Cambridge CXR200 (who has one?) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #1 of 131 Old 07-24-2015, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Cambridge CXR200 (who has one?)

I bought a Marantz 7009 earlier in the year to replace my outdated SR8002 and I have been very pleased. It has all the bells and whistles I could ask for except I had to find out for myself what all the buzz was about with Cambridge. I'm not trying to Hy-jack this thread in anyway but I found a great deal from Music Direct on the "NEW" CXR 200 which has everything I need plus the sound quality is better than what I heard from my Marantz...SORRY but it's true. I have Focal V816 towers for my fronts with the V807 bookshelf for my rears and the CC700 center channel and the sound is so amazingly clear & rich sounding. I always heard good stuff about Cambridge and now I know why and so glad I picked up the CXR200. My Marantz is now hookup up for my basement theater system with some Klipish & Polk Audio bookshelf speakers with Bose V10 center channel speaker. Both are good system but the Cambridge comes out a clear winner in almost every category no matter what speaker configuration I came up with. I'm not as tech savvy as most on these forums so I would love to hear what everyone else thinks about this NEW CXR200 as I'm loving mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 131 Old 07-24-2015, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1064 Post(s)
Liked: 668
The Cambridge CXR200 is built @ the same factory in Nanjing, China that supplies the majority of the NAD products. The factory is very unique and has 200 experienced, enthusiastic engineers. This factory has been building some of the more advanced modules for wireless and Class D that certain other well-known brands buy and install into their pro-audio and consumer products. Though I have not sampled an CRX200 its features, spec and build-quality look exceptional. I have visited this factory multiple times, sourcing/developing for certain OE projects. Last year they moved into a newer, larger production facility whuch has the latest robotic and automation resources.

Just my $0.02....
802Diamond, nakkiran and C30 like this.
post #3 of 131 Old 07-25-2015, 11:50 AM
C30

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I bought mine in June and I'm really pleased with the sound of the CXR200 too!

It's a really nice upgrade from my old harman/kardon AVR-355. I'm using a 5.1-setup with my B&W CM-series speakers and thus bi-amp'ing the CM8 fronts. the Spotify Connect feature is quite cool too.

Very interesting to read it's same factory who builds NAD. I've had a couple of NADs too. Good clean and neutral "british sounding" units. Just like my Cambridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 131 Old 07-28-2015, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The CXR200 was launched at CES in January and has been available for sale, primarily in Europe according to Google, since June. And yet there has still to be a serious review! Maybe it takes 6 months burin in? I am particularly interested in how it compares to the 751r and more importantly improvements in the room correction facilities.
post #5 of 131 Old 07-29-2015, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 2
congrats I'd love to hear one, even if it's "only" a smaller CXR120. I was almost decided on Marantz 5xxx or Onkyo 8xx, but I'm hearing great things about Cambridge.
post #6 of 131 Old 07-30-2015, 07:51 AM
C30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleFun View Post
The CXR200 was launched at CES in January and has been available for sale, primarily in Europe according to Google, since June. And yet there has still to be a serious review!
I tweeted about this to What HiFi magazine a couple of days ago and they favourited my tweet (without any other form of reply). Hopefully someone will review it pretty soon.
post #7 of 131 Old 08-23-2015, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't think they really want a review quite yet. New products like this are usually announced too early and then slammed out the door before they are perfectly ready for prime time. It looks like the firmware updating procedure is modern and sophisticated so the good news is that it will be easy to keep up-to-date via USB or online upgrades.

I verified that Music Direct is an authorized USA dealer. They also have a 60 day return feature and free FedEX ground shipping.

Last edited by jlib; 08-23-2015 at 11:30 PM.
post #8 of 131 Old 08-30-2015, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
120w all seven channels driven... this thing is a beastie. Class A/B amplifiers. Supports 4 ohm speakers too. Headphones unto 600ohms are provided for (read it on manufacturer's page). Crutchfield also have it.

On Amazon you have the following sellers, and all claim to be authorized retailers/ dealers:
Spearit Sound
Electronics Expo
Dedicated Audio
Hi-Def lifestyle

I wonder what Pioneer may bring? I'm going to probably lean towards a Pioneer as they run quite cool, and where it may be, room temps will be easily above 28 degree celcius/ 80 fahrenheit.
post #9 of 131 Old 08-30-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garagetinkerer View Post
...On Amazon you have the following sellers...
And they all quote a fake list price with a discount down to the actual list price. At least Music Direct sells it at a true discount which is sort of odd since they are the ones who sell US$15K phonograph needle cartridges with a straight face.

Since I have no need for the second zone and have a capable self-powered subwoofer that I use all the time so do not need all the superfluous power, I went with the smaller, less powerful CXR120 sibling. It is the same otherwise (except for a few less incoming ports).

Last edited by jlib; 11-20-2015 at 09:53 AM. Reason: typo
post #10 of 131 Old 09-01-2015, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Well my short run with the CXR200 has been with some mixed feelings. This is not a slam by any means as I still have a love for them (later will explain). This may be sorta lengthy to some as I will shorten it up. Mt 1st CXR 200 had a defect with the OSD on screen display. I know things like this happens from time to time will all brands. It would freeze up till it became blurred. I talked to the rep's from Cambridge oh and by the way Mike and Eric you guys are great, just hard to reach sometimes. Ok sent it back in to Music Direct as these guys are great to work with, the whole staff is. Got another one sent out quickly and WOW! Love the sound as this machine quickly grew on me. I really felt good about my purchase although the wife wasn't so much till later....
Well after 2 months my internet connection wouldn't save as I had to keep putting my password in to connect on the CXR 200. Did everything imaginable but when I would turn off the system I always had to re-enter the password. I really wanted so bad to keep it as this had what I was looking for. I had no choice but to bring back up my Marantz 7009 which is another great product but just not as great in the sound department. It's funny as I've been a long time Marantz fan boy and to me I didn't think anything could actually sound all that much better.
So I hook back up the Marantz and the 1st thing my wife said is I don't like the sound as it doesn't sound a life like, not filling up the room. Coming from here was kinda surprising which had me feeling bad as I too loved the sound coming from the Cambridge. Well not able to resolve the internet problems as I did try everything from the resetting the CXR to the router as I spent hours as I said I wanted this to work...but no luck. Product being so new some of the bugs not worked out I don't know. I boxed it up and back it goes.
Now sound is important to me so and all of your great sounding AVR's don't come with all the bells and whistles which isn't a big deal but I do like my music and need to stream music so I did purchase the Cambridge CXN Music streamer and I have what is considered to be one of the best sounding AVR's out there arriving soon and that is the NAD T787 so with the NAD T787 and Cambridge CXN I will not need worry about my need being meet when watching movies or music. Weather it will sound better is all based on opinions but I know it will sound great as did my Cambridge.
All of this is hooked up with A Samsung 65 4K UHD TV, Direct TV satellite, Panmax M5100-PM, Oppo 103D, Marantz cc4003 CD player, PS4, Focal CC700V2 Center channel, Focal 816V Towers for L/R and Focal 807V Surround bookshelf's. Back to the basement goes the Marantz for my back-up system. So to those who are looking to get the CXR 200 I would if I were you as you will for sure get great British sound. I just wish things would have worked out better for me.
post #11 of 131 Old 09-02-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
...I am particularly interested in how it compares to the 751r and more importantly improvements in the room correction facilities.
The proprietary room correction function is one of the features not really ready for prime-time. I generally use the straight analog inputs for important listening so not an important feature for me but I did go through the automatic setup to check it out. The first problem is that I could not specify large or small speakers. The setup program insisted on making that decision for me. So my B&W CM8 main speakers ended up as small and my tiny JBL 4" rear surrounds were declared large. Go figure! Normal manual setup with a Radio Shack meter worked fine.

Last edited by jlib; 11-19-2015 at 12:08 AM. Reason: typo
post #12 of 131 Old 09-06-2015, 12:33 PM
C30

Asked CA about the possibility of a future firmware upgrade of the CXR200 to support 4K HDR content (HDMI 2.0a). Accourding to hdmi.org this may be possible, but depends on the design by the manufacturer.

This is the reply i received from CA. Somewhat a bit of a bummer...

--
HDMI 2.0a added support for High Dynamic Range (HDR) video. As this update to the specification came out after the development of the CXRs, the HDR format is not supported and is a hardware change, meaning that it willl not be possible to add this to the CXR.

Best regards,
Ben Beaumont
Cambridge Audio
post #13 of 131 Old 09-06-2015, 02:09 PM

Yeah, I considered that shortcoming but by the time HDR content is standardized and becomes readily available it will be time to upgrade again anyway. I never want to be an early adopter. But I understand the desire to try to make each new purchase future-proof.
post #14 of 131 Old 09-16-2015, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The cxr120/200 only has auto set up. According to the manual there is NO room correction. Which is fine to me.

Moderator harassment is wrong and immoral.  
post #15 of 131 Old 09-16-2015, 11:24 PM

Yeah, you are right, sloppy terminology on my part. It is just simple volume balancing and delay settings, no frequency equalization or filtering as in true digital room correction. Also fine with me.

Last edited by jlib; 10-31-2015 at 06:28 PM. Reason: typo
post #16 of 131 Old 10-28-2015, 07:49 AM

So, why are there still no mainstream reviews of the CXR120/200 in the usual publications and websites?

I am after an AV amp to drive a 5.1 system and the "potential" for this series to have superior sound quality attracts. Had been considering the 751R V2 but a bit worried about lack of support for 4K. CXR seems to solve that. Not particularly worried about lack of Atmos as I don't see myself investing in that kind of speaker setup.

Why are these AV Amps seemingly being ignored by the "review community"?
post #17 of 131 Old 10-31-2015, 06:28 PM

Cambridge just came out with the first firmware upgrade. So, that might make the company more amenable to having the AVR reviewed. The CXRs can now process DSD over an HDMI connection as originally claimed. I suspect Cambridge has a bigger footprint in Europe than in North America so maybe we just haven't heard of any reviews?

There has also been a silent change in the specs of the CXR200. By that I mean the unit hasn't changed but the description of the chipset used has been corrected without announcement. In addition to the Cirrus Logic CS42528 24-bit/192kHz DAC, it actually also has a Texas Instruments PCM1795 32-bit/192kHz DAC for the front left and right channels only. The CXR120 has only the Cirrus Logic CS42528 DAC without any enhancement to the front left and right channels.

I am not sure if I would have sprung for the CXR200 had I known at the time it had the 32-bit PCM1795 stereo DAC. The DAC in my Oppo BDP-105D is better than either and since I use the analog inputs I probably would not have. It did seem sort of odd to have such high-end pricing on an AVR with just the 12-year old middle-of-the-road CS42528 DAC inside (according to the original CXR200 specs).

But I would definitely buy my CXR120 again after having it for a few months. I liked the sound of the amplifier section immediately and I have adapted to the user interface which can take a while when switching brands. It is like the Oppo interface so is comfortable enough. I also like the way their support folks actually respond to questions.

The CXRs are missing some current buzzwords in functionality (none of which I care about) such as Atmos, Audyssey, and HDMI 2.0a. That may cause them to unduly drop off the radar of public interest.
nakkiran likes this.

Last edited by jlib; 11-23-2015 at 11:49 PM. Reason: typo
post #18 of 131 Old 11-14-2015, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2318 Post(s)
Liked: 1122
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
There has also been a silent change in the specs of the CXR200. By that I mean the unit hasn't changed but the description of the chipset used has been corrected without announcement. In addition to the Cirrus Logic CS42528 24-bit/192kHz DAC, it actually also has a Texas Instruments PCM1795 32-bit/192kHz DAC for the front left and right channels only. The CXR120 has only the Cirrus Logic CS42528 DAC without any enhancement to the front left and right channels.

I am not sure if I would have sprung for the CXR200 had I known at the time it had the 32-bit PCM1795 stereo DAC. The DAC in my Oppo BDP-105D is better than either and since I use the analog inputs I probably would not have. It did seem sort of odd to have such high-end pricing on an AVR with just the 12-year old middle-of-the-road CS42528 DAC inside (according to the original CXR200 specs).
This only effects analog input and not HDMI, correct?
post #19 of 131 Old 11-15-2015, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snobol4 View Post
So, why are there still no mainstream reviews of the CXR120/200 in the usual publications and websites?

I am after an AV amp to drive a 5.1 system and the "potential" for this series to have superior sound quality attracts. Had been considering the 751R V2 but a bit worried about lack of support for 4K. CXR seems to solve that. Not particularly worried about lack of Atmos as I don't see myself investing in that kind of speaker setup.

Why are these AV Amps seemingly being ignored by the "review community"?
Well, you may have put your finger on it.

While most other "higher-end" AVR manufactures (Pioneer Elite, Yamaha Aventage, Denon, etc.) in 2015 all put out AVRs with HDMI 2.0a (firmware up-gradable), Dolby Atmos, and DTS:X (firmware up-gradable), etc. -

Cambridge just comes out with a new 2015 AVR that has none if it.

They also just put out a very high-end blu ray player ($1299) - when in a few months we will be getting 4K/UHD blu ray players.

As one review site put it:

However with Ultra HD 4K Blu-ray just around the corner, is this really the best time to be launching an expensive Full HD Blu-ray player?

The same could probably be said of their CXR200.
post #20 of 131 Old 11-15-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
This only effects analog input and not HDMI, correct?
If you are talking about the 32-bit DAC then, no, it does not affect analog input which by definition is already converted to analog before being received. Digital to Analog Converters are only of use on the digital inputs, including HDMI. In my case, the DAC in my Blu-ray player is better than the Cirrus Logic or the Texas Instruments DACs so I just use the analog inputs on my CXR-120 anyway.

Last edited by jlib; 11-16-2015 at 12:54 AM. Reason: typo
post #21 of 131 Old 11-16-2015, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you are talking about the 32-bit DAC then, no, it does not affect analog input which by definition is already converted to analog before being received. Digital to Analog Converters are only of use on the digital inputs, including HDMI. In my case, the DAC in my Blu-ray player is better than the Cirrus Logic or the Texas Instruments DACs so I just use the analog inputs on my CXR-120 anyway.
OK, I'm confused... lol
post #22 of 131 Old 11-20-2015, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have been impressed with all that I have read regarding their approach at making highest quality sounding products, so , Thursday, this week, I ordered the CXR200 and looking forward to receiving it next week. I read the operation manual and it appears to be pretty straightforward to set up and operate.
I had just purchased the Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 recently and I am moving it upstairs to my bedroom. The Yamaha sounds ok, I guess, not as good as my recent B&K AVR-507s2 , or even close, so I am looking forward to the CXR200 upgrade???

when you always do what you've alway done, you always get what you always got.
post #23 of 131 Old 11-20-2015, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhr View Post
I have been impressed with all that I have read regarding their approach at making highest quality sounding products, so , Thursday, this week, I ordered the CXR200 and looking forward to receiving it next week. I read the operation manual and it appears to be pretty straightforward to set up and operate.
I had just purchased the Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 recently and I am moving it upstairs to my bedroom. The Yamaha sounds ok, I guess, not as good as my recent B&K AVR-507s2 , or even close, so I am looking forward to the CXR200 upgrade???
Let us know!

I am also trying to decide between the CXR200 and the Yamaha 3050 and Pioneer Elite SC-99.
post #24 of 131 Old 11-20-2015, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I can tell you right now that my B&K (built their name on amplifiers in early 80's) 507s2 was way better than the yamaha Aventage that I am taking upstairs, B&K, more dynamics, more bass weight by far and just more cinema esque in every way. Unfortunately, my favorite B&K could not withstand simply being unplugged for 3 months and failed to process correctly after being put back into my setup 4 hours after turning it back on. Sometimes electronic equipment stays healthy with constant electrical signal, and when taken out and put back in like I did, maybe a big jolt takes place and it fails. My experience with yamaha goes back to the late 1970's and I have none with Pioneer, From what I understand , there is a factory in China with quality engineers who are audio enthusiasts as well, who make Cambridge and Nad gear as well , same factory. Seems like a good pedigree, I have a good friend , bordering on being a brilliant engineer, ( he is brilliant) who speaks highly of the Azur gear that he owns which is why I began looking at Cambridge. He has made me speaker systems, amps, a superior dac with a huge , totally dc powered trickle charge battery power supply for the dac, and now built me a version of the canalis, sonics anima speaker system for my HT.
I hope I have something good to report, my Aventage upstairs will be powering my new Audience 1+1 v2 upstairs speakers for my tv

when you always do what you've alway done, you always get what you always got.
post #25 of 131 Old 11-21-2015, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are the Wolfson WM8740 24-bit/192kHz DACs better?
post #26 of 131 Old 11-22-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Are the Wolfson WM8740 24-bit/192kHz DACs better?
Sorry, I am not personally familiar with any products using that DAC. A DAC's performance is often influenced highly by the components surrounding it in a particular implementation. So, it is hard to compare the actual DACs themselves except by looking at the spec sheets and speculating which might be theoretically superior.

Comments I have read are that it is a quality DAC used in mid-range equipment. Cambridge uses it in the DacMagic product and continued to use it in the new DacMagic Plus version even though the WM8740 is a decade old so it must be good, or at least a good value.

On paper. the TI (Burr-Brown) PCM1795 outclasses the Cirrus Logic (Wolfson) WM8740.

Last edited by jlib; 11-22-2015 at 10:13 PM.
post #27 of 131 Old 11-22-2015, 10:18 PM

From the other Cambridge thread:

Quote:
Finally found a review on the cxr200
http://www.hdfever.fr/2015/07/09/tes...ridge-cx-r200/
Edit: Aaak! It is in French. I should have checked it first. Maybe try running it through Google Translate?

Last edited by jlib; 11-22-2015 at 10:53 PM.
post #28 of 131 Old 11-23-2015, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry, I am not personally familiar with any products using that DAC. A DAC's performance is often influenced highly by the components surrounding it in a particular implementation. So, it is hard to compare the actual DACs themselves except by looking at the spec sheets and speculating which might be theoretically superior.

Comments I have read are that it is a quality DAC used in mid-range equipment. Cambridge uses it in the DacMagic product and continued to use it in the new DacMagic Plus version even though the WM8740 is a decade old so it must be good, or at least a good value.

On paper. the TI (Burr-Brown) PCM1795 outclasses the Cirrus Logic (Wolfson) WM8740.
I was trying to see if you thought the DAC used in their new blu - ray player (Wolfson WM8740 24-bit/192kHz DAC), was better than the DAC used in their new AVR.

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/cx/cxu
post #29 of 131 Old 11-23-2015, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
From the other Cambridge thread:

Edit: Aaak! It is in French. I should have checked it first. Maybe try running it through Google Translate?
Strange, according to the review - they CXR WILL get an update to HDMI 2.0a...

It was a very good, thorough, review.

The take away is that it is a very good sounding AVR - and great sounding for music.

It's sound is so good it still got 5/5 stars - even with its shortcomings of no room correction software and no video processing.

Last edited by New24K; 11-23-2015 at 12:12 PM.
post #30 of 131 Old 11-23-2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
I was trying to see if you thought the DAC used in their new blu - ray player (Wolfson WM8740 24-bit/192kHz DAC), was better than the DAC used in their new AVR.

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/cx/cxu
If they are using 5 separate WM8740 DACS in the BDR player that means they are stacking them for better performance, making comparisons even more difficult.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page