UE22 Error Master Thread-Pioneer, are you listening? - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 523Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1261 of 1762 Old 01-23-2018, 10:38 AM
Newbie
 
gfracerx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Update! I received a call a couple days ago saying they no longer have the parts for my SC-67. They offered to send me a refurbished 2017 model SC-LX801 and I accepted. I haven't done a lot of research on this model honestly but it seems to have good specs. Still waiting for it to arrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfracerx View Post
Thanks For this thread.
I followed the instructions.
They replied the day after my email. I received my box on 12-26-17, and I shipped it on 1-4-18. They received my receiver on 1-9-18.
Pioneer Elite SC-67, Built 2012, Purchased 2013, UE-22 Displayed for approx 6 months in 2016 before it suddenly had no audio.
It's just been sitting ever since until I found this thread.
Edllguy likes this.
gfracerx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1262 of 1762 Old 01-23-2018, 06:30 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Angry How much did that cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfracerx View Post
Update! I received a call a couple days ago saying they no longer have the parts for my SC-67. They offered to send me a refurbished 2017 model SC-LX801 and I accepted. I haven't done a lot of research on this model honestly but it seems to have good specs. Still waiting for it to arrive.
How much did they charge you? They say they are now out of parts and are offering me a refurbished VSX-LX301 (a lower-power model) for $300 to replace my VSX-1121-K. I've used Pioneer receivers, tape decks and car audio for over 25 years, and my VSX-4800 lasted over 20. If they can't do better than that, I'm done with them.
Freonpsandoz is offline  
post #1263 of 1762 Old 01-24-2018, 12:42 PM
Member
 
kahlilj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: atlanta, ga
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does ANYONE know if this repair/replace applies to used receivers as well?
I'm assuming it does since prior posts stated that no receipt was required, but does anyone know? I had a VSX53 that I really liked, but it got this UE22 code so I returned it. I wish I had known about this program earlier because I would have wanted to keep the unit and get it fixed.

Thoughts? Comments?
kahlilj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1264 of 1762 Old 01-24-2018, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,015
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahlilj View Post
Does ANYONE know if this repair/replace applies to used receivers as well?
I'm assuming it does since prior posts stated that no receipt was required, but does anyone know? I had a VSX53 that I really liked, but it got this UE22 code so I returned it. I wish I had known about this program earlier because I would have wanted to keep the unit and get it fixed.

Thoughts? Comments?
They are not asking for receipts so it would not hurt to try.
kahlilj likes this.
Rgarc is offline  
post #1265 of 1762 Old 01-24-2018, 06:58 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thank you very much for this thread! The instructions on #1 post were great!

The unit we have is a Pioneer Elite SC-68, built December 2012 and purchased February 2013

I found the thread by googling UE22 error after our Pioneer Elite SC-68 started to show the code back in September 2017. Three months later in December turning it on and letting it warm up (for several minutes) and after a few pops and clicks it still occasionally produced sound, until it died in late December.

Onkyo replied three days after my email to them, and I received my box a few days later. I shipped the receiver to them on Jan 11th, 2018, and I received the fixed receiver back (with no note or other correspondence) today Jan 24th 2018. I was curious about what had been done to fix the problem, so I called Onkyo parts and they told me that 'the HDMI board was replaced'. I had to take a peek into the unit and was able to confirm that there are two D808K013DPTP400 chips on the HDMI board. Hopefully this unit will last a long time.

In the meantime, we again have a functioning receiver, so thank you very much!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDMI Board with two D808K013DPTP400 sml.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	437.1 KB
ID:	2350770  
kahlilj and Edllguy like this.
pioneer_guy is offline  
post #1266 of 1762 Old 01-25-2018, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Edllguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 797
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 113
^^^ Great report Pioneer_guy. Welcome to AVS Forum. I like the picture of your DSP chips and have included them in post#2.

Please keep in touch and let us know down the road how your repaired Pioneer receiver is doing.



Since there have been some reports that spare parts is becoming harder to find for the UE-22 Error repair for some models especially the lower end models I want to encourage affected owners to please find time to submit your claim to Onkyo. We don't know how Onkyo/Pioneer is acquiring the spare parts to fix our UE-22 Error affected receivers but as you can see in previous posts the clock may be ticking due to dwindling spare parts inventory.


All the best.
Rgarc and pioneer_guy like this.

Ambassador for Toronto

Last edited by Edllguy; 01-25-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Edllguy is offline  
post #1267 of 1762 Old 01-25-2018, 12:44 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
As I mentioned in my previous post yesterday, we received the fixed Pioneer Elite SC-68 unit back this week. I was wondering whether adding heatsinks now to the two DSP chips would be a good idea to try to prevent this issue from reoccurring?

I am not an engineer, and (because of it) I don't quite understand how a redesign of a chip can completely eradicate the heat generation of a chip which performs the same function.
pioneer_guy is offline  
post #1268 of 1762 Old 01-25-2018, 01:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
^^^ Great report Pioneer_guy. Welcome to AVS Forum. I like the picture of your DSP chips and have included them in post#2.

Please keep in touch and let us know down the road how your repaired Pioneer receiver is doing.



Since there have been some reports that spare parts is becoming harder to find for the UE-22 Error repair for some models especially the lower end models I want to encourage affected owners to please find time to submit your claim to Onkyo. We don't know how Onkyo/Pioneer is acquiring the spare parts to fix our UE-22 Error affected receivers but as you can see in previous posts the clock may be ticking due to dwindling spare parts inventory.


All the best.
First, thanks for all of your work and everyone's posts about this matter. This is huge issue, and you have done an extremely thorough and lengthy job organizing and supporting this problem and the people affected.

Second, I own a vsx-53 and have had the UE22 blinking error since about November. It has progressed from temporary blinking, to continuous blinking, to now, it seems to take several minutes of 'warm-up' for the unit to function. As you mentioned in this post, parts are likely becoming scarce. Do I have to wait until it completely fails before engaging with Onkyo? From everything I've read, it's pretty much a sure thing that it will fail, and if so, I would prefer to initiate the process sooner than later. Thanks again.
Bill Cross is offline  
post #1269 of 1762 Old 01-25-2018, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,015
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cross View Post
First, thanks for all of your work and everyone's posts about this matter. This is huge issue, and you have done an extremely thorough and lengthy job organizing and supporting this problem and the people affected.

Second, I own a vsx-53 and have had the UE22 blinking error since about November. It has progressed from temporary blinking, to continuous blinking, to now, it seems to take several minutes of 'warm-up' for the unit to function. As you mentioned in this post, parts are likely becoming scarce. Do I have to wait until it completely fails before engaging with Onkyo? From everything I've read, it's pretty much a sure thing that it will fail, and if so, I would prefer to initiate the process sooner than later. Thanks again.
I would do it sooner since as you may have read, parts for some receivers are becoming scarce. As long as the UE22 error consistently appears on your AVR, you have a pretty good case.
Rgarc is offline  
post #1270 of 1762 Old 01-25-2018, 02:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgarc View Post
I would do it sooner since as you may have read, parts for some receivers are becoming scarce. As long as the UE22 error consistently appears on your AVR, you have a pretty good case.
Ok, thanks very much for the reply. I believe I need to post my specifics, as requested on the OPs.

Pioneer receiver model/number
- VSX-53
Build date MFD:
May 2011
Purchase date: 03/28/2013

UE22 Error display date: November, 2017

Receiver positioning/placement statement: Sits atop a DVD player that doesn't require top airflow in an entertainment center
. I removed the glass doors when I first placed the receiver in the entertainment center since it seemed like it would restrict airflow. Average current use (1.5 years) of the receiver is 2-4 hours per day of moderate to low volume. Prior use was 4-6 hours/day of moderate volume, occasional loud volume.
The UE22 error started approximately mid-November 2017. It started blinking only for the first several minutes of use, then would revert to the normal display. About 5 weeks later, the blinking error would remain on the display constantly. (The display would still read volume changes, input changes, etc. then would revert to blinking error). As of around January 15th, the unit requires 'warming up' for several minutes for the sound to work, otherwise there is no sound initially. This can take anywhere from 3-6 minutes. As of today, the unit still functions and produces sound.
Bill Cross is offline  
post #1271 of 1762 Old 01-25-2018, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Edllguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 797
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cross View Post
First, thanks for all of your work and everyone's posts about this matter. This is huge issue, and you have done an extremely thorough and lengthy job organizing and supporting this problem and the people affected.

Second, I own a vsx-53 and have had the UE22 blinking error since about November. It has progressed from temporary blinking, to continuous blinking, to now, it seems to take several minutes of 'warm-up' for the unit to function. As you mentioned in this post, parts are likely becoming scarce. Do I have to wait until it completely fails before engaging with Onkyo? From everything I've read, it's pretty much a sure thing that it will fail, and if so, I would prefer to initiate the process sooner than later. Thanks again.
Hi Bill,

From the many affected members that have posted here, Onkyo does not like to proceed on a UE-22 Error claim unless there is no sound or it displays UE-22 Error consistently. One affected member here had to insist that the Onkyo service centre try to reproduce the Error by leaving it plugged in and turned on to reproduce UE-22. Eventually it did but it took 3 weeks and then his claim was approved. That's risky.

What I'm trying to encourage affected members here to do is take pictures and videos of the UE-22 Error flashing at any of its stages of dying as proof if the Onkyo service centre says that they cannot reproduce UE-22 Error.

Also, as strange as it sounds I recommend that if an affected receiver started flashing UE-22 Error do not turn it off. Leave it on 24/7 till UE-22 Error is permanent. Let it go through its dying cycles. Also, do not put in storage for any amount of time after displaying UE22 Error because it is very difficult when taken out of storage to reproduce the error. Very difficult. And when you send in an affected receiver in that state Onkyo cannot proceed on that claim.

So remember, please take many pictures of the UE-22 Error display reading even if it's in its early stages of dying and start your online claim with Onkyo as stated in post#1 as soon as possible. Don't delay.

And to answer your question Bill...yes start the repair submission request now but have your pictures and videos saved as proof and all through this process leave your Pioneer unit powered on 24/7. You don't need any volume or anything just leave it on to push it to its final cycles of dying.


All the best.
Bill Cross likes this.

Ambassador for Toronto

Last edited by Edllguy; 01-25-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Edllguy is offline  
post #1272 of 1762 Old 01-25-2018, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jon S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 4,411
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer_guy View Post
As I mentioned in my previous post yesterday, we received the fixed Pioneer Elite SC-68 unit back this week. I was wondering whether adding heatsinks now to the two DSP chips would be a good idea to try to prevent this issue from reoccurring?

I am not an engineer, and (because of it) I don't quite understand how a redesign of a chip can completely eradicate the heat generation of a chip which performs the same function.
The problem was that the TI DSPs were defective and failed. You don't read much about DSP failures so i think it should be OK. Mind you, i have a SC-67 with heatsinks attached and it is still running fine. So it may help or it may not.
Edllguy likes this.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Jon S is offline  
post #1273 of 1762 Old 01-25-2018, 08:47 PM
Senior Member
 
jerome8283's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome8283 View Post
The UE22 error is consistently appearing on my Pioneer VSX-1021 receiver. I purchased it in 2011. I too began the process to have my unit repaired. I sent an email today and I'm waiting on a response.

I will report back with updates.

Thank you!
I went through the process successfully. It was very smooth and quick. It took about 1 week from the time I shipped my unit to them. I received it today and it works like new! Thanks!!
roguegeek likes this.
jerome8283 is offline  
post #1274 of 1762 Old 01-25-2018, 11:26 PM
Member
 
roguegeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Send a message via AIM to roguegeek Send a message via MSN to roguegeek Send a message via Yahoo to roguegeek
Question

  • Pioneer VSX-1021-K
  • Manufactured October 2011
  • Purchased January 17, 2012
  • UE22 error displayed November 2017
  • Positioned in a home theater cabinet in its own area with no other components
  • Receiver has done medium to high usage throughout the last six years
  • It started by turning on the unit in the morning and hearing nothing for a couple of second, then a series of loud and quick buzzes through the speakers, followed by a couple more seconds of silence before the unit would begin to operate properly without any error code popping up. This happened for a couple of days until the UE22 error appeared on screen after the same sequence. It's been two months since the error popped up. I still deal with the same sequence of silence, buzzes, and silence before the error code pops up and the receiver operates, but the sequence is extending every day. On average, I'm waiting about a hour for the receiver to kick on after powering it up.


How does my experience sound compared to others? Do I go through Onkyo for this service or Pioneer? I ask because the instructions on the first post only explain Onkyo support.
roguegeek is offline  
post #1275 of 1762 Old 01-25-2018, 11:38 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Pioneer receiver model/number: VSX-1121-K
Build date (MFD: month & year): 09/2011
Purchase date: 02/2012
UE22 Error display date: Mid Dec 2017
Receiver positioning/placement statement: On an open entertainment unit shelf with plenty of air circulation around it.
Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up: High usage, often over 12 hours per day.
Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing: When the error started flashing, I experienced delays in getting audio output from Internet radio and HDMI inputs. The delays progressively increased in duration. Now, no audio seems to be output unless I keep switching inputs and audio processing modes for several minutes until it starts working. It hasn't failed completely yet.

I followed the instructions for resolution of this issue starting with the online contact form and sending an email to the Onkyo parts department when instructed to do so. All the Onkyo parts department offered me was a refurbished VSX-LX301 for $300 (60% of the street price of a new unit.) That was two days ago, and I have been trying since then to cool off enough to compose a civil reply. The rated output power of the VXS-LX301 is even less than that of the VSX-1121, which to me is already underpowered. I run the VSX-1121 at -3 attenuation when I play music loud or listen to movies with quiet dialogue. (My beloved VSX-4800, with the volume control slightly over halfway up, shook paint off the walls for over 20 years before it failed.)

Everyone else in the US seems to be having much better luck with Pioneer/Onkyo than I am. What did I do wrong? Perhaps I was too forthcoming when I included order details for the unit, which was purchased on Amazon.
Freonpsandoz is offline  
post #1276 of 1762 Old 01-26-2018, 05:23 AM
Senior Member
 
jerome8283's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post
  • Pioneer VSX-1021-K
  • Manufactured October 2011
  • Purchased January 17, 2012
  • UE22 error displayed November 2017
  • Positioned in a home theater cabinet in its own area with no other components
  • Receiver has done medium to high usage throughout the last six years
  • It started by turning on the unit in the morning and hearing nothing for a couple of second, then a series of loud and quick buzzes through the speakers, followed by a couple more seconds of silence before the unit would begin to operate properly without any error code popping up. This happened for a couple of days until the UE22 error appeared on screen after the same sequence. It's been two months since the error popped up. I still deal with the same sequence of silence, buzzes, and silence before the error code pops up and the receiver operates, but the sequence is extending every day. On average, I'm waiting about a hour for the receiver to kick on after powering it up.


How does my experience sound compared to others? Do I go through Onkyo for this service or Pioneer? I ask because the instructions on the first post only explain Onkyo support.
I would go through the process, email Onkyo and let them know exactly what you told us here. They will tell you if you qualify. Your experience is very similar to mine except the error on my receiver was consistent. Powering on each day, I experienced a delay, only three minutes or so before receiving sound.
roguegeek likes this.
jerome8283 is offline  
post #1277 of 1762 Old 01-26-2018, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Edllguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 797
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freonpsandoz View Post
Pioneer receiver model/number: VSX-1121-K
Build date (MFD: month & year): 09/2011
Purchase date: 02/2012
UE22 Error display date: Mid Dec 2017
Receiver positioning/placement statement: On an open entertainment unit shelf with plenty of air circulation around it.
Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up: High usage, often over 12 hours per day.
Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing: When the error started flashing, I experienced delays in getting audio output from Internet radio and HDMI inputs. The delays progressively increased in duration. Now, no audio seems to be output unless I keep switching inputs and audio processing modes for several minutes until it starts working. It hasn't failed completely yet.

I followed the instructions for resolution of this issue starting with the online contact form and sending an email to the Onkyo parts department when instructed to do so. All the Onkyo parts department offered me was a refurbished VSX-LX301 for $300 (60% of the street price of a new unit.) That was two days ago, and I have been trying since then to cool off enough to compose a civil reply. The rated output power of the VXS-LX301 is even less than that of the VSX-1121, which to me is already underpowered. I run the VSX-1121 at -3 attenuation when I play music loud or listen to movies with quiet dialogue. (My beloved VSX-4800, with the volume control slightly over halfway up, shook paint off the walls for over 20 years before it failed.)

Everyone else in the US seems to be having much better luck with Pioneer/Onkyo than I am. What did I do wrong? Perhaps I was too forthcoming when I included order details for the unit, which was purchased on Amazon.
Hello Freonpsandoz,

It may be possible that your specific unit is affected by a low spare parts inventory. I think that is a reality that will become more and more common on this thread and affected owners reading this thread should take note of.

As for what they are offering you in place of a repair I don't want to go on record that "it's a good or bad deal and take it or reject it" but that is how the program works and they are setting the criteria as to what they can offer. At least they are offering you something and not declining you outright.

Maybe the glass is half full with this offer but that is the best they can do. I don't think they have the resources to negotiate a better offer. It is what it is.


All the best.

Ambassador for Toronto
Edllguy is offline  
post #1278 of 1762 Old 01-26-2018, 05:46 PM
Newbie
 
Soneerpiony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
UPDATE Well I'm screwed!
The first reply I got from Onkyo verified that I qualified for the repair program and asked me to send them the pics ofbthw error and info about my receiver which I did right away. Then the person that replied told me that they were all out of the repair parts and instead is offering me a refurb SC-91 for $349 plus trade in of my receiver. That's a crap deal for somebody now living on disability and they won't offer any other options. Why do they even want my old receiver as trade in if it can't be fixed?? ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soneerpiony View Post
Well another reporter of this problem. THANK YOU FOR STARTING THIS THREAD! My UE22 error started about a week ago and I am still heartbroken. This thread gives me hope though and I will post any updates as they happen.

Pioneer receiver model/number: Pioneer SC-1222-K

Build date (MFD: month & year) Not sure where this is found?

Purchase date: November 2012

UE22 Error display date: January 2018

Receiver positioning/placement statement: Open shelving

Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up: Fairly high usage.

Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing: UE22 showed up out of the blue causing full audio loss. So far I have been able to work around it by first allowing the unit to "warm up" for approx. 3-5 minutes. The sound eventually starts cutting back on while the UE22 error flashes on screen. Once the sound is working I power cycle the receiver and the error disappears until the next time I turn it back on after several hours of it being turned off.
Soneerpiony is offline  
post #1279 of 1762 Old 01-27-2018, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Edllguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 797
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Hello everyone,


I'm a bit concerned about the reported parts shortage to fix our UE22-Error affected receivers. I can't get a handle on which units are affected or does it impact the entire UE22-Error "One Time Fix Repair Program".

I rely on the posts on this thread to gather accurate information to make an informed analysis of what's going on. Therefore, I would like to request that if you have been accepted for the one time repair or you have been rejected to please share on this thread.

In the United States affected owners have the option to purchase a refurbished Pioneer unit at reduced cost while in Canada this in not an option due to different economies of scale. Canadians are only offered the "One Time Repair".

Please continue to report here so we can put the pieces of the puzzle together to tell an accurate story of what is going on.


Thanks
roguegeek likes this.

Ambassador for Toronto

Last edited by Edllguy; 01-27-2018 at 06:59 AM.
Edllguy is offline  
post #1280 of 1762 Old 01-27-2018, 11:20 AM
Member
 
roguegeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Send a message via AIM to roguegeek Send a message via MSN to roguegeek Send a message via Yahoo to roguegeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome8283 View Post
I would go through the process, email Onkyo and let them know exactly what you told us here. They will tell you if you qualify. Your experience is very similar to mine except the error on my receiver was consistent. Powering on each day, I experienced a delay, only three minutes or so before receiving sound.
Ok. Started the process and will post a followup after something happens with it. Question. Why are we being asked to go through Onkyo and not Pioneer for the service when the receiver is Pioneer branded? Should I send support requests to both or just Onkyo?
roguegeek is offline  
post #1281 of 1762 Old 01-27-2018, 12:03 PM
Senior Member
 
jerome8283's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post
Ok. Started the process and will post a followup after something happens with it. Question. Why are we being asked to go through Onkyo and not Pioneer for the service when the receiver is Pioneer branded? Should I send support requests to both or just Onkyo?
Onkyo owns Pioneer's home A/V division.
jerome8283 is offline  
post #1282 of 1762 Old 01-28-2018, 08:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
Hi Bill,

From the many affected members that have posted here, Onkyo does not like to proceed on a UE-22 Error claim unless there is no sound or it displays UE-22 Error consistently. One affected member here had to insist that the Onkyo service centre try to reproduce the Error by leaving it plugged in and turned on to reproduce UE-22. Eventually it did but it took 3 weeks and then his claim was approved. That's risky.

What I'm trying to encourage affected members here to do is take pictures and videos of the UE-22 Error flashing at any of its stages of dying as proof if the Onkyo service centre says that they cannot reproduce UE-22 Error.

Also, as strange as it sounds I recommend that if an affected receiver started flashing UE-22 Error do not turn it off. Leave it on 24/7 till UE-22 Error is permanent. Let it go through its dying cycles. Also, do not put in storage for any amount of time after displaying UE22 Error because it is very difficult when taken out of storage to reproduce the error. Very difficult. And when you send in an affected receiver in that state Onkyo cannot proceed on that claim.

So remember, please take many pictures of the UE-22 Error display reading even if it's in its early stages of dying and start your online claim with Onkyo as stated in post#1 as soon as possible. Don't delay.

And to answer your question Bill...yes start the repair submission request now but have your pictures and videos saved as proof and all through this process leave your Pioneer unit powered on 24/7. You don't need any volume or anything just leave it on to push it to its final cycles of dying.


All the best.
Edllguy, ok thanks. I will begin the process. The UE-22 error flashes constantly now. I don't think I was as clear as I could have been in my earlier post. The error flashes constantly, except, for example, if I change the input. Then it shows the new input for about 1-2 seconds, then reverts to the error flashing. (Same process as a functional unit, except it would revert to the default, such as Optimal, or similar.) I am concerned since I read on the Onkyo site that the program for loss of sound/network connectivity was only through the end of 2017. Hopefully the UE-22 isn't the same issue they mentioned. I will be sure to post results of the interactions, as you have requested in a subsequent post.
Bill Cross is offline  
post #1283 of 1762 Old 01-29-2018, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,015
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 304
One thing that worked for me which may help some people. I went to the Onkyo site first but got no response, so I went through the Pioneer site and I got a response in 24 hours which was handled by ONKYo
Edllguy likes this.
Rgarc is offline  
post #1284 of 1762 Old 01-30-2018, 11:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgarc View Post
One thing that worked for me which may help some people. I went to the Onkyo site first but got no response, so I went through the Pioneer site and I got a response in 24 hours which was handled by ONKYo
I started my repair request process yesterday around noon by submitting info via the Onkyo support page. I received a reply at 11:09am today to send info to the parts department, etc. Not criticizing your message by any means, just adding that the Onkyo site did function ok for me...I will update when I hear from the Parts department. I have my fingers crossed that they will have the parts to repair as I can't afford and don't really want a different unit. It may not be the 'latest/greatest', but I do like it a lot!
Bill Cross is offline  
post #1285 of 1762 Old 01-31-2018, 07:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cross View Post
I started my repair request process yesterday around noon by submitting info via the Onkyo support page. I received a reply at 11:09am today to send info to the parts department, etc. Not criticizing your message by any means, just adding that the Onkyo site did function ok for me...I will update when I hear from the Parts department. I have my fingers crossed that they will have the parts to repair as I can't afford and don't really want a different unit. It may not be the 'latest/greatest', but I do like it a lot!
Update: I received an email from the parts dept this morning at 10am:

You will receive a box and label to send your unit in for repairs. Your order number is xxxxxx

Please allow 3 to 5 business days to receive box/label


That seems rather quick, so I am pleased so far. I will provide the next update after receiving my unit back, or if I get the dreaded 'no parts' call.
Bill Cross is offline  
post #1286 of 1762 Old 01-31-2018, 08:44 AM
Newbie
 
gfracerx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My replacement receiver showed up at my door a couple days ago. No charge for the replacement. Looks to have a lot more features than my old one. Can't wait to try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfracerx View Post
Update! I received a call a couple days ago saying they no longer have the parts for my SC-67. They offered to send me a refurbished 2017 model SC-LX801 and I accepted. I haven't done a lot of research on this model honestly but it seems to have good specs. Still waiting for it to arrive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4819.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	2354364  
Edllguy and Bill Cross like this.

Last edited by gfracerx; 01-31-2018 at 01:04 PM.
gfracerx is offline  
post #1287 of 1762 Old 01-31-2018, 12:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfracerx View Post
My replacement receiver showed up at my door a couple days ago. No charge for the replacement. Looks to have a lot more feature than my old one. Can't wait to try it out.
Nice...the LX801 seems pretty bad*ss! Of course, your SC-67 wasn't a slouch either! Congrats on everything working out!
Edllguy and gfracerx like this.
Bill Cross is offline  
post #1288 of 1762 Old 01-31-2018, 01:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I saw that pioneer_guy removed the cover and took a picture of the chipsets/board after receiving the replacement. I was thinking of taking before and after pics, but am concerned about removing the cover. I know my unit is technically already out of warranty, but this repair process has the feel of warranty work. Does anyone think it could cause any problems if I remove the cover prior to shipping it off for repair? Thx.
Bill Cross is offline  
post #1289 of 1762 Old 01-31-2018, 01:08 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
Maybe the glass is half full with this offer but that is the best they can do. I don't think they have the resources to negotiate a better offer. It is what it is.
The glass is half full in the sense that some people have gotten good deals and some haven't. I'm in the latter group. Maybe they are doing more for owners of higher-end models like gfracerx, who got a free SC-LX801 to replace an SC-67. That's very different from what I am offered, which is a refurbished VSX-LX301, a lesser model than the VSX-1121, at 60% of the street price of a new unit. I have no idea what to do next. I've always liked Pioneer home audio, but now that it's owned by Onkyo, I'm very leery of it. But then leaving customers holding the bag instead of going after the company that sold them bad parts is what's best for the billionaire shareholders of both corporations. #MAGA
Freonpsandoz is offline  
post #1290 of 1762 Old 01-31-2018, 01:19 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
Early unconfirmed reports is that Onkyo/Pioneer is covering repairs for this defect until the end of 2018.
However, I'm trying to petition Onkyo/Pioneer to have this lengthened to the end of 2020/2021. Updates will be posted here on the status of this petition.
I'm not sure there is any point to that petition. Onkyo/Pioneer has already run out of parts to repair most affected units and has told me that they will not be producing any more such parts. (If they planned to do so, I would wait for a repair for my VSX-1121.) They are also running out of replacement refurbished units and are apparently no longer offering good deals to owners of lower-end models.
Freonpsandoz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off