Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 209 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13225Likes

post #6241 of 8335 Old 11-15-2018, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Full Range / 2.0
Question : Before running a measurement should I set one profile will all speakers deselected except the fronts?? Or, can I just use the menu in the AVR and select the sub off in that particular speaker profile?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6242 of 8335 Old 11-15-2018, 02:23 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5835 Post(s)
Liked: 8319
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevyh View Post
Full Range / 2.0
Question : Before running a measurement should I set one profile will all speakers deselected except the fronts?? Or, can I just use the menu in the AVR and select the sub off in that particular speaker profile?
If you want to run a 2.0 speaker output configuration, you should set it up as a Profile in ARC when you are building the set of ARC solutions -- NOT by making changes in the AVR after uploading the ARC solution.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #6243 of 8335 Old 11-15-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
If you want to run a 2.0 speaker output configuration, you should set it up as a Profile in ARC when you are building the set of ARC solutions -- NOT by making changes in the AVR after uploading the ARC solution.
--Bob
Thanks Bob. That's what I suspected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6244 of 8335 Old 11-15-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
--Bob
Ok, so I did that and re-ran ARC and I gotta say, my RF 7 III's are really hopping now. What a difference! I was sceptical but I can see myself as a 2 channel music guy now.
post #6245 of 8335 Old 11-15-2018, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Congratulations. I never disappointed with my AVM60
Quote:
Ok, so I did that and re-ran ARC and I gotta say, my RF 7 III's are really hopping now. What a difference! I was sceptical but I can see myself as a 2 channel music guy now.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #6246 of 8335 Old 11-16-2018, 02:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
I use my Anthem as a two channel receiver. It works great, particularly for music.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #6247 of 8335 Old 11-16-2018, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Are we expecting an updated product line in 2019 from Anthem? I believe 2019 will be 3 years since the current line debuted.
post #6248 of 8335 Old 11-16-2018, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
Are we expecting an updated product line in 2019 from Anthem? I believe 2019 will be 3 years since the current line debuted.

Only Anthem knows...... Or so I'm guessing.....

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #6249 of 8335 Old 11-16-2018, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Question on LFE channel processing...

I've read that the LFE channel (the ".1") can contain frequencies up to 120Hz, and for this reason one should leave the "subwoofer lpf for lfe" setting in the Bass Management menu set to 120Hz.

But what happens if ARC selects a subwoofer cutoff target of, say, 80Hz? Are frequencies from 80 to 120 Hz filtered out? Or does Anthem Room Correction not apply to the LFE channel?

In a related question, on the Target Customization menu, should the "subwoofer" crossover frequency always be greater than "fronts" crossover? If it isn't, doesn't that create a "hole", meaning that some of the frequencies that are redirected from the fronts to the sub will be filtered out?
post #6250 of 8335 Old 11-16-2018, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 2977 Post(s)
Liked: 1743
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkuster View Post
In a related question, on the Target Customization menu, should the "subwoofer" crossover frequency always be greater than "fronts" crossover? If it isn't, doesn't that create a "hole", meaning that some of the frequencies that are redirected from the fronts to the sub will be filtered out?
The target menu has no access to a subwoofer crossover frequency. Those are automatically set to the complement of the high-pass filters, which can be user adjusted.

Quote:
Or does Anthem Room Correction not apply to the LFE channel?
ARC applies to signals feeding speakers. If the LFE goes to the subwoofer, the subwoofer settings affect LFE.

Quote:
But what happens if ARC selects a subwoofer cutoff target of, say, 80Hz? Are frequencies from 80 to 120 Hz filtered out?
That would be my understanding.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #6251 of 8335 Old 11-16-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
The target menu has no access to a subwoofer crossover frequency. Those are automatically set to the complement of the high-pass filters, which can be user adjusted.

ARC applies to signals feeding speakers. If the LFE goes to the subwoofer, the subwoofer settings affect LFE.

That would be my understanding.
If the target menu in ARC has no access to a subwoofer crossover frequency, then what exactly is the sub frequency setting in the targets menu?

I thought it was a low pass filter cutoff???
post #6252 of 8335 Old 11-16-2018, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2652 Post(s)
Liked: 2521
Quote:
If the target menu in ARC has no access to a subwoofer crossover frequency, then what exactly is the sub frequency setting in the targets menu?

I thought it was a low pass filter cutoff???
It sets the max EQ frequency for the sub output, which includes redirected bass along with the .1 channel.

The .1 LPF is in the Bass Management menu. It defaults to 120 and AFAIK, only affects the .1 channel, not the redirected bass from the mains.
post #6253 of 8335 Old 11-16-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
[the sub frequency setting in the targets menu] sets the max EQ frequency for the sub output, which includes redirected bass along with the .1 channel.

The .1 LPF is in the Bass Management menu. It defaults to 120 and AFAIK, only affects the .1 channel, not the redirected bass from the mains.
I think there is only one place in the entire Targets menu that affects the upper bandwidth limit of the Subwoofer -- the sub frequency setting in the targets menu.

If I set it to a low cutoff, like 50 Hz, then run calculate, ARC shows the subwoofer response being duly rolled off at 50 Hz. In my mind, that means the LFE channel would be rolled off, too.

Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
post #6254 of 8335 Old 11-16-2018, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think there is only one place in the entire Targets menu that affects the upper bandwidth limit of the Subwoofer -- the sub frequency setting in the targets menu.

If I set it to a low cutoff, like 50 Hz, then run calculate, ARC shows the subwoofer response being duly rolled off at 50 Hz. In my mind, that means the LFE channel would be rolled off, too.
Well, then, allow me to join you in confusion. :-)

I have always left it where ARC has calculated.
Roger Dressler likes this.
post #6255 of 8335 Old 11-16-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
It sets the max EQ frequency for the sub output, which includes redirected bass along with the .1 channel.

I think it does more than set the max EQ frequency. The target curve (black line in ARC graph) rolls off at the selected subwoofer frequency. So my question remains - If ARC rolls the sub off at the selected frequency in the targets menu, then how does that relate to the target frequency for the fronts, and how does it relate to the "subwoofer LPF for LFE" setting in the bass management menu?

It seems to me that one should select 120 Hz for the subwoofer frequency in the ARC "targets menu" no matter what.

Am I wrong??
post #6256 of 8335 Old 11-16-2018, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here ia what Dr. Rich says in his Secrets article.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/technica...-optimization/

“One thing that confuses people is the equalization cutoff of the subwoofer is often 120 Hz when Autodetect is selected. This only applies to the LFE channel. The other equalization cutoffs, above the subwoofer in the target panel, are the value that the subwoofer will start to become active. If one of those channels sends the subwoofer content, it will be just below that channel’s crossover frequency.”

That suggests that the limit in the Target Panel is the same as what is shown in the BM menu, but that does not seem right.
post #6257 of 8335 Old 11-16-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Here is what Dr. Rich says in his Secrets article.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/technica...-optimization/

Dr. Rich: “One thing that confuses people is the equalization cutoff of the subwoofer is often 120 Hz when Autodetect is selected. This only applies to the LFE channel."
Hold that thought.
Quote:
Dr. Rich: "The other equalization cutoffs, above the subwoofer in the target panel, are the value that the subwoofer will start to become active. If one of those channels sends the subwoofer content, it will be just below that channel’s crossover frequency.”
Correct.

I think the good Dr. Rich is assuming that the speaker crossovers would always be lower than the subwoofer bandwidth. Indeed that is normal, typical, and highly recommended, because if one were to manually limit the subwoofer to a frequency lower than the speaker crossovers, there would be a hole in the response. (Before room EQ, some folks have parked just such a "hole" at the room's resonant frequency to mitigate the bass boom.)

If one confines the subwoofer EQ adjustments to, say, 100-120 Hz, while the speaker crossovers are 80 Hz or less, then in effect the subwoofer low-pass filter is only affecting LFE, as that is the only source of bass >100 Hz. So he is correct in that sense. Just not for all possible settings of the frequency limit.

IMHO
BGLeduc likes this.

post #6258 of 8335 Old 11-17-2018, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hold that thought.
Correct.

I think the good Dr. Rich is assuming that the speaker crossovers would always be lower than the subwoofer bandwidth. Indeed that is normal, typical, and highly recommended, because if one were to manually limit the subwoofer to a frequency lower than the speaker crossovers, there would be a hole in the response. (Before room EQ, some folks have parked just such a "hole" at the room's resonant frequency to mitigate the bass boom.)

If one confines the subwoofer EQ adjustments to, say, 100-120 Hz, while the speaker crossovers are 80 Hz or less, then in effect the subwoofer low-pass filter is only affecting LFE, as that is the only source of bass >100 Hz. So he is correct in that sense. Just not for all possible settings of the frequency limit.

IMHO
OK, that all makes perfect sense.

I would note that in my room ARC computes a Subwoofer LPF of 200 rather than the 120 that Dr. Rich said is typical. It appear that ARC selects that value based on the measured in room response of the sub. There should be no content up that high, as the .1 channel is limited to 120 regardless of the LPF, right?

I am still curious if the LPF that is in the BM menu remains in play when you load an ARC profile. While the crossovers shown in the BM menu reflect that settings from ARC, the LPF does not. Is it in series with the ARC computed LPF or is it only used when an ARC profile is not used?
post #6259 of 8335 Old 11-17-2018, 05:24 AM
Read the FAQ!

My understanding is that ARC implements a more sophisticated form of the pre-ARC, “LFE Bypass” setting from the D2v, which allows LFE content to go around the Sub’s low pass filter. That would mean the response chart for the Sub does not apply to the high end of LFE.

(It DOES apply to steered bass, and if you set the Sub cutoff too low you will indeed introduce a hole in the steered bass coverage.)

Testing the LFE response should be easy enough if you set the Sub Cutoff in ARC to something ridiculously low and check with an LFE range tone from a calibration disc.
—Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #6260 of 8335 Old 11-17-2018, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My understanding is that ARC implements a more sophisticated form of the pre-ARC, “LFE Bypass” setting from the D2v, which allows LFE content to go around the Sub’s low pass filter. That would mean the response chart for the Sub does not apply to the high end of LFE.

(It DOES apply to steered bass, and if you set the Sub cutoff too low you will indeed introduce a hole in the steered bass coverage.)

Testing the LFE response should be easy enough if you set the Sub Cutoff in ARC to something ridiculously low and check with an LFE range tone from a calibration disc.
—Bob
Dang it Bob, just when I thought I was making progress here. :-)
post #6261 of 8335 Old 11-17-2018, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Hold that thought.
Correct.

IMHO
But if the subwoofer cutoff in the targets menu only applies to the LFE, then what is the purpose of the "subwoofer LPF for LFE" entry in the bass management setup menu?

They do not appear to be the same thing, because I can set "subwoofer LPF for LFE" to 120 Hz, do an ARC run and have subwoofer cutoff be autodetected as 80 Hz, and when I upload the configuration to my AVM60 "subwoofer LPF for LFE" is still its original value (120 Hz).

My totally baseless theory is that the only processing applied to the LFE channel is simple low-pass filtering at the "subwoofer LPF for LFE" frequency. No ARC room correction is done on LFE content.

Just a guess, and I'm probably wrong
post #6262 of 8335 Old 11-17-2018, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But if the subwoofer cutoff in the targets menu only applies to the LFE, then what is the purpose of the "subwoofer LPF for LFE" entry in the bass management setup menu?

They do not appear to be the same thing, because I can set "subwoofer LPF for LFE" to 120 Hz, do an ARC run and have subwoofer cutoff be autodetected as 80 Hz, and when I upload the configuration to my AVM60 "subwoofer LPF for LFE" is still its original value (120 Hz).

My totally baseless theory is that the only processing applied to the LFE channel is simple low-pass filtering at the "subwoofer LPF for LFE" frequency. No ARC room correction is done on LFE content.

Just a guess, and I'm probably wrong
I hope you are wrong about that. :-) Not EQ’ing the .1 channel would be a serious shortcoming of ARC.
post #6263 of 8335 Old 11-17-2018, 06:59 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ My understanding is that the Sub Low Pass Filter setting found in the Anthem menus AFTER you do your ARC Upload is derived from the Measurements ARC took for the Sub -- EXCEPT that if you raise the Sub Cutoff in ARC Targets, then ARC will increase that Low Pass setting as needed to try to accommodate your ARC Target choice.

That is, if your Sub is not capable of high bass (as Measured), you will get a lower Low Pass Filter set by default. But if you push the Sub Cutoff up in ARC Targets, ARC will do its best to build a solution which works with a new, higher Low Pass Filter setting.

(I.e., the Sub Cutoff setting in ARC Targets and the Sub Low Pass Filter setting in the Anthem menus are two different things, but changing the Cutoff MAY result in a change to the Low Pass Filter result.)

ARC corrects the Sub up to the the Sub Cutoff frequency. That implies, if you set the Cutoff ridiculously low, the high frequency end of LFE will not be producing corrected Sub output.

For LFE, the upper end of bass is trimmed by the Sub Low Pass Filter (the value found in the Anthem menus after you Upload your ARC). If your Sub only Measures as good up to 80 Hz, you will likely get a Sub Low Pass Filter of 80 Hz, and thus lose some of the high end of LFE. But the Sub couldn't reproduce that bass above 80Hz ANYWAY. If you set the Sub Cutoff in ARC Targets to 120Hz, ARC will RAISE the Low Pass Filter to 120Hz as well and try its best to get that extra high bass energy through the Sub. How much luck it has with that depends on just how competent the Sub really is above 80 Hz (in this example).

Meanwhile, for steered bass from the main speakers, ARC rolls off the Sub output above the Cutoff frequency, since that output is no longer being corrected. If the Crossover for a main speaker is too high, that means that bass steered from that main speaker may not be reproduced adequately by the Sub -- i.e., you have a "hole" in the bass management.

If the Sub Cutoff is high, there is no problem (assuming the Sub is actually capable of working that high). ARC adjusts the blend so that the bass being steered from the main speakers is reproduced in the Sub. Frequencies above the Crossover for the main speaker are not being sent to the Sub so there is no issue up there.

-------------------------

The upshot is that if you have speakers capable of going very low and a Sub capable of going very high, there is no problem -- and in fact it is likely beneficial for LFE -- to set the Sub Cutoff high, even though you want to use lower Crossovers for the mains.
--Bob

post #6264 of 8335 Old 11-17-2018, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^ My understanding is that the Sub Low Pass Filter setting found in the Anthem menus AFTER you do your ARC Upload is derived from the Measurements ARC took for the Sub -- EXCEPT that if you raise the Sub Cutoff in ARC Targets, then ARC will increase that Low Pass setting as needed to try to accommodate your ARC Target choice.

That is, if your Sub is not capable of high bass (as Measured), you will get a lower Low Pass Filter set by default. But if you push the Sub Cutoff up in ARC Targets, ARC will do its best to build a solution which works with a new, higher Low Pass Filter setting.

(I.e., the Sub Cutoff setting in ARC Targets and the Sub Low Pass Filter setting in the Anthem menus are two different things, but changing the Cutoff MAY result in a change to the Low Pass Filter result.)

ARC corrects the Sub up to the the Sub Cutoff frequency. That implies, if you set the Cutoff ridiculously low, the high frequency end of LFE will not be producing corrected Sub output.

For LFE, the upper end of bass is trimmed by the Sub Low Pass Filter (the value found in the Anthem menus after you Upload your ARC). If your Sub only Measures as good up to 80 Hz, you will likely get a Sub Low Pass Filter of 80 Hz, and thus lose some of the high end of LFE. But the Sub couldn't reproduce that bass above 80Hz ANYWAY. If you set the Sub Cutoff in ARC Targets to 120Hz, ARC will RAISE the Low Pass Filter to 120Hz as well and try its best to get that extra high bass energy through the Sub. How much luck it has with that depends on just how competent the Sub really is above 80 Hz (in this example).

Meanwhile, for steered bass from the main speakers, ARC rolls off the Sub output above the Cutoff frequency, since that output is no longer being corrected. If the Crossover for a main speaker is too high, that means that bass steered from that main speaker may not be reproduced adequately by the Sub -- i.e., you have a "hole" in the bass management.

If the Sub Cutoff is high, there is no problem (assuming the Sub is actually capable of working that high). ARC adjusts the blend so that the bass being steered from the main speakers is reproduced in the Sub. Frequencies above the Crossover for the main speaker are not being sent to the Sub so there is no issue up there.

-------------------------

The upshot is that if you have speakers capable of going very low and a Sub capable of going very high, there is no problem -- and in fact it is likely beneficial for LFE -- to set the Sub Cutoff high, even though you want to use lower Crossovers for the mains.
--Bob
One observation I will share which may be inconsistent with one part of the above is that in my rig, ARC computes a 200Hz cut of in Targets, which is consistent with the measured response of the sub. The post EQ plot shows the calculated response matches that roll off perfectly.

The LPF in the BM from the menus has only ever been 120.
post #6265 of 8335 Old 11-17-2018, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Help! trying to troubleshoot-
I use my ps4 for blu ray, and never had a issue until recently. I tried watching the new Jurassic park, which has DTS:x. Again, i've watched movies in the past with dts:x and didnt have an issue until this one-
with the ps4 set to bitstream, my mrx 720 did not register a signal (it did when for a dolby dig track, but not for the main dts x track).
I was only able to get a audio signal during the movie when I toggled the setting to Linear PCM. Which I know was not the DTS:x feed.

I reset the ps4 and reset the MRX (unplug for 15 sec...). Nothing. I put in a disc with Dolby Atmos, and that worked fine.

Is there a new format that isn't supported by MRX? I hope not, since we paid a lot for these and thought they decoded everything.
Is there a problem with the PS4? I updated it to the 6.02 from October.

Kinda frustrated over here...

Anthem mrx-720, Sunfire Cinema Grand 400-7, GoldenEar Aon 3 L-R, GoldenEar SuperSat3 Surround, Paradigm Millenia 20 Center, Intimus L6-IC Height, SVS PB-1000 sub, atmos 5.1.4
post #6266 of 8335 Old 11-17-2018, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrspin11 View Post
Help! trying to troubleshoot-
I use my ps4 for blu ray, and never had a issue until recently. I tried watching the new Jurassic park, which has DTS:x. Again, i've watched movies in the past with dts:x and didnt have an issue until this one-
with the ps4 set to bitstream, my mrx 720 did not register a signal (it did when for a dolby dig track, but not for the main dts x track).
I was only able to get a audio signal during the movie when I toggled the setting to Linear PCM. Which I know was not the DTS:x feed.

I reset the ps4 and reset the MRX (unplug for 15 sec...). Nothing. I put in a disc with Dolby Atmos, and that worked fine.

Is there a new format that isn't supported by MRX? I hope not, since we paid a lot for these and thought they decoded everything.
Is there a problem with the PS4? I updated it to the 6.02 from October.

Kinda frustrated over here...
First make sure your MRX is running the latest firmware. The DTS:X update was applied in a firmware released on December 14, 2016. The second thing to check is the PS4.

Problem with the PS4 is in the "Audio output settings" you have three options: LPCM, Bitstream(Dolby) or Bitstream(DTS).

If you choose LPCM, Atmos and DTS:X won't work because they must be decoded in the receiver and LPCM decodes in the player.

If you choose Bitstream(Dolby) or Bitstream(DTS) one will work and be decoded in the receiver but the other one won't work because you are locked into the one you chose and would have to go into the ps4 settings and change it to the other one all the time and keep changing it from DTS and Dolby depending on the movie.

The trick to get the PS4 to automatically detect and send DTS:X and Atoms to the receiver is set the ps4 to LPCM in "Audio output settings". Then make sure a movie is playing(past the trailers make sure the movie has started). Then bring up the ps4 "options" menu and go to "settings" and then change the Audio from LPCM to Bitstream(Direct). Once you change it this way it will stay this way for all movies and will automatically detect and send Atmos and DTS:X for all movies to the receiver.

Not sure why they made the ps4 so that you have to set it up like this but if you do it once you're good for all movies after that. BTW also make sure you set Dynamic compression in the ps4 to off. otherwise it will limit movie dynamics like bass and certain frequencies.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread

Last edited by Legairre; 11-17-2018 at 10:58 AM.
post #6267 of 8335 Old 11-17-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I would note that in my room ARC computes a Subwoofer LPF of 200 rather than the 120 that Dr. Rich said is typical. It appear that ARC selects that value based on the measured in room response of the sub. There should be no content up that high, as the .1 channel is limited to 120 regardless of the LPF, right?
True, there should be no content up that high, but I have found cases with LFE content >700 Hz. It was an obvious error -- forgot to apply the LPF to the LFE content.

Just as THX tells us to totally bypass any LPF inside a powered subwoofer (when possible), the 200 Hz setting gets the ARC LPF out of the way so that the 120 Hz bandwidth of the LFE channel can pass with minimal alteration.

Quote:
I am still curious if the LPF that is in the BM menu remains in play when you load an ARC profile. While the crossovers shown in the BM menu reflect that settings from ARC, the LPF does not. Is it in series with the ARC computed LPF or is it only used when an ARC profile is not used?
In my AVM60, the LPF for LFE in the speaker setup menu shows the same 120 Hz value as in the ARC program. Might just be a coinkydinky. In any case, I believe these filters are in series, and are both used all the time unless you manually set the AVM60’s filter to Bypass. More on that below.

Quote:
I did not say the Sub cutoff only applies to LFE. It is only touching LFE if the filter is set >100 Hz and the speaker crossovers are <80 Hz. Based on the presented curve after calculation, it clearly applies to the redirected bass if one pulls it down low enough, like 50 Hz. There is some question as to whether this filter applies to LFE at all. I suspect it does, but have not done that test.

In most DSP chips, there is a LPF for the LFE channel, which is separate from any EQ filters applied. That makes sense, as the filter in the ARC program is not labeled as an LFE filter – it is a subwoofer EQ filter.

And in the AVM60 we also have the option for Bypass of this LFE filter. That is further indication that this is a separate filter from the one ARC uploads, as bypassing it does not kill the subwoofer EQ.

Quote:
Yes. These are different functions, so can have different settings.

Quote:
I don't know much about ARC, but I am quite certain that ARC is applied to the LFE audio.

post #6268 of 8335 Old 11-17-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
First make sure your MRX is running the latest firmware. The DTS:X update was applied in a firmware released on December 14, 2016. The second thing to check is the PS4.

Problem with the PS4 is in the "Audio output settings" you have three options: LPCM, Bitstream(Dolby) or Bitstream(DTS).

If you choose LPCM, Atmos and DTS:X won't work because they must be decoded in the receiver and LPCM decodes in the player.

If you choose Bitstream(Dolby) or Bitstream(DTS) one will work and be decoded in the receiver but the other one won't work because you are locked into the one you chose and would have to go into the ps4 settings and change it to the other one all the time and keep changing it from DTS and Dolby depending on the movie.

The trick to get the PS4 to automatically detect and send DTS:X and Atoms to the receiver is set the ps4 to LPCM in "Audio output settings". Then make sure a movie is playing(past the trailers make sure the movie has started). Then bring up the ps4 "options" menu and go to "settings" and then change the Audio from LPCM to Bitstream(Direct). Once you change it this way it will stay this way for all movies and will automatically detect and send Atmos and DTS:X for all movies to the receiver.

Not sure why they made the ps4 so that you have to set it up like this but if you do it once you're good for all movies after that. BTW also make sure you set Dynamic compression in the ps4 to off. otherwise it will limit movie dynamics like bass and certain frequencies.
Thank you! Ill have to try the trick (main setup LPCM, then movie to Bitstream). I had everything set 'proper' and DTSx worked before (i do have the latest MRX firmware), but did not seem to want to work today. Going to also try and get some other dts:x discs for testing.

Anthem mrx-720, Sunfire Cinema Grand 400-7, GoldenEar Aon 3 L-R, GoldenEar SuperSat3 Surround, Paradigm Millenia 20 Center, Intimus L6-IC Height, SVS PB-1000 sub, atmos 5.1.4
post #6269 of 8335 Old 11-17-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Thank you! Ill have to try the trick (main setup LPCM, then movie to Bitstream). I had everything set 'proper' and DTSx worked before (i do have the latest MRX firmware), but did not seem to want to work today. Going to also try and get some other dts:x discs for testing.
Well, I tried the trick, didn't work. It must be something with ps4, because I tried another dts:x disc and nothing. But Atmos works. And dts master hd 7.1 works.

now, how to fix the ps4. ugh

post #6270 of 8335 Old 11-17-2018, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Well, I tried the trick, didn't work. It must be something with ps4, because I tried another dts:x disc and nothing. But Atmos works. And dts master hd 7.1 works.

now, how to fix the ps4. ugh
So you hit options on the ps4 remote when a movie was playing and set it to BitStream(Direct)? Have you also tried selecting DTS:X in the Blu-ray menu?

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page