UE22 Error Master Thread-Pioneer, are you listening? - Page 63 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 556Likes

post #1861 of 1884 Old 12-09-2019, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Furious SC-67 owner

Pioneer receiver model/number: SC-67
Build date (MFD: month & year): May 2012
Purchase date: March 2013
UE22 Error display date: August 2019
Receiver positioning/placement: In temperature controlled media closet

Less than 4 hours per week. I bought the SC-67 after buying a mid range Pioneer vsx-1019 because I liked the product. Now the 1019 is still going and the receiver that cost three times as much is dead and Pioneer parts can't repair it!

I can't fathom how Pioneer or Onkyo think they will ever get another dollar from me. I'd have to be insane to give them more money if this is how they stand behind their products. Edit: To be clear, when I bought the second most expensive Elite model receiver I expected quality and reliability. I've never had any other receiver from any other company fail on me, the fact that this one cost a small fortune makes it extremely frustrating.

The receiver started displaying error at the end of the summer 2019 and now no HDMI audio functions at all which makes it useless.

I have contacted Onkyo customer support, this was their reply:
Thank you for reaching out to Pioneer. We would like to offer you a discount on a purchase of a new receiver. We are able to offer you the units below at a discounted price of 40% off of the MSRP.

· VSX-LX504 FOR $ 809.99 (CAD) – #3 Year Warranty

Unfortunately this is the only model we have available at this current time. Please review the model specs and feature to see if it will fit your needs.

If you need more information regarding the models offered features and specs. Please contact our Product Support Team 1-800-229-1687 option 3 or visit www.pioneerelectronics.com

Please let me know which option you would like to proceed with limited time offer.

Last edited by Pastuch; 12-09-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 1884 Old 12-10-2019, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbuggly View Post
Where did you see the notice "Effective January 1st, 2020, the special Customer Care Program will be ending. The program has been in place for several years and it is now time to bring it to a conclusion."?

I sent my info in 2 weeks ago and have yet to hear back from anyone. I called in...they said they did receive my email, and should be reaching out shortly. I've called in 3 times so far, and they say the same thing.

Wondering if they'll just stall until after the 1st.....
So after 2 weeks of not hearing anything from Onkyo by calling 1-800-229-1687, and from emailing parts<at>us.onkyo.com, I decided to register for Onkyo's support forum, and searched the UE22 issue. There was a recent post from one of their support engineers, to call 1-844-679-5350 and selection Option 1 in reference to another user's UE22 issue.

So I did that and spoke with support. They said there is a trade-in program, and that I needed to email a picture of the UE22 error, and the serial number on back, to onkyoadmin<at>us.onkyo.com. I asked about the disclaimer on onkyousa.com/contact-support that the program is ending in January 2020, and they said that was for a specific Onkyo program...not for the UE22 error on Pioneer devices.

After emailing the info, literally the next day, I received an email from onkyoadmin<at>us.onkyo.com (customer service rep "Gabe") that my VSX-51 was eligible for a trade-in. They offered:
VSXLX104 (2019) for $299.40
VSXLX304 (2019) for $479.40

I chose the VSXLX104, and emailed them my contact information. He immediately emailed me the trade-in form, which required that I sign the form, remove the original S/N sticker from the back of my unit (which is difficult to not rip when taking off), and mail the form in. They do not want the old receiver sent back.

To expedite the process, he asked if I could scan the form and email it to him, while they wait for the form to be mailed in...which I did. He also said the VSX-LX104's are currently out of stock unfortunately, and that they would be available late December. He literally called me after I sent the email and got my credit card info to get me on the list to send out, when they are back in stock. He said the card will not be charged, until the unit is shipped out.

Much more responsive and clearer communication/information than the first contact number/email I used. Gabe included his direct communication info too, which was nice. GREAT customer service.

Here's the strange thing. Today, I finally heard back from parts<at>us.onkyo.com, and they put in a claim for me to have my VSX-51 sent in for repairs. The email they sent had numerous typos in it, and was difficult to understand. Also, the customer service reps information, was not included in the email. They said that there was no guarantee they'd be able to fix my receiver, but, they had sent a box for me to send it a service center in NJ. If they couldn't fix it, they would offer a replacement...presumably the same offer I already received from onkyoadmin.

So...not sure what is going on here, but it appears two different groups handling the same UE22 issues, with different processes. I was already wanting to get a newer model receiver anyways, so I'll just go the trade in-route, and ignore the repair option for now.

If you want that same option, perhaps use the 2nd number and email address to get help.
post #1863 of 1884 Old 12-11-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
So after 2 weeks of not hearing anything from Onkyo by calling 1-800-229-1687, and from emailing parts<at>us.onkyo.com, I decided to register for Onkyo's support forum, and searched the UE22 issue. There was a recent post from one of their support engineers, to call 1-844-679-5350 and selection Option 1 in reference to another user's UE22 issue.

So I did that and spoke with support. They said there is a trade-in program, and that I needed to email a picture of the UE22 error, and the serial number on back, to onkyoadmin<at>us.onkyo.com. I asked about the disclaimer on onkyousa.com/contact-support that the program is ending in January 2020, and they said that was for a specific Onkyo program...not for the UE22 error on Pioneer devices.

After emailing the info, literally the next day, I received an email from onkyoadmin<at>us.onkyo.com (customer service rep "Gabe") that my VSX-51 was eligible for a trade-in. They offered:

I chose the VSXLX104, and emailed them my contact information. He immediately emailed me the trade-in form, which required that I sign the form, remove the original S/N sticker from the back of my unit (which is difficult to not rip when taking off), and mail the form in. They do not want the old receiver sent back.

To expedite the process, he asked if I could scan the form and email it to him, while they wait for the form to be mailed in...which I did. He also said the VSX-LX104's are currently out of stock unfortunately, and that they would be available late December. He literally called me after I sent the email and got my credit card info to get me on the list to send out, when they are back in stock. He said the card will not be charged, until the unit is shipped out.

Much more responsive and clearer communication/information than the first contact number/email I used. Gabe included his direct communication info too, which was nice. GREAT customer service.

Here's the strange thing. Today, I finally heard back from parts<at>us.onkyo.com, and they put in a claim for me to have my VSX-51 sent in for repairs. The email they sent had numerous typos in it, and was difficult to understand. Also, the customer service reps information, was not included in the email. They said that there was no guarantee they'd be able to fix my receiver, but, they had sent a box for me to send it a service center in NJ. If they couldn't fix it, they would offer a replacement...presumably the same offer I already received from onkyoadmin.

So...not sure what is going on here, but it appears two different groups handling the same UE22 issues, with different processes. I was already wanting to get a newer model receiver anyways, so I'll just go the trade in-route, and ignore the repair option for now.

If you want that same option, perhaps use the 2nd number and email address to get help.
I could be wrong but it seems that they keep setting end dates for the UE22 program and then extend it. They have probably sold quite a few receivers as a result of this program. I had my VSX-1021-K repaired a couple of years ago and I just gifted it to one of the young guys at my work who is just starting out on his home audio journey. It served me well for 8 years but 4K/Atmos finally drew me in. Hopefully its new owner enjoys it as much as I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1864 of 1884 Old 12-17-2019, 08:42 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:

-----------------------------------------------------
I received my new VSX-LX104 unit yesterday. They had told me they were short on stock and not to expect it until the end of the year, or early next year...so surprised it came so fast. It's a brand new unit too....not a refurb. So it has the full warranty on it.
Edllguy likes this.
post #1865 of 1884 Old 12-20-2019, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pioneer receiver model/number: Pioneer SC-1522
Build date (MFD: month & year):04/2012
Purchase date: Around May 2013
UE22 Error display date: Summer 2019
Receiver positioning/placement statement: sits on an open shelf
Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up: high usage
Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing:
Started seeing UE22 in late summer, ignored it because the sound was still there. Then it started to take a minute for the sound to show up starting last month. It has progressively gotten worse and now it takes over 15 minutes for the sound to appear.

Do they still do repairs or is trade in the only option? What is the best way to contact them? support page on Onkyo or Pioneer?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by mrgorilla; 12-20-2019 at 03:30 PM.
post #1866 of 1884 Old 12-25-2019, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 118
[QUOTE=mrgorilla;58984560]Pioneer receiver model/number: Pioneer SC-1522
Build date (MFD: month & year):04/2012
Purchase date: Around May 2013
UE22 Error display date: Summer 2019
Receiver positioning/placement statement: sits on an open shelf
Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up: high usage
Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing:
Started seeing UE22 in late summer, ignored it because the sound was still there. Then it started to take a minute for the sound to show up starting last month. It has progressively gotten worse and now it takes over 15 minutes for the sound to appear.

Do they still do repairs or is trade in the only option? What is the best way to contact them? support page on Onkyo or Pioneer?

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE

Follow the steps in post number 1. Go through Onkyo Support.

Depends if they have parts left for your model. I don't know how their system works but sometimes they have parts for a particular model and other times they don't. Be polite and respectful with their customer reps when making contact.

Let us know the outcome. All the best.

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1867 of 1884 Old 12-25-2019, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Duplicate post deleted.

Ambassador for Toronto

Last edited by Edllguy; 12-25-2019 at 07:26 PM.
post #1868 of 1884 Old 12-25-2019, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Recently affected by the UE22-Error/no sound and in the process of having your Pioneer receiver repaired or opting for a discounted refurbished Pioneer receiver?

To help the UE22-Error repair program be continued by Onkyo, please copy and paste the questions below and answer to the best of your ability.

This AVS Forum thread is the official record to document the UE22-Error issue.

Thanks

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Forum members posting criteria:

Please state the following:
Pioneer receiver model/number:
Build date (MFD: month & year):
Purchase date:
UE22 Error display date:
Receiver positioning/placement statement:
Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up:

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1869 of 1884 Old 12-28-2019, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If anyone has had their receiver repaired for the UE22 issue (board and/or DSP chip replacement) can you please post a short review on this thread?

The repair could have been done by Onkyo/Pioneer Electronics or zzattack but it would be helpful to know that the repairs were successful and working long term.

Thanks

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1870 of 1884 Old 12-29-2019, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Another Pioneer user with the UE22 error

Pioneer receiver model/number: VSX-50
Build date (MFD: month & year):NOV 2011
Purchase date: AUG 2013
UE22 Error display date: DEC 2019
Receiver positioning/placement statement: Top of AV stack, glass shelf below.
Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up: Medium. Around 3 hours a night as TV/home theater unit.
Using these days almost exclusively with Roku Ultra, Google Chromecast, and FireTV4K devices.
About a month ago sound went away. I power cycled the receiver and it came back.
Error became more frequent over time
After about 2 weeks became persistent, power cycle or reset no longer help
I just went to OnkyoUSA and sent a support form request.

Also just ordered a Onkyo TX-SR393 at Amazon for $230 CAD$ (refurb with warranty).

Gets me 4K, Dolby Atmos and no headaches.
No more Pioneer Elite for me.
Pity, this was a 30 year habit.
I understand this is not their fault. TI devices failed, and this is a 7 year old receiver.

NEVER spend large money on receivers.
Due to changes ( mostly DHCP related) I have had to abandon some superb amps, never again!
Edllguy likes this.
post #1871 of 1884 Old 12-30-2019, 08:50 PM

Update: Got an email back today from Pioneer support

[QUOTE=mauriceh;59018568]Another Pioneer user with the UE22 error

Today I got an email from Pioneer/Onkyo support:
"Hello Maurice

Your unit is one of those that can be potentially affected by the UE 22 issue. Please respond to this email and include the following information and items:

Model#-
Serial#-
Full Name-
Complete Shipping Address-
Phone #-
A picture of the front and back of the unit, the front should clearly show the model# and the back MUST clearly show the serial#.

We can offer you a trade in option; this is the model I would suggest for you:

VSX-LX104 - $479.99 CAN

Once you have chosen a model we will send you a form to complete, sign and mail back to us. Please note that these prices include standard shipping but depending on your state, you may be charged sales tax
Regards

xxxxx xxxxx
Technical Specialist
Onkyo USA Corp.
18 Park Way
Upper Saddle River, NJ 07458"

It is an OK deal at $479 Canadian
I can buy the same receiver on the open market here in Canada for $529
post #1872 of 1884 Old 01-01-2020, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year for 2020.

All the best.

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1873 of 1884 Old 01-01-2020, 02:58 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 70
[quote=mauriceh;59025192]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauriceh View Post
Another Pioneer user with the UE22 error

Today I got an email from Pioneer/Onkyo support:

"Hello Maurice

Your unit is one of those that can be potentially affected by the UE 22 issue. Please respond to this email and include the following information and items:

Model#-

Serial#-

Full Name-

Complete Shipping Address-

Phone #-

A picture of the front and back of the unit, the front should clearly show the model# and the back MUST clearly show the serial#.

We can offer you a trade in option; this is the model I would suggest for you:

VSX-LX104 - $479.99 CAN

Once you have chosen a model we will send you a form to complete, sign and mail back to us. Please note that these prices include standard shipping but depending on your state, you may be charged sales tax

Regards

xxxxx xxxxx

Technical Specialist

Onkyo USA Corp.

18 Park Way

Upper Saddle River, NJ 07458"

It is an OK deal at $479 Canadian

I can buy the same receiver on the open market here in Canada for $529
Everything has a limit and you can't cross that line.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

XBR55X700D/Optoma UHD60
Denon AVR-X8500H
14 Gigaworks S750 Cubes
Acoustimass 15 Series 2 Sub
Too much to list here :)
post #1874 of 1884 Old 01-01-2020, 09:09 AM

Other choices looked better

[quote=Anh Nguyen;59030552]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauriceh View Post
Everything has a limit and you can't cross that line.
Too true.
A few other choices looked better though, so I went with another.
I had just hoped to get that Pioneer repaired. It has been good for me up to now.

The Denon AVRS650H looked more to my needs at $349 CAD

Thanks for the help, friends, and Happy New Year!
post #1875 of 1884 Old 01-05-2020, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What is proper replacement board for ue22 in Sc 68 pioneer?
post #1876 of 1884 Old 01-05-2020, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^Welcome to AVS Forum!

The replacement board for the SC-68 is the DIGITAL MAIN ASSY board or the HDMI board. Its the top board in your receiver.

However, you have to make sure that if you get a replacement that that the DSP chips are labeled D808K013DPTP4 not D808K013CPTP4. Otherwise it will fail again in 2-3 years estimated time frame.

Onkyo has a repair program described in post #1 to help you get it fixed. However, parts are getting low and they may offer another receiver at reduced cost instead of a board or DSP chip replacement.

All the best.

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1877 of 1884 Old 01-06-2020, 08:05 AM

Just received this message regarding my VSX-1021-K with the UE22 code:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the Parts Department

Unfortunately as of January 1, 2020 the UE22 program has ended. You can still look into getting your unit service at one of our authorized service centers at a repair cost. Please locate a service center in your area.
post #1878 of 1884 Old 01-06-2020, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
A couple of months ago, my Pioneer VSX-53 displayed the dreaded UE22 code on the front display. The receiver was only moderately used in an open cabinet since I purchased it as an open box item from Best But in 2012, on average 8 hours a week. The failure happened abruptly, no other symptoms of any potential issues occurred leading up to the code being displayed. The only small issue I had was that the center channel would occasionally lose connection requiring that I adjust the center channel connection to the receiver. I did have the receiver repaired once, under warranty, when it failed to display anything over HDMI.

I sent an email to Onkyo after 1/1/2020 and received the below email response. I've emailed the parts department to see if they have the part available as mrbuggly has a VSX-51 that they were willing to accept in for repairs.

Effective January 1st, 2020, the special Customer Care Program has ended.
The program was been in place for several years,
however it was time to bring it to a conclusion.

Other option:
Please use this link to locate your closest authorized service center:
https://www.onkyousa.com/service-centers/
NOTE: Please ask the service center if they can get parts for this unit 1st.
post #1879 of 1884 Old 01-06-2020, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^ I would like to suggest that before we confirm that the UE22 Customer Care program has officially ended I would like to see multiple reports from different members here.

If true I would like to still keep this thread active to discuss different ideas to deal with the defective chips.

For example trying to source any TI DSP chip supply globally to replace the defective chips and any other ideas. I was told they are near to nonexistent but it doesn't hurt to try.

Ambassador for Toronto

Last edited by Edllguy; 01-08-2020 at 10:08 PM.
post #1880 of 1884 Old 01-10-2020, 06:29 AM

Another Pioneer user in Sweden with the UE22 error

Pioneer receiver model/number: SC-LX56
Build date (MFD: month & year):JUN 2012
Purchase date: AUG 2012
UE22 Error display date: NOV 2019
Receiver positioning/placement statement: In a shelf in my AV furniture, open in front and back, 10 cm at sides and top.
Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up: Medium. Average 2 hours a day as TV/home theater unit. Service menu showed 18400 hours of use at the beginning of November.
Some time in October audio started to stutter when starting the receiver. At the beginning of November it was no audio for about 5 minutes and I noticed the flashing UE22. After searching the net I found this thread and found out about the TI DSP problem.
At the beginning of December startup was 25minutes before audio was working and at the end of December no audio at all.

Since we have no Customer Care Program for repair or replacement in Europe I decided to try to fix it myself so I ordered a set of DSP's from China. They have not arrived yet, still waiting.
There are a few sellers on eBay that sells surplus parts with the correct package and chip revision (rev D). In my case it was TQFP144 with a cooling pad on the bottom which I have equipment to replace at home. They are "new unused" and the photos shows correct package, part number and revision. Hopefully they are not fake.
post #1881 of 1884 Old 01-11-2020, 05:05 PM

Update: Got an email back today from Pioneer support

I was offered a replacement Pioneer LX-104.
Not really what I was looking for.

I wrote back:
"Hello xxxxx.

I realized that there is now a relationship between Pioneer and Onkyo.

You offered me a trade in option for a Pioneer VSX-LX104

I would actually be a lot more interested in an Onkyo receiver

Either a TX-NR585 or a TX-SR494

Could you possibly help me out with one of those?
"

He responded:
"Hello Maurice

I am checking to see if this is a possibility.

I will be in touch as soon as possible
."

News to follow??
Edllguy likes this.
post #1882 of 1884 Old 01-11-2020, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^This is very interesting. Has the program really ended? Is there some confusion between the Pioneer UE22 Customer Care program and the separate Onkyo Customer Care program which I believe has just ended or about to end.

That's why I need multiple reports to come to a final conclusion about the UE22 Customer Care Program.

Thanks

Edit: mauriceh, could you please keep us updated on the outcome of your claim? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ambassador for Toronto

Last edited by Edllguy; 01-13-2020 at 06:51 AM.
post #1883 of 1884 Old 01-13-2020, 03:59 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
TBH those prices are not that great (My SC-55 UE22 error is the SECOND Elite receiver I've had fail due to a manufacturing defect; the previous was the DSP in a VSX-26TX). If they offer those options for replacement for my SC-55, I'm going ask them if they're trying to insult me or if they're just tone deaf.
post #1884 of 1884 Old 01-18-2020, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Any updates?

Thanks

Ambassador for Toronto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors