Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 244 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13149Likes

post #7291 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondongon View Post

Genesis does download the MIC cal file after you enter your MIC S/N and saves it to ~/Library/Preferences/ARC Genesis/calibration_files/330975.cal

It seems from the surface that Genesis is checking the MIC calibration file version, and would not proceed if it does not support it. Though it makes little sense that it doesn't support yours. You can "Report an Issue" under "Help" in ARC Genesis. Anthem AV will later on ask you to do that on top of email/phone followup...

PS: you can download the old software and the cal file from https://www.anthemarc.com/downloads/index.php
@rondongon , I checked ~/Library/Preferences/ARC Genesis/calibration_files this AM and I found two files in there; one for your S/N mic, fully populated (about 29K bytes). My file for my S/N mic? 8 bytes. (Yes, EIGHT bytes.) Inside, I see the string "NotFound". BTW, how can I read this calibration file? I saw another person compare the JSON file calibrations from before and after.

I have had this MRX 720 (purchased brand new) for less than one month (had this unit less than a month; had to return the first one sent to me owing to other issues). Why should I have to go through these hijinks to make this work? Is the ARC software still beta?

BTW, from the link you sent in your post, it appears like I was able to download the software for ARC, but it is not genesis. Am I not able to run genesis for my system and my S/N mic? The link, per Anthem, is clearly for ARC-1 products. My mic is listed as an ARC-1 Anthem on Sound Preferences. Is this not the mic that I should see shipped with my new Anthem MRX 720? I have many more questions now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7292 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanthomasfan View Post
@rondongon , I checked ~/Library/Preferences/ARC Genesis/calibration_files this AM and I found two files in there; one for your S/N mic, fully populated (about 29K bytes). My file for my S/N mic? 8 bytes. (Yes, EIGHT bytes.) Inside, I see the string "NotFound". BTW, how can I read this calibration file? I saw another person compare the JSON file calibrations from before and after.

The zip you downloaded contains the old software AND the calibration file for the Mic S/N you enter in that link. The Mic cal file is binary same for old/new ARC software. So check that Mic cal file in the downloaded zip, is it also 8bytes or regular size? If it's the latter, just simply copy it to the previous directory I listed on macOs and you're set.

If it's the former, then contact AnthemAV and tell them your mic cal file is invalid,... and they'll surely help you.

PS: The JSON like cal files are the ARC cal files, not the MIC cal file.
post #7293 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:

I have had this MRX 720 (purchased brand new) for less than one month (had this unit less than a month; had to return the first one sent to me owing to other issues). Why should I have to go through these hijinks to make this work? Is the ARC software still beta?

BTW, from the link you sent in your post, it appears like I was able to download the software for ARC, but it is not genesis. Am I not able to run genesis for my system and my S/N mic? The link, per Anthem, is clearly for ARC-1 products. My mic is listed as an ARC-1 Anthem on Sound Preferences. Is this not the mic that I should see shipped with my new Anthem MRX 720? I have many more questions now...
Did you download the file here-

https://www.anthemarc.com/downloads/index.php

As far as the mic file, it should be populated....

I really don't know what to tell you, I am having other issues with Genesis (critical audio error) that I can't find a solution for, and this is on a laptop that ran ARC1,2 numerous times over the past few years without any trouble....I'll probably wait till tomorrow and talk to support or just wait and keep ARC 2 till things straighten out....
Dylanthomasfan likes this.

Anthem MRX-720,Outlaw 7500 5ch amp, B&K ST 202 amp
Oppo BDP-103, Sony XBR-65X930D, Rotel RP-855, Phillips BDP-7501
Paradigm Studio 100 Fronts, Martin Logan Motion LX16 rears,Martin Logan Motion 2's
Paradigm Studio cc-590 Center, Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer, DefTech Supercube 4000
Roku Ultra, DIRECTV 4K Genie HR-54 DVR, C61K-700, OPPO Sonica DAC, Amazon Fire TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7294 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacari View Post
Did you download the file here-

https://www.anthemarc.com/downloads/index.php

As far as the mic file, it should be populated....

I really don't know what to tell you, I am having other issues with Genesis (critical audio error) that I can't find a solution for, and this is on a laptop that ran ARC1,2 numerous times over the past few years without any trouble....I'll probably wait till tomorrow and talk to support or just wait and keep ARC 2 till things straighten out....
I get that (re: copy the calibration file; and no, it is 29K, like @rondongon 's); it is the fact that my S/N is tied to an older ARC that worries me. Should I be bummed that my mic is an older model? Was it not OK to do ARC genesis (why then am I downloading it from the old hardware link)? Couple this with the other OSD SW version listing issues that I see (been in touch with Anthem already), these are not the gotchas you want when you drop serious money on audio equipment. I know an MRX 720 isn't exactly super expensive with this activity, but it is, to me. The least I expect from Anthem is that they package their product well and put the right mics in the right boxes.

But the sound from this receiver is very sweet, and as proof of my thinking on that front, an MCA 525 is on its way (hopefully by tomorrow). I just pray that it was (a) packaged well, and (b) doesn't show weird issues. Thankfully, there is less software on that product and I shouldn't see as many issues on it.
post #7295 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I’ll repeat again, the Mic calibration file is the same regardless wether the old or new Genesis ARC software is used. The download link I provided above is the only link I recall where you can get the mic calibration file manually. As to why Genesis does not download correctly some Mic cal files, who knows and folks need to report this by contacting Anthem either by phone, email or through ARC Genesis Help.

Arc Genesis is release 1.0.0, pretty much beta software, so issues are expected. GL.
Bill-99 likes this.
post #7296 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_raman View Post
Hello All,

I just tried calibration using genesis and so did not right. It sounded so thin and upon looking at trim levels my subwoofer is set to -12. I have dual sub and so went back and redid the calibration using arc2 and see the subwoofer trim set to 0 and sounded much better.

Before running calibration I level matched each sub individually to 72db. Does anyone have their sub set so low?

Thanks
Anand
I did the same as you but ended up with a +6 for my two SVS subs, which is higher than before.

I think it's taking much more thorough room measurements. Are you in a very small, square room with powerful subwoofers?

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #7297 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 82
My calibration data wouldn’t download, and support helped with the workaround until the bug gets fixed. I manually downloaded the legacy software from anthemav.com by entering my mic serial number. In the archive is a calibration file that I had to rename - remove the word Anthem from it so it was just 111111.cal - and then placed it in %localappdata%\ARC Genesis\calibration_files\ (this is normally a hidden folder but put that string in explorer and it shows up). After that everything worked great.
post #7298 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

It seems like 2 issues are going on with the Genesis install...first issue is the the app trying to find the mic file and the second issue (for me) is once the mic file is found a second issue appears, i.e., the "a failure message: "Critical audio problem. Please check the microphone and speaker connection." error...maybe they are associated errors...as, has been mentioned, this is ver 1.0......

Paradigm Studio 100 Fronts, Martin Logan Motion LX16 rears,Martin Logan Motion 2's
Paradigm Studio cc-590 Center, Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer, DefTech Supercube 4000
Roku Ultra, DIRECTV 4K Genie HR-54 DVR, C61K-700, OPPO Sonica DAC, Amazon Fire TV
post #7299 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
It seems like 2 issues are going on with the Genesis install...first issue is the the app trying to find the mic file and the second issue (for me) is once the mic file is found a second issue appears, i.e., the "a failure message: "Critical audio problem. Please check the microphone and speaker connection." error...maybe they are associated errors...as, has been mentioned, this is ver 1.0......

Did you rename the calibration file? Doing this fixed that error for me.
post #7300 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_raman View Post
Hello All,

I just tried calibration using genesis and so did not right. It sounded so thin and upon looking at trim levels my subwoofer is set to -12. I have dual sub and so went back and redid the calibration using arc2 and see the subwoofer trim set to 0 and sounded much better.

Before running calibration I level matched each sub individually to 72db. Does anyone have their sub set so low?

Thanks
Anand
Same experience here. The sound after Genesis pales severely in comparison to the ARC2 profile I was running. Too bright, thin, soundstage terrible. Bass virtually non-existent. Surrounds way too high. Subs set to -9 in the profile, but with a +3dB room gain set by Genesis, they ended up -6 when uploaded. I cranked up room gain to +6dB which helped some with low end, but everything else still lacked that balance and sparkle that I was used to with ARC2.

I used Anthem's suggestion of varying the mic height for measure 2 - 5. I never did that with ARC2. Maybe that's the problem. As soon as I get a spare hour, I am going to rerun Genesis keeping the mic at ear height for all 5 measures and see if that makes a difference.

I can confirm like many others have reported, everything was set +3db hot over my ARC2 profile, except for my subs.

The good news, Genesis recognized my mic s/n on the first try and had no trouble downloading the calibration file. As far as the mechanics of the process went, everything was flawless. No issue, no errors. Just less than thrilled with the settings that Genesis came up with.

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVR 60 | 5.2.4 Config: MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL X FL/FR, ESL C Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Motion 4i Atmos | Subs: Velodyne DD-15, Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x | Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 FL/C/FR, Emotiva A-700 Surrounds and Atmos

Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #7301 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
The mic failure you mention happened to me as well. I took it out to the stand and had it disconnected from the usb cord so I could see the serial number. After I entered the number and selected it it gave me the critical audio error. As soon as I plugged the usb back into the mic and refreshed the page everything ran fine.
post #7302 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Sounds like I will be sticking to ARC 2 for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jmacari likes this.

Boom Boom, out go the lights.
post #7303 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron5 View Post
The mic failure you mention happened to me as well. I took it out to the stand and had it disconnected from the usb cord so I could see the serial number. After I entered the number and selected it it gave me the critical audio error. As soon as I plugged the usb back into the mic and refreshed the page everything ran fine.
...that doesn't work in my situation....the app said it sees the mic when I keep hitting the refresh button in the app; if I unplug mic USB in laptop, it won't see it and then when I replug it, Genesis sees it..something else very weird is happening. Oh well, at least all my OPPO 103 demo ATMOS files sound wonderful (5.2.4), as they always have with ARC 2....

post #7304 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Just FYI. I’ve had no issues with mic or the genesis download and install. Watch a movie last night after running the program. Sounded great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Norris Kasey likes this.

JVC RS2000 : Panamorph DCR Lens : Screen Innovations 125" Slate 1.2 2.40.1
Anthem MRX 1120 : Kaleidescape Strato :Kaleidescape 24TB Server :Apple TV 4K
Oppo 203 : Xbox One X
Paradigm 95f , 55c, Paradigm Elite in wall surround and atmos speakers
SVS sb16 ultra x 3 : Emotiva XPA 3 DR 3 for LCR : Current Setup 7.3.4 Atmos : Control 4
post #7305 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyRider View Post
Same experience here. The sound after Genesis pales severely in comparison to the ARC2 profile I was running. Too bright, thin, soundstage terrible. Bass virtually non-existent. Surrounds way too high. Subs set to -9 in the profile, but with a +3dB room gain set by Genesis, they ended up -6 when uploaded. I cranked up room gain to +6dB which helped some with low end, but everything else still lacked that balance and sparkle that I was used to with ARC2.

I used Anthem's suggestion of varying the mic height for measure 2 - 5. I never did that with ARC2. Maybe that's the problem. As soon as I get a spare hour, I am going to rerun Genesis keeping the mic at ear height for all 5 measures and see if that makes a difference.

I can confirm like many others have reported, everything was set +3db hot over my ARC2 profile, except for my subs.

The good news, Genesis recognized my mic s/n on the first try and had no trouble downloading the calibration file. As far as the mechanics of the process went, everything was flawless. No issue, no errors. Just less than thrilled with the settings that Genesis came up with.
Strange. I got a lot more bass from the measurements and much more active surrounds and heights with Genesis.

Much to sort out in the early days.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #7306 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Just played familiar scenes in Wonder Woman. Holy moly, I had to set the volume to -33 to keep the house together.

The levels are way cranked up. Sounds great, but the levels are overdone.
Quote:
Thanks again, @rondongon and @cpreilly11 . Yes, I echo a number of others who have mentioned everything is hotter here. In my case, my LRC is all atleast +6dB (!!!) and the surrounds are +5 more. I guess my room is really just huge.
My experience with Genesis is similar as well. I had to turn the volume on both of my subwoofers down from 1/2 to 1/4 max to allow Genesis to proceed when measuring the subs, which had me worried that my bass would end up being thin. However, my LRC all ended up at +12(!!!) and my sub out ended up at +6. The results are stunning. I was never able to get my system to sound this good with ARC2. Ever. After I had to turn down my subs to get through the speaker measurements, I created additional profiles with the bass boosted to different levels in case the bass ended up being thin, but I don't think I'll be needing those additional profiles. The standard profile created by Genesis shakes my house like never before, dialog seems clearer, and my surrounds really came to life. I'm thoroughly impressed!
post #7307 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Anthem also provides their own IP based app, as well they provide all IP commands to integrate in whatever software you wish (example, I have Siri control few aspects of my AV devices using HAP-Node.js).

For reference, https://www.anthemav.com/downloads/M...P%20RS-232.xls
I'm aware that there's IP control for Anthem, I actually wrote a basic Anthem IP driver for an AMX control system while I was diagnosing some networking issues I was having with it.... My question was around weather or not Harmony had provided IP control in their library.

cheers

Sources: NVidia Shield TV - Allo DigiOne Roon Endpoint - Panasonic UB-900
Audio: Anthem MRX-720 - Emotiva UPA1's - KEF R900's - Dual SVS-PB2000's (via MiniDSP 2x4)
Video: Panasonic TH-65DX900
FYI - I have NO affiliation with the media player 'Geek Wave' (cant change stupid name)
post #7308 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Anthem 1120, external DAC and Play-Fi and ipad

Hi folks...

I’m having an integration issue with my 1120...I want to continue using play fi on my iPad but run an external DAC to the analog in’s on the 1120...Play-Fi seems to automatically go to the pre configured input which doesn’t seem to allow for (or at least I can’t figure it out) the integration of an external DAC...any ideas? Thanks folks...

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820
Triple black velvet bat cave
post #7309 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 269
It's not possible.

Play-Fi can only be used with internal DAC.
post #7310 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
It's not possible.

Play-Fi can only be used with internal DAC.
Thanks...Is there potentially an intermediary box that play fi can talk to that connects to an external DAC then to the 1120?

post #7311 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 04:47 PM
NMG

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Given all the talk about hot levels with Genesis, etc., I thought I'd go ahead and post the differences for my system between ARC Mobile and ARC Genesis:

ARC Mobile:

Front left: +1
Center: -1
Front right: +1
Surround right: +2
Surround left: +2
Sub: -8 (I adjusted it to -6 manually as I thought -8 was too thin)

ARC Genesis:

Front left: +8
Center: +6
Front right: +8
Surround right: +8
Surround left: +8
Sub: 0

With Genesis, I also had to turn my physical sub volume down from half as it was reading too hot for it to do the configuration. After doing some more critical listening last night, I can confirm that in my system Genesis is far superior. For music, the midrange is much better, detail and clarity is improved, and the sub digs deeper and has substantially more pitch definition.

For HT, I was quite frankly shocked at how well the integration improved amongst all of the speakers. The level of immersion and cohesion is amazing. My son and I watched The Great Wall today (awful movie btw, LOL) and I could've sworn someone had inserted rear surrounds and height speakers into my 5.1 system. The sound field was sublime.

Last edited by NMG; 05-05-2019 at 04:55 PM.
post #7312 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
Thanks...Is there potentially an intermediary box that play fi can talk to that connects to an external DAC then to the 1120?
You can't get digital output from MRX when Play-Fi is playing.

The only way would be to buy some other streamer box. But in that case, I would skip Play-Fi.
post #7313 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
You can't get digital output from MRX when Play-Fi is playing.

The only way would be to buy some other streamer box. But in that case, I would skip Play-Fi.
Thanks again...what would u recommend then as an inexpensive streamer that I can connect to a DAC then to the 1120? I mainly use Tidal so perhaps I can just run the Tidal app from my iPad and skip play fi altogether...

post #7314 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks again...what would u recommend then as an inexpensive streamer that I can connect to a DAC then to the 1120? I mainly use Tidal so perhaps I can just run the Tidal app from my iPad and skip play fi altogether...

Bluesound Node2i

post #7315 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis-g View Post
Bluesound Node2i

Thanks, that’s $700 in Canada...looking to spend less than that as it’s just an intermediary box to allow access from iPad and to connect a DAC to...

post #7316 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks, that’s $700 in Canada...looking to spend less than that as it’s just an intermediary box to allow access from iPad and to connect a DAC to...

I personally use a Dragonfly Red connected to my iPad and then into the analog in.

post #7317 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I personally use a Dragonfly Red connected to my iPad and then into the analog in.

Thanks, with what control app? Tidal? Would the Dragonfly red have a better DAC than the 1120?

post #7318 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks, with what control app? Tidal? Would the Dragonfly red have a better DAC than the 1120?

Not sure. It uses a Sabre DAC and it sounds good. I think the Anthem uses an AKM. I guess what’s better would be a personal preference.

asharma likes this.

post #7319 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Not sure. It uses a Sabre DAC and it sounds good. I think the Anthem uses an AKM. I guess what’s better would be a personal preference.

I just use Spotify from my iPad, but you can use Tidal.

asharma likes this.

post #7320 of 8049 Old 05-05-2019, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Anthem also provides their own IP based app, as well they provide all IP commands to integrate in whatever software you wish (example, I have Siri control few aspects of my AV devices using HAP-Node.js).

For reference, https://www.anthemav.com/downloads/M...P%20RS-232.xls
Thanks....so it sounds like the Harmony Hub will send those commands via wifi? That would make my life easier as I could not seem to get IR to work switching sources on my MRX 720.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page