UE22 Error Master Thread-Pioneer, are you listening? - Page 58 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 523Likes

post #1711 of 1762 Old 05-22-2019, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperZ View Post
Received tracking information from FedEx that my receiver was picked up from Panurgy today for delivery to me next week.
That was quick!

I just dropped mine off at FedEx, so I expect they will cross on the highway in Kansas or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1762 Old 05-23-2019, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoutts View Post
"planned obsolescence"? I don't reckon. Engineers make mistakes. I work in the electronic design industry, and occasionally these things happen... you design a circuit then find out years later the component you chose had a design flaw that noone knew about, including the designer/manufacturer of the component. Things ain't simple these days. In this case Texas Instruments discovered the fault, issued a Product Withdrawal Notification (http://media.digikey.com/PDF/PCNs/Te...114000_Obs.pdf) and Pioneer/Onkyo made the decision to stand behind their product and try to fix as many as they feasibly could. That's pretty damn good of them I reckon. Bear in mind these units are 7-8 years old now, which for electronics these days is actually pretty old.

I'm in New Zealand, where heaps have been sold, and we don't get a repair offer either. Hence why I'm trying to fix it myself.
Claiming "planned obsolescence" may have been too harsh of me. But I don't applaud Pioneer/Onkyo for their lack of effort. They knew about the failing chips, and should have repaired all that is having the UE22 problem. I bought mine in 2013, and it was 5 and a half year when it began cutting the sound when switching HDMI inputs/sources.

Anyway, I got a bit inspired by your plan (and randomrat), trying to swap the chips.
I've got the QFP chips too (2 dsp's), but I'm not sure my tools are good enough. But are you sure it's enough to just swap them? "M Code", post 1551, says it's not enough to just swap them, because the chips have custom Pioneer software/firmware on them. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post57212814
post #1713 of 1762 Old 05-23-2019, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalom View Post
Claiming "planned obsolescence" may have been too harsh of me. But I don't applaud Pioneer/Onkyo for their lack of effort. They knew about the failing chips, and should have repaired all that is having the UE22 problem. I bought mine in 2013, and it was 5 and a half year when it began cutting the sound when switching HDMI inputs/sources.

Anyway, I got a bit inspired by your plan (and randomrat), trying to swap the chips.
I've got the QFP chips too (2 dsp's), but I'm not sure my tools are good enough. But are you sure it's enough to just swap them? "M Code", post 1551, says it's not enough to just swap them, because the chips have custom Pioneer software/firmware on them. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post57212814
From what I gsther from other posts on this massive thread, you may have to program the FW. The DSP FW is not stored on the DSP chip(s) itself, but on a small flash memory chip nearby. My plan is to replace the DSP IC, then check the FW version. If still ***, then I'll have to go through the process of removing the flash chip, programming using some sort of generic flash programmer device, and solder back on. Hope it doesn't come to that. I think as long as you haven't tried to upgrade the FW while the unit is exhibiting errors, the FW should still be in tact on the flash memory chip.

But I could be completely wrong! Time will tell. My VSX-922 is different to your amp (only 1 DSP, and a different model chip) so it might work differently.
zzattack likes this.

Last edited by ccoutts; 05-23-2019 at 04:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1714 of 1762 Old 05-24-2019, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I got confirmation today that they will repair my SC65, I should receive the shipping box by Wednesday of next week. Depending on when it gets here, I will likely ship it back to them that same day. @OP I was not offered a discount, Im not certain if that is still available and inadvertently omitted, or if that part of the program no longer exists.
Edllguy likes this.
post #1715 of 1762 Old 05-24-2019, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 113
^^^ Good news! Keep us updated.

Are you from U.S. or Canada?

The reason I ask is Canadians can only be approved for repairs whereas Americans are offered 2 options of repair or discount on refurbished inventory.

All the best.
Gator Bait Bill likes this.

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1716 of 1762 Old 05-24-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
^^^ Good news! Keep us updated.

Are you from U.S. or Canada?

The reason I ask is Canadians can only be approved for repairs whereas Americans are offered 2 options of repair or discount on refurbished inventory.

All the best.
I am American, I will keep it updated for sure. I am so thankful for this thread, I would have been out of luck if it had not been for this info!
post #1717 of 1762 Old 05-25-2019, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Recently affected by the UE22-Error and in the process of having your Pioneer receiver repaired or opting for a discounted refurbished Pioneer receiver?

To help the UE22-Error program be continued by Onkyo, please copy and paste the questions below and answer to the best of your ability.

This AVS Forum thread is the official record to document the UE22-Error issue.

Thanks

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Forum members posting criteria:

Please state the following:
  • Pioneer receiver model/number:
  • Build date (MFD: month & year):
  • Purchase date:
  • UE22 Error display date:
  • Receiver positioning/placement statement:
  • Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up:
  • Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing:

Ambassador for Toronto

Last edited by Edllguy; 05-25-2019 at 06:34 PM.
post #1718 of 1762 Old 05-26-2019, 02:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, first of all I want to thank you all for this topic!
My pioneer vsx 921-k has the same symthomps (except it doesn't show the UE22 message, but has no sound at all and shows *** as dsp version; everything else is fine).
I'm managing to swap the DSP, but I think also that the dsp FW got corrupted (bc I've tried the full update when the DSP was already dead).
So I'm asking you: can anyone help me sending a dump of the FW of the DSP? I've heard that 921 and 1021 share the same...
Please, I want this unit alive and kicking again :/

ps. also I live in europe, and there is no repair program here
post #1719 of 1762 Old 05-26-2019, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19

• Pioneer receiver model/number: VSX-60
  • Build date (MFD: month & year): 09/12
  • Purchase date: Sometime in 01/13
  • UE22 Error display date: 05/05/2019
  • Receiver positioning/placement statement: Receiver in TV stand 9" top clearance
  • Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up: Daily usage
  • Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing: Turned on, no sound, UE22 error. Worked perfectly previous day.

My receiver is currently on it's way back to me after repair through the program.
Edllguy likes this.

Resistance is not futile.
We refuse to be assimilated.
-rjp
post #1720 of 1762 Old 05-28-2019, 05:28 PM

Liked: 2
Finally, Pioneer/onkyo is ready to repair my Pioneer Receiver SC-67 after 9 months.
I have sent my SC-67 to Repair facility today. They sent me a box and return shipping label.
In this 9 month process, I was offered refurbished and discounted new one. They said that they did not have part. But, I did not take any offer and keep following up for parts repair.

I believe they have recently changed the repair service provider to PanurgyOEM who has ability to do component repair instead of replacing whole board. This might have changed the equation.

All who have been declined repairs on SC-67/Sc-68, there is chance that it can be repaired.

All the best!!

Thanks to Edlguy, SuperZ and other members in this forum to keep our hopes alive.
Edllguy likes this.
post #1721 of 1762 Old 05-29-2019, 05:46 AM

• Pioneer receiver model/number: Sc-65
  • Build date (MFD: month & year):June 2012
  • Purchase date: November 2012
  • UE22 Error display date: 5/17/2019
  • Receiver positioning/placement statement: On open shelf with excellent airflow (nothing above or around it)
  • Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up: I would say High, daily usage
  • Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing: Had sound, started flashing UE22 still had sound and then nothing
Quick update, Yesterday I received an email about the trade in program. I'm not certain why they did not bring it up before hand. I was "recommended" a SC-LX701 for 960 USD. The email lead me to believe there may be others to choose from but no info given on how to find out. I should receive the shipping box today and will likely ship the receiver out today.
post #1722 of 1762 Old 05-30-2019, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^Based on previous posts in this thread the refurbished receiver options have been usually 2 or 3 different models.

However, this only applies to American owners not Canadians. I think a Canadian was accidently offered a discounted refurbished Pioneer model...don't know if it was followed through on or was declined after error was realized. Never heard back on this thread how things went.

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1723 of 1762 Old 06-03-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperZ View Post

• Pioneer receiver model/number: VSX-60
  • Build date (MFD: month & year): 09/12
  • Purchase date: Sometime in 01/13
  • UE22 Error display date: 05/05/2019
  • Receiver positioning/placement statement: Receiver in TV stand 9" top clearance
  • Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up: Daily usage
  • Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing: Turned on, no sound, UE22 error. Worked perfectly previous day.

My receiver is currently on it's way back to me after repair through the program.

Recieved today after being on vacation last week. Took a couple of hours to get everything hooked up and get the settings right (Couldn't figure out the washed out looking picture). So far works perfectly as before. Will report back at the end of the week.
Edllguy likes this.

-rjp
post #1724 of 1762 Old 06-05-2019, 02:57 AM

Hi to everyone here. I live in Johannesburg, South Africa.

I've been following this discussion for about 8 months now and decided to register and see if I have any possible recourse or if someone here can point me in the right direction. I have a Pioneer VSX-921-k and also got the dreaded UE22 Error that started and eventually everything stopped working. The Amp cost me about R8000.00 (ZAR) = $545,00 and anything like buying a DSP Chip or whatever is required, when you convert SA Rand's to US Dollars (Exchange Rate = $1 = R14.38) it becomes ridiculous and not worth the money. I have in the meantime purchased a TX-SR-373 Onkyo AV Receiver (Not the greatest amplifier, but all I could afford, and still putting my faith in a company that now owns Pioneer)

My Pioneer VSX-921-k was a nice piece of equipment and I don't want to see it just gather dust or be thrown away, so any advice as to the way forward (If anything) would be great.

Thanks, Piers.
post #1725 of 1762 Old 06-13-2019, 01:35 PM

I got my receiver back today. Havent had a chance as of yet to hook it up. The repair slip sen by PanurgyOEM says under repair description No audio replaced HDMI BD CHECKED ALL PORTS AND CHANNELS. part number AWX1199 Part description Main Control ASSY. Is that correct for the UE22 fix? I was expecting a part number as shown in OPS first posts of this thread. Thanks in advance for the info.
post #1726 of 1762 Old 06-13-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Bait Bill View Post
I got my receiver back today. Havent had a chance as of yet to hook it up. The repair slip sen by PanurgyOEM says under repair description No audio replaced HDMI BD CHECKED ALL PORTS AND CHANNELS. part number AWX1199 Part description Main Control ASSY. Is that correct for the UE22 fix? I was expecting a part number as shown in OPS first posts of this thread. Thanks in advance for the info.

Mine says generally the same thing with the exception of the P/N. I have a different unit. Seems that they swap out the entire HDMI board that has the defective sound chips on them.

I have had mine hooked up for 10 days or so with daily use. Working perfectly.

I want to thank everyone on this forum. Without it I would have spent a fortune on a new unit.

-rjp
post #1727 of 1762 Old 06-13-2019, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^

That is correct. They replace the whole HDMI board (Main Control ASSY).

Other terms that have been used are DIGITAL MAIN ASSY board or main digital board.

I'm going to speculate that it is more cost efficient for them to replace the whole HDMI board instead of 1 or 2 chips.

We have to remember that they are probably repairing hundreds of receivers as opposed to random repairs and they figured this is the best way.

How they are sourcing spare HDMI boards with the correct chips... that is a mystery to me.

Ambassador for Toronto

Last edited by Edllguy; 06-18-2019 at 05:59 AM.
post #1728 of 1762 Old 06-14-2019, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3
List of repairable models?

Is there a list of Pioneer models that Onkyo will repair, vs offering a discount on new product?

I had contacted them about the DSP failure in my VSX-1121-K, and was told "parts are no longer being made" so they couldn't repair it.
Even with the discounts, I would have been looking at around $600 to get something with equivalent input and preamp out capabilities, so I passed.
I would still like to have this repaired though.

• Pioneer receiver model/number: VSX-1121-K
  • Build date (MFD: month & year): November 2011
  • Purchase date: February 22, 2012
  • UE22 Error display date: No error code but garbled sound, then no sound since around August 2018
  • Receiver positioning/placement statement: Receiver in ventilated Sanus A/V cabinet
  • Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing: When first powered on, the receiver works fine, but after a short time, it starts speaking gibberish, and eventually no sound. Amplifier section still plays if I feed signal into the preamp-out jacks.

Last edited by JACook; 06-14-2019 at 05:47 PM.
post #1729 of 1762 Old 06-14-2019, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^Welcome to AVS Forum!

What we are suggesting on this thread is that if you want to have your unit repaired you must follow all the steps in post number one exactly line by line.

We have noticed that if you "cold call" Pioneer or Onkyo that you will be disappointed by their response due to the wrong level of customer care/support being contacted.

All the best.

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1730 of 1762 Old 06-15-2019, 12:11 AM

Liked: 3
Quote:
^^^Welcome to AVS Forum!

What we are suggesting on this thread is that if you want to have your unit repaired you must follow all the steps in post number one exactly line by line.

We have noticed that if you "cold call" Pioneer or Onkyo that you will be disappointed by their response due to the wrong level of customer care/support being contacted.

All the best.
Thank you for the response. I've been visiting for several years, but hadn't posted before today.

Actually, I had followed the steps from post #1 .
Filled out the web contact form, and was contacted by an Onkyo Product Support Rep.
Sent the photos and information they requested, then I got the response saying they couldn't get parts, and offered new product at a discount.
I followed up with an email to OnkyoUSA parts, and again supplied the requested information
I then received an email from the same Onkyo Product Support Rep as before, who again told me they couldn't get parts, and offered new product at a discount.

This exchange occurred late November / early December 2018.
Would there be anything to be gained by trying again?
post #1731 of 1762 Old 06-15-2019, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACook View Post
Thank you for the response. I've been visiting for several years, but hadn't posted before today.

Actually, I had followed the steps from post #1 .
Filled out the web contact form, and was contacted by an Onkyo Product Support Rep.
Sent the photos and information they requested, then I got the response saying they couldn't get parts, and offered new product at a discount.
I followed up with an email to OnkyoUSA parts, and again supplied the requested information
I then received an email from the same Onkyo Product Support Rep as before, who again told me they couldn't get parts, and offered new product at a discount.

This exchange occurred late November / early December 2018.
Would there be anything to be gained by trying again?
I would suggest you try again. Circumstances such as parts availability may have changed over the last six months.

Let us know the outcome.

All the best.

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1732 of 1762 Old 06-17-2019, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just wanted to confirm that as of June, 2019, I was offered a trade-in discount on the receivers below.
SC-LX701 $960.00
VSX-LX504 $599.40

I had the UE22 error show up on my 2013 SC-67.

Last edited by mulciber; 06-17-2019 at 05:58 PM.
post #1733 of 1762 Old 06-20-2019, 06:49 PM

My VSX-1021k gave me the UE22 code for Father's Day while cuing up Saving Private Ryan. After following the prescribed procedure on this thread I received on June 19 an email from Onkyo/Pioneer that the repair program has ended. I am being offered a trade-in for a VSX-LX104 for $299. My question is this: The biggest feature I use is the ability for the wife to listen to TV output on main speakers in the house, while I listen to another source out on my patio via Zone B. Will the LX104 be able to do this? I understand how Zone B works, but a little unclear on "two zone audio supported". I dont want to order the LX104 then find out it will only play the same source inside the house and out.
post #1734 of 1762 Old 06-21-2019, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

We are now receiving reports that the UE22 repair program has ended. This does not include the reduced price offer of refurbished Pioneer receivers (United States only).

However, before we come to a definite conclusion I would like this verified from multiple reports/sources on this thread.

There is a possibility that parts have run out for some specific models but there may be some inventory left for other models.

I rely on the feedback on this thread to make conclusions about the status of the repair program.

Thanks to everyone for your contributions since the inception of this thread.

Ambassador for Toronto

Last edited by Edllguy; 06-21-2019 at 01:19 PM.
post #1735 of 1762 Old 06-22-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
We are now receiving reports that the UE22 repair program has ended. This does not include the reduced price offer of refurbished Pioneer receivers (United States only).

However, before we come to a definite conclusion I would like this verified from multiple reports/sources on this thread.

There is a possibility that parts have run out for some specific models but there may be some inventory left for other models.

I rely on the feedback on this thread to make conclusions about the status of the repair program.

Thanks to everyone for your contributions since the inception of this thread.
Hi, here in Italy a guy is selling a used unit sc-lx75 without the eu22 error. He says that he bought it in 2013. How can I know ehen it as actually manufactured? If I understood correctly there should be no issue if manufactured second hald of 2013.

Thanks
Best regards
Tommaso
post #1736 of 1762 Old 06-22-2019, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabberthomson View Post
Hi, here in Italy a guy is selling a used unit sc-lx75 without the eu22 error. He says that he bought it in 2013. How can I know ehen it as actually manufactured? If I understood correctly there should be no issue if manufactured second hald of 2013.

Thanks
Best regards
Tommaso
Hello Tommaso, welcome to AVSForum!

There is a sticker on the back of the receiver that states "MFD: month & year"

Based on the information that I have gathered...if your receiver states a manufacturing date of March 2013 it will most likely have the defective DSP chips, however, if it is April 2013 or later it should be good.

April 2013 was Pioneers second production run where they implemented Texas Instruments (TI) notification of changing to the "D" version of the TI DSP chips.

All the best.

Edit: And just a reminder that all Pioneer receivers manufactured in 2011 and 2012 globally were manufactured with the defective TI DSP chips.

Ambassador for Toronto

Last edited by Edllguy; 06-22-2019 at 09:59 AM.
post #1737 of 1762 Old 06-22-2019, 10:40 AM

I guess nothiing to do then... see image attached.
Thanks for your clarifications.

Quote:
Hello Tommaso, welcome to AVSForum!

There is a sticker on the back of the receiver that states "MFD: month & year"

Based on the information that I have gathered...if your receiver states a manufacturing date of March 2013 it will most likely have the defective DSP chips, however, if it is April 2013 or later it should be good.

April 2013 was Pioneers second production run where they implemented Texas Instruments (TI) notification of changing to the "D" version of the TI DSP chips.

All the best.

Edit: And just a reminder that all Pioneer receivers manufactured in 2011 and 2012 globally were manufactured with the defective TI DSP chips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190622-WA0004.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	2583218  
post #1738 of 1762 Old 06-23-2019, 10:36 AM

Glad this tread was started as it makes me feel like I'm not the only one affected. My SC-57 began showing this error recently, and for a while I could reset the stereo and get it to work - but no more. I am hoping that pioneer will stand behind their product even out of warranty since I am been purchasing Pioneer since 1983 (my first real receiver) and several since then. The SC57 was the best they offered that year, and I figured it would last at least 10 years, so I spent the extra money. Anyway...

Just sent the email off as described above.
  • My stereo is an SC-57
  • Built September 2011
  • Purchased December 18, 2011
  • UE22 Started Dec 2018
  • The stereo lives in an open table underneath the TV in a dark area of our media room
  • The stereo has seen medium usage since purchased (mainly used for TV and Movie sound and low volume.)
  • The problem is unpredictable - the stereo would work for a week or 2 at a time, then stop. Removing power and then restarting would always correct the problem until now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1303(1).jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	2583474   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1300(1).jpg
Views:	10
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2583476  
post #1739 of 1762 Old 06-23-2019, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^ Welcome to AVSForum Glynn! Sorry to hear about your UE22 error occurrence.

Like you said, there are many other affected owners, most likely hundreds or thousands.

Please let us know the outcome of your claim submission. What were trying to determine is, are there still parts available for certain models even though it is being reported that "the repair program has ended" by some accounts.

It has been reported before that the UE22 Error repair program has ended, only to hear a while later that someone was approved for a 1 time repair.

All the best.

Ambassador for Toronto

Last edited by Edllguy; 06-23-2019 at 12:33 PM.
post #1740 of 1762 Old 06-24-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoutts View Post
Thanks for the tips!

Yeah, I'm wondering that with mine too... go to all of the effort to swap chips, and find something else is stuffed. Still, worth a try with a $1000 amp.
Hi, any news regarding your atempts swapping the chip?

I'll guess this case would be interesting for more people now that Onkyo/Pioneer is shutting down the repair-program.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page