UE22 Error Master Thread-Pioneer, are you listening? - Page 45 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 540Likes

post #1321 of 1819 Old 02-28-2018, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by browner20 View Post
Received an email today from Onkyo letting me know my box is on the way. I am hoping this means they have the parts
I would not get too hopeful. I thought the same thing, and shipped my unit back. I waited for over a week after it was delivered and sent them a request for an update via email. (I was half expecting a tracking number for my unit coming back to me). Unfortunately, I received a 'sorry no parts' email. That's really the only negative experience I've had, however. I would recommend tracking the shipment back to Onkyo, and once it's been delivered, give them a couple of days to respond. If they don't, I would reach back out via email or phone. Please see my most recent post for a more complete summary. I left a rant prior to that, and it should probably be ignored.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1819 Old 03-01-2018, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cross View Post
I would not get too hopeful. I thought the same thing, and shipped my unit back. I waited for over a week after it was delivered and sent them a request for an update via email. (I was half expecting a tracking number for my unit coming back to me). Unfortunately, I received a 'sorry no parts' email. That's really the only negative experience I've had, however. I would recommend tracking the shipment back to Onkyo, and once it's been delivered, give them a couple of days to respond. If they don't, I would reach back out via email or phone. Please see my most recent post for a more complete summary. I left a rant prior to that, and it should probably be ignored.

In my humble opinion, I think your rant was appropriate. For example, lets say Nissan bought Mazda. A vendor of Mazda issued a recall on one of their products (e.g. airbags, clutch, gas tank etc etc). Instead of Nissan fixing these problems (which they could easily do), they tell you we will offer you $3,000 off the purchase of a used Mazda vehicle. Your initial reaction would be anger. The vehicle worked perfectly fine until this issue surfaced through no fault of your own. They are penalizing the customer for a defective product that was recalled. I could understand if the customer was negligent in taking care of the product. That is not the case. My experience with Onkyo's customer service reps has been very positive. That doesn't necessarily equate to getting my SC-67 receiver fixed. We will see how things progress when April arrives. Onkyo need to continue to fix these machines and forget about offering refurbished units. Gives the impression that you are trying to fleece even MORE money out of our pockets.
timberwolf10014 likes this.

Last edited by Rumble_Fish; 03-01-2018 at 05:55 AM.
post #1323 of 1819 Old 03-01-2018, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble_Fish View Post
In my humble opinion, I think your rant was appropriate. For example, lets say Nissan bought Mazda. A vendor of Mazda issued a recall on one of their products (e.g. airbags, clutch, gas tank etc etc). Instead of Nissan fixing these problems (which they could easily do), they tell you we will offer you $3,000 off the purchase of a used Mazda vehicle. Your initial reaction would be anger. The vehicle worked perfectly fine until this issue surfaced through no fault of your own. They are penalizing the customer for a defective product that was recalled. I could understand if the customer was negligent in taking care of the product. That is not the case. My experience with Onkyo's customer service reps has been very positive. That doesn't necessarily equate to getting my SC-67 receiver fixed. We will see how things progress when April arrives. Onkyo need to continue to fix these machines and forget about offering refurbished units. Gives the impression that you are trying to fleece even MORE money out of our pockets.
You make a very good point. I go back and forth in my mind about this whole thing. If Onkyo is truly out of parts, I am not against offering the refurb option rather than a 'too bad so sad, you're out of luck' response. Which they could have done. That probably would have resulted in at least some damage to their brand, if not a class-action lawsuit. On the other hand, they could have initiated a full recall and replaced the defective units several years ago.
While I greatly appreciate what edllguy has done with this thread, I don't agree with the mentality that I should just be thankful that Onkyo has a program. I would use the analogy of me having some dread, fatal disease. A drug company comes up with a cure for said illness. I have $100, but they are charging $10000 for the cure. I should be happy that the company invented a cure that does me no good whatsoever? While I may be happy for everyone else that can afford the cure, I am quite confident that I would probably be MORE angry since there's now a cure, but just beyond my reach, rather than no cure at all.

Anyways, thanks for the reply. I will be very interested to see what happens in April when new parts are supposed to come in. Has anyone been able to confirm that? I guess I am just cynical. I truly hope it goes smoothly and successfully for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1324 of 1819 Old 03-02-2018, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
My unit was shipped to Onkyo this morning. I figure I will call next Friday if I do not hear anything.
post #1325 of 1819 Old 03-03-2018, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Pioneer receiver model/number: VSX-1021-K
Build date (MFD: month & year): March 2011
Purchase date: Fall of 2011
UE22 Error display date: March 3rd, 2018 (Today)
Receiver positioning/placement statement: TV Stand Cabinet with front of cabinet open
Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing: Was working fine last night with no indication of anything wrong. This morning turned on the receiver and got the UE22 error

Submitted step 1 on the Onkyo website today.

Before finding this fantatic thread, for which I'd like to thank the OP and and all that have been contributing, I found a youtube video describing a DIY fix for the UE22 issue but then found this thread. The video may be useful for those people where Onkyo is refusing to fix the issue...

dashpuppy likes this.
post #1326 of 1819 Old 03-03-2018, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_jbloggs View Post
Build date (MFD: month & year): March 2011
Purchase date: Fall of 2011
UE22 Error display date: March 3rd, 2018 (Today)
Receiver positioning/placement statement: TV Stand Cabinet with front of cabinet open
Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing: Was working fine last night with no indication of anything wrong. This morning turned on the receiver and got the UE22 error

Submitted step 1 on the Onkyo website today.

Before finding this fantatic thread, for which I'd like to thank the OP and and all that have been contributing, I found a youtube video describing a DIY fix for the UE22 issue but then found this thread. The video may be useful for those people where Onkyo is refusing to fix the issue...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBFRKQdNC4k
that's my video :P The video has fixed a few amps..
mr_jbloggs and atroph like this.
post #1327 of 1819 Old 03-04-2018, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I don't have anything positive to add lol. My Sc 1527 died again, i originally had a guy here repair it and it probably both me another year. But she's cooked again so I finished the job with a hammer.... Got a new yamaha enroute, i hope u guys have better luck than I did

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
post #1328 of 1819 Old 03-04-2018, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 114
^^^The heat gun technique was already tried multiple times globally and we have confirmed it is only a short term solution. Not long term.

The only way to fix the UE22-Error is to get a main digital board replacement that has the updated Texas Instruments DSP chipset. The "D" version.

North America (USA and Canada) are the only countries that is currently offering the free one time repair program (verification required) for affected units.
atroph likes this.

Ambassador for Toronto

Last edited by Edllguy; 03-04-2018 at 07:04 PM.
post #1329 of 1819 Old 03-04-2018, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Continued from Post #1
Important Information relating to your UE22-Error claim

When submitting your claim through Onkyo ensure that you indicate that you want the correct main digital board installed that has the updated DSP chipset with the part number D810K013DZKB4 or D808K013DPTP4. The "D" Version. Verify this again with the service centre location that they installed the correct version before they send back your receiver.

If you receive back your receiver with DSP chipset D810K013BZKB4 ("B" Versions) and D808K013CPTP4 ("C" Versions) your receiver will fail again in 2-3 years. These chips were identified by TI as prone to premature degeneration or aging and were subsequently recalled.

Note: Lower end receiver models will have 1 DSP chip and higher end models will have 2 DSP chips.
atroph likes this.

Ambassador for Toronto

Last edited by Edllguy; 03-05-2018 at 06:58 PM.
post #1330 of 1819 Old 03-07-2018, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Has anyone noticed a difference in performance from their repaired units. I set up my system and ran the room correction as before but i am having to crank up the volume more to drive my speakers now. I have a VSX-1021-k and I m running it into the same speakers as before which are 8 ohm BA satellites with 89db sensitivity. Is anyone else experiencing a similar situation or am i just listening more critically now?
post #1331 of 1819 Old 03-07-2018, 02:05 PM

Good news for the VSX-1021-K owners as they still must have parts as I just received notice that mine is on its way back without having to call. Pretty quick if you ask me! Looks like my model may have other issues based on Rgarc's comment but we shall see.

Edllguy - do you think they would still be pawning off a recalled chip after all this? Sounds like an recipe for a class action lawsuit to me.
post #1332 of 1819 Old 03-07-2018, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browner20 View Post
Good news for the VSX-1021-K owners as they still must have parts as I just received notice that mine is on its way back without having to call. Pretty quick if you ask me! Looks like my model may have other issues based on Rgarc's comment but we shall see.

Edllguy - do you think they would still be pawning off a recalled chip after all this? Sounds like an recipe for a class action lawsuit to me.
I believe that this thread highlighted the issue of the incorrect chipset being used for the repair. Lately we have no reports of this occurring again.

In regards to the class action lawsuit, someone familiar with legal process here stated that the statutes of limitations has kicked in and therefore that avenue has expired. However, just after the "SOL" kicked in Onkyo introduced the repair program in Canada and the United States.

I theorize that Onkyo introduced the repair program for us in part because here in North America bad social media reports can really affect company's profit margins and do long term damage to a brands image.

Ambassador for Toronto

Last edited by Edllguy; 03-08-2018 at 08:54 PM.
post #1333 of 1819 Old 03-09-2018, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello, I had the same error and received an email with the option of getting it repaired when the parts are available or a refurbished Pioneer LX701 for $699.00 with a 1 year warranty. I had just purchased the LX801 for
$1599.00 plus tax from Best buy brand new.

I am unsure of which path to take. Get it repaired and have 2 receivers or should I purchase the refurbished unit and just have the one.
post #1334 of 1819 Old 03-13-2018, 12:12 PM

My experience with the program was awesome. Submitted initial step on 2/21 and had the unit back in my possession by 3/12. I have not tested it yet as I am debating on pulling out my main receiver. My main receiver, Elite 81, is also damaged as I had the HDMI board replaced under warranty but come to find out the air play went out as well but I did not realize it because I was so focused on the HDMI issue. Must have taken a pretty close hit by lighting to knock out the HDMI board and the airplay feature and who knows what else. I found a bluetooth device that works to play music off of my phone when outside, 2nd zone, but it is just a little more clunky to have to connect every time. I figure I will keep one as backup when the other fails but not sure which to use in the meantime.

@Edllguy - thank you so much for putting this together as at least I have options and did not have to throw a $600+ receiver in the trash.
Edllguy likes this.
post #1335 of 1819 Old 03-13-2018, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1263 Post(s)
Liked: 500
One Year After Repair

Received it back on 3/06/2017 and still working. Here's to another year, not ready to upgrade yet.
Edllguy likes this.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #1336 of 1819 Old 03-17-2018, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
One Year After Repair

Received it back on 3/06/2017 and still working. Here's to another year, not ready to upgrade yet.

Hello tomtastic,

Thank you for reporting 1 year after the repair that everything to still working. It supports that the fix is real and will extend the life of a UE22-Error affected receiver.

Similar reports from other members are welcome.
Luc Wuytack likes this.

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1337 of 1819 Old 03-21-2018, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

To help the UE22-Error repair program be continued by Onkyo, please copy and paste the questions below and answer to the best of your ability. This AVS Forum thread is the official record to document the UE22-Error issue.

Thanks

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Forum members posting criteria:

Please state the following:

Pioneer receiver model/number:
Build date (MFD: month & year):
Purchase date:
UE22 Error display date:
Receiver positioning/placement statement:
Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up:
Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing:

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1338 of 1819 Old 03-21-2018, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unit replacement in Canada

Here is my own UE-22 experience:

Pioneer receiver model/number: Elite VSX-50
Build date (MFD: month & year): July 2011
UE22 Error display date: Dec 2017
Receiver positioning/placement statement: In cabinet, good back and vertical spacing but poor lateral.
Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up: medium usage
Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing: Very similar symptoms to those experienced by others: Started to have intermittent issues in the fall, and by end of year had the permanent UE-22 code and no sound.

I sent all the requested info to Onkyo as suggested in this thread. They immediately offered to repair the Unit. I then shipped it to a local(Canadian) repair center. After a few weeks I contacted them again for an update and they said they where out of parts. Onkyo then offered me a refurb 2017 VSX LX-302 at no extra cost but with only 30 days warranty. I accepted and just received it. Took over two months to get a replacement after sending it for repair.

So it seems that Onkyo now offers replacements in Canada, which did not seem to be the case based on previous comments.
Edllguy likes this.
post #1339 of 1819 Old 03-21-2018, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^Hello tobak. Welcome to AVS Forum.

That is great news that Onkyo/Pioneer Canada offered you a refurb. Before I change/update my first post I would like to see more Canadians offered a refurb.

I don't know how the spare parts inventory works in Canada and the United States, however, it may only be a temporary measure till more spare parts can be produced and then we "may" see the repair offers start again.
timberwolf10014 likes this.

Ambassador for Toronto

Last edited by Edllguy; 03-22-2018 at 05:55 AM.
post #1340 of 1819 Old 03-26-2018, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pioneer receiver model/number: S-65
Build date (MFD: month & year): April 2012
Purchase date: ~October 2012
UE22 Error display date: January 2018
Receiver positioning/placement statement:In a large cubbie with good space around and vent holes in back for decent air circulation
Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up: High
Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing: UE223 would come and go for a week or so, then finally the displayed stayed on and no sound.

I initially tried to go through Pioneer for this and that was a mistake, to say the least (I was unaware at the time of the Onnkyo - Pioneer connection). I then followed the instructions laid out in this thread and I must say things have gone great so far. I received a quick response from an Onkyo Parts and Service rep stating that they were out of parts for my unit and that I could do the refurb thing. But then at the end of the email, the rep stated that they are expecting new parts in April if I want to wait. So I waited. Today (3/26/18) I received an email from the tech stating parts are in and I will be getting a box and label to send my unit in - in 3-5 days. She also stated that I should not wait to send it in; send it right away to ensure parts will still be available when they receive it. So I will do that. Hopefully the repair process will be equally good. She stated it should take 7-10 days after they receive it. I will post a followup.

The rep also stated that although she does not know the chipset part numbers on the replacement, that I will be getting a new HDMI board that does not have the faulty chip(s).

Thanks to Edllguy and everyone else who have put in the time to get this resolved for so many of us.
Edllguy likes this.
post #1341 of 1819 Old 04-03-2018, 05:47 AM

Hi!

I got a VSX-921-K with the same issue.
No sound at all. Firmware not loadable - stop at 20% with Update Error 1.
But I'm from Europe, do you think I can also do your procedure?

thanks for your help & kr,
Martin
post #1342 of 1819 Old 04-03-2018, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverserver1 View Post
Hi!

I got a VSX-921-K with the same issue.
No sound at all. Firmware not loadable - stop at 20% with Update Error 1.
But I'm from Europe, do you think I can also do your procedure?

thanks for your help & kr,
Martin
Hello silverserver1,

You will need a new HDMI board (Main Digital Board) with an updated Texas Instruments DSP chipset "D" version.

The other option is acquiring the TI DSP "D" chipset yourself and replacing the faulty DSP chipset currently on the main digital board. To date, no one that I know of, has acquired the updated DSP chipset themselves to attempt this type of repair. I heard it's very difficult with zero reports that someone has successfully accomplished this.

Also, ONKYO/Pioneer Europe does not offer the free repair program. Only in North America is it being offered.

Sorry for the unfortunate news.

Ambassador for Toronto

Last edited by Edllguy; 04-04-2018 at 03:50 PM.
post #1343 of 1819 Old 04-05-2018, 05:59 AM

Hi Edllguy,

thanks for your help!
I called the Onkyo Support, cause there exists a Userservice programm for AVs between 2009 and 2012 that have no sound or network connection fallout in Europe.
But they don't care about Pioneer devices from that age - even it is the same issue - he didn't deny the faulty TI Chips on both devices, Onkyo and Pio
But the Onkyo man saif, that there also exists an UE22 programm in Europe...
I will check this and update my post here...

by the way... I ordered 2 TI chips with "D" from Malaysia.... we will see if they arrive and if I find smbd who is able so solder them on my board...

If I got the message UE22 on the display back again, I would appreciate and take the easy way with Pioneer...

cheers,
Martin
Luc Wuytack likes this.
post #1344 of 1819 Old 04-05-2018, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^ Keep us updated on the outcome.

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1345 of 1819 Old 04-05-2018, 10:59 AM

Liked: 3
Started Step 1 Today (April 5th, 2018)

Build date (MFD: month & year): August 2011
Purchase date: November 15, 2011
UE22 Error display date: April 4, 2018
Receiver positioning/placement statement: TV Stand Cabinet with glass removed from front doors to utilize the black speaker screen material. 5-6" of space to both sides, 4" above open. No additional spacing below as it is resting on its own 1/2" feet. *Also have a 120mm silent computer fan mounted on rear of cabinet (air flow direction to the rear of cabinet).
Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing: With family watching HULU via XBOX ONE and speakers started to Buzz very loudly. We all jumped including the cats! (holes in my wife's legs to prove it!). I quickly shut off receiver using the button on receiver. Attempted to turned back on the receiver and experienced the UE22 flashing message. Today, April 5th I wasn't able to get the firmware to load and found this thread and started Step 1 of the processes. I hope to get a response soon. It looks like I will be using the TV speakers for a while. No backup receiver as I gave away my 5.1 Sony to a neighbor after falling in love with this one.
post #1346 of 1819 Old 04-05-2018, 11:30 AM

Liked: 3
Update:

I just received an email from "Bryan" from ONKYOUSA, no other information of the rep. provided in signature block.

I just replied to the email with the pictures he requested at 11:27 PDT and crossing fingers to be allowed to moved to the next step.
post #1347 of 1819 Old 04-09-2018, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Resetting error code UE22

Hi,

Last night I got the infamous code. After changing source I got the code flashing.
Turned the SC-LX85 off and went to sleep.
This morning when I turned it on again, the flashing code was there again...

Does anyone tried this before?:
1. Disconnect the amp from the net. Plug it in again.
2. Turn it on. Then hold de standby switch for something like 30 seconds, until it turns off...
3. Turn it on again. Flashing code gone...

Hopefully it stays that way...

For the moment it is playing for an hour or so.
Will report back in a few hours!

Greetings!
post #1348 of 1819 Old 04-09-2018, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc Wuytack View Post
Hi,

Last night I got the infamous code. After changing source I got the code flashing.
Turned the SC-LX85 off and went to sleep.
This morning when I turned it on again, the flashing code was there again...

Does anyone tried this before?:
1. Disconnect the amp from the net. Plug it in again.
2. Turn it on. Then hold de standby switch for something like 30 seconds, until it turns off...
3. Turn it on again. Flashing code gone...

Hopefully it stays that way...

For the moment it is playing for an hour or so.
Will report back in a few hours!

Greetings!
eventually the UE22 will cause your unit to fail completely so I would start documenting and reporting to Onkyo and begin the process of getting it repaired, especially since there is a limited time frame to get the unit repaired on Onkyo's dime. Mine only showed the error occasionally at first and didn't affect the performance but 8 months later my unit stopped functioning.
post #1349 of 1819 Old 04-09-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgarc View Post
eventually the UE22 will cause your unit to fail completely so I would start documenting and reporting to Onkyo and begin the process of getting it repaired, especially since there is a limited time frame to get the unit repaired on Onkyo's dime. Mine only showed the error occasionally at first and didn't affect the performance but 8 months later my unit stopped functioning.
I will certainly do so.
But I need to decouple a lot of connected devices (12 if I'm not mistaken).
And retrieve my bill from purchase.
So I'm up for a challenge
I don't know if it matters, but I'm in Europe, so that can be a little different here...
From the latest questions to Onkyo/Pioneer the last few years, I don't even get a response...
Even my sister-in-law working at "now" Pioneer Car Belgium/Europe tells me it's a hassle!
Tomorrow I will get to it!
I even gonna check what edition of the TI's are in it.
I know I bought it at the end of the 2011 model range, when the new one was released
But tonight I gonna enjoy some great records

FYI, for the moment the code does not reappear...
post #1350 of 1819 Old 04-10-2018, 11:57 AM

Pioneer SC-LX85 error UE22

Pioneer receiver model/number: SC-LX85-K

Build date (MFD: month & year): Januari 2012

Purchase date: 26/06/2013

UE22 Error display date: March 9rd, 2018 (yesterday)

Receiver positioning/placement statement: AV Cabinet with front of cabinet open. At least 10 cm between receiver and other components (no excessive heat, room temperature), so airflow is guaranteed. Free standing (30 cm space above the amp).

Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing: Was working fine sunday night with no indication whatsoever. In the night suddenly it started flashing the UE22 code. The morning after turned on the receiver and got the UE22 error again. A softboot cleared the message. Today (10/04/2018), while playing a cd, a loud harsh metallic sound through the speakers, and the amp went dead, flashing the UE22!! The amp has the faulty TI D810K013BZKB4.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above was sent to Onkyo Europe.

--> It played 16 hours straight with no problems, but in the afternoon "crack" and went dead for a while. After a couple of times deconnecting and powering up, the amp came back alive... Still flashing the code UE22. Looking inside I found that it contains the faulty B version of the TI's. I also noticed that the fan doesn't spin, so the amp gets warmer than usually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page