UE22 Error Master Thread-Pioneer, are you listening? - Page 61 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 550Likes

post #1801 of 1853 Old 09-12-2019, 02:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
First of all I sent an email to Onkyo uk stating my error code and how to proceed. They sent me a list of service centres to contact, I did, but the service centre said that because of the error and the known defection of the chipsets that I would need to take it up with Onkyo.

I told Onkyo this and this is what they replied with...

This is not the case I am afraid, the service centre is incorrect. There is no such program here in Europe for Pioneer models and any repair that is needed will have to be carried out at a service centre at your own cost I am afraid.
You may have been misled by a program in the US for a similar issue, but due to the fact that US models are differently designed and that Pioneer US is run by a different company, the decisions made by management are not the same in the two companies and here in Europe the issue is to be resolved at a service centre.
Best Regards

Stuart

Where the hell do I go from here?? Do I even have a legal leg to stand on? I bought the receiver about 7 years ago on finance and finished paying for it around 2 years ago if that makes any difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 1853 Old 09-12-2019, 11:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked: 574
The program is for North America (US/Canada) only.

As you're currently in the EU, you are covered under the EU consumer protection laws, which may demand a certain warranty length beyond what the manufacturer gives you (usually for expected lifetime), so you could have a "free" extended warranty. (It's not free - it was built into the price which is why stuff costs more in the EU).

Naturally manufacturers will never tell you this, hoping for ignorance, so you need to check your country's laws. It could very well be under warranty still so you need to assert your rights if this is the case. And if not, you may be able to get redress from the retailer.

And don't be put down by any time limits, sometimes you might be covered because it's a known fault with a known defective part.

Also check your credit card, they may offer additional warranty as well. Though since you financed it you might not be covered unless you paid via credit card.

I suggest doing some research, and check both UK laws and EU laws (but hurry because Oct 31 is coming fast)
post #1803 of 1853 Old 09-13-2019, 05:45 AM

^ Thanks for the reply. I’ll be sure to check where I stand on EU consumer law. Off the top of my head I think warranty is 6 years so I could be out of luck with that but I’m still sticking to my guns about the defective hardware and that Onkyo/Pioneer have acknowledged this manufacturing defect by giving out repairs/replacements.

It bugs me that I’m being told that it’s ok for USA customers to get repairs/replacements but not UK owners. That kind of customer service, or lack of, really stinks.

Does anyone know if these receivers (vsx-1122k) are manufactured differently in USA as they are in UK? As far as I’m aware they’re all made in China?

I sent another email yesterday 12/09 and it was quite blunt and to the point, respectfully worded but blunt nonetheless, that I would not be taking a simple handwaving as an answer. We shall see what occurs.

Last edited by SmellyPelly; 09-13-2019 at 05:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1804 of 1853 Old 09-13-2019, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Update for my service request. Pioneer sent has completed the repair, and i now have my working unit back. 4 days after i shipped it out!

Please demand that they fix these units on their dime, and not charge us for replacement units.
post #1805 of 1853 Old 09-14-2019, 01:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's likely because the North American models didn't come with as much warranty - you got 6 years, it probably was 3 years tops in the US. And once that's over, it's over, unless you bought extended warranty. EU models have longer warranties by law and may have longer rights depending on circumstance.

It's also not clear sailing in the US as parts are limited, some people have had to deal with a limited trade in as their unit could not be repaired. I think in the EU they are forced to cash you out in that case as it couldn't be fixed so you could buy another on your own terms.
post #1806 of 1853 Old 09-20-2019, 07:11 AM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyPelly View Post
^ Thanks for the reply. I’ll be sure to check where I stand on EU consumer law. Off the top of my head I think warranty is 6 years so I could be out of luck with that but I’m still sticking to my guns about the defective hardware and that Onkyo/Pioneer have acknowledged this manufacturing defect by giving out repairs/replacements.

It bugs me that I’m being told that it’s ok for USA customers to get repairs/replacements but not UK owners. That kind of customer service, or lack of, really stinks.

Does anyone know if these receivers (vsx-1122k) are manufactured differently in USA as they are in UK? As far as I’m aware they’re all made in China?

I sent another email yesterday 12/09 and it was quite blunt and to the point, respectfully worded but blunt nonetheless, that I would not be taking a simple handwaving as an answer. We shall see what occurs.
Hi SP,

without going over old ground and repeating you, i'm in exactly the same position. I purchased a VSX-921 on 20/02/2012 from Richer Sounds. I would say that the HDMI switching has always been a bit flakey not not enough to warrant concern. However about 8 weeks ago I got the dreaded UE22 error. I initially googled the error to find various temporary fixes (reset/ firmware/ heating up the chip on the board etc.). I reset the receiver and all was well for a couple of days but then the error came back. Thought nothing more of it as it didn't seem to effect anything... then a couple of weeks back it started to drop the sound and it has been getting worse since. From turning it on there is no sound, if I then play something through the receiver it will eventually (after about 5 minutes) kick itself into action. After a bit more research I too have found this forum.

I have since contacted Pioneer Europe who have basically told me to slide on claiming that Pioneer USA is a different branch and the units are made differently *Bull5hit*. I have since phoned consumer advice who confirmed my worst fears that Eu laws work differently than USA/Canada. The UK basically has 6 years with which to contest any issues under 'not fit for purpose' i.e. the unit was always going to fail because of manufacturing fault... the catch 22 would be that unless it has failed within 6 years you have nothing to contest... and still then you would need to know about this particular forum to know it was a manufacturing defect!!!

So i'm afraid it looks as if a perfectly goo recover except for one chip is heading for the bin. Absolutely crazy given the current 'war on waste'. Seems like our American/Canadian cousins have us beat on this .

If i had the time I would draft a letter to Pioneer Europes head honchos and request a detailed breakdown of why they are not honouring their customers in the same way as USA/Canada and try to leverage them with social media campaign highlighting Pioneers short comings. Alas too old and two new kids means I may have to just go get myself a Sony... At least I know they make reliable products

Please can you let me/us UK owners know if you have any reply from Pioneer EU and share what they come back with

Thanks
post #1807 of 1853 Old 09-21-2019, 02:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Trust me, this is a rare occurrence in North America. Typical warranties are anywhere from 90 days to 5 years and once it's up, it's up.

The likely reason we have this program is that TI acknowledged the problem and was willing to pay for the fixes, so it really didn't cost anything. A similar thing happened when nVidia chips were faulty and video cards were dying - the chipmaker basically did warranty fixes of affected machines.

Until the program was announced, the receivers were often scrapped here too.
post #1808 of 1853 Old 09-25-2019, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Any updates?

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1809 of 1853 Old 09-27-2019, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My 8 year old Pioneer Elite SC-57 is throwing a UE22 error and Onkyo says they can't fix anymore but will offer me a discount on either the VSX-LX504 ($599 vs $999 retail) or VSX-LX503 ($479 vs $799 retail).

I printed out the model comparisons and will review over the weekend...wondering if anyone here has any thoughts?
post #1810 of 1853 Old 09-28-2019, 07:22 AM

It’s been about 2 weeks since I sent my last email to Onkyo EU and have had no reply from them. I’ve done some research and it seems that seeing as my receiver is over 6 years old then I legally have no leg to stand on with regards to getting any kind of action set in motion.

It seems like a waste of time and energy to chase this up any longer. Looks like I’m just going to have to cut my loses and buy a new one.

For anyone in the EU...if your receiver has died and is less than 6 years old...you should still be covered so get enquiring.

As for me...looks like I’m forking out for a new sound box. Sigh.

I’ve got my eye on an Onkyo TX-NR686...if anyone has any “reviews” on this machine then the info will be welcome. I’ll be using it primarily for Xbox/Blu-rays 4K with Q Acoustics 2010i’s.
post #1811 of 1853 Old 10-01-2019, 08:21 AM

This past Saturday my VSX-1021-K popped the UE22 error.
This receiver has been going nearly 8 years, bought December 2011 from Bazingaroo for $289.95

Saw this thread and contacted Pioneer support, just wanted to post what I'm getting.

PIONEER, Pioneer Admin <pioneeradmin (at) pioneerhomeusa.com>

to [My Email]
Hello Levi,
Your unit is one of those that can be potentially affected by the UE22 issue. Please respond to this email and include the following information and items:

Model#-
Serial#-
Full Name-
Complete Shipping Address-
Phone #-
A picture of the front and back of the unit, the front should clearly show the model# and the back MUST clearly show the serial#.

We can offer you a trade in option; these are the models I would suggest for you:
VSX-934$287.40
VSXLX104-$299.40

*From a later email: VSX534 is avalaible for the following price. 167.40

I reviewed a bunch of their models and bounced a couple different ones off of them, their tech was happy to pick one out for me based on me telling them what equipment I had. Ended up going with the VSX-LX104. They should be sending me a document here shortly to do the payment. Honestly, I don't need a receiver, a soundbar would have sufficed, but I'm just going to go ahead and take their offer. Getting any discount 8 years out on a trade in is almost unheard of, so I'm hoping completing this helps convince them to keep this type of support in the future.
Edllguy likes this.
post #1812 of 1853 Old 10-01-2019, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^ Thank you for sharing. Let us know how things went and when you have your VSX-LX104 setup.

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1813 of 1853 Old 10-01-2019, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What I find interesting is that no Canadians have reported on this thread that they took advantage of the reduced price trade in option?

If there are Canadians who did take advantage of the trade in option it would be helpful to know how things went and if there was any issues etc.

Thanks

Ambassador for Toronto

Last edited by Edllguy; 10-01-2019 at 09:31 PM.
post #1814 of 1853 Old 10-10-2019, 10:00 AM

Hi all,
First of all, I apologize for my very rough English based on the translator "Google Translate".
As a resident of Europe, I own a Pioneer SC-LX75 home cinema amp made in August 2011 which I enjoyed so far. He presented the UE22 error late last August. Since then, I tried to document myself and came across your famous forum. I noted that only the USA and CANADA could benefit from some support for repairs.
I contacted the after-sales service of the brand who advised me to contact a repairer of the brand; I insisted that it was necessary to replace the main board (part number AXW7015--J) with the two DSP chips. Given the probable stock-out of this kind of more manufactured material, I wonder if it would not be enough to just replace the two DTS chips equipping my device with the models you recommend (D810K013DZKB4) for this to solve my problem and tell me which provider on the web?
Thank you in advance for your precious help.

Bonjour de France.
post #1815 of 1853 Old 10-11-2019, 10:05 PM

I just wanted to let everyone know that it seems as though Onkyo is still doing some repairs.

A few weeks ago I followed the steps outlined in the post and, like others have recently found, they told me that they weren't repairing units anymore but they were still offering discounts on other models.

Last week I sent another request to the parts department through the contact support page, saying "My receiver is showing the UE22 error code and having sound issues. I have heard that PanurgyOEM is doing repairs to fix the issue and would like to have my unit repaired. Thank you for your help!" This time, they asked for pictures of the unit (mine is a VSX-1121) and, after they confirmed my unit could be affected by the issue, they shipped me a box with a prepaid label.

I just got the receiver back today, and it is working great!

Thank you for all of the work everyone has done to get this repair program started, and if anyone is still interested in a repair after being told they were no longer offering it, maybe try again!
Edllguy likes this.
post #1816 of 1853 Old 10-11-2019, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roda13 View Post
Hi all,
First of all, I apologize for my very rough English based on the translator "Google Translate".
As a resident of Europe, I own a Pioneer SC-LX75 home cinema amp made in August 2011 which I enjoyed so far. He presented the UE22 error late last August. Since then, I tried to document myself and came across your famous forum. I noted that only the USA and CANADA could benefit from some support for repairs.
I contacted the after-sales service of the brand who advised me to contact a repairer of the brand; I insisted that it was necessary to replace the main board (part number AXW7015--J) with the two DSP chips. Given the probable stock-out of this kind of more manufactured material, I wonder if it would not be enough to just replace the two DTS chips equipping my device with the models you recommend (D810K013DZKB4) for this to solve my problem and tell me which provider on the web?
Thank you in advance for your precious help.

Bonjour de France.
Hello roda13, welcome to AVSForum

I would suggest you contact zzattack from the Netherlands. If he still has parts available he fixes the affected part by replacing the DSP chips. His fee is reasonable. Do a thread search on this forum/thread using his name and send him an avs email or contact via Skype. Again you have to search this thread for his posts to learn how to contact him.

Onkyo/Pioneer Europe, I have learned, are not that helpful for the UE22 issue. You can pay full price for a new board, however, it may have the defective chips on board and fail again. You could put heat sinks on the defective chips, however, the chips must be almost new with zero or very low hour count on them.

I have to add a disclaimer that adding the heat sinks to the defective DSP chips is only a theoretical/experimental fix. However, some have had good longevity results.

All the best.

Ambassador for Toronto

Last edited by Edllguy; 10-13-2019 at 12:09 PM.
post #1817 of 1853 Old 10-12-2019, 02:37 AM

Hi Edllguy,
Unfortunately, I do not currently have the ability at the forum level to contact zzattack, nor by private message or skype, could you let me know how to do it?
Thank you in advance.
If by chance, zzattack himself could read this thread, I send him this message and thank him very much:
"Hello zzattack,
New member of AVSFORUM, meeting the EU22 error on my SC-LX75 amp made in August 2011 with two chips DSP, I would be grateful if you could take care of these chipsets. I live in the south of France. I could try disassembling the HDMI card to send it to you if you currently have the necessary hardware.
I would be particularly grateful to you.
Thank you in advance for keeping me informed.
Best regards.
roda13
PS: Do you speak a little French? thank you very much. "
post #1818 of 1853 Old 10-12-2019, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^message sent...
zzattack likes this.

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1819 of 1853 Old 10-12-2019, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Send a message via MSN to zzattack Send a message via Skype™ to zzattack
I'm down to 6 remaining DSP chips so I can do at least 3 more boards
Edllguy and roda13 like this.
post #1820 of 1853 Old 10-25-2019, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Any updates?

Thanks

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1821 of 1853 Old 10-25-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzattack View Post
I'm down to 6 remaining DSP chips so I can do at least 3 more boards
Hi all,
I want to give you a feedback from my experience; I actually followed your advice and made contact with zzattack.
I sent him my hdmi card.
Everything happened very quickly! The work was really up to it; zattack replaced both 2011 DSP chips with the recommended models.
I received the return of the card yesterday in the late afternoon and installed it; everything has worked perfectly since.
A tip: do not hesitate! those who are attached to their equipment like me must not hesitate!
Thanks to AVSFORUM and thanks to zzattack for his seriousness and his availability and long live the digital mutual help.
Good continuation !
Edllguy and zzattack like this.
post #1822 of 1853 Old 10-25-2019, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Did Pioneer fix the HDMI input problem on HTP-071?

Have given up messing with my HTP-071 HDMI input problem (can't lock onto source), considering moving to another manufacturer (sony?) for replacement, but I note decent reviews for the Pioneer HTP-074 and wondering whether Pioneer fixed their HDMI Input problems with the -071 in this more recent HT in a box offering.
I've stuck with Pioneer for decades (bought SX 1500TD in Far East in '70s), but been REALLY disappointed in this -071, started misbehaving within first 6 months, but it would work after switching inputs back and forth a few times, so I didn't return it (mistake).
Anyway, just wondering if anyone knows whether the subsequent model -074 has the same problems, and if so, I'll switch to another brand.

Thanks for any help,
Chas
post #1823 of 1853 Old 11-01-2019, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^Hello Chaspear,

This thread is very specific to the UE22 issue in Pioneer receivers.

I would suggest that you create a dedicated thread for your issue.

All the best.

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1824 of 1853 Old 11-01-2019, 08:13 AM

Hi all, I currently have the UE22 error on my Pioneer VSX-921 (2011). Have posted before on the forum trying to see if anyone in the EU has managed to get any help from Pioneer/Onkyo Europe with regards replacement boards. Unfortunately they have washed their hands of us EU folk. So based on ‘roda 13’ experience of having ‘zzattack’ fix his unit I am desperately trying to contact zzattack to see if he still has enough chips available. I have PM’d him a few times but alas no reply. If anyone knows a way to contact him on my behalf and let him know I’d be most grateful. Thanks &#x1f609;
Edllguy and roda13 like this.
post #1825 of 1853 Old 11-01-2019, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^ message sent...
roda13 likes this.

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1826 of 1853 Old 11-01-2019, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I want to contact him myself, are you able to help me too?
roda13 likes this.
post #1827 of 1853 Old 11-01-2019, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^ message sent...

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1828 of 1853 Old 11-01-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalom View Post
I want to contact him myself, are you able to help me too?
Message sent also...
post #1829 of 1853 Old 11-01-2019, 09:40 PM

I would like contact for zattack as well please!

I have a pioneer vsx-60. EU22 stuck about week ago and been flashing since. Bought 2012 @ Best Buy but the receipt has vanished so I figure pioneer is no help. All is still working but I’m reading on here it’s just a matter of time. So might try some cpr when the day finally comes.
post #1830 of 1853 Old 11-02-2019, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^ Since you bought it at best buy I would encourage you to go through Onkyo/Pioneer's website.

See post #1 for instructions. You may not need the receipt based on recent posts on this thread.

Lately Onkyo/Pioneer is interested in pictures of the serial number on the back of the receiver unit and a picture of the UE22 on your front display.

Let us know the outcome. All the best.

Ambassador for Toronto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors