:

Update - The repair shop was good enough to let it run and it took three weeks for UE-22 to show up. She's all fixed up and on her way home.
Please share here with us when all hooked up and you are enjoying your receiver once again.

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1245 of 1853 Old 01-15-2018, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
[quote=Edllguy;55504104]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassLake View Post

Please share here with us when all hooked up and you are enjoying your receiver once again.
Hello Edllguy I wanted to give an update. After receiving my 1021 back (a while ago) I have finally hooked it up in my RV. All works well and I'm thrilled to have this box back in action!

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk
Edllguy likes this.
post #1246 of 1853 Old 01-16-2018, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:

contact Pioneer by email and call their customer service if you don't get a response within a few days. Follow the steps at the beginning of the thread. got no response from Onkyo but got prompt respond from Pioneer. Even if you don't have your receipt they are well aware of the issue andshould work with you even if you don't have the receipt. I didn't have my receipt and they still helped me.

Last edited by Rgarc; 01-16-2018 at 04:17 PM.
post #1247 of 1853 Old 01-16-2018, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks For this thread.
I followed the instructions.
They replied the day after my email. I received my box on 12-26-17, and I shipped it on 1-4-18. They received my receiver on 1-9-18.
Pioneer Elite SC-67, Built 2012, Purchased 2013, UE-22 Displayed for approx 6 months in 2016 before it suddenly had no audio.
It's just been sitting ever since until I found this thread.
post #1248 of 1853 Old 01-17-2018, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you to all affected owners who have responded to the posting criteria. Its meant for recently affected owners who have not started their 1 Time Warranty Repair Request. The purpose of this request is to demonstrate to Onkyo that there is a need for this program to continue. The more that affected owners voluntarily fill out this the better chance it will be extended for owners who haven't been affected yet. Basically it's proof that the program is needed.

Affected Forum members posting criteria:

Please state the following:
  • Pioneer receiver model/number:
  • Build date (MFD: month & year):
  • Purchase date:
  • UE22 Error display date:
  • Receiver positioning/placement statement:
  • Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up:
  • Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing:

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1249 of 1853 Old 01-17-2018, 06:26 AM

Pioneer/Onkyo in Europe no help

Had the same dreaded UE22 error. The error is now gone from the display but no sound. There is very low sound output from Zone 2 speakers.
Heated the DTS chip to 85 dregrees Celsius to no avail.
Called Onkyo/Pioneer support in Sweden and they said there is no extended warranty in Europe. Only in the US... :-(
Saw a post on youtube suggesting to heat up all chips on the motherboard, I will try that tonight. Perhaps 85 C is not enough?

Cheers Jacob
post #1250 of 1853 Old 01-17-2018, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hello spilur, heating the DSP chips will not work. Temporary solution only, not permanent.

The root cause of this defect is the Texas Instruments DSP chips which are faulty and need to be replaced with an updated version. However, it's very difficult to do this unless you go through official supply chains.

Ambassador for Toronto

Last edited by Edllguy; 01-17-2018 at 06:33 PM.
post #1251 of 1853 Old 01-17-2018, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by spilur View Post
Had the same dreaded UE22 error. The error is now gone from the display but no sound. There is very low sound output from Zone 2 speakers.
Heated the DTS chip to 85 dregrees Celsius to no avail.
Called Onkyo/Pioneer support in Sweden and they said there is no extended warranty in Europe. Only in the US... :-(
Saw a post on youtube suggesting to heat up all chips on the motherboard, I will try that tonight. Perhaps 85 C is not enough?

Cheers Jacob
You need Flux and heat it up around 235 degrees celsius for few seconds or it calls reflow. Another way is reball that means you desolder the chip, build new solder balls and solder it back.

Sent from my SGP771 using Tapatalk

XBR55X700D/Optoma UHD60
Denon AVR-X8500H
14 Gigaworks S750 Cubes
Acoustimass 15 Series 2 Sub
Too much to list here :)
post #1252 of 1853 Old 01-18-2018, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Unfortunately, my old Pioneer SC-67 has not exhibited this issue since i bought it. I know it has the bad DSP because i checked it. One change i did do was that i had heat sinks attached to all the "hot" chips on the HDMI board since i bought it. I did this because I had an Onkyo TX-NR906 which failed because the DSP chips overheated the caps on the same board. maybe the heat sinks prolonged the life of the DSP.
Edllguy likes this.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #1253 of 1853 Old 01-18-2018, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Hi all,

Had my VSX-1121 hit me with the UE-22 error the first week of January. Happy New Year!

Pioneer receiver model/number: VSX-1121
Build date (MFD: month & year): Oct 2011
UE22 Error display date: Jan 3, 2018
Receiver positioning/placement statement: Freestanding on entertainment unit shelf
Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up: Medium (had it on roughly 5-7 hours daily)
Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing: Turned on receiver and audio wasn't working (picture was). This occurred intermittently for a couple of days, perhaps third day UE22 error began flashing. Audio stopped working entirely.
post #1254 of 1853 Old 01-19-2018, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
UPDATE #2 :
Jan-19: Talked with parts. If I want to trade up instead of repairing the 1021, I was offered four models to choose from, each with increasing cost as expected: 1023, 1024, 1130 & 1131. What to do???

UPDATE #1 :
Jan-19: Had this in my inbox this morning. Looking better and no demand for original receipt!!
Your unit is one of those that can be potentially affected by the UE22 issue. Please send an email to our PARTS department at [email protected], put UE22 in the subject line and include the following information and items:

Model#-
Serial#-
Full Name-
Complete Shipping Address-
Phone #-
A picture of the front and back of the unit, the front should clearly show the model# and the back MUST clearly show the serial#.

Our Parts Department should be in touch with you within a few business days of you sending this email to discuss what options there are for your unit. If you have not heard from them within 3-4 business days, please call them as a follow up to your email. They can be reached at 201-785-2600 option 4. Please do not call them prior to sending the email and giving them a few days to response.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++

Original Post:
Well I sure am glad I found this thread. My VSX-1021K puked up the UE22 last week. Opened a case on onkyousa.com, not too hopeful since I didn't get any type of ack email. I really liked this unit a lot, and I'd like to keep liking Pioneer, too. Fingers crossed they treat me right.

Pioneer receiver model/number: VSX-1021-K
Build date (MFD: month & year): September 2011
Purchase date: December 2011
UE22 Error display date: Mid January 2018
Receiver positioning/placement statement: Horizontal on an open-type console, nothing on top
Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up: Medium usage, average evening TV watching.
Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing: My experience mirrors many of yours... a slow death over the last week. Seems to be capable of getting sound out after it warms up, but its popping and crackling a few times when powered on from off. Usually it's silent when powered on and doesn't play sound even after warming up. On occasion then I can power it off/on to nudge it and get some sound. Sometimes I just give up. I know my wife sure has.

Last edited by SoCalJake; 01-19-2018 at 02:02 PM.
post #1255 of 1853 Old 01-19-2018, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
Unfortunately, my old Pioneer SC-67 has not exhibited this issue since i bought it. I know it has the bad DSP because i checked it. One change i did do was that i had heat sinks attached to all the "hot" chips on the HDMI board since i bought it. I did this because I had an Onkyo TX-NR906 which failed because the DSP chips overheated the caps on the same board. maybe the heat sinks prolonged the life of the DSP.
Hi Jon, I would be curious to know the hour count of your unit which can be accessed via the display service menu accessed via a series of commands posted on this thread.

Someone theorized on this thread that if Pioneer had added heat-sinks when the receiver was manufactured we would not be having the issues that we see today with UE22-Error on Pioneer Receivers made in 2011 and 2012. However that directive would have to be issued by TI who made the chips. Anyways that would not be logical because why would TI say to Pioneer we are giving you defective DSP chips and we suggest putting heat-sinks on them because they most likely will fail after 2 or 3 years of use. Not gonna happen.

Therefore, I theorize that if you did indeed put heat-sinks starting at 0-100 hour count chances are you could have delayed or maybe even prevented UE22-Error from occurring. However, I would caution owners of 2011/2012 Pioneer receivers to start buying and applying the heatsinks because I believe the "remedy" only applies to those who installed them at a very low hour count. Receivers with normal usage, I believe, will not benefit from adding heat-sinks now and most likely will jeopardize your warranty claim with Onkyo in the future.

Remember any disclosure to Onkyo that you opened your receiver for any reason will void your chance of being approved for the one time warranty repair for the UE22-Error/TI DSP defect.

Ambassador for Toronto

Last edited by Edllguy; 01-19-2018 at 08:17 PM.
post #1256 of 1853 Old 01-19-2018, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 411
I have about 2500 hours on the SC-67 right now... I recently replaced the SC-67 with a NIB SC-97 that i recently bought at a clearance sale.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #1257 of 1853 Old 01-20-2018, 12:23 PM

Trade in vs. Repair?

I heard back from Onkyo parts repair and they are saying they have no more parts to repair my VSX-1121. They are offering to upsell me on a refurbished VSX-LX301 with 1 year warranty for $700? I just checked online and see that new LX301 sell for $700 and the cheapest price is $469. Any suggestion how to move forward?
post #1258 of 1853 Old 01-21-2018, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I heard back from Onkyo parts repair and they are saying they have no more parts to repair my VSX-1121. They are offering to upsell me on a refurbished VSX-LX301 with 1 year warranty for $700? I just checked online and see that new LX301 sell for $700 and the cheapest price is $469. Any suggestion how to move forward?
Hello sfsilicon,

I don't know what to suggest to you as this doesn't make sense what Onkyo is offering you. Maybe you should ask for clarification and present to them what you have found online in comparison.

Also, Onkyo is saying that they have no more parts to repair your VSX-1121? I'm going to assume that it's not DSP chips that they ran out of but they don't have anymore main digital boards for VSX-1121 which may be realistic since each model main digital board is specifically designed to fit a matching model holding slots. Different feature sets between the models etc.

Please let us know your outcome after you connect with Onkyo.

All the best.

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1259 of 1853 Old 01-21-2018, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well another reporter of this problem. THANK YOU FOR STARTING THIS THREAD! My UE22 error started about a week ago and I am still heartbroken. This thread gives me hope though and I will post any updates as they happen.

Pioneer receiver model/number: Pioneer SC-1222-K

Build date (MFD: month & year) Not sure where this is found?

Purchase date: November 2012

UE22 Error display date: January 2018

Receiver positioning/placement statement: Open shelving

Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up: Fairly high usage.

Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing: UE22 showed up out of the blue causing full audio loss. So far I have been able to work around it by first allowing the unit to "warm up" for approx. 3-5 minutes. The sound eventually starts cutting back on while the UE22 error flashes on screen. Once the sound is working I power cycle the receiver and the error disappears until the next time I turn it back on after several hours of it being turned off.
post #1260 of 1853 Old 01-22-2018, 02:04 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Does this repair/replace apply to receivers purchased used too? I'm assuming it does since prior posts stated that no receipt was required, but does anyone know? I had a vsx53 that I really liked, but it got this UE22 code so i returned it. I wish I had known about this program earlier because I would have wanted to keep the unit and get it fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page