Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 250 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13180Likes

post #7471 of 8173 Old 05-11-2019, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ With one important exception: Audio coming in on an HDMI input can only be paired with video coming in on that SAME HDMI input.

This is because HDMI audio is embedded inside the HDMI video stream, and the hardware only has one processing path for handling an HDMI input stream.

So you can pair HDMI 1 video with HDMI 1 audio or with any Optical or Coax or Analog audio. But you can not pair HDMI 1 video with HDMI 2 audio or vice versa.

--Bob
Thanks!

Of course, it's not the end of the world if I go old school, and send the HDMI from the Dish Hopper 3 directly to the TV and the optical to the receiver to accomplish my goal.

Last edited by Quattro; 05-11-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 8173 Old 05-11-2019, 09:11 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5795 Post(s)
Liked: 8267
^ Right, or you could wire BOTH HDMI and Optical from the Hopper to the Anthem, and simply select which you will be using when you set up each of the relevant Input definitions. I.e., use its HDMI audio while watching HDMI video from the Hopper, and use its Optical audio while viewing any other video source you care to pair it with.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #7473 of 8173 Old 05-11-2019, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 280
New version of Genesis is online:
https://www.anthemarc.com/downloads/index.php

Quote:
Version 1.0.1.8867:
- Added a new shortcut in the start menu that forces ARC Genesis to use the angle library rather than the GPU's (ims 1399)
- changes to preferences are commited on immediate exit (1371)
- loading indicator is now shown with device image image in middle on screen (1366)
- 'button' ui element can now support two lines of text (1380)
- removed duplicate completion text for reset eq screen (1373)
- added a browse for calibration file to mic selection screen (1390)
- fixed an issue where calibration files that included 'Anthem', 'Paradigm' or 'MartinLogan' in the filename were not supported (1390)
- fixed an issue where some code paths did not properly handle unicode text/paths (1390, 1391)
- added a web download link for manual calibration file download (1390)
- fixed the issue where some users were unable to download calibration files, or would get the 'critical audio problem' during the initialization phase of measurements (1390)
- filtered duplicate devices in the supported devices screen (1379)
- paired (left/right) MartinLogan Masterpiece series speakers now have a unique curve color for the left/right speaker (1384)
- fixed packaging of mac release where license.txt and firmware update files were not being copied to the application bundle (1400, 1378, 1398)

Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7474 of 8173 Old 05-11-2019, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdfein View Post
I’m considering the 720 and the 777 as well but having made my way through the 777 thread it sounds like users are having real issues with their units. Here in the Anthem thread other than “a little” grousing about Play-Fi, seems MRX users are very happy.

If anyone can share experience comparing Anthem’s ARC and Dirac RC in their system id be real interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve tried both. I never could fully dial in Dirac. It sounded better than Audyssey but not as good as ARC.
The bass I get from ARC is the best I’ve heard in my system. In total, the sound from ARC in my opinion and in my room is the best.

Boom Boom, out go the lights.
post #7475 of 8173 Old 05-11-2019, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis-g View Post
I’ve tried both. I never could fully dial in Dirac. It sounded better than Audyssey but not as good as ARC.
The bass I get from ARC is the best I’ve heard in my system. In total, the sound from ARC in my opinion and in my room is the best.

For the most part, I'm really happy with my results from Arc Genesis. The atmos channels especially have much better separation.
I am also noticing about 3db hotter calibration from genesis. Oddly, I use my mic from my MRX510 instead of the one from my 1120 because my 1120's mic always resulted in hotter calibration.
Bass calibration seems really good.
I did notice that it set my crossovers for front left/right to 200hz. Seeing as they're powered speakers, that makes some sense, but I'll probably need to run another calibration for a 2 channel setup.

So far though, really happy with the speed of genesis as well as the results.

EDIT: I guess I don't have to recalibrate.. adding another profile in genesis is really simple...

Speakers: Fronts: Triton One | Center: Supercenter XL | Surrounds: SuperSat 50 | Rear Surrounds: Invisa HTR 7000 | Atmos: 4x Invisa 650
Receiver: Anthem MRX 1120 | Electronics: XBOX One X, PS4 Pro, Roku Ultra, Chromecast Ultra | Power Management: Panamax M5400-PM
Projector: JVC DLA-NX9 | Screen: Screen Innovations Zero Edge Pro 135"
post #7476 of 8173 Old 05-11-2019, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdfein View Post
I’m considering the 720 and the 777 as well but having made my way through the 777 thread it sounds like users are having real issues with their units. Here in the Anthem thread other than “a little” grousing about Play-Fi, seems MRX users are very happy.

If anyone can share experience comparing Anthem’s ARC and Dirac RC in their system id be real interested.
I just recently upgraded from XMC-1 to MRX-720.... Spent a LOT of time with Dirac and it sounded pretty darn good. However, IMO ARC is on another level, which I was not expecting.

A basic summary would be: ARC bass integration is far superior, the sound stage is deeper which in turn feels more precise and overall sound is more natural, it still sounds 'analogue'. Dirac is good, the bass integration doesn't come close, the sound stage is very tight and clean although lacks the same depth and the overall sound has a hint of that 'digitized/processed' quality you'll hear people mention when discussing room correction. I think Dirac tries to do a little too much in comparison...?

Don't get me wrong, Dirac is VERY good and I certainly preferred it over Audessey, but ARC wins hands-down... IMHO

You might also want to ask this on a general room correction thread (if you haven't already), as there's likely to be a slight bias toward ARC here

Sources: NVidia Shield TV - Allo DigiOne Roon Endpoint - Panasonic UB-900
Audio: Anthem MRX-720 - Emotiva UPA1's - KEF R900's - Dual SVS-PB2000's (via MiniDSP 2x4)
Video: Panasonic TH-65DX900
FYI - I have NO affiliation with the media player 'Geek Wave' (cant change stupid name)
post #7477 of 8173 Old 05-11-2019, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 55
How can I get my Anthem MRX 720 ui if I’m using arc from my tv?
post #7478 of 8173 Old 05-11-2019, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Right, or you could wire BOTH HDMI and Optical from the Hopper to the Anthem, and simply select which you will be using when you set up each of the relevant Input definitions. I.e., use its HDMI audio while watching HDMI video from the Hopper, and use its Optical audio while viewing any other video source you care to pair it with.
--Bob
Great, thanks! I may be resurrect this post later this year if I buy the Anthem and can't figure it out

And thanks for folks chiming in on the NAD and Anthem. Makes my original leaning to the Anthem feel like the right move.

Last edited by Quattro; 05-11-2019 at 07:25 PM.
post #7479 of 8173 Old 05-11-2019, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post
How can I get my Anthem MRX 720 ui if I’m using arc from my tv?
Havent tried ARC, but I wouldn't think you could without switching MRX away from ARC input. You might be stuck with having to use the front panel display if you want to change settings while on ARC input.

Sources: NVidia Shield TV - Allo DigiOne Roon Endpoint - Panasonic UB-900
Audio: Anthem MRX-720 - Emotiva UPA1's - KEF R900's - Dual SVS-PB2000's (via MiniDSP 2x4)
Video: Panasonic TH-65DX900
FYI - I have NO affiliation with the media player 'Geek Wave' (cant change stupid name)
post #7480 of 8173 Old 05-11-2019, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekWave View Post
Havent tried ARC, but I wouldn't think you could without switching MRX away from ARC input. You might be stuck with having to use the front panel display if you want to change settings while on ARC input.
Haha. Thank you.
Any ideas how I could get tv audio to 720 and still have my ui? I don’t understand why it wouldn’t work.

I want to connect my consoles to my new LG C9 so I can use auto low latency but need the ui for vol changes or anything else I may need.
post #7481 of 8173 Old 05-11-2019, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked: 2981
Quote:
Haha. Thank you.

Any ideas how I could get tv audio to 720 and still have my ui? I don’t understand why it wouldn’t work.

I want to connect my consoles to my new LG C9 so I can use auto low latency but need the ui for vol changes or anything else I may need.

Can’t be done.

ARC returns audio from the tv to the AVR but you would need to switch the LG to its ARC input to see AVR menus/UI.... the TV should show its volume indicator on screen but usually it won’t match what the AVR does (absolute volume.)

Even with eARC users will be required to switch to the eARV HDMI input on the tv to se UI from the AVR....
post #7482 of 8173 Old 05-12-2019, 12:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
New version of Genesis is online:
https://www.anthemarc.com/downloads/index.php
Based on the changelog of this version...I guess it is more of a stability fix for some annoying bugs for Mac OS users rather than any fundamental change to the calibration algorithm. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone...
post #7483 of 8173 Old 05-12-2019, 01:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Before ARC Genesis, Anthem's very own AnthemLogic-Music DSP mode sound "bloated" and too heavy on the bass which muddled the stereo sound stage. Now, the sound stage is wider with more refined stereo separation and more importantly, the bass integration with the mains has improved by leaps and bounds.
post #7484 of 8173 Old 05-12-2019, 01:20 AM

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Oh, I’ll have to try that out again. I gave up on the AnthemLogic movie mode because it sounded odd.

New Home Cinema: Sony VPL-VW760, Anthem MRX 1120, Q Acoustics 30x0 series speakers fronts, SVS Prime Elevation surround speakers, Proficient C791 Atmos, SVS PB2000 sub, Panasonic DMP-UB820, Apple TV, Pioneer CLD-D5V laserdisc, FetchTV, eeColor 3D LUT & Radiance XD-3D and ScreenTechnics CinemaSnap Hi Contrast 130" screen
post #7485 of 8173 Old 05-12-2019, 05:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
just got my 1120 going and have a few questions. first I tried using arc 2 to calibrate but it wouldn't accept the .cal file. has anyone had this problem? I used genesis and it worked without a problem but I found it rolled off high frequencies way too much. next question is how do you limit frequencies. only want to correct from 500 hz down. thank you
post #7486 of 8173 Old 05-12-2019, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2810 Post(s)
Liked: 1774
Quote:
Originally Posted by desray2k View Post
Before ARC Genesis, Anthem's very own AnthemLogic-Music DSP mode sound "bloated" and too heavy on the bass which muddled the stereo sound stage. Now, the sound stage is wider with more refined stereo separation and more importantly, the bass integration with the mains has improved by leaps and bounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vollans View Post
Oh, I’ll have to try that out again. I gave up on the AnthemLogic movie mode because it sounded odd.

That's interesting! I have yet to try ARC Genesis, just so behind on too many other things (I shouldn't even be on this forum right now...), but I've never had any issues with the Anthem Logic algorithms. Or so it seemed. I'm looking forward to getting Genesis running to try out, though I still don't know when I'll be able.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #7487 of 8173 Old 05-12-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings49 View Post
just got my 1120 going and have a few questions. first I tried using arc 2 to calibrate but it wouldn't accept the .cal file. has anyone had this problem? I used genesis and it worked without a problem but I found it rolled off high frequencies way too much. next question is how do you limit frequencies. only want to correct from 500 hz down. thank you

It’s all under the Adjust Target Settings tab.

post #7488 of 8173 Old 05-12-2019, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
ARC Front-Left Speaker Challenges - Look OK?

Hi All,
I have just run Genesis and wanted to ask for some advice, opinions on the results related mainly to my front-left speaker. My system is Anthem 720 with GoldenEar Triton One. The challenge I am dealing with is a cramped room situation, which is unavoidable. The speaker is positioned at the corner of a very large AV entertainment center, about 10" from the surface. To the left of the speaker (again 10" clearance) is a leather loveseat and behind and to the left is a corner space about 3x5' which I have filled with a tall decorative plant to try to mitigate reflections.

I ran Auto mode on the Genesis to see how that worked, before I would start to tweak the setup. Here attached are the curves. It looks like the bass up to 50hz is most affected.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or opinions. Some I have noted have decided to not use ARC for two-channel but I thought I'd give it a try with Genesis. What do you think?

Thanks, Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anthem Genesis Post Curves.PNG
Views:	47
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	2565748  
post #7489 of 8173 Old 05-12-2019, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Adding power amp to MRX720?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
I don't have problems with the sound quality, but with functionality and stability/bugs.

Bluesound has much better implementation and software, but doesn't support UPnP.
For me, UPnP is mandatory.
Hi Delija,
I wanted to touch on two points if you will. First, I am also interested in streaming. I purchased the Sonic Orbiter SE a few years ago and left it due to software conflicts with Pandora libraries (stopped working when I upgraded firmware). Ultimately I decided to switch to Spotify as a service and purchased a Volumio Primo streamer with DAC. I didn't really want the DAC but decided to try it out, experimenting with Anthem's internal vs Volumio's built-in Sabre. The SQ seems fine to me on Volumio, I think the soundstage is a bit deeper actually then the Anthem onboard DAC. Regardless though, I find the Volumio Primo buggy, especially with periodic but too regular drops in Spotify that last up to 30 seconds... so I'll be back in the market I think unless they can figure it out (I'm pretty sure it's a software problem). Interested to hear your endorsement of Bluesound. I may be more ok with no Upnp support as long as there is a good path to my Synlogy NAS. I'm just in search of a good user control experience on a stable platform that doesn't screw up the inputs too bad... :-)

Now the real reason for my note. I see that you are running a Halo A21 with your MRX720. Did you have the Paradigm when you bought the Anthem or was that a post-decision? I was thinking of beefing up my system but am hesitant if the impact isn't kind of "wow!". What was your motivation and experience? Thanks, Mark
post #7490 of 8173 Old 05-12-2019, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Mark,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

My need for bass management eliminates possibility of using external DAC.

That's why I'm so interested in comparisons between external streamer connected via S/PDIF vs internal streamer.

I'v already shared my experience with bitperfect PC as a source. DTS Play-Fi is better, without a doubt. I'm affraid that the limitation is in S/PDIF interface on Anthem. I still haven't tried some good external streamer in my system.

Speaking of Parasound - it does make a difference in my system. C60's are pretty power and current "hungry" speakers. Not like some old Dynaudio speakers, but they still need very potent amp. I bought it very soon after I bought MRX. But, that was part of my original plan - even before I bought MRX.

Last edited by Delija; 05-12-2019 at 08:51 AM.
post #7491 of 8173 Old 05-12-2019, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If I dont like the Genesis results, can I always go back and run ARC to get the settings back to how I like them?
post #7492 of 8173 Old 05-12-2019, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Of course. You can just upload ARC2 calibration settings.
post #7493 of 8173 Old 05-12-2019, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi
Big fan of ARC. Changed to ARC from Audyssey quite a while ago. Never really understood the graphs as I'm not that technical but do appreciate the sound. Ran ARC Genesis the other day. For a non-technical guy I think the sound stage sounds a little bigger and better blended. I have attached my PDF and would appreciate any thoughts. I did the 5 point calibration with the mic at all the same height.
Thanks
Phil
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Arc May 6 2019.pdf (633.9 KB, 24 views)

Prestige 85F Fronts , Prestige 55C center, CI Elite E65-R in ceiling surrounds,
Prestige 2000SW Subwoofer, Anthem MRX-1120 AVR, Anthem MCA 325 Power Amp
OLED65E6P, Sony UDP-X800 UHD Player, DUNE HD Solo 4K, Apple TV, XboxOneS, Zidoo X9S
post #7494 of 8173 Old 05-12-2019, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post
Can’t be done.

ARC returns audio from the tv to the AVR but you would need to switch the LG to its ARC input to see AVR menus/UI.... the TV should show its volume indicator on screen but usually it won’t match what the AVR does (absolute volume.)

Even with eARC users will be required to switch to the eARV HDMI input on the tv to se UI from the AVR....
Thanks.

How do I set up arc on my MRX720?
I’m running my Xbox one x to hdmi 1 on my lg C9. Hdmi 2 is arc on the C9. That’s going to hdmi 2 on my 720. 720 hdmi 2 is set arc for audio. I change to input 2 on 720. No sound from tv. I don’t get how to set up arc at all. But it seems pointless if I lose the Anthem ui. So ALLM and vrr don’t mean a damn thing as the 720 will not support that.
post #7495 of 8173 Old 05-13-2019, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Setup the input for HDMI arc. Then turn on cec. You have to pick the input when you want to use arc

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #7496 of 8173 Old 05-13-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris Kasey View Post
Setup the input for HDMI arc. Then turn on cec. You have to pick the input when you want to use arc

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Ahhhhhh. CEC. That is off on my Anthem. No wonder it didn’t work.

Does anyone know why we can’t get a receiver ui over arc? If someone wants the ui and don’t want to change the input all the time on the tv and receiver then arc is worthless.

I’m trying to get vrr and ALLM working. But the Anthem MRX720 don’t support that. So then I have to connect my Xbox one x and ps4 Pro directly to tv. That means losing the receiver ui. Stupid.
post #7497 of 8173 Old 05-13-2019, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

How do you imagine that AVR can mix OSD with picture which doesn't even go through AVR - it goes directly to TV?

Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V
post #7498 of 8173 Old 05-13-2019, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Ahhhhhh. CEC. That is off on my Anthem. No wonder it didn’t work.

Does anyone know why we can’t get a receiver ui over arc? If someone wants the ui and don’t want to change the input all the time on the tv and receiver then arc is worthless.

I’m trying to get vrr and ALLM working. But the Anthem MRX720 don’t support that. So then I have to connect my Xbox one x and ps4 Pro directly to tv. That means losing the receiver ui. Stupid.
If you're using the audio return channel, that means your TV is getting video outside of the Anthem gear, so the 720 can't display the menus. A simple work-around is to switch to a non-audio-return-channel input, such as a blu ray player connected to the 720. Then you can see the menus. Yeah, it's a pain to flip back and forth but it does work.

Just one more upgrade and things will be perfect.
post #7499 of 8173 Old 05-13-2019, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
If you're using the audio return channel, that means your TV is getting video outside of the Anthem gear, so the 720 can't display the menus. A simple work-around is to switch to a non-audio-return-channel input, such as a blu ray player connected to the 720. Then you can see the menus. Yeah, it's a pain to flip back and forth but it does work.
Thanks. But that means changing tv input too. So that’s changing the input on tv which is a pain kinda. Then changing input on Anthem. But that’s easy since you just push left or right on the Anthem remote arrows.
post #7500 of 8173 Old 05-13-2019, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Ah, right. Sorry. My system is set up under a harmony companion so it's a one button thing in my case.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Just one more upgrade and things will be perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page