Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 224 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13213Likes

post #6691 of 8267 Old 02-07-2019, 10:43 AM
WLC

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Thanks Eyecatcher127

All the subs are at different phases. Before Anthem, used radio shack sound meter and was always happy with the sound floating in the air. With ARC, only way to achieve same result is to raise back and surrounds by +4 post calibration.
Went from 2 ported to 4 sealed after one of the ported failed. With the ported, which Lexicon allowed me to play as stereo, you always knew when the subs were active. My wife would often exclaim, "listen to that bass." With the sealed, you only know they are active if you think about the which notes are being played. Otherwise the integration is seamless. Now, my wife just says, "isn't that beautiful." i. e. the opening credits of Poldark
I am positive that none of my speakers are anywhere near clipping. The reason I run ARC with subs at 85.7 is to achieve -8 for them post calibration. They are all crossed at 80 in Anthem and I have set the subs to 80/24db. Also limited LFE in Anthem to 80. This, as you probably know, is for the adjustment known as cascading crossovers.
I am now so happy with the sound that I have read with trepidation the coming new version of ARC. Although I have experience with adjusting targets with Dirac in my stereo system, I am just so relieved to be done with months of tweaking, that I would like to be done. However, I'll probably succumb.
By the way, your suggestion to start with average sub distance, motivated me to measure sub distances again. With the addition of the fourth, the average changed to 11 from 12, which is what I was using with 3. However, it is astonishing to me that running REW with distances from 10-15, the resolution of the null at 11 was so complete.
Thanks again for your response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6692 of 8267 Old 02-07-2019, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I am confused I set my subs at 75db on quick measure which I thought was what most AVR's aim for all speakers. That has the levels set on zero when I go to my AVR level settings. I like more bass so I raise the level on the AVR to +7. Would that put the sub amps into clipping. I am running monolith 12s. These sub seem to want more gain than typical subs

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #6693 of 8267 Old 02-07-2019, 07:47 PM
WLC

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Using Quick Measure before ARC

[QUOTE=Norris Kasey;57567516]I am confused I set my subs at 75db on quick measure which I thought was what most AVR's aim for all speakers. That has the levels set on zero when I go to my AVR level settings. I like more bass so I raise the level on the AVR to +7. Would that put the sub amps into clipping. I am running monolith 12s. These sub seem to want more gain than typical subs

The reason I began setting my combined subs at 85 before running ARC is that my subs were not sounding nearly as good as they are capable of when the AVR level setting for the sub is in the positive. By running them at 85, ARC then sets them to -8. Then I raise the sub volume by 6, or you could raise it, in the sub, by whatever you want. This procedure made my subs sound much, much better. And, I also use Quick Measure for setting the subs levels. By the way, I assume you mean the combined sub volume. That must be what you mean or ARC wouldn't set the level at 0. I got most of this advice from the sub manual: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...eferences.html written by MThomas47 that is a sticky at the beginning of the sub section
mbroadus and Norris Kasey like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6694 of 8267 Old 02-08-2019, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
What settings did you change to get you sub up and running via Node 2i?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sorry for the late reply, work got in the way ! I used the settings in the picture above, my neighbor helped me out. When I get home I’ll take a picture of my imput settings & post it tomorrow.
mbroadus likes this.
post #6695 of 8267 Old 02-10-2019, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 765
I'm getting something weird going on and I'm checking in to see if anyone else is experiencing something similar. I'm running Windows 10, installed the Netflix App and have the Dolby Atmos for Home Theater also applied to my Windows setup. Some movies and shows listed as Atmos in Netflix will work properly (Haunting of Hill House), whereas others (Travelers) are supposed to be in Atmos but on the Anthem receiver display they are listed as DD+ 3/2. What in the hell does that even mean? I have the 720.

Gear: The Brains: Anthem MRX 720. The Brawn: Outlaw 7700. The Fun: Custom PC w/ Logitech 27 & reverse mount pedals, Nintendo Switch, Playstation PS4 Pro. The Visuals: Oppo 203, Darbee Darblet, Optoma HD3300, Panamorph UH480, DIY 138" Curved screen using Semour Centerstage XD AT material. The Audio: 7.1.4: LCR: Tannoy DC12i. Sides: Tannoy IW63DC. Rears: Tannoy DC8i. Ceilings: Tannoy CMS 603/601 DCBM. Subs: 3X Micro Marty and 1X Full Marty.
post #6696 of 8267 Old 02-10-2019, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
I'm getting something weird going on and I'm checking in to see if anyone else is experiencing something similar. I'm running Windows 10, installed the Netflix App and have the Dolby Atmos for Home Theater also applied to my Windows setup. Some movies and shows listed as Atmos in Netflix will work properly (Haunting of Hill House), whereas others (Travelers) are supposed to be in Atmos but on the Anthem receiver display they are listed as DD+ 3/2. What in the hell does that even mean? I have the 720.
Nothing wrong in your setup...some titles in the Netflix app for Windows may just take some time for the Atmos track to go "live".
Norris Kasey likes this.
post #6697 of 8267 Old 02-12-2019, 11:00 AM

Finally got around to running ARC again. How do I measure distance for my Dolby atmos speakers? I have them on top of my fronts towers. Do I measure from the speaker to the listening position like the rest of the speakers or do I measure from speaker to ceiling?

post #6698 of 8267 Old 02-12-2019, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Does the 1120 have the capability for 2 front wides in its configuration?

Marantz SR7012, LG OLED55C7P, Sony UBP X800
Anthem MCA 525, Panamax M-5400
Kef R5, R2c, Paradigm MilleaniaOne Surrounds/Rear Heights
Kef Q150 Front Heights, HSU Research VTF-2 MK4 dual subs
Running 5.2.4
post #6699 of 8267 Old 02-12-2019, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked: 2490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris Kasey View Post
Finally got around to running ARC again. How do I measure distance for my Dolby atmos speakers? I have them on top of my fronts towers. Do I measure from the speaker to the listening position like the rest of the speakers or do I measure from speaker to ceiling?

For DAE speakers, you measure from the speaker to the bounce point on the ceilling, then from the bounce point to the MLP. The sum of the two distances is what you enter.

It helps to use a laser measuring device to get the values.
Norris Kasey likes this.
post #6700 of 8267 Old 02-12-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
For DAE speakers, you measure from the speaker to the bounce point on the ceilling, then from the bounce point to the MLP. The sum of the two distances is what you enter.

It helps to use a laser measuring device to get the values.
Thanks will give that a try

post #6701 of 8267 Old 02-13-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim4511 View Post
Does the 1120 have the capability for 2 front wides in its configuration?

Anyone?

Running 5.2.4
post #6702 of 8267 Old 02-13-2019, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim4511 View Post
Anyone?
No, it doesn't support wides.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
post #6703 of 8267 Old 02-13-2019, 05:40 PM

Thank you.

Running 5.2.4
post #6704 of 8267 Old 02-15-2019, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Ok now it’s official on Anthem site: https://www.anthemav.com/support/arc-genesis.php
ratbuddy likes this.
post #6705 of 8267 Old 02-15-2019, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondongon View Post
Ok now it’s official on Anthem site: https://www.anthemav.com/support/arc-genesis.php
That page has been up since a day or so after the announcement that Anthem made at the show.
post #6706 of 8267 Old 02-16-2019, 01:49 AM

Quote:
That page has been up since a day or so after the announcement that Anthem made at the show.

Ok I am late to the show
BGLeduc likes this.
post #6707 of 8267 Old 02-16-2019, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok I am late to the show
No worries. The real show doesn’t start until April. :-)
post #6708 of 8267 Old 02-16-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
No worries. The real show doesn’t start until April. :-)

Yeah, I bet there will be a flurry of posts! Haven’t read on Genesis, I wonder if and what will be radical about it compared to ARC from an audio perspective.
post #6709 of 8267 Old 02-16-2019, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I bet there will be a flurry of posts! Haven’t read on Genesis, I wonder if and what will be radical about it compared to ARC from an audio perspective.
The only aspect that could be considered radical is the customizable target curve. It can make a big difference.
desray2k likes this.
post #6710 of 8267 Old 02-17-2019, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
The only aspect that could be considered radical is the customizable target curve. It can make a big difference.

Yep, I noticed that feature listed, do you know or can you speculate what it would do? To a certain extent we already can customize certain aspects of the target curve, what else?
post #6711 of 8267 Old 02-17-2019, 08:18 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5813 Post(s)
Liked: 8280
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
Evidently they've also added the ability to do Quick Measure *WITH* the currently uploaded ARC solution in effect. That is you can choose to see either the raw response for a speaker (the way Quick Measure has always worked) or the response of the speaker including the current ARC solution -- and with or without the Subwoofer (with ARC) also included so you can see the full impact of bass steering as processed via ARC. This is something the current ARC will do only for the Anthem STR electronics.
--Bob
mbroadus likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #6712 of 8267 Old 02-17-2019, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Evidently they've also added the ability to do Quick Measure *WITH* the currently uploaded ARC solution in effect. That is you can choose to see either the raw response for a speaker (the way Quick Measure has always worked) or the response of the speaker including the current ARC solution -- and with or without the Subwoofer (with ARC) also included so you can see the full impact of bass steering as processed via ARC. This is something the current ARC will do only for the Anthem STR electronics.
--Bob
Forgot about the quick measure addition. That would make it one of maybe two auto EQ solutions(ARCOS?) that does this. Very useful feature.
post #6713 of 8267 Old 02-17-2019, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Eagerly waiting for Apr to arrive so that we can start playing with the new ARC Genesis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6714 of 8267 Old 02-17-2019, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
--Bob
I can play any channel, with or without sub? That sounds like it may be useful for setting subwoofer phase.
post #6715 of 8267 Old 02-18-2019, 06:03 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5813 Post(s)
Liked: 8280
Quote:
I can play any channel, with or without sub? That sounds like it may be useful for setting subwoofer phase.
With the current ARC and the STR electronics you can definitely do that when you instruct ARC to do Quick Measure incorporating the most recently Uploaded ARC solution. This is for the app running on Windows -- not the phone app.

I don't recall for certain, but I don't believe you have this choice to include the Sub if you tell Quick Measure to show you the raw output of a speaker (no ARC included).

At this point, too, what the new ARC will allow is anybody's guess.

And yes, this is good for checking and correcting Phase between a single Sub and any given main speaker. However it's not so useful for checking Phase between separate Subs themselves, or between a set of multiple Subs and a main speaker. This is because the ARC solution has been built listening to the combined output of the set of Subs at their current Phase settings. If you start changing Phase for any of then, that alters the combined output of the Subs and starts to invalidate the ARC solution. At the very least you would need to rebuild the ARC solution after doing such fiddling with multiple Subs.

Also note that Quick Measure gives you a live, frequency response chart as opposed to a combined reading such as you'd get with an SPL meter. And of course it only shows the result from one mic location at a time. So if you start adjusting Phase -- even with just a single Sub -- in an effort to smooth out the response curve, you may end up with LOWER overall output. I.e., less energy than an SPL meter would show, due to the frequency variation of what a Phase control does. Whether that sounds better depends on what the Phase adjustment is changing. And as with the current Quick Measure, the result shown with ARC included is a lot bumpier than the average across all mic positions shown in the normal ARC results charts. So it is also trickier to determine by eye whether the chart after a Phase change is actually better, too, not even accounting for the fact that the result will almost certainly change if you then look at a different mic position.

The result will also be different if you adjust Phase by setting "Acoustic distance" for the Sub(s) -- i.e., telling the electronics the Sub is positioned farther away than its actual location -- instead of adjusting a Phase control, again because of the frequency variation between these two methods.

One thing I HAVE found this useful for (again, with the STR electronics at this point) is to get an easy check whether Polarity is better set to Normal or Inverted on the Sub.

All in all, it's another useful tool, but doesn't make correcting Phase for the Sub(s) a snap by any means.

--Bob
BGLeduc likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #6716 of 8267 Old 02-18-2019, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Why am I getting audio out of my 4 Atmos speakers when I'm playing media that does not have an Atmos track? This happens across Blu-ray discs, streaming, etc. The audio is usually background music and sometimes audio that is similar to what's being played out of the rear speakers.

Using the MRX-1120.
post #6717 of 8267 Old 02-18-2019, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan944 View Post
Why am I getting audio out of my 4 Atmos speakers when I'm playing media that does not have an Atmos track? This happens across Blu-ray discs, streaming, etc. The audio is usually background music and sometimes audio that is similar to what's being played out of the rear speakers.

Using the MRX-1120.
Nothing wrong if you have engaged the Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU) mode for non Atmos tracks in the likes of Dolby TrueHD lossless or DD5.1 which caused the height speakers to become active.
post #6718 of 8267 Old 02-18-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desray2k View Post
Quote:

Using the MRX-1120.
Nothing wrong if you have engaged the Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU) mode for non Atmos tracks in the likes of Dolby TrueHD lossless or DD5.1 which caused the height speakers to become active.
How do I turn that off?

Sound: Anthem MRX-1120. Triad Silver speakers with Atmos and SVS PB-2000 subwoofers in 5.2.2. Sony UBP-X800. Roku Ultra. Amazon Fire TV. Micca Speck G2. ViewTV AT-263.
Picture: Epson 6040UB. Seymour Enlightor 4K 140 inch screen. Audioquest Forest HDMI.
Automation: Control4
Space: Dedicated theater room. Two Jerome's Challenger sofas.
post #6719 of 8267 Old 02-18-2019, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2956 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
How do I turn that off?
Either turn off Dolby Surround mode temporarily by selecting blank (none) by touching Mode, then v/^ buttons.

To turn it off permanently, go to the input setup for each source, and change the Mode Preset for Stereo and Multi-ch Sources to none.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #6720 of 8267 Old 02-18-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Quote:
How do I turn that off?
Either turn off Dolby Surround mode temporarily by selecting blank (none) by touching Mode, then v/^ buttons.

To turn it off permanently, go to the input setup for each source, and change the Mode Preset for Stereo and Multi-ch Sources to none.
Thank you so much for your help, I'll change the settings tomorrow. So if I turn it off permanently, the Atmos speakers will still work correctly when I play an Atmos video?

Sound: Anthem MRX-1120. Triad Silver speakers with Atmos and SVS PB-2000 subwoofers in 5.2.2. Sony UBP-X800. Roku Ultra. Amazon Fire TV. Micca Speck G2. ViewTV AT-263.
Picture: Epson 6040UB. Seymour Enlightor 4K 140 inch screen. Audioquest Forest HDMI.
Automation: Control4
Space: Dedicated theater room. Two Jerome's Challenger sofas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page