Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 243 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13153Likes

post #7261 of 8062 Old 05-04-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by avdork View Post
Ok, finished the Genesis setup on an 1120. It sounds a little different. If we assume that Genesis is better than the ARC, then different = better. Went well, I like the result and appreciate that Anthem is still working to make a better product.

As before, if you run one of those "setup your theater" either off a movie disc like many of the Pixar movies or a home theater calibration disc, I find that the speakers themselves are pretty well balanced, but the sub is about -5db below them, using a radio shack decibel meter. I think ARC was about 7db below the mains. I've gone ahead and added 5 db back to my sub in the level calibration screen for the Anthem.

Why would this be? I thought it would be going for "flat", or nearly flat. This seems a bit much. "Back in the day", people were running their subs at +10 db over mains, calling this a home mix in order to compensate for not running at reference level output...all the way up on volume to 0 db.
I thought the bass result was perfect from Genesis. I added some room gain with ARC2, but when I did with Genesis, it was too boomy. I took it back to the room gain Genesis set.

More bass does not mean accurate or better bass.

The only oddity to me is the higher speaker levels, but we'll get it figured out.

Love the more active surrounds and heights and better detail. Atmos got a lot better.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7262 of 8062 Old 05-04-2019, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
to amplify in response to a question about what firmware on the MRX720 I am using with Genesis on my Mac (OS10.12.6), it is all the latest downloadable version (1.4.095). I did have to turn down by about the 3 dB the volume on my subwoofer because ARC gave me a "too loud" error message that it didn't do with ARC 2, but no big deal. And I agree that all of the speakers are about 3-4 dB hotter; I actually wrote down the levels from ARC 2 and then compared them to what ARC 3 gave me and it was all 3 or 4 dB higher with ARC 3 at the identical listening and mic position.
Don't know what could cause any of that but it is all relative regardless.

Someone earlier asked what the tilt does vs other settings; I messed around with them and the easiest way to see what they do it to just go to the adjust target curve pane and then move the settings and watch what it does to the target curve. The tilt db seems to be the magnitude of the tilt from the (adjustable) starting frequency to the ARC high frequency limit. For example, if one wanted to put in a high frequency rolloff of something close to a Harman curve (like I did), just enter 5 db and 500 Hz, if you want to have a rolloff starting at 500 Hz and going down by 5 dB up to the high frequency limit. You can just see it on the graph of the target curve tilting as you increase the tilt value and see where it starts tilting on the graph as you change the tilt frequency.

Same thing for the bass shelf. just play around with the parameters and watch the target curve change as you do. By the way, Anthem told me that the best way to get more bass is to increase the room gain, since that preserves the system target curve characteristics in the crossover region, as opposed to changing the low frequency bass shelf, which does just exactly that and moves up and down the sub amplitude but doesn't make corresponding changes in the mains and thus doesn't preserve the mains/sub integration and again one can see that in the movement of the system target curve as you change that setting as well.

In the end, I am pretty happy with a high frequency roll off of about 5 dB or so and up two dB of room gain from the ARC auto settings; that in essence produces a 10 dB decrease overall with good sub/mains integration and is pretty close to the Harman or Olive or other preferred house target curves. It is great that one can adjust all of these things in Genesis and then upload them as different groups of settings and just change back and forth and find the one that your ears prefer and then just stick with it. Does sound great for sure.
Bleeding Edge and Dick_Lai like this.
post #7263 of 8062 Old 05-04-2019, 11:43 AM
NMG

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Might be a stupid question, but do I have to remove the existing ARC profile from my MRX 720 before uploading new profiles with Genesis? I've only used ARC mobile up to now, but now that Genesis is Mac compatible, I'll be using it instead. Plan to play around tonight and see how it changes everything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7264 of 8062 Old 05-04-2019, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG View Post
Might be a stupid question, but do I have to remove the existing ARC profile from my MRX 720 before uploading new profiles with Genesis? I've only used ARC mobile up to now, but now that Genesis is Mac compatible, I'll be using it instead. Plan to play around tonight and see how it changes everything [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
No, they will simply be overridden.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #7265 of 8062 Old 05-04-2019, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
Yep, I'm on that firmware version. No difference. Lots of hardware reboots and perhaps a dozen factory resets later, it looks like everything but networking is OK. Funny thing is this unit has networked with no issues since it was purchased in January 2017.
I think Anthem would replace that under warranty, they replaced mine when it wouldnt connect to PlayFi after many debugging sessions.
Bill-99 likes this.
post #7266 of 8062 Old 05-04-2019, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Here are my before and after Genesis graphs. Definitely different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Genesis Before and After.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	2562390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Genesis Before and After Full Sweep.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	2562392  

Processor: Anthem AVM-60 7.2.0
Amps: Rotel RB-1090, Rotel RMB-1095
Video: OPPO UDP-203, JVC DLA-RS600U, Silver Ticket 120" Screen
Speakers: 2-PSA MTM-210T L/R, PSA MTM-210C Center, 4-PSA MT110SR Surrounds
Subwoofers: 2-PSA S3611
post #7267 of 8062 Old 05-04-2019, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Man just go a chance to try Genesis out. Sounds alot better. Mid-range is amazing. Subwoofers have more punch

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
vollans likes this.
post #7268 of 8062 Old 05-04-2019, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Does anyone tried ARC genesis with mic's height variations and mic only at ears level ?

Does anyone noticed an improvement ?

B&W 802 D3 Classe CTM600 ANTHEM AVM60 Rythmik FV25HP

Last edited by JOSOSA; 05-05-2019 at 04:56 AM.
post #7269 of 8062 Old 05-04-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliasmd View Post
I am trying to configure using the ARC genesis (Anthem MRX 520) for Monolith 10 subwoofer. I had set to THX position, 0 phase but i keep getting error "Your subwoofer volme is too high. Please turn its volume down by about -3db and try again". If i set it in THX according to the website, it should be 0db.

Anyone know what should be my setting for Monolith subwoofer to calibrate?
I have two monolith 12's and they sound fine after running Genesis. I actually have more punchy accurate bass after running calibration. I did a quick measure on the subwoofers one at a time while adjusting the gain to get 75DB. Then I ran Genesis. After it does it's corrections if you want more bass go back into quick measure and turn the gain up about 5db or so.

post #7270 of 8062 Old 05-04-2019, 02:16 PM

This is what I followed to calibrate the subwoofers levels before ARC. Think it's page 21 or 22 in the owners manual. I just bump the gain(s) up some more to get the output I want

post #7271 of 8062 Old 05-04-2019, 02:31 PM

I did, no discernable difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSOSA View Post
Does anyone tried ARC genesis with mic's height variations and mic at only at ears level ?

JOSOSA likes this.
post #7272 of 8062 Old 05-04-2019, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondongon View Post
Quote:
Does anyone tried ARC genesis with mic's height variations and mic at only at ears level ?

The idea of it is to get a more three-dimensional measurement of the room.

post #7273 of 8062 Old 05-04-2019, 03:04 PM

Yes, that’s what the description said. Maybe setups with atmos may benefit . Sadly I only have 5.1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Quote:
Quote:

The idea of it is to get a more three-dimensional measurement of the room.
post #7274 of 8062 Old 05-04-2019, 03:13 PM

For giggles, download calibration file for my Mic S/N 330975 and try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanthomasfan View Post
post #7275 of 8062 Old 05-04-2019, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyndoug View Post
Don't know if this is the correct place to post this....I have an MRX 720 and am looking for a good remote to control it with AppleTV/Oppo 203/Directv4K. I had a Harmony One remote but changing inputs was difficult for the MRX. Now I have a Caavo and if it works it is great but I get issues seems like every few weeks and i've only had it a few months. Any suggestions for a remote with Wifi/RF etc..... oh and my components are in a cabinet. I'm not opposed to a custom remote if it is worth the money.

Thanks so much

Doug
Hi Doug, I'm using Harmony Elite with MRX720, works great! ...I doubt Logitech have different codes for certain remotes, but perhaps it worth trying the Harmony One again with a completely fresh setup from scratch to ensure you have the latest codes loaded?

Let us know how you get on!

Sources: NVidia Shield TV - Allo DigiOne Roon Endpoint - Panasonic UB-900
Audio: Anthem MRX-720 - Emotiva UPA1's - KEF R900's - Dual SVS-PB2000's (via MiniDSP 2x4)
Video: Panasonic TH-65DX900
FYI - I have NO affiliation with the media player 'Geek Wave' (cant change stupid name)
post #7276 of 8062 Old 05-04-2019, 03:47 PM
NMG

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Just got through running Genesis with my very old MacBook Pro that's ben taken out of commission (I knew I kept it around for a reason, LOL) and everything ran perfectly smooth. No hiccups whatsoever. Downloaded the software, launched it, hooked up the mic and went to it.

I had previously used ARC Mobile with my iPhone so it's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison, but one thing I noticed is that when I ran it with Genesis, it advised me that my sub volume was too high and that I should turn it down. It never did this with ARC Mobile and I hadn't touched the sub settings. After I turned the output down a bit, I continued running everything and it did its thing.

It definitely set the levels higher with Genesis than with ARC Mobile, but that's no biggie to me. I'll just adjust the volume as needed.

I've only briefly listened to some 2.1 channel music so far, but to me it definitely sounds better. The midrange clarity is improved and there is more depth to the soundstage. Imaging is also spot on. Bass also seems tighter and more defined. I had played around with my sub level after I used ARC Mobile because it was way too thin they way it was configured, but with Genesis it's good. Not boomy, not thin, just accurate.

I'm not sure how much of the difference is due to using the stand mount ARC mic vs. the internal iPhone mic being held up in the air in a haphazard way, or whether it's improvements to the algorithms and whatnot, but it sounds great to my ears!
post #7277 of 8062 Old 05-04-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I think Anthem would replace that under warranty, they replaced mine when it wouldnt connect to PlayFi after many debugging sessions.
@Bill-99
Mine is in for repair right now for that exact same reason. It's getting the board containing the NIC replaced.

Audio: Anthem MRX-720 - Emotiva UPA1's - KEF R900's - Dual SVS-PB2000's (via MiniDSP 2x4)
FYI - I have NO affiliation with the media player 'Geek Wave' (cant change stupid name)

Last edited by GeekWave; 05-04-2019 at 03:51 PM.
post #7278 of 8062 Old 05-04-2019, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers

Quote:
I thought the bass result was perfect from Genesis. I added some room gain with ARC2, but when I did with Genesis, it was too boomy. I took it back to the room gain Genesis set.

More bass does not mean accurate or better bass.

The only oddity to me is the higher speaker levels, but we'll get it figured out.

Love the more active surrounds and heights and better detail. Atmos got a lot better.

I agreed with Erod, I also thought the bass is fine (though a bit tamed to some taste) as far as the calibration goes. You may wish to play around with the extra advanced settings provided in the Genesis instead to see whether it can be even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by desray2k; 05-04-2019 at 04:30 PM.
post #7279 of 8062 Old 05-04-2019, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just played familiar scenes in Wonder Woman. Holy moly, I had to set the volume to -33 to keep the house together.

The levels are way cranked up. Sounds great, but the levels are overdone.

post #7280 of 8062 Old 05-04-2019, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
For giggles, download calibration file for my Mic S/N 330975 and try.
UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!

That worked.

I am sorry for the caps, but this is not acceptable. I will be calling Anthem tomorrow. @rondongon , do you have an idea why you asked me to try your speaker S/N? This is very arbitrary, I think. Is it downloading a calibration for my S/N mic from the Internet? If so, Anthem needs to add my S/N into the DB to make this work. If so, this is such a simple fix!!!

Thank you, rondongon!
post #7281 of 8062 Old 05-04-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanthomasfan View Post
... do you have an idea why you asked me to try your speaker S/N? This is very arbitrary, I think. Is it downloading a calibration for my S/N mic from the Internet? If so, Anthem needs to add my S/N into the DB to make this work. If so, this is such a simple fix!!!

Thank you, rondongon!
You are welcome, that is my MIC S/N, but you did the hard work, it was this that gave me the clue :
Quote:
Note: AUDIO_RECORDER[audio_recorder.cpp[54]]: Failed to load a curve correction for the 1b35_1004_mac measurements will not be calibrated (Calibration file version is newer than this program. Check for updates.).
"Critical audio problem. Please check the microphone and speaker connections."
stop
Genesis does download the MIC cal file after you enter your MIC S/N and saves it to ~/Library/Preferences/ARC Genesis/calibration_files/330975.cal

It seems from the surface that Genesis is checking the MIC calibration file version, and would not proceed if it does not support it. Though it makes little sense that it doesn't support yours. You can "Report an Issue" under "Help" in ARC Genesis. Anthem AV will later on ask you to do that on top of email/phone followup...

PS: you can download the old software and the cal file from https://www.anthemarc.com/downloads/index.php
Dylanthomasfan likes this.
post #7282 of 8062 Old 05-04-2019, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
You are welcome, that is my MIC S/N, but you did the hard work, it was this that gave me the clue :
PS: you can download the old software and the cal file from https://www.anthemarc.com/downloads/index.php
Thanks again, @rondongon and @cpreilly11 . Yes, I echo a number of others who have mentioned everything is hotter here. In my case, my LRC is all atleast +6dB (!!!) and the surrounds are +5 more. I guess my room is really just huge.

Anyway, I do also think the ARC system, when worked via a laptop is way more comprehensive. I like all the information that I get. I also think it sounds better and put together in the surround department. I was using the Anthem ARC iOS app before this; ARC genesis on my mac is better audio.

I will be checking out music tomorrow.
Bleeding Edge likes this.
post #7283 of 8062 Old 05-04-2019, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekWave View Post
Hi Doug, I'm using Harmony Elite with MRX720, works great! ...I doubt Logitech have different codes for certain remotes, but perhaps it worth trying the Harmony One again with a completely fresh setup from scratch to ensure you have the latest codes loaded?

Let us know how you get on!
THanks for the input....are you using IR or wifi/IP?
post #7284 of 8062 Old 05-05-2019, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyndoug View Post
THanks for the input....are you using IR or wifi/IP?
Im using IR.... Didn't know IP to Anthem was an option with Harmony?

post #7285 of 8062 Old 05-05-2019, 01:45 AM

Hi Guys, wondering if installing Genesis overwrites ARC-2 software? ...I'm using Win10, but want to be able to run both in these early days of Genesis just in case.

cheers

post #7286 of 8062 Old 05-05-2019, 01:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Guys, wondering if installing Genesis overwrites ARC-2 software? ...I'm using Win10, but want to be able to run both in these early days of Genesis just in case.

cheers

No it doesn’t. It is a separate installation folder by itself. It won’t overwrite the ARC 2.

GeekWave likes this.
post #7287 of 8062 Old 05-05-2019, 02:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just played familiar scenes in Wonder Woman. Holy moly, I had to set the volume to -33 to keep the house together.

The levels are way cranked up. Sounds great, but the levels are overdone.

I’m listening at -25db now. Sounds awesome and still bearable. LoL

post #7288 of 8062 Old 05-05-2019, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Im using IR.... Didn't know IP to Anthem was an option with Harmony?
Anthem also provides their own IP based app, as well they provide all IP commands to integrate in whatever software you wish (example, I have Siri control few aspects of my AV devices using HAP-Node.js).

For reference, https://www.anthemav.com/downloads/M...P%20RS-232.xls
post #7289 of 8062 Old 05-05-2019, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
ARC Genesis sets subwoofer trim to -12

Hello All,

I just tried calibration using genesis and so did not right. It sounded so thin and upon looking at trim levels my subwoofer is set to -12. I have dual sub and so went back and redid the calibration using arc2 and see the subwoofer trim set to 0 and sounded much better.

Before running calibration I level matched each sub individually to 72db. Does anyone have their sub set so low?

Thanks
Anand
post #7290 of 8062 Old 05-05-2019, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
@Bill-99
Mine is in for repair right now for that exact same reason. It's getting the board containing the NIC replaced.
That's good to know, thanks. I vaguely recall seeing others have NIC failures either on this or the AVM 60 thread. Never fun when it happens but I'm still under warranty so... fingers crossed and all that.

Just one more upgrade and things will be perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page