Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 249 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13225Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7441 of 8329 Old 05-09-2019, 07:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Norris Kasey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 70
The point is the wifi sucks in the mrx lineup. Streaming hi-res using it is unstable when you get into 192. I have tried using my laptop to send 192 from qobuz. Unfortunately windows play fi will not do 24/192. The highest quality windows will play is 24/96. Only the mobile app offers 24/192 in critical listening mode and it's drops like crazy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Norris Kasey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7442 of 8329 Old 05-09-2019, 07:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Norris Kasey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I was thinking maybe a external play-fi device with a good wifi card connected to the mrx720 would be the fix to get the a stable connection for hi-res

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
ManMower likes this.
Norris Kasey is offline  
post #7443 of 8329 Old 05-09-2019, 07:33 PM
Member
 
ManMower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris Kasey View Post
The point is the wifi sucks in the mrx lineup. Streaming hi-res using it is unstable when you get into 192. I have tried using my laptop to send 192 from qobuz. Unfortunately windows play fi will not do 24/192. The highest quality windows will play is 24/96. Only the mobile app offers 24/192 in critical listening mode and it's drops like crazy.
Hey, sloooow down. Let's not be too hard on the wifi - the wired connection sucks too.

I think if Anthem hadn't included play-fi at all quite a few people would be happier because they wouldn't have been misled into thinking these things have some kind of reasonable streaming capabilities. They'd just have purchased external streaming devices.

Now many people pretty much have to buy those devices anyway, or put up with terrible bugs and keep hoping the next play-fi update will somehow not suck.

I've already wasted more hours on play-fi than a cheap streamer would've cost me. I'm done with it.
Bittermidget and Norris Kasey like this.
ManMower is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7444 of 8329 Old 05-09-2019, 07:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Norris Kasey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 70
The question I have are there any streamers that can be connected to the receiver that allow high res

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Norris Kasey is offline  
post #7445 of 8329 Old 05-09-2019, 07:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Norris Kasey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I do have a external DAC with digital inputs and analog outs I could use with a laptop. Just a messy solution

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Norris Kasey is offline  
post #7446 of 8329 Old 05-09-2019, 09:07 PM
Member
 
Quattro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bloomington, MN
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
I agree. DTS Play-Fi is crap.
Have you heard Bluesound in action? Curious how it compares.
Quattro is offline  
post #7447 of 8329 Old 05-09-2019, 11:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Nice, France
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Do me a favor. Go to the ARC targets menu for one Profile and set room gain to 0.0. Even when you set ARC to stop at 200 to 500 Hz, that's still part of the equation. Upload then compare. What do you hear?

No.
Tried 0 gain, OMG why does that sound sooooo good vs 3 db gain ? ? ?

It removes the "boomyness" and I found definition and balance, just have to raise sub by 3db
GeekWave likes this.

B&W 802 D3 Classe CTM600 ANTHEM AVM60 Rythmik FV25HP
JOSOSA is offline  
post #7448 of 8329 Old 05-10-2019, 03:26 AM
Member
 
GeekWave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Do me a favor. Go to the ARC targets menu for one Profile and set room gain to 0.0. Even when you set ARC to stop at 200 to 500 Hz, that's still part of the equation. Upload then compare. What do you hear?
I hear AWESOMENESS!!!! ....Boom!!!

By default, ARC was setting 6dB room gain, I've only had the unit for a short while and hadn't played with that parameter. So I set it to 0dB, which as you know ditched the low-freq boost on all channels including fronts. The sound stage opened up with all the dynamics and presence I experienced with ARC off.

The only (temporary) downside, was the lack of bass/slam/kick. To fix this I knocked the sub output back up 6dB to makeup for the room gain decrease as I see others have done. Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
You can't properly compare simply by turning ARC on and off after uploading your ARC solution. That's because the ARC solution uses higher speaker levels which are then attenuated by the room response corrections to get things back to the the intended level. When you turn ARC off, the higher speaker levels are still in the settings, but the room response corrections are no longer being applied.

Thus ARC OFF is a bit louder. And louder sounds better.
Indeed there was a bit of this happening too, about 4dB variation. After changing to the 0dB room gain setting mentioned above, I switched between ARC on/off by creating an identical profile with boosted levels for ARC-ON and created a second input to toggle between the two.

Toggling between the two, I can now honestly say that I prefer ARC on, it seems to have all the presence I enjoyed with ARC off and in addition it sounds more 3-dimensional, with better staging and clarity, less smearing. AND it has the super-tight bass integration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSOSA View Post
Tried 0 gain, OMG why does that sound sooooo good vs 3 db gain ? ? ?

It removes the "boomyness" and I found definition and balance, just have to raise sub by 3db
I know right?


So, I'm really curious to know how this seems to have made such a difference. Here's my two guesses/theories in order of belief:
1. the room gain applied to the fronts created a boomyness, by increasing low frequencies in locations that are not optimal (as opposed to location of subs). Big muddy bass ruins everything else and can cause some kinda psych-acoustic interferance
2. Boosting lower freqs too much caused the front speakers to over-work on lower range, which can mess-up the drivers mid-to-upper range performance?

What do you guys reckon? ...feel free to de-bunk my theories and offer other explanations if any 👍

And thanks heaps for the tips guys!... I'm a very happy camper right now!
Summa likes this.

Sources: NVidia Shield TV - Allo DigiOne Roon Endpoint - Panasonic UB-900
Audio: Anthem MRX-720 - Emotiva UPA1's - KEF R900's - Dual SVS-PB2000's (via MiniDSP 2x4)
Video: Panasonic TH-65DX900
FYI - I have NO affiliation with the media player 'Geek Wave' (cant change stupid name)
GeekWave is offline  
post #7449 of 8329 Old 05-10-2019, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
Delija's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NS
Posts: 629
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris Kasey View Post
The point is the wifi sucks in the mrx lineup. Streaming hi-res using it is unstable when you get into 192. I have tried using my laptop to send 192 from qobuz. Unfortunately windows play fi will not do 24/192. The highest quality windows will play is 24/96. Only the mobile app offers 24/192 in critical listening mode and it's drops like crazy.
Wi-Fi is not the cause of issues.

I've tried Android emulator on PC and it's the same - 192/24 and 176.4/24 don't work.

Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V
Delija is offline  
post #7450 of 8329 Old 05-10-2019, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
Delija's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NS
Posts: 629
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Have you heard Bluesound in action? Curious how it compares.
I don't have problems with the sound quality, but with functionality and stability/bugs.

Bluesound has much better implementation and software, but doesn't support UPnP.
For me, UPnP is mandatory.

Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V
Delija is offline  
post #7451 of 8329 Old 05-10-2019, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
Delija's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NS
Posts: 629
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekWave View Post
1. the room gain applied to the fronts created a boomyness, by increasing low frequencies in locations that are not optimal (as opposed to location of subs). Big muddy bass ruins everything else and can cause some kinda psych-acoustic interferance

2. Boosting lower freqs too much caused the front speakers to over-work on lower range, which can mess-up the drivers mid-to-upper range performance?
Every lower frequency sound has it's higher frequency components (harmonics). Muddy (mid)bass causes muddy mids and highs.

The point of room correction algorithm is to "remove" the muddiness. With proper settings ARC does very good job. But not 100% perfect


BTW, spend some more time for with/without ARC comparison, even with 0 dB room gain...
GeekWave likes this.

Last edited by Delija; 05-10-2019 at 05:14 AM.
Delija is offline  
post #7452 of 8329 Old 05-10-2019, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bimmerfreak0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Oblivion
Posts: 1,029
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Looking at purchasing a 520 or 720. I have a 2.2 setup of GoldenEar Triton 2's. Any tips or tricks or known issues beyond what appears to be a serious gimp in wifi/ethernet capabilities as noted above?
bimmerfreak0 is offline  
post #7453 of 8329 Old 05-10-2019, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,859
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Do me a favor. Go to the ARC targets menu for one Profile and set room gain to 0.0. Even when you set ARC to stop at 200 to 500 Hz, that's still part of the equation. Upload then compare. What do you hear?
Why is this? My room gain set to 1.85 after running ARC. You're getting better bass by removing that measurement?

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is offline  
post #7454 of 8329 Old 05-10-2019, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,517
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2977 Post(s)
Liked: 1741
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSOSA View Post
Tried 0 gain, OMG why does that sound sooooo good vs 3 db gain ? ? ?
It removes the "boomyness" and I found definition and balance, just have to raise sub by 3db
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekWave View Post
I hear AWESOMENESS!!!! ....Boom!!!

By default, ARC was setting 6dB room gain, I've only had the unit for a short while and hadn't played with that parameter. So I set it to 0dB, which as you know ditched the low-freq boost on all channels including fronts. The sound stage opened up with all the dynamics and presence I experienced with ARC off.

The only (temporary) downside, was the lack of bass/slam/kick. To fix this I knocked the sub output back up 6dB to makeup for the room gain decrease as I see others have done. Bingo!
Glad to see you guys are enjoying better sound.

Here's another idea. Rather than raising the subwoofer gain trim to compensate for weaker bass after reducing room gain, use the Deep Bass Boost control in the global targets. Use 40 Hz for boost of 1-3 dB range, or if boosting more like 5-6 dB maybe increase the frequency to 50 Hz. We want some tilt so that output increases as frequency drops. But not too much. Watch how the subwoofer curve changes as you vary the deep bass controls.

The downside is that this adjustment is going to affect all profiles, with room gain elevated or not, so not as easy to compare as before with a subwoofer level offset in a specific profile. If you still need to have a profile with room gain, can compensate for the deep bass boost by reducing the subwoofer output trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Why is this? My room gain set to 1.85 after running ARC. You're getting better bass by removing that measurement?
IMHO, room gain does not help achieve the best tonal balance, regardless of the theory. I have never needed that midbass region emphasized with Audysssey, Dirac, or Trinnov, nor with my home-brew manual EQ these many years based on my preference. YMMV. That's why I say to try it before you buy it.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"

Last edited by Roger Dressler; 05-10-2019 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Strike out nonsense. ;-)
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #7455 of 8329 Old 05-10-2019, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HeffeMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,509
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Hello all,
As I stated in a previous post Genesis set all my speakers including the sub about 3db louder. Rather than dissecting the graphs I started to listen to 5.1 music as well as watch some movies. What ever it did it sounds Allot better! I only ran Arc one time and created 4 different profiles for the first run through of 5 positions. I have never felt such good Atmos and 5.1 sound steering like this before. I have owned MRX 700-1120 and I have never heard ARC make this much of a difference. I would like to add I still listen to 2.0 without arc and use unprocessed analog via a Schiit Yiggy!

Regards
Jeff
jmacari likes this.
HeffeMusic is offline  
post #7456 of 8329 Old 05-10-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,714
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Here's another idea. Rather than raising the subwoofer gain trim to compensate for weaker bass after reducing room gain, use the Deep Bass Boost control in the global targets. Use 40 Hz for boost of 1-3 dB range, or if boosting more like 5-6 dB maybe increase the frequency to 50 Hz. We want some tilt so that output increases as frequency drops. But not too much. Watch how the subwoofer curve changes as you vary the deep bass controls.

The downside is that this adjustment is going to affect all profiles, with room gain elevated or not, so not as easy to compare as before with a subwoofer level offset in a specific profile. If you still need to have a profile with room gain, can compensate for the deep bass boost by reducing the subwoofer output trim.
I wasn't sure what you meant by the last paragraph because each profile has it's own room gain and deep bass boost independent of the other profiles. It sounded like you were saying the room gain, and deep bass boost were global settings that effected all profiles.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is offline  
post #7457 of 8329 Old 05-10-2019, 12:42 PM
Senior Member
 
bigdogaxis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0 View Post
Looking at purchasing a 520 or 720. I have a 2.2 setup of GoldenEar Triton 2's. Any tips or tricks or known issues beyond what appears to be a serious gimp in wifi/ethernet capabilities as noted above?
Based on my understanding of your question, the key difference between the 520 & 720 for you is power. The 720 shares the same internals as the 1120, whereas the 520 is a step down. All of that is for naught if you have a separate amp powering your Tritons.

Another option is the STR which would be perfect for a 2.2 setup.

As for streaming, I simply use my Oppo.

My equipment: JVC RS-55, SI Performance 120" 1.3 gain, OPPO BDP-105, ANTHEM MRX-1120, QNAP 469L NAS, ROKU 4.
MartinLogan speakers and subs. M/ASlim5 Rack, CalMAN 5 Enthusiast/C6 meter.

Last edited by bigdogaxis; 05-10-2019 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Clarification
bigdogaxis is offline  
post #7458 of 8329 Old 05-10-2019, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bill-99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,575
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 536
ARC Genesis Results?

For those of you trying ARC Genesis, I have a couple of questions.

1. The comments about ARC Genesis coming out a couple of dB hotter are interesting. At times my ARC-2 results seemed to have had the volume lowered a couple of dB but it's tough to be sure. How does that compare to your ARC-2 experience?

2. It's pretty typical when comparing speakers for the louder speaker to be perceived as better. Given that ARC Genesis is coming out a couple of dB hotter, is sound quality actually better or just louder?

3. Early posts on results call out more detail, more active surround channels, and better dialog clarity. Is this looking accurate, i.e. is ARC Genesis better or is it just different?

Just one more upgrade and things will be perfect.
Bill-99 is offline  
post #7459 of 8329 Old 05-10-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,517
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2977 Post(s)
Liked: 1741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
I wasn't sure what you meant by the last paragraph because each profile has it's own room gain and deep bass boost independent of the other profiles. It sounded like you were saying the room gain, and deep bass boost were global settings that effected all profiles.
Good point. Sorry l missed that these (deep bass and room gain) are individually adjustable per profile. All the better.
GeekWave likes this.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"

Last edited by Roger Dressler; 05-10-2019 at 07:06 PM. Reason: clarity
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #7460 of 8329 Old 05-10-2019, 02:25 PM
Member
 
Hairsonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Newport, Rhode Island
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Most (probably all) of you folks are brighter than I am but I noticed that after I ran the ARC Genesis and then uploaded those settings to my AVM 60 - when I went in to the speaker calibration menu I noticed that all the settings matched what I had in my calibration file except for the subwoofers. The file said O db but the menu said +3 db. I called Anthem and they told me that the sub is set based on the room gain figure, and it is an anomaly of the Genesis program as it only affects the subs setting in the menu. I guess I am just saying "hey, I didn't know that and now I do." I really am impressed with the sound that the Genesis ARC has calibrated.
Hairsonfire is offline  
post #7461 of 8329 Old 05-10-2019, 02:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
For those of you trying ARC Genesis, I have a couple of questions.

1. The comments about ARC Genesis coming out a couple of dB hotter are interesting. At times my ARC-2 results seemed to have had the volume lowered a couple of dB but it's tough to be sure. How does that compare to your ARC-2 experience?

2. It's pretty typical when comparing speakers for the louder speaker to be perceived as better. Given that ARC Genesis is coming out a couple of dB hotter, is sound quality actually better or just louder?

3. Early posts on results call out more detail, more active surround channels, and better dialog clarity. Is this looking accurate, i.e. is ARC Genesis better or is it just different?
My results after running the ARC Genesis calibration, is that Genesis is about 12 dB lower than my previous ARC-2 calibration. Ultimately, I am not concerned with what number is displayed on the AVM60, but still interesting to me. I would say that I initially like Genesis a bit better. I need more time to run the paces and listen to more content. I do notice that the surrounds and heights seemed more pronounced. Also, I still prefer ARC off for 2.2 channel music listening.

I've attached my results if any of the experienced users would like to provide their thoughts. Thanks in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ACR 5-9-19.pdf (402.7 KB, 31 views)
Bill-99 likes this.
BassMojo is online now  
post #7462 of 8329 Old 05-10-2019, 02:55 PM
Member
 
Bittermidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMojo View Post
My results after running the ARC Genesis calibration, is that Genesis is about 12 dB lower than my previous ARC-2 calibration. Ultimately, I am not concerned with what number is displayed on the AVM60, but still interesting to me. I would say that I initially like Genesis a bit better. I need more time to run the paces and listen to more content. I do notice that the surrounds and heights seemed more pronounced. Also, I still prefer ARC off for 2.2 channel music listening.

I've attached my results if any of the experienced users would like to provide their thoughts. Thanks in advance.
The graphs all look decent on paper and sounds like you're satisfied with the way it sounds.

Only things I would mention is your FL and FR speakers have a decibel difference between them. Could be mic placement location or a seat back/reflection point, but I personally would always want these main channel levels to be the same. Second thing relates to your R/L surround channel levels being 4 dB different (4 vs. 8 I believe). Either they are way different distances from your main listening position, or ARC is saying they have serious output differences. 4 dB is a lot of difference between L/R surround channels (assuming they are the same speaker models). I wouldn't dwell on any of this, but just something to ponder.
BassMojo likes this.

JVC DLA-X790R, Seymour AV Centerstage UF 2.40:1 tensioned electric screen w/ motorized masking, Anthem AVM 60, Jim Holtz Statements L/C/R, SVS SB-16 Ultra (X2), Oppo UDP-203, Parasound Halo A-21, Parasound Halo A-51, Bluesound Node 2i, miniDSP 2X4 HD, NVIDIA Shield 2015, QNAP 453Pro
Bittermidget is offline  
post #7463 of 8329 Old 05-10-2019, 03:05 PM
Member
 
GeekWave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Glad to see you guys are enjoying better sound.

Here's another idea. Rather than raising the subwoofer gain trim to compensate for weaker bass after reducing room gain, use the Deep Bass Boost control in the global targets. Use 40 Hz for boost of 1-3 dB range, or if boosting more like 5-6 dB maybe increase the frequency to 50 Hz. We want some tilt so that output increases as frequency drops. But not too much. Watch how the subwoofer curve changes as you vary the deep bass controls.

The downside is that this adjustment is going to affect all profiles, with room gain elevated or not, so not as easy to compare as before with a subwoofer level offset in a specific profile. If you still need to have a profile with room gain, can compensate for the deep bass boost by reducing the subwoofer output trim.
Thanks again Roger, I haven't tried Genesis yet. Wife and kids at a b'day party this afternoon, so hopefully that'll give me a chance to run the measurements. Soon as I do I will give this a go also and report back 👍

*Just checked out your Deadwood Theater thread.... Wow! very cool!
JOSOSA likes this.

Sources: NVidia Shield TV - Allo DigiOne Roon Endpoint - Panasonic UB-900
Audio: Anthem MRX-720 - Emotiva UPA1's - KEF R900's - Dual SVS-PB2000's (via MiniDSP 2x4)
Video: Panasonic TH-65DX900
FYI - I have NO affiliation with the media player 'Geek Wave' (cant change stupid name)
GeekWave is offline  
post #7464 of 8329 Old 05-10-2019, 03:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittermidget View Post
The graphs all look decent on paper and sounds like you're satisfied with the way it sounds.

Only things I would mention is your FL and FR speakers have a decibel difference between them. Could be mic placement location or a seat back/reflection point, but I personally would always want these main channel levels to be the same. Second thing relates to your R/L surround channel levels being 4 dB different (4 vs. 8 I believe). Either they are way different distances from your main listening position, or ARC is saying they have serious output differences. 4 dB is a lot of difference between L/R surround channels (assuming they are the same speaker models). I wouldn't dwell on any of this, but just something to ponder.
Thanks for your thoughts. I believe that the deltas are due to speaker placement. The FL & FR are located with one having walls behind it and the other without. I am guessing that this could be the difference for FL & FR. The SR & SL is due to one being 4' and the other at 8'. So it makes sense to me. I like the way that it sounds.
BassMojo is online now  
post #7465 of 8329 Old 05-10-2019, 03:28 PM
Member
 
Bittermidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMojo View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. I believe that the deltas are due to speaker placement. The FL & FR are located with one having walls behind it and the other without. I am guessing that this could be the difference for FL & FR. The SR & SL is due to one being 4' and the other at 8'. So it makes sense to me. I like the way that it sounds.
And there you have it! Makes sense and is nice to see that ARC detects those differences.
BassMojo likes this.

JVC DLA-X790R, Seymour AV Centerstage UF 2.40:1 tensioned electric screen w/ motorized masking, Anthem AVM 60, Jim Holtz Statements L/C/R, SVS SB-16 Ultra (X2), Oppo UDP-203, Parasound Halo A-21, Parasound Halo A-51, Bluesound Node 2i, miniDSP 2X4 HD, NVIDIA Shield 2015, QNAP 453Pro
Bittermidget is offline  
post #7466 of 8329 Old 05-10-2019, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HeffeMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,509
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
For those of you trying ARC Genesis, I have a couple of questions.

1. The comments about ARC Genesis coming out a couple of dB hotter are interesting. At times my ARC-2 results seemed to have had the volume lowered a couple of dB but it's tough to be sure. How does that compare to your ARC-2 experience?

2. It's pretty typical when comparing speakers for the louder speaker to be perceived as better. Given that ARC Genesis is coming out a couple of dB hotter, is sound quality actually better or just louder?

3. Early posts on results call out more detail, more active surround channels, and better dialog clarity. Is this looking accurate, i.e. is ARC Genesis better or is it just different?
Hello,
All I can say is that it definitely is not a case of just increasing volume. So much more depth, levels in mix width clarity. I am just amazed at what I am hearing! I just listened to the SACD of wish you were here, and I have never heard it sound this good.

Regards,
Jeff
Bill-99 and Summa like this.
HeffeMusic is offline  
post #7467 of 8329 Old 05-10-2019, 10:31 PM
Member
 
Quattro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bloomington, MN
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Looking at upgrading my Emotiva Fusion receiver after I move to a new home later summer. Looking at the MRX720 or the NAD T-777. Anyone else consider these two and if you did, why did you chose the Anthem?

Second question, I watched a video review of the 720 and they mentioned you could watch a video source (let's say a sporting event on Dish) and play music via a different audio source. I currently do this with my Emotiva unit (they call it "last video") and really enjoy it. If the Anthem can do it, is there a name to this feature? Will it work for audio source from an HDMI input (AppleTV steaming my iTunes from my iMac)? Is this feature on the 520 and 1120, as well?

Thanks!
Quattro is offline  
post #7468 of 8329 Old 05-11-2019, 03:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
Delija's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NS
Posts: 629
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 285
You can combine any video input with any audio input - including HDMI. Just create appropriate "virtual" input preset.

Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V
Delija is offline  
post #7469 of 8329 Old 05-11-2019, 05:31 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,277
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5835 Post(s)
Liked: 8317
^ With one important exception: Audio coming in on an HDMI input can only be paired with video coming in on that SAME HDMI input.

This is because HDMI audio is embedded inside the HDMI video stream, and the hardware only has one processing path for handling an HDMI input stream.

So you can pair HDMI 1 video with HDMI 1 audio or with any Optical or Coax or Analog audio. But you can not pair HDMI 1 video with HDMI 2 audio or vice versa.

--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #7470 of 8329 Old 05-11-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
gdfein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Looking at upgrading my Emotiva Fusion receiver after I move to a new home later summer. Looking at the MRX720 or the NAD T-777. Anyone else consider these two and if you did, why did you chose the Anthem?



I’m considering the 720 and the 777 as well but having made my way through the 777 thread it sounds like users are having real issues with their units. Here in the Anthem thread other than “a little” grousing about Play-Fi, seems MRX users are very happy.


If anyone can share experience comparing Anthem’s ARC and Dirac RC in their system id be real interested.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gdfein is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off