Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 192 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13191Likes

post #5731 of 8195 Old 07-13-2018, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 36
the Problem is that ARC edit the Subwoofercurve how the Input is. When i have a big mode in 40 and 60hz , and i dont drop that before , then Drops ARC that Hz number so drastic that i have a big hole.

and the Anthem dont have two sepperate Subwoofer Delays , so i must use the Behringer for the Delay of the Signal , that i must before i run ARC Change/configurate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5732 of 8195 Old 07-13-2018, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 4819 Post(s)
Liked: 3094
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
Is there some command to get the full audio input details? The info option doesn't show any more than the front panel. I cant even see how many channels etc? So if I'm using some gxx awful device like an Apple TV I just see multi pcm.
Multi PCM will be the number of channels you told your Apple TV your sound system has. The Apple TV will be decoding the audio and sending that format to your receiver. You're much better off setting Apple TV to bitstream, and if it cannot, dump the Apple TV and get something that can.
MOberhardt likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #5733 of 8195 Old 07-13-2018, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers

@MOberhardt , you can use the INFO in the MRX remote app. Check the pics for info displayed.
MOberhardt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5734 of 8195 Old 07-13-2018, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Is there some command to get the full audio input details? The info option doesn't show any more than the front panel. I cant even see how many channels etc? So if I'm using some gxx awful device like an Apple TV I just see multi pcm.
I wish, also. I must say that the Denons' menu and GUI is light years ahead of the Anthem!

bob
post #5735 of 8195 Old 07-13-2018, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondongon View Post
@MOberhardt , you can use the INFO in the MRX remote app. Check the pics for info displayed.
IOS only??

bob
post #5736 of 8195 Old 07-13-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
IOS only??
bob
Not sure if it’s also available for Android, I only have iOS devices so can’t check. The app is just like the Anthem menu’s, plain vanilla... agreed I miss the Denon GUI, and I thought that was bad until I saw the Anthem’s.

PS: I think it’s available https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....mrx2&hl=en_US

Last edited by rondongon; 07-13-2018 at 08:47 AM.
post #5737 of 8195 Old 07-13-2018, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not sure if it’s also available for Android, I only have iOS devices so can’t check. The app is just like the Anthem menu’s, plain vanilla... agreed I miss the Denon GUI, and I thought that was bad until I saw the Anthem’s.

PS: I think it’s available https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....mrx2&hl=en_US
Thanks! I looked earlier and didn't find it

bob
post #5738 of 8195 Old 07-13-2018, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Works great!

Thanks

bob
post #5739 of 8195 Old 07-13-2018, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Ah thanks. So only using the app? That is annoying. I try to keep my theater room a cell free room! I don't have my phone or tablet with me! I'll have to check it though. Thanks
post #5740 of 8195 Old 07-13-2018, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Yea, I am currently running my anthem to two projectors.

The problem here is that your source device is trying to output 4k to your pioneer, which is only able to accept 1080p. Most likely the JVC, even when powered off, is still allowing an EDID to be retrieved by the source advertising 4K capabilities. You might try some of the following things:

1) Always set your source back to 1080p before turning off the JVC. This should allow it to show up on the pioneer
2) Consider ditching using the dual outputs and instead use an HDMI splitter. The rocketfish at best buy works great https://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketf...?skuId=5986903. This $70 device can be set to provide its own EDID or pass through the connected display. You'd feed the anthem into this then the two outputs to your two displays.

I just sprung for the HDFury Vertex. I will always force the Pioneer to 1080P but allow the Oppo to auto sense. We'll see if that does the trick.
post #5741 of 8195 Old 07-13-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Ah thanks. So only using the app? That is annoying. I try to keep my theater room a cell free room! I don't have my phone or tablet with me! I'll have to check it though. Thanks

There’s another way, send any of the following commands to the MRX to get detailed info. PC and wifi needed, is that available in your Theatre room ? The MRX remote app uses some of those IP/RS232 commands.

If any are interested, for fun, a tool like Packet Sender could be used to send any of the ASCII commands (Z1AIF? to a persistent TCP connection at MRX IP:14999. Fun but not user friendly, useful to integrate in any other “smart” ways to control our AV gear. (In my case I use Siri/HomeKit to control my LG/Anthem/Oppo)

PS: full list of commands available here https://www.anthemav.com/downloads/M...-IP-RS-232.xls
MOberhardt likes this.

Last edited by rondongon; 07-13-2018 at 05:04 PM.
post #5742 of 8195 Old 07-13-2018, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Hi Bob, yes the level adjustments ARC set are still in effect when you turn ARC off. So when ARC is off you get the level adjustment increase as well as any increase from the ARC EQ-ing being off so it should be louder when ARC is off.

It looks like your levels are very high and you said your room is small which should mean low levels not high levels to achieve 75dB. 75dB should be easier to achieve in a small room, which should result in lower levels. unless your speakers aren't very efficient. What speakers do you have and when you ran ARC where was the first mic position? Was it at ear level or front main speaker tweeter level? I'm asking because ARC sets the levels based on the first mic position .

BTW here's some light reading on ARC https://hometheaterhifi.com/technica...-optimization/
I used my SPL meter to measure levels after ARC, profile 1; They were all high around 85 db. I adjusted them down to 75 db. Is that OK and why were they so high after ARC?

bob
post #5743 of 8195 Old 07-13-2018, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
I used my SPL meter to measure levels after ARC, profile 1; They were all high around 85 db. I adjusted them down to 75 db. Is that OK and why were they so high after ARC?

bob
Why would you adjust them? It doesn't matter if the volume is 75 or 85 when the master volume is set to 0. Just set the master volume to your desired listening level.
post #5744 of 8195 Old 07-13-2018, 05:37 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5795 Post(s)
Liked: 8267
Quote:

bob
The levels ARC sets correspond to a Volume setting of -10dB during normal use. What Volume setting were you using when you checked with the SPL meter?
—Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #5745 of 8195 Old 07-13-2018, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The levels ARC sets correspond to a Volume setting of -10dB during normal use. What Volume setting were you using when you checked with the SPL meter?

—Bob
Bob, I just turned test tones on and left the offset @ 0. I thought the test tones levels would be preset. Our average listening volume before adjusting is around -40 to -28.

bob
post #5746 of 8195 Old 07-14-2018, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Hi,

I have an mrx520 and, hopefully, a member can help me interpret the speaker levels I see undr Level Calibration:

Dolby Offset/Calibration Levedl = 0 db
SUbwoofer = +11 db
Front Left = +7 db
Centre = +7 db
Front Right = + 7 db
Surround Right = +7 db
Surround Left = +8 db

I also have an mrx310 where I could see how much each speaker had been boosted in order to match levels.

Should I adjust the volume of my sub up or down and re-measure?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you.
post #5747 of 8195 Old 07-14-2018, 05:15 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post
Hi,

I have an mrx520 and, hopefully, a member can help me interpret the speaker levels I see undr Level Calibration:

Dolby Offset/Calibration Levedl = 0 db
SUbwoofer = +11 db
Front Left = +7 db
Centre = +7 db
Front Right = + 7 db
Surround Right = +7 db
Surround Left = +8 db

I also have an mrx310 where I could see how much each speaker had been boosted in order to match levels.

Should I adjust the volume of my sub up or down and re-measure?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Adjust volume on your Sub *UP* and re-Measure for ARC.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #5748 of 8195 Old 07-14-2018, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Adjust volume on your Sub *UP* and re-Measure for ARC.
--Bob
Thank you.

I re-ran ARC.

The performance report before raising sub volume was as follows:

Front Left: 7 dB
Center: 7 dB
Front Right: 7 dB
Surround Right: 7 dB
Surround Left: 8 dB
Subwoofer: 8 dB

The performance report after raising sub volume was as follows:

Front Left: 6 dB
Front Right: 6 dB
Surround Right: 7 dB
Subwoofer: -2 dB

Front Left: 6 dB
Front Right: 6 dB
Surround Right: 8 dB
Subwoofer: 0 dB

Should I be concerned about the attached Level Calibration screen?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0217.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	2428618  

Last edited by audit13; 07-14-2018 at 07:01 PM.
post #5749 of 8195 Old 07-14-2018, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
—Bob
Bob

As I suspected, the volume control is disabled when checking/adjusting vol levels. That's why the cal offset is there to reference the FL speaker to 75 db.

So, I still wonder why ARC set my levels so high even tho the ARC charts show ~ 75 db average.

Unless my meter is wrong ?

Denon lets you vary the vol levels while running test tones.

bob
post #5750 of 8195 Old 07-14-2018, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Stick it out or run away?

Four months ago I purchased an Anthem MRX720 from the local A/V store. When it works I am very happy with it, but it doesn't always work which is what brings me here to ask for advise.

In that short time of ownership I have experienced the black and white "snow" screen which was resolved by disabling OSD (thanks to a tip earlier in this thread). Trouble waking subwoofers from standby. Two lockups that required reaching around back to yank the power cord. Getting stuck in headphones mode which normally requires returning the unit, but I apparently fixed it by opening the case and reseating the cable going to the headphone jack board. And a week ago I lost all sound output.

In the past 7 days it has been at the A/V store while Anthem has them jumping through hoops trying different things before they'll authorize a return. When I called my sales guy today and left a voicemail saying that I would very much like to have my money back he returned my call an hour later to say that he put in the latest firmware (which it already had) and now it was working. Several hours later he called back to confirm that it was still working.

My concern at this point is that I'm in for months and years of constantly sending this unit or replacements units back to the A/V store and Anthem and waiting weeks each time for them to try to get it working just enough to return it to me. And in 3 years when the warranty expires I'll be shopping for a new receiver. Is this just me getting carried away or is there a real concern that Anthem gear is always coming from or going back for repair? If I got separates would I be any better off in regards to robust operating and lack of manufacturing defects?

Thank you for any advice you can offer. I'm off to "enjoy" listing to my 18 year old made in Japan Denon receiver that just keeps chugging along.
post #5751 of 8195 Old 07-15-2018, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Multi PCM will be the number of channels you told your Apple TV your sound system has. The Apple TV will be decoding the audio and sending that format to your receiver. You're much better off setting Apple TV to bitstream, and if it cannot, dump the Apple TV and get something that can.
The Apple TV 4/4K will only bitstream Dolby Digital, nothing else.

I just went through a hassle getting decent sound from an Apple TV 4K and learned a lot about how the Apple TV outputs sound.

What happens when you select "Best available" under its sound settings with tvOS 11.4?

If the Apple TV determines that the connected device is capable of decoding a Dolby Digital Plus signal, it internally decodes the Dolby Digital Plus signal and outputs multi-channel PCM (5.1 or 7.1). The front panel will indicate multi PCM. You will never see Dolby D+ on the front panel.

If the Apple TV determines that the connected device is not capable of decoding a Dolby Digital Plus signal, it will out a Dolby Digital. The front panel will indicate Dolby Digital.
What happens when you select "Dolby Digital" under its sound settings with tvOS 11.4?

The Apple TV will always output a Dolby Digital signal and the front panel will indicate Dolby Digital.
tvOS 12 beta has Atmos support and the Apple TV 4K will output multi-channel PCM with Atmos metadata.

Last edited by audit13; 07-15-2018 at 08:10 AM.
post #5752 of 8195 Old 07-15-2018, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2819 Post(s)
Liked: 1779
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM732 View Post
Four months ago I purchased an Anthem MRX720 from the local A/V store. When it works I am very happy with it, but it doesn't always work which is what brings me here to ask for advise.

In that short time of ownership I have experienced the black and white "snow" screen which was resolved by disabling OSD (thanks to a tip earlier in this thread). Trouble waking subwoofers from standby. Two lockups that required reaching around back to yank the power cord. Getting stuck in headphones mode which normally requires returning the unit, but I apparently fixed it by opening the case and reseating the cable going to the headphone jack board. And a week ago I lost all sound output.

In the past 7 days it has been at the A/V store while Anthem has them jumping through hoops trying different things before they'll authorize a return. When I called my sales guy today and left a voicemail saying that I would very much like to have my money back he returned my call an hour later to say that he put in the latest firmware (which it already had) and now it was working. Several hours later he called back to confirm that it was still working.

My concern at this point is that I'm in for months and years of constantly sending this unit or replacements units back to the A/V store and Anthem and waiting weeks each time for them to try to get it working just enough to return it to me. And in 3 years when the warranty expires I'll be shopping for a new receiver. Is this just me getting carried away or is there a real concern that Anthem gear is always coming from or going back for repair? If I got separates would I be any better off in regards to robust operating and lack of manufacturing defects?

Thank you for any advice you can offer. I'm off to "enjoy" listing to my 18 year old made in Japan Denon receiver that just keeps chugging along.
Always possible you got a lemon. I'd be unhappy too. How long have you had the thing? Are you still within the seller's return period, assume you are based on what you wrote? If so, I'd consider returning it and getting a different unit as I would like to think that the bum unit is a problem between Anthem and your dealer if you are within the return period. The dealer won't want to do that as I doubt they stock the things and have to order them from Anthem. Dunno, but they do need to live up to their own policies and any sort of legal requirements that might be in place where you live. While separates have their merits, I don't think that alone will fix your issues. I mean yeah, a new unit probably would, but receiver vs. pre-pro shouldn't matter.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #5753 of 8195 Old 07-15-2018, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Bob

As I suspected, the volume control is disabled when checking/adjusting vol levels. That's why the cal offset is there to reference the FL speaker to 75 db.

So, I still wonder why ARC set my levels so high even tho the ARC charts show ~ 75 db average.

Unless my meter is wrong ?

Denon lets you vary the vol levels while running test tones.

bob
I don't think your meter is wrong.

While trying to get a properly working avr and a working microphone, I went through trying out 4 different microphones. Each time the trims were set to similar leves (+7, etc ..)

My previous Pioneer receiver was setting the same speakers in same room to about -2dB or so.

I have read Bob's explanation many times (about the calibrated levels correspond to a volume levels of -10), I struggle a bit to understand it, maybe I don't yet, maybe I do.

The way I like to think about it now, is that it calibrates your speakers such that if you are listening to a material at a volume level of -10, it would be the same if you are listening at volume levels of 0 on other receivers (i.e. a volume setting of -10 will be producing reference level output).

So that means you could theoretically bump it up even further, i.e. you can set it to 0 while listening to material, and you would get much more output than what you get on the other receivers.

Obviously if you wanted to do this on other receivers, you can always bump up the trims, so why Anthem does this differently, I find very confusing and a bit annoying.

Maybe playing with that calibration offset can get this behavior more aligned to what I am used to, but alas I just learned to live with it.

Anyway, nothing wrong with your speakers and mic, calibrate, set the volume to where you like it, and enjoy
post #5754 of 8195 Old 07-15-2018, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quick question regarding ARC and an external sub DSP.

If I have a very powerful sub at low frequency, and let's say I set the external DSP such that I have a very big boost around 18-25Hz.

If I then run Arc, will it try and flatten this ? Is there something I need to do to preserve it ?

Or maybe best in this case to after running both setups (1. external EQ, followed by 2. ARC ..), I then re-check the response with REW again, and if needed readjust in my external DSP.
post #5755 of 8195 Old 07-15-2018, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextr75 View Post
I don't think your meter is wrong.

While trying to get a properly working avr and a working microphone, I went through trying out 4 different microphones. Each time the trims were set to similar leves (+7, etc ..)

My previous Pioneer receiver was setting the same speakers in same room to about -2dB or so.

I have read Bob's explanation many times (about the calibrated levels correspond to a volume levels of -10), I struggle a bit to understand it, maybe I don't yet, maybe I do.

The way I like to think about it now, is that it calibrates your speakers such that if you are listening to a material at a volume level of -10, it would be the same if you are listening at volume levels of 0 on other receivers (i.e. a volume setting of -10 will be producing reference level output).

So that means you could theoretically bump it up even further, i.e. you can set it to 0 while listening to material, and you would get much more output than what you get on the other receivers.

Obviously if you wanted to do this on other receivers, you can always bump up the trims, so why Anthem does this differently, I find very confusing and a bit annoying.

Maybe playing with that calibration offset can get this behavior more aligned to what I am used to, but alas I just learned to live with it.

Anyway, nothing wrong with your speakers and mic, calibrate, set the volume to where you like it, and enjoy

Thanks, and I don't understand the -10 explanation but I'm old I'll do another ARC run sonn anyway just to play around with mic placement and because you can save old ARC runs so why not.

bob

BTW, in our small room, I could never get to-10 without hearing damage. Avg vol is -45 ( quiet morning) to -30 ( tv/movies)
post #5756 of 8195 Old 07-15-2018, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Also, what confused me on Bob's reply was "where did you have the volume set?" Because you have no control over the volume when running test tones.

bob
post #5757 of 8195 Old 07-15-2018, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Always possible you got a lemon. I'd be unhappy too. How long have you had the thing? Are you still within the seller's return period, assume you are based on what you wrote? If so, I'd consider returning it and getting a different unit as I would like to think that the bum unit is a problem between Anthem and your dealer if you are within the return period. The dealer won't want to do that as I doubt they stock the things and have to order them from Anthem. Dunno, but they do need to live up to their own policies and any sort of legal requirements that might be in place where you live. While separates have their merits, I don't think that alone will fix your issues. I mean yeah, a new unit probably would, but receiver vs. pre-pro shouldn't matter.

It has been 4 months and their return policy is only 7 days. The store manager doesn't work the weekends so on Monday I'll find out if there is a possibility of getting store credit, though I struggle to find something that I want in the other brands that they carry.

The unit I purchased actually was stocked so they might have another one in stock now. If I just have a lemon then a repair or replacement would be satisfactory, but it seems like the goal of Anthem and the dealer is to apply a little spit and polish and get it back to me working without having done anything to address the problem. If people here aren't having this kind of trouble with their receiver then I feel better about giving it another chance.

Anthem warranty grows from 3 years to 5 years with separates which is part of why I started thinking along those lines. Clearly even the manufacturer expects the separates to be more reliable.
post #5758 of 8195 Old 07-15-2018, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM732 View Post
It has been 4 months and their return policy is only 7 days. The store manager doesn't work the weekends so on Monday I'll find out if there is a possibility of getting store credit, though I struggle to find something that I want in the other brands that they carry.

The unit I purchased actually was stocked so they might have another one in stock now. If I just have a lemon then a repair or replacement would be satisfactory, but it seems like the goal of Anthem and the dealer is to apply a little spit and polish and get it back to me working without having done anything to address the problem. If people here aren't having this kind of trouble with their receiver then I feel better about giving it another chance.

Anthem warranty grows from 3 years to 5 years with separates which is part of why I started thinking along those lines. Clearly even the manufacturer expects the separates to be more reliable.
I had the mrx500 for 3.5 years and no problems. Had the mrx310 for just over 3 years and no problems. Just got a mrx520 and hope to have the same experience.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I certainly don't think it is typical of the Anthem receivers.

Do you what advice Anthem has provided to the dealer to rectify the problem?
post #5759 of 8195 Old 07-15-2018, 10:00 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Also, what confused me on Bob's reply was "where did you have the volume set?" Because you have no control over the volume when running test tones.

bob
My misunderstanding. I thought you were using a calibration track from a test disc.

OK, first of all the built-in test tones in the Anthem don't go through ARC. So you are hearing the boost produced by the positive valued speaker trims ARC Uploaded into your Level Calibration, but you are NOT hearing the attenuation ARC's Room Correction parameters may have included to deal with particular problems in your room.

If you want to double-check ARC is doing the right thing you need to play real content, through an Input you've set up with ARC Room Correction enabled. I.e., an audio calibration test track.

I suggest you use the LPCM 5.1 or 7.1 Channel ID tracks from AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray. I've linked to that disc in my Blog post here:

Calibration Discs

For the correct way to use an SPL Meter when checking this stuff, see my Blog post here:

Balancing Speaker Volume Trims with an SPL Meter

-------------------------

Home Theater setups are typically calibrated to produce 75dB SPL when Reference Level test tones are played. (As noted above, many people find this uncomfortably loud, but it is still the target for setting things up. Note also that PEAK audio output from movies, etc, can be well above that 75dB calibration level.)

But Commercial Movie Theater setups are calibrated at a higher level -- 85dB -- partly to better overwhelm audience noise.

Some folks want to calibrate their Home Theater to the louder, Movie Theater levels, and years ago, Anthem decided to accommodate them as follows:

An ARC solution reported as 75dB in the ARC charts will actually produce 75dB if you play Reference Level test tones through ARC while the Anthem's Volume is set to -10dB.

If, you would rather use your Home Theater at 85dB, you can use that SAME ARC solution. Simply set the Volume to 0dB instead -- i.e., +10dB hotter.

--------------------------

So if your ARC solution is reporting it has achieved 75dB in the charts, and if you play those LPCM Channel ID tracks from the AIX Audio Calibration disc through an ARC-enabled Input in your Anthem, you should get 75dB SPL from your Main Speakers when you have the Anthem Volume set to -10dB.

The Subwoofer will be a little hotter than 75dB SPL in this test -- by an amount equal to the Room Gain built into your ARC solution.

--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 07-15-2018 at 10:05 AM.
post #5760 of 8195 Old 07-15-2018, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My misunderstanding. I thought you were using a calibration track from a test disc.

OK, first of all the built-in test tones in the Anthem don't go through ARC. So you are hearing the boost produced by the positive valued speaker trims ARC Uploaded into your Level Calibration, but you are NOT hearing the attenuation ARC's Room Correction parameters may have included to deal with particular problems in your room.

If you want to double-check ARC is doing the right thing you need to play real content, through an Input you've set up with ARC Room Correction enabled. I.e., an audio calibration test track.

I suggest you use the LPCM 5.1 or 7.1 Channel ID tracks from AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray. I've linked to that disc in my Blog post here:

Calibration Discs

For the correct way to use an SPL Meter when checking this stuff, see my Blog post here:

Balancing Speaker Volume Trims with an SPL Meter

-------------------------

Home Theater setups are typically calibrated to produce 75dB SPL when Reference Level test tones are played. (As noted above, many people find this uncomfortably loud, but it is still the target for setting things up. Note also that PEAK audio output from movies, etc, can be well above that 75dB calibration level.)

But Commercial Movie Theater setups are calibrated at a higher level -- 85dB -- partly to better overwhelm audience noise.

Some folks want to calibrate their Home Theater to the louder, Movie Theater levels, and years ago, Anthem decided to accommodate them as follows:

An ARC solution reported as 75dB in the ARC charts will actually produce 75dB if you play Reference Level test tones through ARC while the Anthem's Volume is set to -10dB.

If, you would rather use your Home Theater at 85dB, you can use that SAME ARC solution. Simply set the Volume to 0dB instead -- i.e., +10dB hotter.

--------------------------

So if your ARC solution is reporting it has achieved 75dB in the charts, and if you play those LPCM Channel ID tracks from the AIX Audio Calibration disc through an ARC-enabled Input in your Anthem, you should get 75dB SPL from your Main Speakers when you have the Anthem Volume set to -10dB.

The Subwoofer will be a little hotter than 75dB SPL in this test -- by an amount equal to the Room Gain built into your ARC solution.

--Bob
Thanks, Bob

As always, You 'da man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page