Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 252 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13222Likes

post #7531 of 8308 Old 05-17-2019, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
I am running a 5 year old MRX510 that is still working well. I have not downloaded Genesis yet but will at some point.

As my 2009 Pioneer plasma ages more and more and will likely be replaced sooner than later, should I be taking a good look at the MRX720 with the 20% off sale running now or wait for possible newer models that may or may not be coming out over say the next year or so.

I am running a 5.1 system and no real thoughts of Atmos speakers so I am also wondering if hanging on the the 510 really makes more sense right now. If it aint broke, dont fix it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7532 of 8308 Old 05-17-2019, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Well if your getting a new TV probably something 4k HDR and Dolby vision. I don't think the MRX710 will pass thru any of the formats.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #7533 of 8308 Old 05-17-2019, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, any new TV would be 4K with HDR and DV. Kind of hard to pull the trigger on a $2K and up TV (likely 65" OLED) when the Pioneer still looks really good. I know a new TV would look awesome as well.

Really kicking myself for not grabbing an Oppo 203 with HDMI in and dual HDMI out as I think that could have bypassed the lack of passthrough. Currently using an Oppo 103.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7534 of 8308 Old 05-17-2019, 04:16 PM

I would wait for the next gen of anthem stuff. Or try to find a used one.

gbreda likes this.
post #7535 of 8308 Old 05-17-2019, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The voice of reason. Are you sure this is AVS?
post #7536 of 8308 Old 05-17-2019, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
I am running a 5 year old MRX510 that is still working well. I have not downloaded Genesis yet but will at some point.

As my 2009 Pioneer plasma ages more and more and will likely be replaced sooner than later, should I be taking a good look at the MRX720 with the 20% off sale running now or wait for possible newer models that may or may not be coming out over say the next year or so.

I am running a 5.1 system and no real thoughts of Atmos speakers so I am also wondering if hanging on the the 510 really makes more sense right now. If it aint broke, dont fix it
I own both a MRX510 and AVM60 in different systems. My opinion is the only thing you would really gain with a 720 over your 510 is 4K/HRD switching and a few WiFi features that may or may not work consistently for you. I would milk that awesome plasma for all it's worth and keep the 510. If the Plasma dies tomorrow, get yourself a new OLED and run the 4K video right to the TV and use a Harmony to handle the input switching.

Just another opinion.
gbreda and Norris Kasey like this.

JVC DLA-X790R, Seymour AV Centerstage UF 2.40:1 tensioned electric screen w/ motorized masking, Anthem AVM 60, Jim Holtz Statements L/C/R, SVS SB-16 Ultra (X2), Oppo UDP-203, Parasound Halo A-21, Parasound Halo A-51, Bluesound Node 2i, miniDSP 2X4 HD, NVIDIA Shield 2015, QNAP 453Pro
post #7537 of 8308 Old 05-17-2019, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittermidget View Post
I own both a MRX510 and AVM60 in different systems. My opinion is the only thing you would really gain with a 720 over your 510 is 4K/HRD switching and a few WiFi features that may or may not work consistently for you. I would milk that awesome plasma for all it's worth and keep the 510. If the Plasma dies tomorrow, get yourself a new OLED and run the 4K video right to the TV and use a Harmony to handle the input switching.

Just another opinion.
Thanks, thats good information on the 510 to AVM60 comparison.

As I still have a B&K 200.5 amp around, I did think briefly of the AVM60. But since very efficient speakers and also not listening anywhere near as loud as my younger days, I like the simpler setup. Especially with the great sounding MRX.

From what I have been reading here, genesis may very well enhance my sound even more.
post #7538 of 8308 Old 05-17-2019, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis-g View Post
I’ve tried both. I never could fully dial in Dirac. It sounded better than Audyssey but not as good as ARC.
The bass I get from ARC is the best I’ve heard in my system. In total, the sound from ARC in my opinion and in my room is the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm considering getting a Martin Logan Dynamo Subwoofer, primarily because they include ARC with their subwoofers.
post #7539 of 8308 Old 05-17-2019, 09:27 PM

Are you guys experimenting with the bass boost in Genesis? If so how many DB are you going up?

post #7540 of 8308 Old 05-17-2019, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 28
If I don't buy an 8k TV in the near future and I'm not a gamer, is there really anything I'm going to notice in the future HDMI 2.1 world? Sounds like extra bandwidth for color gamut and audio. I'm guessing I'm not going to notice this improvement. Because of this, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the 720 versus waiting for the future 730 which I'm assuming will have HDMI 2.1 (and who knows what other improvements).

On a side note, what does something like this Cambridge Audio streamer (the CXN v2) do above and beyond DTS Play-Fi?https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/e...ucts/cx/cxn-v2
post #7541 of 8308 Old 05-17-2019, 10:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 367
I have a 720 that just arrived and will be setting it up this weekend. I've been looking everywhere for a dolby atmos demo disc, but the only ones I can find are from people overcharging on Ebay. I'm interested in downloading the "Leaf" atmos demo from the Dolby website, but wasn't sure if a flash usb drive could be used for playback on the 720. Is that port only specified for firmware updates, or is it accessible for playing downloaded files?

thanks
post #7542 of 8308 Old 05-18-2019, 02:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
Yeah, any new TV would be 4K with HDR and DV. Kind of hard to pull the trigger on a $2K and up TV (likely 65" OLED) when the Pioneer still looks really good. I know a new TV would look awesome as well.

Really kicking myself for not grabbing an Oppo 203 with HDMI in and dual HDMI out as I think that could have bypassed the lack of passthrough. Currently using an Oppo 103.
Most 4k blu ray players have dual hdmi out. Sony, Pioneer do. Just not hdmi in. I never use hdmi in on my 203, but I do use the dual out, even with the MRX-520 that can pass thru these formats, mainly because much of the time my 203 is an audio player.
gbreda likes this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #7543 of 8308 Old 05-18-2019, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
Most 4k blu ray players have dual hdmi out. Sony, Pioneer do. Just not hdmi in. I never use hdmi in on my 203, but I do use the dual out, even with the MRX-520 that can pass thru these formats, mainly because much of the time my 203 is an audio player.
Good to know-still should have grabbed a 203 when i had the chance-and I did have the chance as I was on the mailing list for them after the announcement.......

I just noticed your post time of 5:13am my time. At that time I had just been woken up by and was chasing off a bear that was in the bird feeder behind the house LOL. Time to take in the feeders here in new hampshire, at least overnight.
post #7544 of 8308 Old 05-18-2019, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 285
I've done measurements and calibration today.

Compared with ARC2, all speaker levels are +3dB, the SPL on same MV is 4dB higher with ARC / 3dB without ARC - the difference in SPL with and without ARC on the same MV was 3dB with ARC2 and now is 2dB with Genesis.

If you take a look at the EQ curves in ARC2 and Genesis, the main difference could be easily seen around max EQ frequency - in Genesis the limit is more strict.

What can be heard on the very first listening is the changed balance of surround speakers - they are somewhat louder than with ARC2, causing the sound to be a little more immersive. Even center speaker appears to be a little better integrated into front soundstage.

Besides that, it also appears that the sound is a little more dynamic, but that could be related with the previous observations.

So far, I haven't heard any digital clipping/distortion.

Also, I didn't have any issues with any step in process. Everything works just fine.

For stereo / critical listening, it's still better without ARC. No doubt.
Jonas2, Norris Kasey and SteveC356 like this.

Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V
post #7545 of 8308 Old 05-18-2019, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 25
[quote=WLC;58054294]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph3ng View Post
Finally managed to download ARC Genesis and do a quick set up. What are your thoughts on the curves/measurements below?
As with mine, you have some speakers that are greater than 12, which is the maximum that my AVM60 can raise the level to. I raised the trim on the speakers to compensate. For example, my surrounds were 14 and 15. So, to compensate, I raised the trim for the surrounds by 3. My backs were 12 + 13, so I raised them by 1.
In your case, Your FR, Sub, SR and SL are greater than 12. If you are interested, I'd like to know whether your system sounds better if you were to raised the trims accordingly. With the sub, if you can, I would just raise the volume in the sub itself by the necessary amount.

After making this adjustment, my system sounds the best it has ever sounded. Wonderful, layered, rich and textured, particularly the bass.
Apologies for the late reply. I've been working weekends here. I'll give it a go and see. Cheers.
post #7546 of 8308 Old 05-18-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desray2k View Post
I don’t think you can just swap out a new mike just like that. Let’s not forget that the mic that comes packaged with the Anthem products are individually calibrated to conform to their reference (need to download the mic calibration file) to work with Anthem product itself.

UMik-1 mike has its own calibrated file but does not conform to the reference set by Anthem products, hence it won’t work and even if does recognise by Anthem, I doubt the results will be any good.

Thanks all for responding.
post #7547 of 8308 Old 05-18-2019, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 229
To me, ARC Genesis is a game changer for Anthem products. On par with Dirac, anyone with both can comment?

Sent from my CMR-W09 using Tapatalk
Legairre and Jonas2 like this.
post #7548 of 8308 Old 05-18-2019, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
To me, ARC Genesis is a game changer for Anthem products. On par with Dirac, anyone with both can comment?

Sent from my CMR-W09 using Tapatalk
Totally agree. It's like I have a whole new MRX 720. Anthem could have easily put out a new MRX line and ARC Genesis that only worked on the new line to get everyone to upgrade. Big time kudos to Anthem for making Genesis available to the current line for free. Genesis has completely transformed my 720.
seplant, desray2k, nucky and 1 others like this.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #7549 of 8308 Old 05-19-2019, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Totally agree. It's like I have a whole new MRX 720. Anthem could have easily put out a new MRX line and ARC Genesis that only worked on the new line to get everyone to upgrade. Big time kudos to Anthem for making Genesis available to the current line for free. Genesis has completely transformed my 720.
Agree. Thanks Anthem
Jonas2 likes this.
post #7550 of 8308 Old 05-19-2019, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I am not a critical listener, but bought a MRX 720 to handle my 5.1.2 theater system and use ARC2 to help with lots of floor to ceiling windows and bare walls in our family room. I was happy with ARC2 and how it handled my complex room layout for two years. I wasn’t expecting much better with Genesis, but boy was I surprised. I haven’t tinkered with any of the default adjustments and it sounds like nothing I have had before in the most amazing way. The sound stage seems widened and more engulfing. I compare it to when my Sony A1E flips to Dolby Vision: it’s like the TV is flexing its muscles. The MRX now does the same thing but for all content. Well done Anthem and thank you for making this a no cost upgrade!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Jonas2 likes this.

Main: YouTubeTV -> Apple TV 4k -> Anthem MRX 720 (5.1.2 DTS:Neural X) <-> Sony 65A1E
Den: Apple TV -> Pioneer Kuro PDP-5010FD

DTS beats Dolby.
post #7551 of 8308 Old 05-19-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
If I don't buy an 8k TV in the near future and I'm not a gamer, is there really anything I'm going to notice in the future HDMI 2.1 world? Sounds like extra bandwidth for color gamut and audio. I'm guessing I'm not going to notice this improvement. Because of this, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the 720 versus waiting for the future 730 which I'm assuming will have HDMI 2.1 (and who knows what other improvements).

On a side note, what does something like this Cambridge Audio streamer (the CXN v2) do above and beyond DTS Play-Fi?https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/e...ucts/cx/cxn-v2
Really tough questions! All I have to offer is some speculation.

IMO, the improvements that HDMI 2.1 will make possible are highly desirable. On the video side, it means 8K and higher frame rates. On the audio side, it means eARC – lossless audio + Atmos / DTS:X from your TV back to your AVR or processor. Who wouldn’t want all of that?

The harder part is the timing. How long until all of this is available? At what point does it make sense to jump in? I’ll speculate that there are a lot of marketing types that will try to help us answer that.

We're in kind of a weird place at the moment. 8K TVs are starting to appear. ATSC 3.0 should roll-out this year and next, and that could help drive HDMI 2.1 adoption. My guess is that a lot of questions will get sorted out over the next couple of years.

So that leaves you with Anthem gear today that doesn't handle HDMI 2.1, 8K or eARC. Those seem likely to be in the next product generation. So the questions likely come back to you. How long are you willing to wait for new capabilities on the horizon? How long must an AVR last for you to be satisfied with the "good value" part of the acquisition?

Just one more upgrade and things will be perfect.
post #7552 of 8308 Old 05-19-2019, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
Really tough questions! All I have to offer is some speculation.

IMO, the improvements that HDMI 2.1 will make possible are highly desirable. On the video side, it means 8K and higher frame rates. On the audio side, it means eARC – lossless audio + Atmos / DTS:X from your TV back to your AVR or processor. Who wouldn’t want all of that?

The harder part is the timing. How long until all of this is available? At what point does it make sense to jump in? I’ll speculate that there are a lot of marketing types that will try to help us answer that.

We're in kind of a weird place at the moment. 8K TVs are starting to appear. ATSC 3.0 should roll-out this year and next, and that could help drive HDMI 2.1 adoption. My guess is that a lot of questions will get sorted out over the next couple of years.

So that leaves you with Anthem gear today that doesn't handle HDMI 2.1, 8K or eARC. Those seem likely to be in the next product generation. So the questions likely come back to you. How long are you willing to wait for new capabilities on the horizon? How long must an AVR last for you to be satisfied with the "good value" part of the acquisition?
And the second part of that consideration is, do you wait for the next generation before you purchase, then go through a year of updates and fixes before the thing works properly.

The industry views us as "free" beta testers these days, which is why I rarely early adopt.
Bill-99 and SteveC356 like this.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #7553 of 8308 Old 05-19-2019, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
And the second part of that consideration is, do you wait for the next generation before you purchase, then go through a year of updates and fixes before the thing works properly.

The industry views us as "free" beta testers these days, which is why I rarely early adopt.

For Anthem MRX x20 series, it’s already in the market for 3 yrs now. So everyone is abit reluctant to commit a 3 yr old model when a new model might be just around the corner with HDMI 2.1 specs to take advantage of the 8K amongst other things. But the fact is when it comes to audio, unless there is a major breakthrough in some surround sound formats, it’s harder to justify to get the newer model. That’s just my opinion regarding this predicament most of us are in right now.

post #7554 of 8308 Old 05-19-2019, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakar80124 View Post
I'm considering getting a Martin Logan Dynamo Subwoofer, primarily because they include ARC with their subwoofers.
Hi, do you have a pre-amp/processor which has room-correction or any other form of PEQ that you're planning to use?

If so, I would advise NOT running additional EQ on your subs. Doubling-up like this can cause all sorts of nasties. I've heard such practice discussed and frowned upon many times over the years, in fact Rob from AV Rant and Gene from Audioholics just recently ranted about not doing that. In which case, there is no need to go purchase Martin Logan subs just for ARC if you already apply some form of EQ beforehand.

What I (and any others) would advise however, if you're running multiple subs, make sure they are SPL matched and time aligned outside of the processor/receiver, but not EQ'd. Let your room-correction within processor take care of that.

Bass integration is not only about the sub(s) being tuned in isolation with each other, but also about their integration with your mains.

Sources: NVidia Shield TV - Allo DigiOne Roon Endpoint - Panasonic UB-900
Audio: Anthem MRX-720 - Emotiva UPA1's - KEF R900's - Dual SVS-PB2000's (via MiniDSP 2x4)
Video: Panasonic TH-65DX900
FYI - I have NO affiliation with the media player 'Geek Wave' (cant change stupid name)
post #7555 of 8308 Old 05-19-2019, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris Kasey View Post
Are you guys experimenting with the bass boost in Genesis? If so how many DB are you going up?
Yep, 3dB with 80Hz center.
Norris Kasey likes this.

Sources: NVidia Shield TV - Allo DigiOne Roon Endpoint - Panasonic UB-900
Audio: Anthem MRX-720 - Emotiva UPA1's - KEF R900's - Dual SVS-PB2000's (via MiniDSP 2x4)
Video: Panasonic TH-65DX900
FYI - I have NO affiliation with the media player 'Geek Wave' (cant change stupid name)
post #7556 of 8308 Old 05-19-2019, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Quote:
For Anthem MRX x20 series, it’s already in the market for 3 yrs now. So everyone is abit reluctant to commit a 3 yr old model when a new model might be just around the corner with HDMI 2.1 specs to take advantage of the 8K amongst other things. But the fact is when it comes to audio, unless there is a major breakthrough in some surround sound formats, it’s harder to justify to get the newer model. That’s just my opinion regarding this predicament most of us are in right now.

Today, I watched the PGA Championship in 1080i with Dolby 5.1 sound just like I have for over a decade. Same for the final episode of Game of Thrones.

it's still dang hard to tell the difference between the top-end 1080p and 4K. 8K from 12 feet won't look a lick different than 4K. Projectors can't do Dolby Vision or HDR10+. We still don't know which format will win between those two. HDR is a all kinds of mess right now.

Streaming is still woefully inept, and and now this HDMI 2.1 thing looms. Broadcast television will soon to be 3 generations behind the newest resolution. We're all gearing up for 9.1.6 when material isn't even mixed with that format.

I love the idea of much higher refresh rates improving panning and motion, but what will be the practical application of it. And when? The 8K thing is....meh. Until the content picks up serious steam, we've reached a point of vastly diminishing return.

How many people will replace every cable and ever device in their system.for a trickle of discs, many of which will just be remakes of the remakes we've already bought for our systems.

I think my AVM 60 will be in place for a good long while.
Bittermidget and Nikola Tesla like this.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #7557 of 8308 Old 05-19-2019, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Thanks for all the replies to my question!
post #7558 of 8308 Old 05-20-2019, 01:58 AM

Colour me silly. But how do you adjust the trim levels per channel post Genesis? Most of my speakers have been calibrated to +12db (at maximum on the 720).

It was suggested that I raise the trim levels per speaker so I can lower the dB from +12

Thanks in advance.
post #7559 of 8308 Old 05-20-2019, 06:43 AM
WLC

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 163
trim levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph3ng View Post
Colour me silly. But how do you adjust the trim levels per channel post Genesis? Most of my speakers have been calibrated to +12db (at maximum on the 720).

It was suggested that I raise the trim levels per speaker so I can lower the dB from +12

Thanks in advance.
My suggestion is that you raise the trim level on the speakers that are supposed to be calibrated greater than 12 to compensate for the limit of 12. Trim Level is covered on page 44, 5.6 Trim Level, of the manual. Your FR, SR and SL are supposed to be greater than 12 according to Genesis. My suggestion is to raise the trim levels using the level control on your remote control for the Front speakers and Surrounds. In addition, raise the sub volume the necessary dbs in the sub itself. There is no suggestion that you lower the db from 12.

Hope this helps.
post #7560 of 8308 Old 05-20-2019, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Today, I watched the PGA Championship in 1080i with Dolby 5.1 sound just like I have for over a decade. Same for the final episode of Game of Thrones.

it's still dang hard to tell the difference between the top-end 1080p and 4K. 8K from 12 feet won't look a lick different than 4K. Projectors can't do Dolby Vision or HDR10+. We still don't know which format will win between those two. HDR is a all kinds of mess right now.

Streaming is still woefully inept, and and now this HDMI 2.1 thing looms. Broadcast television will soon to be 3 generations behind the newest resolution. We're all gearing up for 9.1.6 when material isn't even mixed with that format.

I love the idea of much higher refresh rates improving panning and motion, but what will be the practical application of it. And when? The 8K thing is....meh. Until the content picks up serious steam, we've reached a point of vastly diminishing return.

How many people will replace every cable and ever device in their system.for a trickle of discs, many of which will just be remakes of the remakes we've already bought for our systems.

I think my AVM 60 will be in place for a good long while.
I agree that 1080p vs 4K isn't as dramatic of a difference as might be expected though it perhaps depends on source material, screen size, quality of upscaling, and distance from the screen. The biggest difference is the presence of HDR with 4K content, the quality of which varies quite a bit. It would be nice to see HDR mature so that we can focus on The Next Big Thing, whatever that is. How much 8K will bring to the party is hard to say. If it follows the 4K pattern, I think the most likely early benefit will be upscaled content for cleaner display on progressively larger screens.

Broadcast TV being 3 generations out looks like a short term issue. If the reports are accurate (a big "if"), ATSC 3.0 will be deployed in 40 markets by the end of 2020. That makes broadcast 4K and lossless audio possible though how content providers will adopted it isn't clear.

As for replacing disks, that seems very unlikely to me. It's starting to look like the end of the disk era is near. Disk sales are down. Oppo and Samsung have abandoned the blu-ray player market. Unfortunately, physical media are still SOTA right now offering 4K, hdr, lossless audio, Atmos / DTS:X. Streaming services offer (limited) 4K content but no lossless audio AFAIK.

Yeah, we're in kind of a weird place right now.

Just one more upgrade and things will be perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page