UE22 Error Master Thread-Pioneer, are you listening? - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 564Likes

post #1891 of 1921 Old 01-30-2020, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pioneer receiver model/number: VSX-1121-K
Build date (MFD: month & year), NOV 2011
Purchase date: JAN 2012
UE22 Error display date: Jan 2020
Receiver positioning/placement statement: Bottom glass shelf in open cabinet, several inches of empty space above, good clearance on sides and back (except for a few inches in middle where there is a post in the rack)..
Usage: High, > 50 hours a week. One 15 month period in 2014-2015 where almost no usage due to temp work assignment in another city.
Description: Flashing UE22 on power-up, some popping noises, especially when adjusting volume. Couple of times got a very loud burp for a second or 2. Then usually got sound to play normally while the error code flashed. Not sure if I had stereo or DD, but it sounded OK. Cycling power (power button) on the unit seems to clear the error, though yesterday it took 3 tries. I was careful to turn volume very low before doing so.

I started googling Pioneer Receiver UE22 a few days ago and found this thread. Had no idea this was going on. Pretty certain I registered the product back in 2012. Would have been nice to get a heads-up from Pioneer/Onkyo.

Did anyone receive a heads-up on this issue?

Anyway, I filled out the form on the Onkyo Customer Service page. Got this in an email 2 days later (yesterday):

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Effective January 1st, 2020, the special Customer Care Program has ended.
The program was been in place for several years,
however it was time to bring it to a conclusion.

Other option:

Please use this link to locate your closest authorized service center:
http://help.pioneerhomeusa.com/suppo...ce_locator.cfm

NOTE: Please ask the service center if they can get parts for this unit 1st.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live in the Seattle area, the closest authorized service center is in Huntington Beach CA.

I did not contact the service center. Even if they can repair the unit at a reasonable cost, I don't think it is worth it for an 8 year-old receiver. Plus I was kind of thinking of replacing the unit with a new one to get 4K video anyway.

I purchased a Yamaha TSR-7850 at Costco, which is currently offering a $100 discount. I will provide feedback on that unit once I get it installed on the appropriate thread.

Last edited by NW_Viking; 01-30-2020 at 07:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 1921 Old 02-06-2020, 10:47 AM

Liked: 0
Question Preventing UE 22 error

I have a pioneer SC-61 and thankfully no UE22 error (yet). I use the HDMI (Out) ARC channel to receive sound from my TV, and that’s it. Zero other video or audio input connections to SC-61.

So since I’m not using any video processing with the receiver, and therefore possibly not putting “miles” on faulty chip, does anyone know if there’s a better chance I won’t burn out the faulty DSP chip that’s causing UE22? Or does the faulty DSP chip do both video AND audio processing? Thought I’d ask, would love to keep this receiver going as long as possible!
post #1893 of 1921 Old 02-07-2020, 04:16 AM

Of course it ends in Jan 2020, Mine started to happen in Feb 2020

Currently no impact to sound production, just the flashing error code

VSX 2021 bought in November 2011

Window shopping for replacemnet 4K enabled AV amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1894 of 1921 Old 02-11-2020, 09:27 PM

Pioneer receiver model/number SC-67
Build date (MFD: month & year), JULY 19 2013
Purchase date DEC 2013
UE22 Error display date
Receiver positioning/placement statement OPEN BOOK SHELF VERY WELL VENTED
Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up USED VERY LITTLE HIS IS MY 33RD PIONEER AND LOOKS LIKE MY LAST MY OTHER 3 ELITE RECEIVERS AND NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS
Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing. FEB 2019 I started getting a popping sound when I first powered it up.just happen a few times at first then sound would take a few mins to come on.

I called my locale dealer about the problem in may 2019 and they told me to contact onko.I called them on may 15th 2019 and talked to a young man for about a hr about the problem.I told him my dealer told me about the recall.he kept telling me it was over and there was nothing he could do to help me.a few months go by with me dealing with turning my receiver on waiting about 10 mins for sound to come on getting really mad about the whole thing. so I starting calling around and found out that panurgy oem was still repairing them so I contacted them direct and they told me yes they could repair it but I would have to get a repair ticket number by calling onko so again I call them.I called onko again on Aug 27 2019 AGAIN I get the run around we are no longer repairing them the program is over.

This is my 4th pioneer elite home receiver and I've had nothing but pioneer in my cars but this will be my last.what great customer service.
post #1895 of 1921 Old 02-17-2020, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Let me preface that I live in Taiwan so I won't be able to mail the receiver in even if Pioneer offers a repair program. Also it's not even worth doing that because I can buy a good non-digital/DSP/bells and whistle integrated amp for 120 dollars used... and those units last forever.

I was given a Pioneer SC-1222K for free. It was flashing the UE22 code, and the previous owner said the audio worked intermittently. So I read the thread and many other threads on other forums talking about the UE22 problem, and everyone said "send it in or replace the board". But my DSP chip is QFP package so it can be easily replaced. My chip is this:

I plasma cut a hole where the DSP chip is (obviously with the chassis taken off of the receiver) and used an oxy acetylene torch on the chip itself (I do not have a heat gun so I used this carefully) and that fixed the audio problem and the UE22 error. However I think a permanent fix is to replace that chip. So the code on the chip is D808K013CPTP4, and the replacement chip is D808K013DPTP4. All I had to do is google the chip number and several ebay sellers sell them for not a lot of money. I bought mine from Taobao which is removed from another device. I will replace the chip and hopefully fix the problem permanently.

I don't know if this will fix it but no attempt at flashing the BIOS was made (I was going to because the instruction manual said that UE22 was an update error). I have read that flashing the BIOS with the UE22 error will actually cause further problems so I stopped attempting to flash it. I will post any news if I have any. Unfortunately because of the damned corona virus, factories in China has basically stopped working and so I couldn't get new chips at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1213.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	2686134  
post #1896 of 1921 Old 02-17-2020, 04:20 AM

I'm sorry for the second post but I can't seem to edit my post to add something.

Has anyone attempted to simply bypass the preamp stage and use the unit as a simple power amp (I believe a pre amp can be built cheaply if you're good at soldering, or if connecting to a HTPC via analog channels, use that as the preamp)? I notice the power amp section is pretty well isolated from the rest of the unit, so it seems just a matter of finding out where the input for the power amp is and wire those to the RCA jacks and then you could simply just connect any device with an existing preamp into it and use the device's volume control to adjust the volume...

Not elegant but hey, it's better than throwing it out...
post #1897 of 1921 Old 02-22-2020, 06:38 PM

Liked: 11
Pioneer receiver model/number SC-55
Build date (MFD: month & year), NOV 2011
Purchase date Mar 2017
UE22 Error display date First time was June 2019
Receiver positioning/placement statement
I can't vouch for first owner. I purchased second hand from a serious audiophile so I assume well vented. for past few years sat in open ended cabinet and saw pretty high use. First time I saw error I removed from cabinet and compressed aired it. Worked fine until November. At this point I had to leave the receiver on 24/7 so the audio connections would stay. If it was turned off it would take about an hour for the connections to heat up enough to give audio output. Early December---->Death
This is my second Elite to do this.
I am in Canada. I was already aware of this thread and submitted my claim mid december with fingers crossed. I received email back within a day from Gabe giving me replacement or repair options. I responded a few times after that but no response back. It was over the holidays and new year so I did not stress. With the knowledge the program had ended I called mid January and worked out the details on the phone. She said that although the program had ended I was okay. Further emails and my shipping box arrived. Packed it up and unit is getting sent to them Monday. I got in under the wire.
Thanks to Onkyo for supporting this program and those here that kept it rolling for such an extended period of time. With 3 kids at home I could not wait for a new unit so upgraded to a Marantz SR7011 for the main room. Repaired Elite is going in the new lower media room. Atmos upstairs...Hell yea!!!
Edllguy likes this.
post #1898 of 1921 Old 03-09-2020, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Has anyone contacted Onkyo/Pioneer support since the support/trade-in program ended? I started getting the dreaded UE22 error last month on a VSX-1122k. For about a month I was able to keep it on and then power cycle it to have it come back but it has finally stopped outputting sound altogether.
post #1899 of 1921 Old 03-09-2020, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamliner77 View Post
Has anyone contacted Onkyo/Pioneer support since the support/trade-in program ended? I started getting the dreaded UE22 error last month on a VSX-1122k. For about a month I was able to keep it on and then power cycle it to have it come back but it has finally stopped outputting sound altogether.
You can contact them yourself to find out!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

XBR55X700D/Optoma UHD60
Denon AVR-X8500H
14 Gigaworks S750 Cubes
Acoustimass 15 Series 2 Sub
Too much to list here :)
post #1900 of 1921 Old 03-09-2020, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh Nguyen View Post
You can contact them yourself to find out!

Ahoy Captain Obvious! God forbid if I was wondering what experience others may have had since extended support has ended.
post #1901 of 1921 Old 03-16-2020, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Pioneer receiver model/number SC-1526
Build date (MFD: month & year), JUNE 2011
Purchase date ?
My SC-1526 (Future Shop version of the SC-55) is dropping the audio. When I pause, RW, FF or change the channel on my Bell satellite IRD, the sound quits. It eventually comes back, first with a pop. The length of the drop gets longer the longer the unit's been on & it's gotten worse over the last few weeks. Saturday night it was taking 1/2 an hour to come back on.
I've tried two satellite receivers, multiple HDMI inputs & switching between audio over HDMI & optical, all with the same result. I'll try a Chromecast, but I'm pretty sure it's the Pioneer.
Is this related? I spent a good amount of money on this & I'm quite disappointed.
post #1902 of 1921 Old 03-16-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post
Pioneer receiver model/number SC-1526
Build date (MFD: month & year), JUNE 2011
Purchase date ?
My SC-1526 (Future Shop version of the SC-55) is dropping the audio. When I pause, RW, FF or change the channel on my Bell satellite IRD, the sound quits. It eventually comes back, first with a pop. The length of the drop gets longer the longer the unit's been on & it's gotten worse over the last few weeks. Saturday night it was taking 1/2 an hour to come back on.
I've tried two satellite receivers, multiple HDMI inputs & switching between audio over HDMI & optical, all with the same result. I'll try a Chromecast, but I'm pretty sure it's the Pioneer.
Is this related? I spent a good amount of money on this & I'm quite disappointed.
You're on the same boat.
Time to move on.
It sucks if you bought used though

XBR55X700D/Optoma UHD60
Denon AVR-X8500H
14 Gigaworks S750 Cubes
post #1903 of 1921 Old 03-16-2020, 09:02 AM

No, I bought it new, just don't remember the date. It was on close-out so I got a fair bit off.
So there's no point trying to repair it?
post #1904 of 1921 Old 03-16-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher View Post
No, I bought it new, just don't remember the date. It was on close-out so I got a fair bit off.
So there's no point trying to repair it?
Yes, if you can find a repair shop to remove and replace defective DSP chips.

XBR55X700D/Optoma UHD60
Denon AVR-X8500H
14 Gigaworks S750 Cubes
post #1905 of 1921 Old 03-16-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Yes, if you can find a repair shop to remove and replace defective DSP chips.

Sounds expensive.
I was never really impressed with the Pioneer, but mostly because of the UI. Won't even display what surround mode it's in. And coming from an HK AVR-325, the limited cross-over setting were, well, limiting.
I'm cheap, so I'll look into an Onkyo TX-787 or 797.
post #1906 of 1921 Old 04-13-2020, 03:42 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucco View Post
Another Pioneer user in Sweden with the UE22 error

Pioneer receiver model/number: SC-LX56
Build date (MFD: month & year):JUN 2012
Purchase date: AUG 2012
UE22 Error display date: NOV 2019
Receiver positioning/placement statement: In a shelf in my AV furniture, open in front and back, 10 cm at sides and top.
Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up: Medium. Average 2 hours a day as TV/home theater unit. Service menu showed 18400 hours of use at the beginning of November.
Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing:
Some time in October audio started to stutter when starting the receiver. At the beginning of November it was no audio for about 5 minutes and I noticed the flashing UE22. After searching the net I found this thread and found out about the TI DSP problem.
At the beginning of December startup was 25minutes before audio was working and at the end of December no audio at all.

Since we have no Customer Care Program for repair or replacement in Europe I decided to try to fix it myself so I ordered a set of DSP's from China. They have not arrived yet, still waiting.
There are a few sellers on eBay that sells surplus parts with the correct package and chip revision (rev D). In my case it was TQFP144 with a cooling pad on the bottom which I have equipment to replace at home. They are "new unused" and the photos shows correct package, part number and revision. Hopefully they are not fake.

Hi Pucco,

Greetings from Portugal.

I have exactly the same Pionner model and I'm facing the same problem (UE22 error). I bought it back in 2013 and started getting this error last year. Were you able to find a solution for it?

Mine is still working but it's taking longer and longer for the audio to start working and the UE22 continues to flash all the time. I guess sooner or later it will stop working indefinitely.

Since this is an old model and no longer support from Pioneer it seems we are on our own. If you found a solution could you please share it.

Cheers
post #1907 of 1921 Old 04-13-2020, 12:31 PM

Update:

I had the defective chip replaced. Now it boots up, no UE or any other error code. However there is absolutely NO audio at all. I don't know why. Maybe it doesn't like the new DSP chip?

I replaced it with the chip of the same number except where it says C it says D. TI says this is a pin for pin replacement.

Everything works fine just no sound... weird.
post #1908 of 1921 Old 04-14-2020, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pioneer receiver: VSX-53
Build date (MFD: month & year): May 2011
Purchase date: July 2011
UE22 Error display date: 4/10/2020
Receiver positioning/placement statement: glass shelf open on all sides, over 1" of clearance on top
Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up: medium to high, mostly used for watching TV. I have Emotiva amps from 2011 for the front and center channels, so that might have kept my receiver slightly cooler.

I'm happy to have stumbled across this thread. I sent Onkyo a message and hopefully they'll be able to help me out.
post #1909 of 1921 Old 04-14-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhguitar View Post
Pioneer receiver: VSX-53

Build date (MFD: month & year): May 2011

Purchase date: July 2011

UE22 Error display date: 4/10/2020

Receiver positioning/placement statement: glass shelf open on all sides, over 1" of clearance on top

Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up: medium to high, mostly used for watching TV. I have Emotiva amps from 2011 for the front and center channels, so that might have kept my receiver slightly cooler.

I'm happy to have stumbled across this thread. I sent Onkyo a message and hopefully they'll be able to help me out.
Sorry, you are out of luck already. Just move on with newer models or different brand.

XBR55X700D/Optoma UHD60
Denon AVR-X8500H
14 Gigaworks S750 Cubes
post #1910 of 1921 Old 04-14-2020, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwanluthiers View Post
Update:

I had the defective chip replaced. Now it boots up, no UE or any other error code. However there is absolutely NO audio at all. I don't know why. Maybe it doesn't like the new DSP chip?

I replaced it with the chip of the same number except where it says C it says D. TI says this is a pin for pin replacement.

Everything works fine just no sound... weird.
One thing you probably don't know is DSP firmware. Without it, no sound for you.

XBR55X700D/Optoma UHD60
Denon AVR-X8500H
14 Gigaworks S750 Cubes
post #1911 of 1921 Old 04-14-2020, 11:28 PM

Quote:
One thing you probably don't know is DSP firmware. Without it, no sound for you.

So what can I do about that? Is there a firmware that I can download and put on the USB? I tried to update by network but it gave me error 7

Also why would the firmware be different? If it was the wrong firmware for the board or whatever NOTHING should work, in fact the unit should not even boot up at all. But now it boots up, everything works but it just produces no sound.

In fact I connected a TV to it via HDMI and it works perfectly, but again, no sound. If this is the issue of firmware NOTHING should work because as far as I know everything, including video goes through this DSP.

The original chip and the new chip has the same model number but it's revision D of that same chip rather than C (which is the error prone one) and TI has said the chip is a pin for pin direct functional replacement. Therefore it should just work.

Unless the soldering job was not done properly...

Last edited by taiwanluthiers; 04-15-2020 at 08:27 AM.
post #1912 of 1921 Old 04-18-2020, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwanluthiers View Post
So what can I do about that? Is there a firmware that I can download and put on the USB? I tried to update by network but it gave me error 7

Also why would the firmware be different? If it was the wrong firmware for the board or whatever NOTHING should work, in fact the unit should not even boot up at all. But now it boots up, everything works but it just produces no sound.

In fact I connected a TV to it via HDMI and it works perfectly, but again, no sound. If this is the issue of firmware NOTHING should work because as far as I know everything, including video goes through this DSP.

The original chip and the new chip has the same model number but it's revision D of that same chip rather than C (which is the error prone one) and TI has said the chip is a pin for pin direct functional replacement. Therefore it should just work.

Unless the soldering job was not done properly...

Hello taiwanluthiers,

I'm hoping that the DSP firmware and installation instructions for the chip replacement will eventually be shared on this thread. It has been done, however, it just hasn't been posted.

If anyone would be kind enough to share and post on this thread it would go a long way to help those who have no other option besides purchasing another receiver.

Thanks

Ambassador for Toronto
post #1913 of 1921 Old 04-18-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
Hello taiwanluthiers,

I'm hoping that the DSP firmware and installation instructions for the chip replacement will eventually be shared on this thread. It has been done, however, it just hasn't been posted.

If anyone would be kind enough to share and post on this thread it would go a long way to help those who have no other option besides purchasing another receiver.

Thanks
Just an update...

I've spent too many sleepless nights and stress to bother with this. I could not update the firmware at all, and I was under the impression since the chips are basically identical but with the aging issue fixed, and DSP chips (to my understanding) have no memory capacity, meaning replace the chips and it should just work (kinda like replacing a CPU on your computer motherboard). I do not know of any way to flash the firmware because I don't have a PROM burner or any specialized hardware, I decided to junk the receiver.

I took it to a nearby junkyard and I received 2 dollars for all the scrap steel, aluminum, copper, etc. that the receiver contains (after all it is work for them to separate it out and sell it as raw materials to smelters).

I am going to buy an Usher AU-8500 integrated stereo amplifier. I am never buying another audio/video equipment that depends on some digital equipment for it to even function. Back in the day nobody ever thought that AV receivers/integrated amp should even have firmware. I have no issue if those digital equipment were separate modules that can be easily bypassed and use the analog side of it, because honestly those solid state electronics are very reliable, and can and should be able to work for decades without failure. The Usher unit fits that bill. They are built like a tank and weights more than most AV receivers that have 100 watt per channel (7 channel total for 7.1). The amp in question is 135 watts x 2 (it is stereo only). But that thing is heavier than most receivers. It's also very cheap, costing only around 250 dollars brand new, and you can find them used for 100 dollars or so.

It has no firmware, very few IC to speak of, just a HUGE transformer, lots of heatsinks, etc..

This is what it looks like inside:

If something broke most of the parts is available off the shelf, just desolder and resolder. I can fix that and not have to depend on a friend with electronic rework stations.

Just so you know the amp in question drives this monster with ease (I have seen it done):

Try driving that with a Pioneer VSX/SC anything!

However my understanding is Usher doesn't export their integrated amplifier, only the speakers and preamp/power amps... and they are quite expensive.
Edllguy likes this.

Last edited by taiwanluthiers; 04-18-2020 at 09:10 AM.
post #1914 of 1921 Old 04-25-2020, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The UE22 customer care program has ended, however, it would be nice to see some reports here of how Onkyo has come through with your claim submission. (submitted prior to January 1st, 2020 deadline)

Thanks

Ambassador for Toronto

Last edited by Edllguy; 04-30-2020 at 04:59 AM.
post #1915 of 1921 Old 04-30-2020, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 49
hi guys. 3 questions if I may:

1. HAs anyone succeeded in replacing their DSP chip (not the whole board)?

2. Is the DSP chip still easy to buy?

3. Would an LX86 for US$320 be a good deal? Would putting heatsinks on the DSP chips prolong the life of the unit?

thx!
post #1916 of 1921 Old 04-30-2020, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollon1980 View Post
hi guys. 3 questions if I may:

1. HAs anyone succeeded in replacing their DSP chip (not the whole board)?

2. Is the DSP chip still easy to buy?

3. Would an LX86 for US$320 be a good deal? Would putting heatsinks on the DSP chips prolong the life of the unit?

thx!
1. Yes, however, they also had knowledge and equipment to reprogram the DSP firmware on the new chips (applies to corrupted firmware as a result of trying to update firmware after UE22 appears).

2. No, most of the remaining DSP chips have either been bought up for personal use or have been purchased for reselling.

3. Don't know about the LX86 etc but putting heatsinks on the faulty DSP chips only works if the faulty chips are new or have low mileage on them.
Faulty DSP chips with high mileage are likely to still fail if adding heatsinks.

However, it doesn't hurt to add them now since its next to impossible to acquire replacement DSP chips. What do you have to loose in trying this theoretical/experimental fix especially if UE22 hasn't appeared yet on the Pioneer receiver.

All the best.

Ambassador for Toronto

Last edited by Edllguy; 05-09-2020 at 06:04 PM.
post #1917 of 1921 Old 05-04-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzattack View Post
I received a message from Edllguy with some questions regarding DSP chip replacement. Since my postcount is too low, I'm not allowed to send or even reply to private messages apparently, so I'm including my response below.
Hi,
Yes, I'm willing to answer any questions. Definitely if they're coming from the guy who has already helped so many DSP victims! No reason for this information not to be shared.

Thus far I have replaced 26 DSP chips in 19 different receivers (as you probably know, some higher end receivers have 2 DSP chips). All of them ended up working, except one of the earlier ones I did where I applied too much heat and the chip popped. Receiver was fine but I needed another DSP chip. Time will tell, but thus far I have no reason to suspect these chips are anything other than the real deal.

Regarding equipment... the better your equipment, the less skill you need. I started out doing such repairs with a relatively simple (~500$) hot air station. With some dexterity and experience that's all you need, as these BGA chips are not incredibly large. For chips a size up (say laptop CPUs, xbox GPUs etc.) hot air won't suffice and you need some serious power output to heat such boards evenly, as they dissipate heat so well, it takes a lot to bring the temperate past the lead-free solder's melting point.
Nowadays I do have such a serious machine and the main benefits over hot air is that the process is reliable, repeatable and the temperatures I work with are safer for the chip. With hot air you could easily be blowing 450°C (850° F) for a while before the chip comes loose. The board may only be around 100° but the chip can be over 300° when that happens. My larger machine (Chinese, ~5000$) has a huge infrared area which evenly heats up the board to about 160°C and once warm, it comes in with hot air for a brief minute to bring the chip just over melting point. The machine follows a program so the process is basically automated and repeatable, thus can be made reliable.

Fwiw, I charge €40 for the service and €25 for the DSP part. In my area, 921's sell for less than €100 so it's barely economical for those. Higher level models are still viable though.
By now I need about an hour per amp, and if the owner has previously attempted to update his firmware after seeing an UE22 message, this firmware is likely corrupted. That requires taking off the SPI Flash chip containing the firmware, and reprogramming it off-board. That takes another 15 minutes or so. All in all, in total I think it's a decent hour wage, but I gotta factor in that the BGA machine needs to pay itself off

Dear Zzattack,

I have read your comments on AVSforum about the UE22 error on Pioneer AV Recievers with great interest. Thank you very much for the information you share!

I own a Pioneer VSX-2021 and a Pioneer SC-LX85 - both now have the UE22 error and no sound :-(

For a start, I have tried to repair the VSX-2021 and have ordered a new DSP (at Alibaba) and had it professionally replaced. However, I still have no sound, and I can understand form your comments that it's probably because I tried a firmware update while having the UE22 error.

Would you like to help me get the firmware updated/reprogrammed?

I really hope that you will give me time to answer me - of course I agree to pay for the service you may provide me.

Greetings from Denmark
Bjorn
post #1918 of 1921 Old 05-09-2020, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Pioneer Elite SC 67 UE22 code

Hi all.

I got this code the other day and had no idea that there was actually a problem with Pioneer Recievers.

Of course this happens after a program was in place to fix the problem.

Bought new in 2012 and have had no issues with it. It was used alot as the kids would watch netlfix and play minecraft lol.

Is it worth emailing Onkyo/Pioneer. If I can get it fixed for a reasonable price I will or do I have a paper weight.

I let the reciever sit unpluged for two days and yesterday plugged it in and disconnected all the HDMI cables from it. No error.

Is it possible to still use the amp section and just run a pre amp to bypass all the processing.

Thanks

Fronts- Golden Ear Triton Two's, Def Tech BP2000, Center- Golden Ear Super Center XL, Surrounds- Def Tech BP30's & BPX's & PB 2x's, Subs- Rythmik LV12R, Receiver- Pioneer Elite SC67, CD/DVD- Pioneer Elite DV-79ia, Game- Xbox One.
post #1919 of 1921 Old 05-14-2020, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Also recently started getting the dreaded UE22 on my SC-65. No help from Onkyo/Pioneer either. Was given the standard the program has ended email.

Does anyone know if it's possible to just swap the board with the DSP out for a replacement board? I'm good at soldering but have never done a chipset before or have the correct equipment do to so.

If there's a replacement board, does anyone know the part number(s)? Thanks!
post #1920 of 1921 Old 05-16-2020, 07:59 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edllguy View Post
The UE22 customer care program has ended, however, it would be nice to see some reports here of how Onkyo has come through with your claim submission. (submitted prior to January 1st, 2020 deadline)

Thanks

Thanks to a chance click on this old thread (thank you AVS Forum), I had my SC-1526 (Future Shop badged SC55/57) repaired and returned to me under the program just before it ended at the end of 2019. So much time had passed that I had bought a new receiver (Onkyo actually), and almost forgot about this Pioneer sitting in my basement storage. I had previously tried to have it repaired a couple of years ago and got nowhere. On testing, the repaired receiver works perfectly but ironically, I have gone 4K and no longer have need of it.
Edllguy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page