Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 208 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13222Likes

post #6211 of 8309 Old 10-30-2018, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
@Kevin. W
I had the same situation with my old speakers - a couple of times. Never with new speakers.
The difference between them is sensitivity - Triangles were 92-93dB and Dynaudios are 88dB.

I haven't noticed any problems with calibrated sound.

Send an email to Anthem support - I'm also curious what does that mean.
Turns out since one or more of my speakers measured 98db at the mic, the software added gain so that all speakers measured the same at the mic. It doesn't effect performance.
Delija likes this.

LG OLED65B7P.
Denon X8500H
OPPO 203 4K
Paradigm Prestige 95F, 55C, 25S and Prestige 1000SW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6212 of 8309 Old 10-31-2018, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers

Quote:
Yes.

Limited to 300 Hz. Crossover for front speakers at 60 Hz.

After ARC calibration, I additionally fine tune level, phase and PEQs on subwoofers to get even better integration between fronts and subs and better FR in general.

BTW, I use the same settings/profile for both stereo and surround - crossover for center and surrounds at 80 Hz.

Fronts + subs:

Thanks!

Let me provide a little more info. I’ll be connecting my new Focal Aria 906 speakers to the zone 2 speaker connections and running all 2 channel audio through zone 2. Is it possible to run ARC for only the zone 2 speakers (L/R/Sub) and not the HT speakers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
post #6213 of 8309 Old 10-31-2018, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does ARC determine the ideal EQ for treble, mids, bass etc?

Or is that for the owner to set to their preference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6214 of 8309 Old 10-31-2018, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan944 View Post
Does ARC determine the ideal EQ for treble, mids, bass etc?

Or is that for the owner to set to their preference?
ARC sets max EQ to 5000 by default. It's up to you to change it, if you like.

Just one more upgrade and things will be perfect.
post #6215 of 8309 Old 10-31-2018, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 285
@Tristan944
ARC automatically adjusts parameters of the "target curve" to follow the original FR of speakers and subwoofer and to fix room modes and flatten the FR.

I say "target curve" because with ARC there is no concept of real fully configurable target curve. You will need Dirac if you want it.
You can only tune bass range by adjusting room gain and high pass filter / min EQ frequency for subwoofer or high pass filter for full range speakers. Roll-off of treble is automatically detected and cannot be changed. For mids and treble you can only adjust max EQ and that's it - everything above 5 kHz is not recommended.

As I've already wrote, I use it only to 300 Hz just to fix room modes - ARC is great for this purpose. I want to keep dynamics and original sound signature of speakers as much as I can.

Also, there is a limited number of filters per speaker - with lower max EQ frequency the same number of filters is used for optimization of smaller range, so the optimization of that range is done better. This could be easily seen from Curve viewer by looking at the Equalization curve.

Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V

Last edited by Delija; 10-31-2018 at 01:02 PM.
post #6216 of 8309 Old 11-03-2018, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just purchased an MRX 720 and was hoping someone can point me to a setup page...I'm especially interested in where to set my crossovers for my sub/front speakers and Dolby Volume/Leveler. Fronts are Totem Tabu and Mite T Center (37/43Hz) with B&W ASW Sub. Also, with the room my HT is located the center channel has always been an issue....and what are your thoughts on room gain? Thanks so much....looking forward to the 720! Doug
post #6217 of 8309 Old 11-03-2018, 07:42 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5830 Post(s)
Liked: 8304
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyndoug View Post
Just purchased an MRX 720 and was hoping someone can point me to a setup page...I'm especially interested in where to set my crossovers for my sub/front speakers and Dolby Volume/Leveler. Fronts are Totem Tabu and Mite T Center (37/43Hz) with B&W ASW Sub. Also, with the room my HT is located the center channel has always been an issue....and what are your thoughts on room gain? Thanks so much....looking forward to the 720! Doug
Typical "good" values for Room Gain are in the range +2 to +4dB. ARC will attempt to detect and preserve the inherent Room Gain in your room, but can get fooled by excessive variations in the Measured responses. If ARC has picked a result in the range mentioned, you are probably good to go.

For the Crossovers, see what ARC picks for you and look for problems in the ARC charts. For some background on what makes for a good Crossover choice, see my Blog post here:

Choosing a Crossover Frequency

Generally I prefer to leave the Dolby Volume stuff turned Off.

--Bob
Bill-99 likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #6218 of 8309 Old 11-03-2018, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Bob Pariseau - Purchased a pair of bookshelf speakers for zone 2 2-channel listening, do I need to rerun ARC? The zone 2 speakers are in the same listening area as HT speakers. If not, how do I set my crossover for the new zone 2 speakers? Need to set the crossover at 50. Thanks!

post #6219 of 8309 Old 11-03-2018, 02:37 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
@Bob Pariseau - Purchased a pair of bookshelf speakers for zone 2 2-channel listening, do I need to rerun ARC? The zone 2 speakers are in the same listening area as HT speakers. If not, how do I set my crossover for the new zone 2 speakers? Need to set the crossover at 50. Thanks!

It’s been a while since I looked at the Zone 2 stuff for these units, but I don’t believe either ARC processing or even just basic Crossover processing applies to Zone 2. As I recall it is just unprocessed Stereo. All you have is Source selection and Volume control.
—Bob
BGLeduc likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #6220 of 8309 Old 11-03-2018, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Typical "good" values for Room Gain are in the range +2 to +4dB. ARC will attempt to detect and preserve the inherent Room Gain in your room, but can get fooled by excessive variations in the Measured responses. If ARC has picked a result in the range mentioned, you are probably good to go.

For the Crossovers, see what ARC picks for you and look for problems in the ARC charts. For some background on what makes for a good Crossover choice, see my Blog post here:

--Bob
Thanks Bob....quite an article on setting up the subs....will have to read it again prior to running ARC. Doug
post #6221 of 8309 Old 11-03-2018, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It’s been a while since I looked at the Zone 2 stuff for these units, but I don’t believe either ARC processing or even just basic Crossover processing applies to Zone 2. As I recall it is just unprocessed Stereo. All you have is Source selection and Volume control.

—Bob

Since the zone 2 speakers connect to back L/R, could I place them where they’re going to be located and then run ARC?

post #6222 of 8309 Old 11-04-2018, 08:11 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Since the zone 2 speakers connect to back L/R, could I place them where they’re going to be located and then run ARC?

I don't follow what you are trying to accomplish. If you are setting up a true Zone 2 (allowing separate Source selection to speakers at a separate physical location), I don't believe ARC processing will be available for that. So what's the point of trying to run an ARC pass on your Zone 2 speakers?

If your goal is simply to set up an alternate, Stereo speaker configuration for your normal listening room, you don't need to use Zone 2 to do that. Simply set up a separate Speaker Profile for 2.0 or 2.1 output (depending on whether you want the Sub included or not), and then set up an Input or set of Inputs for your Stereo listening which use that new Profile instead of your normal, multi-channel Profile. I.e., use THE SAME speakers, except for your Stereo music listening tell the Anthem to only use the Stereo subset of those. That way, you can have ARC for both multi-channel and stereo listening.
--Bob

post #6223 of 8309 Old 11-04-2018, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't follow what you are trying to accomplish. If you are setting up a true Zone 2 (allowing separate Source selection to speakers at a separate physical location), I don't believe ARC processing will be available for that. So what's the point of trying to run an ARC pass on your Zone 2 speakers?

If your goal is simply to set up an alternate, Stereo speaker configuration for your normal listening room, you don't need to use Zone 2 to do that. Simply set up a separate Speaker Profile for 2.0 or 2.1 output (depending on whether you want the Sub included or not), and then set up an Input or set of Inputs for your Stereo listening which use that new Profile instead of your normal, multi-channel Profile. I.e., use THE SAME speakers, except for your Stereo music listening tell the Anthem to only use the Stereo subset of those. That way, you can have ARC for both multi-channel and stereo listening.

--Bob
Good morning Bob, I would like to set up a separate stereo speaker configuration in my normal listening area using 2 different bookshelf speakers that are not included in my current HT ARC configuration. I would like to be able to use a turntable and my oppo to stream music to 2 Focal speakers with my SVS sub crossover at 50 Hz for a 2.1 configuration. Suggestions?

Last edited by mbroadus; 11-04-2018 at 09:50 AM.
post #6224 of 8309 Old 11-04-2018, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:

--Bob
Hey Bob,

Just wanted to comment that your blog on crossover selection is great. I'm pretty darned ignorant on this topic so this is good foundational material to read and ponder. Kudos and thanks.

Bill
Bob Pariseau likes this.

Just one more upgrade and things will be perfect.
post #6225 of 8309 Old 11-04-2018, 11:32 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ By the by, I just realized the link I was using in that Blog post to take you to the useful table of audio wavelengths was no longer valid, as the website hosting that table was updated to require secure linking.

I've just corrected the link in my Blog post, so that table is accessible again.
--Bob

post #6226 of 8309 Old 11-04-2018, 11:57 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Good morning Bob, I would like to set up a separate stereo speaker configuration in my normal listening area using 2 different bookshelf speakers that are not included in my current HT ARC configuration. I would like to be able to use a turntable and my oppo to stream music to 2 Focal speakers with my SVS sub crossover at 50 Hz for a 2.1 configuration. Suggestions?

If you use the Zone 2 stuff in your 720 you won't be able to get either ARC or Crossover processing for Zone 2. Zone 2 output is 2.0 channels only, and the only processing that happens is Volume control and down-mix of multi-channel sources to 2.0 channel output (if you have Zone 2 Follows Main enabled).

If you want ARC, or Crossover processing without ARC, for this additional set of speakers you will need to hit it with a bigger hammer -- to wit, add a Stereo speaker switch.

The switch would take the L/R speaker output of your 720 and send it either to your normal Home Theater front speakers or to the new pair of speakers you are trying to add. Meanwhile, the other speaker outputs would go directly to your normal speakers (including the Subwoofer) for EITHER use -- no need to switch those. Such switches can be found at places like Monoprice. You can likely even get one that's remote controllable, so you can select which speakers get the output of the 720 as part of doing the other remote control operations for switching between these two setups.

Now, having set that up, let's assume you use only Speaker Profile 1 at the moment -- for your Home Theater. You will continue to use Profile 1 that way, but now you will also set up Profile 2 for when you want to use the new speakers. Specify Profile 2 in ARC as having only L/R front speakers and the Subwoofer, i.e., a 2.1 configuration.

You do this in the setup panel that appears when you are configuring to begin an ARC Measurement pass. The other thing you MUST do is to set Profile 2 in that panel to *NOT* use the Measurements ARC takes for Profile 1. I.e., you want a separate set of mic positions Measured for each Profile in turn.

Start with the speaker switch set to use your normal Home Theater speakers. When you begin your ARC Measurements, ARC will tell you to position the mic in turn to the 5 positions for Profile 1, and will Measure your normal Home Theater speakers. Then it will continue, and tell you to set the mic for the first position for Profile 2. BEFORE starting that 2nd set of sweeps you must change your speaker switch so that the new speakers are used for Front L/R instead of your regular Home Theater speakers. Then say OK to begin mic position #1 for Profile 2, only the two new speakers and Sub will get sweep tones. Continue until the other mic positions are finished for Profile 2.

The result will be an ARC solution containing two Profiles. Profile 1 is for you normal Home Theater speaker setup, and Profile 2 is for your new setup with the two new speakers (and Sub). Those two Profiles are independent of each other -- they will each contain a solution appropriate for the speakers you had active during the respective mic position passes.

Tweak the Targets for those two Profiles to taste if you wish (they can be adjusted separately), then Calculate (which updates the solution for any Target changes you made), and Upload.

Now in the 720 you will have Profile 1 and 2 (or whatever different name you told ARC to assign to them).

Next set up Inputs in the 720 to use the two Profiles.

For example, you might set up an OPPO Input for movies with audio coming in on HDMI. That Input should be set to use your Speaker Profile 1.

Then you might add an OPPO input for music with Stereo content audio coming in on HDMI or on Stereo Analog or whatever. That Input should be set to use your Speaker Profile 2.

When you change between these Inputs you must also change the setting on your new speaker wires switch to match. The choice of with Profile to use has already been made by you in the Input definition, so that happens automatically.

Repeat for your other source devices.
--Bob

post #6227 of 8309 Old 11-04-2018, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Bob Pariseau - thank you so much for the detailed response. I’ll try the zone 2 option since most music rarely goes below 50 Hz but will keep your instructions handy in case I change my mind.

I’ve also thought of buying a separate stereo amp for 2 channel audio only.

Wish speaker selector switches accepted spades instead of bare wire.

Audioholics has writeup on how to use speaker selectors - https://www.audioholics.com/diy-audi...lti-room-audio

Thanks again Bob!

Last edited by mbroadus; 11-04-2018 at 01:25 PM.
post #6228 of 8309 Old 11-09-2018, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quick question, I didn’t see in the owners manual so I would like to clarify that the Anthem MRX-720 AVR accepts spade speaker connections? I saw bare wire and banana but didn’t see spade connectors mentioned. Thanks.

post #6229 of 8309 Old 11-09-2018, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Nope. No support for spades.
EU model doesn't even support banana plugs

Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V
post #6230 of 8309 Old 11-09-2018, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

What.... that’s crazy!

post #6231 of 8309 Old 11-09-2018, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Banana plugs have been banned for years in the EU. The dimensions of the pin are the same as a Schuko power socket, which Is standard across most of Europe. Some people (idiots) electrocuted themselves putting banana plugs in them, so they banned them. Most manufacturers only disable banana plug sockets on AV equipment with plastic caps that are easily prised off...

New Home Cinema: Sony VPL-VW760, Anthem MRX 1120, Q Acoustics 30x0 series speakers fronts, SVS Prime Elevation surround speakers, Proficient C791 Atmos, SVS PB2000 sub, Panasonic DMP-UB820, Apple TV, Pioneer CLD-D5V laserdisc, FetchTV, eeColor 3D LUT & Radiance XD-3D and ScreenTechnics CinemaSnap Hi Contrast 130" screen
post #6232 of 8309 Old 11-09-2018, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Plastic caps on EU model are all black (US model has black and red) and they don't appear to be removable.

Also, it is stated explicitly in the manual that banana plugs are not supported on EU model.

I've tried to remove caps without success. I didn't use too much force, though. I use external amp for front speakers, so I don't have problems with banana plugs on my Kimber 8TC cables. For center channel I've ordered Kimber 4TC with banana plugs on one side and bare wires on other. They work just fine.
post #6233 of 8309 Old 11-09-2018, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2651 Post(s)
Liked: 2518
Quote:
Originally Posted by vollans View Post
Banana plugs have been banned for years in the EU. The dimensions of the pin are the same as a Schuko power socket, which Is standard across most of Europe. Some people (idiots) electrocuted themselves putting banana plugs in them, so they banned them. Most manufacturers only disable banana plug sockets on AV equipment with plastic caps that are easily prised off...
Seems like an opportunity to raise the average IQ of the gene pool was lost. :-)
mbroadus, gdfein, Jonas2 and 1 others like this.
post #6234 of 8309 Old 11-09-2018, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Of course the EU take banana plugs as I use them. You just have to take the plastic inserts out.

AV Lexicon GX 7, Anthem MRX-720, Oppo 203, Panasonic UB420, Xbox one x, PS4 pro, TV LG 55C6, 65 C8,OLED. HD projector 106 Jvc X5000 X550, Sub Paradigm signature sub1, Speakers monitor audio platinum PL200 PLC150, Dali phantom ikon in wall & 4 phantom kompas 6m in ceiling speakers, 5.1.4 Atmos
post #6235 of 8309 Old 11-09-2018, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Can you take a picture of your Anthem?

I've seen two kinds - with all black plastic caps like mine and in some German reviews with red and black, like on US model.

Manual:
https://www.anthemav.com/downloads/a...ish-manual.pdf

Page 21/62 in PDF:
"US models allow banana connectors."

EDIT: You are right. I've just tried again to remove plastic caps and it wasn't easy but at the end I made it. My bad! Banana plugs do work.

LG OLED65C7V

Last edited by Delija; 11-09-2018 at 05:04 PM.
post #6236 of 8309 Old 11-13-2018, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Question Anthem MRX 720 & Xbox One X

Hello,

I have an Anthem MRX 720 as my AVR in my system. I just bought an Xbox to play games and watch Blu-rays. I'm having trouble getting Atmos to work using the Xbox's blu-ray player.

When in the Xbox's menu I can see "DOLBY ATMOS" displayed on my AVR. I popped in Roger Waters The Wall -- an Atmos-enabled Blu-Ray -- and my AVR displayed DOLBY TRUEHD while playing the movie.

I know Microsoft has been having issues with their Blu-Ray player and some AVRs. Does anyone have the same combination of components and gotten it to work?

Much appreciated.
post #6237 of 8309 Old 11-13-2018, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
So I may have already answered my own question. But if anyone can confirm that'd be great.

If you go into the Xbox's Settings -> Disc & Blu-Ray you can de-select "Let my receiver decode the audio" (or whatever the option is called). After I de-selected that option my AVR displays "DOLBY ATMOS" when I play the content.

My Atmos speakers should be arriving soon and I'll be able to test to see if it's actually working.

Very excited!
post #6238 of 8309 Old 11-15-2018, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So, I've got the 1120 after a Marantz 7005. Did the whole ARC and it seems good for movies and such. When playing a stereo CD, it feels like the sub/bass is WAY too low. No thump for the kick drum on heavy rock songs, very treble-heavy. no low end at all, in my opinion.

Hmmm...something I am doing "wrong"?
post #6239 of 8309 Old 11-15-2018, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by avdork View Post
So, I've got the 1120 after a Marantz 7005. Did the whole ARC and it seems good for movies and such. When playing a stereo CD, it feels like the sub/bass is WAY too low. No thump for the kick drum on heavy rock songs, very treble-heavy. no low end at all, in my opinion.

Hmmm...something I am doing "wrong"?
You could press level on the remote and increase the bass for the sub(but you'll have to decrease it when you're done listeing to CDs or it will always be increased for everything. Or you could setup a separate profile for music and assign that profile to your CD input on the MRX. Then go into the level calibration screen for that profile and increase the sub. Then every time you switch to your CD input it will use the new profile with the sub increased but it also will leave all your other profile input combinations alone and not increase the sub on those.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #6240 of 8309 Old 11-15-2018, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

@avdork
What speakers and subwoofer(s) are you using?
Could you attach your ARC measurements and target settings?

Last edited by Delija; 11-15-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page