Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 247 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13156Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7381 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 07:17 AM
Senior Member
 
bokap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
As HeffeMusic called out, video should be a pass-thru. Just a thought... Have you tried directly connecting your video source to your TV to see if Dolby Vision is working? Maybe there's some config issue that has nothing to do with the Anthem gear? Also, are you using only certified high speed HDMI cables along the entire video path?
I had my dealer set up system. They are not through yet so I will have them go over some settings. I am sure the cables are HDMI certified, all new.
It is possible the Dolby Vision is working as when I pick movies on Netflix I can see that they are Dolby Vision. Maybe if it was not enabled it would not show Dolby Vision.
Video though looks the same as the shows that are not Dolby Vision.
When they come back, I will make sure that that the Anthem updates are done, maybe that's the issue
bokap is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7382 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 07:25 AM
Senior Member
 
bokap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post
In addition to the other suggestions, if it came from dealer stock, rather than fresh from Anthem, check you are up to date on the firmware. Dolby Vision passthrough support was added in v13079_2017_08_03.fw
That's what I think. I know that the installer did not use USB stick on updates. The installer is coming back to do more installation work and I will ask if the firmware has been updated via USB. I also doubt if the ARC update was done so I have to find out about that
bokap is offline  
post #7383 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 07:29 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Hello all, I am currently running the preouts from my MRX 720 to an MCA 525, and I was wondering if it is appropriate or "legit" to also use the receivers' amp's (say, in a bi-amping situation). Any input is appreciated.
Dylanthomasfan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7384 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 08:02 AM
Member
 
anand_raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_raman View Post
Hello All,

I just tried calibration using genesis and so did not right. It sounded so thin and upon looking at trim levels my subwoofer is set to -12. I have dual sub and so went back and redid the calibration using arc2 and see the subwoofer trim set to 0 and sounded much better.

Before running calibration I level matched each sub individually to 72db. Does anyone have their sub set so low?

Thanks
Anand

Okay...Take two....

I reran the genesis again and got much better results now with some minor issues. Here are the changes compared to my previous calibration:

1. Used windows laptop and copied the mic calibration file manually as outlined in one of the threads since the application could not find the files at runtime. Last time used a mac - not sure if that mattered.
2. Did not vary the height of the mic at different positions as suggested in the documentation.

With those the speakers were set to hot as most have experienced by +2 and my sub was at 0 and not -12! I didn't get a chance to do any critical listening yet but from a brief listen in I felt the sound to be more full and bass was even more controlled.

Issues:
- During the calibration I experienced "critical audio error" as well at my 6th position but clicking on resume few times got it going. This is the first time I experienced such an issue and never had that using ARC2.
- While saving the measurements to system first time experienced network error and upon few retries it went well. Again I have not had that issue before
- Most importantly, once I uploaded the measurements my preassigned inputs were not working. Meaning I can see them but if I select an input and click ok in the remote nothing was happening. I powered off the system and turned it back on and then it started to work as I was able to switch between my predefined inputs. It was weird.


Overall happy camper now and look forward to give it a critical listen.
anand_raman is offline  
post #7385 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bill-99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,482
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokap View Post
I had my dealer set up system. They are not through yet so I will have them go over some settings. I am sure the cables are HDMI certified, all new.
It is possible the Dolby Vision is working as when I pick movies on Netflix I can see that they are Dolby Vision. Maybe if it was not enabled it would not show Dolby Vision.
Video though looks the same as the shows that are not Dolby Vision.
When they come back, I will make sure that that the Anthem updates are done, maybe that's the issue
To be clear, this isn't about how new the cables are: it's about technical capability of the cable itself. You might be surprised at how many people trip over this on this thread. It's on page 10 of the manual. You're probably OK but asking your dealer what was used is free. These cables are also inexpensive: about $5 from Monoprice, for example.

One other thought... Since your dealer is setting this up, it might be worth asking them to demonstrate to you that DV is working and how you can tell DV from non-DV content.
Bittermidget likes this.

Just one more upgrade and things will be perfect.
Bill-99 is offline  
post #7386 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 08:20 AM
Member
 
Bauer83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmfellows View Post
You're not alone. I ran Genesis and it set the crossovers for my front speakers at 250hz. My fronts are GE Triton2+ with FR down to (measured) 20 or so Hz in my room. I'm not sure, but looking at the graphs showed a large null around 200 or so that I guess the filters didn't want to correct for. I had more Db at 40 hz than 140. I have since slightly changed the positioning of the speakers and turned the amplifiers down to 30 percent or so (from 50) and after re-running Genesis, the crossovers were set at 80. I was using the auto/quick (non advanced) program. I can live happily with 80 hz (same as my rear speakers, Triton 7s) and am thrilled with the results over Arc2. Like others have mentioned, Genesis set my levels about 6db higher compared with Arc2.
Thanks for the response, and I had reached out to Anthem yesterday and they mentioned the dip was driving the crossover issues. I was able to reposition the speakers slightly to the point where the curve flattened (still had an odd dip), but ultimately it drove the crossover point down to 80 Hz. Sound was quite impressive on the re-run settings, and will spend more time tonight with some Atmos soundtracks to compare.
Bauer83 is offline  
post #7387 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 09:16 AM
Member
 
ZubairA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Ramon, CA
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanthomasfan View Post
Hello all, I am currently running the preouts from my MRX 720 to an MCA 525, and I was wondering if it is appropriate or "legit" to also use the receivers' amp's (say, in a bi-amping situation). Any input is appreciated.
Hello:

I have an MRX 1120 and an MCA 525. I am bi-amping via the MCA 525 not using the 1120 amps. From what I understand, unfortunately, you cannot reassign the unused amps on the receiver to use for bi-amping.

You may already know how to do this but here is something that was posted on Anthem's Facebook page on how to bi-amp using an external amp:


Regards,

Zubair
Dylanthomasfan likes this.

Last edited by ZubairA; 05-08-2019 at 09:51 AM.
ZubairA is offline  
post #7388 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 09:36 AM
Senior Member
 
bokap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
To be clear, this isn't about how new the cables are: it's about technical capability of the cable itself. You might be surprised at how many people trip over this on this thread. It's on page 10 of the manual. You're probably OK but asking your dealer what was used is free. These cables are also inexpensive: about $5 from Monoprice, for example.

One other thought... Since your dealer is setting this up, it might be worth asking them to demonstrate to you that DV is working and how you can tell DV from non-DV content.
Cables are all good. It's all on the invoice. UHD/4K HDMI
I did ask installer about Dolby Vision and he said Anthem can't do it. I know it can, maybe after he updates firmware which I will insist he does with USB stick
nucky likes this.
bokap is offline  
post #7389 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bill-99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,482
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokap View Post
Cables are all good. It's all on the invoice. UHD/4K HDMI
I did ask installer about Dolby Vision and he said Anthem can't do it. I know it can, maybe after he updates firmware which I will insist he does with USB stick
Perhaps it's just me. It doesn't inspire confidence in the installer when he doesn't know the capabilities of the gear he's installing. OTOH this thread is populated by lots of people with Anthem expertise. Perhaps he can't know all gear. But still...
Bittermidget and bokap like this.

Just one more upgrade and things will be perfect.
Bill-99 is offline  
post #7390 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 09:48 AM
Senior Member
 
bokap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
Perhaps it's just me. It doesn't inspire confidence in the installer when he doesn't know the capabilities of the gear he's installing. OTOH this thread is populated by lots of people with Anthem expertise. Perhaps he can't know all gear. But still...
I agree. The installer did a fantastic job in installing the equipment, He's not done, it's a large project. The quality of the install has been great. I have had a lot of doubts though about the set up of Anthem and ARC. He said he would do the firmware and software updates when he comes back but I don't think he would have thought about it if I hadn't brought it up to a service guy that came to the house yesterday to check on the remotes. I think he will do it now. The service guy told me the installer is an expert with Anthem as the company mostly sells them and he sets them up. Hopefully when he comes back the firmware and updates will fix the issues I have
bokap is offline  
post #7391 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,643
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokap View Post
Cables are all good. It's all on the invoice. UHD/4K HDMI
I did ask installer about Dolby Vision and he said Anthem can't do it. I know it can, maybe after he updates firmware which I will insist he does with USB stick
It definitely passes Dolby Vision. I'm using an MRX 720 to pass DV to my Visio in the room next to our theater with one of the two HDMI outs. The other out is used for the projector which of course doesn't do DV. It's passing it straight through to the TV without any changes. The only thing it can't do with DV is display the on screen menus. The Anthem doesn't do any video processing so it passed straight through as if the Anthem wasn't even in the signal path.
bokap likes this.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread

Last edited by Legairre; 05-08-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Legairre is offline  
post #7392 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 10:19 AM
Member
 
kmfellows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer83 View Post
Thanks for the response, and I had reached out to Anthem yesterday and they mentioned the dip was driving the crossover issues. I was able to reposition the speakers slightly to the point where the curve flattened (still had an odd dip), but ultimately it drove the crossover point down to 80 Hz. Sound was quite impressive on the re-run settings, and will spend more time tonight with some Atmos soundtracks to compare.
Glad to hear. I'm no sound engineer, but I know it's easier to tame a peak than fill in a major null (which requires doubling power for every 3 db increase, yes?). The upside is it got me to rethink my speaker amp settings (on the built in speaker amps) and placement which ultimately benefited me. Listened to "Roy Orbison Black and White Night (blu ray)" after Genesis and was stunned at the audio quality. In fairness, my ARC2 settings were likely not optimized (run once over a year ago after installing the MRX 1120). I do like the UI better too.
kmfellows is offline  
post #7393 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 10:24 AM
Member
 
Bauer83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmfellows View Post
Glad to hear. I'm no sound engineer, but I know it's easier to tame a peak than fill in a major null (which requires doubling power for every 3 db increase, yes?). The upside is it got me to rethink my speaker amp settings (on the built in speaker amps) and placement which ultimately benefited me. Listened to "Roy Orbison Black and White Night (blu ray)" after Genesis and was stunned at the audio quality. In fairness, my ARC2 settings were likely not optimized (run once over a year ago after installing the MRX 1120). I do like the UI better too.
What specifically do you mean, it had you rethink the speaker amp settings in the built in speaker amps? Am I missing something else that may possibly be able to help flatten the curve even further?

I have a MRX 720 for clarity.
Bauer83 is offline  
post #7394 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 10:53 AM
Member
 
kmfellows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer83 View Post
What specifically do you mean, it had you rethink the speaker amp settings in the built in speaker amps? Am I missing something else that may possibly be able to help flatten the curve even further?

I have a MRX 720 for clarity.
Sorry if I wasn't clear...I was referring to the 1200 watt subwoofers built into my GoldenEar Technology Triton 2 plus front speakers. I had the gain set at 50 percent (half way around the dial anyway) but turned them down and tried moving them out somewhat from the wall (I had too much bass, some from being so close to a wall), and playing with the toe-in (I have them pretty severely toed in per Sandy Gross recommendations, tweeters pointed at ears). I was using the quick measure that does single speaker frequency sweeps while doing this so I could watch what impact what I was doing was having on speaker response in the room. While I never could get rid of the nulls, I was able to raise them enough that my (Anthem software set) crossovers went from 250 hz to 110 and then 80hz. I was also able to flatten out my subwoofer response so that it was flat to 15 hz (Power Sound Audio sealed sub with dual drivers). If you haven't used the "quick measure", it's pretty handy to see in real time what freq responses you get by measuring from different locations, or by repositioning (if possible) the speaker etc. For the record, I did try the new recommendation to take measurements (after first one) from slightly above and below ear level. I don't know if that helped or not, but I figure if the geniuses at Anthem said to do it, it is probably for a beneficial reason.
kmfellows is offline  
post #7395 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 12:13 PM
Senior Member
 
bokap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
It definitely passes Dolby Vision. I'm using an MRX 720 to pass DV to my Visio in the room next to our theater with one of the two HDMI outs. The other out is used for the projector which of course doesn't do DV. It's passing it straight through to the TV without any changes. The only thing it can't do with DV is display the on screen menus. The Anthem doesn't do any video processing so it passed straight through as if the Anthem wasn't even in the signal path.
I think he set up Apple TV with HDMI3. Shouldn’t it be HDMI 1? Also I need to check that Apple TV is set up with Ethernet
bokap is offline  
post #7396 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,643
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokap View Post
I think he set up Apple TV with HDMI3. Shouldn’t it be HDMI 1? Also I need to check that Apple TV is set up with Ethernet
The inputs are assignable so it doesn't' matter which HDMI he assigns to apple TV.
bokap likes this.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is offline  
post #7397 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 12:27 PM
Senior Member
 
bokap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
The inputs are assignable so it doesn't' matter which HDMI he assigns to apple TV.
Ok, that's good info so that I don't bother him with which HDMI input. Today I was have a problem with Atmos and Netflix. I lost Atmos for awhile and if he set up Apple TV via wifi, that could be the issue
bokap is offline  
post #7398 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
Williams2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Arc Genesis sounds like it needs a lot of work. My system sounds amazing already with Arc 2, so I think I'll wait at least 6 months to do Genesis, if ever. Maybe the bugs will be worked out by then.
Dylanthomasfan likes this.
Williams2 is offline  
post #7399 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,643
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams2 View Post
Arc Genesis sounds like it needs a lot of work. My system sounds amazing already with Arc 2, so I think I'll wait at least 6 months to do Genesis, if ever. Maybe the bugs will be worked out by then.
It's working great and is a big improvement on ARC2. Why do you think it needs a lot of works?

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is offline  
post #7400 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 12:42 PM
Senior Member
 
bokap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
It's working great and is a big improvement on ARC2. Why do you think it needs a lot of works?
I have another Anthem 1120 question. I signed up for highest quality of Tidal. It plays through the Anthem. Will Anthem play back the MQA files or would I get better Tidal sound quality if I bought a Bluesound Node 2i. Thanks
bokap is offline  
post #7401 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 01:01 PM
Member
 
Bittermidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokap View Post
I have another Anthem 1120 question. I signed up for highest quality of Tidal. It plays through the Anthem. Will Anthem play back the MQA files or would I get better Tidal sound quality if I bought a Bluesound Node 2i. Thanks
The AVM60 does not decode or transcode MQA in the digital domain, so if you want to play that format through the Anthem, you will need an additional device. The Node2/2i would of course work for this.
bokap likes this.

JVC DLA-X790R, Seymour AV Centerstage UF 2.40:1 tensioned electric screen w/ motorized masking, Anthem AVM 60, Jim Holtz Statements L/C/R, SVS SB-16 Ultra (X2), Oppo UDP-203, Parasound Halo A-21, Parasound Halo A-51, Bluesound Node 2i, miniDSP 2X4 HD, NVIDIA Shield 2015, QNAP 453Pro
Bittermidget is offline  
post #7402 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 01:03 PM
Senior Member
 
bokap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokap View Post
I have another Anthem 1120 question. I signed up for highest quality of Tidal. It plays through the Anthem. Will Anthem play back the MQA files or would I get better Tidal sound quality if I bought a Bluesound Node 2i. Thanks
Thanks great info for me
bokap is offline  
post #7403 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
gdfein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Where is this sale offered? I see 2499 online for 720 still.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gdfein is offline  
post #7404 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 02:00 PM
Senior Member
 
HarleyRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Far north Chicago suburbs
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams2 View Post
Arc Genesis sounds like it needs a lot of work. My system sounds amazing already with Arc 2, so I think I'll wait at least 6 months to do Genesis, if ever. Maybe the bugs will be worked out by then.
It doesn't need a lot of work, but it is kind of random right now with who can get it to work and who can't. Unfortunately there are so many variables out there to affect that -- different laptops/PC's/Macs, different OS versions, different software and patches installed, different Anthem firmware versions installed. And you can't rule out UKI -- user keyboard interface -- issues. In other words, user error. For me personally, it has worked flawlessly from the first try. No issues installing, no issues recognizing my mic, no issues running sweeps, no issues uploading profiles. I've done two runs of measures, several curve recalcs and uploads to my AVM 60, and one full run on my Martin Logan sub which also has ARC built in. Not one issue. Now, as for the night and day difference in sound that many are reporting? So far not really seeing it. For me, it's at least as good as ARC2, certainly more flexible and more options for tweaking, but not revolutionary when it comes down to the resulting sound. No proverbial veil was lifted, no angels came down from home theater heaven strumming golden harps, no unicorns shooting rainbows out of their noses suddenly appeared... If you've put a lot of time into setting up your room and squeezing every last ounce out of an ARC2 calibration, you may not see a revolutionary difference, either. Just my $.02.
Bleeding Edge likes this.

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVR 60 | 5.2.4 Config: MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL X FL/FR, ESL C Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Motion 4i Atmos | Subs: Velodyne DD-15, Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x | Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 FL/C/FR, Emotiva A-700 Surrounds and Atmos

Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
HarleyRider is offline  
post #7405 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,807
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams2 View Post
Arc Genesis sounds like it needs a lot of work. My system sounds amazing already with Arc 2, so I think I'll wait at least 6 months to do Genesis, if ever. Maybe the bugs will be worked out by then.
It's a significant improvement already. Worked for me first try.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is offline  
post #7406 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 02:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
These days I've spent a lot of time listening to the stereo music (lossless including hi-res) and I must say that ARC really takes some magic away from the sound. There is no doubt. Even when max EQ is limited to lower values - e.g. 300 Hz. The sound with ARC has somewhat lower resolution, lacks ultimate details, it's a little grainy, the soundstage is not rendered as good as without ARC. The difference is not dramatic, of course.

I was (too) impressed with almost perfect bass frequency range that I was willing to "forgive" a slight loss in other fields.
At the beginning, I've listened only full range Dynaudios in mode without ARC, because subwoofer was not properly integrated. And I preferred the sound with subwoofers and ARC.
But, once I've integrated and optimized subwoofers manually, without ARC, using PEQs and brought them to the level I had with ARC - well, that's another story. Just to add that even with ARC I had to manually fine tune FR using PEQs and phase on subwoofers, since I have a pretty "difficult" room.

BTW, since ARC limited to 300Hz still affects higher frequencies I wasn't sure what to expect from bass management (high pass filter), because the signal goes through the same DSP. Fortunately, high pass filter is not so "destructive" as ARC.

At the end, Anthem's sound in stereo mode is really good (I'm using MRX 720 as preamp for front channels) - but as some other members here, I also find it better without ARC.
Oh hell, yes. On my MRX 720 with MCA 525, stereo music without ARC is just way better. My listening is a lot of classical, pop & jazz & rock. On the violin sonatas (Lucy van Dael/Corelli (Naxos; Tidal->Sonos connect->MRX 720 (optical in)->MCA 525->PSB X2Ts) the organ and the van Dael's violin just pop out. On Bobby McFerrin's "Heaven's design" the sound is just so nice I am in love.
Delija likes this.
Dylanthomasfan is offline  
post #7407 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 02:53 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekWave View Post
Thanks for that Delija, you've clearly put the hard work in to laying down a great foundation!
Based on your response, I'm really looking forward to moving into our new place next month where all my gear will be setup in a dedicated room, optimally positioned and acoustically treated. So I look forward to being able to compare the difference between the ARC on/off options then, when some of the physics is playing more nicely.
I can echo @Delija and the others re: ARC + music. Just way better without ARC. For my tastes, i.e. At the very least, folks who listen to a lot of music should try with and without. The good news about the MRX 720 is that you can create several inputs with ARC turned on etc. so you can do an A/B easily.
GeekWave and Delija like this.
Dylanthomasfan is offline  
post #7408 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
Delija's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NS
Posts: 599
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanthomasfan View Post
Oh hell, yes. On my MRX 720 with MCA 525, stereo music without ARC is just way better. My listening is a lot of classical, pop & jazz & rock. On the violin sonatas (Lucy van Dael/Corelli (Naxos; Tidal->Sonos connect->MRX 720 (optical in)->MCA 525->PSB X2Ts) the organ and the van Dael's violin just pop out. On Bobby McFerrin's "Heaven's design" the sound is just so nice I am in love.
Have you tried Tidal and UPnP through DTS Play-Fi? Without MQA, of course.
Delija is offline  
post #7409 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 03:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Norris Kasey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Try Qobuz ;-)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Norris Kasey is offline  
post #7410 of 8082 Old 05-08-2019, 03:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
Have you tried Tidal and UPnP through DTS Play-Fi? Without MQA, of course.
I love plenty of things about Anthem, but Play-Fi has to be one of the most frustrating things about them (I find they have miles to go with respect to software features and maybe even firmware quality, but boy is their audio good!). They have no control over Play-Fi, sadly. I find it juvenile design to have to stream via your phone for Tidal, when Spotify, with it's obviously low quality stream, gets directly streamed. The only solution that worked for me is the Sonos solution (obviously no MQA streaming, only CD quality streaming), which seems quite OK for me, though I'd like to really have a solid streaming solution (Bluesound node may work for me, but I really want everything to connect to my other audio solution which is basically everywhere in my home: Sonos).

So, yes, I have tried Play-Fi with Tidal (I have the high quality service) and UPnP (my Plex media server has DLNA enabled and houses some of my hires music). Not happy with it at all. Clunky and unintuitive. I dont have anything nice to say about it. Except that is the only way I can play my hires audio from my DLNA-enabled Plex Media Server. Maybe that's what it is meant to be: not terribly convenient because music listening should be a highly deliberate thing.
Delija likes this.
Dylanthomasfan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off