UE22 Error Master Thread-Pioneer, are you listening? - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 528Likes

post #1741 of 1782 Old 06-24-2019, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I posted to this thread on 5/21/19. Since then my SC-1222-k receiver has been repaired under the program and returned to me (on 6/18/19). I hooked it back up yesterday, and everything is working as it should.

The repair description stated: "No audio. Replaced HDMI board and checked all ports and channels." The lone replacement part is shown as #AWX1200 (Digital Main ASSY). PanurgyOEM did a thorough cleaning of all the components as inside the case is perfectly clean.

Initially, Technical Support at Onkyo/Pioneer offered a trade-in for SC-LX701 in amount of $960. I inquired as to whether PanurgyOEM was still performing repairs. Their response was that the repair program had ended several months ago; however, they noted a board was available and offered me the repair option, which I took. I submitted a support request via Onkyo website on 4/22/19 and had the repaired received back in my hands on 6/18/19. Without this thread, I never would have known there was a repair program for this issue. For that, I say thank you to Edllguy and others who worked to bring this issue to the attention of the AVSforum members, and kept working with Onkyo/Pioneer.

I have not provided the below for the thread, but will do so now.

Please state the following:
Pioneer receiver model/number: SC-1222-K
Build date (MFD: month & year):
Purchase date: 6/30/13
UE22 Error display date: Week of 4/15/19
Receiver positioning/placement statement: media cabinet; 3 inches of space at each side and top, open at rear and front.
Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up: High Usage. Basically, 14 to 16 hours daily since purchase.
Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing: UE22 code began flashing. Sound quality diminished, with noticeable crackling/noise from speakers. When receiver was turned off then on again, sound would cut out multiple times over 15 minutes, before finally stabilizing.
Edllguy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 1782 Old 06-24-2019, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalom View Post
Hi, any news regarding your atempts swapping the chip?

I'll guess this case would be interesting for more people now that Onkyo/Pioneer is shutting down the repair-program.

Bit of a drama getting the chip I'm afraid... Aliexpress sent it but it never arrived. I'm in the process of getting them to accept liability and refund. I'll post an update though, whenever I get the chip.
post #1743 of 1782 Old 06-26-2019, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
We are now receiving reports that the UE22 repair program has ended. This does not include the reduced price offer of refurbished Pioneer receivers (United States only).
Just received word this morning that I will be receiving a box to send my VSX-1121 to Panurgy, So maybe they are not completely done yet,.
Many thanks for your help.
Edllguy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1744 of 1782 Old 06-26-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I would suggest you try again. Circumstances such as parts availability may have changed over the last six months.

Let us know the outcome.

All the best.
So I sent the web form, and received the expected trade-in offer from Onkyo Product Support.
Followed that up with an email to Onkyo parts
This morning I received a very welcome reply saying that they are sending a box for the trip to Panurgy.
Perhaps I got in just in the nick of time...

I cannot thank you enough for your help, and for your tireless work on this forum.
And kudos to Onkyo for being willing to make good on a problem that has affected so many. I will not forget.
Edllguy likes this.

Last edited by JACook; 06-26-2019 at 07:55 AM.
post #1745 of 1782 Old 06-26-2019, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 113
^^^It is clearly evident from this thread that Gibson/Onkyo stands behind their products.

Edit: Even if it is only in North America. Social media on this side of the world can make or break a company.

Ambassador for Toronto

Last edited by Edllguy; 06-26-2019 at 01:03 PM.
post #1746 of 1782 Old 06-26-2019, 07:01 PM

Liked: 10
My SC-57 finally crapped out and I contacted Pioneer/Onkyo via support email. Here's what I got back:

"Your unit is one of those that can be potentially affected by the UE 22 issue. Please respond to this email and include the following information and items:

Model#-
Serial#-
Full Name-
Complete Shipping Address-
Phone #-
A picture of the front and back of the unit, the front should clearly show the model# and the back MUST clearly show the serial#.

We can offer you a trade in option; these are the models I would suggest for you:

SC-LX901- $1499.40
VSXLX504-$599.40

Once you have chosen a model we will send you a form to complete, sign and mail back to us. Please note that these prices include standard shipping but depending on your state, you may be charged sales tax
Regards"

I replied asking whether the units they offer are new/refurb since it wasn't stated in the email. My guess would be new but I'd rather be sure. Either - or, it's kinda weird that the VSX-LX504 is discounted by 33% and the SC-LX901 by much much less in comparison ( when looking at Amazon prices: $899 and $1750 respectively- and yes according to Pioneer.com Amazon is an authorized dealer). Add to that the VSX is a brand new unit that came out in late March this year it's really hard to find a decent review.
I wouldn't mind going with the cheaper unit which obviously would save me a ton of $$ but the power output is roughly half of the SC-57 ( I'm driving two 300watt 8ohm CVs) and I'm not sure how the VSX would hold up even when BI-amped.
Could you guys provide some input which to go for.....it would be greatly appreciated. I haven't really kept up to date whats new and such.

Thanks
post #1747 of 1782 Old 07-02-2019, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 38
* Pioneer SC-1522 K
* Build date: April 2012
* Purchased 4/14/2013
* UE22 Error display date June 14, 2019
* Receiver placed bottom open self rack
* Pioneer receiver high in set up
* UE22 error came on abour two weeks ago sporadically and last week rebooting worked but last week UE22 code remained with no sound.

Thanks for all the hard work in this thread. I thought the bad boards/chips was an Onkyo problem, unfortunately it affected Pioneer as well. After googling the error code I was lucky to find this thread. I followed the procedure yesterday after getting pics from receipt, back of unit & UE22 error code. I started with step one & was surprised that they emailed me back in 2 hours but unfortunately said, " We do have a trade in program that you can take advantage of, please note that price includes standard shipping (taxes may need to be added depending on the state you live in).
The unit I would suggest is: SC-LX901 for $1499.40.

I then emailed parts dept and luckily they said, " Onkyo decided after locating the part to service this unit for a one time only, fixing this specific issue UE22. I was told to notify you upfront that if the service center finds unrelated issues in the receiver you be changed for that.

If you are interested in fixing this unit please fill out the shipping information as outlined in red in this email."

So hopefully I get the shipping box to send my unit out for repair.
Edllguy likes this.

LG OLED65C6P - OPPO UDP-203 - Pioneer SC-1522K - Emotiva XPA-3 - Polk RTI12 & CSiA6 - SVS PB12-NSD - TiVo ota Roamio
post #1748 of 1782 Old 07-02-2019, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^ Great! Please keep us updated.

All the best.

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1749 of 1782 Old 07-02-2019, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quick reminder everyone...that if your Pioneer unit displays UE22 DO NOT attempt to update the firmware!

If you do it will cause more harm and complicate the repair process.

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1750 of 1782 Old 07-02-2019, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Recently affected by the UE22-Error and in the process of having your Pioneer receiver repaired or opting for a discounted refurbished Pioneer receiver?

To help the UE22-Error program be continued by Onkyo, please copy and paste the questions below and answer to the best of your ability.

This AVS Forum thread is the official record to document the UE22-Error issue.

Thanks

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Forum members posting criteria:

Pioneer receiver model/number:
Purchase date:
UE22 Error display date:
Receiver positioning/placement statement:
Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up:
Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing:

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1751 of 1782 Old 07-03-2019, 06:47 AM

Crazy fast service, I accepted repair offer Tues, couples hours later got shipping box confirmation & Fedex tracking #. Expected delivery is today so I have never experienced such a fast turnaround before.

Quote:
^^^ Great! Please keep us updated.

All the best.
Edllguy likes this.

LG OLED65C6P - OPPO UDP-203 - Pioneer SC-1522K - Emotiva XPA-3 - Polk RTI12 & CSiA6 - SVS PB12-NSD - TiVo ota Roamio
post #1752 of 1782 Old 07-03-2019, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^Awesome! Let us know when you receive back your repaired receiver and it's all hooked up.

Feedback from other affected users who have had their receiver repaired is most welcome on this thread.

Thanks

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1753 of 1782 Old 07-03-2019, 10:42 AM

Wow Fedex guy actually dropped off on my floor usually they just leave deliveries on the floor lobby. Box came noon & I didn't want wait for a fedex pickup so I droppedt off @ Fedex. Hopefully Pioneer doesn't get destroyed in transit since delivery services are pretty harsh with heavy packages & mine is @Lea st 40lbs. And if it does get damaged I hope I get a new atmos receiver...haha

post #1754 of 1782 Old 07-09-2019, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to zzattack
@randomrat : feel free to contact me for help with getting your HDMI output working again. It's not the hardest feature to diagnose if you have the service manual!
Edllguy likes this.
post #1755 of 1782 Old 07-11-2019, 05:34 PM

Update, incredibly fast return this past Tues, 7/9 considering PanurgyOEM receiving the unit Friday 7/5. I reconnected the Pioneer & everything seems to work except the surround back right channel. Unfortunate but not a deal breaker since those channels aren't used much. For a 6 year old receiver with a free repair detect I am completely satisfied. Thanks all who guided me to thru this painless process. If anyone knows a fix for my rear surround channel that would be nice and if anyone knows where to get a replacement remote for a Pioneer SC-1422 C receiver since my original one has non-responsive buttons which makes it hard to use and my Logitech universal remotes are ok but as anyone knows there's alot of buttons on these remotes.
Edllguy likes this.

post #1756 of 1782 Old 07-16-2019, 01:45 PM

Success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACook View Post
Just received word this morning that I will be receiving a box to send my VSX-1121 to Panurgy, So maybe they are not completely done yet,.
Many thanks for your help.
FedEx delivered the brown box back to me today, with a packing slip what says:
"NO AUDIO, REPLACED HDMI BOARD CHECKED ALL PORTS AND CHANNELS"

Being the curious sort, I opened it up and snapped a photo.
Many thanks to Onkyo, and especially to Edllguy and the crew at AVS Forum!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3212.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2591524  
Edllguy likes this.
post #1757 of 1782 Old 07-16-2019, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^Nice picture.

I've included it in post number two at the beginning of this thread.

Thanks

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1758 of 1782 Old 07-17-2019, 08:13 PM

Liked: 10
My receiver is an SC-68. Do I need to go to pioneer website in Step 1 of the 4 steps listed on page 1? Or do I still go to onkyousa? I have the UE22 Error. No sound. Is there a different parts email for Pioneer?
post #1759 of 1782 Old 07-17-2019, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^Go to Onkyousa website.

Follow steps exactly as outlined in post number one.

Let us know the outcome.

All the best.

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1760 of 1782 Old 07-17-2019, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Recently affected by the UE22-Error and in the process of having your Pioneer receiver repaired or opting for a discounted refurbished Pioneer receiver?

To help the UE22-Error program be continued by Onkyo, please copy and paste the questions below and answer to the best of your ability.

Thanks

Purchase date:
UE22 Error display date:
Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up:
Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing:

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1761 of 1782 Old 07-19-2019, 10:16 AM

Liked: 11
Red face UE Error Onkyo/Pioneer Repair/Replacement Program

About 3:00 am this morning, I followed Step 2 in the 1st post of this thread in order to attempt to get my receiver repaired for the UE22 error code. I was unsure it would work since I have a Pioneer receiver and I was on the Onkyo support website.

I woke up this morning and received this email...

Hello

Your unit has been scheduled for a one-time free service repair for the UE22 error message.

Your work order number is R*****. A box and label will be sent to you, please allow 5-7 business days for delivery. We will service the unit for the loss of audio(UE22) issue only, and then send it back to you. It will come with a 90 day warranty

Your unit will be going:

Panurgy OEM
701 Ford Road
Rockaway, NJ 07866
973-625-4056

The program is obviously still being offered. In fact, when you click on the Onkyousa support page, there is a dedicated link for repairs for Onkyo receivers that have lost Audio and Networking capabilities; I wasn't able to proceed because my Pioneer S/N did not match the character format of Onkyo receivers. I then proceeded to Step 2 in the 1st post and emailed the Parts Department. I wasn't even offered to purchase a discounted replacement receiver. This comes with a VERY limited 90 day warranty. Hopefully the parts being used to repair these units aren't defective.

I wouldn't even know about this program if it wasn't for this website. Thanks for all of the info AVS members!!
Edllguy likes this.
post #1762 of 1782 Old 07-19-2019, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^Great. Since it appears the UE22 repair program is still intact I would encourage affected owners to continue to submit repair claims.

I can only speculate that owners who have submitted claims may have contacted the wrong level of support either accidently or have not followed the directions in post number one, step 1 step 2 step 3 etc...

The good news is people are still getting their receivers repaired through the repair program.

And just a reminder that I rely on reports posted in this thread to assess the status of the repair program. That's why I always state that before I come to any conclusion here...I need reports from multiple sources.

Ambassador for Toronto

Last edited by Edllguy; 07-20-2019 at 04:26 AM.
post #1763 of 1782 Old 07-23-2019, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Hmmm... I wonder how much longer my Pioneer SC-67 is going to last... It still is working fine after all these years... I did put heat sinks on all the DSP chips on the HDMI board when i bought it...
Edllguy likes this.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #1764 of 1782 Old 07-28-2019, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calavs View Post
About 3:00 am this morning, I followed Step 2 in the 1st post of this thread in order to attempt to get my receiver repaired for the UE22 error code. I was unsure it would work since I have a Pioneer receiver and I was on the Onkyo support website.

I woke up this morning and received this email...

Hello

Your unit has been scheduled for a one-time free service repair for the UE22 error message.

Your work order number is R*****. A box and label will be sent to you, please allow 5-7 business days for delivery. We will service the unit for the loss of audio(UE22) issue only, and then send it back to you. It will come with a 90 day warranty

Your unit will be going:

Panurgy OEM
701 Ford Road
Rockaway, NJ 07866
973-625-4056

The program is obviously still being offered. In fact, when you click on the Onkyousa support page, there is a dedicated link for repairs for Onkyo receivers that have lost Audio and Networking capabilities; I wasn't able to proceed because my Pioneer S/N did not match the character format of Onkyo receivers. I then proceeded to Step 2 in the 1st post and emailed the Parts Department. I wasn't even offered to purchase a discounted replacement receiver. This comes with a VERY limited 90 day warranty. Hopefully the parts being used to repair these units aren't defective.

I wouldn't even know about this program if it wasn't for this website. Thanks for all of the info AVS members!!
Please let us know the outcome when you receive back your receiver and it's all hooked up.

All the best.

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1765 of 1782 Old 07-28-2019, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Another friendly reminder that if your Pioneer receiver displays the "UE22" message...

DO NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE...

Doing so can corrupt the DSP firmware and cause additional problems when you send in your receiver for repair.

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1766 of 1782 Old 07-28-2019, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks

Purchase date:
UE22 Error display date:

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1767 of 1782 Old 07-28-2019, 12:45 PM

Liked: 11
Thumbs down Update

That's to bad. I updated my firmware 1st. The firmware update is the error code resolution in the owner's manual. Go figure.

Quote:
Another friendly reminder that if your Pioneer receiver displays the "UE22" message...

DO NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE...

Doing so can corrupt the DSP firmware and cause additional problems when you send in your receiver for repair.
post #1768 of 1782 Old 08-01-2019, 07:08 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzattack View Post
Both will work but the 'B' version will fail again in some years. Chips ending in 4, 400 or 456 are all compatible.
Hello zzattack,

You still fixing UE22 error with Chip switch?
I'm also from the Netherlands

I hope u can help me
post #1769 of 1782 Old 08-01-2019, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Send a message via Skype™ to zzattack
Yes I am, still have a bit of everything in stock
Edllguy likes this.
post #1770 of 1782 Old 08-01-2019, 07:16 AM