Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 232 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13156Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6931 of 8084 Old 04-06-2019, 01:12 PM
Senior Member
 
cargen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brentwood, TN
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris Kasey View Post
Are you using this with a harmony remote just for you avm60? If so maybe you can get a 2.5mm mono to 3.5 mono cable and plug it to the back of the avm60
No, my remote is a URC MX-990, which I use with a URC MX-350 RF/IR repeater. I don't see why the brand of remote would matter. All I am seeking is an IR receiver cable with a 2.5mm male plug on one end and a red or other IR receiver on the other end that receives an IR signal in the same manner as the built in IR receiver on the front of the AVM-60. In other words, so that the AVM-60 can be controlled with any remote pointing at such a rear-located cable, whether by the Anthem AVM-60 remote or a 3rd party universal remote.

What is needed is an IR receiver cable that will work. IMO, Anthem should either provide the cable in the box, offer it as an Anthem accessory or at least specify in their manual which brand(s)/model(s) work.

I'll phone Anthem tech support on Monday, but was hoping someone here might already know.

JVC RS3000 in AeroLift 150, Paladin DCR lens, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Two Screens: Stewart ElectiScreen StudioTek 130G 153” 240:1 and Screen Innovations Motorized Series 5 Slate 1.2 120" 16:9, Rack: Anthem AVM-60, Oppo 203, Sony CX-7000ES BD Changer, two Anthem A-5's, Rotel 1075, Atmos 7.2.4: 7 Thiel PowerPoint 1.2's, 2 SVS SB-16 Ultra's, 4 Thiel PowerPlane 1.2's. Projector cabling: FIBBR + RUIPro 10M, Remote: URC MX-990.
cargen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6932 of 8084 Old 04-06-2019, 02:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Norris Kasey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargen View Post
No, my remote is a URC MX-990, which I use with a URC MX-350 RF/IR repeater. I don't see why the brand of remote would matter. All I am seeking is an IR receiver cable with a 2.5mm male plug on one end and a red or other IR receiver on the other end that receives an IR signal in the same manner as the built in IR receiver on the front of the AVM-60. In other words, so that the AVM-60 can be controlled with any remote pointing at such a rear-located cable, whether by the Anthem AVM-60 remote or a 3rd party universal remote.



What is needed is an IR receiver cable that will work. IMO, Anthem should either provide the cable in the box, offer it as an Anthem accessory or at least specify in their manual which brand(s)/model(s) work.



I'll phone Anthem tech support on Monday, but was hoping someone here might already know.
I am not familiar with that setup. But if it has a hub where the repeaters plug into. I would say you could plug it from the hub to the back of the avm60. If it uses standard 2.5mm male to male



Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Norris Kasey is offline  
post #6933 of 8084 Old 04-06-2019, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,643
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean122601 View Post
Anyone ever have the volume stuck in the wide open (loud) position?
Have an AVM 60 that I can turn down
The volume knob isn't working? Try an AC reboot:.

- Disconnect the power cord
- Press the front panel power button 4-5 times to drain residual power
- Reconnect the power cord
dean122601 likes this.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6934 of 8084 Old 04-06-2019, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,459
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked: 1686
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargen View Post
I thought this "Infrared (IR) Receiver Extender Cable" might work and tried it without success:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The AVM-60 manual provides no help.
Yes, the manual does not specify what sort of signal should be used for the rear IR Input jack. That repeater from Amazon states "WORKS ONLY w/CABLE Set Top Boxes (STB)" so not so surprising that it does not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargen View Post
No, my remote is a URC MX-990, which I use with a URC MX-350 RF/IR repeater. I don't see why the brand of remote would matter. All I am seeking is an IR receiver cable with a 2.5mm male plug on one end and a red or other IR receiver on the other end that receives an IR signal in the same manner as the built in IR receiver on the front of the AVM-60. In other words, so that the AVM-60 can be controlled with any remote pointing at such a rear-located cable, whether by the Anthem AVM-60 remote or a 3rd party universal remote.
The brand (and mode --IR/RF) of remote does matter. I can find a MX-990 IR/RF remote control. It can be used with an optional RF base station repeater. I suspect you are using the MRF-350, yes?

If you use the repeater, the 990 is in RF mode, and the MRF-350 converts that into an IR signal suitable for the Anthem. That signal is conveyed to the Anthem either via the "blaster" path or by a direct IR Flasher affixed to the front of the Anthem. If this is correct, I think you have everything you need. Do you have an IR path from the 350 into the Anthem?

Note that it does not appear that the MRF-350 can work with the Anthem remote (or any IR remote).

I use various IR remotes to talk to my hidden rack of gear, and use Xantech extenders for that. There are several such units -- but again, you would not need that in the MRF-350 system.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win7 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #6935 of 8084 Old 04-06-2019, 03:56 PM
Senior Member
 
cargen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brentwood, TN
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris Kasey View Post
I am not familiar with that setup. But if it has a hub where the repeaters plug into. I would say you could plug it from the hub to the back of the avm60. If it uses standard 2.5mm male to male.
I thought so too! I tried that first. No luck unfortunately.

Thanks

JVC RS3000 in AeroLift 150, Paladin DCR lens, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Two Screens: Stewart ElectiScreen StudioTek 130G 153” 240:1 and Screen Innovations Motorized Series 5 Slate 1.2 120" 16:9, Rack: Anthem AVM-60, Oppo 203, Sony CX-7000ES BD Changer, two Anthem A-5's, Rotel 1075, Atmos 7.2.4: 7 Thiel PowerPoint 1.2's, 2 SVS SB-16 Ultra's, 4 Thiel PowerPlane 1.2's. Projector cabling: FIBBR + RUIPro 10M, Remote: URC MX-990.
cargen is offline  
post #6936 of 8084 Old 04-06-2019, 04:07 PM
Senior Member
 
cargen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brentwood, TN
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Yes, the manual does not specify what sort of signal should be used for the rear IR Input jack. That repeater from Amazon states "WORKS ONLY w/CABLE Set Top Boxes (STB)" so not so surprising that it does not work.

The brand (and mode --IR/RF) of remote does matter. I can find a MX-990 IR/RF remote control. It can be used with an optional RF base station repeater. I suspect you are using the MRF-350, yes?

If you use the repeater, the 990 is in RF mode, and the MRF-350 converts that into an IR signal suitable for the Anthem. That signal is conveyed to the Anthem either via the "blaster" path or by a direct IR Flasher affixed to the front of the Anthem. If this is correct, I think you have everything you need. Do you have an IR path from the 350 into the Anthem?
.

I am not new to the URC MX-990/ MX 350. I have used exactly what you describe to control three components located inside cabinets behind closed doors for many years successfully. I CAN control the AVM-60 with the URC MX-990 /MX-350 if I control to the front of the AVM-60. What I am trying to accomplish is to do it from the back, utilizing the IR IN female jack on the back. First I tried both a mono, then a stereo, 2.5mm male-to-male cable from the MRF-350 to the back IR IN jack. No dice! Then I tried the cable for which I provided the amazon hyperlink. Yes I had read the disclaimer saying it probably wouldn't work, but it cost practically nothing to try out. I have searched and searched on line for a solution.

It just shouldn't be this perplexing. . .
Norris Kasey likes this.

JVC RS3000 in AeroLift 150, Paladin DCR lens, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Two Screens: Stewart ElectiScreen StudioTek 130G 153” 240:1 and Screen Innovations Motorized Series 5 Slate 1.2 120" 16:9, Rack: Anthem AVM-60, Oppo 203, Sony CX-7000ES BD Changer, two Anthem A-5's, Rotel 1075, Atmos 7.2.4: 7 Thiel PowerPoint 1.2's, 2 SVS SB-16 Ultra's, 4 Thiel PowerPlane 1.2's. Projector cabling: FIBBR + RUIPro 10M, Remote: URC MX-990.
cargen is offline  
post #6937 of 8084 Old 04-06-2019, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,459
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked: 1686
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargen View Post
I am not new to the URC MX-990/ MX 350. I have used exactly what you describe to control three components located inside cabinets behind closed doors for many years successfully. I CAN control the AVM-60 with the URC MX-990 /MX-350 if I control to the front of the AVM-60. What I am trying to accomplish is to do it from the back, utilizing the IR IN female jack on the back. First I tried both a mono, then a stereo, 2.5mm male-to-male cable from the MRF-350 to the back IR IN jack. No dice!
I just tried using the same IR flasher output port connected using a 3.5 mm stereo male-male cable into the AVM 60 rear IR input. Works exactly the same as the front IR port.

Make sure you have not disabled the rear IR port. Each IR input (front /rear) can be individually controlled.
>Setup
>Network / Remote Control
>Rear IR >On

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win7 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #6938 of 8084 Old 04-06-2019, 08:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Norris Kasey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 66
you can turn on or off the rear IR port in the settings of the avm60

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Norris Kasey is offline  
post #6939 of 8084 Old 04-07-2019, 10:57 PM
Senior Member
 
vodil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SFO
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 31
[QUOTE=Norris Kasey;57560284]How are you guys calibrating dual subwoofers on arc? I did a quick measure on each sub separately set the gain to produce 75 DB on each sub independently. My left subwoofer is not corner loaded so the gain is set higher than the corner loaded sub. Then I ran arc. Seems to be a lot better than it was before. Filled in the spot that was directional or more biased to the corner loaded sub. Made my bass sound even and full. I/QUOTE]

The main benefit of having the 2nd sub is filling holes that the first one leaves because of its location. I set the closest one to the mlp at 75 and then search for holes in its sound field and adjust the 2nd one to fill it. There are other threads on subwoofers to consult

====
MRX1120, Oppo 203, LG & Samsung HDR, XboneS, Xfinity X1, Harmony
vodil is offline  
post #6940 of 8084 Old 04-08-2019, 02:15 AM
Member
 
GeekWave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Cant seem to find much info out there so I figured I was ask the question here. Building a house with media room and plan on using mrx 1120. My question is do I need any kind of dsp for the subs? I can get a great deal on a dbx driverack 260 but I am just wondering if its really neccesary.
Hi @[email protected]

Assuming you will be running two or more subs, it depends on two things:
1. Will your subs located in a way which requires them to be time-aligned?
* If your subs will be located on the same wall (hopefully not!) and are roughly same distance from listening area, then they 'shouldn't' need paired alignment. Otherwise, it's hard to say without measuring (ARC quick measure is good for this) or listening for phase anomalies.
2. If your subs would benefit from alignment, do your subs have variable phase adjustment?

The sub outputs on the Anthems are paralleled, basically a fancy y-splitter. Therefore the Anthem cannot individually adjust them for phase and level, this needs to be done with either your subs adjustment controls, or an outboard DSP.

I have my two subs located in opposing corners, front and back. I am sitting closer to the rear, and can hear and measure a significant improvement with the rear sub delayed 5.5ms behind the front sub. I do this with a miniDSP 2x4 as I just happen to have one, but could also do it with my subs controls.

Most literature I have read on running ARC, suggests using ARC's 'Quick Measure' to time-align and SPL match multiple subs before running ARC proper.

If you have subs with variable phase adjustment, run ARC Quick Measure and adjust the phase on one sub (the one closest to you if applicable) and see what happens to the response... You want to aim for the smoothest curve with the fewest dips...Boosts can be fixed with EQ, big dips cannot.

Good times :-)

Shane

Sources: NVidia Shield TV - Allo DigiOne Roon Endpoint - Panasonic UB-900
Audio: Anthem MRX-720 - Emotiva UPA1's - KEF R900's - Dual SVS-PB2000's (via MiniDSP 2x4)
Video: Panasonic TH-65DX900
FYI - I have NO affiliation with the media player 'Geek Wave' (cant change stupid name)

Last edited by GeekWave; 04-08-2019 at 02:18 AM.
GeekWave is offline  
post #6941 of 8084 Old 04-08-2019, 03:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rblnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY/NJ
Posts: 1,115
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris Kasey View Post
you can turn on or off the rear IR port in the settings of the avm60

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
We’ve used the back IR port on the AVM with a similar URC setup for some clients and it has worked. Sold our demo recently so can’t check cable specifics at the moment.

HT/Music Atmos setup with Scaena line arrays and Storm Audio processor

http://www.outreachav.com
Dealer for Paradigm/Anthem, NAD, Hegel, Storm Audio, PS Audio, more... PM about demos/specials
rblnr is offline  
post #6942 of 8084 Old 04-08-2019, 07:57 AM
Senior Member
 
cargen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brentwood, TN
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 85
STEREO male-male 3.5mm cable into IR IN jack ?

Many thanks to those of you trying to help sort out my cabling issue to the "IR IN" jack on the back of the AVM-60.

None of your suggestions helped, but I think I located the answer at www.remotecentral.com, where I found a thread that said that only a STEREO male-to male cable will work, NOT the MONO male-to-male cable that I had tried.

I've orded this Monoprice 25ft 3.5mm (1/8") Stereo Male-Male: Cable https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll report back at the end of the week, if in fact it works.

JVC RS3000 in AeroLift 150, Paladin DCR lens, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Two Screens: Stewart ElectiScreen StudioTek 130G 153” 240:1 and Screen Innovations Motorized Series 5 Slate 1.2 120" 16:9, Rack: Anthem AVM-60, Oppo 203, Sony CX-7000ES BD Changer, two Anthem A-5's, Rotel 1075, Atmos 7.2.4: 7 Thiel PowerPoint 1.2's, 2 SVS SB-16 Ultra's, 4 Thiel PowerPlane 1.2's. Projector cabling: FIBBR + RUIPro 10M, Remote: URC MX-990.

Last edited by cargen; 04-08-2019 at 08:01 AM.
cargen is offline  
post #6943 of 8084 Old 04-08-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Thxtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,052
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargen View Post
Many thanks to those of you trying to help sort out my cabling issue to the "IR IN" jack on the back of the AVM-60.

None of your suggestions helped, but I think I located the answer at www.remotecentral.com, where I found a thread that said that only a STEREO male-to male cable will work, NOT the MONO male-to-male cable that I had tried.

I've orded this Monoprice 25ft 3.5mm (1/8") Stereo Male-Male: Cable https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll report back at the end of the week, if in fact it works.
I hope that the stereo 3.5mm works for you. Would you be kind enough to outline the specific components you are using in your Niles IR network? If you are using other brands in the mix such is the IR receiver you may have problems and need to make sure you are using all Niles in the network. If you are using other brands in the mix such as the IR receiver you may have problems and need to make sure you were using all Niles in the network. I’ve used the IR, RS 232 and rear input successfully. As Another member said you have to make sure that the rear ports are enabled in the set up menu.

Thxtheater is offline  
post #6944 of 8084 Old 04-08-2019, 11:45 AM
Senior Member
 
cargen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brentwood, TN
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post
I hope that the stereo 3.5mm works for you. Would you be kind enough to outline the specific components you are using in your Niles IR network? If you are using other brands in the mix such is the IR receiver you may have problems and need to make sure you are using all Niles in the network. If you are using other brands in the mix such as the IR receiver you may have problems and need to make sure you were using all Niles in the network. I’ve used the IR, RS 232 and rear input successfully. As Another member said you have to make sure that the rear ports are enabled in the set up menu.
I'm not using a Niles IR network.

I am usiung a URC (Universal Remote Control) MRF-350 Addressable RF Base Station with an RFX-250 Antenna Module, which has been part of my system controlling 5 other components via standard IR emitters for several years. The only Q I've had is how to get a male-male cable to work in a rear jack instead of standard IR emiitter cables used in front of the red IR receivers imbedded in the front of most components. I know about making the rear ports enabled in the set up menu. I think that all I was doing wrong was using a MONO male-male cable instead of a STEREO male-male cable. But the "proof" will be after the STEREO cable I ordered arrives and I plug it in.

Thanks!

JVC RS3000 in AeroLift 150, Paladin DCR lens, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Two Screens: Stewart ElectiScreen StudioTek 130G 153” 240:1 and Screen Innovations Motorized Series 5 Slate 1.2 120" 16:9, Rack: Anthem AVM-60, Oppo 203, Sony CX-7000ES BD Changer, two Anthem A-5's, Rotel 1075, Atmos 7.2.4: 7 Thiel PowerPoint 1.2's, 2 SVS SB-16 Ultra's, 4 Thiel PowerPlane 1.2's. Projector cabling: FIBBR + RUIPro 10M, Remote: URC MX-990.
cargen is offline  
post #6945 of 8084 Old 04-08-2019, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 3,233
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by desray2k View Post
Definitely coming soon.

Yep, weekend's come and gone along with my opp to try it out. Now have to hope I'll have time to get back up to my weekender and MRX-1120 later in the month to try out when it does turn up.

Last edited by OzHDHT; 04-08-2019 at 08:55 PM.
OzHDHT is offline  
post #6946 of 8084 Old 04-08-2019, 08:53 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
MRX520 owner here. Not trying to de-rail if this is the wrong forum. Did a cursory search and nada for us little guys. : (
pareidolia is offline  
post #6947 of 8084 Old 04-08-2019, 08:58 PM
Member
 
GeekWave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by pareidolia View Post
MRX520 owner here. Not trying to de-rail if this is the wrong forum. Did a cursory search and nada for us little guys. : (
No snobs here mate - not that I can tell... welcome

"Pareidolia" ...my favorite Haken song

Sources: NVidia Shield TV - Allo DigiOne Roon Endpoint - Panasonic UB-900
Audio: Anthem MRX-720 - Emotiva UPA1's - KEF R900's - Dual SVS-PB2000's (via MiniDSP 2x4)
Video: Panasonic TH-65DX900
FYI - I have NO affiliation with the media player 'Geek Wave' (cant change stupid name)
GeekWave is offline  
post #6948 of 8084 Old 04-08-2019, 09:10 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekWave View Post
No snobs here mate - not that I can tell... welcome

"Pareidolia" ...my favorite Haken song
Thanks for the kind reply GeekWave. Never heard of them but just checked them out. Pretty sick drumming and guitar work! Bit of a Dream Theater vibe me thinks!
GeekWave likes this.
pareidolia is offline  
post #6949 of 8084 Old 04-09-2019, 12:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,459
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked: 1686
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargen View Post
I think that all I was doing wrong was using a MONO male-male cable instead of a STEREO male-male cable. But the "proof" will be after the STEREO cable I ordered arrives and I plug it in.
There is no reason IMHO that the mono cable shouldn't work. The IR flasher uses a 2-conductor "mono" connector, and AVRs only use the tip and sleeve connections.

Could the "IR Output Level" controls on the MRF-350 have anything to do with it? Did you try setting to maximum?

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win7 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #6950 of 8084 Old 04-11-2019, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
dlinsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 999
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 383
This probably doesn't help, but I've being using a mono cable with my 1120 without issue for over 2 years now. My configuration is a Harmony Elite, and the Hub output goes to a Xantech IR block (with 10 outputs, bought for $20 on eBay) to split to each device in my rack, with a mono cable from the Xantech to the Anthem.
Roger Dressler likes this.
dlinsley is online now  
post #6951 of 8084 Old 04-11-2019, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,814
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 751
So, the genesis thingy...........any news?
ratbuddy likes this.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is offline  
post #6952 of 8084 Old 04-11-2019, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,643
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
So, the genesis thingy...........any news?
Nope, nothing but crickets from Anthem.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is online now  
post #6953 of 8084 Old 04-12-2019, 12:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Norris Kasey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Just got my mono 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable connected to my harmony hub to the rear IR on my MRX720. It works fine after disabling the front IR.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Norris Kasey is offline  
post #6954 of 8084 Old 04-12-2019, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
desray2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,114
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Darn. I thought this week Anthem will release the ARC Genesis. no worries, next week. LoL


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
desray2k is offline  
post #6955 of 8084 Old 04-12-2019, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 3,233
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by desray2k View Post
Darn. I thought this week Anthem will release the ARC Genesis. no worries, next week. LoL


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fine with me, I couldn't try it this weekend. Still I've got other stuff like Lumagen DTM updates in my main HT to keep me occupied
OzHDHT is offline  
post #6956 of 8084 Old 04-12-2019, 06:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Norris Kasey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I just put my height speakers on the wall. Guess I will wait for arc Genesis so I don't have to run the correction completely all over... Come on Anthem hurry up and release it already

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Norris Kasey is offline  
post #6957 of 8084 Old 04-13-2019, 07:08 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Angry Anthem MRX 720 and hires audio

Hello all,

I am a proud new owner of an Anthem MRX 720 and I find that is quite a pleasant unit, but I have been flummoxed getting to play hires audio in it. I have a Plex Media Server serving up my hires audio files and it is located in my local network. I play those hires files by adding my Plex Media Server as a Media Server in my PlayFi app (iOS). I have already set the remote quality on Plex Media Server settings to be Original (No Limit). The hires files on my Plex Media Server are FLAC and 24bit/192kHz and 24bit/96kHz. They are mixed in with CD-quality audio files (44.1kHz/16bit) in my Plex Media Server which is "seen" on my PlayFi app by enabling DLNA on my Plex Media Server (and also allowing UPnP on the router).

When I play the files via PlayFi on my MRX720, they show up as 44.1kHz PCM audio (the specific files I am testing with are 24bit/96kHz). Any ideas why? Can anyone tell me what Anthem's marketing speak of "24bit/192kHz compatible" mean? Does it mean they can play my hires files but they do it by downsampling those files?

BTW, when I play the hires files on my Macbook Pro using VLC (or Chrome on mac), connect the Mac to my MRX720 via HDMI, it shows up as 48kHz Multi-PCM audio on my receiver. This is all a bit confusing. Any advice to play hires on MRX720 and general advice re: playing hires is appreciated.

Thanks!
Dylanthomasfan is offline  
post #6958 of 8084 Old 04-13-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,591
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2798 Post(s)
Liked: 1762
Quote:
Originally Posted by desray2k View Post
Darn. I thought this week Anthem will release the ARC Genesis. no worries, next week. LoL

Yeah, I hope it's soon!! I've got two weeks starting yesterday that my neighbors are gone and I'd love to tinker with the new ARC while they are away (they can hear the ARC sweeps - and let's face it, they can be annoying....) Want to get some loud movie and music in while I can.....
Dylanthomasfan likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #6959 of 8084 Old 04-13-2019, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
Delija's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NS
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanthomasfan View Post
Hello all,

I am a proud new owner of an Anthem MRX 720 and I find that is quite a pleasant unit, but I have been flummoxed getting to play hires audio in it. I have a Plex Media Server serving up my hires audio files and it is located in my local network. I play those hires files by adding my Plex Media Server as a Media Server in my PlayFi app (iOS). I have already set the remote quality on Plex Media Server settings to be Original (No Limit). The hires files on my Plex Media Server are FLAC and 24bit/192kHz and 24bit/96kHz. They are mixed in with CD-quality audio files (44.1kHz/16bit) in my Plex Media Server which is "seen" on my PlayFi app by enabling DLNA on my Plex Media Server (and also allowing UPnP on the router).

When I play the files via PlayFi on my MRX720, they show up as 44.1kHz PCM audio (the specific files I am testing with are 24bit/96kHz). Any ideas why? Can anyone tell me what Anthem's marketing speak of "24bit/192kHz compatible" mean? Does it mean they can play my hires files but they do it by downsampling those files?

BTW, when I play the hires files on my Macbook Pro using VLC (or Chrome on mac), connect the Mac to my MRX720 via HDMI, it shows up as 48kHz Multi-PCM audio on my receiver. This is all a bit confusing. Any advice to play hires on MRX720 and general advice re: playing hires is appreciated.

Thanks!
You need to use critical listening mode in DTS Play-Fi.
https://play-fi.com/faq/entry/critical-listening-mode

For second part of your question - make sure there is no resampling on output.

Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V
Delija is offline  
post #6960 of 8084 Old 04-14-2019, 05:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
You need to use critical listening mode in DTS Play-Fi.
...
For second part of your question - make sure there is no resampling on output.
Spot on! That works well (i.e., playing hires on Anthem MRX720. Thank you, @Delija !

I haven't yet figured out how to check resampling on output. If you have any ideas, do let me know. Thanks again!
Dylanthomasfan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off