Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 234 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13153Likes

Old 04-17-2019, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 9
[QUOTE=mbroadus;57914098]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Interesting.

I think Roger may have solved the issue. After reading his post this morning, I got to thinking and recalled that originally I hooked up the Arias with a set of AQ cables in 3.1. I had to shuffle around some cabling (owing to my wife’s displeasure at me cannibalizing her TV setup to setup my new HT), and subsequently replaced the AQ with some brand new BJC cabling.

The Anthem does not like the BJC. I swapped it out with what I originally used and voilà, no protection mode. It was a “eureka!” moment.

I don’t have time to hook up all seven channels this morning, but I’m thinking this may at least have solved the amp protection problem. I have never had an amplifier/receiver flat out reject a speaker cable.

Thanks for all your help. When I get a chance to hook up the rest of it, I’ll let you know what happens.
Interesting...are you referring to speaker or HDMI cables? All my HDMI and RCA connects are BJC but my speaker cables are Wireworld.
These are BJC Canare speaker cables. I originally intended them for my wife’s 3 channel sub-system in the loft of my house. However, I terminated them in spades and subsequently discovered one of my Paradigm Mini Monitors has a broken binding post (I wonder which child did that? &#x1f621. Spades will thus work in neither system. So I had BJC send some banana ends and just used them down in the HT. The rest is history. Who knew?
mbroadus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
Yes, they will
Impedance is associated with frequency and not the loudness/volume.

Of course, if you play louder - more current is needed.
And if impendance is lower - again, more current is needed.
BTW, phase angle is also important.
Yup I understand it's associated with frequency. I was just expressing that it might be a problem with volume/load required if he had a bad speaker wire.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Old 04-17-2019, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all -

My MRX720 will suddenly not allow 4K HDR (HDR10) pass-through above 30Hz

- chroma confirmed set no higher than 4:2:0 above 4K 30Hz
- when trying either a file or test signal (Apple TV) at 4K either 50Hz HDR or 60Hz HDR, the unit displays 'NoSig' and then can't resync until the resolution is dropped to 720p or until the MRX720 is power-cycled
- 4K SDR pass-through is fine through 60Hz
- direct connection of either source (Apple TV or Roku Ultra) to either a Samsung MU7000 or NU8000-series TV allows 4K HDR through 60Hz (as well as up to chroma 4:2:2)
- both TVs support up to HDMI 2.0a and/or HDCP 2.2
- HDMI cables mixed, swapped and switched
- Anthem firmware is latest (1.4.095)

It's almost as if the MRX720 has 'forgotten' HDMI 2.0 (which is ridiculous, of course).

For commercial media this issue is practically moot, but it's the principle of the thing ...

After I spoke to Paradigm tech support, my dealer is arranging a drop-ship of a new MRX720, but I want to make sure I haven't forgotten anything. Ideas?

Thanks in advance -

Ian

Last edited by ianbtv; 04-17-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 2928 Post(s)
Liked: 1683
Quote:
I have never had an amplifier/receiver flat out reject a speaker cable.
Me neither. Glad you remembered they were changed in the process. FWIW, I have been using Canare 4S11 for over 20 years in three different homes and with multiple amps -- never had that issue -- but it was always with outboard amps, not AVRs. 4S11 is unusual in that the quad twist reduces series inductance. Probably a good idea to steer clear of certain Kimber Kables, too.

On another note, if you include the "close quote" tag after the quoted poster's name it will generate a hyperlink back to the original post. Very convenient for tracing a discussion. Also, in the post I cited, it looks like you authored what I wrote. Could be confusing.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win7 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Old 04-17-2019, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Quote:
I have never had an amplifier/receiver flat out reject a speaker cable.
Me neither. Glad you remembered they were changed in the process. FWIW, I have been using Canare 4S11 for over 20 years in three different homes and with multiple amps -- never had that issue -- but it was always with outboard amps, not AVRs. 4S11 is unusual in that the quad twist reduces series inductance. Probably a good idea to steer clear of certain Kimber Kables, too. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]

On another note, if you include the "close quote" tag after the quoted poster's name it will generate a hyperlink back to the original post. Very convenient for tracing a discussion. Also, in the post I cited, it looks like you authored what I wrote. Could be confusing. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/IMG]
Sorry about that. Nested quotes can get dizzying to follow, and my phone is rather aggressive when deleting. I probably deleted the close quote while trimming the quotes.

As finicky as this receiver seems to be with cables, I predict at least one outboard amplifier to be added sooner rather than later.

Last edited by Milliron; 04-17-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3058 Post(s)
Liked: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by desray2k View Post
Darn. I thought this week Anthem will release the ARC Genesis. no worries, next week. LoL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
5 days later and still waiting.
mbroadus likes this.

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
Old 04-17-2019, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
5 days later and still waiting.

Yep. Looks like it’s gonna be end of the month. Probably on the same week as Avengers End Game release. This is mid Apr now.

Franin likes this.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Yep. Looks like it’s gonna be end of the month. Probably on the same week as Avengers End Game release. This is mid Apr now.

Yes i think your maybe right. I was looking forward in trying it over Easter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

God Bless,
Old 04-17-2019, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Again, no sane company would release it just before Easter weekend, unless they wanted to have all their engineers and support people having to cancel their Easter plans if it went wrong.
Legairre and Delija like this.

New Home Cinema: Sony VPL-VW760, Anthem MRX 1120, Q Acoustics 30x0 series speakers fronts, SVS Prime Elevation surround speakers, Proficient C791 Atmos, SVS PB2000 sub, Panasonic DMP-UB820, Apple TV, Pioneer CLD-D5V laserdisc, FetchTV, eeColor 3D LUT & Radiance XD-3D and ScreenTechnics CinemaSnap Hi Contrast 130" screen
Old 04-18-2019, 01:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 269
As an IT guy, I couldn't agree more
Legairre likes this.

Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V
Old 04-18-2019, 03:53 AM

Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers

God Bless,

Last edited by Franin; 04-18-2019 at 04:03 AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:

A good marketing guy would have promised the product in May and over-delivered when released in late April.
Franin and Jonas2 like this.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
Old 04-18-2019, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Curious whether anyone has had problems with their MRX series A/V Receivers getting hot or overheating? I currently have a AC Infinity Aircom T8 fan on my MRX-720 and my normal listening volume is between -25 to -30dB and I'm not sure whether I've ever heard the Aircom fan come on. The average temperature in the enclosed cabinet is around 82-85 degrees Fahrenheit unless my PS4 is on and then the cabinet gets rather warm.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 269
It gets pretty warm even when internal amps are not used.

Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V
Old 04-18-2019, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2793 Post(s)
Liked: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Curious whether anyone has had problems with their MRX series A/V Receivers getting hot or overheating? I currently have a AC Infinity Aircom T8 fan on my MRX-720 and my normal listening volume is between -25 to -30dB and I'm not sure whether I've ever heard the Aircom fan come on. The average temperature in the enclosed cabinet is around 82-85 degrees Fahrenheit unless my PS4 is on and then the cabinet gets rather warm.

Depends of course on your temp. set points, and you should be able to visually see when the fans are active on the T8's display, no?

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Old 04-18-2019, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
A good marketing guy would have promised the product in May and over-delivered when released in late April.
I tell my IT team this all the time. Underpromise and overdeliver. Customers would rather be given a longer timeframe and have us meet or beat it than be given a shorter timeframe that we end up missing. I sure hope Anthem isn't going to fall into the latter with this Genesis release. Starting to think maybe they were a little premature in announcing its release when it wasn't quite ready for prime time.
Bill-99, mbroadus and Franin like this.

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVR 60 | 5.2.4 Config: MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL X FL/FR, ESL C Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Motion 4i Atmos | Subs: Velodyne DD-15, Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x | Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 FL/C/FR, Emotiva A-700 Surrounds and Atmos

Old 04-18-2019, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Depends of course on your temp. set points, and you should be able to visually see when the fans are active on the T8's display, no?
Yes, but I don't remember it ever coming on since I don't normally drive the AVR that hard. I'll have to pay more attention to it this weekend.

Old 04-18-2019, 01:51 PM
NMG

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
I usually run mine at the same volume range for music and HT, and it's barely warm to the touch at the back centre of the unit. Mine is not in a cabinet though, it sits out in open space beside my center channel speaker.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyRider View Post
I tell my IT team this all the time. Underpromise and overdeliver. Customers would rather be given a longer timeframe and have us meet or beat it than be given a shorter timeframe that we end up missing. I sure hope Anthem isn't going to fall into the latter with this Genesis release. Starting to think maybe they were a little premature in announcing its release when it wasn't quite ready for prime time.

C’mon guys, have a little faith. Besides we still have about 1 week plus to end of Apr.

Anthem, prove to us you can deliver.
Legairre, Franin, Jonas2 and 2 others like this.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAHT View Post
I use 3 Ubiquity Wireless Access Points (WAPs) in my home. The WiFi coverage is very good which is why I think Play-Fi works well for me.

IMHO Play-Fi should add WiFi signal information to their app so users can see if the signal's not strong enough. Anyway I digress.

Question: Are you using Ubiquity switches? They have proprietary functionality in them. I use TL switches and cannot configure the Ubiquity WAPs through a TL switch. I have to connect the WAP via an HP switch to do the configuration. Afterwards I can reconnect the WAP to the TL switch and it works fine for normal operation. Given that Ubiquity switch HAS to be doing something proprietary or at least different from the TL. The HP switch BTW is over 10 years old whereas the TL's are < 2 years old. Both the HP and TL are simple, cheap unmanaged switches so who knows what's going on. To be honest, I'm surprised I figured it out.

So if you're using Ubiquity switches, I'd try a different brand. Also I do not use Power Over Ethernet (POE), I power the WAPs locally. I don't know how POE works or how it might effect the Anthem if it's connected to a swtich that supplies POE.

Let me know how if works out.
I love my Ubiquiti Network!!
Old 04-20-2019, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
I have been meaning to call Anthem on this. I moved a temp probe around to figure out the hottest part of the top of my MRX-720. It was actually right over the processor, not the amps, so that is where I attached the probe. The other night I was playing some hi-res music files in stereo from my OPPO 205 at reference levels, i.e., 15 on the Anthem, and when I checked the probe it was showing 108 degF just above the processor. It freaked me out a bit but then I measured only 82 degrees everywhere else inside the cabinet, which has a Noctua fan pushing approx. 40 cfm at about 0.2" wc into a 12 cubic foot space not counting the space the equipment is taking up. Should be turning the air over in there every 20 seconds.
Has anyone measured the temp above the processor that high? I shut everything down to allow it to cool. I was running (2) M&K S-150's and (2) M&K X-10 subs, which sounded glorious with no strain off the Anthem left and right amps. Really impressed with the stereo sound of this unit but am a little hesitant to play it loud for very long now.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
C’mon guys, have a little faith. Besides we still have about 1 week plus to end of Apr.

Anthem, prove to us you can deliver.

I'm getting along to my possible next chance to get to my weekender to have a go with it if they release it before next weekend. Right now both likelihoods are similarly iffy though lol.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
I'm getting along to my possible next chance to get to my weekender to have a go with it if they release it before next weekend. Right now both likelihoods are similarly iffy though lol.

Cross our fingers it will be released this week.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyRider View Post
Quote:
[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] I tell my IT team this all the time. Underpromise and overdeliver. Customers would rather be given a longer timeframe and have us meet or beat it than be given a shorter timeframe that we end up missing. I sure hope Anthem isn't going to fall into the latter with this Genesis release. Starting to think maybe they were a little premature in announcing its release when it wasn't quite ready for prime time.
The Anthem support crew got a normal Easter weekend. They'll release it this week, I'd bet.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Old 04-22-2019, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
The Anthem support crew got a normal Easter weekend. They'll release it this week, I'd bet.
We shall see...

Old 04-22-2019, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2793 Post(s)
Liked: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post

Normally not a betting person, but if I were, I'd agree. Not likely to release it over next weekend, and that would only give them two more days to make their promise. But even they release on the last day of the month, they still make their promise. But that'd be pretty lame....
mbroadus likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Old 04-22-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Normally not a betting person, but if I were, I'd agree. Not likely to release it over next weekend, and that would only give them two more days to make their promise. But even they release on the last day of the month, they still make their promise. But that'd be pretty lame....
True...website still says April 2019 so even if they release on the last day, its still April.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This week for sure. As alway, I’m an optimist.

mbroadus and WOKNROX like this.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
This week for sure. As alway, I’m an optimist.

I'm an optimist too. It'll be this week.
mbroadus and WOKNROX like this.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Old 04-23-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
I'm an optimist too. It'll be this week.
This is definitely a test of patience. This week? Maybe. Or maybe April 31st.

Just one more upgrade and things will be perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox