Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 194 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14023Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5791 of 10152 Old 07-18-2018, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audit13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,219
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
There is nothing wrong with any of the four sets of data you have presented. Everything sounding ok?
Thank you for the feedback. Everything sounds good but slightly more bass-heavy than the mrx310 it replaced. It could be my imagination but I didn't change anything else. I'll have re-watch some movies and play some music I'm more familiar with.

Do I have to worry about the values in the attached Level Calibration screen?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0217.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	2429812  
audit13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5792 of 10152 Old 07-18-2018, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 12,163
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3472 Post(s)
Liked: 2197
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post
Thank you for the feedback. Everything sounds good but slightly more bass-heavy than the mrx310 it replaced. It could be my imagination but I didn't change anything else. I'll have re-watch some movies and play some music I'm more familiar with.

Do I have to worry about the values in the attached Level Calibration screen?
The levels are all technically fine -- but the +11 on the sub may limit some bass tweaking options as mentioned below. You might be better off with the results you got after raising the subwoofer gain as Bob advised, as it gives you more options down the road. So I'd start there.

Then, if the bass sounds too heavy, you have at least 3 possible remedies -- but they all sound different, so some experimentation may be useful.

1) Use the Bass control.

2) Reduce the subwoofer output level on the speaker levels screen you posted.

3) Open the ARC program in your computer, load the current .arc file, and in the Targets page reduce the Room Gain value. I find that setting to 0.00 is better in my room for mid-bass. YMMV

If you go the route of option 3, you may find that the midbass sounds better but the deeper bass is now a little weak. In that case you have three options:

a) Raise the gain at the subwoofer "to taste." I don't like this as one cannot easily know how much change they applied in case you want to make further adjustments.

b) Raise the gain on the sub level trim. (This is why the +11 setting is an issue -- there's only 1 more dB available and you might need 2-5 dB of boost depending on taste.)

c) Shift all the gains on every channel down an equal amount, like 6 dB, on every Profile you use. If you are interested in calibrating the Master Volume, and you have a test disc, that shift could be as much as 10 dB. In either case, then you'll have a lot more room to tweak the subwoofer gain relative to the other channels. The downside to this method is that each time you upload ARC (such as after tweaking the Room Gain or changing crossovers) you have to re-apply the gain shifts to any of the Profiles you use. Can be tedious.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #5793 of 10152 Old 07-18-2018, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audit13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,219
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
The levels are all technically fine -- but the +11 on the sub may limit some bass tweaking options as mentioned below. You might be better off with the results you got after raising the subwoofer gain as Bob advised, as it gives you more options down the road. So I'd start there.
Hi,

My apologies but I posted the wrong screen shot. The current settings are:

From the performance report:

Front Left: 6 dB
Center: 7 dB
Front Right: 6 dB
Surround Right: 8 dB
Surround Left: 8 dB
Subwoofer: 0 dB

I'm going to try out your suggestions ASAP.

Thank you.

Edit: I opened the last arc and noticed it was set to eq up to 20,000 so I reset it back to 5,000 and adjusted the speaker distances in the menu. Just finished watching The Huntsman Winter's War and it sounded a bit better. Next thing will be to assist room gain and retest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0223.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	2429908  

Last edited by audit13; 07-20-2018 at 09:52 AM.
audit13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5794 of 10152 Old 07-21-2018, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audit13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,219
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Been using my mrx520 with an svs pb12-nsd for the past few days. The only change I made from my original arc settings was limiting eq to 5000.

Tried a few movies, including Cabin In the Woods from iTunes and the bass from the subwoofer was loud and deep. The rumbling during certain scenes was incredible, never had it sound like this with my mrx310. It seemed almost over-powering at times but never distorted. Sub limiter did not kick in at all. My room is not too big, about 10' w x 14' l x 7' h. Is the mrx520 better at equalizing the sub?

I'm going to see how it sounds with reduced room gain.

Last edited by audit13; 07-21-2018 at 09:03 PM.
audit13 is offline  
post #5795 of 10152 Old 07-22-2018, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
spongebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: San Jose, Ca.
Posts: 3,745
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 77
DD Dynamics Problem

I haven't been able to hear any difference on any input on any surround format. I was hoping to use "late night" late at night but no setting makes even a small difference?

bob
spongebob is offline  
post #5796 of 10152 Old 07-22-2018, 09:36 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,411
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5932 Post(s)
Liked: 8499
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
I haven't been able to hear any difference on any input on any surround format. I was hoping to use "late night" late at night but no setting makes even a small difference?

bob
Make sure you are sending Bitstream to the Anthem. The Dynamics stuff gets implemented at the point DD Bitstream audio is decoded into LPCM.

In addition, the DD track has to contain Dynamics metadata for this to do anything.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #5797 of 10152 Old 07-22-2018, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
spongebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: San Jose, Ca.
Posts: 3,745
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Make sure you are sending Bitstream to the Anthem. The Dynamics stuff gets implemented at the point DD Bitstream audio is decoded into LPCM.

In addition, the DD track has to contain Dynamics metadata for this to do anything.
--Bob
Where do I check/change that, Bob?

thx
spongebob is offline  
post #5798 of 10152 Old 07-22-2018, 09:51 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,411
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5932 Post(s)
Liked: 8499
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
Where do I check/change that, Bob?

thx
You can check with the Info status in the Anthem whether the audio coming into the Anthem is Dolby Digital or PCM. If you are playing a DD track, but getting PCM into the Anthem, then you need to change the audio output settings of your Source device.

As for how a given DD track is authored, I do not know a good source for checking that.

Alternatively you can use Dolby Volume to adjust for lower volume listening. It will process the audio to make dialog more intelligible when listening at lower Volumes for example. Enable it in your Input definition, and use the Dyn button to make changes to its settings on the fly.

I suggest you turn Dolby Volume OFF when you are not actually using it on an Input.

Also, enabling Dolby Volume for an Input means you can't play Atmos tracks as Atmos. They'll play as TrueHD 7.1 instead.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #5799 of 10152 Old 07-22-2018, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
spongebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: San Jose, Ca.
Posts: 3,745
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
You can check with the Info status in the Anthem whether the audio coming into the Anthem is Dolby Digital or PCM. If you are playing a DD track, but getting PCM into the Anthem, then you need to change the audio output settings of your Source device.

As for how a given DD track is authored, I do not know a good source for checking that.

Alternatively you can use Dolby Volume to adjust for lower volume listening. It will process the audio to make dialog more intelligible when listening at lower Volumes for example. Enable it in your Input definition, and use the Dyn button to make changes to its settings on the fly.

I suggest you turn Dolby Volume OFF when you are not actually using it on an Input.

Also, enabling Dolby Volume for an Input means you can't play Atmos tracks as Atmos. They'll play as TrueHD 7.1 instead.
--Bob
I changed my Direct TV box from DD to PCM but it still didn't make a difference. Does it have to be a Blu-Ray or what works for you?

thx

bob
spongebob is offline  
post #5800 of 10152 Old 07-23-2018, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,164
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6813 Post(s)
Liked: 4937
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
I changed my Direct TV box from DD to PCM but it still didn't make a difference. Does it have to be a Blu-Ray or what works for you?

thx

bob
Neither of these options is right. Setting the Direct TV box to DD will have it *decode* the audio into dolby digital. Setting it to PCM will have it *decode* the audio into PCM. You want it to not decode the audio at all and pass it onto the receiver to decode. This is usually done by telling the box which formats your receiver understanding and letting it send it along.

When you're playing back the content, you use volume button on the remote, does it say Dolby 3/2 or such? Or does it say Multichannel PCM?

JVC Control - my software for controlling JVC projector via IP control.
Smart Masking - See my automatic smart screen masking system.
JVC IR Codes - free online pronto code converter for JVC IR codes.
markmon1 is offline  
post #5801 of 10152 Old 07-23-2018, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
spongebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: San Jose, Ca.
Posts: 3,745
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Neither of these options is right. Setting the Direct TV box to DD will have it *decode* the audio into dolby digital. Setting it to PCM will have it *decode* the audio into PCM. You want it to not decode the audio at all and pass it onto the receiver to decode. This is usually done by telling the box which formats your receiver understanding and letting it send it along.

When you're playing back the content, you use volume button on the remote, does it say Dolby 3/2 or such? Or does it say Multichannel PCM?

When DTV audio is set to DD, it says DD on the display. When DD is turned off, the DTV defaults to PCM which is displayed. The strange part is when it says PCM, the DD dynamics disappears as an option cycling through the DYN button?

thx

bob
spongebob is offline  
post #5802 of 10152 Old 07-23-2018, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 12,163
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3472 Post(s)
Liked: 2197
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Neither of these options is right. Setting the Direct TV box to DD will have it *decode* the audio into dolby digital. Setting it to PCM will have it *decode* the audio into PCM. You want it to not decode the audio at all and pass it onto the receiver to decode.
In a DirecTV box, the DD output setting means the transmitted bitstream is passed through untouched. That's the only way to get 5.1 audio, and the only way to put the AV decoder in control of DD DRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
When DTV audio is set to DD, it says DD on the display. When DD is turned off, the DTV defaults to PCM which is displayed.
Perfect.

Quote:
The strange part is when it says PCM, the DD dynamics disappears as an option cycling through the DYN button?
Yes, that's correct. PCM carries no DD DRC metadata. That's what Dolby Volume is supposed to address -- you'll notice that DV and Dolby Leveler are both still available.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #5803 of 10152 Old 07-23-2018, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
spongebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: San Jose, Ca.
Posts: 3,745
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
In a DirecTV box, the DD output setting means the transmitted bitstream is passed through untouched. That's the only way to get 5.1 audio, and the only way to put the AV decoder in control of DD DRC.

Perfect.

Yes, that's correct. PCM carries no DD DRC metadata. That's what Dolby Volume is supposed to address -- you'll notice that DV and Dolby Leveler are both still available.

Then why is the DD DRC option there when watching DD material? I can choose all 3 choices but nothing happens. I have dolby volume and DD DRC choices available.

thx

bob
spongebob is offline  
post #5804 of 10152 Old 07-23-2018, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 12,163
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3472 Post(s)
Liked: 2197
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
Then why is the DD DRC option there when watching DD material? I can choose all 3 choices but nothing happens. I have dolby volume and DD DRC choices available.

thx

bob
It seems like nothing is happening, but I checked on my AVM 60 and it is operational. I used a Dolby test disc.

With most DirecTV content it does nothing because it's already been hammered. I even tried Jurassic World from TBS and it did nothing. Nor did it need to.

You might have more luck with Dolby Leveler, try setting 8.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"

Last edited by Roger Dressler; 07-23-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #5805 of 10152 Old 07-24-2018, 07:19 PM
Member
 
Prophizee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Have weird question...so my dealers is basically giving away a an integra dta 70.1. I have an anthem 1120 and have never really thought about going with separates and curious if you guys would go with the imtegra. There willing to let me demo but haven't had a chance to get down there. It any of you have any input would be amazing. Thanks in advance for your help

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Prophizee is offline  
post #5806 of 10152 Old 07-25-2018, 05:32 AM
Member
 
Prophizee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Anyone

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Prophizee is offline  
post #5807 of 10152 Old 07-25-2018, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Carbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Boston, MA , USA
Posts: 1,716
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 351
I have that amp. Although it is not connected to a Anthem. It's a good amp. What kind of speakers do you have? Because it could not drive my Wharfedales Jades. It has no problem driving Klipsch or GoldenEar 7's.

1) JVC RS540, Monolith HTP-1, Outlaw Audio 7700 & 7140, Wharfedale Jade 7's series speakers, RSL C34e(Atmos)
2) LG OLED65B6, Integra DRC-R1.1, Emotiva XPA9, Klipsch RP8000F, Klipsch RP404C, Klipsch RP500SA, Klipsch RP140D
3) Sony XBR55F900, Yamaha CXA5100 & MX5000, GoldenEar SuperSat 3 System
Carbo is offline  
post #5808 of 10152 Old 07-25-2018, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 3,942
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked: 627
The Integra gets good reviews but how much is almost free? It would hurt to demo so long as there's no obligation to buy.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Naim Uniti Nova, Vintage Marantz Model 22, Oppo UDP-203, Bluesound Node 2i, TEAC A-4070 Tape Deck
Focal Aria 936/CC900, B&W M-1, SVS SB-3000, MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
mbroadus is offline  
post #5809 of 10152 Old 07-25-2018, 08:37 AM
Member
 
Prophizee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I have prestige 95s c55 center and monitor v7 7 for surrounds cl65 pro for my atmos and atoms v7 for the rears

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Prophizee is offline  
post #5810 of 10152 Old 07-25-2018, 03:30 PM
Member
 
XYVYX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swatdude1 View Post
I just sprung for the HDFury Vertex. I will always force the Pioneer to 1080P but allow the Oppo to auto sense. We'll see if that does the trick.
So... any luck w/ the Vertex (assuming you received it)?

I've got an Emotiva XMC w/ the new HDMI board... I'm researching replacement options like the AVM60... the XMC doesn't play nice w/ the Vertex and i'm trying to send my video to multiple projectors too. The XMC might get a firmware update and I'm trying to resolve this by cloning EDID tags, but it sounds like the Anthem might be more neutral / less buggy in passing 4k HDR content.

@markmon1 I'm finding that my JVC is trump'd (superceded, not fubar'd ) by my Panasonic projector when I have them both plugged-in to the Vertex and they're powered up at the same time. I can only get a 4k signal from my Oppo if I start w/ the JVC, then turn on the Panny after... and even THAT isn't super consistent.

Magnepan 1.7s, Magnepan CC5, 2x JL F113 subs
2x Emotiva XPA-1 (L/R), XPA-5 (center, surrounds)
Emotiva XMC-1, Oppo UDP-205 & JVC RS540U + Stewart Cima 2.35:1 133"
XYVYX is offline  
post #5811 of 10152 Old 07-27-2018, 08:30 AM
Member
 
thegladiator75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Milan (Italy)
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Bob (or anybody else is able to give me an actual feedback), as you know ARC does not calculate the distances for speakers. If for fronts, center and surrounds is just a matter of measuring and setting the distance manually, it should not be the same for subwoofer. I mean, the actual and measured distance of sub could not be the right one to be set due to phase. That being said, which is the easiest method to calculate the right distance (and phase) of the sub? Hope what I'm telling makes sense…
thegladiator75 is offline  
post #5812 of 10152 Old 07-27-2018, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
spongebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: San Jose, Ca.
Posts: 3,745
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Bad Sub Integration 720

Guys

I'm struggling with the sub integration. I HATE hearing the sub if that makes sense? With my 15 year old Mc MX-119, same speakers, same power amp, Speakers set to large, x-over @80, the sub blended beautifully, never sticking out like an isolated sound like it does now on some content. Even watching live local news, I can hear it pumping in the background. It sounds like wind noise from a Mic if you are familiar with that? I'm attaching my ARC file again for brave souls that trust me
Attached Files
File Type: zip MRX 720.arc2pro1flat.arc2.zip (207.7 KB, 15 views)
spongebob is offline  
post #5813 of 10152 Old 07-27-2018, 09:01 AM
Senior Member
 
rondongon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MTL, QC
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegladiator75 View Post
Bob (or anybody else is able to give me an actual feedback), as you know ARC does not calculate the distances for speakers. If for fronts, center and surrounds is just a matter of measuring and setting the distance manually, it should not be the same for subwoofer. I mean, the actual and measured distance of sub could not be the right one to be set due to phase. That being said, which is the easiest method to calculate the right distance (and phase) of the sub? Hope what I'm telling makes sense…
Check this very useful post from Bob answering my questions about phase control.

As to how to best adjust Phase on the sub, I only had a Phase knob, so I needed to be a bit creative. So I used two apps on two different devices. F Generator Pro(iOS) is connected to the MRX audio L/R input where it would send an 80Hz sine wave.

Then in the main listener position, I used my iPhone X and Decibel X Pro to record the level as I was alternating the knob position from previous to the "best" setting on my sub with background ambient in between switching. Check the attached pic, it was shocking (increase of ~ 6dB) to see how much phase control for a sub makes a difference depending where the sub is located !

Maybe there's an easier way that doesn't involve apps, but I have no more CD or CD recording devices to play test tones.

CAUTION: after 20 or so mns of doing this test, my ears were hurting for few days
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phase Control.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	2433592  

Last edited by rondongon; 07-27-2018 at 09:14 AM.
rondongon is offline  
post #5814 of 10152 Old 07-27-2018, 09:26 AM
Senior Member
 
rondongon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MTL, QC
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
Guys

I'm struggling with the sub integration. I HATE hearing the sub if that makes sense? ... Even watching live local news, I can hear it pumping in the background. It sounds like wind noise from a Mic if you are familiar with that? ...
Very interesting, from my limited reading, if one is able to detect/feel the location of a sub, then placement could be an issue, or crossover freq...

The only comment and apparent "artifact" from your file that may not correlate to your complaints, is that the sub level is boosted a lot by ARC (+8.25dB). Its almost like ur sub gain is on its very very lowest setting... I adjusted my sub settings very well before, so ARC didnt apply any level increase (Sub level 0)

Could it be the center that is bothering you and not the sub ?

Last edited by rondongon; 07-27-2018 at 09:29 AM.
rondongon is offline  
post #5815 of 10152 Old 07-27-2018, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
spongebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: San Jose, Ca.
Posts: 3,745
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondongon View Post
Very interesting, from my limited reading, if one is able to detect/feel the location of a sub, then placement could be an issue, or crossover freq...

The only comment and apparent "artifact" from your file that may not correlate to your complaints, is that the sub level is boosted a lot by ARC (+8.25dB). Its almost like ur sub gain is on its very very lowest setting... I adjusted my sub settings very well before, so ARC didnt apply any level increase (Sub level 0)

Could it be the center that is bothering you and not the sub ?
Thanks, No i put my ear right at the sub when it's rumbling badly! I need a test disc so I can see what ARC is really doing, not rely on the test tones.

bob
spongebob is offline  
post #5816 of 10152 Old 07-27-2018, 10:04 AM
Senior Member
 
rondongon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MTL, QC
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
Thanks, No i put my ear right at the sub when it's rumbling badly! I need a test disc so I can see what ARC is really doing, not rely on the test tones.

bob
Given that you had good sub/mains "blending" in your previous setup (MC) and nothing changed except the MRX (anything else ?), then all fingers point to the MRX/ARC. How does it sound with music ? You also said that in your previous setup, a 80Hz crossover freq was used which ARC set.

(I have two profiles 2.0 and 2.1 where I measured using ARC, and honestly its so hard to tell the difference, so I use 2.1 to lengthen the life of the ProAC woofers. My very old tiny SVS sound SB12-Plus blend very nicely for music.)
rondongon is offline  
post #5817 of 10152 Old 07-27-2018, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 12,163
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3472 Post(s)
Liked: 2197
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
Thanks, No i put my ear right at the sub when it's rumbling badly! I need a test disc so I can see what ARC is really doing, not rely on the test tones.
How does it sound if you turn off ARC? Now you'll just have bass management, same as before with the MX-119. If still sounds wrong, at least you know it has nothing to do with ARC.
rondongon likes this.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #5818 of 10152 Old 07-27-2018, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
spongebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: San Jose, Ca.
Posts: 3,745
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
How does it sound if you turn off ARC? Now you'll just have bass management, same as before with the MX-119. If still sounds wrong, at least you know it has nothing to do with ARC.
Doesn't the bass get boosted artificially with ARC off? I though the manual mentions that? When I ran the internal test tones with a meter, my sub came out at -3 vs +8 with ARC! Bob says that's not a fair test until I get a test CD but just sayin.

bob
spongebob is offline  
post #5819 of 10152 Old 07-27-2018, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
spongebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: San Jose, Ca.
Posts: 3,745
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 77
And, BTW what is the difference between sub woofer level and LFE?

thx

bob
spongebob is offline  
post #5820 of 10152 Old 07-28-2018, 12:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 12,163
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3472 Post(s)
Liked: 2197
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
Doesn't the bass get boosted artificially with ARC off? I though the manual mentions that? When I ran the internal test tones with a meter, my sub came out at -3 vs +8 with ARC! Bob says that's not a fair test until I get a test CD but just sayin.
It is certainly possible that the bass level is increased when ARC is on, as everything above 60 Hz is boosted to hit the smooth curve.

The point in trying with ARC off is to best simulate the conditions of your previous setup (including subwoofer gain vs the mains) so as to determine why the sub is sounding peculiar now. If you can get back to the happy place you had before, that's a good starting point. Take note of the subwoofer level. Surely you have an old DVD with THX Optimizer tones on it? Look for the THX logo. That can be used to measure relative speaker levels (including sub).

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
And, BTW what is the difference between sub woofer level and LFE?
LFE is a bass channel delivered in a soundtrack. Noted as the ".1" in 5.1 or 7.1.

A subwoofer is typically the bass reproducer where LFE content is directed, along with bass redirected from the other channels.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off