Originally Posted by spongebob
I got my 720 hooked up (5.1)
Even without ARC, dialogue seemed clearer which is what we are looking for.
After running a 5 position ARC, it is clearer but volume is quite a bit lower an has less "punch". Is that normal?
Also, please tell me there is a simple way to toggle ARC on or off without going deep into the setup menu every time? That's a real pain. They put a dedicated lip sync button on the remote but not one for ARC?
Re: lack of punch / is that normal, could you upload your ARC results? There may be something in the graphs that offers a clue. Also, if you have pics of how your room is arranged, that could help.
Re: improving dialog clarity, it can be a challenge and too often depends on the source. Broadcast TV audio quality is all over the map. Blu ray and 4K UltraHD movies vary widely, too. There are some pretty abysmal production standards out there, and it's tough to overcome that.
Things to try:
- Experiment with Dolby Volume as it can help dialog quite a bit. I believe others have noted that using DV will turn off Atmos channels.
- Experiment with the level button. Some material benefits by increasing center channel volume a bit.
- Experiment with the treble button for taming edgy content.
- Take a critical look at your center channel positioning and verify that it's aimed at ear level with no obstructions between it and your ears.
- Consider acoustic treatment if you aren't using any.
After doing all of this stuff, dialog clarity was much better in my room, but ultimately it was necessary to upgrade the center channel to achieve the kind of performance wanted.