Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13991Likes

post #541 of 10064 Old 01-06-2016, 05:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post
Everything technical you wanted to know about ARC and if the links are corrupted, a search for David Rich ARC review should bring you there:

http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/a...system-part-1/

http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/a...g-a-subwoofer/
Yesterday I went through both reviews as well as some Dirac reviews (though they were much less thorough than the above two).

It was very enlightening in how the fundamentals of ARC's eq works and how it affects overal performance. I really liked how the result is proven in the article and takes you step by step through this process. Excellent in-depth knowledge.

The most interesting part to me however (comparing it to Dirac) lies within the "Time domain correction". The time domain correction is disputed vigorously by the author (David A. Rich). I unfortunately have no access to the mentioned book ("Sound Reproduction, Loudspeakers and Room") to investigate on why Time domain correction is controversial.

When looking into Dirac Live and the (aforementioned) interview, it seems that Time Domain Correction - which seems to be happening on frequency level - could have significant impact in that it makes it possible to make sure the sound produced by each woofer (not speaker as a whole!) can be effectively corrected so it would give a correct reproduction of the impulse.

My guess would be that overly correcting the impulse response (so you will, at the listening position, hear every frequency exactly at the same time) would be wrong, as sounds produced in real life will have inherently different delays. In my opinion the correction should only be applied as to correct for differences in woofer responses (correct the subwoofer for its delay in comparison with the mid-range woofer and the high range tweeter, and every other sound producing item in between).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
The beauty (or curse) of Dirac is that the user can draw her/his own target curve. In that respect it’s more flexible than ARC (or gives more rope for purposes of hanging…).

<snip>

As someone who uses both correction systems daily (albeit in different configurations; ARC in multichannel and Dirac in 2-channel/nearfield) here are my thoughts in the context of well-optimized systems with speakers that offer constant directivity and (in the multichannel system) multiple subwoofers: both are, IMO, (a) comparable, and (b) substantially better than the current competition.

<snip>

Given the price difference and my suspicion that all the forthcoming AVRs/ampless-AVRs with either system will have the same handicap (no Dolby Volume loudness compensation above 7.1-channels), the new Anthem seems to provide the most value IMO.

<snip>

I’m not sure I hear much if any difference from Dirac’s mixed-phase equalization, but the speakers I use in both systems are by design more coherent than most home audio loudspeakers and I strongly prefer to limit correction to the modal region and below.
Thank you Sir, for your in depth response!

To sum up your points (if I understood correctly):
1. Dirac is more flexible in targeting specific needs (you can choose your own target curve)
2. In your experience both perform equally well. Both being (far) better than the competition.
3. However there seems to be a slight difference in near-field equalizing (though in regards of this thread being a home theater oriented one, I guess near-field would be less of an issue)
4. Due to your experience with higher end speakers the "mixed-pahse equalization" (am I correct that you are refering to the equalizing in the time domain / impulse response?) your take on this would be that it has significantly less impact on the overall performance

Lastly a question; you mention you would go for "ARC having an edge over Dirac in regards to their price positioning". When comparing for example an Anthem MRX 720 and an Arcam AVR 550 (which has Dirac incorporated in its AVR). Pricing seems comparable (at least here in Europe), would that alter your perspective?

To me the choice between an Anthem or an Arcam is still not as clear cut as I had hoped. Im still going back and forth. Both having pro's and cons (depending on if you look at: rated power per channels, support for eq on all channels including heights (atmos), Impulse response EQ, Frequency Response EQ and ofcourse pricing)

Last edited by MaxxMark; 01-06-2016 at 10:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 10064 Old 01-06-2016, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 797
@MaxxMark ,

If they are an equivalent price, I think you would need to pick which is more important to you. On the one hand, the Arcam will allow more flexiblility for setting your own target curve (not important to me). On the other, ARC will EQ all the channels including the height ones, whereas Dirac will only EQ the bed layer (apparently they're looking addressing that, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that).

On my side of the ocean, the Arcam is significantly more expensive so the choice is obvious. That being said, at the same price point I still think I'd choose the Anthem for the fact that it EQs all the speakers (I've also heard that ARC is a fair bit easier to set up than Dirac, FWIW).
bkeeler10 likes this.

Gear: The Brains: Anthem MRX 720. The Brawn: Outlaw 7700. The Fun: Custom PC w/ Logitech 27 & reverse mount pedals, Nintendo Switch, Playstation PS4 Pro. The Visuals: Panny UB420, Epson 6040UB, Panamorph UH480, DIY 138" Curved screen using Semour Centerstage XD AT material. The Audio: 7.1.4: LCR: Tannoy DC12i. Sides: Tannoy IW63DC. Rears: Tannoy DC8i. Ceilings: Tannoy CMS 603/601 DCBM. Subs: 3X Micro Marty and 1X Full Marty.
post #543 of 10064 Old 01-06-2016, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
@MaxxMark ,

If they are an equivalent price, I think you would need to pick which is more important to you. On the one hand, the Arcam will allow more flexiblility for setting your own target curve (not important to me). On the other, ARC will EQ all the channels including the height ones, whereas Dirac will only EQ the bed layer (apparently they're looking addressing that, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that).

On my side of the ocean, the Arcam is significantly more expensive so the choice is obvious. That being said, at the same price point I still think I'd choose the Anthem for the fact that it EQs all the speakers (I've also heard that ARC is a fair bit easier to set up than Dirac, FWIW).
Something to consider.

I believe I read some (you'll need to confirm) that Dirac in the Arcam avr's only corrects the 7.1 bed channels (i.e. not the Atmos / height channels).

Therefore this might be an issue if you have setup for atmos (i.e more than 7.1).

Anthem ARC corrects all the channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 10064 Old 01-06-2016, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxMark View Post
3. However there seems to be a slight difference in near-field equalizing (though in regards of this thread being a home theater oriented one, I guess near-field would be less of an issue)
Not an issue for HT use.

Quote:
Lastly a question; you mention you would go for "ARC having an edge over Dirac in regards to their price positioning". When comparing for example an Anthem MRX 720 and an Arcam AVR 550 (which has Dirac incorporated in its AVR). Pricing seems comparable (at least here in Europe), would that alter your perspective?
Honest answer, I don't know because I've not used either one and don't currently have a setup with height/top/overhead channels. I'm considering the same Anthem and Arcam options to replace my current 7.1-channel Anthem. (I'm also considering the Yamaha ampless-AVR - 5100 or something like that - because it has loudness compensation that works with all channels. Though nobody has done a good job IMO showing what their proprietary EQ actually does.) I'll probably make my own decision this spring or summer.

On paper, the Arcam right now is handicapped in that it only EQ's the 7.1 main channels. Perhaps that will change, but until it does I would assume it won't. To me that means if one does something wild with the target curve on the main channels, then you maximize the chances of discontinuity between mains and top channels. ARC, as stated, works on all channels.

Both presumably have the same Dolby Volume handicap. (to my knowledge there's only one quad-core DSP used in AVRs and pre-pros). Only the Yamaha and D+M (not an Audyssey fan)

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #545 of 10064 Old 01-07-2016, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apgood View Post
Something to consider.

I believe I read some (you'll need to confirm) that Dirac in the Arcam avr's only corrects the 7.1 bed channels (i.e. not the Atmos / height channels).

Therefore this might be an issue if you have setup for atmos (i.e more than 7.1).

Anthem ARC corrects all the channels.
That was indeed mentioned quite often. I have tracked this down to the avforums where this was first mentioned. In the thread it is also mentioned that (iirc) two persons spoke with Arcam representatives and mentioned Arcam told them (and i'm paraphrasing) that "they are working on this issue with Dirac" and "There is enough processing power in the AVR to handle EQ of the height channels as well".

In my opinion Arcam would drop the ball massively if they can not correct this issue. More so when you consider they are going to introduce an extra 4 channel amp later this year. Of course they could integrate Dirac in that amp as well, but management of both amps would be a hassle if you ask me.

@DS-21 :
Thnx for the elaboration.

When making a pro/con list for both of them, you pretty quick get to the point that neither of them seem to have everything.

Anthem:

Pro:
- 11 channel receiver
- Can EQ all channels
- Supports EQ over all pre-out channels
- ARC works great

Con:
- 5 channels amped at full power. Rear + heights has less power (50watt/channel as mentioned by Nick) -> for full-range low impedance speakers an additional amp would still be required
- Hefty price in Europe (+- €4700)

Arcam:

Pro:
- 7 channels amped at full power (90watt/ch)
- Dirac Live is more flexible (target curve is customisable)
- Dirac Live includes time domain EQ
- Price in Europe (+- €3500)

con:
- No height channels in amp, additional 4 channel amp is required (pre-out
- Can EQ base channels (excluding heights)
- Supports EQ over all pre-out channels but is limited to 7 channels (Dirac Live can not EQ more than 7 channels)

My conclusion at this point in time would be to go for the Anthem as it can EQ all channels. However when Arcam/Dirac would fix the 7ch limit, the price and options of Dirac Live comes into play. More so when considering that an extra amp would be required either way.
post #546 of 10064 Old 01-07-2016, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
That was indeed mentioned quite often. I have tracked this down to the avforums where this was first mentioned. In the thread it is also mentioned that (iirc) two persons spoke with Arcam representatives and mentioned Arcam told them (and i'm paraphrasing) that "they are working on this issue with Dirac" and "There is enough processing power in the AVR to handle EQ of the height channels as well".
I suspect that, if they add this capability, the price will go up. There are licensing fees to pay to Dirac, no doubt, and I would bet that Dirac will want more money to add four channels of equalization. Otherwise, why would they not have done it to begin with? If the box has the processing horsepower, and all that is required is a software change, and it would not have cost Arcam any more in licensing fees, why did they not do it at the outset?

I certainly wouldn't buy the Arcam based on the assumption/hope that this will be added. And, given the cost disparity in the US, the fact that the MRX720 EQs all channels makes it a pretty easy call for me.

System
Transducers: Revel Concerta2 F36 (3), M16 (4); Tannoy AMS 6DC (4); Rythmik F18 (2)
Front end: NAD T758 v3; Outlaw Model 7125
Sources: Panasonic UB820; Oppo BDP-103; Toshiba HD-A2
Projection: JVC DLA-RS440; Seymour CenterStage UF retractable 110" 2.35:1

post #547 of 10064 Old 01-07-2016, 09:37 AM

I am not certain about that. If i'm not mistaken the Arcam is one of the first receivers to incorporate Dirac Live into a receiver that has Atmos capabilities and thus the requirement for 8+ channels.

To rephrase it, Dirac Live was never before used in situations requiring more than 8 channels of equalisation. It could be as simple as a programming issue (which would not really be that far fetched, looking at it from a development point of view).

So to answer 'why wouldn't they have done it to begin with / from the get go?' I'd say its fairly plausible the software/dsp/xxx wasn't/isn't capable of doing so.

I am 100% with you in not going with 'assumptions'.

Right now I'm hearing rumours about availability here in the Netherlands for both amps, so even if I make a choice right now I wouldn't be able to give money to either side
post #548 of 10064 Old 01-07-2016, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Ah, you're suggesting that perhaps Dirac has never had to handle more than 8 channels, and so it might be an issue on their end? Perhaps, and I hope you're right about that. Only problem with that is I might have to consider whether to spend the extra money for the Arcam

System
Transducers: Revel Concerta2 F36 (3), M16 (4); Tannoy AMS 6DC (4); Rythmik F18 (2)
Front end: NAD T758 v3; Outlaw Model 7125
Sources: Panasonic UB820; Oppo BDP-103; Toshiba HD-A2
Projection: JVC DLA-RS440; Seymour CenterStage UF retractable 110" 2.35:1

post #549 of 10064 Old 01-07-2016, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
I'm very confident I've isolated the problems now. It's a combination of two bugs in the Anthem networking stack.
Circling back on the three (not two) bugs I've encountered with networking on my MRX 1120. I've exchanged several emails with Anthem tech support this week and they've made good progress with reproducing and analyzing the bug reports. I have to say, the detail and coherence in the responses from the Anthem engineer have been refreshing.

1. We've made no progress figuring out why the WiFi manual setup does not work for me. I was able to use the "Play-Fi" app to set up wireless, though, so a workaround exists for this issue.

2. Anthem have reproduced my difficulty with manual IP setup for wired networking and confirm that this is a bug in the firmware. No workaround available, but I presume this will be a high-priority fix for them in a future firmware update. There's no reason to suspect hardware, this clearly looks like just a software problem. Since Auto/DHCP works fine this probably won't impact very many users.

3. Anthem have confirmed my suspicion that networking only works for networks where the netmask is 255.255.255.0 (/24). The engineer says:

Quote:
Reproducing the issue wasn’t very hard, figuring out what was wrong took a bit of effort…

Looks like the MCU in the MRX always assumes the netmask is 255.255.255.0. Which works for all /24 subnets.
For larger subnets (/23 and up) it runs into problems if its assigned IP address is not the top 255 addresses (ex with 192.168.2.1/23, MRX MCU must have an IP address of 192.168.3.0 to 192.168.3.254).
Smaller subnets can also be used, but only if the broadcast address for that subnet would end in 255 (for example, for /25, the subnet range 192.168.1.128 to 192.168.1.255 would work, but not 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.1.127)

So, in order to still use the MRX as is with his current router he could set a fixed IP address for the MCU MAC address (hit info 11 times, careful, there are 2 MAC’s listed here), as long as he assigned it to the top 255 addresses it should work OK.

For now, customers should be to only use /24 subnets.
I feel validated that my suspicion was correct, and I'm confident that it can be addressed in a future update. I'll experiment tonight with forcing the MRX 1120 to receive an IP in the top half of my network. It's not clear to me if my laptop running ARC also needs an IP up top, but either way it's something else to play around with.

They also provided more background on why I was never able to get Windows TELNET.EXE to work, but OS X telnet did:

Quote:
The TCP connection on port 14999 (default) can work under windows telnet as well, but there are several issues related to how the MRX is currently parsing messages, it currently needs every command to come in its own TCP packet and not to be split into smaller packets, this requires weird hacks to get working (copy&paste command into telnet window with terminator at the start and end of the message, ex: for IDQ? Query, send “;IDQ?;”)
Sorry for the technical deep dive, but I thought it was worth reporting back. Sounds like progress and I can't state enough how impressed I am at the quality of this response from Anthem. I deal with tech support all the time at work and this is truly outstanding support! It's certainly making me feel reassured about having chosen an Anthem product. Bugs are an unavoidable part of software development. What's actually important is how well a company can respond to those issues as they arise.
blastermaster and bigdogaxis like this.

I like cars, airplanes, running, and coding || current gear: two eyes, two ears, one brain, and some other junk.
post #550 of 10064 Old 01-07-2016, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Circling back on the three (not two) bugs I've encountered with networking on my MRX 1120. I've exchanged several emails with Anthem tech support this week and they've made good progress with reproducing and analyzing the bug reports. I have to say, the detail and coherence in the responses from the Anthem engineer have been refreshing.

1. We've made no progress figuring out why the WiFi manual setup does not work for me. I was able to use the "Play-Fi" app to set up wireless, though, so a workaround exists for this issue.

2. Anthem have reproduced my difficulty with manual IP setup for wired networking and confirm that this is a bug in the firmware. No workaround available, but I presume this will be a high-priority fix for them in a future firmware update. There's no reason to suspect hardware, this clearly looks like just a software problem. Since Auto/DHCP works fine this probably won't impact very many users.

3. Anthem have confirmed my suspicion that networking only works for networks where the netmask is 255.255.255.0 (/24). The engineer says:

I feel validated that my suspicion was correct, and I'm confident that it can be addressed in a future update. I'll experiment tonight with forcing the MRX 1120 to receive an IP in the top half of my network. It's not clear to me if my laptop running ARC also needs an IP up top, but either way it's something else to play around with.

They also provided more background on why I was never able to get Windows TELNET.EXE to work, but OS X telnet did:

Sorry for the technical deep dive, but I thought it was worth reporting back. Sounds like progress and I can't state enough how impressed I am at the quality of this response from Anthem. I deal with tech support all the time at work and this is truly outstanding support! It's certainly making me feel reassured about having chosen an Anthem product. Bugs are an unavoidable part of software development. What's actually important is how well a company can respond to those issues as they arise.
I don't know if it is at all applicable to your case, but I had a bear of problem attempting to connect an older MRX 710 to the network even wired.

I never figured it out, but moving to a different PC made the difference. My first one was a corporate laptop which may have had additional networking/security stuff activated. Second was a POS with a clean install of Win 7.
post #551 of 10064 Old 01-07-2016, 01:14 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
If i'm not mistaken the Arcam is one of the first receivers to incorporate Dirac Live into a receiver that has Atmos capabilities and thus the requirement for 8+ channels.

To rephrase it, Dirac Live was never before used in situations requiring more than 8 channels of equalisation.
Datasat RS20i has been using 16 channels of Dirac for many months. The 8 channel Dirac limitation in Arcam (and Audio Control?) is kinda mystifying, but could be an as yet unresolved licensing issue.
post #552 of 10064 Old 01-07-2016, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Sounds like progress and I can't state enough how impressed I am at the quality of this response from Anthem. I deal with tech support all the time at work and this is truly outstanding support! It's certainly making me feel reassured about having chosen an Anthem product. Bugs are an unavoidable part of software development. What's actually important is how well a company can respond to those issues as they arise.
That is awesome.
post #553 of 10064 Old 01-08-2016, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
Datasat RS20i has been using 16 channels of Dirac for many months. The 8 channel Dirac limitation in Arcam (and Audio Control?) is kinda mystifying, but could be an as yet unresolved licensing issue.
It's been almost 2 yrs actually since Datasat/Dirac. The Audio Control does it full.
Arcam 550 not... to keep the price down I suppose. If heights are in ceiling then wont need much EQ anyway.
post #554 of 10064 Old 01-08-2016, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 7
@ MaxxMark,

you are asking a question on a ultra-biased Anthem forum
Obviously the answer will reflect that

If... as you mentioned both will be available, make yourself a solid and demo both of them. And if you do, please let the forum know your neutral/unbiased opinion.
Cheers
post #555 of 10064 Old 01-08-2016, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadyn View Post
If heights are in ceiling then wont need much EQ anyway.
Absurd.

Do you work at Magnolia?
bkeeler10 likes this.
post #556 of 10064 Old 01-08-2016, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@ MaxxMark,

If... as you mentioned both will be available, make yourself a solid and demo both of them. And if you do, please let the forum know your neutral/unbiased opinion.
Cheers
My choice is made already, but I'd be interested to hear the opinion as well.

Gear: The Brains: Anthem MRX 720. The Brawn: Outlaw 7700. The Fun: Custom PC w/ Logitech 27 & reverse mount pedals, Nintendo Switch, Playstation PS4 Pro. The Visuals: Panny UB420, Epson 6040UB, Panamorph UH480, DIY 138" Curved screen using Semour Centerstage XD AT material. The Audio: 7.1.4: LCR: Tannoy DC12i. Sides: Tannoy IW63DC. Rears: Tannoy DC8i. Ceilings: Tannoy CMS 603/601 DCBM. Subs: 3X Micro Marty and 1X Full Marty.
post #557 of 10064 Old 01-08-2016, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My Onkyo 806 died...today. And my Anthem arrived...today! What awesome news. I'm going to set it all up tonight, calibrate it and see what this baby can do!

post #558 of 10064 Old 01-08-2016, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Wink

Quote:
My Onkyo 806 died...today. And my Anthem arrived...today! What awesome news. I'm going to set it all up tonight, calibrate it and see what this baby can do!
Got to love Kismet. i am sure you will love it as I am with the AVM 60 so far
mkohman likes this.
post #559 of 10064 Old 01-08-2016, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Hello all,
I received my 1120 and have been auditioning some music and movies. First off ARC is so improved especially with the wifi setup. I have been using a MRX700 and it has improved 100%! So on to the performance.WOW! The sound is huge with so much more detail. As stated in an older post more air and better imaging. The depth has also greatly improved. I am only using a 5.1.2 setup with Martin Logan Atmos upward firing speakers on top of my mains. I never thought I would get this much of a difference over my 700. I want to give a shout out to my dealer, Audio Dr. In Jersey City. Dave hooked me up with the first batch. If your looking for a great purchasing experience contact Dave. I just finished watching the new atmos Roger Waters live version of the wall. totally blown away!

Regards,
Jeff
raffin, AVfile, mkohman and 2 others like this.
post #560 of 10064 Old 01-08-2016, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post
Hello all,
I received my 1120 and have been auditioning some music and movies. First off ARC is so improved especially with the wifi setup. I have been using a MRX700 and it has improved 100%! So on to the performance.WOW! The sound is huge with so much more detail. As stated in an older post more air and better imaging. The depth has also greatly improved. I am only using a 5.1.2 setup with Martin Logan Atmos upward firing speakers on top of my mains. I never thought I would get this much of a difference over my 700. I want to give a shout out to my dealer, Audio Dr. In Jersey City. Dave hooked me up with the first batch. If your looking for a great purchasing experience contact Dave. I just finished watching the new atmos Roger Waters live version of the wall. totally blown away!

Regards,
Jeff
Are you letting the 1120 power all the speakers or do you have any external amplification?

I am trying to figure out if the 50 watts will be enough(initially) for those atmos speakers.

Congrats on the new purchase!

Thanks,
post #561 of 10064 Old 01-08-2016, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Hello all,

Regards,
Jeff

Sorry for sidetracking! I've been seriously considering the Martin Logan Atmos speakers, but can't find any reviews on them. What are your impressions of them? Any chance you could post a picture of one with the grill off?

Thanks!
post #562 of 10064 Old 01-08-2016, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
Are you letting the 1120 power all the speakers or do you have any external amplification?

I am trying to figure out if the 50 watts will be enough(initially) for those atmos speakers.

Congrats on the new purchase!

Thanks,
Hello,
Yes I am using just the amps in the AVR? The Atmos speakers are really just used for increased height and height affects. The 50 watts is Plenty of power to add this feature.
I live in a NYC apt and I have to keep this -10db lower than the 700. Now I have to add 2 more Atmos speakers.

Regards,
Jeff
post #563 of 10064 Old 01-08-2016, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffin View Post
Sorry for sidetracking! I've been seriously considering the Martin Logan Atmos speakers, but can't find any reviews on them. What are your impressions of them? Any chance you could post a picture of one with the grill off?

Thanks!
Hello,
I have been experimenting with these speakers and I think I have finally figured out to enter the proper distances to the sweet spot as well as the speaker levels. I think they sound really good. They actually add some high end to my paradigm Studio speakers and ARC makes them seamless with my set up. I definitely would recommend them for Atmos use. They really add another level of sound. In regards to the grilles they do not come off? This is a problem because I could not figure out how they are aiming at the ceiling. I even called ML and they said they would not release this info??

Regards,
Jeff

Last edited by HeffeMusic; 01-08-2016 at 02:44 PM.
post #564 of 10064 Old 01-08-2016, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Hello,
I have been experimenting with these speakers and I think I have finally figured out to enter the proper distances to the sweet spot as well as the speaker levels. I think they sound really good. They actually add some high end to my paradigm Studio speakers and ARC makes them seamless with my set up. I definitely would recommend them for Atmos use. They really add another level of sound. In regards to the grilles they do not come off? This is a problem because I could not figure out how they are aiming at the ceiling. I even called ML and they said they would not release this info??

Regards,
Jeff

Thanks! I guess that explains why I can't find any "ungrilled" photos of them. Do they seem like they project the sound from overhead?
post #565 of 10064 Old 01-08-2016, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffin View Post
Thanks! I guess that explains why I can't find any "ungrilled" photos of them. Do theyHello seem like they project the sound from overhead?
Hello Raffin,
That's a good question. Not sure yet still experimenting with them. They definitely add atomospheric effects but haven't really experienced any detailed over head effects. I have heard great reviews on the Kef Atmos speakers but they are double the price. I also have heard that you need 4 Atmos speakers to achieve the proper affect. Still trying to figure out if I just pinpoint the spot on the cieling where the sound is supposed bounce back to the sweet spot as the distance I enter into the AVR or do I add that distance + the distance from the point on the cieling back to the speaker?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I hope this doesn't confuse anybody😜

Regards
Jeff
post #566 of 10064 Old 01-08-2016, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Hello Raffin,
That's a good question. Not sure yet still experimenting with them. They definitely add atomospheric effects but haven't really experienced any detailed over head effects. I have heard great reviews on the Kef Atmos speakers but they are double the price. I also have heard that you need 4 Atmos speakers to achieve the proper affect. Still trying to figure out if I just pinpoint the spot on the cieling where the sound is supposed bounce back to the sweet spot as the distance I enter into the AVR or do I add that distance + the distance from the point on the cieling back to the speaker?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I hope this doesn't confuse anybody😜

Regards
Jeff
I highly recommend just wall mounting them as front heights. The bounce effect is like 20% of what you get from heights or in ceilings, no matter what anyone says. It's a HUGE HUGE compromise and they only exist so that people who will absolutely not wall mount or ceiling mount have an option to buy into Atmos. Trust me, it's not even close.
post #567 of 10064 Old 01-09-2016, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
There goes my theory

What I just remembered is what the CEO of Dirac mentioned in his interview in regards to Dirac LE implementations in AVR's. He said that there was a possibility for end users to upgrade their version to the full version of Dirac. Although this was mentioned for LE <>Full, it could imply that a similar option could be applied for this situation as well. Of course this is speculation, and without any confirmation it has almost zero value..

Quote:
@ MaxxMark,

Cheers
Gha! What better place to ask that question then. In the Dirac interview the Dirac CEO was talking, so he was also biased as hell. So why not ask Anthem biased people for their take on it.

Yes, my preferred supplier is waiting for both Anthem and Arcam amp's so they can evaluate them theirselves. I'm also quite eager to see them in action. Maybe it's even an option to try the MRX 1120 in my actual situation to find out if it performs well enough for the rear/height speakers.
post #568 of 10064 Old 01-09-2016, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

For those of you who are considering the MRX 720, I'll give my impressions.

First off, upon opening the box I always check out the remote first. This remote feels amazing. It has a sort of rubbery-ish finish that feels nice in the hands. The layout is nice, but I haven't had too much time to play around with it because, honestly, once you get it set up all you really need is the volume. The remote does have a backlight, but it's off by default. For those of us who watch movies in a darkened room, it's very handy.

As for unboxing the receiver itself, it was a fair bit smaller than I'd imagined, but that's just fine because it fits well in my rack and there's plenty of room for it to breathe. The front faceplate is a polished black, contrasting with the main body which is a textured black unlike any receiver I've seen before. I like it.

The part where I was excited was unboxing the ARC goodies. The tripod is quite nice, but it is small and intended for placing on the furniture you're sitting on. I opted to use my boom mic stand as it was easier to have it on the ground and swing it around where I want it to (more stable). A boom mic stand is like $20, but it's not necessary - I'm sure the provided one works fine but I already had this so...

As for the mic itself, it's light years beyond the provided Audyssey mic with my Onkyo. It makes the Audyssey mic look like a toy.

ARC setup was easy peasy because I decided to not mess around with the wireless setup (read: I just wanted to get down to business!), so I plugged in both my laptop and receiver directly into my router. No CD was provided despite talking about it in the manual, so I installed the latest ARC 2 software from the website.

Once all set up, it was nice to see the graphs that were being built as the program ran its course (hey, my response was quite flat overall!). The noises generated by the sweeps reminded me a lot of the REW program and were damn loud compared to the Audyssey. The sweeps were full range as opposed to the quick wap-wap-wap noises from the Audyssey on my Onkyo (this is an older Onkyo and Audyssey may have changed in the last five years so bear that in mind). The amazing part was seeing the results after - ARC does such an amazing job of correcting the room at least on the graph. The sad part of the whole process was the discovery that my used rear ceiling speakers were only outputting the tweeter...no midbass. Looks like I have to take it apart and see if there's a wire that's come loose or something.

Yes, but...how does it sound?

In a word...awesome. I decided to throw in Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation. I watched the front UI of the receiver as the show began and the words "Dolby Atmos" came on. Yes, I did it right! I remember the sound being good in this movie, but wow the dialogue was so amazingly clear! Some might say the sound was enveloping, but I'd call it more full sounding. I don't know what ARC did with my two subs, but it tamed down what was once a bit on the boomy side and made it gel perfectly with the rest of the speakers. It did calibrate the subs a bit on the hot side, but I like it that way, so I left it. The difficult part of my evaluation of the receiver is how do I differentiate between the sound of the receiver vs the sound of Atmos which my previous receiver didn't have? So I threw in Casino Royale, my favourite movie. Again, the sound was phenomenal, but the receiver automatically made use of the ceiling speakers. Not a bad thing, but I have to figure out how to just use the bed layer, if possible. Whatever. The movie sounded better than it ever has.

If there is anything I could nitpick about it would have to be the sparse user manual. I didn't come across anything on Dolby Surround Upmixing, different mode presets, etc. But like I said before, you throw in the Blu Ray and it just works so it's hard to complain about it.

TL;DR - I love this receiver. I couldn't imagine spending my money on the typical Marantz, Yamaha, Denon, etc. receivers when this is available for not that much more. Hope that helps those considering this product.
mkohman likes this.

Last edited by blastermaster; 01-09-2016 at 09:12 AM.
post #569 of 10064 Old 01-09-2016, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
For those of you who are considering the MRX 720, I'll give my impressions.

First off, upon opening the box I always check out the remote first. This remote feels amazing. It has a sort of rubbery-ish finish that feels nice in the hands. The layout is nice, but I haven't had too much time to play around with it because, honestly, once you get it set up all you really need is the volume. This is where the remote fails a bit - no backlight. Not a dealbreaker, but there you go. My Onkyo had a few glow-in-the-dark buttons for the main buttons and it was somewhat helpful. If you use a universal remote, this is a moot point.

As for unboxing the receiver itself, it was a fair bit smaller than I'd imagined, but that's just fine because it fits well in my rack and there's plenty of room for it to breathe. The front faceplate is a polished black, contrasting with the main body which is a textured black unlike any receiver I've seen before. I like it.

The part where I was excited was unboxing the ARC goodies. The tripod is quite nice, but it is small and intended for placing on the furniture you're sitting on. I opted to use my boom mic stand as it was easier to have it on the ground and swing it around where I want it to (more stable). A boom mic stand is like $20, but it's not necessary - I'm sure the provided one works fine but I already had this so...

As for the mic itself, it's light years beyond the provided Audyssey mic with my Onkyo. It makes the Audyssey mic look like a toy.

ARC setup was easy peasy because I decided to not mess around with the wireless setup (read: I just wanted to get down to business!), so I plugged in both my laptop and receiver directly into my router. No CD was provided despite talking about it in the manual, so I installed the latest ARC 2 software from the website.

Once all set up, it was nice to see the graphs that were being built as the program ran its course (hey, my response was quite flat overall!). The noises generated by the sweeps reminded me a lot of the REW program and were damn loud compared to the Audyssey. The sweeps were full range as opposed to the quick wap-wap-wap noises from the Audyssey on my Onkyo (this is an older Onkyo and Audyssey may have changed in the last five years so bear that in mind). The amazing part was seeing the results after - ARC does such an amazing job of correcting the room at least on the graph. The sad part of the whole process was the discovery that my used rear ceiling speakers were only outputting the tweeter...no midbass. Looks like I have to take it apart and see if there's a wire that's come loose or something.

Yes, but...how does it sound?

In a word...awesome. I decided to throw in Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation. I watched the front UI of the receiver as the show began and the words "Dolby Atmos" came on. Yes, I did it right! I remember the sound being good in this movie, but wow the dialogue was so amazingly clear! Some might say the sound was enveloping, but I'd call it more full sounding. I don't know what ARC did with my two subs, but it tamed down what was once a bit on the boomy side and made it gel perfectly with the rest of the speakers. It did calibrate the subs a bit on the hot side, but I like it that way, so I left it. The difficult part of my evaluation of the receiver is how do I differentiate between the sound of the receiver vs the sound of Atmos which my previous receiver didn't have? So I threw in Casino Royale, my favourite movie. Again, the sound was phenomenal, but the receiver automatically made use of the ceiling speakers. Not a bad thing, but I have to figure out how to just use the bed layer, if possible. Whatever. The movie sounded better than it ever has.

If there is anything I could nitpick about it would have to be the sparse user manual. I didn't come across anything on Dolby Surround Upmixing, different mode presets, etc. But like I said before, you throw in the Blu Ray and it just works so it's hard to complain about it.

TL;DR - I love this receiver. I couldn't imagine spending my money on the typical Marantz, Yamaha, Denon, etc. receivers when this is available for not that much more. Hope that helps those considering this product.
If you got the same remote as I got with the AVM 60 it does have a backlight you just have to turn it on or off. It is in the middle under the wheel so to speak. Great review I feel the same way with the AVM 60 but I am not running atmos yet.
post #570 of 10064 Old 01-09-2016, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^So it does! Thanks for that. I'll fix my post.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page