Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 221 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13225Likes

post #6601 of 8333 Old 01-31-2019, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Swatdude1,
^ It looks like you did things well, but to double check I suggest you look at a post I made on page 10 of the 205 Owner's Thread in the Blu-ray Players forum here -- "Notes on Setting Up for Analog Audio Output".

The main thing to look at is whether you have established the correct "Subwoofer Boost" to match the level of the Sub out of the OPPO with its main speaker Analog outs.

If you are using your switch to change between direct connection of the OPPO Sub out to the Subwoofer vs. the connection of the Anthem Sub out to the Subwoofer, then you need to check this both ways. The Anthem will already provide +10dB of Sub Boost on its output, so if you don't take that into account you could end up with the Sub too hot when the switch is set to feed the Anthem to the Sub.

The usual approach to setting this up for both signal paths is to do the direct Analog connection first (Sub fed direct from OPPO). Establish the correct Sub Boost for that path using the volume knob on the Sub itself. With speakers set to Small in the OPPO you will need +15dB Sub Boost this way. But that detail is not important. When the mains and Sub produce the same SPL when playing test tones from a calibration track then you have the correct Sub Boost in place.

Next switch to using the path where the Anthem feeds the Sub -- for example when playing HDMI audio from the OPPO to the Anthem. With the volume knob already raised on the Sub to make the prior path work correctly, you likely have too much Sub at this point. To correct that you can use the "temporary" level controls in the Anthem -- not the ones in the Level Calibration portion of its Setup menu, but rather the ones you get to using the buttons on the Remote itself. Use the Subwoofer temporary level trim to LOWER the Sub output of the Anthem to compensate for the raised volume knob on the Sub, and achieve the correct Sub Boost.

This is now a set and forget setting, because when you switch back to using the direct connection from OPPO to Sub, the Sub output of the Anthem is not connected to anything, so the "temporary" level adjustment you just made will not matter.

The only gotcha is that the "temporary" settings in the Anthem are *NOT SAVED* when you save settings. So if you restore factory defaults and reload saved settings you will need to go back in and manually re-establish this "temporary" Sub output level setting in the Anthem.
--Bob

Thanks, Bob. My sub is actually on a fixed volume level and was calibrated for the Anthem correction software when watching movies and television. For the subwoofer output on analog, I spent hours tuning this by ear and actually wound up at zero gain from the Oppo being the best mix at Anthem volume 18. So basically if I turn the Anthem volume down on this input, the bass output doesn't change and is bloated and horrendous. If I leave it at 18 and use the Oppo for volume control, the sound is amazing at all listening levels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6602 of 8333 Old 01-31-2019, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
^Congrats on getting your analog path set up and working well. The 205 is a nice piece. Bet that sounds great!

My system includes an Oppo 203 and an AVM 60. I'd welcome your thoughts on this question.

The DAC in the 203 and the AVM 60 are the same, so I've been sending BitStream over HDMI out of the Oppo to the AVM 60 which does the conversion to analog. In general this has worked well but I've never tried the analog outs from the Oppo. Any thoughts on whether analog out from the 203 might provide any sound quality improvement? With the 205's superior DAC it seems like the way to go but on the 203, it doesn't seem like there would be any benefit though I've never tried it for comparison.

Thoughts?

The DACs in the Anthem are no slouches so it would depend on whether or not the Oppo's 203 ones are better and Oppo's implementation of them possibly superior. For ease of trying it out, I would just run the analog signal with your L/R speakers first without messing with the sub. See what your impressions are. It is fairly easy to do an A/B comparison albeit with some delay between inputs.
post #6603 of 8333 Old 01-31-2019, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swatdude1 View Post
The DACs in the Anthem are no slouches so it would depend on whether or not the Oppo's 203 ones are better and Oppo's implementation of them possibly superior. For ease of trying it out, I would just run the analog signal with your L/R speakers first without messing with the sub. See what your impressions are. It is fairly easy to do an A/B comparison albeit with some delay between inputs.
The AVM 60 and Oppo 203 both use the AKM AK4458NV DAC, but as you point out implementation could impact sq. In the spirit of always trying to eke out that list bit of performance, I'll have to try the analog outs. It appeals to my penchant for tweaking. Geez, now I have to find some analog cables. Haven't had any of those for a while!

These days I typically play music from a home theater PC. It has all of my music rips, all lossless. It sends BitStream to the AVM 60 out of JRiver software, and it works pretty well. In comparisons of HTPC audio quality to playback via the Oppo using CDs and memory sticks plugged into an Oppo USB port, it's unlikely that I could identify one source vs. the other in a double blind test. In case anyone was wondering, turning off the Oppo display panel and running in Oppo Pure Audio mode had no discernible audio impact.
Jonas2 likes this.

Just one more upgrade and things will be perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6604 of 8333 Old 01-31-2019, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I posted this in the AVM-60 thread but seems this thread gets a little more traffic so hoping you guys can help. I plan to use my AVM-60 in my media room using both a projector as well as my LED TV. First, is there any special settings I need to set to be able to switch between the 2 outputs of the AVM-60 and second, should I run output 1 to the TV and output 2 to the projector or use the outputs in the opposite direction? Sorry if I've made this complicated in advance.
post #6605 of 8333 Old 01-31-2019, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Are you using the audio return channel? That's only available on output 1.

BTW, just in case you missed it, you really, really do need to use only certified High Speed cables (manual page 10). They're cheap on Monoprice and work well. Older cables have caused a crazy amount of trouble for new users.

post #6606 of 8333 Old 01-31-2019, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
Are you using the audio return channel? That's only available on output 1.

BTW, just in case you missed it, you really, really do need to use only certified High Speed cables (manual page 10). They're cheap on Monoprice and work well. Older cables have caused a crazy amount of trouble for new users.

Guessing I would be using both outputs of the AVM-60, one to the TV and the other to the projector. As far as HDMI cables go, I did see that in the manual and all of my HDMI cables were purchased from Monoprice.
post #6607 of 8333 Old 01-31-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgrim74 View Post
Guessing I would be using both outputs of the AVM-60, one to the TV and the other to the projector. As far as HDMI cables go, I did see that in the manual and all of my HDMI cables were purchased from Monoprice.
Sorry, I wasn't particularly clear. Let me try again.

My use case isn't mainstream. I get broadcast TV stations over-the-air instead of cable or satellite. That meant a way was needed to get audio from the TV to the AVM 60. The HDMI audio return channel was leveraged for that. Unless you need that kind of capability, it seems like you out to be good to go. But I've also never tried to hook up 2 output devices simultaneously. Guessing there are people on this thread that will know for sure.

post #6608 of 8333 Old 02-01-2019, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Have you downloaded the Bluesound app?

You may want to ask Bluesound questions on their thread, I’m sure that’s where I’ll be most of the day.

Link - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...-streamer.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Success !! I’m up & running tonight, sounds great. I’m running a pair of ESS amt 1b’s, while using analog on the anthem can I also use my sub ??
post #6609 of 8333 Old 02-01-2019, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenbarnes1 View Post
Success !! I’m up & running tonight, sounds great. I’m running a pair of ESS amt 1b’s, while using analog on the anthem can I also use my sub ??

So...are you using direct mode on the Anthem to bypass processing? Are you using MQA?

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
post #6610 of 8333 Old 02-01-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
So...are you using direct mode on the Anthem to bypass processing? Are you using MQA?

I don’t know & I hope so !! I assume I’m using MQA, I’m getting the tidal masters come up on my playlist. Not sure how to set up direct mode ? Is it in the imput setup ? Thanks again for your help !
mbroadus likes this.
post #6611 of 8333 Old 02-01-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
I don’t know & I hope so !! I assume I’m using MQA, I’m getting the tidal masters come up on my playlist. Not sure how to set up direct mode ? Is it in the imput setup ? Thanks again for your help !
I do have process analog audio imput set to no.
mbroadus likes this.
post #6612 of 8333 Old 02-02-2019, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
^ You can test the projector run by first trying a new cable that’s not in the wall. HDMI is an end to end protocol, so you will need to update all the cables in the signal path before reaching a conclusion. If you have other items in the signal path, such as “wall plates” used to tidy up the ends of in-wall cabling, they too should be suspect. Test by bypassing those.

What you should be using are Premium Certified cables. These need not be expensive, although long runs can be tricky. For more info see my Blog post here:

HDMI “Premium Certified” Cables

—Bob
Thanks Bob. I believe you have solved my issue. Wasn’t sure if my 24’ in-wall hdmi cable was premium certified. Turns out it is. It’s a rocketfish I got at Best Buy. So I went out and bought similar rocketfish premium certified cables in 4’ length to connect my Blu-ray and Apple TV to my 720. Watched a full two-hour movie and didn’t get a single instance of the dreaded snow. What’s odd is that the cable I had before was the Belkin cable they recoed at the Apple store when I got the Apple TV 4K saying I needed it to get full Dolby Vision... It will teach me to believe a sales rep. At any rate, all seems good now. And happy I don’t have to fish a new hdmi cable to my projector!
post #6613 of 8333 Old 02-02-2019, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I do have process analog audio imput set to no.

Here’s how I have mine setup.

Bill-99 likes this.

post #6614 of 8333 Old 02-02-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Here’s how I have mine setup.

Yes, mine is the same. Are you using ( or able to ) use a subwoofer ? I just assume I’m not settling something up right.
post #6615 of 8333 Old 02-02-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, mine is the same. Are you using ( or able to ) use a subwoofer ? I just assume I’m not settling something up right.

I sold my sub a couple weeks ago so I’m subless right now.

Someone else will have to explain how to implement a sub. You may need ARC turned on to use a sub.

post #6616 of 8333 Old 02-02-2019, 09:24 AM

Ok, thanks !! Are you getting tidal on your tv when using node2i ? I had it using my oppo, nothing with the node. I just assume I’m not setting something up right.
post #6617 of 8333 Old 02-02-2019, 12:14 PM

Anyone familiar with the Mrx 1120 know if I can run my sub (SVS pb2000) while using analog ? My equipment is the1120, bluesound node2i, Oppo BDP 105. I’m stumped !!
post #6618 of 8333 Old 02-02-2019, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok, thanks !! Are you getting tidal on your tv when using node2i ? I had it using my oppo, nothing with the node. I just assume I’m not setting something up right.

No, I have video on the 720 set to off with the 2i. Yes, had it with the my oppo 205 too.

post #6619 of 8333 Old 02-03-2019, 05:56 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5835 Post(s)
Liked: 8318
Quote:
Analog Input on these units is Stereo (not multi-channel), so the only way you'll get output on the Subwoofer jack is by letting the Anthem do Crossover processing to steer bass from the Stereo input channels to the Sub.

But that's "processing". With Process Analog Input disabled, that can't happen. The Analog Input is never digitized for processing -- so no ARC, no Crossover -- nothing except Volume control. This is why the ARC line is marked as Not Available, for example.

If you turn on Process Analog Input, you can either use ARC to establish your Crossover processing, or you can turn ARC Off and establish it yourself, manually, in the Anthem. Either way, the Analog Input will be digitized, then processed, then converted BACK into Analog for output using the DACs in the Anthem.
--Bob
mbroadus and musiccitydude like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #6620 of 8333 Old 02-03-2019, 07:44 AM

Thanks for the info Bob, I’ll give it a try !!
post #6621 of 8333 Old 02-03-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2652 Post(s)
Liked: 2521
Quote:
If you turn on Process Analog Input, you can either use ARC to establish your Crossover processing, or you can turn ARC Off and establish it yourself, manually, in the Anthem. Either way, the Analog Input will be digitized, then processed, then converted BACK into Analog for output using the DACs in the Anthem.
--Bob
I have done some experimenting on this topic, and I am pretty sure that allowing the Anthem to process the analog input but turning ARC off still left the ARC calculated crossovers functional. I can revisit, but I am almost positive that this was the case. Or maybe that is what you are saying?
post #6622 of 8333 Old 02-03-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That’s what I thought and I have no desire to let the Anthem DAC do any processing. Glad I bought the floor standers.

post #6623 of 8333 Old 02-03-2019, 10:08 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
I have done some experimenting on this topic, and I am pretty sure that allowing the Anthem to process the analog input but turning ARC off still left the ARC calculated crossovers functional. I can revisit, but I am almost positive that this was the case. Or maybe that is what you are saying?
Sure. The ARC setup process Uploads Crossover values and speaker configuration values (which you can see) and room correction parameters (which you can't see).

Turning ARC Off simply means the room correction parameters are not applied. Whatever was Uploaded by ARC for the Crossover values and speaker configuration still apply. But you can change those Crossovers manually if you like -- same as you can change the speaker configuration -- without "breaking" the ARC solution, since the ARC solution is not in use.

For example, if you want to do a manual setup after running ARC, you will likely need to revisit the speaker levels ARC has Uploaded. ARC tries to apply the room correction parameters as "attenuation" whenever possible, and so the levels ARC Uploads may be set a bit high to allow that to work and still produce the real, desired output level.

So Process Analog Input NO means no processing -- neither ARC nor manual.

Process Analog Input YES with ARC ON means processing using your last Uploaded ARC solution.

Process Analog Input YES with ARC OFF means processing without use of the ARC room correction parameters. The processing will use whatever is currently in Setup for Crossover values and speaker configuration (including levels). Those may be values installed by your last ARC Upload, or values you've set manually if you've never run ARC. Either way, you can now tweak them manually as needed. If you make any such changes and then decide you'd rather return to using ARC, you should open up your last ARC results file on your computer and re-Upload that to the Anthem so all the settings are back to matching what ARC calculated.
--Bob
BGLeduc and mbroadus like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #6624 of 8333 Old 02-03-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers

@Bob Pariseau - thank you... I was curious after rereading your previous post.

Last edited by mbroadus; 02-03-2019 at 12:24 PM.
post #6625 of 8333 Old 02-03-2019, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
That’s what I thought and I have no desire to let the Anthem DAC do any processing. Glad I bought the floor standers.

Same here; no processing; Sonica DAC, or TT, Studio 100's...only for stereo listening. ARC for home theatre functioning....
mbroadus likes this.

Anthem MRX-720,Outlaw 7500 5ch amp, B&K ST 202 amp
Oppo BDP-103, Sony XBR-65X930D, Rotel RP-855, Phillips BDP-7501
Paradigm Studio 100 Fronts, Martin Logan Motion LX16 rears,Martin Logan Motion 2's
Paradigm Studio cc-590 Center, Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer, DefTech Supercube 4000
Roku Ultra, DIRECTV 4K Genie HR-54 DVR, C61K-700, OPPO Sonica DAC, Amazon Fire TV
post #6626 of 8333 Old 02-03-2019, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does YES to Process Analog Audio Input mean that the Anthem DAC will process the input or does the DAC only engage when the Audio Input is set to digital coax or optical?

post #6627 of 8333 Old 02-03-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacari View Post
Same here; no processing; Sonica DAC, or TT, Studio 100's...only for stereo listening. ARC for home theatre functioning....

Oppo Sonica DAC?

post #6628 of 8333 Old 02-03-2019, 01:54 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Does YES to Process Analog Audio Input mean that the Anthem DAC will process the input or does the DAC only engage when the Audio Input is set to digital coax or optical?

The DACs (Digital to Analog Converters) in the Anthem are used to produce the Analog audio output of the Anthem whenever the audio input is Digital and also whenever Processing is enabled for Analog audio input. Such Processing of Analog audio input requires the audio to be digitized first. It is still Digital after the Processing, and thus must be converted back to Analog for output. That’s the job of the DACs.
—Bob

post #6629 of 8333 Old 02-03-2019, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Oppo Sonica DAC?

Yes. Also use an Oppo 103; all my stuff is listed in my signature....

Anthem MRX-720,Outlaw 7500 5ch amp, B&K ST 202 amp
Oppo BDP-103, Sony XBR-65X930D, Rotel RP-855, Phillips BDP-7501
Paradigm Studio 100 Fronts, Martin Logan Motion LX16 rears,Martin Logan Motion 2's
Paradigm Studio cc-590 Center, Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer, DefTech Supercube 4000
Roku Ultra, DIRECTV 4K Genie HR-54 DVR, C61K-700, OPPO Sonica DAC, Amazon Fire TV
post #6630 of 8333 Old 02-03-2019, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The DACs (Digital to Analog Converters) in the Anthem are used to produce the Analog audio output of the Anthem whenever the audio input is Digital and also whenever Processing is enabled for Analog audio input. Such Processing of Analog audio input requires the audio to be digitized first. It is still Digital after the Processing, and thus must be converted back to Analog for output. That’s the job of the DACs.

—Bob

Thanks Bob...wasn’t sure whether Anthem processed the analog input too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page