Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 180 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13223Likes

post #5371 of 8315 Old 05-23-2018, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 41
5370 Posts? And most seem to have to do with setting up ARC room correction? Way too complicated! This hobby is supposed to be enjoyable! Audyssey is the only way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5372 of 8315 Old 05-23-2018, 07:09 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5833 Post(s)
Liked: 8309
^ Gosh! You've actually counted?
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #5373 of 8315 Old 05-23-2018, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 124
sure ..and I am guessing this is because Audyssey only has two dedicated threads with currently 79637 + 4817 posts ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5374 of 8315 Old 05-23-2018, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhooper1963 View Post
5370 Posts? And most seem to have to do with setting up ARC room correction? Way too complicated! This hobby is supposed to be enjoyable! Audyssey is the only way to go.
No thanks, I will never go back to Marantz and Audyssey. I'll stay with ARC or Dirac Live.
BGLeduc and nucky like this.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
post #5375 of 8315 Old 05-23-2018, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Who said complicated isn't enjoyable, actually I now enjoy ARC more than my previous Aydyssey because it got me to learn, use my brain and correct better for my room using all tools at my disposal (ARC, sub, furnishings,...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Gosh! You've actually counted?
--Bob
Post #5375 on the topic, and that is accurate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
..., but does ARC correct the trough any better when the 40 Hz peak is reduced?
No, and that is why I thought peak correction affects the sub corrected response and that both events were correlated! So I set out to prove my theory, see below.

I did few experiments to characterize my sub freq response, ARC behavior as it all relates to my massive room mode (peak at 40hz).

Experiment 1: I placed the sub in the center of my room, and placed the ARC mic 1ft away, which is a quick dirty method to measure its frequency response in a location that doesn't suffer from a resonant frequency, and it is almost flat from 30-200Hz.
Click image for larger version

Name:	sub_freq1foot.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	2406466
Compare that to its anechoic chamber response (Thanks SVS)

Name:	sb12_freq_anechoic.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	2406468
Experiment 2: After exchanging few emails with SVS, where they advised me NOT to use the PEQ on the SVS, it turned out that the PEQ on the SVS was intended to reduce peaks and not boost. So I set out to do some Q math, and didnt succeed in having good results, it turned out SVS Q, LEVEL knobs on the single PEQ were a bit non linear, as well their center frequency and Q math is un-orthodox.

Again (thanks SVS), they provided the pdf manual for this 10 year old sub, that showed how they calculate center frequency and Q and I got working. Here's the result of the SVS sub PEQ correction (blue waveform)

Name:	sub_RL_freq_PEQ.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	2406470

Experiment 3: Used ARC calibration, and true to my theory, because the peak was such a high peak, and now that it has been reduced by the SVS PEQ, ARC provides a nice sub correction with cutoff freq at 225Hz !!! which essentially reduced much of that dead zone aka "trough".

Name:	SVS_SB12_freq_PEQ_ARC.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	2406472
So yeah, complicated, but in the end, I have a better calibrated system, that I believe sound better and more accurate
mbroadus likes this.

Last edited by rondongon; 05-23-2018 at 12:51 PM.
post #5376 of 8315 Old 05-23-2018, 01:39 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondongon View Post
. . . .
Post #5375 on the topic, and that is accurate
Oh THAT's the EASY part. It's tallying which posts were purely ARC focussed which must have kept him awake all those long, lonely nights.
--Bob
Nugget and MOberhardt like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #5377 of 8315 Old 05-23-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Oh THAT's the EASY part. It's tallying which posts were purely ARC focussed which must have kept him awake all those long, lonely nights.
--Bob
I know, was just being silly, I recently contributed to increasing those posts, but if we can’t learn here and contribute something, what’s the point to any hobby...

OT, I replaced my Thiel w my even older 1986 ProAc Studio 2, and they are definitely less harsh and much warmer than the Thiel which I retired to my salon. Back to regular topic, in my search for new speakers, I visited a local store where based on their own testing, they found the entire line of Anthem MRX more on the bright side. I wonder if there’s any truth, opinions?
mbroadus likes this.
post #5378 of 8315 Old 05-23-2018, 11:53 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone ever had issues with Windows 10 not recognizing the Anthem microphone properly ?

I just got the replacement 1120 today, that I earlier had problems updating (dead USB port), first thing I did at the dealer is plugged the same USB stick and voila, the light on the stick turned on (it never did on the previous unit). We tried to update to latest firmware and that went smooth.

So now at home, I was trying out the mic and ARC.

Well on my Windows 10 laptop, if I plug in the mic with the supplied cable, it shows as just "Microphone (USB Audio Device). Needles to say when I run ARC and try a quick measure it says "No supported microphone found" or something similar. I tried the same on my desktop PC (Windows 10), and right away as I plugged it in, it showed a message about installing new device, named ARC-1 Anthem, it shows fine in Device Manager, and ARC works properly.

While using my desktop PC is an option, unplugging the myriad of cables, carrying the weight over to the HT room, getting a monitor across, etc .. is something I'd rather avoid if possible.
So I really hope I can get this working on my laptop but so far have not had any success. I tried Update Driver, search automatically, but nothing was found. I also checked the Anthem web page but did not find any microphone drivers.

Anyone had similar experience before and if so how did you solve it ?
post #5379 of 8315 Old 05-24-2018, 12:19 AM
Advanced Member

Hmm, so just for kicks, I plugged an old 4 port USB 3.0 hub I had laying around, in the same USB port on the laptop, and plugged the mic into the hub, and lo and behold, it now shows as ARC-1 Anthem.
I thought it is a driver issue, but apparently it is the ports it is plugged into that are the issue.

Go figure ?

Really not sure why one has to go through hoops like this, if I did not have the hub laying around, and had no desktop PC, I may have never figured this out and be close to returning the unit again.

Ah well, anyway, getting too late here, hopefully tomorrow I'll have some time for an actual ARC session ..... and fingers crossed do not stumble into other issues !
mbroadus likes this.
post #5380 of 8315 Old 05-24-2018, 04:08 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextr75 View Post
Hmm, so just for kicks, I plugged an old 4 port USB 3.0 hub I had laying around, in the same USB port on the laptop, and plugged the mic into the hub, and lo and behold, it now shows as ARC-1 Anthem.
I thought it is a driver issue, but apparently it is the ports it is plugged into that are the issue.

Go figure ?

Really not sure why one has to go through hoops like this, if I did not have the hub laying around, and had no desktop PC, I may have never figured this out and be close to returning the unit again.

Ah well, anyway, getting too late here, hopefully tomorrow I'll have some time for an actual ARC session ..... and fingers crossed do not stumble into other issues !
I don’t know how old your Windows 10 laptop is, but some of them definitely have compatibility problems with their USB sockets. There is a setting for toggling. USB 3 support on the socket which I’ve found to be the usual culprit.
—Bob

post #5381 of 8315 Old 05-24-2018, 04:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:

Go figure ?

Yes, fewer people are using laptops these days in favor of tablets/apps. I've read that the ARC app works well but you can only manipulate the measurements/setting using the laptop software. Anthem needs to fix this because I hate dragging out my laptop each time and I always have my tablet in hand. There's also a separate microphone that goes with the tablet/app.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
post #5382 of 8315 Old 05-24-2018, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Yes I've had this issue as well. I actually uninstalled ARC and reinstalled it and that got it to recognized.
post #5383 of 8315 Old 05-24-2018, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Quote:
Anyone ever had issues with Windows 10 not recognizing the Anthem microphone properly ?

I just got the replacement 1120 today, that I earlier had problems updating (dead USB port), first thing I did at the dealer is plugged the same USB stick and voila, the light on the stick turned on (it never did on the previous unit). We tried to update to latest firmware and that went smooth.

So now at home, I was trying out the mic and ARC.

Well on my Windows 10 laptop, if I plug in the mic with the supplied cable, it shows as just "Microphone (USB Audio Device). Needles to say when I run ARC and try a quick measure it says "No supported microphone found" or something similar. I tried the same on my desktop PC (Windows 10), and right away as I plugged it in, it showed a message about installing new device, named ARC-1 Anthem, it shows fine in Device Manager, and ARC works properly.

While using my desktop PC is an option, unplugging the myriad of cables, carrying the weight over to the HT room, getting a monitor across, etc .. is something I'd rather avoid if possible.
So I really hope I can get this working on my laptop but so far have not had any success. I tried Update Driver, search automatically, but nothing was found. I also checked the Anthem web page but did not find any microphone drivers.

Anyone had similar experience before and if so how did you solve it ?
I used Windows 10 installed via bootcamp on a mac and it worked flawlessly except on the first attempt when i got an error message when the first speaker in the calibration had its wire come loose and no test tone came out. It couild have been the no microphone found. I reattached the wire and all was well.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #5384 of 8315 Old 05-24-2018, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks guys.

I tried uninstalling Arc and reinstalling, also tried removing the device completely from Device Manager, rebooting, plugging back in ( as I have read somewhere else ..) .. None of that worked.

My laptop is a pretty cheap Lenovo one, I think I had bought it for something like $150 brand new at the time ... It was primarily bought for using it exactly for these purposes, i.e. calibrating with REW, AVR's room correction, HCFR display calibration, etc .. so far seemed to worked perfectly fine .. the Anthem mic was the first device I have had problems with.

But as I said, for me just plugging into a USB hub instead, that I then plug into the laptop, seems to work, I got pretty lucky there I think.

No big deal really, carrying the 4 inch hub along with the laptop, is much easier than carrying the monster desktop PC around
post #5385 of 8315 Old 05-24-2018, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 33
So here's a quick question, should 2 ARC mics and their appropriate calibration profiles produce very different Level Calibration results?
I calibrated my system 2 days ago with my mic from my 510.
The result was almost exactly 3db different from the mic that came with my 1120. The only differences were in the sub and the front left which was off by 4db.

Left 510 Mic | Right 1120 Mic

Subwoofer: -3db | 0.875
Front Left: -1db | 3db
Center: 2db | 5db
Front Right: -1db | 2db
Surround Right: 0db | 2db
Back Right: 0db | 3db
Back Left: 3db | 6db
Surround Left: -1db | 2db

Speakers: Fronts: Triton One | Center: Supercenter XL | Surrounds: SuperSat 50 | Rear Surrounds: Invisa HTR 7000 | Atmos: 4x Invisa 650
Receiver: Anthem MRX 1120 | Electronics: XBOX One X, PS4 Pro, Roku Ultra, Chromecast Ultra | Power Management: Panamax M5400-PM
Projector: JVC DLA-NX9 | Screen: Screen Innovations Zero Edge Pro 135"
post #5386 of 8315 Old 05-25-2018, 12:20 AM
Advanced Member

Posting my results from the first Arc run.

Note my room is still not in the best shape, needs some cleanup, new seating etc .. so things will change in the future, but gotta have something for the time being. Here are the default targets set and the graphs.

Few things I personally noticed.

- It set my fronts to 110Hz unlike the rest of the bed layer which are all 80Hz. They are all the same speakers, Kef Q100, so not sure why exactly. Just for kicks, I tried changing the crossover to 80Hz (see attached fronts_80_crossover.png) and I believe the corrected curve seems to look better to my eye. Where in the default one (speakers_1) in the crossover / roll off region the green line is very similar to the purple/uncorrected, in the second try (80Hz), the green line seems to have a somewhat smoother roll off. So may be something I can try to change, though given this is in the roll off region where it would be overlapping with the sub anyway, I am not really sure how much of a noticeable difference it will make to my ears.

- The heights are different and smaller speakers (Focal Sib), so it is expected the crossover for those will be set higher.

- Very interesting to notice my subs can do well so high. Not quite sure why the High Pass was set to 30, my subs are sealed, so they naturally roll off below 50 or so anyway, but can still provide some output below 30. I guess the High Pass is not a hard cut though, so I will still get some output. Maybe the High Pass is more important for ported subs (which mine are not), where feeding them too much power below tune can cause damage. I did try some different variations, e.g. setting them to flat or lowering High Pass, and while it did seem to raise output at lower Hz somewhat, it also introduced more wiggly result across the whole sub's range (I guess it wastes more filters / coefficients down low), so this is something I will have to experiment will and let my ears be the judge. Maybe if I lower the equalization cut off for the subs lower than the 250Hz, it might be able to produce better results lower .. I have to try this .. EDIT, it does indeed, lowering the max eq cutoff for the subs to 150Hz, provides a much smoother response in the below 100Hz range .. so something else I could try to tweak for some other target profile.

That said, could not run for too long, given people are sleeping here at this time, but running some Atmos demos, wow, that bass was rumbling like the thunder was right in my room, family members in another room commented the whole house felt like in a middle of a thunderstorm. I don't think I have felt the bass being that full to be honest before with my previous Pioneer receiver, even though using the same sub amplifier and same subs. Granted, it has been a while since I played something, and never got to play the exact same demo anyway.

I guess having the subs nearfield also helps, in that it provides enough tactile feedback that the roll off in the low hz is not even that critical .... but .... two more subs ... at some point in the future ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	speakers_2.PNG
Views:	51
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	2407206   Click image for larger version

Name:	speakers_1.PNG
Views:	45
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	2407208   Click image for larger version

Name:	fronts_80_crossover.PNG
Views:	41
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	2407210   Click image for larger version

Name:	target.PNG
Views:	42
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	2407212   Click image for larger version

Name:	speakers_3.PNG
Views:	40
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	2407214  

Last edited by alextr75; 05-25-2018 at 12:29 AM.
post #5387 of 8315 Old 05-31-2018, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 108
How do I configure auto-off

When I go into the General Configuration menu the Auto-Off control is protected and set to "20 minutes". Why is this feature not settable? The reason I want to turn this off is that the receiver will sometimes shut down if I am listening to DTS Play-FI.

Thanks,
Brian

Projector/Screen: Sony VPL-VW285ES; Da-Lite Cosmopolitan Electrol (92")
TV: LG OLED 65B6P
Amplification: Anthem MRX-1120; Aesthetix Mimas; Rogue Triton II
Sources: Pioneer UPD-LX500; Simaudio 260DT; Music Hall mmf-9.3; Goldring Eroica LX
Speakers: Wilson Yvette (L/R); Paradigm In-Walls (6); Hsu Research VTF-1 MK3 (2)
post #5388 of 8315 Old 05-31-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandx View Post
When I go into the General Configuration menu the Auto-Off control is protected and set to "20 minutes". Why is this feature not settable? The reason I want to turn this off is that the receiver will sometimes shut down if I am listening to DTS Play-FI...
Funny, just noticed the same thing, I can swear that I saw that setting unlocked at one point in time. So I called Anthem, and you have to disable Standby IP control, then Auto-Off is unlocked afterwards you can re enable Standby IP control.
post #5389 of 8315 Old 05-31-2018, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Funny, just noticed the same thing, I can swear that I saw that setting unlocked at one point in time. So I called Anthem, and you have to disable Standby IP control, then Auto-Off is unlocked afterwards you can re enable Standby IP control.
Another reason why I love this Forum

Projector/Screen: Sony VPL-VW285ES; Da-Lite Cosmopolitan Electrol (92")
TV: LG OLED 65B6P
Amplification: Anthem MRX-1120; Aesthetix Mimas; Rogue Triton II
Sources: Pioneer UPD-LX500; Simaudio 260DT; Music Hall mmf-9.3; Goldring Eroica LX
Speakers: Wilson Yvette (L/R); Paradigm In-Walls (6); Hsu Research VTF-1 MK3 (2)
post #5390 of 8315 Old 05-31-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandx View Post
Another reason why I love this Forum
To be fair, credit goes to Anthem’s stellar phone support. They are super helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. I realize most people don’t call for support anymore, but I’ve found their support very surprisingly different than all others.
mbroadus likes this.
post #5391 of 8315 Old 05-31-2018, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
To be fair, credit goes to Anthem’s stellar phone support. They are super helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. I realize most people don’t call for support anymore, but I’ve found their support very surprisingly different than all others.
Does Anthem have a US phone # or a toll free #? I have to pay high price for calls to Canada.
post #5392 of 8315 Old 05-31-2018, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1806
Quote:
Actually, I don't think ARC is complicated at all. I think it's very dynamic. Easy to set up really, pretty much a no brainer. Getting into the guts of it an d experimenting obviously requires a greater understanding of what's going on, but it's rather powerful tool. But seriously, you can just set it up and go without much thinking about it and let it do it's automatic thing, that's more or less what I do. I give great credit to those with experimental sense, and far better ears than mine when it comes to REALLY dialing it in.

But you don't find many people switching to ARC from Audyssey and then going back to Audyssey, though you do find a significant number of folks that change from Audyssey to ARC (or Dirac) and never look back.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
Does Anthem have a US phone # or a toll free #? I have to pay high price for calls to Canada.
I don't think so, I could be wrong. Email however is free.....though admittedly far less effective to have an email volley vs. a phone call that tends to be more straightforward and thorough in my opinion.....

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #5393 of 8315 Old 05-31-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
No, 905 area code (In Ontario), which is weird they don't have toll free. But if you are in the US, its literally free to call Canada and vice versa.
post #5394 of 8315 Old 05-31-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Actually, I don't think ARC is complicated at all. I think it's very dynamic. Easy to set up really, pretty much a no brainer. Getting into the guts of it an d experimenting obviously requires a greater understanding of what's going on, but it's rather powerful tool. But seriously, you can just set it up and go without much thinking about it and let it do it's automatic thing, that's more or less what I do. I give great credit to those with experimental sense, and far better ears than mine when it comes to REALLY dialing it in.

But you don't find many people switching to ARC from Audyssey and then going back to Audyssey, though you do find a significant number of folks that change from Audyssey to ARC (or Dirac) and never look back.....
Agree that ARC could be as easy as Audyssey to setup. I had a Denon 3808CI so am familiar w Audyssey of that era (~ 9 yrs ago).

ARC, although it had shortcomings for my room, opened up my eyes along w helpful tips from members here, to understand better the bass/LF response in my room and correctly deal w it outside of ARC (using my sub PEQ, Phase control,...)

I love the Quick Measure feature more than ARC, as I am able to some extent, to measure room response of my speakers quickly wo any correction and try to modify the room setup and placement to improve some aspects.
post #5395 of 8315 Old 05-31-2018, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Agree that ARC could be as easy as Audyssey to setup. I had a Denon 3808CI so am familiar w Audyssey of that era (~ 9 yrs ago).

ARC, although it had shortcomings for my room, opened up my eyes along w helpful tips from members here, to understand better the bass/LF response in my room and correctly deal w it outside of ARC (using my sub PEQ, Phase control,...)

I love the Quick Measure feature more than ARC, as I am able to some extent, to measure room response of my speakers quickly wo any correction and try to modify the room setup and placement to improve some aspects.
Hi,

I also have a 3808CI and planning on replacing it with a Anthen MRX 720 soon. Are do you compare them? Better, worse, even?

Thanks

My gear: LG B6, Denon 3808ci, Oppo 203, Aperion Verus Forte towers and center, Axiom QS8 surrounds, Apple TV 4k, HTPC, PS4.
post #5396 of 8315 Old 05-31-2018, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
I agree with this. I went through the process, and seriously wondered why this could be at all described as complicated. Honestly, I think it was more of a hassle for me to go through the menus in my previous Pioneer receiver to run the MCACC than ran Arc with the Anthem. Maybe just the flexibility of using a PC, which I am used to using .. or may be my personal hate towards sluggish / low res menus ..

That said, while I did try to analyze the results, and try out different target to see what kind of calculated results I would get, and generated a few different profiles to experiment with, I have not yet changed from the default / first one that Arc generated with the auto detected targets. Partially because I do not have much time, but partially because it is already so good, I really do not find anything lacking to make me go and try to tweak things.

To add, I also love the quick measure feature, very useful to figure out what the best spot / angle for a speaker is, as opposed to scratching you head, trying to follow various advises on whether to toe-in vs not, etc ..

I also love how I can quickly log in to my PC, open the saved ARC file, try out different targets with different parameters, and see what the results would look like, without even having to turn my AVR on. Huge plus for people that like to tinker.
rondongon and Jonas2 like this.
post #5397 of 8315 Old 05-31-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexend View Post
Hi,

I also have a 3808CI and planning on replacing it with a Anthen MRX 720 soon. Are do you compare them? Better, worse, even?

Thanks
Putting aside 4K, DV,... Feature wise, build, UI, MRX is quite poor/simple compared to that Denon from 10 years ago. Though SQ is better. That’s it one sentence review I advise you to trial it at home, Fillion is good for that (Robert in Laval is awesome techy consultant)

I would have wanted to get a high end Denon but couldn’t find a local dealer here (MTL) and was advised that Denon’s build quality wasn’t the same as 10 yrs ago. So I bit the bullet and bought “Designed in Canada” in that price bracket ($2-$3k). I don’t know I have a feeling it’s all the same sh_t in that price bracket!

One feature I miss is that MRX does not support UPnP/DLNA, instead they use PlayFi... now I am still shopping for a DAC instead.

PS: OMG, your avatar, Grendizer
post #5398 of 8315 Old 05-31-2018, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexend View Post
Hi,

Thanks
I went from the Denon 3808CI to the MRX 720 and I couldn't be happier. Using ARC brought my speakers alive and in my opinion is far superior to Audyssey.
mbroadus likes this.
post #5399 of 8315 Old 05-31-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Putting aside 4K, DV,... Feature wise, build, UI, MRX is quite poor/simple compared to that Denon from 10 years ago. Though SQ is better. That’s it one sentence review I advise you to trial it at home, Fillion is good for that (Robert in Laval is awesome techy consultant)

I would have wanted to get a high end Denon but couldn’t find a local dealer here (MTL) and was advised that Denon’s build quality wasn’t the same as 10 yrs ago. So I bit the bullet and bought “Designed in Canada” in that price bracket ($2-$3k). I don’t know I have a feeling it’s all the same sh_t in that price bracket!

One feature I miss is that MRX does not support UPnP/DLNA, instead they use PlayFi... now I am still shopping for a DAC instead.

PS: OMG, your avatar, Grendizer
Thanks and what a coincidence your are from Montreal too. ;-) I plan on having an audition at Fillion but still great suggestion.

Features wise it will obviously be an upgrade since I'm in the 4K HDR "realm" now and my new gear can't past through the 3808CI. That said I'm hoping for a better sound quality. I was hoping for a comparison between a Denon X4400 at Fillion but they doesn't seem to carry Denon's anymore (nothing on their website). I bought my 3808CI from them though.

My gear: LG B6, Denon 3808ci, Oppo 203, Aperion Verus Forte towers and center, Axiom QS8 surrounds, Apple TV 4k, HTPC, PS4.
post #5400 of 8315 Old 05-31-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy2416 View Post
I went from the Denon 3808CI to the MRX 720 and I couldn't be happier. Using ARC brought my speakers alive and in my opinion is far superior to Audyssey.
Thanks for your input.

I just found out Anthen is doing their trade-up deal from May 1 to July 1. That seems to be a good opportunity to get one ;-)
coxy2416 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page