Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 212 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13249Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6331 of 8407 Old 11-26-2018, 10:05 AM
Senior Member
 
vodil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SFO
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Lightbulb CEC-ARC Bleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
. I use ARC (audio return channel) and like the results but wow, it's a PITA to setup.

BTW I've tried the TOS Link cable route and it introduced audio delay (lip sync issues).
I have had so much trouble with getting ARC to work well that I gave up. I only need it for whatever smart features are on the TV and that usually means streaming. Rather than fight with the set-up and the glitches I just buy an external streaming device (ROKU, Fire Cube, etc.) and plug it in to the Anthem directly. For $100, which is small compared to price of TV or AVR, the problem is solved.

====
MRX1120, Oppo 203, LG & Samsung HDR, XboneS, Xfinity X1, Harmony
vodil is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6332 of 8407 Old 11-26-2018, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,753
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Cr View Post
Hello all. Is there a thread dedicated to Anthem Room Correction or the 10 series MRX receivers? If so would someone be so kind as to direct me to them? Having trouble setting up ARC on a 510. My search skills must be poor as I haven't been able to find anything. Thanks.

x10 owners thread
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...ing-guide.html

The ARC settings thread is for ARC2. I think the x10 series uses ARC2 just like the AVM 60 and MRX x20 series.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...-settings.html

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is offline  
post #6333 of 8407 Old 11-26-2018, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bill-99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,592
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by vodil View Post
I have had so much trouble with getting ARC to work well that I gave up. I only need it for whatever smart features are on the TV and that usually means streaming. Rather than fight with the set-up and the glitches I just buy an external streaming device (ROKU, Fire Cube, etc.) and plug it in to the Anthem directly. For $100, which is small compared to price of TV or AVR, the problem is solved.
Agreed, an external streamer is a good solution and likely works for most people for a small investment. No doubt about it, ARC can be a can of worms.

I use ARC for over-the-air broadcast TV which means only the TV has the audio, and if I want my gear to have sound, ARC is the solution (digital / optical cables can add lip synch issues). But it can get worse. Enabling ARC on Anthem gear means setting CEC = On. That led to my Anthem gear hearing spurious Roku CEC commands -- even with CEC Off on the Roku -- and that caused all kinds of random behavior. I wound up installing a separate CEC filter on the Roku to achieve predictable operational behaviour.

So, yeah, ARC / CEC aren't on my list of favorite features. It can work but wow, what a slog to get there!


Bill-99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6334 of 8407 Old 11-26-2018, 10:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,549
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2997 Post(s)
Liked: 1759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostility View Post
I was looking at that 2 days ago, just not sure what order to set it at? The highest order set the flattest, but again wasn’t to sure where to set it.
In my understanding, you want substantial attenuation at the port frequency to prevent excess excursion on the driver. So yes it needs to be a high order. Other than that, I cannot advise. Maybe other users of that sub design could help.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #6335 of 8407 Old 11-27-2018, 10:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Hostility's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Whitby, Ont, Canada
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostility View Post
I was looking at that 2 days ago, just not sure what order to set it at? The highest order set the flattest, but again wasn’t to sure where to set it.
In my understanding, you want substantial attenuation at the port frequency to prevent excess excursion on the driver. So yes it needs to be a high order. Other than that, I cannot advise. Maybe other users of that sub design could help.
I sent an email to anthem asking them. Also I don’t think arc can but when using the dual sub out does it eq subs differently or as one (like using a y splitter)
Hostility is offline  
post #6336 of 8407 Old 11-27-2018, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,549
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2997 Post(s)
Liked: 1759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostility View Post
I sent an email to anthem asking them.
Not sure Anthem will know what sort of filtering your sub requires...

Quote:
Also I don’t think arc can but when using the dual sub out does it eq subs differently or as one (like using a y splitter)
It's a Y splitter.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #6337 of 8407 Old 11-28-2018, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
04rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London, Canada
Posts: 1,050
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Hey guys, I am looking for some advice. I have tried to think of different ways to do a certain set up, but i can't think of a way to make it work so i thought i would try asking here.


I have a 720. I want to have a connection where i can have the TV on showing cable TV, while having an Apple TV stream audio from my phone. Originally I thought of having one of the inputs do HDMI video out from the cable, but then do the audio from one of the optical connections from the Apple TV, but I realized that the Apple TV does not have an optical connection, just HDMI. And as far as I know, you cannot use 2 different HDMI connections for 1 input.


Is there any other way to accomplish this without running another HDMI cable to the TV? Is there a way to utilize maybe zone 2? But I would assume I would need to connect the speakers to zone 2?


Any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated.


Thanks,
Dan

FAMILY ROOM - Totem Tribe II LCR, JL Audio E-112, Anthem MRX 720, Apple TV, WD HDTV, Panasonic 55" Plasma
BASEMENT THEATRE - Paradigm Studio 100 v5, 690 v5, 10x4 v5, Anthem AVM 60, Outlaw Audio 7700 & 7125, 2x JTR Captivator S2s, X-Box One X, Apple TV 4K, HTPC, JVC NX-5, 106" screen
04rex is offline  
post #6338 of 8407 Old 11-30-2018, 04:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Hostility's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Whitby, Ont, Canada
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anyone play with your room gain? Just curious how high you guys go with yours. I’ve felt mine has lacked in bass from how I had my mrx 300 setup. My 300 I used to put bass up by +2 or +4 and it helped out huge. With the 720 they changed how that works, so I just found out to play with room gain and I’ve changed mine to 4 and it made a big difference but curious if I should try it maxed at 6. My sub amp isn’t clipping yet and I’ve tested pacific rim at -15db and it was awesome.
Hostility is offline  
post #6339 of 8407 Old 11-30-2018, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BGLeduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 5,898
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2661 Post(s)
Liked: 2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostility View Post
Anyone play with your room gain? Just curious how high you guys go with yours. I’ve felt mine has lacked in bass from how I had my mrx 300 setup. My 300 I used to put bass up by +2 or +4 and it helped out huge. With the 720 they changed how that works, so I just found out to play with room gain and I’ve changed mine to 4 and it made a big difference but curious if I should try it maxed at 6. My sub amp isn’t clipping yet and I’ve tested pacific rim at -15db and it was awesome.
I prefer zero.

I didn’t like the way it sounded with the ARC calculated value of 3.0. Not sure if “boomy” is the right word but it was not to my liking.

If I feel bass is lacking, I nudge the sub or the bass level up a few clicks.
BGLeduc is online now  
post #6340 of 8407 Old 11-30-2018, 06:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Hostility's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Whitby, Ont, Canada
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostility View Post
Anyone play with your room gain? Just curious how high you guys go with yours. I’ve felt mine has lacked in bass from how I had my mrx 300 setup. My 300 I used to put bass up by +2 or +4 and it helped out huge. With the 720 they changed how that works, so I just found out to play with room gain and I’ve changed mine to 4 and it made a big difference but curious if I should try it maxed at 6. My sub amp isn’t clipping yet and I’ve tested pacific rim at -15db and it was awesome.
I prefer zero.

I didn’t like the way it sounded with the ARC calculated value of 3.0. Not sure if “boomy” is the right word but it was not to my liking.

If I feel bass is lacking, I nudge the sub or the bass level up a few clicks.
I tried that but still felt like it was lacking for my preference. So you actually went from 3 to 0 then?
Hostility is offline  
post #6341 of 8407 Old 11-30-2018, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BGLeduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 5,898
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2661 Post(s)
Liked: 2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostility View Post
I tried that but still felt like it was lacking for my preference. So you actually went from 3 to 0 then?
Yup.

But the good news is, you can tailor it to your liking. That’s the bottom line.
BGLeduc is online now  
post #6342 of 8407 Old 12-01-2018, 10:29 AM
Member
 
rpgonzalez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endaar View Post
Does anyone have Play-Fi working with Alexa on these units?

Play-Fi itself is working fine on my AVM60, and I can play content from either an iPhone or my Windows PC without issue. Alexa supposedly supports Play-Fi, and I can install the skill, however Alexa does not detect the AVM as a Play-Fi destination. Both devices are on the same network.

Anything stupid I'm missing?

Thanks!
Play-fi JUST updated my Anthem 720 last night, and the Alexa Skill now works. I ask her "Play Christmas music in my living room" and the Anthem turns on and starts playing music. The only part I dont like is that Alexa doesnt pause the music when using the wake word, and so you have to yell at her over the music. My wife got a kick out of watching me yell at her lol
.
As a side note, that update kept messing up. Does the Anthem go to sleep in the middle of the update, or does it reboot after the update? Either way, I came back to the Anthem being off and the update failed and I had a heck of a time unplugging and plugging in the Anthem/closing and opening the app to get everything back up again. Same thing happened on the update before this one, then Anthem was off after my update and it screwed up the wifi connection. Again, I had to cycle everything and redo my wifi credentials.
rpgonzalez is offline  
post #6343 of 8407 Old 12-01-2018, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BGLeduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 5,898
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2661 Post(s)
Liked: 2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgonzalez View Post
Play-fi JUST updated my Anthem 720 last night, and the Alexa Skill now works. I ask her "Play Christmas music in my living room" and the Anthem turns on and starts playing music. The only part I dont like is that Alexa doesnt pause the music when using the wake word, and so you have to yell at her over the music. My wife got a kick out of watching me yell at her lol
.
As a side note, that update kept messing up. Does the Anthem go to sleep in the middle of the update, or does it reboot after the update? Either way, I came back to the Anthem being off and the update failed and I had a heck of a time unplugging and plugging in the Anthem/closing and opening the app to get everything back up again. Same thing happened on the update before this one, then Anthem was off after my update and it screwed up the wifi connection. Again, I had to cycle everything and redo my wifi credentials.
I was unaware that PlayFi could automatically push an update down to the Anthem without user intervention.

I did see just now that there was a PlyFi app update available on my iPad. I loaded it, and when launching, it did say that there was an update available for my 720. I downloaded that to the Anthem (it was already on) and it completed without issue. No restart that I observed.

That’s pretty much the workflow I follow with every PlayFi update.
BGLeduc is online now  
post #6344 of 8407 Old 12-01-2018, 11:07 AM
Member
 
pedroalonso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I’m happy about the play-fi integration with Alexa too. I just wish it supported multi room play (grouping speakers), as I have some other play-fi supported Wi-Fi speakers around the house.
I also wish it supported Spotify. Right now even though I have Spotify set as my default for music playing in Alexa, alexa uses amazon music when I ask to play on my play fi supported equipment.

Hopefully both will be solved for in future updates.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pedroalonso is offline  
post #6345 of 8407 Old 12-01-2018, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,549
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2997 Post(s)
Liked: 1759
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgonzalez View Post
As a side note, that update kept messing up. Does the Anthem go to sleep in the middle of the update, or does it reboot after the update?
Not sure it it matters, but could try changing the Auto Off setting (General Config menu, p.31 of manual).

If the adjustment is Grayed Out, disable Standby IP Control, change auto shutoff as desired -- like Never , re-enable Standby IP Control.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #6346 of 8407 Old 12-01-2018, 11:57 AM
Member
 
terrspin11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgonzalez View Post
Play-fi JUST updated my Anthem 720 last night, and the Alexa Skill now works. I ask her "Play Christmas music in my living room" and the Anthem turns on and starts playing music. The only part I dont like is that Alexa doesnt pause the music when using the wake word, and so you have to yell at her over the music. My wife got a kick out of watching me yell at her lol
.
As a side note, that update kept messing up. Does the Anthem go to sleep in the middle of the update, or does it reboot after the update? Either way, I came back to the Anthem being off and the update failed and I had a heck of a time unplugging and plugging in the Anthem/closing and opening the app to get everything back up again. Same thing happened on the update before this one, then Anthem was off after my update and it screwed up the wifi connection. Again, I had to cycle everything and redo my wifi credentials.
great, about time!

Anthem mrx-720, Sunfire Cinema Grand 400-7, GoldenEar Aon 3 L-R, GoldenEar SuperSat3 Surround, Paradigm Millenia 20 Center, Intimus L6-IC Height, SVS PB-1000 sub, atmos 5.1.4
terrspin11 is offline  
post #6347 of 8407 Old 12-01-2018, 12:04 PM
Member
 
terrspin11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
Yup.

But the good news is, you can tailor it to your liking. That’s the bottom line.

this probably is dependent on room too. Arc measured mine at 3, which for movies and cable, i keep there. One thing to try, which was suggested to me when I brought up in the forums about 'lacking bass' was on the arc setting for your subwoofer, to extend that out to 250hz. That 'opened up' some of the oomph i felt it was lacking.
I did try a profile at room gain 0 to test the difference, and could tell right away.

Anthem mrx-720, Sunfire Cinema Grand 400-7, GoldenEar Aon 3 L-R, GoldenEar SuperSat3 Surround, Paradigm Millenia 20 Center, Intimus L6-IC Height, SVS PB-1000 sub, atmos 5.1.4
terrspin11 is offline  
post #6348 of 8407 Old 12-01-2018, 03:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Hostility's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Whitby, Ont, Canada
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrspin11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
Yup.

But the good news is, you can tailor it to your liking. That’s the bottom line.

this probably is dependent on room too. Arc measured mine at 3, which for movies and cable, i keep there. One thing to try, which was suggested to me when I brought up in the forums about 'lacking bass' was on the arc setting for your subwoofer, to extend that out to 250hz. That 'opened up' some of the oomph i felt it was lacking.
I did try a profile at room gain 0 to test the difference, and could tell right away.
Arc auto sets mine to 250hz. But when I go into it on the receiver it says 120hz. For
Me it was more bottom end oomph I felt was lacking. But room gain at 4 I can feel the bass in my couch again. Also I noticed when I change room gain on arc. It has my sub level at +2. Is that all room gain does is boost subwoofer level or it affects all channels
Hostility is offline  
post #6349 of 8407 Old 12-01-2018, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BGLeduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 5,898
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2661 Post(s)
Liked: 2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostility View Post
Arc auto sets mine to 250hz. But when I go into it on the receiver it says 120hz. For
Me it was more bottom end oomph I felt was lacking. But room gain at 4 I can feel the bass in my couch again. Also I noticed when I change room gain on arc. It has my sub level at +2. Is that all room gain does is boost subwoofer level or it affects all channels
It may have been in the AV60 thread, but in a recent round of discussion, it was shown that the LPF in the BM menu is just for the LFE channel and is separate from the LPF that is calculated by ARC.

Roger Dressler created a diagram showing how BM appears to work in. the Anthem.

Room gain boosts all channels. You can see it clearly when changing it in the Target panel. It also is said to affect the sub, but it is harder to see when looking at the curves.

Edit: Here is a link to that discussion.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post57157816
terrspin11 likes this.

Last edited by BGLeduc; 12-02-2018 at 08:13 AM.
BGLeduc is online now  
post #6350 of 8407 Old 12-02-2018, 02:11 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello guys.

I have a serious problem with mxr 1120.
Ethernet status not connected. All cables and network connections are ok.
I need to shutdown the receiver, unplug power cord, hold power button for some seconds and power on. Then ethernet works again...
i have final firmware 1.4.0.88

I own 1120 only 1 week!
Erectus is offline  
post #6351 of 8407 Old 12-02-2018, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
desray2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,140
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erectus View Post
Hello guys.



I have a serious problem with mxr 1120.

Ethernet status not connected. All cables and network connections are ok.

I need to shutdown the receiver, unplug power cord, hold power button for some seconds and power on. Then ethernet works again...

i have final firmware 1.4.0.88



I own 1120 only 1 week!


It’s been resolved right? Then there is really not an issue any more...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
desray2k is online now  
post #6352 of 8407 Old 12-02-2018, 04:32 PM
Senior Member
 
test4echo101's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Posts: 475
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Simple Question - ARC measure at ref or normal?

Hi All,

Should ARC be run at ref 0db or at what level you be listening to for the most part? (Averageing)

Particulalry the subwoofer.

I notice when running arc at ref 0db, the bass is great if i am listening at ref, but really lacking at normal volumes.

Mpray1983- "User error due to sneeze or fart occurred during measurement"
test4echo101 is offline  
post #6353 of 8407 Old 12-02-2018, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,714
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2838 Post(s)
Liked: 1811
Quote:
Originally Posted by test4echo101 View Post
Hi All,

Should ARC be run at ref 0db or at what level you be listening to for the most part? (Averageing)

Particulalry the subwoofer.

I notice when running arc at ref 0db, the bass is great if i am listening at ref, but really lacking at normal volumes.

Of course everyone's situation/preferences will be different, but I run ARC all the time. No matter what I'm listening to or at what level, it just sound better ON, but that is probably because my room is really sub-optimal, and benefits from the help that the EQ offers. Depending on the source, I'm listening usually no louder than -20dB (TV, levels seem really low from Comcast), up to -50dB for some streamed content that has much higher levels. Bluray - about -25dB before the wife is wracking the shotgun or the neighbors are getting antsy....but bass remains consistent across all volume ranges and is very "sturdy" at -25dB on Bluray..... FWIW.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #6354 of 8407 Old 12-02-2018, 06:18 PM
Senior Member
 
test4echo101's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Posts: 475
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Of course everyone's situation/preferences will be different, but I run ARC all the time. No matter what I'm listening to or at what level, it just sound better ON, but that is probably because my room is really sub-optimal, and benefits from the help that the EQ offers. Depending on the source, I'm listening usually no louder than -20dB (TV, levels seem really low from Comcast), up to -50dB for some streamed content that has much higher levels. Bluray - about -25dB before the wife is wracking the shotgun or the neighbors are getting antsy....but bass remains consistent across all volume ranges and is very "sturdy" at -25dB on Bluray..... FWIW.
Thanks for the Input Jonas2 , but thats not exactly what I'm asking.

What I am asking is:

Does ARC choose the reference DB for its setup?

Is it what I leave the AVR at ( let say -20DB) or does running ARC always set the test DB to certain volume?

Mpray1983- "User error due to sneeze or fart occurred during measurement"
test4echo101 is offline  
post #6355 of 8407 Old 12-02-2018, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,714
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2838 Post(s)
Liked: 1811
Quote:
Originally Posted by test4echo101 View Post
Thanks for the Input Jonas2 , but thats not exactly what I'm asking.

What I am asking is:

Does ARC choose the reference DB for its setup?

Is it what I leave the AVR at ( let say -20DB) or does running ARC always set the test DB to certain volume?

Ah, gotcha! ARC sets the (speaker) volume for the sweeps, yes. (At least my volume control on the AVM60 does nothing to affect the sweep volumes.) But your subwoofers can vary with their gain controls and ARC'll complain if the volumes are too low or too high. What I like to do on mine is turn the sub gains up and up and up to the point where ARC will complain they are too loud. Then I back them off bit by bit until I get to the max. volume ARC will accept from the sub. This seems to work pretty well, though as a personal preference, I'll set them 3dB higher than ARC does with the sub gains. I've done the opposite too, turn the volume on the subs too low, and then tick it up until ARC is happy with the volume, and even though ARC will set the trims accordingly, I've never been satisfied with the results doing it that way. I'd rather ARC lowered the trim on the sub rather than raise it. Is that more getting to where you are going?

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #6356 of 8407 Old 12-03-2018, 03:55 AM
Senior Member
 
test4echo101's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Posts: 475
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Ah, gotcha! ARC sets the (speaker) volume for the sweeps, yes. (At least my volume control on the AVM60 does nothing to affect the sweep volumes.) But your subwoofers can vary with their gain controls and ARC'll complain if the volumes are too low or too high. What I like to do on mine is turn the sub gains up and up and up to the point where ARC will complain they are too loud. Then I back them off bit by bit until I get to the max. volume ARC will accept from the sub. This seems to work pretty well, though as a personal preference, I'll set them 3dB higher than ARC does with the sub gains. I've done the opposite too, turn the volume on the subs too low, and then tick it up until ARC is happy with the volume, and even though ARC will set the trims accordingly, I've never been satisfied with the results doing it that way. I'd rather ARC lowered the trim on the sub rather than raise it. Is that more getting to where you are going?
Yep perfect!

I wasn't sure if ARC had a default Level for sweep tones apart from the master volume. I do the same as you for the Subs. I also find the sub levels a little low after running ARC but, I have found that depends on the volume im listening at or what I'm listening to, music or movies.
For music ARCS Sub levels seem perfect for the crossover integration.

Mpray1983- "User error due to sneeze or fart occurred during measurement"
test4echo101 is offline  
post #6357 of 8407 Old 12-08-2018, 07:47 PM
Member
 
Endaar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgonzalez View Post
Play-fi JUST updated my Anthem 720 last night, and the Alexa Skill now works. I ask her "Play Christmas music in my living room" and the Anthem turns on and starts playing music. The only part I dont like is that Alexa doesnt pause the music when using the wake word, and so you have to yell at her over the music. My wife got a kick out of watching me yell at her lol
.
As a side note, that update kept messing up. Does the Anthem go to sleep in the middle of the update, or does it reboot after the update? Either way, I came back to the Anthem being off and the update failed and I had a heck of a time unplugging and plugging in the Anthem/closing and opening the app to get everything back up again. Same thing happened on the update before this one, then Anthem was off after my update and it screwed up the wifi connection. Again, I had to cycle everything and redo my wifi credentials.
Appreciate you posting this. I updated everything and Play-Fi with Alexa worked. One time. Now it will only turn the Anthem on sometimes, and I never get any audio, even though Play-Fi says it's streaming. Very frustrating.
Endaar is offline  
post #6358 of 8407 Old 12-09-2018, 10:55 AM
Member
 
rpgonzalez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The anthem software is clearly written by like one person who has too much to do lol

Try unplugging the anthem and “rebooting it”. That solves most of my problems. Does the Play-Fi app on a phone or computer work? Maybe try that, and finally you can delete the Alexa skill and reinstall/repair.

Smart-home problems are so weird.
rpgonzalez is offline  
post #6359 of 8407 Old 12-09-2018, 11:33 PM
Member
 
rpgonzalez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endaar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgonzalez View Post
Play-fi JUST updated my Anthem 720 last night, and the Alexa Skill now works. I ask her "Play Christmas music in my living room" and the Anthem turns on and starts playing music. The only part I dont like is that Alexa doesnt pause the music when using the wake word, and so you have to yell at her over the music. My wife got a kick out of watching me yell at her lol
.
As a side note, that update kept messing up. Does the Anthem go to sleep in the middle of the update, or does it reboot after the update? Either way, I came back to the Anthem being off and the update failed and I had a heck of a time unplugging and plugging in the Anthem/closing and opening the app to get everything back up again. Same thing happened on the update before this one, then Anthem was off after my update and it screwed up the wifi connection. Again, I had to cycle everything and redo my wifi credentials.
Appreciate you posting this. I updated everything and Play-Fi with Alexa worked. One time. Now it will only turn the Anthem on sometimes, and I never get any audio, even though Play-Fi says it's streaming. Very frustrating.
Just bought a new echo and that screwed up my entire system. It was just like you said, it showed it was streaming, but no sound. My solution was to reset network settings on the anthem, and them start from scratch. I did not name my play-fi device as before (living room), I tried a different name (anthem). That way I would be able to tell if the amazon Alexa app was finding it or not.

Prior to that, I tried exactly what I advised you to do in my previous post to no avail. I even tried deleting the play-fi app, play-fi skill, and signing out of everything numerous times. It seems once the amthem “hangs on” to play-fi information it stays with it NO MATTER WHAT. The only way is a memory erase. Then, fired up the Play-Fi app, followed directions to connect to a new network, used play-fi to set it up, named it anthem, went back to Alexa, signed in and discovered devices and “anthem” showed up. Started playing after that

It seems as if the anthem does not respect the “sign-out” function.
rpgonzalez is offline  
post #6360 of 8407 Old 12-14-2018, 03:03 PM
Member
 
irwando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgonzalez View Post
Just bought a new echo and that screwed up my entire system. It was just like you said, it showed it was streaming, but no sound. My solution was to reset network settings on the anthem, and them start from scratch. I did not name my play-fi device as before (living room), I tried a different name (anthem). That way I would be able to tell if the amazon Alexa app was finding it or not.

Prior to that, I tried exactly what I advised you to do in my previous post to no avail. I even tried deleting the play-fi app, play-fi skill, and signing out of everything numerous times. It seems once the amthem “hangs on” to play-fi information it stays with it NO MATTER WHAT. The only way is a memory erase. Then, fired up the Play-Fi app, followed directions to connect to a new network, used play-fi to set it up, named it anthem, went back to Alexa, signed in and discovered devices and “anthem” showed up. Started playing after that

It seems as if the anthem does not respect the “sign-out” function.
Hi all,


Just hooked up a new MRX 720 last night! Ran my first ARC measurements (5 points along the couch) and watched a few demo scenes - everything seemed to be working well! I'm trying to make my way though the owners thread here but am hoping someone can answer a few questions to for me:


  • Power Cord -I was surprised to find a 2 prong cord with no ground and the seperate grounding screw. Any best practices here I should be aware of? Every other receiver I've owned had the 3 prong plug. I'm looking for a longer power cord and having trouble finding one with two prongs - guessing I can use a 3 prong without issue and the ground just won't hook to anything?
  • ARC - I see it goes up to 9 points. I did 5 points - one measure for each seating position on my couch. Is it also recommended to do some forward/behind the seating positions? Above/below? I looked for a general guide on where to take measurements but didn't find much.
  • ARC - I went with whatever the software came up with by itself but noticed that I could mark some speakers full range. My mains are Paradigm 85Fs which I typically input as Large / full range. Should I do that or leave it as ARC caluclated? Again, any documentation on best practices here?
  • Harmony Remote - Using a Harmony Remote to control everything. I'm noticing in many cases the receiver is getting double button taps. For example I tap volume up and it goes up two spots instead of one. Some other buttons are unusable because of this. has anyone used a Harmony remote with this unit?
Thanks in advance!
irwando is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off