UE22 Error Master Thread-Pioneer, are you listening? - Page 62 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 551Likes

post #1831 of 1861 Old 11-02-2019, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Recently affected by the UE22-Error and in the process of having your Pioneer receiver repaired or opting for a discounted refurbished Pioneer receiver?

To help the UE22-Error program be continued by Onkyo, please copy and paste the questions below and answer to the best of your ability.

This AVS Forum thread is the official record to document the UE22-Error issue.

Thanks

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Forum members posting criteria:

Please state the following:
Pioneer receiver model/number:
Build date (MFD: month & year):
Purchase date:
UE22 Error display date:
Receiver positioning/placement statement:
Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up:
Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing:

Ambassador for Toronto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 1861 Old 11-02-2019, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a Pioneer vsx-2021 with no audio. The dsp processor has been replaced but still no sound.

Question: do you guys still have sound in pure direct mode if the dsp is failing?
post #1833 of 1861 Old 11-03-2019, 09:28 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWkodi15 View Post
I would like contact for zattack as well please!

I have a pioneer vsx-60. EU22 stuck about week ago and been flashing since. Bought 2012 @ Best Buy but the receipt has vanished so I figure pioneer is no help. All is still working but I’m reading on here it’s just a matter of time. So might try some cpr when the day finally comes.
Info on my receiver and UE22 error

- Pioneer receiver model/number:
VSX-60
- Build date (MFD: month & year):
April 2012
- Purchase date:
Summer 2012
- UE22 Error display date:
10-25-2019
- Receiver positioning/placement statement:
Placed on an open shelf with good ventilation
- Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up:
High usage. I have OTA TV, PC for media, blue ray, Xbox all feeding through it. Used on daily bases. Also have multi zone for other 3 other speaker locations in home for audio.
- Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing.
It has not completely failed yet but been 10 days of constant flashing UE22 error. I have not been able to get zone 2 to work. Have noticed sound will cut out and then I can change input and go back to pick up sound when using OTA on pass through sound via optical port.
It also does not seem to handle resolution changes when using PC for media steaming via HDMI. It loses colors and goes red until I change inputs and go back after movie playback that changes the resolution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1834 of 1861 Old 11-03-2019, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you use the Onkyo general email contact page still? Their form for the loss of audio/network trade in does not validate pioneer serial numbers.
post #1835 of 1861 Old 11-03-2019, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^Ignore the special support program on the left side of the form.

That is for defective Onkyo receivers with "Loss of Audio/Network Connection".

Totally separate and different customer care program.

However, fill everything out on the right side of the form and in the comment section state that your receiver is affected by UE22 etc, etc.

https://www.onkyousa.com/contact-support/

Subject*

Model #*

Serial #*
Name*
First

Last
Address*
Street Address
Address Line 2
City
State / Province / Region
ZIP / Postal Code

Country
Email*
Phone*
Comment or Message*
Neural0 likes this.

Ambassador for Toronto

Last edited by Edllguy; 11-04-2019 at 10:26 PM.
post #1836 of 1861 Old 11-04-2019, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Send a message via MSN to zzattack Send a message via Skype™ to zzattack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adebruin View Post
I have a Pioneer vsx-2021 with no audio. The dsp processor has been replaced but still no sound.

Question: do you guys still have sound in pure direct mode if the dsp is failing?
Even in pure direct mode there will be no sound if the DSP doesn't load its firmware properly.
post #1837 of 1861 Old 11-04-2019, 05:05 PM

Liked: 11
Here to report another UE22 error, I found this thread from a Google search (and was an occasional reader / poster many years ago when researching AV purchases). My failing receiver is a Pioneer VSX-1121.

Onkyo suggested replacing it with either the VSXLX304 or VSX934. Does the forum have any recommendations on which might be a better choice? I have to admit I can be rather ignorant when it comes to many AVR features, I haven't researched them since buying my 1121 model many years ago. My receiver is used for 5.1 (a compact Energy system and add on powered sub) and is connected to cable, Bluray, Xbox, PlayStation and I would use online music streaming services like Pandora, etc. A 2nd channel is something that's a nice to have, I may at some point run it to a set of outdoor speakers although with wireless being so much more prevalent now vs. when I bought this one, that is less of a concern for me. Thanks in advance.

Pioneer receiver model/number: VSK-1121-K
Build date (MFD: month & year): 1/2012
Purchase date: Unsure, likely 6+ years ago
UE22 Error display date: First noticed 10/26, but have had intermittent audio issues for much longer, over a year.
Receiver positioning/placement statement: On fully open shelf, well ventilated. Purchased open TV cabinet shelving specifically for this receiver allowing it to breathe.
Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up: High, daily usage for cable TV.
Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing: Intermittent no audio upon power up, reboot would usually resolve. Sometimes delayed audio upon power up, wait and it would eventually resolve. Never noticed error code until very recently but the no audio on power up issue has been going on for over a year. Error code appeared last week and has been consistently present since. Delayed audio issue has been persistent over last week since error code appeared, however unit has not completely failed yet... audio still kicks in after waiting 30 sec - 2 minutes. Haven't experienced any video or input source switching issues, solely audio problems. Audio issue is more frequent than ever and the delays for audio to connect are taking longer with each boot, leading me to believe complete audio failure is inevitable and near.
post #1838 of 1861 Old 11-04-2019, 11:18 PM

I filled out the contact us page on pioneer website. Should I have been on onkyo website in link? Did it Saturday but only been 1 business day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1839 of 1861 Old 11-05-2019, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thank you

Had the dreaded UE-22 pop up on my Pioneer VSX-1021 about 10 days ago. Researching the issue lead me to this thread which helped put me in contact with the Pioneer support team. I am happy to report that I just heard back from them and they still have the parts necessary to repair my receiver and that the return box is on the way.

Just wanted to drop in and say thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread and give a shout out to Pioneers customer support for standing behind a product that is years out of warranty.
Edllguy likes this.
post #1840 of 1861 Old 11-05-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird666 View Post
Had the dreaded UE-22 pop up on my Pioneer VSX-1021 about 10 days ago. Researching the issue lead me to this thread which helped put me in contact with the Pioneer support team. I am happy to report that I just heard back from them and they still have the parts necessary to repair my receiver and that the return box is on the way.

Just wanted to drop in and say thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread and give a shout out to Pioneers customer support for standing behind a product that is years out of warranty.
How were you able to get a repair offer? They didn't even float that with me, they simply told me there was a discount on a new receiver offer but those that they offered don't really seem to fit my needs and the discount is off of full MSRP. The price offered beats what I found online through other retailers but not by a whole lot, it's not like it's such a good deal that I feel the need to make sure to take advantage of it.
post #1841 of 1861 Old 11-05-2019, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The first email I received offered me the marked down price off of a replacement unit and asked for a reply with pictures, serial number, etc. When I sent my reply I simply stated that I knew they used to offer repairs, and asked if it was still an option for my particular model.
post #1842 of 1861 Old 11-05-2019, 11:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked: 411
I bought a SC-67 when it first came out... I stuck heat sinks on all the DSPs and any chips that generated heat on the HDMI board... So far, the Pioneer is still running with no issues...

I learned my lesson with the early Onkyo TX-NR905/906 receivers. The graphics chip generated a lot heat which dried out the 85 degree rated caps on the HDMI board. The caps had to be replaced with 105 degree rated caps. To prevent that issue from reoccurring, I stuck heat sinks on the hot chips as well.
Edllguy likes this.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #1843 of 1861 Old 11-05-2019, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWkodi15 View Post
I filled out the contact us page on pioneer website. Should I have been on onkyo website in link? Did it Saturday but only been 1 business day.

You need to go through Onkyo support. See post #1 and follow the steps...

All the best.

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1844 of 1861 Old 11-06-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird666 View Post
The first email I received offered me the marked down price off of a replacement unit and asked for a reply with pictures, serial number, etc. When I sent my reply I simply stated that I knew they used to offer repairs, and asked if it was still an option for my particular model.
Thanks for the info. I asked and they have set me up with a repair as well.
Edllguy likes this.
post #1845 of 1861 Old 11-09-2019, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If anyone has had their receiver repaired for the UE22 issue (board and/or DSP chip replacement) can you please post a short review on this thread?

The repair could have been done by Onkyo/Pioneer Electronics or zzattack but it would be helpful to know that the repairs were successful and working long term.

Thanks

Ambassador for Toronto

Last edited by Edllguy; 11-09-2019 at 06:21 PM.
post #1846 of 1861 Old 11-10-2019, 02:32 PM

First off, thanks to Edllguy for all his work here...I'm here to post one more occurrence...from Canada.

I've just filled out the support contact form. Since I'm in Canada I filled out the form on the Onkyo.ca (Onkyo Canada) website...presume that is correct in my case...hoping for the repair option...will post when I hear back. fingers-crossed.

Here are the details for my UE22 case:

Pioneer receiver model/number: Pioneer SC-1527-K
Build date (MFD: month & year): July 2012
Purchase date: December 2012
UE22 Error display date: July 2019
Receiver positioning/placement statement: in an entertainment center with some ventilation
Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up: High (daily) use
Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing:
Been getting the UE22 error for a while now, believe it started in July, but it's been getting progressively worse. At the start, the error code flashed, but no obvious other problem, then the sound started coming in and out, then it would take a while (minutes) to "warm up" but would still work, now I get no sound at all
post #1847 of 1861 Old 11-10-2019, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^ Welcome to AVSForum! Keep us updated...

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1848 of 1861 Old 11-11-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
^^^ Welcome to AVSForum! Keep us updated...
New development. After getting the UE22 error on my Pioneer SC-1527-K (the equivalent of the Pioneer SC-65) for ~3 months with progressively worse results, I totally lost sound prompting me to pull my entertainment center apart to get at the serial number/mfd date. In the process of doing that I unplugged my receiver (while it was still on...oops). When I plugged it back in, the UE22 error was gone...but my sound is still gone as well. On one hand, I'm no further behind than I was before (still no sound), but on the other hand, I never got a picture of the error (even though I stared at it on my receiver for 3 months). Judging by recent thread posts, it sounds like I may be asked to produce a picture of the error...which I'm now not sure how I would do. I've provided the serial number and mfd date off the back which should align with their records of the faulty parts...hoping that's enough.

Does anyone have similar experience with a UE22 error disappearing despite the symptoms remaining?

Thanks,

Jeff
post #1849 of 1861 Old 11-11-2019, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Send a message via MSN to zzattack Send a message via Skype™ to zzattack
Yeah, it can disappear or reappear, no guarantees. Doesn't change the cause of your issue though! If they insist on a picture, I'm sure there's some reusable material in here.
post #1850 of 1861 Old 11-12-2019, 01:40 PM

[

I got a reply offering me the discounted models. I asked for a repair and pioneer shipped out a return kit that I received today.
So about to shop this sucker off and will update.
FYI I contacted the pioneer support page and was successful in getting reply and assistance.
Thanks again for all the great support on here!

Edllguy likes this.
post #1851 of 1861 Old 11-17-2019, 10:07 AM

Liked: 10
Pioneer receiver model/number: VSX-53
Build date (MFD: month & year): June 2012
Purchase date: Sept 09 2012
UE22 Error display date: August 2019
Receiver positioning/placement: In temperature controlled media closet

Receiver saw medium use, probably 6 hours / week since 2012.

Receiver started displaying error at the end of the summer 2019, with no real effect. About a month ago, audio started cutting out, requiring various setting and power cycling to get restored. It currently will SOMETIMES play audio after about 20 minutes of playing content. Defintely needs replacing.

I have contacted Onkyo customer support and await answer.

thanks
post #1852 of 1861 Old 11-17-2019, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^Keep us updated...

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1853 of 1861 Old 11-20-2019, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Recently affected by the UE22-Error/no sound and in the process of having your Pioneer receiver repaired or opting for a discounted refurbished Pioneer receiver?

To help the UE22-Error repair program be continued by Onkyo, please copy and paste the questions below and answer to the best of your ability.

Thanks

Purchase date:
UE22 Error display date:
Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up:

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1854 of 1861 Old 11-26-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
Recently affected by the UE22-Error and in the process of having your Pioneer receiver repaired or opting for a discounted refurbished Pioneer receiver?

To help the UE22-Error program be continued by Onkyo, please copy and paste the questions below and answer to the best of your ability.

Thanks

Purchase date:
UE22 Error display date:
Pioneer receiver model/number: VSX-51
Build date (MFD: month & year): November 2011
Purchase date: August 2012
UE22 Error display date: November 26th, 2019
Receiver positioning/placement statement: Receiver placed on shelf next to TV with adequate airflow. No vent blockage.
Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up: Daily/High Usage
Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing: Over the past few weeks, we've been noticing a "crackling/popping" sound when turning on the receiver. Eventually, this evolved into the audio fully cutting out for seconds at a time. Today, after experiencing this issue, I powered off the unit, and when I turned it back on, it displayed the UE22 error of impending death. I unplugged all cables from the back of the unit, and blew out any dust and such from the unit using compressed air. After turning it back on, all symptoms have appeared to stop, but it's only a matter of time.

First off, I want to say thank you to everyone who has posted about this error and their experiences on this forum over the past several years. Such great knowledge sharing!

When I got this error for the first time today, I instantly Googled it, and this forum came up. I've spent several hours reading past posts on this.

I followed the instructions and submitted the form to support and am awaiting their response. I've also emailed the "parts" email address at Onkyo with pictures of the front/back of my unit, and serial number. I have yet to look for the receipt...I'll provide if they ask.

I'll let everyone know what they tell me....thanks again!
post #1855 of 1861 Old 12-05-2019, 10:37 AM

Hello. I just received UE22 on my Pioneer VSX-1021. I experienced the issue one day, so I rebooted the device and initially all appeared well. A couple days later the error message returned. A quick Google search brought me here. I need to read up on all the great info here, which will take me some time. In the meantime... I just wanted top document my issue with this community to raise awareness the there are folks like me who are just now discovering this. Thank you to all here advocating for better repair/refund/exchange policies for consumers like me!
post #1856 of 1861 Old 12-06-2019, 11:03 PM

Pioneer receiver model/number: SC-1222-K
Build date (MFD: month & year): APRIL 2012
Purchase date: 3/11/2013
UE22 Error display date: 12/05/2019
Receiver positioning/placement statement: Receiver placed below TV in Entertainment Cabinet. Glass doors on front, open back. No vent blockage.
Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up: Daily/High Usage
Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing: UE22 Error appeared yesterday when unit was turned on. No symptoms of any issues at first. Power cycled the receiver, error message appeared again. This time no sound was heard. Popping and cracking noises sporadically started. Performed factory reset, all functions seemed to return to normal. Today receiver was turned on, audio was not working at all, flashing UE22 error code. I just filed the form as stated by the instructions on this site. Hoping for the best since I did notice the "Effective January 1st, 2020, the special Customer Care Program will be ending. The program has been in place for several years and it is now time to bring it to a conclusion."
post #1857 of 1861 Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neural0 View Post
Pioneer receiver model/number: SC-1222-K
Build date (MFD: month & year): APRIL 2012
Purchase date: 3/11/2013
UE22 Error display date: 12/05/2019
Receiver positioning/placement statement: Receiver placed below TV in Entertainment Cabinet. Glass doors on front, open back. No vent blockage.
Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing: UE22 Error appeared yesterday when unit was turned on. No symptoms of any issues at first. Power cycled the receiver, error message appeared again. This time no sound was heard. Popping and cracking noises sporadically started. Performed factory reset, all functions seemed to return to normal. Today receiver was turned on, audio was not working at all, flashing UE22 error code. I just filed the form as stated by the instructions on this site. Hoping for the best since I did notice the "Effective January 1st, 2020, the special Customer Care Program will be ending. The program has been in place for several years and it is now time to bring it to a conclusion."
Where did you see the notice "Effective January 1st, 2020, the special Customer Care Program will be ending. The program has been in place for several years and it is now time to bring it to a conclusion."?

I sent my info in 2 weeks ago and have yet to hear back from anyone. I called in...they said they did receive my email, and should be reaching out shortly. I've called in 3 times so far, and they say the same thing.

Wondering if they'll just stall until after the 1st.....
post #1858 of 1861 Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbuggly View Post
Where did you see the notice "Effective January 1st, 2020, the special Customer Care Program will be ending. The program has been in place for several years and it is now time to bring it to a conclusion."?

I sent my info in 2 weeks ago and have yet to hear back from anyone. I called in...they said they did receive my email, and should be reaching out shortly. I've called in 3 times so far, and they say the same thing.

Wondering if they'll just stall until after the 1st.....
Oh, I see it on the support page....thanks.
post #1859 of 1861 Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM

If "Effective January 1st, 2020, the special Customer Care Program will be ending" ... I just got in under the wire!

I have a Pioneer SC-1526k which was sold by Future Shop in Canada, in 2013. I think it was a rebranded SC-55. It had died with no video several years ago but then spontaneously recovered after sitting for a couple of weeks in a repair shop, that they returned to me 'unrepaired'. I thought that the HDMI board was finally gone now and I was going to take it to electronic scrap. I had visited this site recently and read that some were being repaired, so I sent the note below to Onkyo after filling in the online form. To my surprise, I received a reply from Onkyo US in a few days offering me a discount for (SCLX704 @) $1,199.99). After my second email to them, I heard that they would try to find a part but no promises. Shortly after a big empty box arrived to send it to a repair facility in Canada. I was cautioned that if not the 'network/audio problem' it would NOT be repaired. It returned fully operational. I am not sure if for all problems, the repair is swapping out the logic board.

It may be that they have some flexibility in this repair program and I was lucky with the Onkyo representative, or that certain logic boards still remain in their inventory (like for SC-55), or that this was in Canada. No matter, I consider myself lucky and I sent Onkyo a thank you as this was very unexpected support for a Pioneer receiver.

I bought this receiver in January of 2013. It was manufactured in July 2011. In 2016, there was a sudden loss of video. It remained unplugged for a week or so, and spontaneously began working until 1 week ago. No video at all again, which partially returned with unplugging for a few days, but now only one HDMI input carries video but no audio. Looking these symptoms up, it appears to be well described problem with Pioneer AVR related to several faulty chips. I have read that there is still a program to resolve this and I would like more information. This was a top line receiver and I would like it repaired. Thank you.

Thank you. From what I understand, the problem in my receiver was related to several chips that failed prematurely due to a design or manufacturing defect. I am one of many unfortunately, that have this problem and from what I have read in support sites is that many have been offered repairs. My preference therefore would be to have may receiver repaired and I hope a logic board part (I think SC-55) is still available. The Pioneer model you suggested is indeed a nice one, but again paying 1200 for it would add a substantial cost to my original purchase, while a repair would leave me with what I bought - a great sounding and working receiver.
post #1860 of 1861 Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM

Pioneer receiver model/number: VSX-1121-K
Build date (MFD: month & year): June 2011
Purchase date: 12/21/2011
UE22 Error display date: 12/7/19
Receiver positioning/placement statement: Receiver placed below TV in Entertainment Cabinet. No doors, no backing
Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up: Low
Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing: UE22 Error appeared yesterday when unit was turned on. Setup is in basement and it does not get much use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page